PDA

View Full Version : Georgia State to the Sunbelt?

glsjunior
April 21st, 2011, 11:25 AM
Speculation from pigskin u blog.

http://www.pigskinu.com/justsayin/2011/04/sun-belt-conference-plan/

He was on local radio here in Atlanta this morning.

http://www.790thezone.com/instantreplay/Episodes.aspx?PID=1773

about the 3rd link down.

His reasons sound logical, though I think the Sunbelt is insisting on adding to the conference from teams already in FBS.

Tuscon
April 21st, 2011, 12:32 PM
Good gosh, I can't wait for people to stop trying to turn EVERY thread we start into a smack talk thread. If you don't like us, post it over there. Don't hijack our thread about relevant talk of our program. If the GS guys can figure it out, I'm pretty sure you can.

jmu_duke07
April 21st, 2011, 12:48 PM
Good gosh... I can't wait for the almighty Panthers to go to some sort of FBS conference so their fans can get the F off of our website and stop posting amateur blog postings about how they are destined for the SEC because they are in the Mecca of the West, filthy Atlanta.

/rant

My therapist says I should express my feelings outward more often.

HAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAAHAHA

Looking at your avatar I thought you were a UDEL Chicken talking about caazone (of which the same could be said).

blackcaesar3k5
April 21st, 2011, 01:10 PM
Georgia State should at least wait seven years make the move to FBS..

glsjunior
April 21st, 2011, 01:24 PM
Maybe so. But moving quickly didn't hurt South Florida any.

Blueandwhitefightfight
April 21st, 2011, 01:59 PM
xeyebrowx

panama
April 21st, 2011, 04:44 PM
*sigh*

gls, why even bother posting this here?

FormerPokeCenter
April 21st, 2011, 04:46 PM
Personally, I think Lambuth would have been a better fit for the Slumbelt, but I guess now we'll never know....

LeadBolt
April 21st, 2011, 04:53 PM
Since reading this I've pencilled Ga State in as 2015 SunBelt champions

FormerPokeCenter
April 21st, 2011, 05:00 PM
Since reading this I've pencilled Ga State in as 2015 SunBelt champions

No disrespect to Georgia Sate, but winning the Sunbelt doesn't prove much....

panama
April 21st, 2011, 05:01 PM
...and we're off

Like I said, why even post it.

jmufan999
April 21st, 2011, 05:31 PM
i hope GSU does leave... the sooner the Slum Belt gets filled up the harder it will be for JMU to join (if they were invited). i want to stay in FCS as long as possible.... obviously a BCS invite would change my opinion but of course that's not happening. i see no point of going 12-0 and being rewarded with a bowl that no one cares about.

i realize there is more money with bowls, but i don't care about money at all. i know WHY schools do it, but bowls are just completely pointless in my opinion.

henfan
April 21st, 2011, 05:34 PM
i realize there is more money with bowls, but i don't care about money at all. i know WHY schools do it, but bowls are just completely pointless in my opinion.

Alas, most schools lose money on bowl games.

jmufan999
April 21st, 2011, 05:39 PM
by the way, i just looked it up... the Sun Belt champ gets an autobid to the New Orleans Bowl. they play the C-USA champ. New Orleans is cool and all, but the game drew under 30K last year (capacity at the Superdome is 73K for football). app state and montana are hitting those kinds of numbers on a normal saturday (or close to it)....

if you guys want the Sun Belt, i say go for it.

The Eagle's Cliff
April 21st, 2011, 06:13 PM
by the way, i just looked it up... the Sun Belt champ gets an autobid to the New Orleans Bowl. they play the C-USA champ. New Orleans is cool and all, but the game drew under 30K last year (capacity at the Superdome is 73K for football). app state and montana are hitting those kinds of numbers on a normal saturday (or close to it)....

if you guys want the Sun Belt, i say go for it.

Playing in a nearly empty dome would at least be familiar.

Seriously, I don't doubt that Ga State will get an FBS invite IF their football program survives. Conferences want to go to the media with market coverage numbers which are attractive to sponsors. UCF is a good example of this. Hardly anyone in Orlando cares about or watches the Knights, but that doesn't matter in media. The conference can go to sponsors and say "this is our market coverage which includes .........Orlando". Same goes for Ga State in Atlanta, USA in Mobile, USF in Tampa, etc.

Ga State probably fits pretty well in the Sun Belt, but they're going to need more money. Student fees for athletics are already the highest in the state:http://www.usg.edu/fiscal_affairs/documents/tuition_and_fees/FY2011_Mandatory_Fees.pdf
and there's no more room for further increases. Seven years starting with 2010 is probably about right for evaluating the question.

panama
April 21st, 2011, 06:29 PM
What was the attendance at the FCS Championship in Frisco, TX?

panama
April 21st, 2011, 06:40 PM
Playing in a nearly empty dome would at least be familiar.

Seriously, I don't doubt that Ga State will get an FBS invite IF their football program survives. Conferences want to go to the media with market coverage numbers which are attractive to sponsors. UCF is a good example of this. Hardly anyone in Orlando cares about or watches the Knights, but that doesn't matter in media. The conference can go to sponsors and say "this is our market coverage which includes .........Orlando". Same goes for Ga State in Atlanta, USA in Mobile, USF in Tampa, etc.

Ga State probably fits pretty well in the Sun Belt, but they're going to need more money. Student fees for athletics are already the highest in the state:http://www.usg.edu/fiscal_affairs/documents/tuition_and_fees/FY2011_Mandatory_Fees.pdf
and there's no more room for further increases. Seven years starting with 2010 is probably about right for evaluating the question.

Wanna have some fun with numbers? Take Fall enrollment of 33k. Multiply x2 to add Winter semester and add 17k for Summer semester. Take that total and multiply by $85. Now add your dollar total to our pre football budget of $17 million. Then go look up the budgets of the Sub Belts football playing members. Ironically the CAA's avg budget is higher than the SBC's.

The Eagle's Cliff
April 21st, 2011, 07:39 PM
Wanna have some fun with numbers? Take Fall enrollment of 33k. Multiply x2 to add Winter semester and add 17k for Summer semester. Take that total and multiply by $85. Now add your dollar total to our pre football budget of $17 million. Then go look up the budgets of the Sub Belts football playing members. Ironically the CAA's avg budget is higher than the SBC's.

How far a dollar goes varies from school to school. There really isn't enough data about Ga State Football, yet. It'll be interesting to see that data after the 2015 season. In DI football, there's about 40 elites and then there's the other 200+ programs. The "elite" club is closed and will not accept new applications as they already have about 25 schools riding their financial coat tails as it is. We may well see some crazy conference realignment over the next 10 years so it's a good idea for a school to put itself in a position to be attractive.

GATA
April 21st, 2011, 08:45 PM
BREAKING NEWS!

GEORGIA STATE JUST WON THE 2011 BCS NATIONAL TITLE AND THE FCS NATIONAL TITLE!

...cancel the season.

panama
April 21st, 2011, 10:28 PM
BREAKING NEWS!

GEORGIA STATE JUST WON THE 2011 BCS NATIONAL TITLE AND THE FCS NATIONAL TITLE!

...cancel the season.

From your lips...

GaSouthern
April 22nd, 2011, 07:26 AM
I doubt that Ga State will ever return to the Sun Belt

AppAlum2003
April 22nd, 2011, 07:40 AM
For you Ga State fans that get upset when we complain...

here's an idea - how about posting something about, oh, I don't know... an upcoming game that you're actually going to play? All you guys ever talk about is your pending move to the NFL because you live in Atlanta and the Georgia Dome was constructed originally with the idea that the Panthers would someday be gracing it with their presence.

Tuscon
April 22nd, 2011, 07:45 AM

here's an idea - how about posting something about, oh, I don't know... an upcoming game that you're actually going to play? All you guys ever talk about is your pending move to the NFL because you live in Atlanta and the Georgia Dome was constructed originally with the idea that the Panthers would someday be gracing it with their presence.

1) It's the off-season. There are no upcoming games.
2) I'm pretty sure my posts on this board are on par with fans from other schools.
3) Crazy complaint coming from an App fan. Half the threads on this board are about ASU Feasability studies.

cannonballgsu
April 22nd, 2011, 08:42 AM
3) Crazy complaint coming from an App fan. Half the threads on this board are about ASU Feasability studies.

At least they have the intelligence to conduct a feasibility study rather than hang their hopes on some joe blow out in Texas that is speculating that ga state will be invited to join the lowest level of the FBS.

Tuscon
April 22nd, 2011, 09:05 AM
At least they have the intelligence to conduct a feasibility study rather than hang their hopes on some joe blow out in Texas that is speculating that ga state will be invited to join the lowest level of the FBS.

You're talking to the wrong guy here. As far as I'm concerned, our AD has no plan to move to FBS in the near future. As soon as I hear official word of it, I'll be excited. I personally think we should consider going FBS, but I'm happy either way. I'll root for my Alma Mater no matter what.

Saint3333
April 22nd, 2011, 09:17 AM

You seem to be a reasonable poster so I know you can see the difference in ASU's study vs. Georgia St. article about moving to the FBS. ASU is ready NOW, you guys could move some day, but let's see have you compete in the CAA first. Make the playoffs a couple times, win a few games against the traditional FCS powers and then start crowing.

AppAlum2003
April 22nd, 2011, 09:44 AM
You seem to be a reasonable poster so I know you can see the difference in ASU's study vs. Georgia St. article about moving to the FBS. ASU is ready NOW, you guys could move some day, but let's see have you compete in the CAA first. Make the playoffs a couple times, win a few games against the traditional FCS powers and then start crowing.

...what he said.

Tuscon
April 22nd, 2011, 09:46 AM

UTSA and USA have already proven that is not neccessary. The FBS wants money. They don't care if they add another school that will lose as long as it is good for business. Our location is prime media coverage for any conference to help negotiate more money for tv contracts. People get caught up with wins and "proving yourself" which is fine, but the FBS cares little for that.

AppAlum2003
April 22nd, 2011, 09:49 AM
Read through the fan comments at the bottom of the page... they're all offended that after one year of football domination they would only be considered for the Sunbelch, not the Big East. Poor TCU had to win how many games and an eventual Rose Bowl to be considered (I know they were invited before this, but just go with it.)

I've lived in both Charlotte and Atlanta... both are extremely poor sports towns that have a small population of actual fans that constantly think they deserve more just because the population of their town is "large."

AppAlum2003
April 22nd, 2011, 09:53 AM
UTSA and USA have already proven that is not neccessary. The FBS wants money. They don't care if they add another school that will lose as long as it is good for business. Our location is prime media coverage for any conference to help negotiate more money for tv contracts. People get caught up with wins and "proving yourself" which is fine, but the FBS cares little for that.

Which is why everybody hates that guy at the office that got his job because he "knows somebody" rather than you know... actual hard work and intelligence.

And the "TV market" argument is so lame... yes, hundreds of thousands of Atlanta residents can think of nothing better to do on a Saturday afternoon than tune on to SportSouth for the Georgia State vs. Troy game.

Again, I lived in Atlanta for awhile. Average Atlanta/burbs resident: "Uh, where is Georgia State located again? It's in the city, right? I think some lady from my office is going back to school there."

Tuscon
April 22nd, 2011, 10:38 AM
Again, I lived in Atlanta for awhile. Average Atlanta/burbs resident: "Uh, where is Georgia State located again? It's in the city, right? I think some lady from my office is going back to school there."

Hopefully that is getting fixed. Having a football program at all is getting us a lot of exposure. Not just athletically, but to area residents. More and more people recognize GSU gear when they see me wearing it around. More and more people know where I'm talking about when I tell them I got my degree at Georgia State.

The problem with Atlanta is you have to win to make anyone care. GT, the Falcons, the Thrashers, everyone has this problem in Atlanta. There are more UGA fans in Atlanta than GT, but do you think GT doesn't add value to a TV contract for the ACC? The potential to touch a high population of people is worth something.

All in all, I just hope we can keep winning. And I know haters gonna hate, but I think we have a good chance of continuing our successes in 2010 into the future. And here is where you'll all call me delusional. I think we'll be playoff ready by next year when we are eligible. We will have a veteran team of Juniors and hopefully a lot of problems with maturity in our younger guys will be fixed by then.

panama
April 22nd, 2011, 10:53 AM
When did this thread become an App State power block of anyone else going FBS before them? LOL. Relax chicken. The article is pure speculation. But it's speculation by someone adding 1 plus 1 and getting 2. There is still a chance that the BE takes 3 in the next 2 years and that CUSA has two replace at least 2. The Sun Belt may need to add as many as 4 in the next 5 years to get to 12 (counting the ones they may lose too).App State will get its shot. It's all speculation. But this writer's speculation was sound enough for Mr. College Football Tony Barnhart to give him a call. It's just stuff to talk about until August.

As for people in Atlanta not knowing where GSU is at..come on man! LOL! Did you live here in 1989? I have not had anyone ask where we are at in the last 10 years when I wear a GSU cap or polo. We have 100k area alumni. Everyone knows ONE grad in an office setting often several because we donnt leave town. The 12,000 admission applicants we had last Fall for 3000 slots were not "coming back to school". They were applying to GSU as a first choice. You are being just a bit disengenous. Reallly I dont know whats the big deal. Nobody seems to have an issue with UTSA or USA going straight to FBS, but somehow GSU just will not make it. What was the line in this thread from a GS grad? "If their program survives"? LOL. #10 in FCS attendance year one would seem to say we'll be ok.

Cocky
April 22nd, 2011, 11:08 AM
Why do people get so upset with others school's ambitions? If GSU wants to go FBS why should I be against it. I'm sure the school leadership has a plan for the university not just the athletic program.

Ga Southern has had as much, if not more, success than any FCS program and has chosen to stay FCS. That fine with me if that is the school's choice. In the timeframe Ga Southern dominated FCS others have moved to FBS with success (but didn't have Ga Southerns FCS success). So performance doesn't have very much to do with the decision it is about the university's mission or advertising campaign.

Troy,a school several mention on here, has used their football program to promote the distance learning program with success. The university wasn't as much concerned about sports but to increase recognition of the university and the perception of the education.

JSU02
April 22nd, 2011, 11:21 AM
Troy,a school several mention on here, has used their football program to promote the distance learning program with success. The university wasn't as much concerned about sports but to increase recognition of the university and the perception of the education.

You are correct. Troy is like a public University of Phoenix with an athletic program.
Worldwide enrollment 31,000; Actual students in Troy, Alabama 7,000.

panama
April 22nd, 2011, 11:23 AM
Why do people get so upset with others school's ambitions? If GSU wants to go FBS why should I be against it. I'm sure the school leadership has a plan for the university not just the athletic program.

Ga Southern has had as much, if not more, success than any FCS program and has chosen to stay FCS. That fine with me if that is the school's choice. In the timeframe Ga Southern dominated FCS others have moved to FBS with success (but didn't have Ga Southerns FCS success). So performance doesn't have very much to do with the decision it is about the university's mission or advertising campaign.

THIS!

This post should be a sticky to be referred before anyone talks about another school's ambitions to move up, down or stay in FCS.

ThompsonThe
April 22nd, 2011, 12:08 PM
No one is trying to block anything tha Ga State is doing or going to do. It is entirely baffling to many posters to see Ga State fans believe that they are destined for the Big East without a doubt, just because they are the third option in a large market. But go for it. Maybe set your sights on the SEC instead. The fact that UTSA got into the WAC because of desperation of the conference does not mean that they will be a successful program. However, guess they will be because they are in a large metro area. Between the Ga State and Charlotte fans believing they will be BCS champs soon because they are "born with a silver spoon in their mouths" because they are in a metro area, it truthfully gets old. There are many schools in large metro areas that have never done anything worth mentioning. Sounds like the "Give me Generation", or "I am entitled" people that have our country in the worst financial situation possible. But again, go for it.

WestCoastAggie
April 22nd, 2011, 01:33 PM
Man, what would happen to the CAA if they lose yet another team? They are losing UMass and URI in 2012 I believe, Villanova is on the way out and with GA State looking to return to the Sun Belt. I think there will be some conference raiding.

Yes MEAC and UNCC, we are looking right at you!

panama
April 22nd, 2011, 01:38 PM
But neither the blogger nor the radio hosts are GSU fans. No its not just GSU fans. As for the Big East I think maybe one or two misguided fans have said that. This thread is about the Sun Belt. Like I said thsi seems like sour grapes by App fans because they arent getting any attention from CUSA about wanting to move to FBS. The thread is about the SBC and we are hearing about the BE and SEC

AppAlum2003
April 22nd, 2011, 01:42 PM
I think I've decided that I'm no longer clicking on threads with the words "Georgia" or "State" in the title. That should pretty much take care of it.

In 6 months, the same will pertain to "UNC-Charlotte" or "Charlotte".

Love you guys.

Tuscon
April 22nd, 2011, 02:01 PM
I think I've decided that I'm no longer clicking on threads with the words "Georgia" or "State" in the title. That should pretty much take care of it.

In 6 months, the same will pertain to "UNC-Charlotte" or "Charlotte".

Love you guys.

Two birds with one stone. You don't have to listen to those GS guys either.

AppAlum2003
April 22nd, 2011, 02:20 PM
Two birds with one stone. You don't have to listen to those GS guys either.

Crap, my flawed logic has kept me from opening any threads about Appalachian "State" now.

Tuscon
April 22nd, 2011, 02:25 PM
HAhahahahahaha

panama
April 22nd, 2011, 02:54 PM
Its really not that serious

Cocky
April 22nd, 2011, 03:16 PM
The SB should be on a high horse lately with all the attention. All the wantabe FBSers seem to want a date. Plus it appears the WAC could start a eastern wing and get enough members to stay afloat.

The Eagle's Cliff
April 22nd, 2011, 03:50 PM
What was the line in this thread from a GS grad? "If their program survives"? LOL. #10 in FCS attendance year one would seem to say we'll be ok.

Besides the first game of 30,000+, there are other variables that skew average attendance for Ga St football. Having high hopes and enthusiasm for your school is great, but you and the other 17 Ga St fans are a little overzealous. Heck, Ga Southern has been at it for 30 years now and we're still one of the new kids on the block. It'll be fun to monitor Ga St and USA and Charlotte over the next several years to see how financing and butts-in-the-seats fan support goes.

49RFootballNow
April 22nd, 2011, 03:50 PM
Lot's of Charlotte talk on a thread that has nothing to do with us.

Tuscon
April 22nd, 2011, 04:33 PM
Lot's of Charlotte talk on a thread that has nothing to do with us.

Sure it does. A lot of people compare you guys to us. And why wouldn't they? You even have App State just like we have GS.

1andDone
April 22nd, 2011, 06:41 PM
Amazing how much GSU wants to move up, beat a NAIA team, before that please.

glsjunior
April 22nd, 2011, 08:26 PM
Amazing how much GSU wants to move up, beat a NAIA team, before that please.

You're right because if anyone knows about beating NAIA schools its USA.

Look, if I have to read threads about reforming the Yankee Conf. then you can stomach a thread about us being a candidate for FBS. Deny it all you want but all of us who believe that our schools can pull it off, dream about being in big boy football. Every one of us would die to be the next South Florida, Troy and UCONN.

heath
April 22nd, 2011, 09:07 PM
sorry,its been a while but......GSU fans are more pathetic than their team............the only new CAA team that will cause a stir is not in ATL,try Norfolk. Watch as the excitement disappears slowly when the first year shine rubs off and the losses start to stack up.GSU finishes LAST,in the basement, but will rebound and win the Rose Bowl in 2014.:D

TheDancinMonarch
April 22nd, 2011, 10:10 PM
The sooner the better and good riddence to boot. And please make sure the other crappy GSU teams go with the football team.

GSUGrad06
April 23rd, 2011, 12:19 PM
Against my better judgement I'm going to chime in here. Some of you guys sound like upset little children. Especially this one right above me.

"The sooner the better..."...really? Did we personally offend you or upset you? Get thicker skin if so...this is the internet.

You guys are really judging a book by it's cover with Georgia State and our fans. You're basing your opinions on 5 people from Panther Talk with some unrealistic views on where we'll end up. Most of us are pretty realistic in knowing the Big East isn't going to be beating our door down in 5 years bowing to our feet to get us to join. With that said it's not unrealistic for us to think someone will want us within maybe 5-10 years. Houston, UCF, USF, Pitt, Cincinnati, etc. are all similar schools. Why is it ludicrous for us to think if those schools in those markets were wanted, we wouldn't be wanted as well? It's not. You can be upset about it all you want but we ARE in Atlanta, a large college football TV market. Conferences want money...Atlanta is money.

Now for that to happen we do have to continue to grow attendance and the fan base. I think we have the right people in place to do that now. With the exception of the Lefty Driesell basketball years and the recent years under the new baseball coach yeah, we've sucked at most sports for our whole history. The previous administration (and student body for that matter) didn't care to make that an issue. Why the hostility towards our poor athletic past because of that? We haven't tried to be good. If we still suck at everything in 10-15 years, I'd expect to receive the kicks being dished out to us because at that point we will have tried. Cut us a break in the meantime.

Now, quit hating on us because of a few crazy thoughts from some very enthusiastic fans. It's just silly...they're silly too by the way.

FormerPokeCenter
April 23rd, 2011, 12:57 PM
Apparently, 7,000 more people cared about watching Louisville and Southern Miss in the lowest attended bowl game in the FBS last season than there was that cared about the FCS National Title game since only 13,000 people attended that game in Texas.

Let's be fair here.....the FCS National Title was set for a night with no competition, and for reasons unknown, the Cotton Bowl, also in the Dallas Metroplex, moved it's date to the same night.

So....you seem like a smart guy....which event do you think would draw the most support on any given Saturday night. The Cotton Bowl with two "local" teams.....Texas A&M vs. LSU.

If the Cotton Bowl's not on the same night, with heavy local ties, you get an exponential increase in the number of fans at the FCS title game...

Skjellyfetti
April 23rd, 2011, 01:42 PM
If the Cotton Bowl's not on the same night, with heavy local ties, you get an exponential increase in the number of fans at the FCS title game...

There are about 6 million people in DFW. 13,000 came out for the FCS title game. That's pathetic. It wasn't all because of the Cotton Bowl.

Redhawk2010
April 23rd, 2011, 02:09 PM
There are about 6 million people in DFW. 13,000 came out for the FCS title game. That's pathetic. It wasn't all because of the Cotton Bowl.

I'm sure the fact that the game started before many of them got off work helped. Or the fact that the Vice President needed to be at the game and shut down the interstate getting there. That helped too..

Lehigh Football Nation
April 23rd, 2011, 11:52 PM
The 2008 FCS National title game between Richmond and Montana drew 17,823 in attendance. The lowest attended bowl game in the 2008 season in the FBS was the New Mexico Bowl's 24,735 between Colorado State and Fresno.

The FCS National Championship game was played in Finley Stadium it Chattanooga, TN. Its maximum attendance is 20,668. 17,823/20,668 = 86% capacity.

The New Mexico Bowl is played in Alumni Stadium in Albuquerque, NM. Its maximum attendance is 38,634. 24,735/38,634 = 64% capacity.

The International Bowl in 2011 that you yourself describing filled 22,185 seats of the maximum capacity of 54,000 that the Rogers Center holds. While this year's FCS National Championship game wasn't as great attendance-wise for a variety of reasons, it still was more than 2/3rds full according to the official attendance - kicking the crap about a bowl played at about the same time in another country in a stadium not even half full.

I am sure there are other bowls with attendance capacities below the 2/3rds full of this years championship game. I am even more sure sure you can find many, many, many non money-making bowls with attendance capacities below 86%. And that was with one school that is noted for its lack of a traveling fan base.

Redhawk2010
April 24th, 2011, 12:02 AM
Also remember that many of the bowls have at least one "local" team to gain attendance numbers. The NCAA DI Championship game was not located near either team in it..

Go Lehigh TU owl
April 24th, 2011, 12:32 AM
I still say there's a potential for Temple, Umass, Buffalo, JMU, App State, Charlotte and Georgia State to band together and form another all sports conference.

I-16Bandit
April 24th, 2011, 01:14 AM
reading Georgia State threads are like reading a comic strip in the funnys on a Sunday morning.

FormerPokeCenter
April 24th, 2011, 03:03 AM

The Cotton Bowl was a capacity crowd, AND it was on TV, so....yeah, it definitely had an affect. Had the Cotton Bowl NOT been in town and on TV, it's a no-brainer that the attendance would have been higher....

Rabid Football fans would have been out in droves had the Cotton Bowl been on a different night or with different teams....

seantaylor
April 24th, 2011, 03:30 AM
State needs to tap into the thugs and homeless crowd. Half price ticket for grand larceny, 3/4 murder.

GSUGrad06
April 24th, 2011, 01:52 PM
State needs to tap into the thugs and homeless crowd. Half price ticket for grand larceny, 3/4 murder.

Wow, very original. Excellent. When does your comedy tour kick off?

GATA
April 24th, 2011, 05:48 PM
Wow, very original. Excellent. When does your comedy tour kick off?

Yeah...he's not very funny. He also listens to Eminem...

seantaylor
April 24th, 2011, 08:06 PM
Funniest mfer to walk down the pike. Besides paintball boy. And that is just because of his looks.

Tribal
April 24th, 2011, 09:57 PM

Excellent post! Answer = because GA State fans believe they deserve better than the CAA or FCS in general because they have lots of students in a big city with a rented NFL stadium. Some of them have stated that they'd rather play in the Go Daddies.com Bowl than win a FCS National Championship. That's not every GA State fan...just the ones who post this exact same thing on panthertalk, AGS, CAAzone, CS.com, and gsufans.com. Some may wonder why they go out of their way to post this garbage. They're trying to convince others and they don't care if the facts get in the way. State was blown out by ODU--a team that will play their first full CAA schedule this year. They lost to Lambuth--a <FCS school with 700 students that won't even field a team this season.

Tribal
April 24th, 2011, 10:08 PM
All in all, I just hope we can keep winning. And I know haters gonna hate, but I think we have a good chance of continuing our successes in 2010 into the future. And here is where you'll all call me delusional. I think we'll be playoff ready by next year when we are eligible.

Tuscon, you know I think you have common sense but what I'm reading here is nuts. "Keep winning." What have you won? "Playoff ready?" That's different from "making the playoffs" I guess. IF you're saying you will make the playoffs in 2012 (or whatever), are you saying that you believe you will occupy one of 3 or 4 CAA playoff spots? You're going to knock off Delaware, JMU, UR, Nova, UNH, or W&M? You're going to go 8-2 or 7-3 in the CAA in your first year of playoff eligibility? EVERY CAA team (to include ODU) is lightyears ahead of GA State. I expect this of gls/1974, Panama, Lex and the rest of those Jim Jones followers, but not you.

Tribal
April 24th, 2011, 10:15 PM
Every one of us would die to be the next South Florida, Troy and UCONN.

UCONN played a lot of years in the CAA first and GA State isn't even in the same league as UCONN. UCONN's basketball team was able to support their football team's rise to the FBS.

Tribal
April 24th, 2011, 10:20 PM
we ARE in Atlanta, a large college football TV market. Conferences want money...Atlanta is money.

GA State fans should just make this their sigline and spare us the redundancy. Since ATL = money, try giving some of it to your higher-than-the-national-average unemployed population.

ThompsonThe
April 25th, 2011, 04:30 AM
Excellent post! Answer = because GA State fans believe they deserve better than the CAA or FCS in general because they have lots of students in a big city with a rented NFL stadium. Some of them have stated that they'd rather play in the Go Daddies.com Bowl than win a FCS National Championship. That's not every GA State fan...just the ones who post this exact same thing on panthertalk, AGS, CAAzone, CS.com, and gsufans.com. Some may wonder why they go out of their way to post this garbage. They're trying to convince others and they don't care if the facts get in the way. State was blown out by ODU--a team that will play their first full CAA schedule this year. They lost to Lambuth--a <FCS school with 700 students that won't even field a team this season.
One of the best replies that I have seen in a long time.

Tuscon, you know I think you have common sense but what I'm reading here is nuts. "Keep winning." What have you won? "Playoff ready?" That's different from "making the playoffs" I guess. IF you're saying you will make the playoffs in 2012 (or whatever), are you saying that you believe you will occupy one of 3 or 4 CAA playoff spots? You're going to knock off Delaware, JMU, UR, Nova, UNH, or W&M? You're going to go 8-2 or 7-3 in the CAA in your first year of playoff eligibility? EVERY CAA team (to include ODU) is lightyears ahead of GA State. I expect this of gls/1974, Panama, Lex and the rest of those Jim Jones followers, but not you.
Great follow up.

UCONN played a lot of years in the CAA first and GA State isn't even in the same league as UCONN. UCONN's basketball team was able to support their football team's rise to the FBS.
Would reality be setting in about this point for GaState posters.

GA State fans should just make this their sigline and spare us the redundancy. Since ATL = money, try giving some of it to your higher-than-the-national-average unemployed population.
Tribal....do not know if you are an attorney, but you should be, if not. Clear, precise, insightful....obviously you have no place on a GaState thread because you make too much sense. However, you and I know this will not change GaState or Charlotte posters.

seantaylor
April 25th, 2011, 05:11 AM
Yeah...he's not very funny. He also listens to Eminem...

As does anyone that knows and appreciates good music. Some of our fanbase will claim it's "too urban", but we all know what that really means. :)

Tuscon
April 25th, 2011, 09:09 AM

We had a winning season last year? I admit, it should have been better, but we did it. What exactly do you mean by "lightyears ahead"? Older? By 2012 we will have a team that consists mainly of Juniors. That does have the potential to "knock off" any of those teams you mentioned. I'm not saying I have a crystal ball or anything, or its definitely going to happen. I just think it's possible. Having a young program doesn't mean anything when most of your players aren't. Time will tell anyway.

GSUGrad06
April 25th, 2011, 10:18 AM
...EVERY CAA team (to include ODU) is lightyears ahead of GA State....

Define "light years" and then tell me what are you basing this statement on? Let me guess, Lambuth. Yeah, ride that one until the sun sets because you can't come up with much else that makes sense. The Lambuth game was the 2nd game ever. We followed that up by taking JSU to OT. Yes we still lost but that shows the inconsistencies we were playing with. ODU is a better team, but not by "light years".

6-5 first year record, 6-4 pulling out Bama. Yup, that's a terrible record for a 1st year team. I'm not saying it's some great never done before accomplishment but it's a winning record isn't it?

Nice way to just quote that one line I said in order to show your point. Read before and after that sentance. I'm not saying we're entitled to anything because of it. Really? You're now going to bring unemployment into this? You're grasping for straws now. Williamsburg is where W&M is, right?

2/28/2011 Williamsburg, VA Unemployment Rate: 17%
2/28/2011 Fulton County, GA (GSU location) Unemployment Rate: 10.5%

I don't care to turn this into a pissing contest about who's city/county is better but you brought it up.

rufus
April 25th, 2011, 11:27 AM
Nice way to just quote that one line I said in order to show your point. Read before and after that sentance. I'm not saying we're entitled to anything because of it. Really? You're now going to bring unemployment into this? You're grasping for straws now. Williamsburg is where W&M is, right?

I don't care to turn this into a pissing contest about who's city/county is better but you brought it up.
Not to pull this exciting thread further off topic, but comparing tiny Williamsburg to massive Fulton county is not really a fair comparison. Because people tend to work and travel within an entire metro area, MSA unemployment is a better view of the true local labor environment. When you drill down to very small areas, unemployment rates vary wildly from one locality to the next. I would expect that if you look at certain neighborhoods of Atlanta, which may actually be larger than Williamsburg, you will find astronomically high unemployment rates. Again, step back and look at the metro area as a whole, and you find a more representative number.

Virginia Beach-Norfolk-Newport News, VA-NC: 7.3%
Atlanta-Sandy Springs-Marietta, GA: 10.2%

The other thing worth noting is that no W&M fan ever claimed that Williamsburg is some kind of great market that is well suited for an FBS program.

Anyway -- back to the Sun Belt talk.

GSUGrad06
April 25th, 2011, 12:21 PM
Not to pull this exciting thread further off topic, but comparing tiny Williamsburg to massive Fulton county is not really a fair comparison. Because people tend to work and travel within an entire metro area, MSA unemployment is a better view of the true local labor environment. When you drill down to very small areas, unemployment rates vary wildly from one locality to the next. I would expect that if you look at certain neighborhoods of Atlanta, which may actually be larger than Williamsburg, you will find astronomically high unemployment rates. Again, step back and look at the metro area as a whole, and you find a more representative number.

Virginia Beach-Norfolk-Newport News, VA-NC: 7.3%
Atlanta-Sandy Springs-Marietta, GA: 10.2%

The other thing worth noting is that no W&M fan ever claimed that Williamsburg is some kind of great market that is well suited for an FBS program.

Anyway -- back to the Sun Belt talk.

Yeah, drill down to specific neighborhoods and unemployment rates will bounce all over. It's a city so no surprise. Any other city in the US will look the exact same.

No W&M fan has ever questioned why they're not FBS? I don't buy that for a second. I'm sure fans of every FCS program have wondered why they're not FBS. Like I said in my first post in this thread a couple pages back, you're judging our book by the cover of few fans you read over and over again. You're a JMU guy (by the assumption of your avatar), when you come down to the Dome of a game in the next couple years make sure you tailgate with us. You'll quickly see we're not bad people and we're not insane. We're college football fans.

Is Atlanta not well suited for an FBS market? Guess it depends on for who you mean it's well suited for.

Back on topic...

rufus
April 25th, 2011, 12:49 PM
No W&M fan has ever questioned why they're not FBS? I don't buy that for a second. I'm sure fans of every FCS program have wondered why they're not FBS. Like I said in my first post in this thread a couple pages back, you're judging our book by the cover of few fans you read over and over again.

I don't think I've ever heard a single W&M fan express any desire for FBS. W&M played in I-A up through 1981, and I don't think they have any desire to go back. It's a small school with around 7,000 students.

JMU on the other hand...

Saint3333
April 25th, 2011, 03:01 PM
http://www.miamiherald.com/2011/04/22/2183125/vote-on-expansion-during-spring.html

“We’re not afraid to expand, but it’s got to be someone that brings additional value to the people that have invested in this league,” commissioner Wright Waters said. “I don’t know that there’s anybody out there that right now fits our needs.”

Translation: La Tech isn't interested and we're not interested in FCS programs.

Looks like a lot of FCS programs are all dressed up with no where to go and yes that includes ASU.

I-16Bandit
April 25th, 2011, 03:39 PM
obviously you have no place on a GaState thread because you make too much sense.

Tribal ruffles some feathers over on Georgia States own forum. He is currently being banned for a week, though.. :D

LeadBolt
April 25th, 2011, 04:00 PM
Yeah, drill down to specific neighborhoods and unemployment rates will bounce all over. It's a city so no surprise. Any other city in the US will look the exact same.

No W&M fan has ever questioned why they're not FBS? I don't buy that for a second. I'm sure fans of every FCS program have wondered why they're not FBS. Like I said in my first post in this thread a couple pages back, you're judging our book by the cover of few fans you read over and over again. You're a JMU guy (by the assumption of your avatar), when you come down to the Dome of a game in the next couple years make sure you tailgate with us. You'll quickly see we're not bad people and we're not insane. We're college football fans.

Is Atlanta not well suited for an FBS market? Guess it depends on for who you mean it's well suited for.

Back on topic...

Been there, done that, have the tee shirt. Very happy in FCS. 8-4 beats 4-8 any year.

Tribe4SF
April 25th, 2011, 04:32 PM
I don't think I've ever heard a single W&M fan express any desire for FBS. W&M played in I-A up through 1981, and I don't think they have any desire to go back. It's a small school with around 7,000 students.

JMU on the other hand...

We get a few here and there who mutter about it, and there were some who wanted us to build the required 30,000 seats in 1979 to stay I-A. The vast majority of Tribe fans still see FCS as having been perfect for us. With an undergrad enrollment of 5,700 and being located in a town with about 75,000 population within a ten mile radius, the economics just aren't there.

The Eagle's Cliff
April 25th, 2011, 06:52 PM
http://www.miamiherald.com/2011/04/22/2183125/vote-on-expansion-during-spring.html

“We’re not afraid to expand, but it’s got to be someone that brings additional value to the people that have invested in this league,” commissioner Wright Waters said. “I don’t know that there’s anybody out there that right now fits our needs.”

Translation: La Tech isn't interested and we're not interested in FCS programs.

Looks like a lot of FCS programs are all dressed up with no where to go and yes that includes ASU.

100% on the money. It is important, though, to be dressed and ready to go in case you're invited. A lot is going to depend on the supposed realignment of the FBS including the possibility of "Super-Conferences" as discussed last year. There are at least 3 Tiers of competition in D1 Scholarship Football with the non-scholly's making their own 4th tier.

Saint3333
April 25th, 2011, 07:23 PM
The WAC just needs to start an eastern division of six or seven FCS programs.

1andDone
April 25th, 2011, 08:31 PM
Here is what I would like to see USA<Conference USA and GA ST<Sun Belt, makes since, for we can avoid the, mighty power that is THE Georgia State Panthers, by then they should be so good, not even Alabama would want a rematch.

Tribal
April 25th, 2011, 08:49 PM
You're now going to bring unemployment into this? You're grasping for straws now. Williamsburg is where W&M is, right?

I'm going to try to write this a delicately as possible because I'm sure you're a fine young man. Williamsburg's population is probably 60% retired folks. Another 7,500 in college students. Retired generally means you no longer work, thus, unemployed. You didn't know that so you get a pass on this one.

Tribal
April 25th, 2011, 08:59 PM
JMU on the other hand...

Although I'd hate to see JMU leave the CAA, they are fit for the FBS. Beautiful stadium (on campus and not rented), a strong football tradition, and set in a town that supports their team. Enough JMU alums live in Richmond and the DC area to make the commute 5 or 6 times a year. Some JMU fans definitely meet the threshold for a DSM-IV TR diagnoses, but no one can question their love of Dukes football.

GA St. MBB Fan
April 25th, 2011, 10:31 PM
I'm going to try to write this a delicately as possible because I'm sure you're a fine young man. Williamsburg's population is probably 60% retired folks. Another 7,500 in college students. Retired generally means you no longer work, thus, unemployed. You didn't know that so you get a pass on this one.

I'm pretty sure retired persons aren't counted in the unemployment rate. See: http://www.bls.gov/cps/cps_htgm.htm

seantaylor
April 26th, 2011, 12:52 AM

They don't know much. Great town.

GSUGrad06
April 26th, 2011, 08:49 AM

And I'll put this as delicately as possible since you may not have been educated on this topic. I don't get upset with people for initial ignorance on a subject, it's just repetitive ignorance that's annoying. Straight from BLS...

Who is counted as unemployed? Persons are classified as unemployed if they do not have a job, have actively looked for work in the prior 4 weeks, and are currently available for work.

Retired people are not counted towards unemployment rates. If so, Florida would probably have a constant unemployment rate well into the 20-30% range. However, you didn't know that so you get a pass on that little blunder.

GSUGrad06
April 26th, 2011, 08:50 AM
They don't know much..

And by piggy backing off his incorrect statement, that shows what you know.

You guys really are all wasting your breath beating on Georgia State for our fans discussing FBS. Again, you're not going to change the minds of the small handful that think we already deserve to be there. Most of us all realize what we have to do. I'll concede that much.

With that said, most of us do feel that FBS will be in the future of the program at some point. Name another FCS program that's located in a large market, approaching 40K enrollment and 160K+ alumni living in the state with the majority in the metro area to the school. You can't. The financial side will likely make sense for us. The largest FCS school above us is UTSA and where are they headed...FBS. I just don't get how you guys can bash this thought process. It's called having a vision.

Now bash the people saying we should be FBS tomorrow all you want. Just know that's a waste of your time because we all know those people are crazy. I haven't even mentioned the other upgrades to our athletic facilities we need to make before we could even be on par with Sun Belt or CUSA.

Apphole
April 26th, 2011, 04:21 PM

You guys really are all wasting your breath beating on Georgia State for our fans discussing FBS. Again, you're not going to change the minds of the small handful that think we already deserve to be there. Most of us all realize what we have to do. I'll concede that much.

With that said, most of us do feel that FBS will be in the future of the program at some point. Name another FCS program that's located in a large market, approaching 40K enrollment and 160K+ alumni living in the state with the majority in the metro area to the school. You can't. The financial side will likely make sense for us. The largest FCS school above us is UTSA and where are they headed...FBS. I just don't get how you guys can bash this thought process. It's called having a vision.

Now bash the people saying we should be FBS tomorrow all you want. Just know that's a waste of your time because we all know those people are crazy. I haven't even mentioned the other upgrades to our athletic facilities we need to make before we could even be on par with Sun Belt or CUSA.

That C USA spot is reserved. Sorry

ThompsonThe
April 26th, 2011, 07:17 PM

Ow, all this time I thought people were debating whether you should be in the FCS and the CAA.

GSUGrad06
April 26th, 2011, 09:13 PM
That C USA spot is reserved. Sorry

Hey by all means, you guys are much more ready for it than we would be in the near future. I've always been somewhat of an App State fan. I love Boone and make as many visits up there as possible during the winter. Have a couple family members up in NC that attended there too. I don't get all the Southern fans who make fun of Boone...nothing but jealousy is all I can guess.

Ow, all this time I thought people were debating whether you should be in the FCS and the CAA.

Sorry, can't tell if you're having actual conversation or being sarcastic. The CAA, yeah that's another sticking point with the fans. The travel arrangements for fans just blows. This is why we were stoked when the home and home with UTC was announced. Easy trip for fans of both schools.

Tribal
April 26th, 2011, 09:49 PM
Name another FCS program that's located in a large market, approaching 40K enrollment and 160K+ alumni living in the state with the majority in the metro area to the school. You can't.

Portland State (Portland, Oregon). Sacramento State (Sacramento, CA). Stony Brook (NYC, NY). Texas State (Austin, TX). UC-Davis (Sacramento, CA). Weber St (SLC, UT).

McNeese75
April 26th, 2011, 10:06 PM
Does anyone really care if they carry their weak *** program to the FBS???? Big boys need another whipping boy and joining the Sunbelt is a good place for that.

GSUGrad06
April 27th, 2011, 07:34 AM
Portland State (Portland, Oregon). Sacramento State (Sacramento, CA). Stony Brook (NYC, NY). Texas State (Austin, TX). UC-Davis (Sacramento, CA). Weber St (SLC, UT).

You're not helping your own case. Texas State is joining the WAC so thanks for helping me make that point. Look man, if you keep throwing me hanging breaking balls I'm going to keep hitting them out.

UC Davis is the only other one with higher enrollment numbers. From what I understand 35K is going to the GSU enrollment number for 2011-2012 so that's probably short-lived. They've seen a huge increase in applications since starting football. I'm not sure of the growth at UCD but from what I found it seems their enrollment numbers are pretty stable. As far as those other schools, GSU will have 10-15K on them within a couple years. I'd also challenge all but probably UC Davis that they're not in an equal market. Finally, I have no idea what their alumni base looks like to know if it compares to GSU and frankly I don't care.

If it makes you feel better as a W&M/FCS fan, we respect what you've done at this level. We respect what even Southern has done at this level. It doesn't feel right for us though. That's no disrespect to your program so quit taking it that way. That's the only thing that makes sense to me as to why all of you are so caught up on us talking about FBS.

I'm done here. Apparently because I am a GSU fan I'm a default bad person to talk to and all correspondence with me must be illogical and ill-willed. Nobody has yet to talk about anything that makes sense in this thread, especially Tribal. First with his unemployment faux pas and now with his Texas State being a bigger FCS school than us who’s staying FCS. Another oops yet no acknowledgement of it. Tribal, I'm sure your Google-ing of information is outstanding, just learn to interpret it better. See you in 2 seasons Tribal. I look forward to the absolute whipping you're going to place on our team. I hope it's not even close, anything less than a 6 touchdown blowout by you guys would indicate we're not light years behind you.

Tribal
April 27th, 2011, 07:55 PM
You keep mentioning Texas St. Stony Brook is in NYC's market. I know, I know...NYC isn't the size of that massive ATL market. Good point, whipper snapper. Good luck in the SEC; I understand Alabama is terrified. Maybe you should hope for a win against ODU first? Maybe just ONE CAA win before you play UF for the BCS title. Everyone hates GAy State...get used to it.

panama
April 27th, 2011, 08:07 PM
Ouch, 0 for 6 Tribal. Tsk Tsk

You keep mentioning Texas St. Stony Brook is in NYC's market. I know, I know...NYC isn't the size of that massive ATL market. Good point, whipper snapper. Good luck in the SEC; I understand Alabama is terrified. Maybe you should hope for a win against ODU first? Maybe just ONE CAA win before you play UF for the BCS title. Everyone hates GAy State...get used to it.

Tribal, who cares. You are one of 7 people on Earth obsessed with GSU. For the love of all things holy let it go. Good Grief!.

Progression. 1) Some guy in Dallas wrote an article. 2) A radio show picked up on it. 3) Someone posted it here.

At most it warrants a 'Huh, interesting" or a "Never will happen, Who cares" but not 11 freaking pages. Tribal please get out of that GS stall and off your knees. Let...It...Go!

panama
April 28th, 2011, 05:52 AM
At any rate it looks like LaTech is rebuffing the Sun Belt so the idea of Sun Belt expansion in the near term is pretty much dead.

The Eagle's Cliff
April 28th, 2011, 07:20 AM
I thought Georgia Southern would be the third 1-A/FBS team from Georgia, but I guess Former President Bruce Grube was holding that school back.

FIFY - I can also see Ga St in FBS eventually, but they've got a long way to go to make themselves more than just another Florida International. Even Ga Tech has a hard time in the state, because Georgia's full of ignorant folks who cheer for the most over-rated, under-achieving school in the country.

GSUGrad06
April 28th, 2011, 07:32 AM
Atlanta is big enough to house two Division 1 programs. It is already home to an ACC Division 1 FBS team in Georgia Tech. Georgia State has to keep plugging along. There are only two FBS teams from the state of Georgia despite the fact that the Peach State is the largest state in area east of the Mississippi River. I thought Georgia Southern would be the third 1-A/FBS team from Georgia, but I guess Sam Baker is still holding that school back.

I can see Georgia State in the FBS eventually, but not anytime soon, and certainly not in the Power $ix ever.

If the Sun Belt were to expand this year, there is only one current FCS team that I think that league would ever consider despite what they say about not taking any FCS teams, and that school is Appalachian State. However, I don't know that ASU would move up anytime soon.

FIFY - I can also see Ga St in FBS eventually, but they've got a long way to go to make themselves more than just another Florida International. Even Ga Tech has a hard time in the state, because Georgia's full of ignorant folks who cheer for the most over-rated, under-achieving school in the country.

I had to post this to say I agree with everything the both of you said. I think you'd fine this would be the general consensus across most of our fans. Thanks for bringing logic to the coversation.

panama
April 28th, 2011, 09:44 AM

It's two very interesting FBS fan bases in state. You have one convinced despite all evidence to the contrary that they are on par with Texas, Alabama and Notre Dame. The other runs their program like some secret cult society to which you can only belong if you graduated from there. They (GT) have near zero market penetration beyond alumni. They get almost no in state prized recruits and you never EVER see any kids from the inner city neighborhoods surrounding their campus wearing their gear. They seem to like it that way. Needless to say that in a state with two FBS schools and a population pushing 10 million people, there is a lot of fertile ground.