PDA

View Full Version : LFN: UMass Bolts for the MAC

Lehigh Football Nation
April 19th, 2011, 03:18 PM
http://lehighfootballnation.blogspot.com/2011/04/umass-bolts-for-mac.html

My usual nuanced, calm analysis of their decision.

(Yeah, right. xlolx)

DFW HOYA
April 19th, 2011, 03:31 PM
LFN: "But I think it's almost always a bad idea for a team to join a conference as a "temporary solution" until the "real solution" comes along. Temporary solutions have a funny way of becoming permanent solutions."

Well said.

Construction "Temporarily" Halted Sep. 17, 2005. 2040 Days And Counting...
http://www.hoyafootball.com/images/stadia/msf.jpg

Sly Fox
April 19th, 2011, 06:45 PM
While I agree with the line about temporary becoming permanent, I don't believe the Stony Brook example fits. They could have left after their first contract but realized that the Big South deal was actually a very good one for them until things shook out up north.

My only concern with them hooking up with the MAC is that it might make things more challenging this summer if a better opportunity opens up.

Seawolf97
April 19th, 2011, 09:44 PM
I think StonyBrook is in the Big South through the end of the latest contract - which I believe is 2015. Where they go from there is anybody's guess. I do know our facilities are improving in leaps and bounds. New track and field complex, new baseball field (Thank You Joe Nathan!), new 4.5 million dollar strength and conditioning building. These arent there to impress the America East. And money is available from alums and fans to keep moving forward. So who knows? Glad to see UMass make the move. They will do ok in FBS.

Wildcat80
April 20th, 2011, 04:52 AM
Hey if the school is committed to the budget for FBS football I applaud them. Unfortunately most FCS fans realize that is where the true fan interest is. National TV. National press. FBS teams. I agree midweek attendance at Gillette will be sparse for MAC games BUT Saturday games at Gillette vs.....UConn, BC, Syracuse, Navy......Michigan!......would fill the house and create alot of buzz in New England. Early on I hope UNH gets a few more FBS wins at UMass's expense!

kdinva
April 20th, 2011, 09:22 PM
and, for the short term (unlike Villanova if they move), UMass can "get away" with expanding their stadium to the 28,000 - 32,000 range, which would be in line with the majority of the MAC's facilities.

NIU007
May 3rd, 2011, 05:41 PM
If they're planning on the Big East, wouldn't they need a larger stadium than one that holds 28-32K though? And it would be hard to get an invite from the Big East coming out of the MAC, though probably easier than from FCS. They'd probably have to be dominant in the MAC first, and while I think UMass will be competitive quickly, nobody really manages to dominate the MAC for long. Anyway, just my .02.

Go...gate
May 3rd, 2011, 11:31 PM
In UMass's case, Robert Kraft has given them a leg up with Gillette Stadium. They could play two games a year on-campus and three games a year at Gillette. I think that they will eventually be in the Big East.

henfan
May 4th, 2011, 08:40 AM
The Big East will expand and Villanova will be one of the additions. UMass is counting on the Big East taking them up as a travel partner for Connecticut and to carry the Boston television market...In the end expect the Big East non-football schools to split from the rest of the league.

You seem pretty sure of yourself.xconfusedx

The fact remains that VU has not been accepted to the BEC because they are unable to secure a sufficient FB stadium. Unless you know something that VU and the BEC don't, this is far from a done deal.

Additionally, BEC do not share travel in a "travel partner" system. There is nothing that would suggest that the BEC has any interest in UMass or that UConn would support their entry. (I do agree that UMass FB reclassification is likely a move on their part to position themselves for another move down the line. Whether they ever get a sniff from the BEC is purely a prayer at this point.)

Message board speculation aside, there is also no evidence that any BEC split is on the horizon.

I'm not trying to be a wise-guy or combative. I just think you have little basis to make declarative comments like these. xpeacex

DFW HOYA
May 4th, 2011, 09:56 AM
Agreed on the speculative nature of future predictions.

I recall 25 years ago how Al McGuire predicted how schools wouldn't have big arenas because once the next generation TV's took hold, no one would need to attend games. Didn't happen.

Or that interest in football would decline as little kids grew up with soccer. Didn't happen.

Conversely, did anyone pencil in Utah for the Pac 10a decade ago? How about TCU in the Big East? Or that Notre Dame wouldn't win a national title for the last 23 years?