PDA

View Full Version : FCS Opponent Lambuth Shutting Doors

TexasTerror
April 16th, 2011, 11:47 AM
Gardner-Webb was originally scheduled to face Lambuth this year on 9/24 and Georgia State was to host them on 11/5.

Their institution was attempting to transition to Division II - but their financial and academic accreditation issues impacted that from occuring.

http://www.jacksonsun.com/article/20110415/SPORTS/104150305/1006/Closing-Lambuth-means-end-sports

http://www.jacksonsun.com/article/20110414/NEWS/110414023/Students-told-Lambuth-will-close?odyssey=obinsite

superman7515
April 16th, 2011, 01:13 PM
You're not allowed to comment on them closing their doors, it results in a yellow flag.

TTUEagles
April 16th, 2011, 01:15 PM
I'll post this on the other thread about scheduling and open dates, but I've now heard that TTU is talking with both G-Webb and GA State about TTU's last opening on their schedule

TexasTerror
April 16th, 2011, 07:35 PM
I'll post this on the other thread about scheduling and open dates, but I've now heard that TTU is talking with both G-Webb and GA State about TTU's last opening on their schedule

Perhaps G-Webb and Georgia State can replace the Lambuth game against one of Lambuth's Division II opponents... Lambuth was playing practically, if not all of the Gulf South Conference...

The Eagle's Cliff
April 16th, 2011, 10:25 PM
I don't know how it will affect athletics, but University of Memphis may be buying the Lambuth campus:http://www.jacksonsun.com/article/20110416/NEWS01/104160315/1046/BUSINESS/Public-funds-may-pay-Lambuth-debts?odyssey=nav|head

cmaxwellgsu
April 16th, 2011, 11:25 PM
That really bothers me that a college is being forced to close its doors after 168 years of operation. Not very surprised with all the news floating out of the nation's capital about cutting education and the president and Congress looking to save money by closing the doors on more small colleges and universities across the country.

But the University of Memphis at Jackson? Yeah, like that makes sense.

I would agree with you if they hadn't lost accreditation. That is a clear sign of a subpar education.

TexasTerror
April 17th, 2011, 07:03 AM
Agree with cmaxwell...

Lambuth was in a uphill battle to gain their accreditation after it had been lost. That and their financial woes were well known and the clear reason that the GSC, NCAA Division II were not 100% on board to bring them in...

doolittledog
April 17th, 2011, 07:21 AM
That really bothers me that a college is being forced to close its doors after 168 years of operation. Not very surprised with all the news floating out of the nation's capital about cutting education and the president and Congress looking to save money by closing the doors on more small colleges and universities across the country.

Are there National Universities and Colleges out there that the President and Congress are considering shutting down? No.

Are there cash strapped states with their Governers and state legistatures debating how best to allocate educational funds? Discussions like..."Does a state with 6 million people need over 10 public Universities with many of them duplicating majors?" Yes

Lambuth was a private college. Like any private enterprise, if you continually lose money, eventually you will have to make a decision whether to close your doors. This isn't a case of the federal government putting a gun to their head and telling Lambuth..."we need to save money, we're shutting you down." The Lambuth administration itself came to the conclusion that they just weren't going to be able to make things work out and made the difficult decision to close the doors.

Cocky
April 17th, 2011, 07:22 AM
Is/was Lambuth private?

Redhawk2010
April 17th, 2011, 09:23 AM
Is/was Lambuth private?

Yes, but it sounds like the University of Memphis is considering the purchase of the campus. Doing so, it appears, would also mean that Memphis would be taking on the debt that Lambuth has created..

Lehigh Football Nation
April 17th, 2011, 10:51 AM
Yes, but it sounds like the University of Memphis is considering the purchase of the campus. Doing so, it appears, would also mean that Memphis would be taking on the debt that Lambuth has created..

Importantly for the purposes of FCS, though, Memphis has zero ambition in Lambuth keeping its tiny NAIA athletics program.

downbythebeach
April 17th, 2011, 11:53 PM
Outside of this board (because of the GA State game) I had never heard of Lambuth.........and I think I'm pretty knowledgable on colleges/college football.

speaking of U of Memphis buying the school........U of Pittsburgh has a couple branch campuses around W.PA, so I guess it is not that crazy to have far off campuses.

JSU02
April 18th, 2011, 09:15 AM
When my dad was in the hospital in Jackson, TN for a week 2 years, ago I drove right by Lambuth several times a day, and had no idea it was even there. Its was a very very small school.

Franks Tanks
April 18th, 2011, 09:19 AM
No, Barack Obama and his administration are pretty adament about cutting education. I've seen it. I've seen what his administration is doing to small colleges in Colorado. I know for a fact that students at Lambuth were eligible for federal student aid such as pell grants and federal work study. That is why students who attend private schools still fill out the FAFSA.

That is true, but Lambuth also lost their accrediation. When that happens students are no longer eligible for federal aid or loans.

dbackjon
April 18th, 2011, 01:20 PM

Why not? Many universities have branch campuses. Jackson is large enough to support a state-branch university - none within an hour's drive

bjtheflamesfan
April 18th, 2011, 02:05 PM
You're not allowed to comment on them closing their doors, it results in a yellow flag.

TT is fine...he wasnt taking a (though highly veiled) jab at a fellow conference mate in his mentioning of Lambuth's unfortunate closure...and he included appropriate documentation

FormerPokeCenter
April 18th, 2011, 02:19 PM
TT is fine...he wasnt taking a (though highly veiled) jab at a fellow conference mate in his mentioning of Lambuth's unfortunate closure...and he included appropriate documentation

I think it's incredibly unfortunate that Lambuth fell on the rough financial times that it did.

I think that makes its signature win over Georgia State, even more impressive.

Lambuth will be missed....

JSU02
April 18th, 2011, 04:11 PM
Why not? Many universities have branch campuses. Jackson is large enough to support a state-branch university - none within an hour's drive

UT-Martin is just about an hour from Jackson.

panama
April 18th, 2011, 04:33 PM
Well it was a game they obviously got up for. They were one of several teams that played us like it was the Super Bowl. I think the Dome venue bought a lot of that out. Add to that the fact that it was the second game ever for a team of Freshmen and RS Freshmen. But I think the main factor was the Inaugural Game. I know I didnt sleep for 4 days before that game. Even 7 months later its a bit surreal. It was like a bowl game. Both the team and fans were due to be deflated for the next game. Lambuth took the game from us and those kids have every right to be proud of playing a game like that in the Dome. I feel sorry for them because I hate to see any program and/or school close like that. Very sad and reminiscent of Morris Brown here in Atlanta.

TexasTerror
August 8th, 2011, 03:24 PM
They are back... I guess? No idea how this impacts their athletic programs. Probably need to get their footing back before they bring back the athletic program.

http://www.jacksonsun.com/article/20110806/NEWS01/108060322

kperk014
August 8th, 2011, 03:37 PM
They are back... I guess? No idea how this impacts their athletic programs. Probably need to get their footing back before they bring back the athletic program.

http://www.jacksonsun.com/article/20110806/NEWS01/108060322

Earlier articles said they wouldn't because it will no longer be an independent university. Of course nothing is ever written in stone.

DFW HOYA
August 8th, 2011, 03:46 PM
It's an auxilliary campus of Memphis, not a separate school.

TexasTerror
August 8th, 2011, 04:11 PM
It's an auxilliary campus of Memphis, not a separate school.

On the bright side, you got students that will be given a chance to continue their education... the article mentioned one young lady who was going to sit out a semester. Wonder how well they do on the start-up now that they are rolling again...

kperk014
August 8th, 2011, 06:01 PM
Maybe the best plan of action would be to mothball the Memphis football program and let Lambuth carry the flag into C-USA!

Bogus Megapardus
August 8th, 2011, 06:08 PM
Is/was Lambuth private?

Hmmmm . . . Patriot League expansion candidate?

TexasTerror
August 8th, 2011, 08:45 PM
Is/was Lambuth private?

Private...

Hmmmm . . . Patriot League expansion candidate?

Lambuth was trying to get into Division II - but there were strong concerns about their academic accreditation which stemmed from deep-rooted financial problems. Obviously, it did not prove to be a good formula for keeping the schools' doors open and they shut down...

Obviously any move to Division I would have to come following a stint in Division II. Lambuth had not progressed anywhere in the process, to say the least.