PDA

View Full Version : One Good Reason Renting a Public Stadium is a Bad Idea

Tuscon
April 15th, 2011, 06:29 PM
http://blogs.ajc.com/georgia-state-sports/2011/04/15/falcons-gsu-have-dome-conflict/

Blarg.

superman7515
April 15th, 2011, 06:46 PM
More importantly, Lambuth retiring undefeated, untied, and untested.

panama
April 15th, 2011, 07:59 PM
LMAO LOUD

Big Dawg
April 15th, 2011, 08:17 PM
Or ya'll could try to play at Morris Brown's old stadium which is pretty close to the Georgia Dome.

JSU02
April 15th, 2011, 09:05 PM
Or ya'll could try to play at Morris Brown's old stadium which is pretty close to the Georgia Dome.
Thats what I was thinking. It would sell out. You could charge a premium for tickets and make back of some of the lost ticket revenue from fewer seats...

DFW HOYA
April 15th, 2011, 10:56 PM
Play at Grant Field.

Redhawk2010
April 15th, 2011, 10:57 PM
I don't see what this has to do with renting a public stadium. If they were to rent a private stadium, they could easily run into this same problem.. I think it's dumb that their getting bumped though. For one thing, it's a preseason game. And for another, there's a (likely?) chance the NFL won't even be playing yet anyway!

Tuscon
April 16th, 2011, 04:00 AM
I don't see what this has to do with renting a public stadium. If they were to rent a private stadium, they could easily run into this same problem.. I think it's dumb that their getting bumped though. For one thing, it's a preseason game. And for another, there's a (likely?) chance the NFL won't even be playing yet anyway!

Thats kind of what I was thinking. It's not like it's a game that matters to them at all, and they definitely don't know if they're going to even play. BS, but it is what it is and we'll figure it out. I just meant not owning in the first place btw.

Redhawk2010
April 16th, 2011, 04:50 AM
We run in the same problem occasionally. Our basketball arena is a joint venture between the University and the City of Cape Girardeau. It seems quite often that our athletics department is about 4th on the list of 2. I don't know how often a basketball game actually gets changed to allow for other events, but it does happen. Also, I know this year they forced the gymnastics program to host their conference meet (5 teams) in the Fieldhouse which is way too small for that type of event.

blaw0203
April 16th, 2011, 07:38 AM

I think the notion has to do with renting a stadium period. If Georgia State were to have their own facility, this would never be an issue. I could understand a team renting a stadium if they were going to be the primary tenants, but to rent and be a secondary tenant is risky because of situations like this. I know its expensive, but GA State should seriously consider building their own facility or at least get a better contract that enables them the ability to lock in a schedule by a certain date.

Redbird Ray
April 16th, 2011, 09:42 AM
Is it crazy to think that a game between GSU and CA would draw more fans than a Falcons preseason game anyway? I mean, I wasn't aware that the Falcons actually had fans in the first place xlolx

Tuscon
April 17th, 2011, 03:15 AM
I hope the lockout sticks actually. I feel like Atlantans would need to get a football fix and grab a seat at the dome to see GSU play in a heartbeat. Preseason NFL games are boooooooring anyway.

Twentysix
April 17th, 2011, 04:14 AM
I hope the lockout sticks actually. I feel like Atlantans would need to get a football fix and grab a seat at the dome to see GSU play in a heartbeat. Preseason NFL games are boooooooring anyway.

Theyll be too busy running from zombies.

I just started the walking dead, first run in with atlanta(other than airport jokes). I will forever remeber that city as a zombie pit.

http://blogs.amctv.com/the-walking-dead/TWD-Key-Art-357.jpg

Tuscon
April 17th, 2011, 11:13 AM
Theyll be too busy running from zombies.

I just started the walking dead, first run in with atlanta(other than airport jokes). I will forever remeber that city as a zombie pit.

The street with the tank is lined with GSU signs on all the lights. Pretty awesome. That show is really great. The season ended a little stupid, and they fired all the writers, but I thought it was really well done.

GA St. MBB Fan
April 17th, 2011, 01:14 PM
The street with the tank is lined with GSU signs on all the lights. Pretty awesome. That show is really great. The season ended a little stupid, and they fired all the writers, but I thought it was really well done.

http://www.gsu.edu/magazine/images/2011spring/Tinseltown.jpg
http://www.gsu.edu/magazine/2011spring/369.html

Did they really fire all the writers? That sucks. Hopefully, the show doesn't suffer because of that. I'm not into "zombies," but I enjoyed the show, and was looking forward to the new season.

Tuscon
April 17th, 2011, 08:11 PM
Yeah, people complained that it didn't follow the graphic novels closely enough. Kind of annoying.

Twentysix
April 18th, 2011, 10:28 AM
Yeah, people complained that it didn't follow the graphic novels closely enough. Kind of annoying.

That is extremely disapointing, I just watched the first disc of the first season (4episodes) cause a friend told me it was a good show, after this many episodes im inclined to agree.

That is a terrible reason to fire writers. Unless its harry potter its pretty safe to say the majority of your audience didnt read the book....

cmaxwellgsu
April 18th, 2011, 10:55 AM
If Blank gets his way and builds an outdoor stadium where the old GM plant is, State might be sitting pretty with the Dome.

Tuscon
April 18th, 2011, 11:30 AM
If Blank gets his way and builds an outdoor stadium where the old GM plant is, State might be sitting pretty with the Dome.

It might be less worth it. The Falcons hoof a large portion of the costs at the Dome as it is. GSU's cost to rent the Dome would go up if the Falcons left leaving us with completely different figures on the stadium front.

Still no word from the GSU AD on this or the Lambuth situation.

The Eagle's Cliff
April 18th, 2011, 11:56 AM
Was the film crew just able to set the camera up during a normal weekday near the Ga State campus? xoopsx

Tuscon
April 18th, 2011, 12:08 PM
Was the film crew just able to set the camera up during a normal weekday near the Ga State campus? xoopsx

It's funny. That's how I always figured you viewed Atlanta. Ignorance is bliss I guess.

GaSouthern
April 18th, 2011, 12:59 PM
At least they can take out their anger on an easy Lambuth opponent when they come to town.

Tuscon
April 18th, 2011, 01:04 PM
At least they can take out their anger on an easy Lambuth opponent when they come to town.

And, for those of us paying attention, there is no more Lambuth. They went undefeated vs GSU!

panama
April 18th, 2011, 01:31 PM
They will tell stories for 100 years. Probably build a monument. It's like landing a lucky punch and knocking the Heavyweight Champ cold. Best to retire 5 minutes later.

FormerPokeCenter
April 18th, 2011, 02:34 PM
I think one of the biggest untold stories in this scheduling SNAFU is that it means the Georgia Sate cheer squad will have to either edit or completely revamp one of the greatest and most ubiquitous cheers in all of college football.

It's pretty clear the Panthers can't use the "Who's House? Our House" cheer. I think it would be pretty confusing, ya know?

Besides, "Who's House? / The Georgia World Congress Center's House, but they've leased it to the Atlanta Falcons in perpetuity" is quite the mouthful, right? ;)

blueballs
April 18th, 2011, 03:16 PM

They would go see Tech and UGA play. They won't take any program that can't beat Lambuth seriously when seeing the ACC and $EC are viable options.

Tuscon
April 18th, 2011, 03:38 PM
They would go see Tech and UGA play. They won't take any program that can't beat Lambuth seriously when seeing the ACC and $EC are viable options.

No one even knows who Lambuth is to know how bad that is. One of these days, you guys are gonna have to let it go.