PDA

View Full Version : Anyone have a Nov. 5th 2011 opening?

GA St. MBB Fan
April 11th, 2011, 03:20 PM
There seems to be a possibility that GA State's November 5th date against Lambuth may not happen. Anyone have an opening on Nov. 5th?

http://prideofthepanthers.blogspot.com/2011/04/what-happens-if-lambuth-doesnt-field.html

Just curious.

TTUEagles
April 11th, 2011, 04:57 PM
Yes! Tennessee TECH does...I've heard they've talked to Grambling about one of their open dates (?) but that's only from a rumor on this website. I'd say email the AD on ttusports.com (a link to this is on the main page, lower right corner) and I will too. I'd like to see that game and maybe a series happen...Easy travel for both schools.

GA St. MBB Fan
April 11th, 2011, 10:53 PM
Yes! Tennessee TECH does...I've heard they've talked to Grambling about one of their open dates (?) but that's only from a rumor on this website. I'd say email the AD on ttusports.com (a link to this is on the main page, lower right corner) and I will too. I'd like to see that game and maybe a series happen...Easy travel for both schools.

Cool. I made a post on our board, and maybe we can get a little campaign going to get this done. Besides, Lambuth could probably use the payoff money financially.

Edit: What do you think the chances of your A.D. being amenable to going on the road this year...since I'm sure GA State would want to replace a home game with a home game.

GA St. MBB Fan
April 11th, 2011, 11:19 PM

Are you sure you have an opening for Nov. 5th? It says here: http://www.championshipsubdivision.com/fcs-schedules/2011-fcs-football-schedules/ohio-valley-conference-2011-schedules/ - that you guys play Murray State on 11/5/2011. But I couldn't find a 2011 schedule on either the TTU or Murray State website.

nwFL Griz
April 12th, 2011, 07:38 AM
The OVC schedule has Murray @ TTU on 11/5. However both Murray and TTU have 10/22 open as well, so moving the game to that date shouldn't be too much of an issue...but who knows. Or you could move your game with Sout Alabama to Oct 1 (a common open date), and then you could play either TTU or Murray on 10/22. Just an idea.

NHwildEcat
April 12th, 2011, 08:09 AM
Lambuth must be looking for a tougher opponent?

GA St. MBB Fan
April 12th, 2011, 08:48 AM
The OVC schedule has Murray @ TTU on 11/5. However both Murray and TTU have 10/22 open as well, so moving the game to that date shouldn't be too much of an issue...but who knows. Or you could move your game with Sout Alabama to Oct 1 (a common open date), and then you could play either TTU or Murray on 10/22. Just an idea.

Yeah it seems like TTU maybe a good fit 'cause we have common opponents that could facilitate a switch, and they only have 10 games scheduled so far this season.

GA St. MBB Fan
April 12th, 2011, 08:49 AM
Lambuth must be looking for a tougher opponent?

Ha Ha. Funny. No, it seems like they may be folding their team.

elcid83
April 12th, 2011, 09:40 AM
Gardner-Webb has an opening on November 5. Get your AD to call our AD and you can come watch a great game in Boiling Springs, NC.

Go Runnin' Bulldogs!

GA St. MBB Fan
April 12th, 2011, 09:58 AM
Gardner-Webb has an opening on November 5. Get your AD to call our AD and you can come watch a great game in Boiling Springs, NC.

Go Runnin' Bulldogs!

What are the chances that you guys could come to Atlanta?

GA St. MBB Fan
April 12th, 2011, 10:02 AM

Go Runnin' Bulldogs!

Interesting. You guys are apparently slated to play Lambuth too.

cannonballgsu
April 12th, 2011, 11:38 AM
It's probably going to be tough finding someone to travel to the dome this late in the game. Everyone is going to want to play in their own stadium.

Lehigh Football Nation
April 12th, 2011, 12:20 PM
This is cross-posted on the 2011 schedules thread. Intriguingly, there are still FCS open dates that could be used to fill a schedule should Lambuth drop football.

Scenario 1: Lambuth drops football
Dayton at Gardner-Webb (9/24)
Mississippi Valley State at Murray State (9/10)
Murray State at Tennessee Tech (10/22)
Tennessee Tech at Georgia State (11/5)

Scenario 2: Lambuth does not drop football
Non-D-I school (Central State (OH)?) at Dayton (9/24)
Alcorn State at Tennessee Tech (10/8)
Murray State at Tennessee Tech (10/22 or 11/5)

In scenario 2, all the teams in question get 11 games. In scenario 1, only Alcorn State or MVSU get 10 games and the rest get 11.

GA St. MBB Fan
April 12th, 2011, 12:38 PM
This is cross-posted on the 2011 schedules thread. Intriguingly, there are still FCS open dates that could be used to fill a schedule should Lambuth drop football.

Scenario 1: Lambuth drops football
Dayton at Gardner-Webb (9/24)
Murray State at Tennessee Tech (10/22)
Murray State or Tennessee Tech at Georgia State (11/5)

(Team not playing Georgia State could then schedule Mississippi Valley State at Murray State (9/10) OR Alcorn State at Tennessee Tech (10/8))

Scenario 2: Lambuth does not drop football
Non-D-I school (Central State (OH)?) at Dayton (9/24)
Alcorn State at Tennessee Tech (10/8)
Murray State at Tennessee Tech (10/22 or 11/5)

In scenario 2, all the teams in question get 11 games. In scenario 1, only Alcorn State or MVSU get 10 games and the rest get 11.

In regard to the bolded above in your scenario one...Georgia State already plays Murray State earlier in the season.

NHwildEcat
April 12th, 2011, 01:08 PM
Ha Ha. Funny. No, it seems like they may be folding their team.

Oh really? That is too bad. I hate seeing programs go under. More football is better for all...

Lehigh Football Nation
April 12th, 2011, 01:22 PM
In regard to the bolded above in your scenario one...Georgia State already plays Murray State earlier in the season.

Thanks; I fixed my original post to reflect this. It was also was pointed out that UTSA has an opening on 11/5 as well, but you guys already play each other the prior week. It may increase flexibility for finding another date, maybe, but it would have to be with a sub-D-I team since no FCS teams have an open date on 10/29.

I-16Bandit
April 12th, 2011, 01:22 PM
I smell a possible all-time loosing record against the powerhouse that is Lambuth.

TTUEagles
April 12th, 2011, 02:45 PM
Does anyone have a link or reference to Lambuth dropping football? This surprises me...

GA St. MBB Fan
April 12th, 2011, 04:13 PM
Does anyone have a link or reference to Lambuth dropping football? This surprises me...

Well it was already pretty well known last year that they were financial trouble. And there was even thoughts then, that Lambuth may not have had a team to field against Georgia State in the 2010 season.

So a Georgia State blogger did some research and found that the school is still having financial troubles, and got some information from a source that he has that is familiar with the Lambuth situation, see: http://prideofthepanthers.blogspot.com/2011/04/what-happens-if-lambuth-doesnt-field.html

I didn't see any concern on their fan message board at www.lambuthfootball.com, but my take on it is that it might be better to be proactive - pay them off and schedule a game against a TTU or G-W than risk losing a game due to uncertainty.

elcid83
April 13th, 2011, 08:14 AM

If Lambuth folds, that leaves GW with only 4 homers and 2 possible dates to find a potential home game. Since we had Lambuth on the schedule, even a D-II team would be a stepup. We could travel to Atlanta in 2012 though.

Go Runnin' Bulldogs!

darell1976
April 14th, 2011, 04:51 PM
We host D2 transfer Sioux Falls and would love to have UND buy that game out and play you guys!!! We need FCS teams to host.

GA St. MBB Fan
April 14th, 2011, 09:55 PM
Lambuth closing: http://www.jacksonsun.com/article/20110414/NEWS01/110414008/Lambuth-University-will-close-June-30-three-colleges-including-University-Memphis-being-considered-take-over-campus?odyssey=nav|head

GA St. MBB Fan
April 15th, 2011, 09:18 AM
Lambuth closing: http://www.jacksonsun.com/article/20110414/NEWS01/110414008/Lambuth-University-will-close-June-30-three-colleges-including-University-Memphis-being-considered-take-over-campus?odyssey=nav|head

And just to confirm, whichever school takes it over will not be running the athletics department - so we officially have an opening on Nov. 5th now.
See: http://www.jacksonsun.com/article/20110415/SPORTS/104150305/1006/Closing-Lambuth-means-end-sports

While school officials are searching for a school to acquire the campus, athletics on Lambuth's campus would probably still not return.

"I haven't been told which schools the administration is talking to, but we've been told none of them are interested in continuing the athletic program if they were to come here," Brown said.

seantaylor
April 16th, 2011, 02:03 AM
Ouch. That has got to hurt. Can't avenge your loss. Kind of like Mike Tyson, the most overrated HW of all time, not being able to avenge his KO loss to Danny Willams.

TTUEagles
April 16th, 2011, 01:18 PM
I have now heard (3rd hand) that TTU has in fact talked with Gardner Webb and Georgia State about filling an open date on TECH's schedule. Also, they've been working with Murray State on rearranging each other's schedule to fit the extra game in...To my knowledge, Murray and TECH only have 10 games and haven't officially scheduled the TTU win over Murray in 2011xsmiley_wix