PDA

View Full Version : Ivy League?

Cocky
March 4th, 2006, 11:13 AM
Why doesn't a Ivy educated lawyer suit the league for not letting football participate in the playoffs, but letting every other sport participate?

Pard4Life
March 4th, 2006, 11:52 AM
And risk isolation and exclusion from the 'club'? Not many like to be martyrs... build a vociferous concensus first.

PapaBear
March 4th, 2006, 12:06 PM
vociferous concensus

That's PatriotLeaguespeak for "vocal majority.":read:

March 4th, 2006, 12:50 PM
That's PatriotLeaguespeak for "vocal majority.":read::lmao:

DFW HOYA
March 4th, 2006, 01:24 PM
Why doesn't a Ivy educated lawyer suit the league for not letting football participate in the playoffs, but letting every other sport participate?

Because, technically speaking, it's not the Ivy "League" but the Council of Ivy Group Presidents. If the presidents want to participate, they do. If not, they don't, and there's no rule in the NCAA which mandates participation in its football playoffs. (Ironically, there is in basketball, after the time Al McGuire snubbed the NCAA and went to the NIT instead.)

In the end, the Ivy's reason to pass is a lot like the SWAC--the conference title means more to them than the I-AA one.

colgate13
March 4th, 2006, 10:24 PM
I think the real reason is that it would have to be a current player that sues...

DFW HOYA
March 4th, 2006, 10:32 PM
Sues for what? As long as playoff participation is optional, there is no case.

colgate13
March 6th, 2006, 07:14 AM
Sues for what? As long as playoff participation is optional, there is no case.
I'm no lawyer, but there has to be some equal opportunity angle to this. All other Ivy sports are in the NCAA playoffs, except for this all male sport.

It's about the players suing the schools themselves, not the NCAA.

There's been plenty of talk on the Ivy Boards about this....