Benjamin Ijalana (OT)
Marquis Kirkland (LB)
Fred Maldonado (DB)
Martel Moody (DB)
Terry Thomas (LB)
Thomas Weaver (DL)
Chris Whitney (QB)

Dino Vasso (DB) New Hampshire
Tyler Batts (RB) Gannon (listed, but did not see him)
Jamal Smith (WR) Millersville
Anthony Walters (DB) Delaware
Derek Ferenza (P,K) Cal, Pa.

The kids were tested in the order listed above.

Vasso & Walters only participated in the 5-10-5 shuttle, L-Cone, and defensive drills (drop back pass coverage).

Vasso told me he did the same at UNH, but there was not a big turn out of NFL scouts there. He came to Nova's to take advantage of the large presence of NFL scouts.

23 teams were reportedly there, and that may have been the number if not more. My untrained eye caught 18;

Bills, Browns, Chargers, Chiefs, Colts, Dolphins, Eagles, Falcons, Giants, Jets, Packers, Panthers, Raiders, Rams, Seahawks, Steelers, Titans, 49'ers.

There were several others who I could not determine which team they represented.

Without question the crowd was there to see Ben, and he appeared to have a very good showing.

9:00 Measurements (Ht, Wt, Wing, Length, Hand) were taken
9:25 Bench Press (Dempsey) may have had the highest reps, or was at least one of the highest.
9:45 Jump testing (Babbaro had a very good verticle.)
10:15 40
10:50 Field Testing (Shuttle, L-Cone)
11:30 Position Drills

The event ran faster than the posted start times. Position Drills began with OL. Ijalana and Clouser participated in this with all Scouts paying close attention. After some footwork drills, The Browns, Seahawks, Dolphins and one other team (I forget which one) put them through specific drills. Most of the time was spent on Ijalana, but the Falcons also looked at Clouser at the Center spot.

In the offensive drills, the Packers, Browns, 49'ers, and Jets paid very close attention to Whitney. Whitney only had 4 receivers to throw to (Babbaro, Farmer, Smith, and one other). Whitney looked sharp, accurate, and his short and mid range throws had heat on them, and the long throws were on target and over the appropriate shoulder.

The defensive drills (DB's & LB's) was administered by the Packers & 49'ers which featured drop back, coverage, and breaking on the ball. Surprisingly, while a few NFL reps did leave after the OL was done, many stayed and watched the remainder of the workouts.

After these drills, one rep (I could not see team affiliation) worked out Walters individually, and the Packers also took interest in Walters.

The Colts administered the Wonderlik test to Thomas. The Giants invited Thomas & Weaver to their workout next Thursday 4/14 at the Meadowlands.

There were a number of other reps speaking with individual players as well.

Anovafan
April 7th, 2011, 12:51 PM
Nice write-up, well done.

So much talent graduating, it hurts to see them go.

jstclmet
April 7th, 2011, 12:56 PM
Nice write-up, well done.

So much talent graduating, it hurts to see them go.

One thing I forgot to mention. Watching Vasso & Walters work out in the Def drills, I made the comment after they were done that they would have looked good in Nova Navy Blue the past 4 years, to which Walters replied

"....Yea, at least I'd have a ring....",
I was thinking maybe 2 or 3 rings with those two.

HailSzczur
April 7th, 2011, 02:58 PM
I could see whitney latching on with some pro team....most likely as a free agent signing

The problem with alot of these guys are they are undersized, like Maldonado. He was one of the hardest hitters I've seen, but his size will keep him from the next level

Tribe4SF
April 8th, 2011, 08:15 AM
This was a loaded class for Nova. Add Sczcur to that list and it's alot to lose.

RookieWill
April 9th, 2011, 09:21 PM
Didn't the cats lose two or three recruits from that class that were kicked out before they even stared school? Would have been even better

DTSpider
April 9th, 2011, 10:27 PM
On a different note, has there not been mention anywhere else of 'Nova's move to the Big East? Radio in Richmond was reporting on Friday that it is expected to be approved in the board meeting on Tuesday. Any confirmation of this from Nova fans?