PDA

View Full Version : LFN: Final Four Fun = Football in VCU's Future?

Lehigh Football Nation
April 5th, 2011, 12:53 PM
http://lehighfootballnation.blogspot.com/2011/04/final-four-run-football-in-vcus-future.html

I lay out what has happened in the last three weeks in the CAA thanks to VCU's football run. Not only has it made the CAA a more attractive option for teams that want to play FCS football, it seems like VCU football is also becoming less of a dream of Ram fans and more of a reality - sooner rather than later.

bostonspider
April 5th, 2011, 02:09 PM
Well it sounds nice, but I am not sure the economics at VCU will allow a move to a football team. To buy and refurbish City Stadium into a nice FCS facility will cost far more than 2.5 Million. Anyone who has attended a game there in the last few years knows that the stadium needs a lot more than cosmetic enhancements. And then there are the issues of VCU affording 130 more scholarships, as well as the coaching and program costs. VCU has been taken to task by the Governor of Virginia for raising their tuition too quickly and too severly. I do not see the ability to step up and afford the costs of building a new FCS program unless a big ticket donor steps forward. VCU is in many ways too young, too urban, and too inclusive to be the type of University to have lots of alumni with big bucks to give back to the school. I am also not at all sure that the students would vote for what would have to be a large increase in the Athletic Fees to be able to afford FCS football on an annual basis. I just do not see it happening. Now VCU very well might by City Stadium, as it is a sizable piece of property not far from their campus, but having football by 2013? That is a pipe dream.

NHwildEcat
April 5th, 2011, 02:10 PM
Great post LFN. It is interesting how closely tied all the athletic programs are at every school and I know, I for one, don't take the time to really think about how the success of one can affect the possiblilities of another. I think it would be great if VCU started up football and played in the CAA...the conference, I feel, is in desperate need for more teams as it appears we will be losing more and more as the years pass by due to the increasing costs and lack of University committments that are seen throughout the college landscape. I know in NH we have no money as a state (much like just about every other state) and no one thinks it is responsible to spend any money on the U and especially not the athletics, such as football or possibly re-instating baseball, or ceating lacrosse. Its unfortuate when colleges and universities have to withhold their students from these great opportunities as athletes and fans.

A sport like football has the power to unite a campus, sure VCU is riding high now as they should be, but I think football would really pull that school ever so closer together and create a stronger U overall...

I fight the same fight with my alma mater (Souther NH University) we have no football program, but have had success at basketball in the world of D2 but getting the administration to even look into football is considered insane and crazy. Although, I know damn well that it would unite the alumni and give us something to come together on and a reason to invest in the campus and its vital future.

At any rate...very good read. Thanks for taking the time!

GannonFan
April 5th, 2011, 02:13 PM
Not sure if it really helps the football angle. With the new contract for Shaka, all the extra money they are getting from the tourney run is going directly into his paycheck, and that'll only cover about half of his salary, so the first destination of any new donations are going to be also to his salary. They've pretty much doubled down, and then some, on Shaka - not facilities, not other teams, just him. With that said, I don't think it hurts the football angle either - the stadium, as you say, is there and pretty cheap. And the people who wanted football probably still want football today. I think football was going to happen there anyway, but I don't see the tourney run really fueling that - the tourney run's fuel is already completely spoken for with Shaka's contract.

NHwildEcat
April 5th, 2011, 02:22 PM
Not sure if it really helps the football angle. With the new contract for Shaka, all the extra money they are getting from the tourney run is going directly into his paycheck, and that'll only cover about half of his salary, so the first destination of any new donations are going to be also to his salary. They've pretty much doubled down, and then some, on Shaka - not facilities, not other teams, just him. With that said, I don't think it hurts the football angle either - the stadium, as you say, is there and pretty cheap. And the people who wanted football probably still want football today. I think football was going to happen there anyway, but I don't see the tourney run really fueling that - the tourney run's fuel is already completely spoken for with Shaka's contract.

With that money tied up on the coaching salary it begs to ask the question of whether it makes sense for a school like VCU to spend that much green on a head coach? Not saying one way or the other, but I don't think I would want that much of the money coming in to go towards the coach. What are the odds that they get back to the Final 4 next year or in the future? When a team has success like this it is quite hard to maintain especially when you are new to the block. Might have been better to spend the money coming in on improvements to the entire athletic structure of the school rather then spending excessively in one location.

VBR_Productions
April 5th, 2011, 02:25 PM
I like this concept and have tried to follow GMU and VCU activity in establishing football. With Old Dominion and Georgia State starting football recently, I am fascinated with how other schools and other conferences react to new programs. You bring up some good points but there are a couple things to consider. First, be prepared for fans of A-10 schools you've listed to tell you that the A-10 is a better overall conference for basketball than the CAA, and historically this is accurate. On other boards and even threads on AGS, they have spelled out debates about this.

Regarding City Stadium, there is at least one private developer who's expressed interest in purchasing the land in question for development (retail, etc). If you search for "City Stadium" on the RTD website, you can find the articles. This could increase the taxable base for the city. The City of Richmond has been averse to change, so the stadium has that going for it. The admins of VCU have expressed interest in taking over ownership of the land in a stewardship capacity.

Another factor is the political situation of VCU's new president. Around this time last year he announced a 25% (+/-) increase in tuition. Over the winter while the Virginia government was working on its budget, the governor announced a 14% drop in state funds provided to VCU in direct response to this increase in tuition. The arrival of football would require an increase in student fees; how would Rao manage this increase after the governor essentially punished for raising tuition?

Lastly, I disagree with your assertion about VCU playing by 2013. Towards the end of 2010 their athletic director said that he and the president would commission a study early in 2011. In one of the stories about the status of City Stadium, Teague said they hadn't started studying football yet. Old Dominion announced football in 2006 and played its first game in 2009. Charlotte announced its plans for football in 2009 (?) and won't play until 2013. 30 months (between now and September 2013) is not sufficient to do a formal analysis, confirm support from the local area (business and individuals), settle the stadium issue, acquire land for practice facilities, hire a coaching staff, hiring the staff to ensure Title IX compliance, recruit and field a team. If the Rams announced football today then they could kick off by 2014 at the earliest. Having followed start-ups like ODU, Georgia State and currently Charlotte, there are too many things to get done in less than three full years.

ur2k
April 5th, 2011, 02:26 PM

They are also putting a few million into renovating the b-ball arena with club seating and boxes.

I don't see their run in b-ball having anything to do with the possibility of them getting a football team. Did GMU add football after 2006? VCU will have a football team if enough private donations are secured to pay the start-up costs, i really don't see it happening otherwise.

The city stadium thing is likely just a land grab on VCU's part. Its a nice piece of land not far from campus that can serve a number of uses (including a stadium possibly). Not much other open "develop-able" space in the middle of an urban campus environment.

bostonspider
April 5th, 2011, 02:32 PM
For VCU it makes sense, as they are an urban school which takes great pride in their history of basketball success. They have been as high as a 2 seed back in the early eighties. I think they are hoping to become the Gonzaga or Xavier of east coast basketball. Of course Richmond thinks they should be that east coast mid level "powerhouse" as well, and are paying Mooney about the same amount VCU is paying Smart.

Lehigh Football Nation
April 5th, 2011, 02:57 PM
I don't see their run in b-ball having anything to do with the possibility of them getting a football team. Did GMU add football after 2006? VCU will have a football team if enough private donations are secured to pay the start-up costs, i really don't see it happening otherwise.

The city stadium thing is likely just a land grab on VCU's part. Its a nice piece of land not far from campus that can serve a number of uses (including a stadium possibly). Not much other open "develop-able" space in the middle of an urban campus environment.

A valid point about GMU. However, VCU is different than GMU in three important respects. One, there is a lot of interest in a VCU football program dating back some years now. Two, there is a ready-made stadium that can be had for a lot less than GMU's start-up costs. And third, their AD does not seem hell-bent on keeping VCU as a basketball-only school.

The X factor will be that "private donations" thing you mention. Basically, will VCU's run result in increased donations and/or a deep-pocketed donor coming forward for athletics? If it doesn't, then football probably won't happen. However, I have a feeling that there will be an increase to athletics' bottom line, and that will be the grease that makes football at VCU a reality. IMO, of course.

henfan
April 5th, 2011, 08:18 PM
While VCU has until 2017 to add FB and obtain guaranteed admission into CAA Football, my guess is that they would have to act much sooner than that or that opportunity might disappear. 2013 seems way too optimistic, however.

If VCU were to study FB, I think we'd be looking at 2014 or 2015 at the very soonest. And if VCU doesn't land City Stadium, this opportunity is going to pass them by.

FWIW, VCU is starting football at the club level this fall.

ur2k
April 6th, 2011, 03:03 PM
And if VCU doesn't land City Stadium, this opportunity is going to pass them by.

That's not necessarily the case, there's a stadium in Richmond that they currently play soccer at that would serve as a potential location

http://www.sportsbackers.org/organization/stadium.htm

Its right next to the AA-baseball stadium here in Richmond, so you have the parking already in place.

http://www.chacompanies.com/images/projects/VCU.jpg

UAalum72
April 6th, 2011, 03:33 PM
That's not necessarily the case, there's a stadium in Richmond that they currently play soccer at that would serve as a potential location

http://www.sportsbackers.org/organization/stadium.htm

Its right next to the AA-baseball stadium here in Richmond, so you have the parking already in place.

It only seats 3,250 (plus skyboxes) so this wouldn't be cheap getting it to the standard to which they'd like to be accustomed

ur2k
April 6th, 2011, 03:50 PM
Yeah, but they would probably pretty much start from scratch at City Stadium considering its condition, same as Sports Backers Stadium when you look at its current size.

I think the an important consideration (as an urban institution without limitless empty tracts of land) is having an available site close to campus where you can build a suitable facility. Both City Stadium and Sports Backers Stadium fit that bill. My point being that even if they don't wind up with the old UR stadium location, all is not lost for them.