PDA

View Full Version : SFA: Coach Changes Led to APR Sanctions

TexasTerror
March 3rd, 2006, 08:02 AM
I'm not sure what to make of this. The AD at SFA is saying that NCAA APR numbers are greatly impacted by changes in coaching staffs. If this was the case, wouldn't more schools have issues as we all know how that coaching carousel works? Some schools are obviously finding ways to do it differently. What does everyone make of this?

Prairie View A&M had problems and it wasn't their coaches' first year, heck they just added scholarships!
--------
According to Hill, SFA and Nicholls State — the two Southland Conference schools affected in the NCAA's findings — were teams that went through the transition of the firing and hiring of coaches in the years of the study.

Nicholls State was among six schools that received the maximum penalty in Division I-AA football — 6.3 scholarships.

“It was Santiago's last year and McFarland's first year,” Hill said. “There were a lot of players coming and going in the program. The coaching change was the primary reason for this.”

“Anytime you have a coaching turnover, the numbers (academic performance rate) are going to be low,” said Matt Fenley, SFA's associate athletic director of compliance.

http://www.dailysentinel.com/news/content/news/stories/2006/03/03/20060303NDSsfa.html

Green Cookie Monster
March 3rd, 2006, 08:09 AM
Same with Sac State. We had a new President, AD and HC's in football and track. The interim AD at the time was/is our volleyball coach.

Lehigh Football Nation
March 3rd, 2006, 09:46 AM
This APR nonsense is rapidly becoming a mockery of its original intent. It's outrageous that the only schools (football-wise) that are being affected are I-AA's and mid-major I-As, while the "big boys" are claiming "mission exceptions" and playing statistical games.

They should scrap these sanctions, pronto, IMO.

3rd Coast Tiger
March 3rd, 2006, 03:53 PM
It's outrageous that the only schools (football-wise) that are being affected are I-AA's and mid-major I-As, while the "big boys" are claiming "mission exceptions" and playing statistical games.

Which big boys are claiming mission exceptions?

Cap'n Cat
March 3rd, 2006, 04:21 PM
Which big boys are claiming mission exceptions?

BYU?