PDA

View Full Version : Coaching Carousel Article

ngineer
March 2nd, 2006, 10:28 PM
Excellent article by Matt Dougherty on The Sports Network website analyzing the various coaching changes in I-AA around the country. www.sportsnetwork.com

DFW HOYA
March 3rd, 2006, 06:36 AM
Dougherty has often criticized Georgetown in these columns, and his noting attendance reads that way. He writes "Since the Hoyas only averaged a tad over 2,000 fans per game in 2005 at tiny Multi-Sport Field, the expectations for winning right now are certainly limited."

Attendance and expectations are not one in the same. The Hoyas just don't have many seats to work (and fewer parking spaces, as some PL fans will attest) but drew at or near capacity in three of its six games. Saying "the Hoyas are going to have to start winning and building a fan base soon" doesn't seem to suggest where they are and where they're going.

colgate13
March 3rd, 2006, 07:41 AM
He also has to do more homework. Fordham's Prydatko is back for a 5th year, along with Marcus Taylor.

I agree that statement about the Hoyas seems from left field. Given the size of the field and the contstruction going on, attendance might be a bad indicator of interest. We've all talked about this before, it's money spent on the program that one should look at. I do agree with his point though about Georgetown essentially being the 'sleeping giant' of the PL. The Hoyas just need that spark (and some cash in the program), and they could snowball into a very nice PL program.

Cap'n Cat
March 3rd, 2006, 12:30 PM
Good article by Matt. The Gateway will be a topsy-turvy league this year with the hiring of Allen at MSU. He'll do well.

bandl
March 3rd, 2006, 12:43 PM
Dougherty has often criticized Georgetown in these columns, and his noting attendance reads that way. He writes "Since the Hoyas only averaged a tad over 2,000 fans per game in 2005 at tiny Multi-Sport Field, the expectations for winning right now are certainly limited."

Attendance and expectations are not one in the same. The Hoyas just don't have many seats to work (and fewer parking spaces, as some PL fans will attest) but drew at or near capacity in three of its six games. Saying "the Hoyas are going to have to start winning and building a fan base soon" doesn't seem to suggest where they are and where they're going.
I was at the Multi-Sport field just last weekend for the G'Town/MD lacross game. That place is certainly tiny! But there was construction on the hillside to the left of the homeside...looks to me like they are adding more seats?? There is also definitely some room to add more seats on top of the visitors side bleachers.
As for getting there...take the metro to Rosslyn, then take the $1 bus across the bridge....not too difficult.

ngineer
March 3rd, 2006, 08:43 PM
He also has to do more homework. Fordham's Prydatko is back for a 5th year, along with Marcus Taylor.

I agree that statement about the Hoyas seems from left field. Given the size of the field and the contstruction going on, attendance might be a bad indicator of interest. We've all talked about this before, it's money spent on the program that one should look at. I do agree with his point though about Georgetown essentially being the 'sleeping giant' of the PL. The Hoyas just need that spark (and some cash in the program), and they could snowball into a very nice PL program.

Yes, I do agree he's made a few errrors--like noting the loss of Royce Morgan, when he is expected back for a medical redshirt year. But I think some of his errors are based on the fact the formalities of the 5th years aren't necessarily 'official' yet. Not sure when that information is issued as opposed to when his article was being written.