PDA

View Full Version : You might be an FCS football fan if...

FCS_pwns_FBS
April 1st, 2011, 11:17 AM
1. You can correctly name the four classifications in which college football teams play while paid ESPN talking heads can't seem to.

2. You actually know that the term "Ivy League" refers to a sports conference and not some official academic classification.

3. You actually know the Ivy League teams play football and in Division I to boot!

4. You're white and you can name more HBCU's than the vast majority of college-educated black people.

5. You aren't foolish enough to to buy into the argument that playoffs in college football devalue the regular season and you realize that they produce more interesting matchups than the bowl system does.

6. You don't think the team ranked number 1 in human and computer polls is a shoo-in to win a national championship.

Can anyone else think of some other good ones?

UAalum72
April 1st, 2011, 03:03 PM
You've never used the phrase "FCS or one-double-a or whatever they're calling it now"

TheBisonator
April 1st, 2011, 04:25 PM
You're the only one in your group of BCS fan friends who looks forward to the South Dakota/Wisconsin matchup or the North Dakota State/Minnesota matchup.

On a fall Saturday night, you're watching Northern Iowa/Western Illinois on DirectTV channel 1,243,653 instead of the Ohio State/Penn State game on ABC. And you realize the game you're watching is more interesting.

You can proudly say to your BCS buddies that "My team competes for the Division I National Football Championship!!", and you would be correct.

downbythebeach
April 1st, 2011, 05:31 PM
You yell at the T.V. when some announces talks about creating a Division 1 football playoff as if it doesnt already exist.

downbythebeach
April 1st, 2011, 05:32 PM
You wish Butler University spent a little bit more money on their football team

HailSzczur
April 1st, 2011, 06:21 PM
If your friends think your school plays DII football, or doesnt even have a football team

DFW HOYA
April 1st, 2011, 06:27 PM
You hope Justin.tv is still up and running by September.

downbythebeach
April 1st, 2011, 09:11 PM
You've advocated Lambuth College move to NCAA D I

downbythebeach
April 1st, 2011, 09:12 PM
You've spent a weekend night in Youngstown, OH but not to buy drugs

ThompsonThe
April 1st, 2011, 10:31 PM
1. You can correctly name the four classifications in which college football teams play while paid ESPN talking heads can't seem to.

2. You actually know that the term "Ivy League" refers to a sports conference and not some official academic classification.

3. You actually know the Ivy League teams play football and in Division I to boot!

4. You're white and you can name more HBCU's than the vast majority of college-educated black people.

5. You aren't foolish enough to to buy into the argument that playoffs in college football devalue the regular season and you realize that they produce more interesting matchups than the bowl system does.

6. You don't think the team ranked number 1 in human and computer polls is a shoo-in to win a national championship.

Can anyone else think of some other good ones?

You know that the CAA will claim to be the best thing since hamburger helper no matter the situation.
You hate, like, respect, and find intolerable GaSo; all at the same time.
If you ever need "bull crap" you can always go to the other GSU web site.
You can't stand the "off" season.
You hate it when people say that your team plays Division 2 football.
You know that Liberty will fade late in the season.
You get tired of UNCC's five fans talking about how wonderful they are going to be in football; yet have only sold about 3300 PSL's of the 5,000 that the school said they had to sell within six months, 3 years later. You also wonder how a completely new school in 1964 can manufacture a history by claiming to be some World War II service school that was around in the forties for three years. And how the local community college is so so much larger than them.
You wonder when S.C. State is going to make a break through and go far into the championship playoffs.
You might be an FCS football fan if you wonder why Coastal Carolina hasn't regained their football prowess of a few years ago.
You would have to be an FCS football fan to wonder year after year why Western Carolina has such poor football seasons year after year.
FCS football fans wonder what Mickey "the Mouth" Matthews will say at JMU the following football season. And why JMU hasn't been doing so well, especially with that new stadium addition going up.
You wonder why Appalachian State and Delaware stayed in the FCS.
FCS fans wonder why the "Ivy League" doesn't play in the post season play....it's not like they need to study or something.
You wonder why GaSo has Baker as AD and why they went away from the TO, and why they had so many coaches in just a few years.
FCS fans wonder why East Tennessee was forced out of the SoCon because they were dropping football and why the SoCon then has several schools that do not play football.
FCS fans wonder if Villanova will join the Big East in football, and if so how that would work.
FCS fans wonder how many schools are in the Dakotas, and how to tell them apart.
FCS fans wonder why the NCAA took it's championship game away from Chattanooga and put it in Texas.
FCS fans wonder why the NCAA changed the title game to January, and made the playoffs larger.

49RFootballNow
April 1st, 2011, 10:38 PM
You get tired of UNCC's five fans talking about how wonderful they are going to be in football; yet have only sold about 3300 PSL's of the 5,000 that the school said they had to sell within six months, 3 years later. You also wonder how a completely new school in 1964 can manufacture a history by claiming to be some World War II service school that was around in the forties for three years. And how the local community college is so so much larger than them.

You realize how strange you are, don't you?

CPCC = 19,000 students
UNC Charlotte = 25,000

http://charlotte.news14.com/content/video_stories/629318/enrollment-up--funding-down-as-fall-classes-start-at-cpcc?ap=1&MP4

ThompsonThe
April 2nd, 2011, 01:17 AM
Ah, ____ crawl out of their _______. I figured the over/under on 1 hour to 2 hours for you to reply. Knew that would get you. Good thing that your parents provide you with the opportunity to troll the websites continuously down in your basement kingdom.
You know that CPCC has over 85,000 students and with their six campuses within Mecklenburg County.
Where are your four friends?

401ks
April 2nd, 2011, 03:30 AM
xcoffeex

Reading through the list, I was absolutely an FCS football fan until I came to this one.

You wish Butler University spent a little bit more money on their football team

I didn't realize that the Bulldog football team was in such dire need!

Do you mean that they should have spent $2.8 million on the Butler Bowl renovation instead of just $2.6 million??

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4091/5045917367_e9688a2909.jpg

xpeacex

BlackNGoldR3v0lut10n
April 2nd, 2011, 05:21 AM
xcoffeex

Reading through the list, I was absolutely an FCS football fan until I came to this one.

Do you mean that they should have spent $2.8 million on the Butler Bowl renovation instead of just $2.6 million??

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4091/5045917367_e9688a2909.jpg

xpeacex

Maybe they meant money on football scholarships. BTW, congrats on the making the Final Four again.

49RFootballNow
April 2nd, 2011, 05:50 AM
Ah, ____ crawl out of their _______. I figured the over/under on 1 hour to 2 hours for you to reply. Knew that would get you. Good thing that your parents provide you with the opportunity to troll the websites continuously down in your basement kingdom.
You know that CPCC has over 85,000 students and with their six campuses within Mecklenburg County.
Where are your four friends?

You really need to stop with the Meth. It's not good for you.

TheBisonator
April 2nd, 2011, 06:24 AM
xcoffeex

xpeacex

The Butler Bowl is a million times better looking in the pictures I was able to just now see than the assumption and hearsay I heard about the place in the past. This place looks better than a good majority of DII stadiums.

http://www.butlersports.com/information/facilities/web-bowl-final-empty.jpg?max_height=533&max_width=800

If you guys can somehow come up with enough money for, say 40 scholarships, the MVFC would be glad to take you in. (That is, if the MVFC decided to go to 12 teams)

UAalum72
April 2nd, 2011, 08:31 AM
FCS fans wonder why the "Ivy League" doesn't play in the post season play....
FCS fans wonder why the NCAA ...made the playoffs larger.
FCS fans wonder why FCS has the only NCAA playoff that doesn't give an autobid to every eligible conference

Real FCS fans know that if you want every eligible league in the playoffs, the playoff must be large enough to accomodate them.

91Niner
April 2nd, 2011, 08:59 AM
You know that the CAA will claim to be the best thing since hamburger helper no matter the situation.
You wonder when S.C. State is going to make a break through and go far into the championship playoffs.
You might be an FCS football fan if you wonder why Coastal Carolina hasn't regained their football prowess of a few years ago.
You would have to be an FCS football fan to wonder year after year why Western Carolina has such poor football seasons year after year.
FCS football fans wonder what Mickey "the Mouth" Matthews will say at JMU the following football season. And why JMU hasn't been doing so well, especially with that new stadium addition going up.
FCS fans wonder why the "Ivy League" doesn't play in the post season play....it's not like they need to study or something.
You wonder why GaSo has Baker as AD and why they went away from the TO, and why they had so many coaches in just a few years.
FCS fans wonder why East Tennessee was forced out of the SoCon because they were dropping football and why the SoCon then has several schools that do not play football.
FCS fans wonder if Villanova will join the Big East in football, and if so how that would work.
FCS fans wonder how many schools are in the Dakotas, and how to tell them apart.
FCS fans wonder why the NCAA took it's championship game away from Chattanooga and put it in Texas.
FCS fans wonder why the NCAA changed the title game to January, and made the playoffs larger.

.......You wonder why UNC-Tweetsie fans are so obsessed with Charlotte 49er football.

Charlotte started in 1946 and has NEVER closed its doors since then. Not sure why you think the school was "completely new" in 1964. It simply joined the UNC system then....surely even you know this....and you KNOW you're wrong on the FSL "goal". The goal was to raise approximately $5m from FSl sales and we've raised more than $4.5M just from FSLs to this point. The 5000 number was simply assuming 5000 of the $1000 FSLs, but we later added a $2500 FSL option. This explains how we've basically reached the goal in dollars which of course was the actual goal. Note: we've raise much more if you include all the unannounced corporate/large gifts as well.

DFW HOYA
April 2nd, 2011, 08:59 AM
The Butler Bowl is a million times better looking in the pictures I was able to just now see than the assumption and hearsay I heard about the place in the past. This place looks better than a good majority of DII stadiums.

And some I-AA stadiums, too...

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_5aDKqsf1RVE/SpSMgdAzrwI/AAAAAAAAAFQ/yTpXuof1UQU/s400/msf5.jpg

DetroitFlyer
April 2nd, 2011, 09:13 AM
You are completely honked off that in spite of meeting all the requirements and having requested a bid, you know that the PFL is being yanked around by the NCAA by not receiving an automatic bid to the playoffs....

DetroitFlyer
April 2nd, 2011, 09:14 AM
You know that "PFL" stands for the Pioneer Football League. You also know the meaning of the term "Dayton Rule".

ThompsonThe
April 2nd, 2011, 10:05 AM
Revisionist History is alive and well in Charlotte.
Charlotte College wasn't even a four year college until 1963.

Lehigh Football Nation
April 2nd, 2011, 10:11 AM
You actively wonder why UNC-Asheville doesn't start up play in the Big South Conference in football.

DJOM
April 2nd, 2011, 10:35 AM
You can identify the schools and teams that are represented on the various items of clothing worn by Adam Sandler in "The GrownUps"

and

You believe that receiving a marketable degree is the real reason to go to College.

glsjunior
April 3rd, 2011, 10:12 AM
When your season tix on the 30 yard line lower level are $150.

UAalum72
April 3rd, 2011, 01:57 PM
When your season tix on the 30 yard line lower level are $150.

...or $35.

91Niner
April 3rd, 2011, 03:52 PM
Revisionist History is alive and well in Charlotte.
Charlotte College wasn't even a four year college until 1963.

So what, wasn't UNC-Tweetsie still a "teacher's college" then...haha.......we've been part of the UNC system longer than you guys have.

spdrumline
April 3rd, 2011, 05:18 PM
So what, wasn't UNC-Tweetsie still a "teacher's college" then...haha.......we've been part of the UNC system longer than you guys have.

I was wondering why so many App State fans came down on the side of Southern in the battle of the GSU's, but then I read this thread. Wow.

Tuscon
April 3rd, 2011, 05:53 PM
I was wondering why so many App State fans came down on the side of Southern in the battle of the GSU's, but then I read this thread. Wow.

Hahaha. I agree. This is worse than anything we've come up with.

Ivytalk
April 3rd, 2011, 06:05 PM
You know that "PFL" stands for the Pioneer Football League. You also know the meaning of the term "Dayton Rule".

Or "Purple for Life."xcoolx

R3TRO
April 3rd, 2011, 06:14 PM
...if being "Furmaned" means something to you.

Lulu
April 3rd, 2011, 09:27 PM
Go for 2 means several different things.

citdog
April 3rd, 2011, 09:47 PM
you know that a real military school rivalry has to be between two schools whose Cadets whipped the US Army on the battlefield.

eaglewraith
April 4th, 2011, 01:40 PM
...if being "Furmaned" means something to you.

Or "Woofed" (or is it Woffed? I always get it confused)

App-a-latch-un
April 5th, 2011, 02:26 AM
If you're pure at heart

panama
April 5th, 2011, 09:40 AM
...if you emailed Phil Steele in February to find out if the FCS only issue will have regional covers. (I need a life)

Answer: Maybe. Depends on the demand.

SpeedkingATL
April 5th, 2011, 10:12 AM
....you have visitied places like Cullowhee, Statesboro, Orangeburg, Spartanburg, and Clinton....on purpose.

WUTNDITWAA
April 5th, 2011, 12:28 PM
If the phrase "beautiful Eagle Creek" means anything to you. Good or bad.

LBPop
April 5th, 2011, 01:04 PM
If you are the Dad of a (now former) Georgetown football player and have responded dozens of times to the reaction, "Oh, I didn't know Georgetown had a football team". This sentence was often uttered by someone who lived within 10 miles of the campus.
xbangx

Twentysix
April 5th, 2011, 02:48 PM
FCS fans wonder how many schools are in the Dakotas, and how to tell them apart.FCS fans wonder why the NCAA took it's championship game away from Chattanooga and put it in Texas.

Not many. North Dakota has less than 20, Granted ND is roughly the same size as your average posters metro population(650k). I think South Dakota is about that aswell(Schools and population). 4 are DI(FCS).

Poly's Brutality
April 6th, 2011, 03:17 AM
Top Ten reasons….

You might be an FCS football fan if...

10. … When trying to explain your team to somebody you still mess up the 'fcs', 'fbs', 'fca', 'fbcs' or whatever those confusing letters mean anyway….xconfusedx

You might also be an FCS football fan if...

9. … you notice that when you tried to explain to a Neb or OKla fan that, yes, THAT college does have a football team, you noticed there was absolutely NO difference between the two: it was the exact same glassy-eyed look that came over all their faces at the exact same time….xnodx

8. … you are really good now at giving your relatives geography lessons on where those first couple games were, and thought about fudgin’ a little on the actual name of the team yours was playing….xeyebrowx

Or, you might be an FCS football fan if...

7. … you notice that the local fans are more friendly, genuine and “real” than the FBS snobs, and at least half the food and drink you consumed was given you by some smiling person wishing you well, just not your team… xcoolx

You could be an FCS football fan if...

6. … you heard it was a big game but you look around the stadium at halftime and you’re still wondering where all the people are, thinking - traffic must horrible someplace, or - the ticket takers just aren’t any good, or - the students must be out on break, or, “These people must have lousy marketing”…. xoopsx

5. … you think the game must be close to over even though it’s not even halftime – just look at that score up there…. ;)

4. … you heard your new kicker was going to be really good this year, and he still only kicks off to the 18 yard line - when he doesn’t kick it out of bounds, that is…. xbawlingx

4. … you have no problem ordering the top of the line seats at the visitors’ stadium, proclaiming loudly to your friends “Money is no object” (compared to sitting in the visitor section with the same old people yellin’ the same old stuff for only about ten bucks less)…. xnodx

You would be a real FCS football fan if...

3. If you bought early tickets for the Frisco game as soon as they came out, - and went anyway…. xbowx

2. … you find yourself rooting for every FCS player you used to hate with a passion but now it’s NFL draft day and you hope that jerk goes high in the first round…. xrotatehx

And the number 1 reason: ….

1. … You’re absolutely certain until your dying day that it would’ve been YOUR team in Frisco if they had only had those darned replays back then….xwhistlex

LONG LIVE THE FCS, Baby!!!

TheBisonator
April 6th, 2011, 04:52 PM
Not many. North Dakota has less than 20, Granted ND is roughly the same size as your average posters metro population(650k). I think South Dakota is about that aswell(Schools and population). 4 are DI(FCS).

ND has about 673,000 people and has I think 13 post-secondary schools (public and private). SD has 814,000 people and has somewhat less schools.

1,487,000 people in the Dakotas, and we have 4 FCS DI schools, all with similar-sounding names. And as much as UND fans will try to convince you otherwise, all 4 schools (Dakota 4) are roughly in the same boat as far as academics, finances, alumni support (less so USD), name recognition, etc. The varying factors seem to be athletics and research (NDSU takes the lead in those 2 categories)

T-Dog
April 6th, 2011, 08:06 PM
You might be an FCS fan if ....

...you're not use to TV timeouts and they drive you nuts when they do happen.

...the other lane of traffic is far more busy with fans going to the local FBS game.

...you smile when your team gets on page four of the local sports section.

GaSouthern
April 7th, 2011, 01:01 PM
You always win the game at the office where you say a school and they must answer by saying the mascot for that school.

Presby is my favorite.

I-16Bandit
April 8th, 2011, 03:15 AM
...you smile when your team gets on page four of the local sports section.

Shoot. When Georgia Southern made their recent run in the playoffs this past season (and ever a little after), for about 3 or 4 months straight, they were the main picture and story on the front page of the sports section for the Macon Telegraph. Needless to say, I saved every last article. :D

Tribe4SF
April 8th, 2011, 08:29 AM
you know that a real military school rivalry has to be between two schools whose Cadets whipped the US Army on the battlefield.

Jeez, dog, have you still not finished the book?

If we refight the war, I'm leaving the Citadel cadets out and drafting the VMI cheerleaders.

DJKyR0
April 8th, 2011, 11:48 AM
...If beating a school in the Sun Belt is your biggest win of the year.

Walkon79
April 8th, 2011, 11:50 AM
Shoot. When Georgia Southern made their recent run in the playoffs this past season (and ever a little after), for about 3 or 4 months straight, they were the main picture and story on the front page of the sports section for the Macon Telegraph. Needless to say, I saved every last article. :D

MSU and UM ARE the story in every major paper in Montana in the fall. That's one of the things I like about living here :)

dsmil1
April 8th, 2011, 11:56 AM
...If I'd rather turn the TV to two Top 10 CAA teams playing rather than two Top 10 SEC teams

Twentysix
April 8th, 2011, 01:27 PM
ND has about 673,000 people and has I think 13 post-secondary schools (public and private). SD has 814,000 people and has somewhat less schools.

1,487,000 people in the Dakotas, and we have 4 FCS DI schools, all with similar-sounding names. And as much as UND fans will try to convince you otherwise, all 4 schools (Dakota 4) are roughly in the same boat as far as academics, finances, alumni support (less so USD), name recognition, etc. The varying factors seem to be athletics and research (NDSU takes the lead in those 2 categories)

I count 19. Weird.

1. Bismarck State College Bismarck, North Dakota www.bismarckstate.edu
2. Cankdeska Cikana Community College Fort Totten, North Dakota (formerly Little Hoop Community College) www.littlehoop.edu
3. Dickinson State University Dickinson, North Dakota www.dickinsonstate.edu
4. Fort Berthold Community College New Town, North Dakota
5. Jamestown College Jamestown, North Dakota www.jc.edu
6. Lake Region State College Devils Lake, North Dakota www.lrsc.edu
7. Mayville State University Mayville, North Dakota www.masu.nodak.edu
8. Minot State University Minot, North Dakota www.minotstateu.edu
9. Minot State University - Bottineau Campus Bottineau, North Dakota
10. North Dakota State College of Science Wahpeton, North Dakota www.ndscs.nodak.edu
11. North Dakota State University - Main Campus Fargo, ND www.ndsu.edu
12. Sitting Bull CollegeFort Yates, North Dakota www.sittingbull.edu
13. Trinity Bible College Ellendale, North Dakota www.trinitybiblecollege.edu
14. Turtle Mountain Community College Belcourt, North Dakota www.tm.edu
15. United Tribes Technical College Bismarck, North Dakota www.uttc.edu
16. University of Mary Bismarck, North Dakota www.umary.edu
17. University of North Dakota Grand Forks, ND www.und.edu
18. Valley City State University Valley City, North Dakota www.vcsu.edu
19. Williston State College Williston, North Dakota www.wsc.nodak.edu

And if Indian/Native American colleges dont count than neither do HBCU's.

Aho_Old_Guy
April 9th, 2011, 06:58 AM
You get tired of UNCC's five fans talking about how wonderful they are going to be in football; yet have only sold about 3300 PSL's of the 5,000 that the school said they had to sell within six months, 3 years later ...

That's just crazy talk.

UNCC has 15 fans.

And you might be an FCS fan (or a tuition-paying parent) when you know that UNCC is charging an additional $120 this year to their 25k students (total $3mil) that will rise $50/year through 2014 (to $320, or a total $8mil/yr).

bincitysioux
April 9th, 2011, 10:04 AM
............if you have MPLSbison and/or JBB on "ignore"

49RFootballNow
April 9th, 2011, 01:38 PM
You might be an FCS football fan if you hear App fans whining about UNC Charlotte raising their athletic fees despite the fact that App does the exact same thing to fund their football program.

Here's your cheese:

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-zHj_fT5Szik/TZeUjbENABI/AAAAAAAAAz0/mgJ7oWeMobs/s1600/Wine%252520Cheese%252520Grapes.jpg

bjtheflamesfan
April 9th, 2011, 04:52 PM
alright 49r (and Thompson) this is supposed to be in fun...if you want to talk smack about each other's schools there is a place for that...keep it up and Im flagging both of you

49RFootballNow
April 9th, 2011, 05:49 PM
alright 49r (and Thompson) this is supposed to be in fun...if you want to talk smack about each other's schools there is a place for that...keep it up and Im flagging both of you

Who's not having fun?

BlackNGoldR3v0lut10n
April 9th, 2011, 05:50 PM

From what I heard, ETSU canned football because their soon-to-be retiring president wanted to turn it into a top-flight medical school (pharmacy school, dental school) at the expense of athletics. Personally, I hope ETSU gets a leader who will allows its athletics program to grow by leaps and bounds instead of languishing in the A-Sun.

phoenixphanatic21
April 9th, 2011, 08:50 PM
...if you have spent time at a game at a FBS school explaining how the FCS is still "real" football, a step above D-II and D-III and that the three are not the same.

...if you spend more of your Saturdays in the fall watching your computer for FCS score updates or games than you do any of the FBS games on TV.

...AGS is among your top 3 most visited websites.

...citdog. Enough said.

Tribal
April 9th, 2011, 10:31 PM
...if you have spent time at a game at a FBS school explaining how the FCS is still "real" football, a step above D-II and D-III and that the three are not the same.

...if you spend more of your Saturdays in the fall watching your computer for FCS score updates or games than you do any of the FBS games on TV.

Excellent. If you haven't done both of these, you're not a FCS fan. Period.

darell1976
April 10th, 2011, 01:53 PM
............if you have MPLSbison and/or JBB, and Lakesbison on "ignore"

Fixed it for you.