PDA

View Full Version : Paul Stanton to Retire as ETSU President.

BlackNGoldR3v0lut10n
March 30th, 2011, 09:08 PM
http://www2.tricities.com/news/2011/mar/30/stanton-retire-etsu-president-ar-938091/

This is the person who ended the football program at ETSU. I just pray that whoever ETSU names as its next leader will consider rebooting their football franchise.

gophoenix
March 30th, 2011, 10:50 PM
Why do you care either way, you won't be in this division anymore.

BlackNGoldR3v0lut10n
March 31st, 2011, 11:21 AM
Why do you care either way, you won't be in this division anymore.

This is the part where I take off my Appalachian State cap to put on my ETSU cap *blows dust off ETSU cap*.

Before I went at ASU, I attended school at ETSU. I majored in computer science with a minor in journalism (the idea being to become an online journalist, the minor was abandoned). I graduated from ETSU in December 2000 with a bachelor's of science degree in computer science. A few months later and a graduate assistantship offer by ASU, I attended ASU as a computer science graduate student. I was there for a couple of years before dropping out of the program to pursue job opportunities (grades were decent but not decent enough for me to remain at ASU). It was near the end of my time at ASU when ETSU made the decision to can their football program. I was reading and listening to what Dr. Stanton had to say and was led to investigate. I found that his claims that ETSU was losing money was false in that the university was receiving money from football players not on a FB scholarship and that the university (being a state school) was receiving money from the state for full-time students who attend school there. I submitted my findings to Dr. Stanton and Dave Mullins (athletics director) as well as the adviser to the East Tennessean (who I had in one of my classes there). Mullins, in all of his infinite wisdom, responded back saying to me how full of crap I was. He invited me to join the Pirate Club (which I was prepared to do but that was before Mullins demagogued my findings). It was the decision by ETSU to end their football program to cause me to pledge my allegiance (FCS football, that is) to Appalachian State. It was about a year or so later when I happened across an article in the East Tennessean that insinuated that UTC was likely to drop the sport (given the current state of UTC football, it appears that the student writers at the ET did not know what they are talking about).

gophoenix
March 31st, 2011, 02:47 PM
This is the part where I take off my Appalachian State cap to put on my ETSU cap *blows dust off ETSU cap*.

Before I went at ASU, I attended school at ETSU. I majored in computer science with a minor in journalism (the idea being to become an online journalist, the minor was abandoned). I graduated from ETSU in December 2000 with a bachelor's of science degree in computer science. A few months later and a graduate assistantship offer by ASU, I attended ASU as a computer science graduate student. I was there for a couple of years before dropping out of the program to pursue job opportunities (grades were decent but not decent enough for me to remain at ASU). It was near the end of my time at ASU when ETSU made the decision to can their football program. I was reading and listening to what Dr. Stanton had to say and was led to investigate. I found that his claims that ETSU was losing money was false in that the university was receiving money from football players not on a FB scholarship and that the university (being a state school) was receiving money from the state for full-time students who attend school there. I submitted my findings to Dr. Stanton and Dave Mullins (athletics director) as well as the adviser to the East Tennessean (who I had in one of my classes there). Mullins, in all of his infinite wisdom, responded back saying to me how full of crap I was. He invited me to join the Pirate Club (which I was prepared to do but that was before Mullins demagogued my findings). It was the decision by ETSU to end their football program to cause me to pledge my allegiance (FCS football, that is) to Appalachian State. It was about a year or so later when I happened across an article in the East Tennessean that insinuated that UTC was likely to drop the sport (given the current state of UTC football, it appears that the student writers at the ET did not know what they are talking about).

Well, that makes sense.... honestly I didn't expect a response.

So, ETSU being your alma mater. If ETSU brought football back, which I could see them doing at more of a Morehead State level if they do, then who would you pull for if they played App?

BlackNGoldR3v0lut10n
March 31st, 2011, 09:41 PM
Well, that makes sense.... honestly I didn't expect a response.

So, ETSU being your alma mater. If ETSU brought football back, which I could see them doing at more of a Morehead State level if they do, then who would you pull for if they played App?

My plan would envision ETSU bringing football back on a non-scholarship basis (the same level as Morehead St. and the current and future schools of the Pioneer League). It would be nice to see ETSU play ASU again (preferably on even terms-same number of scholarships, not likely). It would be very hard to pull for either team if both stepped on the gridiron against each other. In this instance, I would likely remain neutral.

BlackNGoldR3v0lut10n
March 31st, 2011, 09:57 PM
And, on another tangent. Check out this gem from the ET

http://www.easttennessean.com/news/students-debate-football-s-return-1.2060600