PDA

View Full Version : Big Sky is "the nation's strongest I-AA conference"?

colgate13
March 2nd, 2006, 02:44 PM
I know schools like to hype themselves as much as possible, but where did this statement get pulled from?

New Mexico Announces 2006 Football Schedule (http://golobos.collegesports.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/030106aaa.html)

New Mexico plays Portland State this year, and here's what the New Mexico Sports Information Department had to say about them:

It's the first meeting between New Mexico and Portland State, which competes in NCAA Div. I-AA. Playing perhaps its toughest schedule in school history in 2005, PSU finished the season with a 6-5 record, 4-3 in the Big Sky Conference. It was the Vikings' sixth winning season in the past seven years.

With two I-A opponents (Oregon State and Boise State) and competing in the nation's strongest I-AA conference, Portland State's strength of schedule in 2005 was confirmed by The Sports Network. TSN rated PSU's overall schedule as the third-toughest in the nation.

Uh, what? Excuse me? Any of my A-10 or Gateway or Southern conference friends care to chime in?

The Big Sky has been rated in the GPI:

2005: 3rd
2004: 4th
2003: 1st

If they're going by 2003, that's pretty weak considering the Big Sky's performance in the playoffs that year. The only thing that I would have liked to see would be "one of the" put right before the word 'nations'. Then I'd have no problem with it...

OL FU
March 2nd, 2006, 02:51 PM
Looks to me like New Mexico is just posturing. Now if one of our educated posters would have made that comment: smash : : smash :

catbob
March 2nd, 2006, 03:04 PM
Accept thy fate as second rate...

Hey that rhymed.

dbackjon
March 2nd, 2006, 03:18 PM
They are trying to sell the game as a good one, making them look as good as possible. If they were playing SHSU, they would say the same about the Southland, etc.

MYTAPPY
March 2nd, 2006, 03:26 PM
I kind of agree with dback, but we all know that the SoCon is the toughest.

:D

colgate13
March 2nd, 2006, 03:27 PM
They are trying to sell the game as a good one, making them look as good as possible. If they were playing SHSU, they would say the same about the Southland, etc.

I know, hence the opening statement of my post...

I'm just curious whose out there selling the Big Sky as the strongest to them, or if they just pulled it out of thin air.

Cap'n Cat
March 2nd, 2006, 03:31 PM

I'm just curious whose out there selling the Big Sky as the strongest to them, or if they just pulled it out of thin air.

Thin air.

griz&beer
March 2nd, 2006, 04:17 PM
I kind of agree with dback, but we all know that the SoCon is the toughest.

:D

The SOCON is not the toughest. I would say mabey number three . I would go/ A 10,/ Bigsky/ Missouri Vall/ then SoCon.

OL FU
March 2nd, 2006, 04:21 PM
The SOCON is not the toughest. I would say mabey number three . I would go/ A 10,/ Bigsky/ Missouri Vall/ then SoCon.

Missouri Valley, :confused:

Your Vote no longer counts:D

grizband
March 2nd, 2006, 04:22 PM
Missouri Valley, :confused:

Your Vote no longer counts:D
:lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

dbackjon
March 2nd, 2006, 04:24 PM

Well, it is...

OL FU
March 2nd, 2006, 04:25 PM
Well, it is...

It is what?:)

Cap'n Cat
March 2nd, 2006, 04:28 PM

Missouri Valley
SoCon
A-10

I'm a homer.

Proud Griz Man
March 2nd, 2006, 05:39 PM
I am surprised that any of you find this controversial! I thought everyone knew that the BSC was the best I-AA conference, largely because of the Montana Grizzlies aka America's favorite I-AA team.

xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx :D :D :D :D :D :D
;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) :p :p :p :p :p

Tod
March 2nd, 2006, 05:44 PM
If any PSU (I-AA) fans are going to be at this game, it's about 15 min. from my house. I'll be there, rooting on the Vikings. I'll try to get/post some good pics.

blukeys
March 2nd, 2006, 05:55 PM
I know schools like to hype themselves as much as possible, but where did this statement get pulled from?

New Mexico Announces 2006 Football Schedule (http://golobos.collegesports.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/030106aaa.html)

New Mexico plays Portland State this year, and here's what the New Mexico Sports Information Department had to say about them:

Uh, what? Excuse me? Any of my A-10 or Gateway or Southern conference friends care to chime in?

The Big Sky has been rated in the GPI:

2005: 3rd
2004: 4th
2003: 1st

If they're going by 2003, that's pretty weak considering the Big Sky's performance in the playoffs that year. The only thing that I would have liked to see would be "one of the" put right before the word 'nations'. Then I'd have no problem with it...

2003 was a bad year for the Big Sky and the GPI but Montana did get a home playoff game and the Conference autobid got a road trip.

:rolleyes:

Seriously, How many times has it been documented that sportswriters are clueless about I-AA?

SochorField
March 2nd, 2006, 06:11 PM
Don't forget the Great West:

Cal Poly
UC Davis
North Dakota State
South Dakota State
Southern Utah

Last year I think it was ranked 5th....and its inaugural year 2nd. This year with the preseason rankings of UC Davis, Cal Poly and North Dakota State, a South Dakota State team that will suprise, and Southern Utah with no place to go but up (with their I-A QB transfer), look for the Big West to return to the top three this year.

Oh...and we need one more team....

igo4uni
March 2nd, 2006, 09:31 PM
They play some tough football in the Missouri Valley. Especially Creighton and Wichita State.

:)

griz&beer
March 2nd, 2006, 11:21 PM
Ok I got the wrong one. So what con. is UNI in.

catamount man
March 3rd, 2006, 06:11 AM
It's called the Gateway Conference and while the SoCon may not be the best in I-AA anymore, we are still the most competitive in my opion. 6 out of 8 teams in 2005 had winning records, the lone exceptions being Elon and The Citadel. That is some damn good parity right there!

GO CATAMOUNTS!!!

tarmac
March 3rd, 2006, 06:38 AM
Don't forget the SOCON produced the National Champions in 2005.

NorthDakotaBison
March 3rd, 2006, 12:26 PM
Don't forget the Great West:

Cal Poly
UC Davis
North Dakota State
South Dakota State
Southern Utah

Last year I think it was ranked 5th....and its inaugural year 2nd. This year with the preseason rankings of UC Davis, Cal Poly and North Dakota State, a South Dakota State team that will suprise, and Southern Utah with no place to go but up (with their I-A QB transfer), look for the Big West to return to the top three this year.

Oh...and we need one more team....

Now that we have parted ways with UNC, we should definitely be in the top three.

NoCoDanny
March 3rd, 2006, 01:22 PM
Now that we have parted ways with UNC, we should definitely be in the top three.

Glad you're happy, it worked out great for us too!

ASU Kep
March 3rd, 2006, 01:37 PM
A-10's the only league even with an argument as being anywhere near equal to the SOCON, and thats only because of some of our "depth" problems (Elon, El Cid). In almost any given year, the third best team in the SOCON would at least be in contention for a conference title in almost any other conference.

OL FU
March 3rd, 2006, 01:43 PM
A-10's the only league even with an argument as being anywhere near equal to the SOCON, and thats only because of some of our "depth" problems (Elon, El Cid). In almost any given year, the third best team in the SOCON would at least be in contention for a conference title in almost any other conference.

And they have 25 teams:p

Come 89, drop on in for a sec

colgate13
March 3rd, 2006, 02:04 PM
Come 89, drop on in for a sec

I know! Isn't this whole thread just primed for a dose of the old Hen? I hope he's doing well... :)

TxState_GO_CATS!
March 3rd, 2006, 03:25 PM
I don't understand why the Southland Conference doesn't get more national respect. We're the only conference with back-to-back semifinalists, all the teams (maybe save SFA; but then again, they did defeat co-champion Nicholls State last year) are good year in and year out, and we have an overall winning OOC record vs. other I-AAs.

0-3 vs. Big Sky (my choice for the co-#1 best overall conference on this list)
1-1 vs. Gateway (my #3 " )
5-3 vs. Great West (my #4 ")
2-1 vs. Southern Conference (my co-#1 ")
2-0 vs. SWAC (my #5 ")

I personally don't see the Southland Confernce as any worse than third on this list (above the gateway). I've seen us as low as TENTH on some lists (??). Can someone explain this to me?

colgate13
March 3rd, 2006, 03:34 PM
I personally don't see the Southland Confernce as any worse than third on this list (above the gateway). I've seen us as low as TENTH on some lists (??). Can someone explain this to me?

I think it's because you're missing the 'big dog'. 3 NC runner ups and no championship.

A-10 has 3
Big Sky has 4
Gateway (current schools anyway) has 6
OVC has 2
SoCon (again, current members) has 8

I can't explain the 10, but I think that explains the placement behind A-10, Big Sky, Gateway and SoCon...

Tod
March 3rd, 2006, 08:39 PM
I don't understand why the Southland Conference doesn't get more national respect. We're the only conference with back-to-back semifinalists, all the teams (maybe save SFA; but then again, they did defeat co-champion Nicholls State last year) are good year in and year out, and we have an overall winning OOC record vs. other I-AAs.

2-0 vs. SWAC (my #5 ")

I agree that the Southland is not getting the respect it deserves, but the SWAC over the Patriot? Or the Ivy?

TxState_GO_CATS!
March 4th, 2006, 04:36 AM
I agree that the Southland is not getting the respect it deserves, but the SWAC over the Patriot? Or the Ivy?

oh no no no! lol, i wasn't trying to imply that. i was saying that from the list of conferences that the SLC schools played last year, the SWAC was the "least strongest" of the five. The Patriot and Ivy (and other conferences) are, IMO, still stronger than the SWAC.

89Hen
March 5th, 2006, 07:29 AM
I know! Isn't this whole thread just primed for a dose of the old Hen? I hope he's doing well... :)

I'm fine, thanks for asking. We all know the number one conference in I-AA is the Ivy. No further arguement needed. xcoffeex

March 5th, 2006, 08:11 PM
I'm fine, thanks for asking. We all know the number one conference in I-AA is the Ivy. No further arguement needed. xcoffeexYou asked for it,
you got it,
the Ivy! :read:

Tod
March 5th, 2006, 08:39 PM
You asked for it,
you got it,
the Ivy! :read:

I wonder what percentage of AGSers will understand that one? :) :( :bawling:

Delaware Ghostrider II
March 5th, 2006, 08:50 PM
To quote tarmac...."Don't forget the SOCON produced the National Champions in 2005.".....Well there....there ya have it...oh I forgot...didn't the A10 bring home the championship 2 years back to back??? UD and JMU......just checkin

March 5th, 2006, 08:57 PM
To quote tarmac...."Don't forget the SOCON produced the National Champions in 2005.".....Well there....there ya have it...oh I forgot...didn't the A10 bring home the championship 2 years back to back??? UD and JMU......just checkinDo you really want to argue playoff champs and records with the SoCon? As an outsider I don't think anyone can compare to the current members of the SoCon. Toss in the past members and ... xcoffeex

SoCon Din
March 6th, 2006, 10:18 AM
Yeah, Marshall won 1, 2, 3, 4....! Wait, ...

I can't stand Marshall. F'get them. :D

Bison77
March 6th, 2006, 11:00 AM
Glad you're happy, it worked out great for us too!

Now you can work your magic in the BSC. :hurray:

OL FU
March 6th, 2006, 01:08 PM
Yeah, Marshall won 1, 2, 3, 4....! Wait, ...

I can't stand Marshall. F'get them. :D

The SoCon members have unanimously voted to award the Marshall Championships to the Big Sky:eyebrow:

On second thought, we should get something for having to put up with the SOBs

ncbears
March 6th, 2006, 03:29 PM
Now you can work your magic in the BSC. :hurray:

and we will. :nod: :nod: :nod:

McNeese75
March 6th, 2006, 04:42 PM

2-0 vs. SWAC (my #5 ")

That's an easy one!

EAST COAST BIAS :D

Cap'n Cat
March 6th, 2006, 05:26 PM
I'm fine, thanks for asking. We all know the number one conference in I-AA is the Ivy. No further arguement needed. xcoffeex

Agreed.

:nod:

Tod
March 6th, 2006, 08:42 PM
Do you really want to argue playoff champs and records with the SoCon? As an outsider I don't think anyone can compare to the current members of the SoCon. Toss in the past members and ... xcoffeex

I agree with you, Ralph, but is it really fair to count the four* NCs won by GSU before they were a member? I don't think so. Marshall was a member when they won their two, so obviously those count. By my count the SoCon has six and the 'Sky has five NCs. Still better, but let's be fair about it.

*Geez, I hope I have that number right...:D

AZGrizFan
March 6th, 2006, 10:04 PM

Heeerreeee's your sign....xidiotx xidiotx :D :D

SoCon Din
March 6th, 2006, 10:56 PM
Tod, as stated earlier, we'll pay to have Marshall's championships removed from SoCon History. I'm with you on that one.

You wanna get Furman fans fired up, think GSU rivalry. on steroids. times 20. we're just gettin' warmed up.

Tod
March 6th, 2006, 11:31 PM
Tod, as stated earlier, we'll pay to have Marshall's championships removed from SoCon History. I'm with you on that one.

You wanna get Furman fans fired up, think GSU rivalry. on steroids. times 20. we're just gettin' warmed up.

I have all the respect in the world for the SoCon. Furman, ASU and GSU have all been top ten teams for a long time, always tough as nails, and with a pretty good list of other teams as well. Even if one of the big three have a bad year, you can count on a Wofford or WCU to pick up the slack.

Perhaps the SoCon is the best conference, I'm not in any way arguing that the Big Sky is better. I'm just saying that to give the SoCon the NC, it has to be a team that won the game while they were a member.

If YSU joined the Big Sky next year, would we get credit for their four NCs? I don't think so.

March 6th, 2006, 11:36 PM
... I'm just saying that to give the SoCon the NC, it has to be a team that won the game while they were a member...Who is arguing?

More than 40 Conference playoff wins:
Conf, W, L, Titles, Pct.
SOCON 76 46 6 62.30
BSC 56 48 5 53.85
SLC 42 42 1 50.00
A10 43 51 3 45.74

Tod
March 6th, 2006, 11:42 PM
Who is arguing?

I am. :confused:

March 7th, 2006, 12:04 AM
BTW, those are numbers for teams when they were in their Conference. Independents have the most titles, 8, with a 64-45 record, 58.72 pct.

Tod
March 7th, 2006, 01:01 AM
BTW, those are numbers for teams when they were in their Conference. Independents have the most titles, 8, with a 64-45 record, 58.72 pct.

Ralph, good as they are, I didn't think the Southland ever won an NC. Who won it?

March 7th, 2006, 02:09 AM
Ralph, good as they are, I didn't think the Southland ever won an NC. Who won it?I should have quoted my source, the 2005 GFC media guide. I'm guessing NE Louisiana in '87.

SoCon Din
March 7th, 2006, 10:08 AM
Meant to convey that I agreed with you, while also attempting a futile dig at the worst university on the planet, in Paladins' minds - the "university" that is Marshall. I wouldn't mind if they were never mentioned as a part of the SoCon. :D

Tod
March 7th, 2006, 11:25 PM
I should have quoted my source, the 2005 GFC media guide. I'm guessing NE Louisiana in '87.

No need to guess if you know. :confused:

Thanks for the info. I guess the post I had read earlier must have been talking about current Southland teams.