PDA

View Full Version : What's Included in "Football Expenses?"

carney2
March 2nd, 2006, 11:58 AM
A recent post listed Montana's football expenditures at something in excess of $4 million, and a post by Colgate13 a month or so ago detailed the 2004-2005 football expenditures for all Patriot League schools. My question is: What exactly is included in these numbers?

It is obvious, I guess, that it includes coaches' salaries and benefits, the salaries and benefits of football office staff, coaches' expenses for travel and recruiting, football travel, uniforms, pads and supplies, insurance, office supplies, brochure printing and media presentation (recruiting) costs, field preparation, and the like. What else does it include?

Does it, for instance include the institution's "cost" of a scholarship or equivalent? If so, the number becomes highly questionable and, probably, not comparable from school to school. Does it include the cost of bringing recruits to campus for a visit? Indeed, is this recruiting expenditure even allowed for a I-AA school?

Is there a uniform method of reporting these figures or can each school do pretty much as their needs dictate in releasing this information? (Some may see a relatively large figure as some kind of positive statement to recruits, while others might view it as revealing too much information to the competition - or to the faculty.)

One additional thing - please respond if you are truly informed. Opinions, as they say, are like noses....

dirtbag
March 2nd, 2006, 03:13 PM
Any accounting number you see can be misleading, but especially coming from college athletic departments. The "cost" of scholarships is included, but how stuff like facilities expenses are accounted for varies from school to school. If a school builds a new football stadium, it may charge the expenses to the football account, the athletics account, or a university facilities account, so comparing actual revenues and expenses accross schools can be misleading.