PDA

View Full Version : Jackson State - 51 new names on ShowingBlitz.com?

rfeng
March 2nd, 2006, 08:40 AM
Has anyone noticed that Jackson State has 51 names on ShowingBlitz.com?

Link:
http://www.showingblitz.com/2006official.html

Have they started a new football program?

Kind of suprising since most AA colleges sign 10-25 freshmen/transfers every year.

colgate13
March 2nd, 2006, 08:57 AM
Talked about already here (http://www.anygivensaturday.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7527&highlight=signee).

March 2nd, 2006, 09:01 AM
http://iaawaves.libsyn.com/ 2/7 & 2/14 shows

Please post here if you signed with Jackson State
http://www.anygivensaturday.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7560

Jackson State loads up with 53 signees
http://anygivensaturday.com/ralphblog/article.php?story=20060202154857972

Then they had a walkon tryout and supposedly totaled about 80 new players when they started camp a while back!

Mr. Tiger
March 2nd, 2006, 09:17 AM
For three years Jackson State had the WORST COACH IN DIVISION I-AA HISTORY and recruiting suffered. Last season's team lacked talent and speed and with a new coach, good high school, prep school, and junior college players put Jackson State on their list. So our new coach decided to sign as many players as he could and now everyone will have to fight for a scholarship. Many in that 51 are pretty good so some current players will lose their scholarships.

rfeng
March 2nd, 2006, 09:23 AM
Thanks for the information. I wasn't reading the board then. I wish them well.

Too bad for the kids. Hard to believe more than 40 players either graduated, left the team, or were cut. Like one of the articles said, football, even at our AA level is now big business.

nlwwln
March 2nd, 2006, 01:38 PM
how many of those players are even worth a d&*n, I mean why not go out and find those 25 - 30 kids who you think can really help your program. I wonder if the coach put up flyers around jackson and said come try out for the football team? seems like alot of dead weight to me that could possibly make it harder to devote more time to the better players. Im sure he will widdle it down to the ones he likes

SUjagTILLiDIE
March 2nd, 2006, 02:06 PM
how many of those players are even worth a d&*n, I mean why not go out and find those 25 - 30 kids who you think can really help your program. I wonder if the coach put up flyers around jackson and said come try out for the football team? seems like alot of dead weight to me that could possibly make it harder to devote more time to the better players. Im sure he will widdle it down to the ones he likes
Please do research before you speak. They beat our a couple of D-1 schools out for some of their players. 1 kid signed with Jackson St. over Steve Spurrier and South Carolina.

youwouldno
March 2nd, 2006, 02:41 PM
His argument was all 51 can't be good. He said focus on the more talented ones.

So, read before you criticize.

TexasTerror
March 2nd, 2006, 05:29 PM
Please do research before you speak. They beat our a couple of D-1 schools out for some of their players. 1 kid signed with Jackson St. over Steve Spurrier and South Carolina.

Some of those kids were not eligible and may possibly not even see the field as is typical by these huge signing classes, right?

Hey, who knows, they may become eligible and Jackson St can benefit, but they may not and just be another one of "those names" on the signing lists that never play Div I football...

Catmendue2
March 2nd, 2006, 06:10 PM
Some of those kids were not eligible and may possibly not even see the field as is typical by these huge signing classes, right?

Hey, who knows, they may become eligible and Jackson St can benefit, but they may not and just be another one of "those names" on the signing lists that never play Div I football...

Why does it bother you, if JSU signs 151, its their business.

March 2nd, 2006, 06:15 PM
Why does it bother you, if JSU signs 151, its their business.Check out this logic:
I-AA gets discussed here.
JSU is I-AA.
JSU gets discussed here.

Mr. Tiger
March 3rd, 2006, 08:43 AM

Obviously, you are not familar with our program. Among the 51 is a national junior college player of the year, a kid who turned down South Carolina to go to Jackson State, Ole Miss' former starting running back, and a former high school Parade All-American who is a transfer from Tennessee. And many other good recruits in what has been named one of the best Division I-AA recruiting classes in the nation by the Sports Network because of its quality. Jackson State doesn't need to put up flyers anywhere, it is truly one best places to land good recruiters. Believe me when I say there will be little dead weight in the bunch. There will be some kids who will be cut because of academics but our new coaches biggest problem will be not cutting a kid who could have a solid career somewhere else.

bandl
March 3rd, 2006, 09:01 AM
I'm sure this will all work out for Jackson State in the end. IMO, there's nothing wrong with bringing in this many recruits. It's been beaten into my brain by the JSU faithful that JSU used to have the worst coach in football history (LOL), so I'm sure the current coaching staff will widdle these recruits down and pick the best to play each position. The players that have no business being there, or on any respectable I-AA roster, won't play when it matters...simple as that.

Ronbo
March 3rd, 2006, 09:59 AM
Looks like tryouts to me. Bring in every player you can and keep the 20 best.

mikebigg
March 4th, 2006, 07:14 AM
Rick Comegys has a reputation as a good coach who knows and gets good talent. He has a background at Central State (HBCU) that played as an NAIA power prior to his becoming coach at Tuskegee (DII) and turning them into a very good team with transfers, walkons and partial scholarships.

Now he is at Jackson State where the resources (in comparison to his previous too jobs) in talent and recruiting base is simply awesome. Mississippi is loaded with talent and Jackson State has traditionally (prior to Bell) done very well in getting local talent to enroll at Jackson State. Now that Comegy's is there, that will expand into Memphis, Georgia, Alabama, and Louisiana.

He did the right thing is signing these 50 plus players and having the walkon tryouts. He will win with what was left by Bell (who's problem wasn't as much talent as lack of coaching) plus some of the new kids he has brought in..but I expect him to redshirt most of these kids to stockpile and build for the future. Doug used a similar approach when he came to Grambling...he cut more than 25 players and brought in new guys. Each year we sign 30-45 players...there are not guaranteed roster spots anymore!:bow:

jstate83
March 4th, 2006, 02:45 PM

Man please.........................These kids always want to come here. They just was not comming here under Bell.

EX: The coach for the #1 highschool football team in the STATE and Region......USATODAY #7 ranked SOUTH PANOLA ..........said he had not seen 1 dang recruiter from Jackson State in since 2002.............THE YEAR BELL TOOK OVER. Comegy has changed that.

Bell was a disaster.
There are over 30 large classification schools in the Jackson Area.
We are right in the middle of the Capitol City and the closest MAJOR college to us is USM over 100+ miles to the south. These kids get a taste of the school, crowds, and JSU flavor every Friday and Saturday night. They grow up on it.

Recruiting is never a problem if you don't have a clown at the helm.

jstate83
March 5th, 2006, 02:09 PM
Jimmy Oliver--QB/Carlos Simpson--RB--Cincinnati Transfer (http://www.clarionledger.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060305/SPORTS030101/603050338/1073)

Jaymar Johnson--WR/Jamal Pittman--RB--Ole Miss Transfer (http://www.clarionledger.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060305/SPORTS030101/603050348/1073)

SU Jag
March 5th, 2006, 05:50 PM
Man please.........................These kids always want to come here. They just was not comming here under Bell.

EX: The coach for the #1 highschool football team in the STATE and Region......USATODAY #7 ranked SOUTH PANOLA ..........said he had not seen 1 dang recruiter from Jackson State in since 2002.............THE YEAR BELL TOOK OVER. Comegy has changed that.

Bell was a disaster.
There are over 30 large classification schools in the Jackson Area.
We are right in the middle of the Capitol City and the closest MAJOR college to us is USM over 100+ miles to the south. These kids get a taste of the school, crowds, and JSU flavor every Friday and Saturday night. They grow up on it.

Recruiting is never a problem if you don't have a clown at the helm.

True! Rumor has it that two or three players from UAB are headed down to JSU this summer! It was eating up the local talk radio station last Tuesday.