PDA

View Full Version : Nova releases 2011 Football Schedule

VUCats02
March 23rd, 2011, 04:25 PM
Now that my cats are out of the big dance early again, time to look forward to football. Today Nova announced their 2011 schedule :

Sept. 1 - Temple (Philadelphia, Pa.)
Sept. 10 - Towson (Towson, Md.)
Sept. 17 - Monmouth (Villanova, Pa.)
Sept. 24 - Penn (Philadelphia, Pa.)
Oct. 1 - William & Mary (Villanova, Pa.)
Oct. 8 - New Hampshire (Durham, N.H.)
Oct. 15 - James Madison (Harrisonburg, Va.)
Oct. 22 - Old Dominion (Villanova, Pa.)
Oct. 29 - Maine (Villanova, Pa.)
Nov. 5 - Massachusetts (Amherst, Mass)
Nov. 19 - Delaware (Villanova, Pa.)

Interesting note - Nova gets a bye before rival game versus Delaware.

My expectations for the team this year - It's hard to say as there will be tons and tons of youth and new faces. The freshmen class is very highly ranked, so we'll see how it goes. My guess is Nova loses to Penn and gets clobbered by Temple - and then goes 5-3 in the CAA. That would put Nova at 6-5 and miss the playoffs in a rebuilding year. In my opinion, the upenn game will virtually be a very early playoff game for Nova - just my prediction.

GannonFan
March 23rd, 2011, 04:37 PM
Now that my cats are out of the big dance early again, time to look forward to football. Today Nova announced their 2011 schedule :

Sept. 1 - Temple (Philadelphia, Pa.)
Sept. 10 - Towson (Towson, Md.)
Sept. 17 - Monmouth (Villanova, Pa.)
Sept. 24 - Penn (Philadelphia, Pa.)
Oct. 1 - William & Mary (Villanova, Pa.)
Oct. 8 - New Hampshire (Durham, N.H.)
Oct. 15 - James Madison (Harrisonburg, Va.)
Oct. 22 - Old Dominion (Villanova, Pa.)
Oct. 29 - Maine (Villanova, Pa.)
Nov. 5 - Massachusetts (Amherst, Mass)
Nov. 19 - Delaware (Villanova, Pa.)

Interesting note - Nova gets a bye before rival game versus Delaware.

My expectations for the team this year - It's hard to say as there will be tons and tons of youth and new faces. The freshmen class is very highly ranked, so we'll see how it goes. My guess is Nova loses to Penn and gets clobbered by Temple - and then goes 5-3 in the CAA. That would put Nova at 7-4 in FCS games - and should be safe enough for a playoff birth. Making the playoffs in a "rebuilding" year would be a very big accomplishment.

If you lose to Penn and Temple and go 5-3 in the CAA that would make you 6-5 overall and 6-4 in FCS games. No one makes the FCS playoffs with only 6 wins and no autobid.

Go...gate
March 23rd, 2011, 04:44 PM
Perhaps Villanova's final year in the CAA.

jstclmet
March 23rd, 2011, 04:48 PM
If you lose to Penn and Temple and go 5-3 in the CAA that would make you 6-5 overall and 6-4 in FCS games. No one makes the FCS playoffs with only 6 wins and no autobid.

Don't worry, Nova will reach 7 - 4 at a minimum. Word out of Spring Practice is the Defense is about where it was last year. If that's true, that's saying a lot. Of course, two of the starting OL (Shirey & Chidozie) are not suited up. The defense has been getting the better of the offense, but that's probably the case for most teams this time of year.

If Nova can find a running game to match their passing game, you will definitely see a Nova in the playoffs for a 4th straight year. I'm excited about 2011, the CAA is up for grabs. Like this year's NCAA tournament, there is no clear favorite, and much like last year's CAA standings, 6 - 2 probably wins the conference.

HailSzczur
March 23rd, 2011, 05:08 PM
Monmouth makes me scratch my head xeyebrowx

UNH_Alum_In_CT
March 23rd, 2011, 05:28 PM
Monmouth makes me scratch my head xeyebrowx

At least they're D-I. Things could be worse!

DFW HOYA
March 23rd, 2011, 05:36 PM
Monmouth? So much for that DC-Philadelphia series.

VUCats02
March 23rd, 2011, 06:25 PM

I stand corrected. The UPenn game will be a HUGE game. Biggest OOC game for Nova in a long time other than Temple.

I don't understand Monmouth either but it is better than West Chester.

Saint3333
March 23rd, 2011, 07:30 PM
I feel like I'm reading the Richmond thread from 2010 and they lost all those players. Nova will likely miss the playoffs. They will see a downgrade at OL, QB, and Mr. Everything is gone as well. Defense could be fine, but I don't see them scoring as much.

VUCats02
March 23rd, 2011, 08:33 PM
I feel like I'm reading the Richmond thread from 2010 and they lost all those players. Nova will likely miss the playoffs. They will see a downgrade at OL, QB, and Mr. Everything is gone as well. Defense could be fine, but I don't see them scoring as much.

Richmond wasn't that bad last year considering they played with 4 different quarterbacks throughout the year because of injuries.

ngineer
March 23rd, 2011, 08:48 PM
I stand corrected. The UPenn game will be a HUGE game. Biggest OOC game for Nova in a long time other than Temple.

Agreed. I am sorry we could not continue the series with VU. With UNH and Liberty on our schedule this year, having 'nova, too, would have been a horribly tough OOC schedule. Hopefully, the break won't be very long. The proximity of the two schools makes for a natural rivalry.

VUCats02
March 23rd, 2011, 10:06 PM
Agreed. I am sorry we could not continue the series with VU. With UNH and Liberty on our schedule this year, having 'nova, too, would have been a horribly tough OOC schedule. Hopefully, the break won't be very long. The proximity of the two schools makes for a natural rivalry.

I'm actually very happy you couldn't continue the series as Lehigh would have a great chance of beating Nova this year.

henfan
March 24th, 2011, 07:59 AM

From the standpoint of helping VU qualify for the FCS post-season, MU is a better match than WCUPA without question. However, year to year, MU is not a better match competitively than the Golden Rams.

I'm no fan of WCUPA or FCS teams playing sub D-I opponents.

aceinthehole
March 24th, 2011, 09:52 AM
From the standpoint of helping VU qualify for the FCS post-season, MU is a better match than WCUPA without question. However, year to year, MU is not a better match competitively than the Golden Rams.

I'm no fan of WCUPA or FCS teams playing sub D-I opponents.

How do you come to that conclusion?

LeadBolt
March 24th, 2011, 09:56 AM
I'll gladly trade Monmouth for New Haven xbangx

VUCats02
March 24th, 2011, 10:27 AM
I don't really think OOC strength of schedule matters much in the CAA, and even if it does, Nova's sos is not that bad.

Sure Monmouth is a step down from Lehigh, but for the past few years, upenn has been one of the most underrated programs in fcs. Because they are an ivy league school, and can never prove themselves in the playoffs, they are just seen as an average opponent. I've been saying for a while now, penn has been a top 15 fcs program for the past couple of years and are not going away this year. Sure they have some horrible games (i.e. lafayette last year) but who honestly shows up to play their best game against lafayette other than lehigh?

We saw several CAA teams with 7-4 records comfortably make the playoffs last year. If you look at our SOS, we're playing one of the better teams of FBS in Temple, upenn, and monmouth. I think regardless of ooc sos, if a caa team wins 7 fcs/fbs games this year, they will be in.

GannonFan
March 24th, 2011, 11:15 AM

Well, the only side by side comparison we ever got there was in '07 when UD played West Chester, winning 41-14, and then two weeks later played Monmouth on the same field, and won 42-7. Seemed pretty comparable at the time. And since then Monmouth has gone on to split a series with start-up ODU, so hard to say if anything has really changed.

But, it's always preferable to play an FCS school rather than a DII school so Monmouth wins the tiebreaker.

GannonFan
March 24th, 2011, 11:17 AM
I don't really think OOC strength of schedule matters much in the CAA, and even if it does, Nova's sos is not that bad.

Sure Monmouth is a step down from Lehigh, but for the past few years, upenn has been one of the most underrated programs in fcs. Because they are an ivy league school, and can never prove themselves in the playoffs, they are just seen as an average opponent. I've been saying for a while now, penn has been a top 15 fcs program for the past couple of years and are not going away this year. Sure they have some horrible games (i.e. lafayette last year) but who honestly shows up to play their best game against lafayette other than lehigh?

We saw several CAA teams with 7-4 records comfortably make the playoffs last year. If you look at our SOS, we're playing one of the better teams of FBS in Temple, upenn, and monmouth. I think regardless of ooc sos, if a caa team wins 7 fcs/fbs games this year, they will be in.

Actually, 8 FCS/FBS wins are where a CAA team is and should be comfortable getting into the playoffs. 7 puts you in a decent spot, but I would never say it's comfortable. Leaving a lot to chance just sitting at 7 and CAA teams have been burned there before.

Wildcat80
March 24th, 2011, 11:50 AM
Right after wanting UNH to advance in the FCS playoffs is my hope to beat nova for the 3rd year in a row in the regular season! That would be a nice way to send them off to the BE!!! xnodxxnodxxhurrayxxhurrayxxsmileyclapxxsmileyclapx

VUCats02
March 24th, 2011, 01:17 PM
Actually, 8 FCS/FBS wins are where a CAA team is and should be comfortable getting into the playoffs. 7 puts you in a decent spot, but I would never say it's comfortable. Leaving a lot to chance just sitting at 7 and CAA teams have been burned there before.

Since expansion of the NCAA tournament for FCS football, history shows that 7 wins for a CAA team puts you comfortably into the tournament. 7-win CAA teams haven't even had to play in the first week. I would feel VERY comfortable about making the playoffs with 7 wins (of FCS or BCS quality) until the committee proves otherwise.

VUCats02
March 24th, 2011, 01:22 PM
Right after wanting UNH to advance in the FCS playoffs is my hope to beat nova for the 3rd year in a row in the regular season! That would be a nice way to send them off to the BE!!! xnodxxnodxxhurrayxxhurrayxxsmileyclapxxsmileyclapx

I'll trade your 3 regular season wins in a row against Nova for Nova's quarterfinal shalackin on UNH any time.

GannonFan
March 24th, 2011, 03:46 PM
Since expansion of the NCAA tournament for FCS football, history shows that 7 wins for a CAA team puts you comfortably into the tournament. 7-win CAA teams haven't even had to play in the first week. I would feel VERY comfortable about making the playoffs with 7 wins (of FCS or BCS quality) until the committee proves otherwise.

"History shows"? Really? So one year of expanded playoffs is all you need to feel comfortable about getting a 7 win CAA team in? Had Richmond and UMass both won their final games and 6 CAA teams had 7 wins, would you have been comfortable then that all 6 would get in? I'm sure you just missed putting a smiley in there and didn't really mean that so I'll just assume you were being sarcastic. xlolx

WrenFGun
March 24th, 2011, 04:05 PM
I'll trade your 3 regular season wins in a row against Nova for Nova's quarterfinal shalackin on UNH any time.

+1. The one that really mattered, as usual, went to Nova.

VUCats02
March 24th, 2011, 04:08 PM
"History shows"? Really? So one year of expanded playoffs is all you need to feel comfortable about getting a 7 win CAA team in? Had Richmond and UMass both won their final games and 6 CAA teams had 7 wins, would you have been comfortable then that all 6 would get in? I'm sure you just missed putting a smiley in there and didn't really mean that so I'll just assume you were being sarcastic. xlolx

I was being sarcastic with the "history shows" part - but would still feel very, very comfortable with 7 wins :-)

GannonFan
March 24th, 2011, 04:45 PM
I was being sarcastic with the "history shows" part - but would still feel very, very comfortable with 7 wins :-)

Remember, ODU enters the league this year, so you can get back to having 5-6 teams end up with 7 wins. Not all 6 are making it. Regardless, I think it's moot - I don't see nova getting 7 wins this year. Way too much to replace.

VUCats02
March 24th, 2011, 08:58 PM
Remember, ODU enters the league this year, so you can get back to having 5-6 teams end up with 7 wins. Not all 6 are making it. Regardless, I think it's moot - I don't see nova getting 7 wins this year. Way too much to replace.

I don't see Nova getting 7 wins either. I really do think penn will get the best of us this year and it will be very very hard to go 6-2 in the league this year with all of this youth. If Nova goes 5-3 in the CAA I will be pleased - regardless of if they make they playoffs.

GannonFan
March 24th, 2011, 09:15 PM
I don't see Nova getting 7 wins either. I really do think penn will get the best of us this year and it will be very very hard to go 6-2 in the league this year with all of this youth. If Nova goes 5-3 in the CAA I will be pleased - regardless of if they make they playoffs.

There are 3 CAA wins that are almost layups on that schedule - Towson, ODU, and UMass (should be a real down year for UMass). And with Maine at home that means nova would just need one more against either W&M, UD, UNH, or JMU, or two wins there if they lose to Maine. As bad as nova will be next year, they should still be better than those bottom 3.

henfan
March 24th, 2011, 11:09 PM

I just have my lying eyes upon which to rely. Of course, I've seen WCUPA annually for many, many years... regretfully. In moments of weakness, I've even been to Farrell Stadium for a couple of games. Granted, I've only seen Monmouth play live once but have seen them on TV a few times. Not a lot of competitive differences between the two teams from what I've seen.

It's hard to judge MU's lone matchup vs. a PSAC team as evidence of anything (MU defeated Cal PA 16-15 in 2005), I'd agree.

Sorry for getting off topic, VU fans.

bluehenbillk
March 25th, 2011, 07:41 AM
There are 3 CAA wins that are almost layups on that schedule - Towson, ODU, and UMass (should be a real down year for UMass). And with Maine at home that means nova would just need one more against either W&M, UD, UNH, or JMU, or two wins there if they lose to Maine. As bad as nova will be next year, they should still be better than those bottom 3.

I wouldn't call 'Nova @ UMass a layup. I've also heard rumblings on 'Nova's board that if they do decide to move to the Big East the season finale against UD could be played at PPL in Chester.

GannonFan
March 25th, 2011, 10:55 AM
I wouldn't call 'Nova @ UMass a layup. I've also heard rumblings on 'Nova's board that if they do decide to move to the Big East the season finale against UD could be played at PPL in Chester.

Eh, UMass didn't end well last year and they have a lot to replace. You're right, they shouldn't be in the Towson category - that category really just stands on its own. But I don't see UMass as an upper half team this year. But on the road, they could give problems to a similarly young nova team.

Yeah, I heard the rumblings too about PPL park if they decide to move (and I don't think they have a choice but to move - damned if they do, damned if they don't really). Makes it another 20 minutes drive for me - Radnor's closer to me than Chester - although still shorter than a trip to Newark is.

Umass74
March 25th, 2011, 02:29 PM
Not sure on what you are basing your statements of UMass' strength for this year.

Last year was the big rebuilding year. In 2010 UMass returned only eight starters (four on each side). Despite that, we ran all over Michigan as well as the CAA. The UMass offense was first in total offense and first in passing offense. We were 3rd in scoring offense. We lost two games by a total of four points. Pretty good for being picked 8th in the CAA preseason poll.

This year, we return 14 starters including both captains. UMass returns four of five OL, the starting TB, the starting TE and one of the WR's. On defense we return All-America LB Tyler Holmes, plus three of four DL and three of four in the defensive backfield.

Add nine redshirt freshmen plus RB Chris Burns (transfer from Pitt, rated as a top 15 RB in the nation in HS). Also add Ryan Campbell DB transfer from Mississippi.

I think the Minutemen offense won't miss a beat in 2011 and the defense should be much improved.

I think UMass will be a load for everyone on our schedule including Boston College.

GannonFan
March 25th, 2011, 02:42 PM
Not sure on what you are basing your statements of UMass' strength for this year.

Last year was the big rebuilding year. In 2010 UMass returned only eight starters (four on each side). Despite that, we ran all over Michigan as well as the CAA. The UMass offense was first in total offense and first in passing offense. We were 3rd in scoring offense. We lost two games by a total of four points. Pretty good for being picked 8th in the CAA preseason poll.

This year, we return 14 starters including both captains. UMass returns four of five OL, the starting TB, the starting TE and one of the WR's. On defense we return All-America LB Tyler Holmes, plus three of four DL and three of four in the defensive backfield.

Add nine redshirt freshmen plus RB Chris Burns (transfer from Pitt, rated as a top 15 RB in the nation in HS). Also add Ryan Campbell DB transfer from Mississippi.

I think the Minutemen offense won't miss a beat in 2011 and the defense should be much improved.

I think UMass will be a load for everyone on our schedule including Boston College.

Michigan's D was brutal last year - you faced better defenses for much of the FCS season. My biggest question is who the QB will be - the QB's improvement from one year to the next is what helped UMass be 6-5 last year. Who's the QB?

Umass74
March 25th, 2011, 03:01 PM
I think UMass will be pretty good at QB this year. The projected starter is RSFR Brandon Hill a 6-5 210 pd pro-style QB from NJ.

QB depth should also be improved this year, Unlike 2009, when we did not have anyone ready to play, we have four additional QB's on the roster including Kellen Pagel a 6-3 200 transfer from Bowling Green (son Mike Pagel who played 12 years in the NFL).

I repeat, I think the UMass offense will be just as good, if not better than last year.

Anovafan
March 28th, 2011, 10:29 AM
Nova has 40 some odd players in spring practice right now, only 9 returning starters. Not really the way to reload. Nova had their 3 year run and will be lucky to win 5 or 6 games this year, in my opinion. Compare that to UD's 80+ players in spring practice.

I also agree this will be the year Penn gets a W against Nova.

bluehenbillk
March 28th, 2011, 02:01 PM
Nova has 40 some odd players in spring practice right now, only 9 returning starters. Not really the way to reload. Nova had their 3 year run and will be lucky to win 5 or 6 games this year, in my opinion. Compare that to UD's 80+ players in spring practice.

40-some players?? Those numbers seem really odd.

WMTribe90
March 28th, 2011, 03:45 PM
40-some players?? Those numbers seem really odd.

UR and VU carry fewer players on their roster relative to JMU and UD. WM is somewhere in between. It's harder for the private schools to attract walk-on's due to the cost of tuition relative to the average state university. In VU's case there may be a cost containment component as well.

UR and VU typically carry about 80 players in the fall. With VU graduating a large senior class, I could see their roster falling to around 55-60 inthe Spring. Forty-some players would seem odd though unless there were some serious defections among the underclassmen.

HailSzczur
March 28th, 2011, 06:44 PM

I sure hope they dont pull out a W...they haven't beaten us in over a century

Go Lehigh TU owl
March 28th, 2011, 06:52 PM
Waiving the white flag against Temple in March? I'm interested to see how Daz does. There's a lot of talent on the roster but it hasn't been able to perform on a consistent basis. Pierce has to stay healthy and Daz needs find to consistent QB play if we're going to take the next step.

At the end of the day i can't see us rolling over the 'Cats. There's too much emotion involved in the game imo.

Tribe4SF
March 29th, 2011, 08:09 AM

Wow! How did Nova get down to a roster of less than 50 for the spring? Based on last years roster, I would have expected about 60. That's a serious lack of bodies to conduct spring drills. If that's really the case it explains why Talley has already been talking about how many freshmen will play this year.

Anovafan
March 29th, 2011, 08:49 AM
Like many have said, Nova doesn't have many walk-ons because the school is too expensive. Nova only funds 59 of the 63 scholarships. There was a big graduating senior class, 20 or so, plus a handful of injured players. Suddenly you are down to 40 some odd players for spring drills. During the season Nova carries between 70-80 players. Talent and numbers wise, it could not be a worse time for Nova to be thinking Big East. If FBS does happen, Nova would be FCS this year, then 8 FBS games the next year, and 10 FBS games the year after that. A lot would be on the road. It would be ugly.