PDA

View Full Version : SI Article on APRs

WMTribe90
March 1st, 2006, 05:15 PM
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2006/football/ncaa/wires/03/01/apr.report/index.html

Ninety-nine teams at 65 schools produced failing marks under the NCAA's new academic measurements and could begin losing scholarships next fall.

Teams that fall below the NCAA's cutoff line would not be able to replace those scholarships when academically ineligible athletes leave school. The NCAA has limited penalties to a maximum of 10 percent of the scholarships.

Football teams had the worst overall results Thursday, followed by baseball and men's basketball. Nine women's programs were penalized.

The NCAA also released a list of schools that consistently outperformed the academic standards. Among those were Brown, Harvard, Yale, Notre Dame, the three U.S. military academies and William and Mary.

Nice recognition for I-AA members Yale, Brown, Harvard and W&M.

Lehigh Football Nation
March 1st, 2006, 06:07 PM
Hmmm....

There is some concern that historically black colleges and universities were affected disproportionately.

"It is an issue," Brand said. "A number of those institutions received mission exemptions, but there are a number of institutions that are still not performing as well for student-athletes as they are for the rest of the student body."

Go...gate
March 2nd, 2006, 10:44 AM
Congrats to William & Mary!!

blukeys
March 2nd, 2006, 12:26 PM
Good Work W&M :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray:

OL FU
March 2nd, 2006, 12:34 PM
Hmmm....

If I understand the "mission" I agree with the exemptions.

mainejeff
March 2nd, 2006, 09:54 PM
Where are the BCS schools on the APR?

JaxSinfonian
March 2nd, 2006, 10:23 PM
FWIW,

Each OVC school's APR is listed at http://ovcfootball.blogspot.com

EKU & Samford are among the top 10 percent of teams in the country. UT-Martin, Murray State and Jax State each got hit with scholarship penalties.