View Full Version : What is SWAC's 'Plan B' with No Legacy Bowl

TexasTerror
March 18th, 2011, 10:09 AM
It seemed as if the SWAC had put tons of 'eggs' in the Legacy Bowl coming to fruition...

In light of the Legacy Bowl not being on the horizon with the MEAC institutional leaders putting the brakes on that, what is the 'Plan B' for the SWAC?

Duer Sharp seemed pretty convinced the SWAC and MEAC were heading in that direction and you still have that nine-game mandate hanging over the schools, who now will continue to play a 'repeat game' for the SWAC title...

Does the SWAC have something innovative up its sleeves? A possible game against the Ivy League that some of their fans want?

3rd Coast Tiger
March 18th, 2011, 12:05 PM
xrotatehx xrotatehx xrotatehx

WestCoastAggie
March 18th, 2011, 02:26 PM
xrotatehx xrotatehx xrotatehx

http://i754.photobucket.com/albums/xx183/bennyb973/THISGONBGUD.gif

MsippiRattler
March 18th, 2011, 07:24 PM
They have no plan "B". And remember, the Ivy doesn't participate in post-season play, and the rest of the FCS conferences would rather compete for the playoffs.

3rd Coast Tiger
March 18th, 2011, 07:37 PM
Hey Rattler,

What was FAM's "Plan B" after a failed attempt at I-A football? Oh that's right, back to the "same old thing" they did before.

MsippiRattler
March 18th, 2011, 07:45 PM
We cleaned house, and continued to try and improve and be competitive!

TexasTerror
March 19th, 2011, 08:20 AM
They have no plan "B". And remember, the Ivy doesn't participate in post-season play, and the rest of the FCS conferences would rather compete for the playoffs.

I know this - but several SWAC fans continually insist on such a game between SWAC and Ivy.

Would think if the Ivy did enter the postseason, it would be with the playoffs...

Redwyn
March 19th, 2011, 11:16 AM
I know this - but several SWAC fans continually insist on such a game between SWAC and Ivy.

Would think if the Ivy did enter the postseason, it would be with the playoffs...

The Ivy League is obsessed with prestige and history. With all due respect to the HBCUs, which have plenty of both, they're not the Ivy League's type. Very, very, very few schools are, and absolutely all of them are in the Northeast (Georgetown being about the farthest south they trend).

The SWAC has a right to make its own decision, and we aren't necessarily privy to all the politics that go into playoffs vs. bowl game. However, a game vs. the HBCU D2 conference might be more likely than one vs. the Ivy League.

UAalum72
March 19th, 2011, 12:18 PM
No, the Ivy League thinks its type is Stanford, Duke, Vanderbilt, Rice

DFW HOYA
March 19th, 2011, 01:18 PM
SWAC champs vs. CIAA champs?

WestCoastAggie
March 19th, 2011, 02:28 PM
SWAC champs vs. CIAA champs?

Already got the Pioneer Bowl (SIAC v. CIAA) and both conferences, sans Tuskegee (SIAC) participate in the Div-2 Playoffs.

jmufan
March 19th, 2011, 03:01 PM
They could invite one of the independents.

superman7515
March 19th, 2011, 03:13 PM
Maybe the Pioneer League? They got denied auto-entry into the playoffs again. xconfusedx

blaw0203
March 19th, 2011, 08:51 PM
Staying in the playoffs over the legacy bowl was a no-brainer decision for MEAC Presidents. I still dont know how the SWAC actually believed the MEAC would have given up an automatic qualifier in lieu of a "legacy bowl". The SWAC dont like the playoffs because out of 19 appearances, they failed to even win 1 game. The MEAC supports the playoffs because we have had success in it. The SWAC should be in the playoffs but they are too stubborn to admit they were wrong even if not doing so means their demise!

And the SWAC can forget about Tennessee State joining them. That too will never happen as long as they are not in the playoffs.

TexasTerror
March 20th, 2011, 12:23 PM
However, a game vs. the HBCU D2 conference might be more likely than one vs. the Ivy League.

May be a better contest...

Tuskegee did beat both SWAC Championship Game contenders and while the league does have its share of problems against the Arkansas-Monticello and Delta State-type teams as well, they do have a rivalry in place with the Div II schools...

Not sure the SWAC would be so "proud" to have such a 'bowl' game, there's a chance it can be a repeat and of course - more losses to sub-Div I schools, albeit on a bigger stage than the usual ones.

blaw0203
March 21st, 2011, 09:41 PM
May be a better contest...

Tuskegee did beat both SWAC Championship Game contenders and while the league does have its share of problems against the Arkansas-Monticello and Delta State-type teams as well, they do have a rivalry in place with the Div II schools...

Not sure the SWAC would be so "proud" to have such a 'bowl' game, there's a chance it can be a repeat and of course - more losses to sub-Div I schools, albeit on a bigger stage than the usual ones.

Its ashame but you are right. The SWAC has positioned themselves as a Div II conference in football. It was a bad decision for them to abandon the playoffs, bad decision to start a rivalry with a Div II team (tuskeegee), and to add insult to injury, tuskeegee embarrassed the entire conference by beating its two opponents in the championship game the same year making tuskeegee the true SWAC Champ for the season - smh. They have diminshed their conference and wanted to pull the MEAC down with them - misery loves company. And the idea of having the Ivy League in the Legacy Bowl is ridiculous; they would never stoop so low. Point blank, the SWAC needs to get its ish together and participate in the playoffs. They just might be rewarded with an AQ.

Big Dawg
March 21st, 2011, 10:00 PM
The SWAC just needs to do away with the SWAC Championship game...we know SU and Grambling aren't going to budge on moving the Bayou Classic, so why does the SWAC insist on holding programs like Jackson State or Prarie View back?

Big Dawg
March 21st, 2011, 10:03 PM
Hey Rattler,

What was FAM's "Plan B" after a failed attempt at I-A football? Oh that's right, back to the "same old thing" they did before.

Eh we just won a MEAC title...and we're 25-9 over the past 3 seasons...with two of those losses to Miami and three of them to three time defending MEAC Champ South Carolina State...and we're continuing to improve.

Your turn...

mikebigg
March 22nd, 2011, 12:50 AM
Actually, the title of the thread should be more appropriately titled "What's ESPN's Plan B for the Legacy Bowl"

The spin (as per the usual) puts this all on the SWAC and gives the slant that the SWAC will roll over and die about this game. We are not losing a game because "duh" we never had one. ESPN had an interest in the SWAC vs MEAC... now that the MEAC isn't interested, ESPN can seek another opponent or cancel the proposed game all together.

With or without it... Playoffs ain't happening for the SWAC. (Man, yall can't get over the fact that we DGAF about the playoffs!)

blaw0203
March 22nd, 2011, 02:10 AM
Actually, the title of the thread should be more appropriately titled "What's ESPN's Plan B for the Legacy Bowl"

The spin (as per the usual) puts this all on the SWAC and gives the slant that the SWAC will roll over and die about this game. We are not losing a game because "duh" we never had one. ESPN had an interest in the SWAC vs MEAC... now that the MEAC isn't interested, ESPN can seek another opponent or cancel the proposed game all together.

With or without it... Playoffs ain't happening for the SWAC. (Man, yall can't get over the fact that we DGAF about the playoffs!)

We know the SWAC wont participate in the playoffs, but you all are hurting no one but yourselves. Many SWAC people saw the Legacy Bowl as a ray of light. The SWAC also wants Tennessee State Univerity to join it but like the Legacy Bowl, that too will not happen. Its sad though because at one time in history, some SWAC programs were among the best in the nation.

mikebigg
March 22nd, 2011, 03:19 AM
All that's fine and good... and a matter of opinion. Still, the fact remains that the Legacy Bowl was the brain child of ESPN. Perhaps they have need of a Plan B...we're still working our regular plan.

TexasTerror
March 22nd, 2011, 07:17 AM
The SWAC is a Division II league running under the Division I umbrella...

The editorial that came out the other day about the SWAC moving to Division II would be deemed accurate, if the SWAC schools could afford it.

Based on their money-raising efforts in basketball and football that keep the programs afloat (very similar to what SLC member Nicholls does), they could not make it in Div II. They need several hundred thousand from both sports just to come close to running an athletic department.

I say come close... because it's obvious that the resources and staffing necessary to run a Div I athletic department are far from reality at many, if not each one of the SWAC institutions.

Perhaps 'Plan B' will be a way for the SWAC as a league to ease the financial burden of its member institutions and find a way for the league to become competitive in at least one major sport with its low major peers (they got a long ways to go before we mention mid-major peers).

Big Dawg
March 22nd, 2011, 08:23 AM

No...Grambling and Southern don't give a fugg about the playoffs...but other teams and coaches in the Swac do.

3rd Coast Tiger
March 22nd, 2011, 08:37 AM
Eh we just won a MEAC title...and we're 25-9 over the past 3 seasons...with two of those losses to Miami and three of them to three time defending MEAC Champ South Carolina State...and we're continuing to improve.

Your turn...

Well... we just won a (outright) SWAC title while going 9-3 in 2010, 6-5 in 2009 and 4-8 in 2008 which is steady progression so we're continuing to improve as well.

3rd Coast Tiger
March 22nd, 2011, 08:40 AM
No...Grambling and Southern don't give a fugg about the playoffs...but other teams and coaches in the Swac do.

You're forgetting SWAC member Alabama State.

3rd Coast Tiger
March 22nd, 2011, 08:42 AM

As long as we don't have to resort to going down to Division III (non scholarship) and tell an athlete to pay his/her own way.

WestCoastAggie
March 22nd, 2011, 10:00 AM
Is there a way for Ala. State, Grambling and Southern to become football independents while keeping all other sports in the SWAC?

Or perhaps Grambling and Southern along with Ala. State and Tuskegee could start another football conference. I can see the SWAC handling 2 Football Conferences. This scenario could give everybody what they desire and possibly make the SWAC more attractive for Tenn. State and FAMU.

Lehigh Football Nation
March 22nd, 2011, 10:10 AM
I'll try to derail the unjustified SWAC-bashing with something more interesting.

First of all, it was intimated on another thread that a majority of MEAC presidents were FOR the Legacy bowl.

If that rumor is true, that means that there were two poles of implacable opposition on the matter inside the MEAC itself.

For some reason the usual suspects are trying to spin this as the MEAC has its house completely in order, and the SWAC is going to wither and fail because there is no Legacy Bowl. I do not find this the case at all. The vote didn't change the two poles of opposition.

The SWAC is what it is - their offer will still stand for a Legacy Bowl no matter what happens. But the MEAC's vote more exposes a large rift within their own membership as to what they want to do.

I think it's much, much more likely that the MEAC breaks up over this than the SWAC. The SWAC knows what it wants to be. The same can't be said for the MEAC.

So it's stupid to ask the question, "What is the SWAC's 'Plan B'"? They don't need a Plan B. The SWAC will continue to do what it does, with or without a Legacy Bowl. It's the MEAC which needs to ask questions. Do they want playoffs, or a bowl?

WestCoastAggie
March 22nd, 2011, 10:23 AM
I'll try to derail the unjustified SWAC-bashing with something more interesting.

First of all, it was intimated on another thread that a majority of MEAC presidents were FOR the Legacy bowl.

If that rumor is true, that means that there were two poles of implacable opposition on the matter inside the MEAC itself.

For some reason the usual suspects are trying to spin this as the MEAC has its house completely in order, and the SWAC is going to wither and fail because there is no Legacy Bowl. I do not find this the case at all. The vote didn't change the two poles of opposition.

The SWAC is what it is - their offer will still stand for a Legacy Bowl no matter what happens. But the MEAC's vote more exposes a large rift within their own membership as to what they want to do.

I think it's much, much more likely that the MEAC breaks up over this than the SWAC. The SWAC knows what it wants to be. The same can't be said for the MEAC.

So it's stupid to ask the question, "What is the SWAC's 'Plan B'"? They don't need a Plan B. The SWAC will continue to do what it does, with or without a Legacy Bowl. It's the MEAC which needs to ask questions. Do they want playoffs, or a bowl?

Also according to rumors, the swing vote(s) which led to the Legacy Bowl Proposal to be defeated were NC A&T and possibly NCCU, if their Chancellor was given a vote.

3rd Coast Tiger
March 22nd, 2011, 11:03 AM

+1

You know LFN, I'd like to thank you for your unbiased opinion from someone that's not within the two conferences (SWAC/MEAC) or even others who love to insert their valuable opinions when they do not even present the entire facts only just to get a jab in on the SWAC; the conference that has been in existence since 1920 that has seen depressions, world wars, conflicts and too many recessions to count.

The Southwestern Athletic Conference will be just fine without a Legacy Bowl, the MEAC or any other entity that "claims" to be superior.

This is downright sad.

blaw0203
March 22nd, 2011, 11:16 AM
A

Your post is COMPLETELY FALSE! No MEAC institutions have gone on record supporting the Legacy Bowl - the only supporter of it was the MEAC Commish and that is not surprising being that he is a product of the SWAC. Several SWAC institutions have gone on record with the media expressing their desires to participate in the playoffs. Just back in January, the Jackson State AD stated that JSU needs to leave the SWAC and that not being in the playoffs hurts recruitment and program growth. So the SWAC IS torn over which direction to go in. And them offering Tennessee State to join wasnt an "olive branch" but an act of desperation to try and keep certain schools from leaving. Point blank, everyone knows they feel "out of their league", but the SWAC either belongs in the playoffs or should go back to Div II where they feel they can compete.

blaw0203
March 22nd, 2011, 11:41 AM
All that's fine and good... and a matter of opinion. Still, the fact remains that the Legacy Bowl was the brain child of ESPN. Perhaps they have need of a Plan B...we're still working our regular plan.

The Legacy Bowl WAS NOT the "brainchild" of ESPN - MEAC Commissioner Dennis Thomas and SWAC Commissioner Duer Sharp started it, they have been lobbying to bring back the Heritage Bowl for years, they just thought it would work this time because they sold the idea to ESPN who offered to put up 3million for it.

ESPN went for it because they want to own a major HBCU game badly because they see how supportive the fanbases are with games like the Florida Classic, Atlanta Classic, Bayou Classic, and Magic City Classic - but they are going about it the wrong way. HBCU fans are VERY LOYAL and if they feel disenfranchised, they will NOT support which is why the MEAC SWAC Challenge is such a flop.

The only way the Legacy Bowl could work is for the SWAC to be in control of it. They should form the deal with ESPN for say 2million. Then they take their champion and select a MEAC team (that is not going to the playoffs) each year. They could pay that MEAC team 250,000 and keep the other 1.75million for themselves. That would give the SWAC more money than they wouldve received with the Legacy Bowl AND screw the MEAC out of any money while still getting schools to participate each year because no MEAC school would turn down 250grand to sit at home.

TexasTerror
March 22nd, 2011, 03:37 PM
As long as we don't have to resort to going down to Division III (non scholarship) and tell an athlete to pay his/her own way.

Many of your student-athletes are paying their own way... I have not seen any SWAC school that fully-funds their sports offerings.

Perhaps football and the basketballs... but most, if not all do not properly fund most of the other sports outside of that...

The only way the Legacy Bowl could work is for the SWAC to be in control of it. They should form the deal with ESPN for say 2million. Then they take their champion and select a MEAC team (that is not going to the playoffs) each year. They could pay that MEAC team 250,000 and keep the other 1.75million for themselves. That would give the SWAC more money than they wouldve received with the Legacy Bowl AND screw the MEAC out of any money while still getting schools to participate each year because no MEAC school would turn down 250grand to sit at home.

Makes sense...

And the MEAC will not care about its #2 or #3 team losing to the SWAC, just like the SWAC would not care about its top team losing to a #2, #3 or in the case of both SWAC title game participants this year - a Div II squad.

mikebigg
March 22nd, 2011, 03:59 PM
The Legacy Bowl WAS NOT the "brainchild" of ESPN - MEAC Commissioner Dennis Thomas and SWAC Commissioner Duer Sharp started it, they have been lobbying to bring back the Heritage Bowl for years, they just thought it would work this time because they sold the idea to ESPN who offered to put up 3million for it.

ESPN went for it because they want to own a major HBCU game badly because they see how supportive the fanbases are with games like the Florida Classic, Atlanta Classic, Bayou Classic, and Magic City Classic - but they are going about it the wrong way. HBCU fans are VERY LOYAL and if they feel disenfranchised, they will NOT support which is why the MEAC SWAC Challenge is such a flop.

Okay...cool that those two commissioners were pro-active in trying to create a moneymaker. If it doesn't happen, we (The SWAC) will move on...just as we've done prior to the Legacy Bowl. If anything new come up, I'm sure there's some posters who will keep us informed.

superman7515
March 22nd, 2011, 07:19 PM
A

Your post is COMPLETELY FALSE! No MEAC institutions have gone on record supporting the Legacy Bowl - the only supporter of it was the MEAC Commish and that is not surprising being that he is a product of the SWAC. Several SWAC institutions have gone on record with the media expressing their desires to participate in the playoffs. Just back in January, the Jackson State AD stated that JSU needs to leave the SWAC and that not being in the playoffs hurts recruitment and program growth. So the SWAC IS torn over which direction to go in. And them offering Tennessee State to join wasnt an "olive branch" but an act of desperation to try and keep certain schools from leaving. Point blank, everyone knows they feel "out of their league", but the SWAC either belongs in the playoffs or should go back to Div II where they feel they can compete.

Although no MEAC institutions have gone on record supporting the Legacy Bowl, a majority of the AD's did vote for it last week. However, there were enough no votes to defeat the measure without a majority because of the MEAC by-laws which state that any resolution that recieves 4 or more no votes is defeated, regardless of majority. That vote acts as a recommendation to the the Presidents and the MEAC Council of Chief Executive Officers voted down the Legacy Bowl at this time.

The school athletic directors that voted for the Legacy Bowl:
Delaware State
Hampton
Howard
Morgan State
Savannah State
South Carolina State

The school athletic directors that voted against the Legacy Bowl:
Bethune-Cookman
Florida A&M
Norfolk State
North Carolina A&T
North Carolina Central

citdog
March 22nd, 2011, 07:27 PM
look we all know that the only thing holding back historically black college football is the Confederate Battle Flag. xrotatehx

kdinva
March 22nd, 2011, 07:28 PM
Very surprised to read that Hampton and SC State voted to "drop" from the playoff picture.

superman7515
March 22nd, 2011, 07:37 PM
Very surprised to read that Hampton and SC State voted to "drop" from the playoff picture.

Ironically, those are the two whose AD's voted contrary to the school President's publically stated position.

blaw0203
March 22nd, 2011, 07:52 PM
Although no MEAC institutions have gone on record supporting the Legacy Bowl, a majority of the AD's did vote for it last week. However, there were enough no votes to defeat the measure without a majority because of the MEAC by-laws which state that any resolution that recieves 4 or more no votes is defeated, regardless of majority. That vote acts as a recommendation to the the Presidents and the MEAC Council of Chief Executive Officers voted down the Legacy Bowl at this time.

The school athletic directors that voted for the Legacy Bowl:
Delaware State
Hampton
Howard
Morgan State
Savannah State
South Carolina State

The school athletic directors that voted against the Legacy Bowl:
Bethune-Cookman
Florida A&M
Norfolk State
North Carolina A&T
North Carolina Central

Here you go lying again LOL! North Carolina Central and Savannah State were not even allowed to vote and Delaware State and Hampton both support the playoffs, plus the vote only called for a simple majority to pass. Next time post what source you get your lies from because it is easily shown you are creating them up from your "brilliant" mind LMAO
Plus, it is widely known that South Carolina State supports the playoffs, your posting privileges should be revoked for blatantly lying like that - dude at least have some integrity-SMH!

GAD
March 22nd, 2011, 08:01 PM
Staying in the playoffs over the legacy bowl was a no-brainer decision for MEAC Presidents. I still dont know how the SWAC actually believed the MEAC would have given up an automatic qualifier in lieu of a "legacy bowl". The SWAC dont like the playoffs because out of 19 appearances, they failed to even win 1 game. The MEAC supports the playoffs because we have had success in it. The SWAC should be in the playoffs but they are too stubborn to admit they were wrong even if not doing so means their demise!

And the SWAC can forget about Tennessee State joining them. That too will never happen as long as they are not in the playoffs.

The SWAC left for financial reasons, U of Montana did a study on the FCS post season and came up with the exact same result the SWAC did 10 years earlier

dbackjon
March 22nd, 2011, 08:05 PM
The SWAC left for financial reasons, U of Montana did a study on the FCS post season and came up with the exact same result the SWAC did 10 years earlier

So it is all about money? Not trying to prove yourself in a playoff?

So then why doesn't the SWAC as a whole move to FBS? Could schedule nine games in conference, and each team do three money games for about $2million for each school?

Still do the conference championship game, and would probably be ahead of the SunBelt as far as desirability for bowls.

mikebigg
March 22nd, 2011, 08:43 PM

So then why doesn't the SWAC as a whole move to FBS? Could schedule nine games in conference, and each team do three money games for about $2million for each school?

Still do the conference championship game, and would probably be ahead of the SunBelt as far as desirability for bowls.

I would like that... OR why not petition for a 12 game regular season since we are not playoff eligible anyway.

Lehigh Football Nation
March 22nd, 2011, 11:07 PM

I would like that... OR why not petition for a 12 game regular season since we are not playoff eligible anyway.

As dbackjon says, with a Championship game and a 12-game season, why not just go FBS?

mikebigg
March 23rd, 2011, 05:47 AM
I think that would be a good move...not sure if it's feasible, but I'd like to see that happen.

UAalum72
March 23rd, 2011, 09:22 AM
As dbackjon says, with a Championship game and a 12-game season, why not just go FBS?
Maybe because FBS actually has a requirement for a minimum of 76.5 scholarships for football and overall 16 (instead of 14) sports?

WestCoastAggie
March 23rd, 2011, 10:03 AM
Here you go lying again LOL! North Carolina Central and Savannah State were not even allowed to vote and Delaware State and Hampton both support the playoffs, plus the vote only called for a simple majority to pass. Next time post what source you get your lies from because it is easily shown you are creating them up from your "brilliant" mind LMAO
Plus, it is widely known that South Carolina State supports the playoffs, your posting privileges should be revoked for blatantly lying like that - dude at least have some integrity-SMH!

Actually blaw, he's not off at all. If you are hanging around the MEACFansZone website or talked to the SC State Alumni, you would know that they despise their AD. She agrees with the premise of the legacy bowl. However, with "backing" of the BOT, the President did not go along with her vote.

And it is also not known officially if NCCU and SSU were allowed to vote on this topic. NCCU and SSU will not be full members until July 1st and Sept. respectively but the CCOP could have motioned to have their votes count since they would be playing for this championship this upcoming fall.

Also, it is speculated that Dr. Trudy Wade voted opposite her AD as well.

The 4 presidents that supposedly voted against the Legacy Bowl:

FAMU
NC A&T
Norfolk State
SC State

Interestingly enough, one of the main reasons why the SC State president almost lost his job was because of this legacy bowl vote which the BOT was strongly against.

And Chancellor Martin (A&T), who was previously rumored to be for the Legacy Bowl, changed his mind and became the swing vote. xsmiley_wix

blaw0203
March 23rd, 2011, 10:49 AM
Actually blaw, he's not off at all. If you are hanging around the MEACFansZone website or talked to the SC State Alumni, you would know that they despise their AD. She agrees with the premise of the legacy bowl. However, with "backing" of the BOT, the President did not go along with her vote.

And it is also not known officially if NCCU and SSU were allowed to vote on this topic. NCCU and SSU will not be full members until July 1st and Sept. respectively but the CCOP could have motioned to have their votes count since they would be playing for this championship this upcoming fall.

Also, it is speculated that Dr. Trudy Wade voted opposite her AD as well.

The 4 presidents that supposedly voted against the Legacy Bowl:

FAMU
NC A&T
Norfolk State
SC State

Interestingly enough, one of the main reasons why the SC State president almost lost his job was because of this legacy bowl vote which the BOT was strongly against.

And Chancellor Martin (A&T), who was previously rumored to be for the Legacy Bowl, changed his mind and became the swing vote. xsmiley_wix

Actually he is lying, and it was NOT the ADs who voted. It was the MEAC Council of Chief Executive Officers (CCEO) which are comprised of the Presidents from each institution. They casted this vote at the March meeting they have every year. And it took 5 schools in the vote to require it to pass which they did not have. Yes, the MEAC has 13 schools but 4 of them could not vote: Coppin, Maryland Eastern Shore, North Carolina Central, and Savannah State.
And as far as speculating how the vote went - unless you were present when they voted or have an official press release from the MEAC outlining how everyone voted then you are just spouting and informed opinion because to date, no MEAC school has gone on record supporting a Legacy BOwl but MANY have gone on record in its opposition. But arguing over all of that is pointless now because it wont happen LOL! So win or lose - we shall continue to see you all in the playoffs!

TexasTerror
March 23rd, 2011, 10:59 AM
Maybe because FBS actually has a requirement for a minimum of 76.5 scholarships for football and overall 16 (instead of 14) sports?

Additionally... many of the SWAC schools, if not all of them - fail to fully-fund their sport offerings as is.

Perhaps they would be able to do so if their football teams play two guarantee games of worth over $1M apiece. If Valley were to do that, they'd be getting over a 50% raise in their athletic budget, which is a FCS football low of $3.3M.

WestCoastAggie
March 23rd, 2011, 11:09 AM
Actually he is lying, and it was NOT the ADs who voted. It was the MEAC Council of Chief Executive Officers (CCEO) which are comprised of the Presidents from each institution. They casted this vote at the March meeting they have every year.

The AD's did have a non-binding straw poll vote before the Spring CCEO meeting. That's where Superman's info comes from. This is used to gauge how the Presidents may vote. But as I said, B-CU's & SCSU's presidents voted opposite of what their AD's voted.

Also, for the measure to pass there could only be 3 nay votes. A&T's Chancellor Harold Martin was the swing vote on this measure.

3rd Coast Tiger
March 23rd, 2011, 11:22 AM
Good thing we don't have to downgrade and ask for "asylum" at the Division III level like University of New Orleans had to do.

Or like the Louisiana SLC schools who are in the midst of a blood bath. Will there even be a SLC by 2015?

TexasTerror
March 23rd, 2011, 11:30 AM
Good thing we don't have to downgrade and ask for "asylum" at the Division III level

Sounds like you have out-dated information or lack information, but that is consistent with your track record. Said school is going a different direction with plans to add football in the next five years in a league that has quite the history of beating on the SWAC - see Fightin' Okra.

Or like the Louisiana SLC schools who are in the midst of a blood bath. Will there even be a SLC by 2015?

The Louisiana schools in the SLC are essentially very similar to the SWAC schools (sans Texas Southern and Prairie View). Limited finances with so much of it tied to institutional support, while competing at a level in which their budgets compared to others they compete with are heading in the wrong direction.

3rd Coast Tiger
March 23rd, 2011, 11:37 AM
There was "previous intent to transition to Division III" but hey.... if Div. II works best to lower expenses for UNO as opposed to Div. I then great!

superman7515
March 23rd, 2011, 11:54 AM
There was "previous intent to transition to Division III" but hey.... if Div. II works best to lower expenses for UNO as opposed to Div. I then great!

Kind of off-topic, but if Gov. Jindal pushes through his merger of SUNO & UNO, will they cease to have separate sports teams?

dbackjon
March 23rd, 2011, 12:41 PM
Additionally... many of the SWAC schools, if not all of them - fail to fully-fund their sport offerings as is.

Perhaps they would be able to do so if their football teams play two guarantee games of worth over $1M apiece. If Valley were to do that, they'd be getting over a 50% raise in their athletic budget, which is a FCS football low of $3.3M.

That is why I mentioned the guarantee games - they could do three of them a year (with a 12 game schedule), and easily clear $2 million or more.

There are a couple schools, like MVSU that may not be able to even do that, but will MVSU even exist in a few years?

TexasTerror
March 23rd, 2011, 01:09 PM
That is why I mentioned the guarantee games - they could do three of them a year (with a 12 game schedule), and easily clear $2 million or more.

No question... and being a 'FBS' conference could lead to higher dollar amounts for basketball guarantee games too... potentially.

Only problem is Tuskegee - who has a history with several of the SWAC schools & beat both SWAC title game participants last year - would not be able to continue that history...

dbackjon
March 23rd, 2011, 01:44 PM
No question... and being a 'FBS' conference could lead to higher dollar amounts for basketball guarantee games too... potentially.

Only problem is Tuskegee - who has a history with several of the SWAC schools & beat both SWAC title game participants last year - would not be able to continue that history...

Then they could upgrade too :)

TexasTerror
March 23rd, 2011, 02:37 PM
Then they could upgrade too :)

Tuskegee from Div II to FCS? What conference would they be interested in? Doubt they'd want to go to the Ohio Valley...

dbackjon
March 23rd, 2011, 03:18 PM
Tuskegee from Div II to FCS? What conference would they be interested in? Doubt they'd want to go to the Ohio Valley...

If it was important enough to keep rivals.

An FBS SWAC could possibly attract Tennessee State.

Panther88
March 23rd, 2011, 08:27 PM
There's not enough disposable $$$$ to cover the scholarship level increase, facilities, Title IX, et al reqmts for a transition from FCS to FBS for the current SWAC membership. Not to mention the req'd # of home games and home attendance figures required. So, plan "B" speak regarding FCS to FBS is moot, IMO.

I'm not sure what the SWAC braintrust and the SWAC COPs coerced by ESPN would come up w/ as a valid plan "B" since the LB seemingly temporarily derailed due to the MEAC's stance.

TSUalum05
March 24th, 2011, 06:51 AM

The editorial that came out the other day about the SWAC moving to Division II would be deemed accurate, if the SWAC schools could afford it.

Based on their money-raising efforts in basketball and football that keep the programs afloat (very similar to what SLC member Nicholls does), they could not make it in Div II. They need several hundred thousand from both sports just to come close to running an athletic department.

I say come close... because it's obvious that the resources and staffing necessary to run a Div I athletic department are far from reality at many, if not each one of the SWAC institutions.

Perhaps 'Plan B' will be a way for the SWAC as a league to ease the financial burden of its member institutions and find a way for the league to become competitive in at least one major sport with its low major peers (they got a long ways to go before we mention mid-major peers).

I guess you neglected to include the MEAC in the article you are referencing; they were mentioned in the same light for basketball in which the article was about -- basketball.

TexasTerror
March 24th, 2011, 07:13 AM
I guess you neglected to include the MEAC in the article you are referencing; they were mentioned in the same light for basketball in which the article was about -- basketball.

Even in basketball - from a funding and competitive standpoint - the MEAC has of the last 5-10 years - been at a higher level than the SWAC.

Across all sports, I think the MEAC is looked as being more of a Division I league than that of the SWAC.

3rd Coast Tiger
March 24th, 2011, 08:05 AM
As usual, the crusade continues.

TSUalum05
March 24th, 2011, 08:41 AM
Even in basketball - from a funding and competitive standpoint - the MEAC has of the last 5-10 years - been at a higher level than the SWAC.

Across all sports, I think the MEAC is looked as being more of a Division I league than that of the SWAC.

All I'm saying is that you half of the story when you omitted the MEAC as well. In regards to funding an assumption that I have; if you take out travel budgets, the funding will be the same. Except for Valley. Check into if you can...

3rd Coast Tiger
March 24th, 2011, 08:48 AM
All I'm saying is that you half of the story when you omitted the MEAC as well. In regards to funding an assumption that I have; if you take out travel budgets, the funding will be the same. Except for Valley. Check into if you can...

Furthermore, why is there discussion of non-football (FCS in particular) in this forum exclusively for "FCS Discussion"?

TSUalum05
March 24th, 2011, 09:13 AM
Furthermore, why is there discussion of non-football (FCS in particular) in this forum exclusively for "FCS Discussion"?

The only problem that I have is the misinformation...I wonder if I post a negative editorial about FCS football will he use that as fact. Especially if I have strong supporting reasons.

blaw0203
March 24th, 2011, 02:58 PM
TSU Alum and TexasTerror, I want to read that article. Where can I find it?

TSUalum05
March 24th, 2011, 05:15 PM
TSU Alum and TexasTerror, I want to read that article. Where can I find it?

I PM'd you the link since this is a legacy bowl thread.

Panther88
March 24th, 2011, 07:07 PM
I wonder if any of the regional non-power FBSers, not invited to a bowl game yet bowl elgible, would be interested in some sort of Bowl Game, legacy driven :), against the SWAC Legacy "champion?" W/ coffers falling short and educational budgets all throughout this region being affected, it would make cents and if handled properly, could make even more sense for some.

*thinking about the ArkSts, ULMs, MTSUs, UNTs, possibly the upper tier Troys, et al*

It's no secret that the SWAC is strapped for athletic cash so any type of positive athletic revenue would certainly be good revenue, IMO.

superman7515
March 25th, 2011, 08:43 AM
I wonder if any of the regional non-power FBSers, not invited to a bowl game yet bowl elgible, would be interested in some sort of Bowl Game, legacy driven :), against the SWAC Legacy "champion?" W/ coffers falling short and educational budgets all throughout this region being affected, it would make cents and if handled properly, could make even more sense for some.

*thinking about the ArkSts, ULMs, MTSUs, UNTs, possibly the upper tier Troys, et al*

It's no secret that the SWAC is strapped for athletic cash so any type of positive athletic revenue would certainly be good revenue, IMO.

There's so many bowls now that they've had discussions about allowing teams with losing records in if they run out of eligible teams. I don't think you could do it simply because there's no guarantee that there will be anyone left anymore with the oversaturation of FBS bowls.

TexasTerror
March 25th, 2011, 11:05 AM

If you take out travel for the MEAC, the budgets would be the same as the SWAC?

Most of the MEAC budgets are twice that of the SWAC schools, correct?

A comparison of travel was done between schools in the same state and different leagues with La Tech and UL-Lafayette, who have great travel disparities by virtue of La Tech being in the far flung WAC - definitely was not several million dollars to cover that gap between SWAC and MEAC.

There are at least two more bowl games coming...

And again, I do not see how this benefits a school - particularly, if they were to lose to the SWAC. It would be like creating a 'CBI'-like football game. No one cares!

The Sun Belt is already playing the SWAC in football, because they got beat a few too many times (thanks to ULL and ULM) by Southland schools. The SWAC was the safer, more affordable option...

mikebigg
March 25th, 2011, 01:32 PM
Could also be due to better attendance numbers.

GannonFan
March 25th, 2011, 02:46 PM
There's not enough disposable $$$$ to cover the scholarship level increase, facilities, Title IX, et al reqmts for a transition from FCS to FBS for the current SWAC membership. Not to mention the req'd # of home games and home attendance figures required. So, plan "B" speak regarding FCS to FBS is moot, IMO.

I'm not sure what the SWAC braintrust and the SWAC COPs coerced by ESPN would come up w/ as a valid plan "B" since the LB seemingly temporarily derailed due to the MEAC's stance.

Why? The guarantee money for body-bag games is much higher if you are an FBS school as opposed to being an FCS school (on the order of at least $1M being an FBS school versus $500k being an FCS school). I'm sure the SWAC could get plenty of games being in SEC and Big 12 country, so travel wouldn't even be a problem. Can't see the bottom line being any worse in FBS than it is today. I see that as a very viable alternative for the SWAC.

Panther88
March 25th, 2011, 02:55 PM

That's what I'm thinking as well MB. Coffers -----> $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ equate butts in the seat. I'm sure "safety" had not so much to do w/ it.

Why? The guarantee money for body-bag games is much higher if you are an FBS school as opposed to being an FCS school (on the order of at least $1M being an FBS school versus $500k being an FCS school). I'm sure the SWAC could get plenty of games being in SEC and Big 12 country, so travel wouldn't even be a problem. Can't see the bottom line being any worse in FBS than it is today. I see that as a very viable alternative for the SWAC.
Roger that on the viability GF but, how many SWAC schools actually have the financial backing to support such a move from FCS to FBS? Facilities? I can think (currently) of only 3-4 possibles (JSU, Grambling, SU, and either of Texas Southern/Alabama St maybe). It takes invested $$$$$$$$ to make that move happen. I don't think those pieces are in place for several, currently.

TexasTerror
March 25th, 2011, 05:36 PM

I do not see an FBS team having more people at a 'bowl game' to face an FCS school as they would get an FBS school.

North Texas will have more people travel if they are playing Louisiana Tech in the Independence Bowl, than if they were playing Grambling in a similar contest in Shreveport...

Roger that on the viability GF but, how many SWAC schools actually have the financial backing to support such a move from FCS to FBS? Facilities? I can think (currently) of only 3-4 possibles (JSU, Grambling, SU, and either of Texas Southern/Alabama St maybe). It takes invested $$$$$$$$ to make that move happen. I don't think those pieces are in place for several, currently.

Doesn't Southern have issues with softball facilities? Their baseball facility also needs to be spruced up, despite the ambiance of it all... got to keep all facilities in mind...

Texas Southern address their baseball, softball issues yet? Will give'em kudos on hoops and football.

superman7515
March 25th, 2011, 08:06 PM
http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a169/electrikpimp/TexasTerror.jpg

Panther88
March 25th, 2011, 08:34 PM
I do not see an FBS team having more people at a 'bowl game' to face an FCS school as they would get an FBS school.

North Texas will have more people travel if they are playing Louisiana Tech in the Independence Bowl, than if they were playing Grambling in a similar contest in Shreveport...

More than likely so TT. UNT's fanbase won't know nada about the SWAC, IMO, yet alone the SWAC schools unless... they're educated early on. ;)

Doesn't Southern have issues with softball facilities? Their baseball facility also needs to be spruced up, despite the ambiance of it all... got to keep all facilities in mind...

Texas Southern address their baseball, softball issues yet? Will give'em kudos on hoops and football.

That's why I alluded to the idealism that moving up to FBS as a whole wouldn't occur. Too many holes in facilities and available disposable $$$$$. Holes as in too many upgrades req'd.

One thing's certain, we'll never know the actual truth until someone has enough faith to try it. :)

BlackNGoldR3v0lut10n
March 26th, 2011, 06:23 AM
More than likely so TT. UNT's fanbase won't know nada about the SWAC, IMO, yet alone the SWAC schools unless... they're educated early on. ;)

That's why I alluded to the idealism that moving up to FBS as a whole wouldn't occur. Too many holes in facilities and available disposable $$$$$. Holes as in too many upgrades req'd.

One thing's certain, we'll never know the actual truth until someone has enough faith to try it. :)

I did some checking on the SWAC. Six of the ten schools have primary stadiums that can seat in excess of 15k. Texas Southern has access to Reliant Stadium, which makes seven. Mississippi Valley is in the process of upgrading Rice-Totten (seating capacity >10k). Arkansas-Pine Bluff's stadium can seat 14,500 (per UAPB's athletics website). Prairie View is in the process of building a new stadium that can seat 30k (how far along they are in the process is yet to be seen). If I was Mr. Sharp, I would ask PV when this stadium they are talking about will be ready as well as asking UAPB and MVSU what it would take to upgrade their stadia to 15k and how soon that can be ready. If PV, UAPB and MVSU have these facilities ready, I will not be surprised if the SWAC makes the move to FBS.

TexasTerror
March 26th, 2011, 06:35 AM
Texas Southern has access to Reliant Stadium, which makes seven.

They'll be playing at the Houston Dynamo stadium that is under construction... holds about 22-24k, if I recall...

Won't matter if they are educated. It's clear cut. FBS or FCS.

GAD
March 26th, 2011, 08:46 AM

Thats all it is, SWAC teams draw better.

TSUalum05
March 26th, 2011, 09:35 AM
It would be like creating a 'CBI'-like football game. No one cares!

Kind of like the FCS championship?

Panther88
March 26th, 2011, 10:04 AM
I did some checking on the SWAC. Six of the ten schools have primary stadiums that can seat in excess of 15k. Texas Southern has access to Reliant Stadium, which makes seven. Mississippi Valley is in the process of upgrading Rice-Totten (seating capacity >10k). Arkansas-Pine Bluff's stadium can seat 14,500 (per UAPB's athletics website). Prairie View is in the process of building a new stadium that can seat 30k (how far along they are in the process is yet to be seen). If I was Mr. Sharp, I would ask PV when this stadium they are talking about will be ready as well as asking UAPB and MVSU what it would take to upgrade their stadia to 15k and how soon that can be ready. If PV, UAPB and MVSU have these facilities ready, I will not be surprised if the SWAC makes the move to FBS.

Athletic $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ BlackNGold. I just don't see it @ this juncture.

They'll be playing at the Houston Dynamo stadium that is under construction... holds about 22-24k, if I recall...

I'm not so sure I disagree w/ the current FCS setup as it's still D-I. Also, I'm not so sure I disagree w/ the SWAC COPs stance: $$$$$$$$. SWAC schools cannot float that 20K+ student populous and garner those athl fees w/ having those higher than normal "FCS-type" school populations; hence the disparity between budgets in the SWAC vs other conferences, incl the SLC. I look schools like SHSU and TxStU and seems to me that those are FBS schools cloaked in FCS garb. Like our local rep UNT was. xreadx

dbackjon
March 26th, 2011, 06:20 PM

Sure, UNT make only bring 2K vs 3K to a bowl game versus Grambling instead of LaTech, but Grambling would likely bring a lot more than LaTech, so it is still a positive.

TexasTerror
March 27th, 2011, 08:27 AM
Kind of like the FCS championship?

At the least the NCAA puts their backing behind the Division I national title game and it gets pretty decent TV coverage compared to most NCAA championships, compared to the CBI, WBI, CIT or SWAC Championship Game which get very limited coverage or mention.

Always was confused why the SWAC Championship Game in MBB is the only conference that does not get shown on CBS, ESPN or ESPN2. For a good deal with ESPN, you guys get the shaft during Championship Week.

Thats all it is, SWAC teams draw better.

At neutral sites... the SWAC ranks behind other conferences when it comes to home-hosted games.

GAD
March 27th, 2011, 09:52 AM

At the least the NCAA puts their backing behind the Division I national title game and it gets pretty decent TV coverage compared to most NCAA championships, compared to the CBI, WBI, CIT or SWAC Championship Game which get very limited coverage or mention.

Always was confused why the SWAC Championship Game in MBB is the only conference that does not get shown on CBS, ESPN or ESPN2. For a good deal with ESPN, you guys get the shaft during Championship Week.

At neutral sites... the SWAC ranks behind other conferences when it comes to home-hosted games.

How many SLC teams had there home attendance record set when they were playing a team from the SWAC? and how many SWAC teams had there attendance record set while hosting a team from the SLC?

Panther88
March 27th, 2011, 10:10 AM
How many SLC teams had there home attendance record set when they were playing a team from the SWAC? and how many SWAC teams had there attendance record set while hosting a team from the SLC?

When SWAC hosted SLC, zero.

However, I think there are facts and figures to support the latter where SLC hosts SWAC. Also, this is off the subject and I'm not in the mood to address "smack." Shows no capability to stay on task, #1, and #2, a lack of rational thought.

Where's GannonFan? He's objective and obviously intelligently witty. Come back GF!!!!!! xbowx

mikebigg
March 27th, 2011, 01:00 PM
The SWAC needs to drop the SWAC - MEAC challenge. I believe in Reciprocity!

TSUalum05
March 27th, 2011, 04:17 PM

You sound like a 10 year old "At least..."That still doesn't prove the fact that there's no interest in the FCS National Championship. The NCAA is putting their backing behind the game because it's an NCAA championship game. The NCAA puts more backing in Softball than they do for the D1 championship.

We get better national coverage than all other FCS conferences.

It's funny how you cannot resist the fact in bringing up other sports on a football board. But since you took it to basketball, even though our championship maybe shown on ESPU or ESPN classic, there's no reason to be confused as we still have more games on nationally than the Southland, without including our womens basketball teams playing on ESPN. I'm confused as to why they don't show any southland games on any of the ESPN networks.

I'm done, not going to get in anymore back and forth with you.

blaw0203
March 27th, 2011, 07:19 PM
The SWAC needs to drop the SWAC - MEAC challenge. I believe in Reciprocity!

That would only hurt the SWAC - not MEAC. Dont forget the boycott held by 2 MEAC teams, FAMU and BCU. The SWAC and MEAC Commissioner (Dennis Thomas) are the supporters of the MEAC/SWAC Challenge just as they were with the Legacy Bowl. Bethune Cookman is playing in the 2011 Challenge due to Commish Thomas begging BCUs president to participate because the Challenge has been empty ever since it moved to Orlando. xnodx

blaw0203
March 27th, 2011, 07:30 PM
You sound like a 10 year old "At least..."That still doesn't prove the fact that there's no interest in the FCS National Championship. The NCAA is putting their backing behind the game because it's an NCAA championship game. The NCAA puts more backing in Softball than they do for the D1 championship.

We get better national coverage than all other FCS conferences.

It's funny how you cannot resist the fact in bringing up other sports on a football board. But since you took it to basketball, even though our championship maybe shown on ESPU or ESPN classic, there's no reason to be confused as we still have more games on nationally than the Southland, without including our womens basketball teams playing on ESPN. I'm confused as to why they don't show any southland games on any of the ESPN networks.

I'm done, not going to get in anymore back and forth with you.

Yeah TSU Alum, I definitely have to agree with you on this one.

However, NCAA only halfway supports the FCS Playoffs because besides certain teams from the MEAC and SWAC, no other FCS teams have huge followings. It doesnt make sense to blow up the playoffs into a big event when the participating teams will have less than 30,000 people there. Imagine if a MEAC or SWAC team made it to the playoff championship game and how many fans would show up? The game would have to be moved to a larger venue! Now I do support the playoffs over a conference championship game and feel that the playoffs are more significant, but you cannot deny that the FCS playoffs are overlooked. Hell, FCS Football is overlooked! Besides the MEAC and SWAC, no FCS Conference has any significant notoriety. The top Attended FCS games religiously comes from the MEAC & SWAC:

Florida Classic - FAMU/BCU
Atlanta Classic - FAMU/TnSU or SU
Bayou Classic - SU/GSU
Magic City Classic - ASU/AAMU

The MEAC & SWAC has more national TV time than ANY FCS Conference. Hell, besides teams from the MEAC or SWAC, no FCS teams could fill up a 70,000 seat stadium to save their lives! MEAC and SWAC schools do it each year!

mikebigg
March 27th, 2011, 07:42 PM
That would only hurt the SWAC - not MEAC. Dont forget the boycott held by 2 MEAC teams, FAMU and BCU. The SWAC and MEAC Commissioner (Dennis Thomas) are the supporters of the MEAC/SWAC Challenge just as they were with the Legacy Bowl. Bethune Cookman is playing in the 2011 Challenge due to Commish Thomas begging BCUs president to participate because the Challenge has been empty ever since it moved to Orlando. xnodx

I disagree! I don't think it hurts the SWAC at all... The only SWAC school that normally played MEACers on the regular was SU vs FAMU. Grambling has the Port City Classic in Shreveport as one non-conference game (at least that was the intent) and the other game can become used for a "money" game.

Yall MEAC folk look after your best interest... the SWAC should stop trying to work in collaboration with yall, plain and simple.

Panther88
March 27th, 2011, 08:10 PM
Yall MEAC folk look after your best interest... the SWAC should stop trying to work in collaboration with yall, plain and simple.

+1.

xsmileyclapxxsmileyclapxxsmileyclapx

blaw0203
March 27th, 2011, 08:41 PM
I disagree! I don't think it hurts the SWAC at all... The only SWAC school that normally played MEACers on the regular was SU vs FAMU. Grambling has the Port City Classic in Shreveport as one non-conference game (at least that was the intent) and the other game can become used for a "money" game.

Actually it does hurts the SWAC. As a conference, the SWAC has positioned itself to perform outside of the realm of the NCAA and even though I dont agree with that, it still is admirable. Besides playing TSU, FAMU, and the MEAC/SWAC Challenge, the SWAC is cut off from other FCS programs.

Now as a Rattler, I support decisions that helps FAMU. You may see us MEAC and SWAC folk go at it, but please understand that we are not fooled. We know that we dont have allies in FCS outside of the SWAC. We might go at it, but at the end of the day we will ALWAYS support each other. There IS a history there. xpeacexxthumbsupx

GSUsTALON
March 28th, 2011, 10:13 AM
Actually it does hurts the SWAC. As a conference, the SWAC has positioned itself to perform outside of the realm of the NCAA and even though I dont agree with that, it still is admirable. Besides playing TSU, FAMU, and the MEAC/SWAC Challenge, the SWAC is cut off from other FCS programs.

Now as a Rattler, I support decisions that helps FAMU. You may see us MEAC and SWAC folk go at it, but please understand that we are not fooled. We know that we dont have allies in FCS outside of the SWAC. xpeacexxthumbsupx

& why is that??????????????xeyebrowx

JSU02
March 28th, 2011, 10:36 AM

I suspect it may have something to do with "the man".

blaw0203
March 28th, 2011, 02:33 PM

Ask Citdogxsmileyclapx

Panther88
March 28th, 2011, 03:12 PM

"the man" is something else JSU02. xlolx

*back to thread* lol

I haven't heard anything from any source I have one way or the other regarding plan "B-SWAC LB."

mikebigg
March 28th, 2011, 03:25 PM

Now as a Rattler, I support decisions that helps FAMU. You may see us MEAC and SWAC folk go at it, but please understand that we are not fooled. We know that we dont have allies in FCS outside of the SWAC. We might go at it, but at the end of the day we will ALWAYS support each other. There IS a history there. xpeacexxthumbsupx

Oh, I see... we should support each other as long as it benefits the MEAC. C'mon mane... we stood to make more money from the Legacy Bowl than from any season opening MEAC challenge. Still, I understand the MEAC opting for the playoffs if that's in it's best interest.

Because the SWAC does not receive a bid to those same playoffs, we look at other means of making money through the SCG and the proposed Legacy Bowl. In the same interest of making money, drop the SWAC-MEAC challenge as a mandated game and allow the teams to work their own deal and location. However, I make no bones about it... I'd (Gram) would boycott the MEAC in regular season play on general principle. Call it vindictive or whatever, but cooperation isn't a one-way street!

blaw0203
March 28th, 2011, 04:37 PM
Oh, I see... we should support each other as long as it benefits the MEAC. C'mon mane... we stood to make more money from the Legacy Bowl than from any season opening MEAC challenge. Still, I understand the MEAC opting for the playoffs if that's in it's best interest.

Because the SWAC does not receive a bid to those same playoffs, we look at other means of making money through the SCG and the proposed Legacy Bowl. In the same interest of making money, drop the SWAC-MEAC challenge as a mandated game and allow the teams to work their own deal and location. However, I make no bones about it... I'd (Gram) would boycott the MEAC in regular season play on general principle. Call it vindictive or whatever, but cooperation isn't a one-way street!

A Grambling boycott wouldnt do much - what MEAC team books a SWAC team during the regular season anyways??? The only MEAC teams even close enough to play a SWAC team is FAMU or BCU and we never do. FAMU used to play Southern but we dropped that game due to it was not profitable enough as a home-home game. Hey if you want to boycott the MEAC/SWAC Challenge i'd say join the club. FAMU and BCU has boycotted it. BCU just lifted its boycott of the game after being begged to do so.

Point blank, the MEAC Commissioner is the one the SWAC needs to be dissapointed in, not the schools. HE is the one that duped the SWAC into believing that he could persuade the schools to go along. NO MEAC SCHOOL jumped up and supported or even insinuated that they supported the Legacy Bowl. You even had the MEAC power players (FAMU,SCSU) publicly denouncing the game. Now I do see how it would benefit the SWAC, but that game would have hurt the MEAC badly! 68K is chump change to a school like FAMU, and then to require the school to pay for its own travel??? For FAMU that would easily exceed 250k; Football Team, cheerleaders, staff, band, you are looking at booking at least 400 hotel rooms, 20 charter buses, tens of thousands in per diems, etc... On top of that the conferences were to receive a payment of 750,000 - they are making money off of the schools and I have a serious problem with that!

As we have stated now and done in the past with the Heritage Bowl, if the SWAC wants to compete against the MEAC in the post season, we will do so, but teams that qualifies to play for the National Championship are to be excluded. That IS being cooperative. xbeerchugx

TSUalum05
March 28th, 2011, 07:54 PM

LMAO

TexasTerror
June 13th, 2011, 11:08 AM
PLAN B... the Legacy Bowl is likely not occurring in the short-term if the SWAC is now actively seeking bids to relocate the SWAC championship game. I have a feeling the league would not be doing this if the Legacy Bowl was coming about...

This wasn’t in the SWAC’s statement this morning, but we chatted with commissioner Duer Sharp and he confirmed it: Sharp got approval to put out bids for a possible relocation of the SWAC Championship Game. We reported on this last week as well. The game is in its last year of a contract with Birmingham.

http://blogs.clarionledger.com/jsu/2011/06/12/what-else-did-the-swac-do-last-week-here-it-is/

blaw0203
June 13th, 2011, 02:57 PM
PLAN B... the Legacy Bowl is likely not occurring in the short-term if the SWAC is now actively seeking bids to relocate the SWAC championship game. I have a feeling the league would not be doing this if the Legacy Bowl was coming about...

http://blogs.clarionledger.com/jsu/2011/06/12/what-else-did-the-swac-do-last-week-here-it-is/

I really wish someone from the SWAC could develop an ounce of common sense and cancel that ridiculously meaningless SWAC Championship Game and join the playoffs. It really is time to stop the madness!

blaw0203
June 13th, 2011, 03:01 PM

The MAN! LMAO!!! TOO FUNNY!!! Naw, you're giving "The MAN" too much credit! My intentions were more along the lines in that we MEAC'ers have a history with the SWAC unlike the rest of the programs within FCS. It would be of little benefit to us to entirely kick the SWAC too the curb when we have very little to no other viable options in setting up profitable OOC games with other FCS teams.

Jaguar79
June 14th, 2011, 03:41 PM
I really wish someone from the SWAC could develop an ounce of common sense and cancel that ridiculously meaningless SWAC Championship Game and join the playoffs. It really is time to stop the madness!

Common sense .... you mean like banging your head for 11 years straight like the MEAC, trying to say you are competing with the big boys of FCS and even when you get them at home, you get turned over like a pop tart?

Here's a question .... why don't the MEAC just force all of their teams to play TWO games against the FCS tops per year as a way of getting ready for the playoffs, since that IS the most important thing. No reason for those guarantee games since MONEY is not an issue with you guys, right?

If you are going to do the playoffs, then do it right! Stop playing us, stop playing the Miami's and South Carolina's of the world, and walk your butt into Furman, into Montana, and into wherever FCS land is, and get what you need.

But stop trying to make someone feel bad for not choosing YOUR method of business because it's not going to work. We did the playoffs .... it doesn't do what it should and many of the very schools you are sitting here agreeing with don't give a damn that you are trying to catch up to them because YOU won't.

But YOUR common sense says to xbangx .... okay, you get your helmet and get to banging.