View Full Version : Georgetown releases 2006 schedule

LBPop
February 28th, 2006, 02:48 PM
Added Marist and Charleston Southern. Would appreciate any information/insight on either of these teams. Here's the schedule:

September 2 HOLY CROSS *
September 9 STONY BROOK
September 16 at Brown
September 23 at Columbia
September 30 at Colgate *
October 7 LEHIGH *
October 14 BUCKNELL *
October 28 at Charleston Southern
November 4 MARIST
November 11 at Lafayette *
November 18 at Fordham *

Geez, that three game stretch traveling to Brown, Columbia and Colgate will be tough. Don't know if Georgetown can outscore any of them on the field, but the SAT score competition could be exciting. xlolx

Go...gate
February 28th, 2006, 03:37 PM
Looks like a good schedule; Marist really reaching out for those extra PL OOC games. Hopefully our Liberty, VMI and CCU brethren can give us some insight on Charleston. Best of luck.

Lehigh Football Nation
February 28th, 2006, 04:23 PM
Congratulations on G'Town for upgrading their schedule! Overall, all Patriot League schools have upgraded their schedules now - no more 10-game schedules and 3 mid-majors!

Hoya football continues to grow the right way.

Go Lehigh TU owl
February 28th, 2006, 04:30 PM
Congratulations on G'Town for upgrading their schedule! Overall, all Patriot League schools have upgraded their schedules now - no more 10-game schedules and 3 mid-majors!

Hoya football continues to grow the right way.

I'm not sure if upgrading their schedule is really a good idea. G-town needs to win games, they need to get over the .500 hump for the first time to keep progressing forward. After they can they get a couple 6-5 season under their belt then look to upgrade. Gtown has really struggled since they've joined the league, maybe their new coach will change that.

LBPop
February 28th, 2006, 05:16 PM
I'm not sure if upgrading their schedule is really a good idea. G-town needs to win games, they need to get over the .500 hump for the first time to keep progressing forward. After they can they get a couple 6-5 season under their belt then look to upgrade. Gtown has really struggled since they've joined the league, maybe their new coach will change that.

I could not possibly agree more about the need to win, but victories over weak teams really won't help. I can remember two years ago after I just joined AGS when Georgetown opened with a big win over St. Francis. There must have been a dozen posts criticizing the Hoyas for even scheduling them.

These kids need to step up and compete in their league. With two PL victories last season there was some improvement, but it likely was due to catching Bucknell and Fordham on down years. Don't know what impact Coach Kelly will have, but I can report that off season effort and discipline are way up. The cynic in me says that's nice to hear, but I'll wait until spring ball to see if it translates onto the field. xcoffeex

TheValleyRaider
February 28th, 2006, 05:29 PM
I like this schedule for Georgetown. It's a definite step-up from before. I like Marist being on PL schedules (although I'd also be in favor of Marist being so permanently, provided they pony up the cash for improvements). I also like the inter-sectional thing going on with G'town and CSU. And while the schedule is improved, it's not so much so that the Hoyas couldn't start to win with some consistancy in their play, something they've been lacking.

aceinthehole
February 28th, 2006, 08:45 PM
Are you guys being serious, or am I missing something here? How is this really an upgrade? What is so strong about this schedule? This is not meant to be smack, I'm just wondering how you all consider this strong.

Gtown has 2 "mid-majors," a very bad Ivy team, and a realitively weak Big South team. Don't many NEC, like Albany, have a schedule as tough or tougher?

#95 Stony Brook (6-5) 1st NEC
#15 Brown (9-1), 1st Ivy
#96 Columbia (2-8), 8th Ivy
#79 Charleston Southern (7-4), 2nd Big South
#88 Marist (7-4), 2nd MAAC

4 of the 5 OOC teams finished in the bottom 1/3 of the GPI rankings (not to mention 2 PL foes Bucknell and Fordham).

Lehigh Football Nation
February 28th, 2006, 09:01 PM
Stony Brook (6-5) NEC co-champs
Brown (9-1) Ivy champs
Columbia (2-8) last-place Ivy
Charleston Southern (7-4), Big South champs
Marist (7-4), 2nd in MAAC

Looks pretty good to me?

LBPop
February 28th, 2006, 09:38 PM
#95 Stony Brook (6-5) 1st NEC
#15 Brown (9-1), 1st Ivy
#96 Columbia (2-8), 8th Ivy
#79 Charleston Southern (7-4), 2nd Big South
#88 Marist (7-4), 2nd MAAC

Sure, some of these teams are not juggernauts, but for some perspective, here's a list of the people that Georgetown has played the past two years who are no longer on their schedule--no offense intended (after all, how can a Hoya fan diss any other I-AA team?): VMI, Duquesne, Davidson & St. Francis. And they didn't always win those games.

If you consider the list above and then add in the big three of the PL, it's a nice schedule. This program has to move in steps. Improving the stadium, improving the schedule, new coaching staff, etc. are all among those steps. But as has been said many times...if they don't win, all this other stuff is just conversation.

ngineer
February 28th, 2006, 10:15 PM
Added Marist and Charleston Southern. Would appreciate any information/insight on either of these teams. Here's the schedule:

September 2 HOLY CROSS *
September 9 STONY BROOK
September 16 at Brown
September 23 at Columbia
October 7 LEHIGH *
October 14 BUCKNELL *
November 4 MARIST
November 18 at Fordham *

Geez, that three game stretch traveling to Brown, Columbia and Colgate will be tough. Don't know if Georgetown can outscore any of them on the field, but the SAT score competition could be exciting. xlolx

You should beat Marist. Lafayette toyed with them over the past couple years. I see potentially 5-6 wins: SBU, Columbia,Bucknell,CSU,Marist and Fordham
Thinking of making the trip on October 7, Wife has good friends in DC area so we may make it a weekend--if we can find a dog sitter.:)

February 28th, 2006, 11:16 PM

September 2 HOLY CROSS *
September 9 STONY BROOK
September 16 at Brown
September 23 at Columbia
October 7 LEHIGH *
October 14 BUCKNELL *
November 4 MARIST
November 18 at Fordham *

Link?

DFW HOYA
March 1st, 2006, 06:16 AM
http://guhoyas.collegesports.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/022806aak.html

LBPop
March 1st, 2006, 08:24 AM
Thinking of making the trip on October 7, Wife has good friends in DC area so we may make it a weekend--if we can find a dog sitter.:)

Great idea. Send me a PM when you know for sure. If you have a chance to speak with your new coach, please remind him that it's not good etiquette to embarrass your hosts. :D

maacfb
March 1st, 2006, 10:47 AM
obviously Lafayette has whooped Marist the last few years but they were also a playoff caliber team which Georgetown is not. another thing is Marist really progressed this year as the season wore on beating Stony Brook and CCSU who tied for the NEC title. as a marist grad Im happy to see Georgetown on the schedule as whenever we played it was typically a hard fought game. I still remember JJ Mont's massive comeback in Poughkeepsie in 1999.

Lafalumni29
March 1st, 2006, 03:00 PM
You should beat Marist. Lafayette toyed with them over the past couple years. I see potentially 5-6 wins: SBU, Columbia,Bucknell,CSU,Marist and Fordham
FYI, I know that Lafayette lost a top receiver recruit to Stony Brook this year. Don't ask me the name though. I'm sure a few of the more informed posters here could tell you. The addition of scholarships will help this team over the next few years. Great facilities too.

LBPop
March 1st, 2006, 04:38 PM
Great facilities too.

Amen to that. Had a chance to visit last fall and I was impressed--actually a bit jealous. With scholarships and those facilities, that program has a real future.

colgate13
March 1st, 2006, 07:53 PM
FYI, I know that Lafayette lost a top receiver recruit to Stony Brook this year.

Colgate lost a linebacker to Albany.

The NEC will make waves in the near future IMO. I don't think they're unseating the top of the PL, but they will shake that mid-major moniker in 2-3 years at the most.