PDA

View Full Version : UCSB Launches Bring Back Guacho Football!!!!

bringback49erfootball
March 4th, 2011, 10:01 PM
UCSB Launches Bring Back Guacho Football!!!!

(http://bringback49erfootball.blogspot.com/2011/03/ucsb-launches-bring-back-guacho.html)

JMUNJ08
March 4th, 2011, 11:41 PM
Like most of the FCS current members, we wish you luck! But how are like 8 new FCS Cali schools going to work???

bojeta
March 5th, 2011, 03:25 AM
I've been discussing this for some time now. I believe that UCSB has an excellent opportunity to bring back football right now. They would have kept it in `92 if the NCAA hadn't forced them to move to DI before they were ready. Now, a move to DI FCS makes sense in light of the new Big Sky Conference situation. UCSB could join as the 14th team. They have an excellent stadium which I believe would be 3rd or 4th in capacity for the Big Sky and it can easily be expanded to over 30,000 if warranted. This would give UCSB time to see if the rest of the Big West can bring back their programs or just stay in the Big Sky if that doesn't pan out.
I'm fully aware of all the financial commitments including Title IX. The biggest cost up front is a stadium and they've already got it! In fact, it is going through and upgrade based on the soccer team's performance.

Jimmer
March 5th, 2011, 04:34 PM
I've been discussing this for some time now. I believe that UCSB has an excellent opportunity to bring back football right now. They would have kept it in `92 if the NCAA hadn't forced them to move to DI before they were ready. Now, a move to DI FCS makes sense in light of the new Big Sky Conference situation. UCSB could join as the 14th team. They have an excellent stadium which I believe would be 3rd or 4th in capacity for the Big Sky and it can easily be expanded to over 30,000 if warranted. This would give UCSB time to see if the rest of the Big West can bring back their programs or just stay in the Big Sky if that doesn't pan out.
I'm fully aware of all the financial commitments including Title IX. The biggest cost up front is a stadium and they've already got it! In fact, it is going through and upgrade based on the soccer team's performance.

They also have proximity to a successful D1AA program in Cal Poly.

BlackNGoldR3v0lut10n
March 5th, 2011, 07:47 PM

Or UCSB with a few other newbie FCS programs in CA could put together another western FCS league that could entice existing FCS programs in CA to join.

slostang
March 5th, 2011, 10:39 PM
Buck the Guachos. xwhistlex

Go Poly.

Sec310
March 6th, 2011, 12:42 AM
Who cares? Until or unless, UCSB gets a football referendum on the ballot or they find a sugardaddy, it's all BS.

The referendum at LB was the first, for any CA school that dropped/never had football.

bojeta
March 6th, 2011, 03:41 PM
Buck the Guachos. xwhistlex

Go Poly.

UCSB bringing back football could be a great boost to Cal Poly football. I'm a Cal Poly alumnus and huge fan of CP football. To have a local rivalry like this would fantastic!!! Not only would it increase the local games each year, but the fan participation, tailgating etc. that would result would be a boom economically and increase interest in both school's programs. More CA high school talent would become knowledgeable about and interesting in joining the programs! Not to try and sound like Charlie Sheen, but this is a WIN WIN situation.

bojeta
March 6th, 2011, 03:49 PM
Who cares? Until or unless, UCSB gets a football referendum on the ballot or they find a sugardaddy, it's all BS.

The referendum at LB was the first, for any CA school that dropped/never had football.

Most people I've spoken with would love to see football brought back to any of these schools. If Long Beach brings it back first, YAHOO!! "BS" is small thinking. If it is the right thing to do, you put forth the effort and sometimes you win. If not, you try again. NOW is the time to start taking action and people are. I applaud the positive thinkers.
"We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams..." Willy Wonka quoting Edward Bulwer-Lytton

slostang
March 6th, 2011, 09:41 PM
UCSB bringing back football could be a great boost to Cal Poly football. I'm a Cal Poly alumnus and huge fan of CP football. To have a local rivalry like this would fantastic!!! Not only would it increase the local games each year, but the fan participation, tailgating etc. that would result would be a boom economically and increase interest in both school's programs. More CA high school talent would become knowledgeable about and interesting in joining the programs! Not to try and sound like Charlie Sheen, but this is a WIN WIN situation.

I know. I am just having some fun. Would love to beat UCSB in football every year.

bojeta
March 7th, 2011, 12:36 AM
I know. I am just having some fun. Would love to beat UCSB in football every year.

Amen! xnodx

daneboy
March 7th, 2011, 06:00 AM
It ain't gonna happen....no way...these people would never lower themselves to support a football program...it doesn't pass their political correctness test...xbawlingxxbawlingxxbawlingxxbawlingxxbawlin gxxbawlingx

bringback49erfootball
March 7th, 2011, 09:21 AM

CSULB, CSUN, and CSUF are proposing creating 3 new womens sports to account for title 9. We used the Georgia State Plan and formulated the "CSULB Model" on football reinstatement.

bojeta
March 7th, 2011, 06:31 PM
CSULB, CSUN, and CSUF are proposing creating 3 new womens sports to account for title 9. We used the Georgia State Plan and formulated the "CSULB Model" on football reinstatement.

I continue to be impressed with your efforts!! I checked out the comments from the nay sayers and they are typical to say the least. Always referring to total sports budgets and net losses without breaking it down by each sport. One has to wonder how much research they did beyond a Google search. I certainly haven't checked CSULB's annual report so I won't try and fake it. I will say this; if you're going to quote financial figures, then back them up with relevant disaggregated data. Did football cause the deficit? Did football generate a profit which was then overspent by other sports? Without that sort of information, their arguments are meaningless.
Keep up the fight!! You're doing the right thing!!!

Sec310
March 7th, 2011, 06:46 PM
It's the same guy who created the Bring Back Football at LB, who created the Bring Back Football at Cal Santa Barbara.

No links to any sites or blogs for the Santa Barbara football.

Will you guys shut up, when the LB vote fails?

bojeta
March 7th, 2011, 07:27 PM
It's the same guy who created the Bring Back Football at LB, who created the Bring Back Football at Cal Santa Barbara.

First, I began the discussion on bringing back UCSB football months ago. I have been promoting the idea on a variety of forums including Santa Barbara and UCSB publications. Secondly, though bringback49football posted the initial comments in this particular thread, he is focused on LBSU football and not UCSB. 3rd. NO! I won't shut up. I believe passionately in the revival of UCSB football and will continue my efforts regardless of the short term results we may or may not see. This is an FCS discussion forum and bringing back programs is or should be of particular interest to anyone following the FCS. History is littered with quotes from nay sayers about why things can't or should not be done. They are almost universally looked at with amazement and amusement in hind sight. There are some who feel they have a vested interest in programs not being brought back. A friend of mine fears that the UCSB soccer team will lose its following if football is brought back. Ludicrous! As if Gaucho fans are saying "No! Stop! We have too many reasons to party already!" xlolx Evidence shows that football programs have the effect of increasing attendance at other sports. I was there in 66, 87 and 92. I know what went down and that it can and should be brought back.

"We are the makers of music and the dreamers of dreams"

Jimmer
March 8th, 2011, 12:29 AM

To quote Pete Carrol "What's your deal?".
Most people realize it is not going to happen immediately, but to act like it is impossible makes no sense. CSUN tried it not to long ago, CSUS plays football, Davis and Poly play football, why do you act like it is an impossibility? If Long Beach has a higher budget than CP (which it does) , then the issue is the leadership, not the economics of it.

Sec310
March 8th, 2011, 12:31 AM
First, I began the discussion on bringing back UCSB football months ago. I have been promoting the idea on a variety of forums including Santa Barbara and UCSB publications. Secondly, though bringback49football posted the initial comments in this particular thread, he is focused on LBSU football and not UCSB. 3rd. NO! I won't shut up. I believe passionately in the revival of UCSB football and will continue my efforts regardless of the short term results we may or may not see. This is an FCS discussion forum and bringing back programs is or should be of particular interest to anyone following the FCS. History is littered with quotes from nay sayers about why things can't or should not be done. They are almost universally looked at with amazement and amusement in hind sight. There are some who feel they have a vested interest in programs not being brought back. A friend of mine fears that the UCSB soccer team will lose its following if football is brought back. Ludicrous! As if Gaucho fans are saying "No! Stop! We have too many reasons to party already!" xlolx Evidence shows that football programs have the effect of increasing attendance at other sports. I was there in 66, 87 and 92. I know what went down and that it can and should be brought back.

"We are the makers of music and the dreamers of dreams"

The lack of football has made Cal Santa Barbara a soccer power. They have had sold out stadiums for soccer games, won a national championship and went to the final game, all without a football team.

Did football ever sell out? No. The best thing Cal Santa Barbara football gave to the football world was that QB Barnes who led UCLA to a victory over USC, after Cal Santa Barbara dropped football.

bojeta
March 8th, 2011, 01:23 AM
The lack of football has made Cal Santa Barbara a soccer power. They have had sold out stadiums for soccer games, won a national championship and went to the final game, all without a football team.

Did football ever sell out? No. The best thing Cal Santa Barbara football gave to the football world was that QB Barnes who led UCLA to a victory over USC, after Cal Santa Barbara dropped football.

UCSB's success in soccer is NOT the result of not having a football team. Where's the logic in that? If you were correct, we should consider scrapping baseball, basketball, water polo, track & field. Heck we would be guaranteed national soccer titles every year for eternity!!! No, they succeeded in soccer because Santa Barbara has been a soccer talent rich community for.... hmmm... about the last 50 years!! It attracts international players to compliment the local talent because of the obvious in the the attached image along with outstanding academics. Were you around back in the 60's? I was and yes, they did sell out games. Oh... soccer's record attendance was not a sellout. Very good! Just not a sell out. I repeat... A football program will HELP soccer sell more tickets. I applaud the soccer program. It's fantastic and I wish it many more years of success. Are people really that one dimensional that they cannot enjoy both soccer and football? I don't think so. At least not the majority of us. This is not a competition between the programs. It's mutually beneficial. http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v455/bojeta/Graphics%20Projects/UCSB-from-air.jpg

Sec310
March 8th, 2011, 12:04 PM
UCSB's success in soccer is NOT the result of not having a football team. Where's the logic in that? If you were correct, we should consider scrapping baseball, basketball, water polo, track & field. Heck we would be guaranteed national soccer titles every year for eternity!!! No, they succeeded in soccer because Santa Barbara has been a soccer talent rich community for.... hmmm... about the last 50 years!! It attracts international players to compliment the local talent because of the obvious in the the attached image along with outstanding academics. Were you around back in the 60's? I was and yes, they did sell out games. Oh... soccer's record attendance was not a sellout. Very good! Just not a sell out. I repeat... A football program will HELP soccer sell more tickets. I applaud the soccer program. It's fantastic and I wish it many more years of success. Are people really that one dimensional that they cannot enjoy both soccer and football? I don't think so. At least not the majority of us. This is not a competition between the programs. It's mutually beneficial. http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v455/bojeta/Graphics%20Projects/UCSB-from-air.jpg

When Cal Santa Barbara had soccer AND football, did soccer ever sell out? No. Did soccer ever win a national championship? No. Did soccer even win their conference? No.

So during the time of football, soccer didn't win anything. But, without football soccer becomes a power. Only you don't see that logic.

bojeta
March 8th, 2011, 05:23 PM
When Cal Santa Barbara had soccer AND football, did soccer ever sell out? No. Did soccer ever win a national championship? No. Did soccer even win their conference? No.

So during the time of football, soccer didn't win anything. But, without football soccer becomes a power. Only you don't see that logic.

This is hysterical! Unfortunately, I'm sure it's not only you that does see that logic xlolx

Reminds me of a lesson one of my Economics instructors gave about the statistical evidence that pickles cause war. It goes basically like this: It can be easily proven that nearly every combatant in war has eaten pickles and that nearly every soldier killed had eaten pickles at least once in his life and so on and so on.... xlolx

So, I guess you're right! Lets forget about the 30 years in between cutting football and the eventual national soccer title. Oh! I guess that's proof that it takes a combination of cutting football and waiting 30 years xrotatehxxlolx

bojeta
March 8th, 2011, 06:01 PM
This post is for Sec310.

I thought I'd do a little research on your posts to see what you MO is. Apparently it is to play the role of Captain Negative. Whatever the topic, you're there to bash whoever posted it and try and tear it down. You never seem to really do your homework though. Your posts reflect quick Google searches when you check at all. Less than 50% truth in anything you say because, if it's not a headline, you don't read it. Your accusation regarding the use of the nickname Fighting Sioux is a perfect example. You took an immediate adversarial position without bothering to read the many articles in which the Sioux Nation actually supports the name; that they took a vote of the tribal members and approved it because they understand that the name is used with the utmost respect for the Sioux people and the image was created with impeccable taste and artistry. Anyone can throw out insults and negativity. It takes a true scholar and a decent human being to put forth the effort, do the research and take positive steps toward accomplishing something of value. If, in the end, the Fighting Sioux name is lost, Long Beach, UCSB and others do not bring back football or any of the other noble causes you rail against are defeated (temporarily), those who have fought to preserve and protect, to advance a good and noble cause, will hold their head high. What will you do? Really?

BTW... Here's a picture from a football game I had the pleasure of attending at UCSB. Probably before you born I'm guessing as you seem to know nothing about the true history of football at UCSB. I also remember this picture hanging in the classroom of my HS drafting teacher, Pops "Scooter" Morelli, a member of the UCSB Athletic Hall of Fame for his performance as a UCSB Football player. Great man!http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v455/bojeta/Graphics%20Projects/Harder-earlydays.jpg
Ya... we packed `em in just fine, thank you!

sikolec
March 8th, 2011, 06:56 PM
As much as I would love to see UCSB, Long Beach, Fullerton, Northridge, and even more California schools start up football programs again, I fear it is on the slimest of slim chances. As California schools continue to struggle with budgets, it just seems unlikely that this will ever happen. I do think that if one of the above schools mentioned does make the break through, it will open the doors to the other schools and we may just see this "California conference" aka the Big West with football. I would love to see it, I just don't hold out much hope.

I mean who wouldn't love it to see the intensity of the UCSB - Cal Poly soccer games (if you've gone to a game at either school you know what I'm talking about) brought over to the football field. The intensity and anticipation for such match-up is unreal. Yeah the UC Davis - Cal Poly football rivalry is one thing, but the UCSB - Cal Poly soccer rivalry is in a whole other realm.

This soccer rivarly has seen sell-out crowds (at the football stadium) and nationally televised games...for college soccer. This rivalry has produced 5 of the top 15 all-time NCAA largest crowds (excluding NCAA tourney) in the past 5 years. 5 of those other top 15 matchups came from the 70s and 80s. Imagine if this translated to football games...epic is one word that comes to mind.

bojeta
March 8th, 2011, 08:07 PM
As much as I would love to see UCSB, Long Beach, Fullerton, Northridge, and even more California schools start up football programs again, I fear it is on the slimest of slim chances. As California schools continue to struggle with budgets, it just seems unlikely that this will ever happen. I do think that if one of the above schools mentioned does make the break through, it will open the doors to the other schools and we may just see this "California conference" aka the Big West with football. I would love to see it, I just don't hold out much hope.

I mean who wouldn't love it to see the intensity of the UCSB - Cal Poly soccer games (if you've gone to a game at either school you know what I'm talking about) brought over to the football field. The intensity and anticipation for such match-up is unreal. Yeah the UC Davis - Cal Poly football rivalry is one thing, but the UCSB - Cal Poly soccer rivalry is in a whole other realm.

This soccer rivarly has seen sell-out crowds (at the football stadium) and nationally televised games...for college soccer. This rivalry has produced 5 of the top 15 all-time NCAA largest crowds (excluding NCAA tourney) in the past 5 years. 5 of those other top 15 matchups came from the 70s and 80s. Imagine if this translated to football games...epic is one word that comes to mind.

And your thoughtful skepticism is absolutely fine! I have no problem with anyone stating their point of view and the potential problems they see. I disagree that it would hurt soccer. I think it would help an already fantastic program. The budget is a serious issue and it's going to take a commitment on the part of current students and alumni alike to make it fly. I think it can. It will definitely be a tough sell and that's why others and myself are trying to get information out there.
I expect for people to raise concerns. It's just that I noticed Sec310's sole purpose is to be a pain in the rear. Not gonna waste any more time with him/her.

401ks
March 8th, 2011, 11:08 PM
It's just that I noticed Sec310's sole purpose is to be a pain in the rear. Not gonna waste any more time with him/her.

xprost2x

Jimmer
March 10th, 2011, 02:25 AM
Sec310 is saying the real reason why most CA schools don't have football. Politics within the athletic departments and universities. Politics is the "process of deciding who gets what, when, and how" and SEC310 is more concerned with UCSB's soccer program than with UCSB having a football program.

That sucks by the way. Soccer is like the olympics, cool to watch every 4 years. But I can only watch them futilely kick that ball around that huge field for so long.

bojeta
March 10th, 2011, 10:26 PM
Sec310 is saying the real reason why most CA schools don't have football. Politics within the athletic departments and universities. Politics is the "process of deciding who gets what, when, and how" and SEC310 is more concerned with UCSB's soccer program than with UCSB having a football program.

That sucks by the way. Soccer is like the olympics, cool to watch every 4 years. But I can only watch them futilely kick that ball around that huge field for so long.

Ya, I've got soccer fans in my family. Mainly my daughter and my brother-in-law who was part of Santa Barbara High's CIF championship team years ago. Hey, like you, I enjoy it once in awhile and I wish them success. Just don't understand all the hate towards football coming from the soccer fans.

App-a-latch-un
March 11th, 2011, 11:30 PM
What exactly is going one here, is it a baseball stadium?

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-i0nQ4eMekec/TXGnwyVejUI/AAAAAAAAAFM/yQlp11d2vAE/s1600/hardergfund.jpg

bojeta
March 12th, 2011, 01:26 AM
What exactly is going one here, is it a baseball stadium?

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-i0nQ4eMekec/TXGnwyVejUI/AAAAAAAAAFM/yQlp11d2vAE/s1600/hardergfund.jpg

Poorly prepared facsimile of Harder Stadium. The stadium was in stage II of a multi-stage development when the program was cut after the 1971 season, just five years after the initial construction. Eventually, it would have been a complete oval stadium. These images show its current layout better. Although the same basic shape, the scale and alignment make more sense.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v455/bojeta/College%20Sports/UCSBtop.jpg http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v455/bojeta/College%20Sports/ucsbstands2.jpg