PDA

View Full Version : UNH sched. error

smcwildcat
February 26th, 2011, 07:03 PM
cannot believe the cats host central state in first home opener....this is gonne kill us

R3TRO
February 26th, 2011, 08:31 PM
Yes.. makes me upset.

NHwildEcat
February 26th, 2011, 09:08 PM
Not worth the trip to Durham...

Tribe4SF
February 27th, 2011, 01:56 AM
Welcome to the club. W&M's home opener is against New Haven.

Not sure how two CAA contenders allow this to happen, but our ADs should be explaining.

Brad82
February 27th, 2011, 07:48 AM
New Haven beat Villanova when Darren Rizzi was coach.
May have been when Brian Westbrook played?

NHwildEcat
February 27th, 2011, 07:58 AM
Welcome to the club. W&M's home opener is against New Haven.

Not sure how two CAA contenders allow this to happen, but our ADs should be explaining.

I hear ya! My biggest problem is why, if we have to be relegated to playing a D2 school, that it has to be one from Ohio when they could have played one from the NE-10 since its right in our back yard. Now we have to pay for this school I have never heard of to come to Durham, while if we had played a Merrimack or a St. Anselm we would not have to worry about the travel costs.

That is my biggest problem with it. Also, Holy Cross had an open date...what the hell.

UNHFan
February 27th, 2011, 11:21 AM
I hear ya! My biggest problem is why, if we have to be relegated to playing a D2 school, that it has to be one from Ohio when they could have played one from the NE-10 since its right in our back yard. Now we have to pay for this school I have never heard of to come to Durham, while if we had played a Merrimack or a St. Anselm we would not have to worry about the travel costs.

That is my biggest problem with it. Also, Holy Cross had an open date...what the hell.

I agree with everybody's point here.... But!! Coach Mac I believe is doing this for future recruiting. We will be in Ohio against Toledo and win (I hope) and Trounce Central (Ohio) State (I hope) And next year UNH walks into Ohio HS's with a serious shot at some of the amazing talent that comes from that area... just my opinion.

And the Holy Cross comment.. Wow I agree 100% Not sure why this game hasn't happened. Holy Cross hasn't sold out a game since the Mark Duffner era.. I love that stadium and I would be able to fill my own bus with fans for that game. It would sell out I am sure..(26,000 Capacity)) tickets sales,parking,concessions and NESN or ComcastNE rights each school would easily clear 75/100K or more each...not profit but revenue (Again my opinion) UNH wont make 5K profit on the Central State game

Tribe4SF
February 27th, 2011, 11:26 AM
I don't want to hear a word from you guys about our worthless series with West Chester this year. Haha. xlolx

Believe me, you won't. Saddest part is that with W&M, UD and UNH all playing a D-II, this could well be the year that one, or more of us is kept out of the playoffs because of it. Have to go 7-3 against Div I to even be considered, and playing an FBS leaves a razor thin margin for error.

Jackman
February 27th, 2011, 01:16 PM
If Nova and UMass lead the CAA but are ineligible due to declaring for FBS, and there's enough parity in the conference to keep all 3 of UD, W&M and UNH below 7 Division I wins due to scheduling D2 opponents, the CAA could theoretically become a 1 bid conference in a 20 team playoff.

(Richmond better bid for a home game.)

WestCoastAggie
February 27th, 2011, 03:06 PM
Is this the Central State out of Ohio?

I mean, you all can certainly buy them out and call up A&T for a game, right??? We don't have a game Labor Day weekend yet.

NHwildEcat
February 27th, 2011, 03:19 PM
Is this the Central State out of Ohio?

I mean, you all can certainly buy them out and call up A&T for a game, right??? We don't have a game Labor Day weekend yet.

They are out of Ohio...

...we are @ Toledo for Labor Day weekend!

Lehigh Football Nation
February 27th, 2011, 06:53 PM
No offense to either school, but wouldn't Holy Cross (UNH) and Georgetown (W&M) have made a lot more sense? I find it hard to understand why UNH and William & Mary didn't think to call Patriot League schools instead of New Haven and/or Central State.

What happened to Holy Cross playing at UNH? I had solid information that that was going to be a done deal.

Tribe4SF
February 27th, 2011, 07:16 PM
No offense to either school, but wouldn't Holy Cross (UNH) and Georgetown (W&M) have made a lot more sense? I find it hard to understand why UNH and William & Mary didn't think to call Patriot League schools instead of New Haven and/or Central State.

What happened to Holy Cross playing at UNH? I had solid information that that was going to be a done deal.

I couldn't agree more. There has been no explanation from our AD.

cmaxwellgsu
February 27th, 2011, 09:28 PM
Thanks to the new kids in Atlanta breaking contracts, we lose an FCS game and now opening up with a D2. It sucks, especially with that Alabama game looming late in the year.

NHwildEcat
February 28th, 2011, 05:51 AM

I'm not sure what happened with Holy Cross...I too believed the game was all set...then all of a sudden the school releases its schedule and no Holy Cross. It's too bad, I would have liked that game.

I still think UNH will beat Toledo, so I don't know how big a factor this will play in a potential tournament trip...I suppose time will tell.

WestCoastAggie
February 28th, 2011, 02:21 PM
They are out of Ohio...

...we are @ Toledo for Labor Day weekend!

We also have open dates on Sept 17th and 24th. I think your AD and ours can work something out.

Franks Tanks
February 28th, 2011, 03:00 PM
I read a comment on the Holy Cross board that there was a disgareement on home games. Something to the effect that Holy Cross wanted the series to start at Fitton?

UNH_Alum_In_CT
February 28th, 2011, 04:46 PM

Not sure where you got your info, but someone who gets the print copy of the Manchester (NH) Union Leader told me it was reported that there were no discussions between UNH and Holy Cross.

I've heard through the grapevine that UNH had to have a home game on 9/17. I don't think Holy Cross has an opening that day. Hasn't that Harvard game been on the Ivy League web site since some time last season? To me, that says there was no reason for UNH to contact HC. According to the NH newspaper report, I assume there was no contact by HC about a 10/1 game. Not sure how this game ever got the "done deal" status on this forum? xchinscratchx

Don't bother asking why the game had to be 9/17 because I can't really explain that in any way that would satisfy you. It was just a reality that had to be dealt with.

Lehigh Football Nation
February 28th, 2011, 08:10 PM
Understood. It could be that it was as simple as UNH wanted a home game while the weather is still good, and waiting until 10/1 wouldn't do. UNH and Holy Cross both had an open date on 10/1, not 9/24.

That and it made way too much sense for both teams to play. How is it possible that UNH and Holy Cross haven't played each other once since 1984?

Sader87
March 1st, 2011, 10:07 AM
Understood. It could be that it was as simple as UNH wanted a home game while the weather is still good, and waiting until 10/1 wouldn't do. UNH and Holy Cross both had an open date on 10/1, not 9/24.

That and it made way too much sense for both teams to play. How is it possible that UNH and Holy Cross haven't played each other once since 1984?

Umm, maybe because we joined the freakin' PL?

aceinthehole
March 1st, 2011, 10:51 AM
Umm, maybe because we joined the freakin' PL?

BS!

Holy Cross can schedule up to 5 non-conference games per year.

Since 1996, HC has scheduled just 7 CAA games (UD, NU 2x, Umass 4x). HC had more than 75 non-conf games to schedule, yet less than 10% were against full-scholly CAA teams.

You haven't played URI since 1988, or Maine or UNH since 1984.

Yet you have played Fairfield, Marist, Sacred Heart, and San Diego each TWICE since 1996!

The evdience suggestes HC choses not to schedule games against regional public universities (not named UMass) with scholarships. This has nothing to do with PL memebership. Holy Cross can easily get games with UNH, Maine, URI, CCSU, Albany, Stony Brook, etc. if they wanted to. CCSU has called Worcester multiple times and no one answers the phone. I have no doubt that UNH and the others have had the same response.

Franks Tanks
March 1st, 2011, 11:04 AM
BS!

Holy Cross can schedule up to 5 non-conference games per year.

Since 1996, HC has scheduled just 7 CAA games (UD, NU 2x, Umass 4x). HC had more than 75 non-conf games to schedule, yet less than 10% were against full-scholly CAA teams.

You haven't played URI since 1988, or Maine or UNH since 1984.

Yet you have played Fairfield, Marist, Sacred Heart, and San Diego each TWICE since 1996!

The evdience suggestes HC choses not to schedule games against regional public universities (not named UMass) with scholarships. This has nothing to do with PL memebership. Holy Cross can easily get games with UNH, Maine, URI, CCSU, Albany, Stony Brook, etc. if they wanted to. CCSU has called Worcester multiple times and no one answers the phone. I have no doubt that UNH and the others have had the same response.

Seriously Sader needs help. Lehigh is in the middle of a 2 game series with UNH. They have also played Nova many times over the last few years. Lafayette is playing NDSU, Colgate just played Furman and Syracuse, and even Bucknell has played Richmond and Nova recently.

No reason why Holy Cross can't play UNH or anyone else they want in FCS.

Lehigh Football Nation
March 1st, 2011, 11:34 AM
Seriously Sader needs help. Lehigh is in the middle of a 2 game series with UNH. They have also played Nova many times over the last few years. Lafayette is playing NDSU, Colgate just played Furman and Syracuse, and even Bucknell has played Richmond and Nova recently.

No reason why Holy Cross can't play UNH or anyone else they want in FCS.

And when you add Albany, Monmouth and CCSU to the mix... Lehigh has played all three in the last five years. Colgate has played Monmouth and Albany, Fordham has played Albany and has a recurring series with URI... You can also add Towson to the list, too, as Colgate has played them multiple times as well.

It's just a real head-scratcher as to why this hasn't happened more recently than 1984. As mentioned, Holy Cross has played UMass a bunch of times and Delaware once. UMass makes sense as a possible "regional rival", but then again, couldn't UNH (or URI, or maybe even Maine) be one just as easily?

I'm not saying that this would be an every-year occurrence or would become a storied rivalry overnight, but it's awful easy to picture UNH fans coming to Fitton and Cross fans making a trip to Durham. You'd think that both schools would want to encourage more fans to come to their games.

Not one friggin' open date in common in 27 years? Well, they had one this year, but neither side must have wanted it to happen.

ccd494
March 1st, 2011, 11:40 AM
I for one would rather play Holy Cross than the annual mini-NEC schedule Maine plays. Albany makes sense because it is an America East rival, but Monmouth keeps popping up for some reason. This year Maine is playing Bryant.

Franks Tanks
March 1st, 2011, 11:51 AM
I for one would rather play Holy Cross than the annual mini-NEC schedule Maine plays. Albany makes sense because it is an America East rival, but Monmouth keeps popping up for some reason. This year Maine is playing Bryant.

I'm sure Maine and UNH have many alums in the Boston area, and it is probably easier for them to get to Fitton. if Holy Cross wanted to play the Old Yankee conference teams on a regular basis they certainly can.

aceinthehole
March 1st, 2011, 12:16 PM

Of course, we'd all (Maine, UNH, CCSU, URI) love to play Holy Cross. Its a winnable game and the bus ride for these teams (except Maine) doesn't require an overnight stay. I bet we've all asked for the game and probably even offered to start a serise in Worcester. But the fact remains, HC doesn't want to play those game.

No offense to Lehigh and Colgate, becasue both are good PL programs, but of course CCSU would prefer to drive 60 miles down I-84 and collect a paycheck and a win, rather than spend an overnight in Hamilton or Bethlehem.

--
Yes, how come Maine is playing Monmouth and Bryant instead of CCSU? Since 2000 we've played UMass, UNH, and URI each twice, but Maine just once. I'd really love to see the Blue Devils and Black Bears start up a home/home deal starting next year.

Sader87
March 1st, 2011, 09:53 PM
Central Connecticut is small potatoes...why would we schedule them?

UAalum72
March 2nd, 2011, 12:55 PM
Central Connecticut is small potatoes...why would we schedule them?
Because this thread has shown you refuse to play the big potatoes...and after all it's a chance for you to get a win against a team from a higher-ranked league.

UNHFootballAlum
March 2nd, 2011, 03:52 PM

That 1984 game was a great game. I just happened to have played in it