PDA

View Full Version : The "Official" 2011 HBCU Signing Class Ranking

Pitbull
February 20th, 2011, 04:20 PM
#22 North Carolina A&T State University (0.0 points)
Signees: 0
Biggest Grab: N/A
Sleeper: N/A
One that got away: Michael Jones OL 6-5, 280 Westover Senior HS, Fayetteville, NC ** signed w/ East Carolina
Early impact: N/A
2010 HBCU Ranking: #1
2010 SWAC Ranking: #1

Comments:
I can’t say that the curse of Bill Hayes is genuine or not, but if you look at what has happened to the once proud North Carolina Agricultural and Technical State University football program. I don’t think you would have many who disagree with its so called affect. After setting a record for recruiting prowess in 2010, the Aggie’s find themselves on the other end of the spectrum in 2011 and there’s plenty of blame to spread around for there swift demise. True, the Aggies have limited scholarships available. Yet, the administration took far too long to get a coaching staff together before signing day. Honestly, I do not think it would have made any difference due to the current prestige of the program. However, I will say that A&T did get the process right by hiring Broadway and I project that many Aggie fans will have amnesia concerning the 2011 class after the neon light shine bright on Broadway and his accomplishments in Aggieland.

Grade: F-

#21 Howard University (10.3 points)
Signees: 2
Biggest Grab: D.J. Tyson RB 5-9, 172 Grovetown HS, Grovetown, GA ***
Sleeper: John Smith III TE/OL/DL 6-8, 240 North Cobb HS, Kennesaw, GA
One that got away: Nathaniel Clarke OL 6-4, 282 Archbishop Carroll HS, Washington, DC *** Signed w/ Maryland
Early impact: D.J. Tyson RB 5-9, 172 Grovetown HS, Grovetown, GA ***
2010 HBCU Ranking: #17
2010 MEAC Ranking: #9

Comments:
I have no fear that Coach Flea Harrell will give his all to make Howard respectable again. Yet, I fear that the Bison have fallen too far to come back in under a decade. This class could go a long in determining the immediate future of the “Real HU”. Candidly, I can’t comprehend why Howard isn’t the premier institution on athletically as it is academically. I realize that the university is above the Mason- Dixson line and football isn’t revered, but why not Basketball? I’m not sold by this united athletic front in the nation’s capital. Nevertheless, if the HU administration doesn’t see the winds of change taking place in the conference, it will be more than Bison pasties hitting the fan. Sad to say but it will the herds opportunity to win will be gone with the wind.

Grade: F

#20 Delaware State University (15.9 points)
Signees: 3
Biggest Grab: Antonio Hale ATH 5-9, 154 Westlake HS, Waldorf, MD **
Sleeper: Quadir Bryant RB 5-11, 170 Lake Forest HS, Felton, DE
One that got away: Sherrod Baltimore ATH 5-10, 160 Friendly HS, Fort Washington, MD ** signed w/ Maine
Early impact: Elbie Williams LB 6-1, 223 DeMatha Catholic HS, Hyattsville, MD **
2010 HBCU Ranking: #13
2010 MEAC Ranking: #7

Comments:
Kermit and the rest of the Dover Muppets are no longer a laughing matter when it comes to recruiting. True DSU only has three signees at this point, but Quadir Bryant was the state of Delaware’s Mr. Fooball, Hale and Williams are rated highly on the major recruiting sites. Now all Blount has to do is sign ten more players of this caliber and he’ll have a top ten class. So far, that will be the least of the Hornets concern. Now they have to content with a vastly improved MEAC with fewer resources. Now that seems like a job for the Brown Hornet.

#19 Texas Southern University (23.2 points)
Signees: 7
Biggest Grab: Alex Mitchell DL 6-3 310 Jefferson HS, Portland, OR ****
Sleeper: Damon Heard RB 5-8, 170 Beaumont Central HS, Beaumont, TX
One that got away: Jordan Are' QB 6-1, 190 Alief Taylor HS, Houston, TX ** signed w/ Dartmouth Early impact: Roger Givens WR 6-5, 190 Lufkin HS, Lufkin, TX
2010 HBCU Ranking: #18
2010 SWAC Ranking: #8

Comments:
Coach Johnny Cole is one of the best recruiters in college football. That’s why I can’t understand how Texas Southern ended up with one of the worst signing day classes in FCS football. Someone pinch me, didn’t Texas Southern just win a SWAC title? Usually, a championship equates to benefits in enrollment, donations and recruiting. The best signee in the class on 2011 has apparently signed a letter of intent with Washington State, but no has addressed that matter publicly. In my opinion, the specter of NCAA sanctions has scared any possible recruits to commit elsewhere. However, this is something the Tiger administration probably has a contingency plan for, but how many more opportunities will Cole get to work his magic if 2010 champions are sunk by sanctions?

Grade: F+

#18 Southern University (36.8)
Signees: 18
Biggest Grab: Lamal Massey DE 6-3, 250 Jones HS, Orlando, FL **
Sleeper: Lamarkus Pettaway DB 6-2, 170 Howard School of Academics & Technology, Chattanooga, TN
One that got away: Darius Johnson OL 6-5, 257 Dr. Phillips HS, Orlando, FL *** [/s] signed w/ Middle Tennessee State
Early impact: Gene Pete QB 6-2, 205 Iowa HS, Iowa, LA
2010 HBCU Ranking: #7

Comments:
In 2010, the Southern fans were left stumped. The raw emotion and fanatical fervor that preceded the 2010 season was replaced by genuine skepticism and cautious doubt. The Jaguars appear to have no sense of direction anymore. For example, The Jags had a top ten class and number one overall class in the SWAC with thirty–four devout predators. This year Stump’s bunch could only convince eighteen young gentlemen to join the Columbia and gold parade. Nevertheless, there was one overwhelming beacon of potential greatness in this class. That would be Lamal Massey. This guy will give opposing offenses fits in the near future. Also, Southern suffered in every aspect of the game (except kicking) in 2010. Therefore, any help will be greatly appreciated. FTR, what happened to Jason House? The last I saw of him, he was being toasted in one on one coverage versus DSU. In my opinion, that just shows you what can happen to a great player after a negative coaching change.

Grade: D-

#17 Grambling State University (41.3 points)
Signees: 12
Biggest Grab: . Antonio Marsh LB 6-2, 198 Blount HS, Prichard, AL ***
Sleeper: Tyree Hollins WR 6-0, 185 Carroll HS, Monroe, LA
One that got away: Gerrand Johnson DT 6-3, 270 Rayville HS, Rayville, LA *** signed w/ Missouri
Early impact: Johnny Hedgeman TE 6-3, 230 Delhi HS, Delhi, LA
2010 HBCU Ranking: #9
2010 SWAC Ranking: #2

Comments:
I know I’m going to take heat for this, but the truth is the truth. Coach Broadway used the system to gain a pay raise which is admirable, but he also protected Grambling by allowing them to get the class they did get. If Broadway would have left and not thought about Grambling, the Tigers would have lost probably the best linebacker signee in HBCU football. Antonio Marsh is a FBS caliber linebacker that found his way to tiny little Grambling State. Trust me that signee had nothing to do with Grambling and everything to do with Broadway and his opportunity to play as a freshman which frequently happened under the coach. Finally, instead of condemning a man for choosing a more realistic work environment, please lift up a man that had the integrity to sign a class that had some benefits and not bomb the program in to obscurity. That will be the job of the next guy who gets constantly compared to a ghost of segregation instead of a coach facing today’s HBCU reality. As for the class, it addressed several key factors, but a few recruits saw smoke and assumed fire on Signing Day and went elsewhere. Good luck Tigers! You’re going to need it.

Grade: D

#16 Norfolk State University (44 points)
Signees: 11
Biggest Grab: Ramsey Henderson OL 6-5, 295 H. D. Woodson HS, Washington, DC **
Sleeper: Jim Lynch TE 6-4, 225 West Catholic HS, Philadelphia, PA
One that got away: ]Isaiah Johnson ATH 6-1, 190 Panther Creek HS, Cary, NC ** signed w/ Western Carolina
Early impact: Nico Flores QB 6-2, 175 North Miami Beach HS, North Miami Beach, FL *** (Central Florida)
2010 HBCU Ranking: #15
2010 MEAC Ranking: #8

Comments:
Behold! The worst class signed during the Pete Adrian era. Wow, I was shocked by both the lack of depth and quality of this class. From the outside looking in one might say that the Spartans may not have enough scholarships available to sign a full class. Yet, I must point out that NSU is in prime recruiting location and has the opportunity for a top five HBCU class annually. However, Coach Adrian’s desire to compete in the “new” MEAC will soon evaporate if the classes continue fall short of the legion’s expectations. The bright spot is Ramsey Henderson. This kid is a snow plow in winter. He’s going to move defensive line out of his way and if the Spartan ground game stays consistent watch out!

To view rankings 1-15 come check us out at the MEACFans Zone.

http://meacfanszone.proboards.com/index.cgi

TexasTerror
February 20th, 2011, 07:02 PM
I am confused how Texas Southern could be rated so low... particularly coming off a SWAC championship game...

Not sure how "official" this is...

superman7515
February 20th, 2011, 07:15 PM
One that got away: Sherrod Baltimore ATH 5-10, 160 Friendly HS, Fort Washington, MD ** signed w/ Maine
Early impact: Elbie Williams LB 6-1, 223 DeMatha Catholic HS, Hyattsville, MD **

Comments:
Kermit and the rest of the Dover Muppets are no longer a laughing matter when it comes to recruiting. True DSU only has three signees at this point, but Quadir Bryant was the state of Delaware’s Mr. Fooball, Hale and Williams are rated highly on the major recruiting sites. Now all Blount has to do is sign ten more players of this caliber and he’ll have a top ten class. So far, that will be the least of the Hornets concern. Now they have to content with a vastly improved MEAC with fewer resources. Now that seems like a job for the Brown Hornet.

He was Delaware's Mr. Football but he was also a 0 star recruit that was unoffered by anyone other than D2 schools until Kermit the Frog showed up at DSU.

ethcintl
February 24th, 2011, 01:35 PM
You have to add Greg Mcghee QB to Howards class. Major player out of Pittsburgh.

#22 North Carolina A&T State University (0.0 points)
Signees: 0
Biggest Grab: N/A
Sleeper: N/A
One that got away: Michael Jones OL 6-5, 280 Westover Senior HS, Fayetteville, NC ** signed w/ East Carolina
Early impact: N/A
2010 HBCU Ranking: #1

Comments:
I can’t say that the curse of Bill Hayes is genuine or not, but if you look at what has happened to the once proud North Carolina Agricultural and Technical State University football program. I don’t think you would have many who disagree with its so called affect. After setting a record for recruiting prowess in 2010, the Aggie’s find themselves on the other end of the spectrum in 2011 and there’s plenty of blame to spread around for there swift demise. True, the Aggies have limited scholarships available. Yet, the administration took far too long to get a coaching staff together before signing day. Honestly, I do not think it would have made any difference due to the current prestige of the program. However, I will say that A&T did get the process right by hiring Broadway and I project that many Aggie fans will have amnesia concerning the 2011 class after the neon light shine bright on Broadway and his accomplishments in Aggieland.

Grade: F-

#21 Howard University (10.3 points)
Signees: 2
Biggest Grab: D.J. Tyson RB 5-9, 172 Grovetown HS, Grovetown, GA ***
Sleeper: John Smith III TE/OL/DL 6-8, 240 North Cobb HS, Kennesaw, GA
One that got away: Nathaniel Clarke OL 6-4, 282 Archbishop Carroll HS, Washington, DC *** Signed w/ Maryland
Early impact: D.J. Tyson RB 5-9, 172 Grovetown HS, Grovetown, GA ***
2010 HBCU Ranking: #17
2010 MEAC Ranking: #9

Comments:
I have no fear that Coach Flea Harrell will give his all to make Howard respectable again. Yet, I fear that the Bison have fallen too far to come back in under a decade. This class could go a long in determining the immediate future of the “Real HU”. Candidly, I can’t comprehend why Howard isn’t the premier institution on athletically as it is academically. I realize that the university is above the Mason- Dixson line and football isn’t revered, but why not Basketball? I’m not sold by this united athletic front in the nation’s capital. Nevertheless, if the HU administration doesn’t see the winds of change taking place in the conference, it will be more than Bison pasties hitting the fan. Sad to say but it will the herds opportunity to win will be gone with the wind.

Comments:

#19 Texas Southern University (23.2 points)
Signees: 7
Biggest Grab: Alex Mitchell DL 6-3 310 Jefferson HS, Portland, OR ****
Sleeper: Damon Heard RB 5-8, 170 Beaumont Central HS, Beaumont, TX
One that got away: Jordan Are' QB 6-1, 190 Alief Taylor HS, Houston, TX ** signed w/ Dartmouth Early impact: Roger Givens WR 6-5, 190 Lufkin HS, Lufkin, TX
2010 HBCU Ranking: #18
2010 SWAC Ranking: #8

Comments:
Coach Johnny Cole is one of the best recruiters in college football. That’s why I can’t understand how Texas Southern ended up with one of the worst signing day classes in FCS football. Someone pinch me, didn’t Texas Southern just win a SWAC title? Usually, a championship equates to benefits in enrollment, donations and recruiting. The best signee in the class on 2011 has apparently signed a letter of intent with Washington State, but no has addressed that matter publicly. In my opinion, the specter of NCAA sanctions has scared any possible recruits to commit elsewhere. However, this is something the Tiger administration probably has a contingency plan for, but how many more opportunities will Cole get to work his magic if 2010 champions are sunk by sanctions?

Grade: F+

#18 Southern University (36.8)
Signees: 18
Biggest Grab: Lamal Massey DE 6-3, 250 Jones HS, Orlando, FL **
Sleeper: Lamarkus Pettaway DB 6-2, 170 Howard School of Academics & Technology, Chattanooga, TN
One that got away: Darius Johnson OL 6-5, 257 Dr. Phillips HS, Orlando, FL *** [/s] signed w/ Middle Tennessee State
Early impact: Gene Pete QB 6-2, 205 Iowa HS, Iowa, LA
2010 HBCU Ranking: #7

Comments:
In 2010, the Southern fans were left stumped. The raw emotion and fanatical fervor that preceded the 2010 season was replaced by genuine skepticism and cautious doubt. The Jaguars appear to have no sense of direction anymore. For example, The Jags had a top ten class and number one overall class in the SWAC with thirty–four devout predators. This year Stump’s bunch could only convince eighteen young gentlemen to join the Columbia and gold parade. Nevertheless, there was one overwhelming beacon of potential greatness in this class. That would be Lamal Massey. This guy will give opposing offenses fits in the near future. Also, Southern suffered in every aspect of the game (except kicking) in 2010. Therefore, any help will be greatly appreciated. FTR, what happened to Jason House? The last I saw of him, he was being toasted in one on one coverage versus DSU. In my opinion, that just shows you what can happen to a great player after a negative coaching change.

Grade: D-

#17 Grambling State University (41.3 points)
Signees: 12
Biggest Grab: . Antonio Marsh LB 6-2, 198 Blount HS, Prichard, AL ***
Sleeper: Tyree Hollins WR 6-0, 185 Carroll HS, Monroe, LA
One that got away: Gerrand Johnson DT 6-3, 270 Rayville HS, Rayville, LA *** signed w/ Missouri
Early impact: Johnny Hedgeman TE 6-3, 230 Delhi HS, Delhi, LA
2010 HBCU Ranking: #9
2010 SWAC Ranking: #2

Comments:
I know I’m going to take heat for this, but the truth is the truth. Coach Broadway used the system to gain a pay raise which is admirable, but he also protected Grambling by allowing them to get the class they did get. If Broadway would have left and not thought about Grambling, the Tigers would have lost probably the best linebacker signee in HBCU football. Antonio Marsh is a FBS caliber linebacker that found his way to tiny little Grambling State. Trust me that signee had nothing to do with Grambling and everything to do with Broadway and his opportunity to play as a freshman which frequently happened under the coach. Finally, instead of condemning a man for choosing a more realistic work environment, please lift up a man that had the integrity to sign a class that had some benefits and not bomb the program in to obscurity. That will be the job of the next guy who gets constantly compared to a ghost of segregation instead of a coach facing today’s HBCU reality. As for the class, it addressed several key factors, but a few recruits saw smoke and assumed fire on Signing Day and went elsewhere. Good luck Tigers! You’re going to need it.

#16 Norfolk State University (44 points)
Signees: 11
Biggest Grab: Ramsey Henderson OL 6-5, 295 H. D. Woodson HS, Washington, DC **
Sleeper: Jim Lynch TE 6-4, 225 West Catholic HS, Philadelphia, PA
One that got away: ]Isaiah Johnson ATH 6-1, 190 Panther Creek HS, Cary, NC ** signed w/ Western Carolina
Early impact: Nico Flores QB 6-2, 175 North Miami Beach HS, North Miami Beach, FL *** (Central Florida)
2010 HBCU Ranking: #15
2010 MEAC Ranking: #8

Comments:
Behold! The worst class signed during the Pete Adrian era. Wow, I was shocked by both the lack of depth and quality of this class. From the outside looking in one might say that the Spartans may not have enough scholarships available to sign a full class. Yet, I must point out that NSU is in prime recruiting location and has the opportunity for a top five HBCU class annually. However, Coach Adrian’s desire to compete in the “new” MEAC will soon evaporate if the classes continue fall short of the legion’s expectations. The bright spot is Ramsey Henderson. This kid is a snow plow in winter. He’s going to move defensive line out of his way and if the Spartan ground game stays consistent watch out!

To view rankings 1-15 come check us out at the MEACFans Zone.

http://meacfanszone.proboards.com/index.cgi