PDA

View Full Version : LEHIGH GETS BOOST FOR 2011

ngineer
February 20th, 2011, 08:29 AM
At Lehigh's Annual Football Dinner last night, amidst the celebration of the Patriot League Championship making the graduating seniors part of an 18 year legacy of each class graduating with at least one championship ring, it was announced that three of the seniors are being granted medical redshirts which will allow them another year of eligibility while they pursue masters degrees.
OL Keith Schauder will return for another year either at guard or center and DL's Dokouslis and "The Mad Stork" Flizak will return to bolster the defensive front. This is great news for the Mountain Hawks, since there were 24 seniors leaving this year.
Many awards handed out last night, but Most Outstanding overall player award on the team went to, who else, but Leopard killer and co-captain, Al Pierce. Only the fourth defensive player to win the MVP award in the Lehigh-Lafayette game, and was like a coach on the field with his leadership.
A great highlight video was shown and will be available. ILB Mike Groome's stuff of the Lafayette RB at the goal line stand is a major highlight and has gone viral on Youtube.
HC Coen was really caught up in the evening as this senior class was his first class that he recruited from beginning to end. I also had a chance to speak with OC Cecchini who is really excited about next year's offensive potential with almost all skill players back on O. Also, looking forward to the competition in the backfield together with QB Poutier coming in from California and WR Parrish from nearby Palisades. He compares Poutier alot with Sullivan of Colgate in terms of style. He has major skills, but is only 6'0", so most major schools backed off. However, he's very mobile as seen on his videos.
Captains' Charge was as expected: Do it again next year, except take it to next level!

RichH2
February 20th, 2011, 11:59 AM
xhurrayxxhurrayxxhurrayx Its like getting 29 recruits this year. Thanks for the info.Agree that Poutier seems to have all the tools but a bit of height, does it really seem that he could challenge for varsity this next season? Colvin and Bialkowski are both talented athletes. I know Coach has been expanding his play package beyond just the wildcat. BB is a rifle armed kid with good feet. Tough hill for Poutier to climb. Lets not forget McHale led team to State championship in NJ and was also an A-S qb. Guess its a nice problem to have. I hope a similar problem arise in our defensive backfieldxshhhx

CFBfan
February 20th, 2011, 12:11 PM
xhurrayxxhurrayxxhurrayx Its like getting 29 recruits this year. Thanks for the info.Agree that Poutier seems to have all the tools but a bit of height, does it really seem that he could challenge for varsity this next season? Colvin and Bialkowski are both talented athletes. I know Coach has been expanding his play package beyond just the wildcat. BB is a rifle armed kid with good feet. Tough hill for Poutier to climb. Lets not forget McHale led team to State championship in NJ and was also an A-S qb. Guess its a nice problem to have. I hope a similar problem arise in our defensive backfieldxshhhx

I would say that getting 2 starters back that are 5th year seniors is a whole lot more impactful than 2 recruits. They know the system, they have game experience, they have maturity and they are obviously good....none of this could be said of a recruit.

RichH2
February 20th, 2011, 12:18 PM
Could not agree more. Our class a bit smaller than usual, so it was great to add 3 more and even better with 2 starters and a letterman.

Go Lehigh TU owl
February 20th, 2011, 06:41 PM
This is great news. The pieces seem to be in place for another successful year in '11.

Lehigh Football Nation
February 20th, 2011, 07:11 PM
I'll go into this more on Monday, but those three big bodies coming back really, really bodes well for us. Flizack and Douksilis were "late bloomers" their junior year that are poised to be really strong players on the "D" line in 2011, and Schauder is a guy that has also impressed me over his career on the "O" line and - may - push for a captainship or co-captainship on offense.

van
February 21st, 2011, 04:33 PM
http://www.anygivensaturday.com/images/smilies/smileyclap.gif

Other than the d backfield, we will be absolutely stacked everywhere with those 3 seniors returning. I for one, would like to see Newton at safety as we have great depth at LB and really need some leadership in the d backfield. Andrews and Gabe J should hold the corners OK. Just not sure about safeties. http://www.anygivensaturday.com/images/smilies/chinscratch.gif

ngineer
February 21st, 2011, 11:01 PM
http://www.anygivensaturday.com/images/smilies/smileyclap.gif

Other than the d backfield, we will be absolutely stacked everywhere with those 3 seniors returning. I for one, would like to see Newton at safety as we have great depth at LB and really need some leadership in the d backfield. Andrews and Gabe J should hold the corners OK. Just not sure about safeties. http://www.anygivensaturday.com/images/smilies/chinscratch.gif

Yes, Andrews and Gabe will be fine at CB. Indeed, Andrews is just as good as Kennedy and Cribbs. Very quick to the ball. I also agree that moving Newton to strong safety is worth a look.

RichH2
February 22nd, 2011, 08:53 AM
Newton would certainly lock down SS but who replaces him at OLB? He is Coach K's version of a Rover. If there is a solid fill in , a move to SS will shore up a very very inexperienced backfield. Andrews is a great cb but there is little experience elsewhere .