PDA

View Full Version : SDSU's 2011 Schedule:

BirdieJack
February 16th, 2011, 10:29 AM
Another year...another BI-AAACH of a schedule. Not to mention we're paying SUU $185K to play a "one and done". F#$K me running.
I guess we'll see what comes of it!!xrotatehx
We beat SUU and ISU-BLUE and I'm willing to bet we completely demolish our average attendence record with HOBO DAY being the last home game!

Sept. 3 SOUTHERN UTAH [Cereal Bowl] 6 p.m. SDSU leads 3-1
Sept. 10 at Illinois TBA First meeting
Sept. 17 at Cal Poly 4 p.m. PT Cal Poly leads 4-2
Sept. 24 *at Illinois State TBA SDSU leads 2-1
Oct. 1 *INDIANA STATE [Beef Bowl] 6 p.m. SDSU leads 2-1
Oct. 8 *at Youngstown State TBA SDSU leads 7-5
Oct. 15 *NORTHERN IOWA [Hall of Fame Game] 6 p.m. UNI leads 26-17-2
Oct. 22 *NORTH DAKOTA STATE [Dakota Marker Game] 2 p.m. NDSU leads 52-40-5
Oct. 29 *at Missouri State TBA SDSU leads 3-0
Nov. 5 *SOUTHERN ILLINOIS [Hobo Day] 2 p.m. SIU leads 2-1
Nov. 12 *at Western Illinois TBA Series tied 4-4
*Missouri Valley Football Conference game

Go Jacks!!

EDIT later: A better rundown of each game is in the "news feed" threads. Sorry Rabid for double posting...I don't go into those threads enough.

Yote 53
February 16th, 2011, 10:33 AM
Go GWFC! Go Thunderbirds!

sikolec
February 16th, 2011, 10:33 AM
That is quite the schedule. Glad to see SDSU and Cal Poly are keeping games even after SDSU left the Great West. Always extremely competitive and fun one to watch!

BirdieJack
February 16th, 2011, 10:37 AM

You forgot Cal Poly...only in USD-land.xnonono2x

Go Jacks!!

darell1976
February 16th, 2011, 10:37 AM
Nice schedule Jacks...if you play Illinois as tough as you did Nebraska you could come out with a win. See you at the Alerus Center in 2013!!!

89rabbit
February 16th, 2011, 10:50 AM
Good schedule. It will work.

89rabbit
February 16th, 2011, 10:51 AM

Go Lamar . . . oh wait. Sorry about that. xlolx

Go State! xnodx

Jacked_Rabbit
February 16th, 2011, 11:19 AM
Another extremely tough schedule for the Rabbits to get to that critical 7 win mark...Oh well, ateast we have USD on our schedule in 2012 - that should make things a little easier! xnodx

wapiti
February 16th, 2011, 12:07 PM
Nice schedule. There is nothing less than a Div 1 opponent on it. I think your coach and AD did a good job on it.
5 home games 6 road games, one being an FBS that is winable.

Yote 53
February 16th, 2011, 12:24 PM
Didn't look that far down the schedule. Yeah, Go Mustangs, too!

sikolec
February 16th, 2011, 12:31 PM
Didn't look that far down the schedule. Yeah, Go Mustangs, too!

Didn't look passed the first game? Haha I love it!

MplsBison
February 16th, 2011, 12:48 PM
Playing SUU is one thing, but why do you guys keep scheduling Cal Poly? And I don't mean it in the sense that SUU isn't that good vs. Cal Poly is hard to beat.

I mean in the sense of why do you want your kids to spend a week preparing for Cal Poly's bizarre schemes? You lose that entire week of practice preparing for something that you'll never see again the rest of the year. Not to mention having to go all the way out to Poly every other year, no doubt one of the worst trips for the team (I heard that NDSU didn't get back to Fargo until ~4am both times they went out to Poly)

BirdieJack
February 16th, 2011, 12:59 PM
Playing SUU is one thing, but why do you guys keep scheduling Cal Poly? And I don't mean it in the sense that SUU isn't that good vs. Cal Poly is hard to beat.

I mean in the sense of why do you want your kids to spend a week preparing for Cal Poly's bizarre schemes? You lose that entire week of practice preparing for something that you'll never see again the rest of the year. Not to mention having to go all the way out to Poly every other year, no doubt one of the worst trips for the team (I heard that NDSU didn't get back to Fargo until ~4am both times they went out to Poly)

THe same reason that we paid $185K to play SUU. Teams, especially good FCS teams aren't willing to play us in Brookings. Cal Poly and SDSU were both desperate for home OOC games so we teamed up and SDSU gets a 2 for 1.
Great for me...IMO the SLO area is the most beautiful country in the United States and always a great trip!! But yes, if I had it my way for scheduling...it would look more like NDSU's weak OOC schedules. A lot easier to get to 7 wins, no doubt.

Go Jacks!!

Poly's Brutality
February 16th, 2011, 01:00 PM
You lose that entire week of practice preparing for something that you'll never see again the rest of the year. Not to mention having to go all the way out to Poly every other year, no doubt one of the worst trips for the team (I heard that NDSU didn't get back to Fargo until ~4am both times they went out to Poly)

Yep, and "I heard" 'worst trip' to San Luis Obispo might beat the 'worst trip' to Fargo.

RabidRabbit
February 16th, 2011, 01:19 PM
Yep, and "I heard" 'worst trip' to San Luis Obispo might beat the 'worst trip' to Fargo.

Doncha mean "best trip" to Fargo? xsmiley_wixxwhistlex

SDSU has a fair number of Alumni, and a Sr. Distinguished Alumni winemaker J Lohr in CA. I would venture a guess that of out of CA opponents, that SDSU probably has been close to the highest # of opposing fans to show up at Cal Poly home games.

Cal Poly and SDSU helped found the GWFC. It's good to see them continue the rivalry.

Likewise, SUU will play SDSU in all sports, probably for the last time in the 2011-12 school year. Glad that SUU FINALLY got the all sports invite to the Big Sky, but SDSU will miss the W that came playing SUU in most events.

MplsBison
February 16th, 2011, 07:59 PM
THe same reason that we paid $185K to play SUU. Teams, especially good FCS teams aren't willing to play us in Brookings. Cal Poly and SDSU were both desperate for home OOC games so we teamed up and SDSU gets a 2 for 1.
Great for me...IMO the SLO area is the most beautiful country in the United States and always a great trip!! But yes, if I had it my way for scheduling...it would look more like NDSU's weak OOC schedules. A lot easier to get to 7 wins, no doubt.

Go Jacks!!

Getting 5 wins in the MVFC is not a guarantee for any single team in the conference. I wish NDSU had the balls to schedule the way SDSU does, but the playoffs are too important for what amount of national exposure they provide, even if it is small.

MplsBison
February 16th, 2011, 08:02 PM

I specifically said worst trip for the team. Obviously a trip for a fan is nothing like a trip for a player, coach or staff. Again from what I've heard, you basically spend all day in an airport, airplane, bus or hotel room. If that's true then it's not like they're seeing the sites and having a good time out at night.

Poly's Brutality
February 17th, 2011, 01:37 AM
Obviously a trip for a fan is nothing like a trip for a player, coach or staff. Again from what I've heard, you basically spend all day in an airport, airplane, bus or hotel room. If that's true then it's not like they're seeing the sites and having a good time out at night.

Yep, admit, right on this unfortunately, unless it's a charter to Santa Maria closeby, though many players have never seen the Pacific ocean so the bus ride up the coast (or down if they fly into San Jose) is nicer than you think, though lengthy. True though, the students are shuffled in and out too fast to take in much of the local scenery, unless they can get another day before or after somehow instead of doing the "let's get home fast" redeye thing mostly required by the AD's. Still nice to see other parts of the country, regardless.

Houndawg
February 17th, 2011, 07:50 AM
Getting 5 wins in the MVFC is not a guarantee for any single team in the conference. I wish NDSU had the balls to schedule the way SDSU does, but the playoffs are too important for what amount of national exposure they provide, even if it is small.

I believe NDSU is the only MVC team that has never achieved 5 wins in conference, probably has a lot to do with the soft OOC.

MplsBison
February 17th, 2011, 12:17 PM
I believe NDSU is the only MVC team that has never achieved 5 wins in conference, probably has a lot to do with the soft OOC.

You knew that I meant next year.

89rabbit
February 17th, 2011, 02:36 PM
Yep, admit, right on this unfortunately, unless it's a charter to Santa Maria closeby, though many players have never seen the Pacific ocean so the bus ride up the coast (or down if they fly into San Jose) is nicer than you think, though lengthy. True though, the students are shuffled in and out too fast to take in much of the local scenery, unless they can get another day before or after somehow instead of doing the "let's get home fast" redeye thing mostly required by the AD's. Still nice to see other parts of the country, regardless.

Yup, we charter into Santa Maria. Easy trip. xcoolx

THE HERD
February 17th, 2011, 04:36 PM
Nice schedule although 3 out of the first 4 games on the road is not what I would call ideal. As far as the Bison OOC schedule it usually is a mix of a patsy and middle of road team plus an FBS. Next year would have had Georgia S., but they opted to buy out the game to get another home game. So two of three OOC would have been GS and the Goophers, which would not be a patsy schedule at all, although we do play those too.......hell ya need at least one on your schedule, assuming it is a D1 patsy. I really don't understand why teams play DII's, that is no win situation. Last year was Kansas, Morgan St., USD and one other I think, but cannot remember.......thats not a total patsy schedule either. Not to bash the Griz, because most of their fans hate their schedules as well, but their AD really tends to schedule some crappy OOC games, but I am sure it is tough getting decent FCS teams to come to Wash. Griz stadium. We have a home and home with them starting in a couple years.....do the Jacks have anything set up with them or the Bobcats?? We have a home and home with the Bobcats too thats starts in 2012 I believe with the Griz in 2013.

darell1976
February 17th, 2011, 06:34 PM
Nice schedule although 3 out of the first 4 games on the road is not what I would call ideal. As far as the Bison OOC schedule it usually is a mix of a patsy and middle of road team plus an FBS. Next year would have had Georgia S., but they opted to buy out the game to get another home game. So two of three OOC would have been GS and the Goophers, which would not be a patsy schedule at all, although we do play those too.......hell ya need at least one on your schedule, assuming it is a D1 patsy. I really don't understand why teams play DII's, that is no win situation. Last year was Kansas, Morgan St., USD and one other I think, but cannot remember.......thats not a total patsy schedule either. Not to bash the Griz, because most of their fans hate their schedules as well, but their AD really tends to schedule some crappy OOC games, but I am sure it is tough getting decent FCS teams to come to Wash. Griz stadium. We have a home and home with them starting in a couple years.....do the Jacks have anything set up with them or the Bobcats?? We have a home and home with the Bobcats too thats starts in 2012 I believe with the Griz in 2013.

$$$ thats what its all about. Why did Montana play NDSU, why did Northern Iowa play UND because of $$$ even though both FCS teams lost to the D2 Dakota teams.

THE HERD
February 18th, 2011, 09:00 AM
Teams should still be able to find a low end FCS team rather than a DII team. DII wins don't count and it can really come back to bite ya in the ***.......just ask Montana about last season.

darell1976
February 18th, 2011, 10:02 AM
Teams should still be able to find a low end FCS team rather than a DII team. DII wins don't count and it can really come back to bite ya in the ***.......just ask Montana about last season.

I totally agree. UND needs to start copying NDSU's schedule...NO NAIA, or D2 teams!!

MplsBison
February 18th, 2011, 12:54 PM
I totally agree. UND needs to start copying NDSU's schedule...NO NAIA, or D2 teams!!

Obviously being in the Great West was the reason...only 4 conf games. You gotta have some home games, I bet few FCS teams were willing to come to Grand Forks for reasonable terms.

Now in the Big Sky you only need to schedule really 2 non-conf games a year, assuming one non-conf will always be a FBS game.

darell1976
February 18th, 2011, 02:07 PM
Obviously being in the Great West was the reason...only 4 conf games. You gotta have some home games, I bet few FCS teams were willing to come to Grand Forks for reasonable terms.

Now in the Big Sky you only need to schedule really 2 non-conf games a year, assuming one non-conf will always be a FBS game.

Thank God for that!!! We do have a nice pick of FCS teams not too far from home, NDSU, SDSU, USD, UNI, along with the BSC teams we don't have scheduled as conference games.

Bison Fan in NW MN
February 19th, 2011, 09:29 AM
Another extremely tough schedule for the Rabbits to get to that critical 7 win mark...Oh well, ateast we have USD on our schedule in 2012 - that should make things a little easier! xnodx

Nice one, there!!

USD will be a "bottom-feeder" in the MV for many years. Truth hurts yote fans. You are going to get NDSU-SDSU-UNI-WIU-ISU-MSU-YSU-InS-SIU every year now. I bet most of those schools spend significantly more $$ on their FB programs than the yotes. I could be wrong but I do not see USD being a top-tier MV team anytime soon.

MplsBison
February 19th, 2011, 02:14 PM
Nice one, there!!

USD will be a "bottom-feeder" in the MV for many years. Truth hurts yote fans. You are going to get NDSU-SDSU-UNI-WIU-ISU-MSU-YSU-InS-SIU every year now. I bet most of those schools spend significantly more $$ on their FB programs than the yotes. I could be wrong but I do not see USD being a top-tier MV team anytime soon.

If EWU can win the national championship with the facilities, coaching salaries and attendance they have, then really any full scholarship team in an AQ conference ought to be able to. I know you were talking about the MVFC, fine. I'm just saying.

Bison Fan in NW MN
February 19th, 2011, 04:11 PM
If EWU can win the national championship with the facilities, coaching salaries and attendance they have, then really any full scholarship team in an AQ conference ought to be able to. I know you were talking about the MVFC, fine. I'm just saying.

Generally, I agree with this that any team has the potential to do it.

USD might prove me wrong but it is going to take a few yrs before they will contend for the MV title, IMO.

darell1976
February 19th, 2011, 05:35 PM
Last time USD won a division title unshared was in 1978, their last shared title was in 2005...quite a gap in between there.

South Dakota 3-titles outright 7-shared 10-total
NCC Champs: 1927; 38; 39; 47; 51; 72; 73; 74; 78;
http://northcentral.prestosports.com/Record_Book/08_Updates/08football.pdf

Redbird Ray
February 19th, 2011, 05:37 PM
Just make sure you guys kick the **** out of Princess Illini. Let me know if you guys need any recommendations about Chambana info. My wife is from Urbana, and her two brothers are both Illini season ticket holders. I live in Chicago, but I'll probably try to get to the SDSU game.