PDA

View Full Version : CAA Preseason Poll Predictions

Tribal
February 8th, 2011, 10:21 PM
How do you guys think the CAA preseason polls will look?

(I'm biased)

1. W&M (CAA champs & great recruiting class)
2. UD (Excellent team returning FBS talent)
3. UMass (FBS talent in several positions)
4. Nova (Lost key players but great program)
5. UR (Excellent recruits & coach had a yr to get it right)
6. UNH (Great 2010 season)
7. JMU (Rebuilding but always dangerous)
8. ODU (my sleeper team & good recruits)
9. Rhody (very good at home)
10. Maine (should have won more last season)
11. Towson (still)

NHwildEcat
February 8th, 2011, 10:32 PM
I think UNH is ahead of UMass and Nova...

UNH Fanboi
February 8th, 2011, 11:54 PM

Yeah. Nova is losing Szczur, Whitney, Ball, Babaro, Ijalana, Thomas, and ton of other starters who carried the team in 09 and 10. Nova may have done some great recruiting and have some great players waiting in the wings, but they are going to have a serious lack of experience at nearly every position. That will hurt in close games, which are inevitable in the CAA, even if they have a lot of raw talent. I'd put the over-under on Nova's number of wins next year at 5.5.

UNH has their share of questions marks (like every team), but not nearly as many as Nova, IMO. I don't think any team really stands out as the clear favorite, but I'd put Delaware, W&M and UNH in the first tier.

VBR_Productions
February 9th, 2011, 12:20 AM

Agreed - Villanova is a quality program but until they prove they can win without Szczur, Whitney, Ijalana et al then I don't think it's fair to rank them ahead of New Hampshire.

As long as W&M has a healthy Grimes then they'll be at the top of the conference. Delaware loses a lot on D let alone their starting QB, but they return a lot as well.

Tribe4SF
February 9th, 2011, 05:21 AM
Nova loses too much to be ranked ahead of UNH. Their LBs were the soul of their defense, and they're all gone. They didn't have alot of depth last year, so you have to wonder where the new leaders are going to come from. Talley already talking about a number of true freshmen playing, which is not the look of a conference contender. I see UR and JMU ahead of Nova, and watch out for URI.

bluehenbillk
February 9th, 2011, 07:28 AM
How do you guys think the CAA preseason polls will look?

(I'm biased)

1. W&M (CAA champs & great recruiting class)
2. UD (Excellent team returning FBS talent)
3. UMass (FBS talent in several positions)
4. Nova (Lost key players but great program)
5. UR (Excellent recruits & coach had a yr to get it right)
6. UNH (Great 2010 season)
7. JMU (Rebuilding but always dangerous)
8. ODU (my sleeper team & good recruits)
9. Rhody (very good at home)
10. Maine (should have won more last season)
11. Towson (still)

'My thoughts: 'Nova is too high, & I'd move UNH & URI up.

JMUDuke2002
February 9th, 2011, 09:21 AM
WM too high. That defense was exposed for what they were, and I don't see anything changing. The defense may even take a step back. Offense looks ok if they can keep their quarterbacks healthy. We'll see.

UD is my pick to win it right now. The offense is solid even without Devlin. I'd be concerned with the defense since they are losing some parts, but I think they'll be fine.

Umass is solid, but not great.

Nova loses a lot of pieces, and may start freshman. Could be a long year, but they do have excellent recruits and Talley knows what he is doing.

UR is a mystery to me right now. So I can't give an opinion.

UNH should be solid as usual.

JMU is bringing back a stellar defense. If the offense improves with a new quarterback, they'll be in the thick of things.

ODU may be strong. But, it is hard to tell because of their competition last year. After watching the WM game, ODU's Super Bowl, they could be good. But, I also saw a lot of undiscplined play, much like JMU last year. We'll see but right now I'd put them ahead of others.

Rhody had a great season last year. But, can they repeat it or was it an aberration. Time will tell. I'm still not sold.

Towson and Maine will be at the bottom.

1. UD
2. UNH
3. JMU
4. WM
5. UMass
6. NOVA
7. UR
8. ODU
9. URI
10. Maine
11. Towson

All those teams from 3 to 7 could be shuffled in any order right now. For JMU, it depends on the offense. Typical CAA season.

tribefan40
February 9th, 2011, 11:28 AM
WM too high. That defense was exposed for what they were, and I don't see anything changing. The defense may even take a step back. Offense looks ok if they can keep their quarterbacks healthy. We'll see.

While I agree that the defense was exposed toward the end of the year, I think you'll see a different look next year with the return of MLB Trantin. If he comes back and plays close to the level of his last season, our run defense should look a lot different. Huge team leader that we missed last year. Sprinkle in some rising depth and size at almost every position, and our D should be solid. The question will be the coordinator/system and what that looks like by the fall.

Offense shouldn't miss a beat with key playmakers Grimes, Moody and Gotlieb returning, but a lot will rest on Paulus who should be even better with a year in the system.

With Nova losing significant players and UD losing a fair amount as well, it should be a wide open race - I see WM, JMU and UNH at the top, with UD, ODU and URI pushing the rest of the pack. xtwocentsx

JMUDuke2002
February 9th, 2011, 12:33 PM
While I agree that the defense was exposed toward the end of the year, I think you'll see a different look next year with the return of MLB Trantin. If he comes back and plays close to the level of his last season, our run defense should look a lot different. Huge team leader that we missed last year. Sprinkle in some rising depth and size at almost every position, and our D should be solid. The question will be the coordinator/system and what that looks like by the fall.

Offense shouldn't miss a beat with key playmakers Grimes, Moody and Gotlieb returning, but a lot will rest on Paulus who should be even better with a year in the system.

With Nova losing significant players and UD losing a fair amount as well, it should be a wide open race - I see WM, JMU and UNH at the top, with UD, ODU and URI pushing the rest of the pack. xtwocentsx

I can't quibble with anything you say. JMU could win it if the offense improves. If it doesn't, they'll be 6-5 again. WM could win it, but if the defense can't stop the run we'll see the same thing as last year. I think this coming year has more questions than answers. I can't really see a dominant team right now.

bluehenbillk
February 9th, 2011, 12:37 PM
How is JMU being mentioned near the top? I understand you may be happy about having a transfer QB, but A: he's a freshman, B: JMU doesn't throw the ball, C: Who would they throw the ball to? and D: could JMU's bad OL protect him?

JMU's offense took HUGE steps back last year, I don't see them taking big steps forward...

tribefan40
February 9th, 2011, 12:50 PM
How is JMU being mentioned near the top? I understand you may be happy about having a transfer QB, but A: he's a freshman, B: JMU doesn't throw the ball, C: Who would they throw the ball to? and D: could JMU's bad OL protect him?

JMU's offense took HUGE steps back last year, I don't see them taking big steps forward...

I think defense is what matters with JMU next season. They don't lose much if anything from a very good D that kept them in every game they played last year. (only one loss was by more than a touchdown) If they can get any stability at the QB position they should do well. I haven't heard a lot of buzz on the transfer but Dae'Quan Scott seems to have the tools if they can find any kind of passing game. I don't think they need to take big steps forward on offense, just find some consistency.

NHwildEcat
February 9th, 2011, 01:03 PM
1. UNH (From what I saw of the defense last year, I expect them to be the best unit in the entire conference...and Decker will be an improvement on Offense...)
2. UD (I expect these guys to play at their usual high level- I have confidence in their D)
3. WM (I would expect to see an improved team against the run)
4.URI ( I know...its URI, but I thought they took some big steps forward last year- even if they are going to leave, they will be very good this year)
5. JMU (Offense should be fine, the D is the side of the ball that will make or break a playoff run)
6. NOVA (There losses on offense might be too much this year)
7. UR (???)
8. UMass (Not too impressed with UMass...)
9. ODU (Not too sure about these guys...looking forward to seeing how they fare)
10. Maine (I thought they were moving in the right direction...then last year happened.)
11. Towson (Terrible)

JMUDuke2002
February 9th, 2011, 01:09 PM
I think defense is what matters with JMU next season. They don't lose much if anything from a very good D that kept them in every game they played last year. (only one loss was by more than a touchdown) If they can get any stability at the QB position they should do well. I haven't heard a lot of buzz on the transfer but Dae'Quan Scott seems to have the tools if they can find any kind of passing game. I don't think they need to take big steps forward on offense, just find some consistency.

Exactly. JMU managed to stay close in every game until the defense was flat wore out. They lost to the NC runner-up by a field goal, beat a then #1 WM, beat Tech, and beat a strong Liberty team. The difference was quarterback and line play. The O-line was plagued by injury last year. The receivers aren't horrible. They just didn't have a QB who could make even the simple throws. So, as I and others have said, with the current defense as strong as it is and with even an average offense, JMU will compete. Plus, the schedule lines up for JMU next year. We miss UD, and play Nova, Richmond, and Maine (a place JMU always struggles) at home. We also get URI (yes, I know they were improved. We'll see). I'm not saying they're a lock to win the CAA. As my post stated, 3 through 7 are a toss-up. But, if the defense plays the same or better than last year and the offense gets better, they'll compete.

GannonFan
February 9th, 2011, 02:53 PM
I think W&M is the favorite going into the year, but they're not as strong of a favorite as nova was last year and nova still ended up going 7-4 so that says a lot. I wouldn't be too worried about W&M's exposed D - all that got exposed was that they couldn't stop a power running attack (JMU's single wing and then the more impressive GSU triple option). No one other than JMU is going to run anything like that at them next year (UD could be the interesting one - very veteran OL and a full stable of running backs, including AP, but no one would classify UD as a power running team based on past years) so that exposure may not amount to much. Hard to see nova doing anything - sure the young recruits may be good, but they lose almost every player that did something last year - relying on youth in a conference like this with so many other teams that aren't relying on youth is tough. JMU's defense is fine, but the offense was so bad last year it's hard to see marked improvement there, especially considering there's no reason to assume the OL, the heart of their defense, will be much better. I'm not sure why people have UMass so high - they lost their QB, their best RB, and their best WR, and they didn't have much of a defense. And they still only finished around .500 last year with those guys they lose.

For me I have the following:

Favorite: W&M
Top Contenders: UD, UNH, Richmond, Rhode Island (dark horse)
Middle of the Pack: JMU, nova
Long Season: ODU, Maine, UMass
Towson Group: Towson

JMUDuke2002
February 9th, 2011, 03:55 PM
I think W&M is the favorite going into the year, but they're not as strong of a favorite as nova was last year and nova still ended up going 7-4 so that says a lot. I wouldn't be too worried about W&M's exposed D - all that got exposed was that they couldn't stop a power running attack (JMU's single wing and then the more impressive GSU triple option). No one other than JMU is going to run anything like that at them next year (UD could be the interesting one - very veteran OL and a full stable of running backs, including AP, but no one would classify UD as a power running team based on past years) so that exposure may not amount to much. Hard to see nova doing anything - sure the young recruits may be good, but they lose almost every player that did something last year - relying on youth in a conference like this with so many other teams that aren't relying on youth is tough. JMU's defense is fine, but the offense was so bad last year it's hard to see marked improvement there, especially considering there's no reason to assume the OL, the heart of their defense, will be much better. I'm not sure why people have UMass so high - they lost their QB, their best RB, and their best WR, and they didn't have much of a defense. And they still only finished around .500 last year with those guys they lose.

It's hard to pick a favorite right now, but I can't dispute what you said. The one reason I think WM may have difficulty winning the conference comes down to scheduling. They face all the power teams in the former CAA south - Nova, UR, UD, JMU plus a strong UNH. Then they have their FBS opponent in UVa, which won't lose to them again. ODU gave them everything they could handle and URI could be good. No doubt its going to be a tough year to get wins for everyone. It will be interesting.

tribe_pride
February 9th, 2011, 05:33 PM
It's hard to pick a favorite right now, but I can't dispute what you said. The one reason I think WM may have difficulty winning the conference comes down to scheduling. They face all the power teams in the former CAA south - Nova, UR, UD, JMU plus a strong UNH. Then they have their FBS opponent in UVa, which won't lose to them again. ODU gave them everything they could handle and URI could be good. No doubt its going to be a tough year to get wins for everyone. It will be interesting.

Not saying we will win the conference but our conference schedule is more favorable this year than last year. Last year, we missed Towson and this year, we miss Maine and UMass. Ignore the FCS game to determine conference favorites since that is not relevant to who wins the conference.

Here is who everyone misses:

Delaware - JMU & UNH
JMU - Delaware & Towson
Maine - W&M & ODU
Umass - W&M and Towson
UNH - Delaware & ODU
ODU - UNH & Maine
URI - Richmond & Nova
Richmond - URI & Nova
Towson - JMU & UMass
Nova - URI & Richmond
W&M - Maine & UMass

Delaware has the biggest advantage amongst the top teams in terms of who they miss. Nova I guess is next and then the other contenders are relatively even in who they miss.

Tribal
February 9th, 2011, 10:08 PM
I can't quibble with anything you say. JMU could win it if the offense improves. If it doesn't, they'll be 6-5 again. WM could win it, but if the defense can't stop the run we'll see the same thing as last year. I think this coming year has more questions than answers. I can't really see a dominant team right now.

CAA Champions? ;-)

Tribal
February 9th, 2011, 10:12 PM

Ha ha, that's just wrong!

Jackman
February 10th, 2011, 12:41 AM
I'm not sure why people have UMass so high - they lost their QB, their best RB, and their best WR, and they didn't have much of a defense. And they still only finished around .500 last year with those guys they lose.

We didn't lose our best RB (Hernandez), but I am worried about QB and the defensive front 7 (excluding Holmes). There's more reason to believe we'll be worse than last season than better. We're going to need improvement from our underclassmen to do better. Don't want to finish near the bottom if this ends up being our final season in the league.

Mattymc727
February 10th, 2011, 08:29 AM
Im not sure UNH's defense returns at a higher level than last year. While I think the offense will be even better, the defense was one of the best in FCS and lost a bunch of 5 year seniors that will be hard to replace (young, Vasso, Souza, Mcguinness). I think they have recruited even better replacements but Im not sure they can come in right away and replace them at such a high level. I think the year after next will be the year this defense will be better. Regardless, I see UNH, UD, and W&M as the top three in no particular order with JMU and URI being contenders also. I wouldnt be surprised if Nova does well again either.

soccerguy315
February 11th, 2011, 11:09 AM
UD/W&M/UNH are in the "favorites" pool
JMU/Richmond/Umass/Nova in the next group
Maine/ODU/URI/Towson

until URI can duplicate last season, I will call it a fluke. (Is 2011 their last season in the CAA?)

Tribe4SF
February 11th, 2011, 11:55 AM
URI has two more years in the CAA. They retrurn too much to discount them for next year. By mid-season, they were a solid football team who got wins over UNH and Villanova, and hung right with Delaware.

TheDancinMonarch
February 11th, 2011, 08:50 PM

In the traditional sense it may be a "long season" for ODU but as newbies we relish the opportunity to compete in the CAA. Every game will be entered with excitement and whatever the overall results, they will provide a benchmark for our future efforts. Can't wait.

Tribal
February 11th, 2011, 10:04 PM
I'm glad W&M is playing ODU at home.