PDA

View Full Version : Lafayette President Weiss' Statement on Athletics

Lehigh Football Nation
February 7th, 2011, 10:04 AM
http://www.goleopards.com/genrel/020411aai.html

The following statement was prepared by President Weiss for the January 29, 2011, meeting of the Board of Trustees. At the request of the Board's executive committee, the message is now being shared with the broader Lafayette community.

As Lafayette's president I have also made it a priority to familiarize myself with key operational issues associated with the program, including its funding structure and the history of our affiliation with the Patriot League. This process has been informative and clarifying and has reinforced my conviction of the value of athletics to the College. I am committed to the program and believe that it is wholly consistent with Lafayette's mission.

For these reasons I am especially proud that we continue to make substantial investments in the program's success. Over the past decade or so Lafayette has expanded its coaching and training staffs, funded merit-based athletic scholarships in selected sports, and significantly upgraded its facilities for football, baseball, softball, soccer, and track and field. The Kamine Varsity House, which was dedicated in 2008, represents a major upgrade of the facilities available to all athletes who practice and compete at Metzgar Fields. We look forward to further improvements at Metzgar when the Morel Field House is completed this spring. The majority of these improvements have been funded by alumni who were themselves varsity athletes as undergraduates.

Lafayette derives immeasurable value, as well, from its affiliation with the Patriot League. The League's success is grounded in its founding principles, foremost among them the demonstrated commitment of the member institutions to the importance of academic and athletic achievement. Lafayette was proud to join League members Colgate, Holy Cross, and the Naval Academy in the NCAA's most recent list of the Division I institutions that recorded the highest graduation success rates. In addition to being leaders in the classroom, student-athletes at Patriot League schools participate fully in all phases of campus life, including extracurricular activities beyond their particular sports.

The Patriot League requires - appropriately, in my view - that its oversight be the responsibility of the schools' presidents. We take this charge seriously and work collegially and productively to fulfill our mutual goals. Most recently, as most of you know, the Council of Presidents voted to table for two years the proposal that merit scholarships be awarded in football, the only sport for which League policy stipulates that grants be offered exclusively on the basis of the student-athlete's demonstrated financial need. While I fully accept the fact that reasonable people can disagree about the merits of the outcome, it is important that everyone understand that the League presidents studied the issue thoughtfully and thoroughly before reaching their decision. After considerable discussion, we took the step that we regarded as the best means of achieving our ultimate objective: to ensure the League's long-term strength, competitiveness, and quality.

Whereas I do not know what the future holds, I believe that Lafayette is enormously fortunate to belong to the Patriot League. I remain steadfast in my commitment to the League and to the College's continued involvement in intercollegiate sports at the Division I level, and I look forward to working closely with the other presidents as we continue to advance our shared vision.

Discuss. For my part, I'm still parsing the words in an attempt to figure things out.

superman7515
February 7th, 2011, 10:17 AM
After considerable discussion, we took the step that we regarded as the best means of achieving our ultimate objective: to ensure the League's long-term strength, competitiveness, and quality.

Just my opinion, but this part sounds like someone was leaving if they made a decision either way, so the only way to keep going was to make no decision at all.

carney2
February 7th, 2011, 10:17 AM
Discuss. For my part, I'm still parsing the words in an attempt to figure things out.

The faithful are interpreting the last two paragraphs in a positive way. At the very least he did not continue with his anti-scholarship diatribe, For my part, it looks like Prez-speak PR that can be interpreted in any number of ways and will not lock him in to any position down the road. Frankly, I just think that the storm that he precipitated with his "interview" prior to the December presidents' meeting has made life a little more uncomfortable than he anticipated. He needed to say something without saying anything. Did he succeed? The interpretation will be in the eyes of the interpreter.

Lehigh Football Nation
February 7th, 2011, 12:58 PM
The faithful are interpreting the last two paragraphs in a positive way. At the very least he did not continue with his anti-scholarship diatribe, For my part, it looks like Prez-speak PR that can be interpreted in any number of ways and will not lock him in to any position down the road. Frankly, I just think that the storm that he precipitated with his "interview" prior to the December presidents' meeting has made life a little more uncomfortable than he anticipated. He needed to say something without saying anything. Did he succeed? The interpretation will be in the eyes of the interpreter.

I hear ya. Ironically, I think his problem was that his initial comments were so vague that he opened himself up to an interpretation of his decision being much more ideologically-based than it actually was. Putting my own comments aside, when he made his "stand" against scholarships in the PL there were not a few academics who applauded his decision - that, coupled with the presidents' own silence on the matter, made it seem like they were in ideological alignment.

I find it extremely interesting, though, carney, that in his comments he appears to take aim at your main observation of the matter (i.e., does he really know what he's talking about in terms of athletics?) and mine (i.e., would he seriously drop Lafayette from the Patriot League over this?). It makes one think that someone over there at the BOT is doing some message board reading in their spare time.

DFW HOYA
February 7th, 2011, 02:05 PM
Just my opinion, but this part sounds like someone was leaving if they made a decision either way, so the only way to keep going was to make no decision at all.

Who?

Bogus Megapardus
February 7th, 2011, 02:48 PM
Who?

Well, the obvious - Fordham if Nay and Georgetown if Yea. But the league wants both, obviously. I'm not opposed to another two years of same ol' if it means finding a way to keep Georgetown and Fordham in the Patriot where they both belong.

ngineer
February 7th, 2011, 03:43 PM

Good observation.

ngineer
February 7th, 2011, 03:47 PM
I agree with LFN's view that the got some heat from certain BOT members about the statement he made prior to the Council meeting. With continued hubub over the issue, I think it was 'recommended' that he issue a 'clarification' of his prior position. Not that did so, but left all doors and windows open.

RichH2
February 8th, 2011, 11:16 AM
It may be that the no decision conclusion had some good unintended consequences. Look at GU s class 1st time I can recall them getting so many local kids. Also, linemen along with their usual quota of good skill kids. Heck, they took 2 very good ones from Lehigh this year.There may of course be other factors but my unscientific feeling is that there more $$$ has been pumped into BU, GU and LC. Seems if we dont want to let Rams go we best catch up with them if not with schollies at least with $$$$$

Lafalum
February 10th, 2011, 07:33 AM
Weis was urged by alumni (read that large donors) and some members of the BOT, to "clarify" his remarks because it implied the school would leave the PL and /or Div 1 if the League went to scholarship football. He reaffirmed the schools commitment to the PL and Div 1. Note also this was approved by the BOT which essentially ends all faculty talk of Div 3, a dispute encouraged by past presidents especially Art Rothkopf. That is now off the table. Any reversal or threat to leave the league make this statement a lie, and would have severe repercussions in any fundraising.

carney2
February 10th, 2011, 08:57 AM
Good observation.

Bad observation. You've been sharing a flask of tainted rum with LFN and Oliver Stone. That threat may always be hovering just over the horizon, but I seriously doubt that anyone even strolled over to take a peek at this version of the future during these discussions.

Lehigh Football Nation
February 10th, 2011, 10:27 AM
Bad observation. You've been sharing a flask of tainted rum with LFN and Oliver Stone. That threat may always be hovering just over the horizon, but I seriously doubt that anyone even strolled over to take a peek at this version of the future during these discussions.

Are you so sure? I hope you're right, but I have to admit if you make the assumption that Fordham is leaving it changes the entire dynamic of everyone's statements - and adds a bit of sense to Dan Weiss' statement, too.

carney2
February 10th, 2011, 09:06 PM
Are you so sure?

About as certain as you are.