PDA

View Full Version : In Violation: FCS League Office Openly Violates NCAA Rules

TexasTerror
February 1st, 2011, 07:12 AM
Second violation by the conference or a member institution as it relates to verbal commitments in a year... you may recall that last year Grambling put out a release on verbal commitments for basketball...

The Southwestern Athletic Conference apparently broke NCAA rules Monday when it announced a pair of football verbal commitments to SWAC schools on its official Twitter page.

When Twitter users Steve Robertson, a Mississippi-based correspondent for Scout.com, and Ross Dellenger, who covers Jackson State athletics for the Jackson Clarion-Ledger, released information earlier Monday on verbal commitments to SWAC schools Alcorn State and Jackson State, the conference “re-Tweeted” the information.

http://www.neworleans.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=557729&Itemid=578

Panther88
February 1st, 2011, 07:31 AM
Sad, sad, sad... Must be open-enrollment in the SWAC office too. *SMGDH*

Who's the Communications Director in the SWAC offc?

mikebigg
February 1st, 2011, 09:45 AM
Oh wow... maybe they're gonna ban our football teams from the playoffs!

Lehigh Football Nation
February 1st, 2011, 09:48 AM

Alright... now THAT is funny. xlolx

Lehigh Football Nation
February 1st, 2011, 09:52 AM
Incidentally, if this actually ends up in some sort of sanction by the NCAA, it will go to show that the NCAA needs to finally give up stone tablets and make the technological jump to pen and paper. It's not like it was some sort of communique. It was a retweet of content that was written by somebody else.

IMVHO, this is different than a school coming out on signing day and giving a list of verbals on their website or stationary.

Panther88
February 1st, 2011, 10:09 AM
Incidentally, if this actually ends up in some sort of sanction by the NCAA, it will go to show that the NCAA needs to finally give up stone tablets and make the technological jump to pen and paper. It's not like it was some sort of communique. It was a retweet of content that was written by somebody else.

IMVHO, this is different than a school coming out on signing day and giving a list of verbals on their website or stationary.

Wouldn't it have been more prudent for the league office NOT to say a single word regarding football recruitment before the time period prior to NLI day? Why would they do that?

Lehigh Football Nation
February 1st, 2011, 10:19 AM
Wouldn't it have been more prudent for the league office NOT to say a single word regarding football recruitment before the time period prior to NLI day? Why would they do that?

I agree. But it's a retweet of something someone else said, which I feel is different. Much more minor.

Panther88
February 1st, 2011, 11:12 AM
I agree. But it's a retweet of something someone else said, which I feel is different. Much more minor.

We'll see what the NCAA has to say on that. Figure it, a league office alluding to something it shouldn't while falsely giving the outside world and other potential suitors the illusion that those particular recruits are seemingly hands-off or are already committed BEFORE the actual signing day? That's pretty senseless, regardless if it was electronic in nature, still pretty senseless.

DFW HOYA
February 1st, 2011, 12:48 PM
Conference offices are very, very vigilant about these things, so for the SWAC to be so careless cannot help but hurt its reputation in NCAA circles.

Panther88
February 1st, 2011, 02:39 PM
Is there an ncaa Compliance Director in the SWAC offc? xconfusedx

TexasTerror
February 1st, 2011, 07:13 PM
FYI - the 'tweets' were deleted. Guess the attention did it in...

My issue is they specifically got the words 'verbal commit' in there.

If a league or school was pointing on a Twitter to a blog that was positive about their institution or conference, that's fine (of course, unless it is someone talking about verbal commitments). You got to be very careful with what you tweet.

Conference offices are very, very vigilant about these things, so for the SWAC to be so careless cannot help but hurt its reputation in NCAA circles.

What do you feel their reputation is like now?

Is there an ncaa Compliance Director in the SWAC offc? xconfusedx

Most conference offices at the Div I level - if not all of them - have some form of compliance representation in the league office.

Panther88
February 2nd, 2011, 06:05 AM
Most conference offices at the Div I level - if not all of them - have some form of compliance representation in the league office.

It's hard for me to believe that the SWAC offc has one in place when an oversight like this occurred. If not the compliance officer, then the communication's director should've caught this as he/she is supposed to be the last line of defense w/ regards to media 411 that leaves that conf offc. I could be wrong, so if I am, someone plz correct me.

I'm also sure that a lot of folx find it embarrassing and would want to just let this die and sweep it under the rug, as numerous other inept decisions are kept there as well. They wouldn't want to see that this small(er) issue is systematic symptom of a larger problem/issue that's evident.

OhioHen
February 2nd, 2011, 06:24 AM

How about a ban on ANY post-season competition? No championship game to look forward to.

How about a ban on ANY off-campus competition? All games involving conference teams must be held on campus at their regular home field, so no "classics" including the Bayou Classic at the Superdome.

Both would impact the conference and the schools where it really hurts - $$$$$$$$$$

Panther88
February 2nd, 2011, 08:46 AM
How about a ban on ANY post-season competition? No championship game to look forward to.

How about a ban on ANY off-campus competition? All games involving conference teams must be held on campus at their regular home field, so no "classics" including the Bayou Classic at the Superdome.

Both would impact the conference and the schools where it really hurts - $$$$$$$$$$

^^^^^^^^^^^^^ Totally unrealistic.

TexasTerror
February 2nd, 2011, 11:29 AM

The conference would not be winning 'attendance national championships' anymore... already proven that the on-campus games would no better than #3 or #4 in the pecking order, if not lower...

The fans don't support their programs on campus and as you said, big financial drain. Without the 'whoring out' process in hoops and without Classics in football, these programs are not Div I. They are already poorly funded and can't truly compete at the Div I level to begin with...

gram4life
February 2nd, 2011, 01:10 PM
The conference would not be winning 'attendance national championships' anymore... already proven that the on-campus games would no better than #3 or #4 in the pecking order, if not lower...

The fans don't support their programs on campus and as you said, big financial drain. Without the 'whoring out' process in hoops and without Classics in football, these programs are not Div I. They are already poorly funded and can't truly compete at the Div I level to begin with...

Yeah, your hate is on a new level today!

TexasTerror
February 2nd, 2011, 03:28 PM
Yeah, your hate is on a new level today!

Being factual is considered hate?

I've done the math before regarding attendance on-campus at the SWAC compared to other FCS leagues. The amount of non-conference 'guarantee games' is at a very high level in the SWAC and the facts regarding them being the lowest funded athletic departments is also factual. Ask Valley.

Panther88
February 2nd, 2011, 07:15 PM
I've done the math before regarding attendance on-campus at the SWAC compared to other FCS leagues. The amount of non-conference 'guarantee games' is at a very high level in the SWAC and the facts regarding them being the lowest funded athletic departments is also factual. Ask Valley.

It's factual truth. Most won't admit though.

mikebigg
February 3rd, 2011, 01:22 AM

Not worried about that happening... We'd play those games ANYWAY!!!!