PDA

View Full Version : Portland St drops McNeese

grizindabox
February 24th, 2006, 01:15 PM
Portland St added a game at California and dropped McNeese from the 2006 schedule.

TexasTerror
February 24th, 2006, 01:18 PM
Ouch! That stinks for McNeese State. That was a home game for them too...

The Portland buyout was 50k, it is a done deal, according to McNeese faithful...

putter
February 24th, 2006, 03:14 PM
Thats too bad. I hate to see I-AA vs I-AA matchups get cancelled but I guess money talks.

mainejeff
February 24th, 2006, 03:31 PM
Man, McNeese State has the worst scheduling luck.

TexasTerror
February 24th, 2006, 03:35 PM
Man, McNeese State has the worst scheduling luck.

Didn't Southern jack them around last year or two years ago? McNeese already has two I-A games and a Div II game. Any I-AAs with openings?

Russ B
February 24th, 2006, 03:53 PM
Davis.

RabidRabbit
February 24th, 2006, 04:06 PM
Would love a home game 9/30 or 10/14, possibly 11/4?

Retro
February 24th, 2006, 05:06 PM
Mcneese needs a home game on 9/16 or another close by I-A game.. We need the money from either and the 6th home game if possible.. We have a lot to make up from the disaster of last season and may end up having another DIV II if all else fails...

wannabegaucho
February 24th, 2006, 05:19 PM
McNeese -- play Davis.

McNeese75
February 24th, 2006, 08:19 PM
McNeese -- play Davis.

Sounds good to me. The UCD AD's number has been posted on the Geauxcowboy's message board. We shall see if the call is made.

mainejeff
February 24th, 2006, 11:05 PM
Why can't McNeese and Maine get a home and home ironed out??? Cosgrove loved it down there and Maine fans had a great time. Plus we won't cancel on you.:)

McNeese75
February 24th, 2006, 11:08 PM
Why can't McNeese and Maine get a home and home ironed out??? Cosgrove loved it down there and Maine fans had a great time. Plus we won't cancel on you.:)

Needless to say Jeff, the Cowboys (and fans) would LOVE to play the Black Bears again. Afterall, were 0-2 and looking to improve :nod:

Tod
February 24th, 2006, 11:43 PM
Needless to say Jeff, the Cowboys (and fans) would LOVE to play the Black Bears again. Afterall, were 0-2 and looking to improve :nod:

McNeese is 0-2 against Maine? Wow. No offense to Maine, in fact, my great compliments to the Black Bears.

Back in the mid-90s we were visiting my wife's uncle in Lake Charles and drove by the campus. I didn't know what it was. I asked my him, "what's that"? He said it was McNeese State University. I hit the back of the front seat nearly as fast as if we'd rear-ended somebody to get a better view. At the time, I was well aware of McNeese. But I had NO idea where it was located. Had a great conversation with my wife's uncle after that.

I hope we can get a regular season game down there sometime. I'd probably be able to convince my wife to go. ;)

Hell, I'd love to see a Maine/McNeese game too. Two of my favorite non-Griz teams.

McNeese75
February 25th, 2006, 03:25 PM
McNeese is 0-2 against Maine? Wow. No offense to Maine, in fact, my great compliments to the Black Bears.

Back in the mid-90s we were visiting my wife's uncle in Lake Charles and drove by the campus. I didn't know what it was. I asked my him, "what's that"? He said it was McNeese State University. I hit the back of the front seat nearly as fast as if we'd rear-ended somebody to get a better view. At the time, I was well aware of McNeese. But I had NO idea where it was located. Had a great conversation with my wife's uncle after that.

I hope we can get a regular season game down there sometime. I'd probably be able to convince my wife to go. ;)

Hell, I'd love to see a Maine/McNeese game too. Two of my favorite non-Griz teams.

There are not many I-AA teams out there with overall winning records against the Cowboys but the Black Bears are definitly one of them. Boys played a horrible game at their house and paid the price. First round of the playoffs in our house went to them (and they deserved it).

mainejeff
February 25th, 2006, 06:04 PM
There are not many I-AA teams out there with overall winning records against the Cowboys but the Black Bears are definitly one of them. Boys played a horrible game at their house and paid the price. First round of the playoffs in our house went to them (and they deserved it).

It turned out to be a nice 2 year run for us, and there were some very talented Black Bears on the field that day......QB Jake Eaton, TE Chad Hayes, and LB Stephen Cooper all turned out to be some of the best Maine players of all time at their positions.

I'd really like to see Maine and McNeese get it done. Maybe 2007 and 2008 (especially if I-AA goes to 12 games).

blukeys
February 25th, 2006, 08:47 PM

Maine gets some great athletes. For all the criticism of Cosgrove, he is definitely an awesome recruiter and keeps Maine competitive in his ability to bring superior athletes to Orono.

The Cowboys need to talk about another trip to Newark. There is definitely fan interest there. Openings on the schedule appear to be scarce until about 2011. I am not joking. For my money I would rather see McNeese than Penn although it appears I might be in the minority on this question.

tsutiger
February 26th, 2006, 04:25 AM
Didn't Southern jack them around last year or two years ago? McNeese already has two I-A games and a Div II game. Any I-AAs with openings?

The game was canceled because of Hurricane Katrina.

mikebigg
February 26th, 2006, 04:39 AM

True... I thought the two schools would reschedule for this year. Kinda disappointed that they didn't because the fans of La would like to see the game. Would be an annual sell out on both campuses.

McNeese75
February 26th, 2006, 05:17 PM
True... I thought the two schools would reschedule for this year. Kinda disappointed that they didn't because the fans of La would like to see the game. Would be an annual sell out on both campuses.

There are rumors floating around that rescheduling the game and or another series could be in the mill but it is one of those "believe it when I see it" things. :)

McTailGator
February 26th, 2006, 07:59 PM

Jeff,

Your AD does not like a home and home so far from home.

Our guys have all but offered to pay for Maines Expenses.

BUT, we will no longer start home and homes with schools that have a reputation for cancellations like PSU and Southern.

And I think our penalty clause will more than likely go be going up, because $50K is not a penalty, it's an incentive for cancellation of a return trip.

McTailGator
February 26th, 2006, 08:03 PM
Maine gets some great athletes. For all the criticism of Cosgrove, he is definitely an awesome recruiter and keeps Maine competitive in his ability to bring superior athletes to Orono.

The Cowboys need to talk about another trip to Newark. There is definitely fan interest there. Openings on the schedule appear to be scarce until about 2011. I am not joking. For my money I would rather see McNeese than Penn although it appears I might be in the minority on this question.

I'd like to play the Blue Hens as well.

But after PSU, FIU, and Southern's screwings, don't be upset if we ask for a home game FIRST, and then we will go to Newark.

McTailGator
February 26th, 2006, 08:05 PM

That was their excuse...
The weather was fine in Lake Charles during Katrina.

Fine enough for SU's Soccor Team to come play the Cowgirls.

Southern is not an honorable program when it comes to honoring commitments to return games.

mikebigg
February 26th, 2006, 08:36 PM
That was their excuse...

Southern is not an honorable program when it comes to honoring commitments to return games.

In all seriousness, has there been any talk of them making the game up next season or has it been dropped all together. In Southern's defense (and something you probably could care less about), perhaps they needed to have a home game this year to balance out their schedule. If that's the case, it might be more advantageous to try to get them to come to Lake Charles next year.

DaGriz
February 26th, 2006, 10:13 PM

This isn't the boy scouts. This is a business, peoples jobs are on the line every year. Whether it's money, safety, balancing out a schedule, or somebody just changes their mind, you have to think "me first" in this industry and do what's right for your program or you won't last long. Honoring your commitment is for friends and family and significant others, this is a business. If you don't like it, beat them in the playoffs.

JALMOND
February 27th, 2006, 12:42 AM
What I think happened here is pretty simple. As much as PSU wanted to return the favor of playing McNeese, economics entered into the picture. PSU's football program lost the most of any D-I program in Oregon last year and with conference games in both Bozeman and Flagstaff as well as the opener in Albuquerque, to go to Lake Charles would have blew the budget out of the water. Much cheaper to go from Portland to the Bay Area than most I-AA games, including in-conference games. Also the schedule needed a boost due to the playing of Southern Oregon (NAIA school) this year.

mainejeff
February 27th, 2006, 12:51 AM
Jeff,

Your AD does not like a home and home so far from home.

Our guys have all but offered to pay for Maines Expenses.

BUT, we will no longer start home and homes with schools that have a reputation for cancellations like PSU and Southern.

And I think our penalty clause will more than likely go be going up, because $50K is not a penalty, it's an incentive for cancellation of a return trip.

It will be too late for 2006, but try again. Maine has the dreaded "interim AD" right now. He could be the permanent one eventually or it could be someone else running the show in Orono next fall. In either case, the person that you refer to (Patrick Nero) is no longer AD at Maine.

mainejeff
February 27th, 2006, 12:54 AM
This isn't the boy scouts. This is a business, peoples jobs are on the line every year. Whether it's money, safety, balancing out a schedule, or somebody just changes their mind, you have to think "me first" in this industry and do what's right for your program or you won't last long. Honoring your commitment is for friends and family and significant others, this is a business. If you don't like it, beat them in the playoffs.

Or fine them $100,000 (or whatever) per the contract buyout.....it's just business. Right?

mikebigg
February 27th, 2006, 07:31 AM
Ecomomics has a lot to do with the scheduling these days...SU lost a home game last year due to the Hurricane season. Had they gone to McNeese this year, they would have lost another home game this year as well. Perhaps they just couldn't afford to forego a home game revenue and play in Lake Charles. I know this screws McNeese, but hopefully you the Cowboys can get someone to come down for a one game matchup so that their budget doesn't take a big hit. McNeese runs a class program and I want to see teams from "Da Boot" really do well.

If I was the AD at McNeese, I would continue my talks with SU folk about them coming to Lake Charles next year. The game will be a sellout!

henfan
February 27th, 2006, 10:52 AM
Just read that McNeese & Davis are talking. Now, right there's a game I'd pay good money to see.

http://www.davisenterprise.com/articles/2006/02/26/sports/aggies/308spt4.txt

McNeese75
February 27th, 2006, 02:58 PM
What I think happened here is pretty simple. As much as PSU wanted to return the favor of playing McNeese, economics entered into the picture. PSU's football program lost the most of any D-I program in Oregon last year and with conference games in both Bozeman and Flagstaff as well as the opener in Albuquerque, to go to Lake Charles would have blew the budget out of the water. Much cheaper to go from Portland to the Bay Area than most I-AA games, including in-conference games. Also the schedule needed a boost due to the playing of Southern Oregon (NAIA school) this year.

I have to agree about the economics of this move. The change was made for a I-A school. Now, if PSU had cancelled to schedule another I-AA home game, THAT would have been a different story. I do wish they could reschedule the return game for another season.

On the flip side, Regarding blowing a budget out of the water, It's not like we made any money coming to your house in 04. :rolleyes:

McNeese75
February 27th, 2006, 03:08 PM
If you don't like it, beat them in the playoffs.

:D , nuff said about that possibility.

You are right, it's all about the money. Until our AD gets a backbone and starts including a punitive buyout in the contracts, these little skip outs will continue.

JohnStOnge
February 27th, 2006, 07:12 PM
It turned out to be a nice 2 year run for us, and there were some very talented Black Bears on the field that day......QB Jake Eaton, TE Chad Hayes, and LB Stephen Cooper all turned out to be some of the best Maine players of all time at their positions.

I'd really like to see Maine and McNeese get it done. Maybe 2007 and 2008 (especially if I-AA goes to 12 games).

If you're talking about the playoff game, I think the guy who made the difference in the game for Maine was the running back. I think his name was Royston English or something like that.

JohnStOnge
February 27th, 2006, 07:18 PM
Just read that McNeese & Davis are talking. Now, right there's a game I'd pay good money to see.

Only problem is it reads like UCD wants to play at home. McNeese can't afford that at this point. If it were a home game at McNeese that'd be great. I actually would rather see that game than Portland State.

GAD
February 27th, 2006, 07:23 PM
That was their excuse...

Did any college teams in south LA. play that weekend?

aggie6thman
February 27th, 2006, 07:36 PM
From what I have heard, the UC Davis coaching staff is not too excited to travel to the swampland in the middle of September to play McNeese. I think it would be a good game, but we will see if it is scheduled.

slostang
February 27th, 2006, 08:11 PM
I think a game with UC Davis and McNeese State would be a good game of the week if it were to happen.

February 27th, 2006, 08:25 PM
Did any college teams in south LA. play that weekend?SLC games that weekend:
Thu 9/1/2005 Bacone College at Sam Houston State Sam Houston State 77-7
Thu 9/1/2005 Henderson State at Stephen F. Austin Stephen F. Austin 49-38
Thu 9/1/2005 Northwestern State at UL-Monroe Northwestern State 27-23
Sat 9/3/2005 Delta State at Texas State Texas State 32-25
Sat 9/3/2005 Nicholls State at Utah State Cancelled
Thu 9/1/2005 Jacksonville at Southeastern Louisiana Cancelled
Sat 9/3/2005 Southern at McNeese State Cancelled

As has been mentioned other Southern teams played at McNeese State that weekend so the question's answer is yes.

Retro
February 27th, 2006, 09:01 PM
From what I have heard, the UC Davis coaching staff is not too excited to travel to the swampland in the middle of September to play McNeese

Don't tell me you have a football team afraid to sweat a little?

ucdtim17
February 27th, 2006, 09:19 PM
Don't tell me you have a football team afraid to sweat a little?

The average high in Davis 9/16 is 86. The players will be a few weeks out of training camp in the 90s and 100s. There's a reason all the early season games at Davis are played at night.

gram4life
February 27th, 2006, 09:22 PM
SLC games that weekend:

As has been mentioned other Southern teams played at McNeese State that weekend so the question's answer is yes.

word games SMH

February 27th, 2006, 09:27 PM
SLC games that weekend:

word games SMHJust the facts. Why are you shaking your head? Some other SWAC games that weekend:
Sat 9/3/2005 Jackson State at Hampton Hampton 20-7
Sat 9/3/2005 Arkansas-Pine Bluff at Mississippi Valley State Mississippi Valley State 30-11
Sat 9/3/2005 South Carolina State at Alabama State South Carolina State 27-14
Sat 9/3/2005 Alabama A&M at Tennessee State Alabama A&M 27-14
Sat 9/3/2005 Prairie View A&M at Texas Southern Rescheduled

GAD
February 27th, 2006, 10:31 PM
SLC games that weekend:

Many of the KIDS on our team are from New Orleans and at that time did not know if there families were dead or alive. There might only be two girls on the soccer team from New Orleans so they were still able to play.
I guess.

February 27th, 2006, 10:35 PM
Many of the KIDS on our team are from New Orleans and at that time did not know if there families were dead or alive. There might only be two girls on the soccer team from New Orleans so they were still able to play.
I guess.Yeah, I know. Circumstances for each team are different.

McNeese75
February 27th, 2006, 11:02 PM
The average high in Davis 9/16 is 86. The players will be a few weeks out of training camp in the 90s and 100s. There's a reason all the early season games at Davis are played at night.

Then there obviously is no reason for them to come to the "HOLE". Add a little humidity to what your team is already training in (ummmm lets say 95% or so) and you should feel right at home. Just ask the Griz about the difference when they came to Huntsville early in the 2004 season. :D

McTailGator
February 28th, 2006, 07:28 PM
In all seriousness, has there been any talk of them making the game up next season or has it been dropped all together. In Southern's defense (and something you probably could care less about), perhaps they needed to have a home game this year to balance out their schedule. If that's the case, it might be more advantageous to try to get them to come to Lake Charles next year.

They are not interested in coming to Lake Charles.

Perhaps it was the @$$ whipping we put on them on their home turf with one of our worst teams in history.

what do you think?

McTailGator
February 28th, 2006, 07:31 PM

We're talking about Southern. They don't do playoffs.

THEY BROKE A BUSINESS COMMITMENT TO US, AND HAVE ACTUALLY TRIED TO WIEZEL OUT OF THE PENALTY AS WELL.

AND HONOR DOES MEAN SOMETHING WHEN IT COMES TO THE START OF NEGOTIATIONS.

McTailGator
February 28th, 2006, 07:33 PM
It will be too late for 2006, but try again. Maine has the dreaded "interim AD" right now. He could be the permanent one eventually or it could be someone else running the show in Orono next fall. In either case, the person that you refer to (Patrick Nero) is no longer AD at Maine.

lol...McNeese has had an interim AD for 8 years now.

We've been waiting on a real one for some time now.;)

McTailGator
February 28th, 2006, 07:39 PM

I wonder who made the first call?

Our internet fans quickly made some noise when we found out that UCD needed an away game.

We really want a 6th home game, and if UCD comes to LC, we would have chosen them over 3 potential I-A money games.

blukeys
February 28th, 2006, 07:39 PM
lol...McNeese has had an interim AD for 8 years now.

We've been waiting on a real one for some time now.;)

We've been waiting for a real AD as well but ours is not interim. He's in charge of making sure we have a playable football field.

McTailGator
February 28th, 2006, 07:42 PM
Or fine them $100,000 (or whatever) per the contract buyout.....it's just business. Right?

McNeese has gotten burned 3 times in the last 2 years with that little $50K penalty. 1st FIU, then Southern, now PSU.

I say 50K is not a penalty, it's AN INCENTIVE to get McNeese to give the home team a big gate, and then drop us for a bigger pay day.

Now 50K PLUS expenses of travel MAYBE.

McTailGator
February 28th, 2006, 07:48 PM

So what your saying is...

It was OK for McNeese to invest $95,000 in expenses to go play a game in Portland first, and only expect $50K instead of our usual $190,000 home game profit?

McNeese has ALWAYS honored it's WORD and it's contracts, and WOULD NEVER allow a team to fly to Lake Charles and loose money after we gave our word to a team that we would go there and give them a chance to make up their costs at their gate.

And if we ever did, I'd march into our AD's office and our Presidents office, chew their asses out and then make their lives hell for it.

WE DON'T DO BUSINESS THAT WAY...

McTailGator
February 28th, 2006, 07:54 PM

YES,

SOUTHERNS SOCCOR TEAM PLAYED IN LAKE CHARLES THAT WEEKEND.

We offered your team a place to escape to along with your soccor, and you chose to duck instead.

SochorField
February 28th, 2006, 07:56 PM
I believe UC Davis wants a home game and does not want to travel to McNeese....not sure though.

McTailGator
February 28th, 2006, 07:56 PM
From what I have heard, the UC Davis coaching staff is not too excited to travel to the swampland in the middle of September to play McNeese. I think it would be a good game, but we will see if it is scheduled.

SWAMP?

Suggest your coaches look at a topo map of Lake Charles.

Not a lost of swamp in the city or on campus.

Both teams have to play in it.

McTailGator
February 28th, 2006, 07:59 PM

McNeese plays all of it's games at night, the way GOD intended football to be played.

Unless a Hurricane blow our lights down again.

Tod
February 28th, 2006, 08:06 PM
McNeese plays all of it's games at night, the way GOD intended football to be played.

Unless a Hurricane blow our lights down again.

See any irony in these two statements? :D

McTailGator
February 28th, 2006, 08:08 PM
I guess.

Bull ***** !

We have the same % of kids from from the N.O. area.

So does, Grambling, Alcorn State, and many of the teams mentioned on Ralphs list.

PLUS, YOUR SOCCER TEAM PROBABLY HAS THE SAME PERCENTAGE OF PLAYERS FROM NEW ORLEANS AS YOUR FOOTBALL TEAM DID.

SOUTHERN DUCKED...PURE AND SIMPLE.

Don't bother arguing about it, pressur your school to sign a contract for a 3 game series. The first 2 in Lake Charles in 2007 and 2008, and the last one in Baton Rouge in 2009.

Only then I'll believe Southern is an honorable program.

Until then, go ask your soccer coach why he (or she) played in Lake Charles on the same day your football team should have been there.

McTailGator
February 28th, 2006, 08:10 PM
Yeah, I know. Circumstances for each team are different.

I guess he didn't see the number of New Orleans Cowboys on our roster did he.

It was Sunny and 85 degrees in Lake Charles during Katrina. We offered them a place of refuge.

McTailGator
February 28th, 2006, 08:11 PM
I believe UC Davis wants a home game and does not want to travel to McNeese....not sure though.

Then there will be no deal.

McNeese will only sign a deal where UCD comes to LC first.

McTailGator
February 28th, 2006, 08:14 PM
See any irony in these two statements? :D

Yea,

HURRY UP AND PUT SOME NEW ONES UP!!!

wannabegaucho
February 28th, 2006, 08:41 PM
Then there will be no deal.

McNeese will only sign a deal where UCD comes to LC first.
I pray McNeese gives the return game. Other than that, I think it'd be good.

mikebigg
February 28th, 2006, 08:57 PM
I was wondering why the two teams didn't decide to play this game during the week after the Bayou Classic. SU was out of the Western Division contention late into the season and McNeese got eliminated from the Southland Conference prior to the Bayou Classic. Hell, Grambling made up a game against Alcorn even though it had no bearing on the Championship.

Was this scenario even discussed between the two teams...does anyone know this to have been the case?

TexasTerror
February 28th, 2006, 09:02 PM
Would have had to be thrown together late in the "game" and that probably would not have been beneficial or good for "business" for either of the two schools...

slostang
February 28th, 2006, 10:25 PM
I think Cal Poly may have an openning on Sept. 30th. McNeese State's bye is scheduled for that day. Only problem is that Cal Poly only has 4 home games and is looking for a 5th. A home and home with McNeese at Poly in 2006 and Poly at McNeese in 2007 would be awesome. I know that McNeese wants a home game this season, but it would definately be a great game.

McNeese75
February 28th, 2006, 10:55 PM
I was wondering why the two teams didn't decide to play this game during the week after the Bayou Classic. SU was out of the Western Division contention late into the season and McNeese got eliminated from the Southland Conference prior to the Bayou Classic. Hell, Grambling made up a game against Alcorn even though it had no bearing on the Championship.

Was this scenario even discussed between the two teams...does anyone know this to have been the case?

There was some discussion about it on the message boards but not sure if there was anything between the schools. I do remember there was no interest from most of the Jag posters.

SUjagTILLiDIE
February 28th, 2006, 11:16 PM
SOUTHERN DUCKED...PURE AND SIMPLE.

Don't bother arguing about it, pressur your school to sign a contract for a 3 game series. The first 2 in Lake Charles in 2007 and 2008, and the last one in Baton Rouge in 2009.

Only then I'll believe Southern is an honorable program.

Until then, go ask your soccer coach why he (or she) played in Lake Charles on the same day your football team should have been there.
You have a serious problem. There was a natural disaster going on and you are worried about a Damn football game. Who cares if you think SU is honorable. xlolx Hopefully we will have Famu and Tenn St. on our schedule in 2007.

February 28th, 2006, 11:18 PM
:argue:

bluedog
March 1st, 2006, 05:30 AM
You have a serious problem. There was a natural disaster going on and you are worried about a Damn football game. Who cares if you think SU is honorable. xlolx Hopefully we will have Famu and Tenn St. on our schedule in 2007.

Remember they don't play for the money they play for pride. xlolx

bluedog
March 1st, 2006, 05:33 AM

MikeBi** after the two losse to McNeese why did doug say he wouldn't reschedule them anymore. Why haven't they been reshedule after doug left insted of concordia?

mikebigg
March 1st, 2006, 06:41 AM
MikeBi** after the two losse to McNeese why did doug say he wouldn't reschedule them anymore. Why haven't they been reshedule after doug left insted of concordia?

Don't even front... Doug played them as per the contract. He didn't reschedule them because he preferred playing "traditional" opponents.
I didn't agree with him, but that was his decision (which at the time was too much authority for my liking). But he didn't run from them like Richardson has done... that's how he operates though. After all you guys dropped FAMU, Nichols, and Northwestern after the results started to consistently go against SU. The Concordia game was all we could get AT HOME without guaranteeing a return game. But we didn't run like Pete.

But seems you're kinda like Pete... ducking and diverting. Answer the McNeese folk about why yall running like puddy tats!

McNeese72
March 1st, 2006, 07:35 AM

That would be kind of hard to do!!!

Doc

SUjagTILLiDIE
March 1st, 2006, 09:22 AM
Don't even front... Doug played them as per the contract. He didn't reschedule them because he preferred playing "traditional" opponents.
I didn't agree with him, but that was his decision (which at the time was too much authority for my liking). But he didn't run from them like Richardson has done... that's how he operates though. After all you guys dropped FAMU, Nichols, and Northwestern after the results started to consistently go against SU. The Concordia game was all we could get AT HOME without guaranteeing a return game. But we didn't run like Pete.

But seems you're kinda like Pete... ducking and diverting. Answer the McNeese folk about why yall running like puddy tats!
You need to stop. :nonono2:

GAD
March 1st, 2006, 10:30 AM
Man all some people care about is football

March 1st, 2006, 06:47 PM
Man all some people care about is footballWell, this IS Any Given Saturday... maybe there is a football bias? :nod:

JohnStOnge
March 1st, 2006, 07:01 PM
On the Southern/McNeese/Katrina thing. I live in Prarieville, which is a suburb of Baton Rouge to the southeast. The way I look at it, it's hard to crticize either decision Southern would've made. I think the game could've been played. I'll admit that, living here in the Baton Rouge area, I was surprised when Southern opted out. It just wasn't that bad around here.

But it's one of those situations where it's awfully hard to criticize canceling too.

I don't buy the New Orleans native players argument, though. New Orleans native players were playing all over the country. In fact, I remember that as being a point of emphasis in college football games that were televised. Lots of stories about players from New Orleans who had to handle concerns about family and friends.

bluedog
March 1st, 2006, 09:14 PM

There you go inadvertently showing how much more SUperior we are then our country cuzins again by admitting that we have the power to see into the future and that we should have known that McNesse wouldn't be in the playoffs and we should have act accordingly and advise them as such.

I understand both your side of views MikeBi** because even if we would have miss that prediction we could have just changed all Ncaa rules and made McNeese add us to their schedule in the middle of the year no matter how many games they had.

Mikebi** you so smart I just :bow: , you must have went to that northern school.

Now tell me again why *ram haven't schedule McNeese after doug left?

bluedog
March 1st, 2006, 09:20 PM
On the Southern/McNeese/Katrina thing. I live in Prarieville, which is a suburb of Baton Rouge to the southeast. The way I look at it, it's hard to crticize either decision Southern would've made. I think the game could've been played. I'll admit that, living here in the Baton Rouge area, I was surprised when Southern opted out. It just wasn't that bad around here.

But it's one of those situations where it's awfully hard to criticize canceling too.

I don't buy the New Orleans native players argument, though. New Orleans native players were playing all over the country. In fact, I remember that as being a point of emphasis in college football games that were televised. Lots of stories about players from New Orleans who had to handle concerns about family and friends.

Hurricane Katrina Postpones McNeese State Game (http://www.nbc5i.com/cfoot598/4917097/detail.html)

POSTED: 6:34 pm CDT August 30, 2005
Email This Story | Print This Story

Lake Charles, LA -- McNeese State announced Tuesday that this Saturday's game against Southern has been postponed due to the impact of Hurricane Katrina.

"Because of the great tragedy caused by Hurricane Katrina, officials at Southern University have decided that the football game between McNeese and Southern should not be played," said McNeese president Dr. Robert Hebert. "We at McNeese understand their feelings and concur with their decision as a gesture of respect for all of those affected by the tragic events brought on by the storm."

"We felt it was a necessary move due to the unfortunate tragedy that is occurring in New Orleans, and surrounding parishes," Southern chancellor and interim president Dr. Edward Jackson added. "We want to help and assist in any way possible to help the recovery effort for our state. We have a campus in New Orleans and all of our thoughts and prayers are with them and their families, as well as everyone in the state of Louisiana."

There has been no makeup date announced.

There's a big difference when you're running the second largest University system in the state, your concern are far more reaching then a football game.

mikebigg
March 2nd, 2006, 03:29 AM
You need to stop. :nonono2:

Ok...but BlueDog knows the deal.

Mod11
March 2nd, 2006, 11:23 PM
This thread has run it's course.