PDA

View Full Version : Another Interesting Fordham Scholly Case Study

Lehigh Football Nation
January 27th, 2011, 10:25 AM
http://varsityinsider.lohudblogs.com/2011/01/27/football-difusco-commits-to-fordham/

DiFusco is the second of four children in his family, which was struck by tragedy four years ago when his father, Victor Sr., died suddenly of a heart attack. His oldest sister attends college at Pace, but his two younger sisters are still teenagers.

DiFusco said this situation was not the sole reason he chose Fordham. He fielded several offers from Division I-AA and Division II programs and had inherited a college fund that would’ve covered most of, if not all of, the rest so his mother didn’t have to.

“In my eyes, my goal was I didn’t want her to pay anything,” he said. “I had the opportunity not to, and it was the best fit for me. Now (the fund) can go down to somebody else.”

DiFusco's case is not uncommon for potential high-academic PL players. While they have the ability to pay (that college fund would have counted as ability to pay in this case), his scholarship allows one of his siblings instead to use that fund.

All families are different, but who is willing to sand up and say that he should have made the decision to go to, say, Holy Cross with their need-based aid formula and use up his fund for the sake of a Holy Cross education?

People talk a lot about how kids should be "invested" in education and how a non-scholarship education furthers that goal. On the ground, though, there are very different situations at work.

Discuss.

CFBfan
January 27th, 2011, 11:04 AM
http://varsityinsider.lohudblogs.com/2011/01/27/football-difusco-commits-to-fordham/

DiFusco's case is not uncommon for potential high-academic PL players. While they have the ability to pay (that college fund would have counted as ability to pay in this case), his scholarship allows one of his siblings instead to use that fund.

All families are different, but who is willing to sand up and say that he should have made the decision to go to, say, Holy Cross with their need-based aid formula and use up his fund for the sake of a Holy Cross education?

People talk a lot about how kids should be "invested" in education and how a non-scholarship education furthers that goal. On the ground, though, there are very different situations at work.

Discuss.
so much converstion, debate, postings, etc on this. I don't see not do I think anyone argues that scholarships are a bad thing. I think that we (excluding PL Pres) all agree that schollies are favorable and desired. From a pure financial point it's a no brainer for recruits when looking a reasonably equal options.

Franks Tanks
January 27th, 2011, 11:09 AM
so much converstion, debate, postings, etc on this. I don't see not do I think anyone argues that scholarships are a bad thing. I think that we (excluding PL Pres) all agree that schollies are favorable and desired. From a pure financial point it's a no brainer for recruits when looking a reasonably equal options.

Pretty cut and dry. Who could argue against his decision, even if his father was still around.

1standgoal
January 27th, 2011, 11:46 AM
Good story for a good family....

Wildcat80
January 27th, 2011, 11:56 AM
Amen!!! The problem with non athletic grants in aid!

superman7515
January 27th, 2011, 12:52 PM
Not really much to discuss there. The kid did what was best for him AND his family. Kudos to him for a smart decision and making the system work out for the best.

Lehigh Football Nation
January 27th, 2011, 01:02 PM

Agreed, but I'm going to post things like this until people "get it". If you think this is bad, wait until after recruiting season.

Fordham
January 27th, 2011, 01:41 PM
Agreed, but I'm going to post things like this until people "get it". If you think this is bad, wait until after recruiting season.

I have to admit that it's fun to come on here and see us referenced for our recruiting successes. The truth is, though, that we never really know how any of these kids will pan out. That said, in talking with the coaches, there is no way we get into the conversation with a bunch of these kids as well as a few from last year, without the opportunity for a free ride.

I'm curious about your "wait until after recruiting season' comment ... what does that mean? Are you hearing that things are going poorly overall? I figured that the uncertainty over scholarship might really hurt this class for you guys (non-scholly PL) since I had heard that you were targeting kids you thought you'd be able to offer scholarships to and then had to shift back to the need-based aid after the announcement in Dec. That said, Colgate's board seems pretty high on this year's commits, if I'm reading it right. That's what made me curious about your comment.

Lehigh Football Nation
January 27th, 2011, 02:19 PM
I'm curious about your "wait until after recruiting season' comment ... what does that mean? Are you hearing that things are going poorly overall?

Don't read into that much, I just meant that I like to not emphasize the scholarship debate until after recruiting season, so I'm not an influence on recruting anywhere in the PL.

FWIW I have a pretty robust recruiting class from you guys and Colgate. Tomorrow I'll post my entire Patriot League commit tracker. But my early impressions are that you and Colgate have really gotten some great kids.

CFBfan
January 27th, 2011, 03:03 PM

I think "people" do get it, It's the PL presidents that don't and I'm pretty sure that they are not reading this nor are they influenced by it so who are the "people" on here that you want to "get it" and at the end of the day what difference will it make??

CFBfan
January 27th, 2011, 03:20 PM
Pretty cut and dry. Who could argue against his decision, even if his father was still around.

Noticed it was your birthday....Happy Birthday Frank, have a drink for me I need it!

superman7515
January 30th, 2011, 05:47 PM
QB John Loughery of Penn Charter has turned down offers from Princeton and Holy Cross and instead will play at Valley Forge Military Academy. Trying to improve his stock to get into an FBS school maybe?