PDA

View Full Version : South Alabama Payout?

Captain
January 27th, 2011, 05:55 AM
I was wondering if anyone knew how much South Alabama paid Nicholls State for their game last year?

UT Martin is playing a guarantee game at USA this year and I was curious about the amount of money it will bring. The Skyhawks are also playing at Mississippi State in 2011.

TexasTerror
January 27th, 2011, 11:17 AM
Situation was different...

Nicholls did not get much as UT-Martin probably will, as USA was unclassified then.

DG Cowboy
January 27th, 2011, 03:24 PM
The best I can find out is that Nicholls made $650,000 on three 2010 games with San Diego State, Western Michigan, and South Alabama. Sorry, I can't find a breakdown of the $650,000.

1andDone
January 27th, 2011, 06:59 PM
Just, a question why should USA have to payout, when are on the same level

tractorapp
January 27th, 2011, 07:07 PM

I would assue there is no return game, or a home/home arrangement.

Franks Tanks
January 28th, 2011, 09:37 AM

No team ever "has" to pay out. Payouts are however usually needed to get the deal done when one team plays a road game and doesn't get a return trip. A payout is not mandated in anyway.

BamaJag13
January 31st, 2011, 08:52 PM
I might be wrong, but I remember reading that it was $100,000.

TexasTerror
February 1st, 2011, 07:15 PM
Because you are paying for an extra home game. It really doesn't matter what level the school is on, though the higher the division of the school you bring in, the higher you are likely to pay. The profile of the opponent also matters. For example, it would probably cost you a bit more to bring in Division II Northwest Missouri (perennial Division II power) then it would to host Division 1 FCS Howard or Presbyterian (perennial FCS cellar dwellers).

Do you have facts to prove that? Your posts continue to be a stretch of anything close to fact.

I have a hard time believing you would have to pay more for a Division II instead of a Division I unless there was significant travel costs associated with the Div II team coming your way compared to the Div I...

cmaxwellgsu
February 1st, 2011, 11:24 PM
I'm not saying it happens all the time, but you can't ask a really good Division II school to take less money than a really, really bad FCS school. Sometimes it happens especially if the FCS school looking to host the Division II school is really bad themselves. The DII school might take less money with the belief that a victory is practically assured. I've taken college level Sports Admin classes and have seen and heard these same topics discussed. So, I know that what I am talking about is textbook athletic department dealings.

There's a massive flaw in your logic. A win over that bad FCS team will count toward your playoff total while the DII win will not. This bit us at GSU in 2007. We won seven games, but one was against DII West Ga. So we were done before Thanksgiving. Most FCS teams are not busting at the seams with cash, so you're going to use that when negotiating with that DII team's AD. Playing down does nothing for your program, so you might as well get the DII team on the cheap.

TexasTerror
February 2nd, 2011, 07:22 AM
Lastly, what other posts have I made that you claim "continue to stretch of anything close to fact" because there's nothing I've posted that isn't backed by facts and realistic trends?

This post lacks facts and realistic trends. Can you provide examples?

Weren't you booted from NCAA BBS because of doing things like this? Making outlandish claims?

There are people on these forums that work in college athletics and/or have a long affiliation with the inside of college athletics. You are not really fooling anyone.

TexasTerror
February 2nd, 2011, 03:29 PM
So what I'm talking probably doesn't happen at Sam Houston State, but it does happen, and it's incredibly vain to believe that a strong Division II team NEVER receives a payout higher than a very, very, very, very, very, very BAD FCS team.

Outside of the non-scholarship Division I programs... what constitutes a 'very, very, very, very, very, very BAD FCS team"?

Also, do you have proof (as in a story) regarding the payout from No Colorado to Adams State?

EdubAlum
February 2nd, 2011, 04:19 PM
Outside of the non-scholarship Division I programs... what constitutes a 'very, very, very, very, very, very BAD FCS team"?

Idaho State:)

th0m
February 2nd, 2011, 05:20 PM
While we're on the subject of payouts, does anyone know how much the payouts are between FBS schools? Of course there are a lot of factors such as BCS or not, competitive or not, local etc. But FBS schedule one-and-done with other FBS teams as well, I wonder how the compare against some of the higher payouts for FCS teams.

Redhawk2010
February 2nd, 2011, 06:08 PM
I think I read that Ball State got $800k to go to Iowa last year. Or maybe this year. Texas paid somebody almost a million dollars last year.

Twentysix
February 2nd, 2011, 06:21 PM
While we're on the subject of payouts, does anyone know how much the payouts are between FBS schools? Of course there are a lot of factors such as BCS or not, competitive or not, local etc. But FBS schedule one-and-done with other FBS teams as well, I wonder how the compare against some of the higher payouts for FCS teams.

I believe FBS payouts are pretty high by comparison. mostly everything costs more to be in the FBS, part of why being a crappy school in the FBS is pretty unattractive to most good FCS schools.

TexasTerror
February 3rd, 2011, 06:41 AM
I'm not oblivious to what goes on with Adams State College, and I know for a fact that Northern Colorado paid the school at least $100K plus travel expenses for the 6 or 7 hour trip from Alamosa, Colorado to Greeley!

I have a hard time believing this based on Northern Colorado's attendance..

The only way I'll possibly believe you - and it is hard to do so based on your reputation on other forums - is if the game contract was signed late due to NoCo's inability to find another home game or someone dropping. Talked to a league AD and conference commissioner and they stated most guarantee games to Div II schools range from $20k to $45k. Said it is rising, particularly when schools are scrambling late, but not much more than those figures... go figure!