I group teams into 4 categories (no specific order within):

Title Contenders: William & Mary, Delaware, UMass

In Contention: New Hampshire, Rhode Island, Richmond, Villanova

Back in the Pack: James Madison, Old Dominion, Maine

Basement: Towson

Let's hear yours....

Wildcat80
January 25th, 2011, 03:42 PM
Sorry UNH HAS to be a contender---as we were last year! Yes we lose our QB but many UNH fans expect an experienced Decker to be better than Toman. We return #1 RB Peters, WR Orlando, two TE's-Jeannot & Cullen, 4 out of 5 O-Linemen, and our FG kicker on Offense. Defense needs some newer guys to replace big hitters but we have more than 10 guys with experience-including our best LB Evans plus-Buzbee, best DE-McNally & Jenkins, Colbert, Smith & Murray, and DB-Flemings & Walker, Beranger & Sargent. UNH has had solid recruiting classes with almost every frosh redshirted. UNH fans do NOT expect any dropoff!

Brad82
January 25th, 2011, 07:11 PM
Yes,I think Rhody can finally do something serious,wouldn't it be a kick in the arse,if they went out of CAA with a bang?

VBR_Productions
January 25th, 2011, 09:43 PM

Let's hear yours....

Doesn't Delaware lose a lot from its defense, not to mention a QB who threw 22 TD's against 2 INT's? It's a solid program so I'm sure there are players waiting in the wings, but have they proven themselves?

How will the off-field issues with James Madison affect their program?

Can Old Dominion win more than one conference game? I say they beat Towson (it's in Norfolk) and beat a second team for two wins.

Towson will be significantly improved by 2012. Coach Ambrose knows what he's doing and needs to get a couple recruiting classes of his own players cycled through the program.

VT Wildcat Fan53
January 25th, 2011, 10:03 PM
Yes,I think Rhody can finally do something serious,wouldn't it be a kick in the arse,if they went out of CAA with a bang?

Yes, I think you may be right.... and it would be pretty ironic, ....

BlueHenSinfonian
January 25th, 2011, 10:27 PM
Doesn't Delaware lose a lot from its defense, not to mention a QB who threw 22 TD's against 2 INT's? It's a solid program so I'm sure there are players waiting in the wings, but have they proven themselves?

How will the off-field issues with James Madison affect their program?

Can Old Dominion win more than one conference game? I say they beat Towson (it's in Norfolk) and beat a second team for two wins.

Towson will be significantly improved by 2012. Coach Ambrose knows what he's doing and needs to get a couple recruiting classes of his own players cycled through the program.

Delaware does lose some key defensive players, and that if anything will be what hurts us this coming year. On the offensive front, yes, Devlin was great, but Sasek showed a lot of promise, and there are rumors of another blue chip transfer QB waiting somewhere in the wings. More importantly, Pierce and Hayes are both returning, and with a year of experience under their belts, the run game will be better than ever.

As far as JMU goes, we'll have to see what the fallout is from the fight this week - if football players really were involved, if so which ones, and what happens to them.

ODU wasn't a pushover team this year, and will be even better next. I don't expect them to make a run for the CAA title, but a win over Towson is certainly doable, and opening up against Campbell, GA State, and Hampton sets the state for ODU starting the season 3-0 pretty easily.

Tribe4SF
January 26th, 2011, 12:57 AM

Let's hear yours....

I'd put UNH in the title contenders group. They won't miss a beat at QB with Decker, and look pretty solid on both sides of the ball. Depending on how they weather their players legal issues, JMU returns plenty, and may have solved their QB issue with Cosh. If they can keep the bulk of that defense in school, they should be in it too.

HailSzczur
January 26th, 2011, 02:51 PM
To tell you the truth, im not sure how Nova's gonna look this year. we lost 4 rushers (ball, babarro, whitney, szczur) who could all go for 100yds any given day. The left side of our line is gone, and no one can plug ijalana's hole. Im not even sure who our QB is. Whitney's backup was a walk on because the other freshmen QB was red shirting. However the future is bright for RB Lawerence Dawes and WR Norman White, who had 3TDs in the massacre of SFA
on defense we lose some, but not a staggering as offense

The team should still be decent next year. NC worthy- no, CAA title worthy-no, but possible squeaking into the playoffs

WrenFGun
January 26th, 2011, 03:06 PM
I think UNH's offense will evolve next year now that they have a more accurate, higher Football IQ type at QB in Decker. I don't think we'll see some of the spectacular deep throws that Toman made throughout his career, but I think we'll see more sustaining drives and moving the chains, which is something I prefer in the CAA. I think we'll see less INT's, less turnovers and at least similar if not better offensive production. I think at RB, Chris Setian and Dontra Peters form an established 1-2 combo (Peters should get much of the workload, but Setian is a beast). Nico Steriti and Jimmy Owens are a couple of hyped RS FR who could make noise as the 3rd RB. We return Joey Orlando at WR, and both Sean Cullen and Chris Jeannot at TE, but the other WR are real ? Mickey Mangieri is back, but we don't know what kind of player he'll be. Chris Chandler is also back, but he's more of a 4th WR type. Some of the younger players (Manny Asam, R.J. Harris) will have to step up, though we lack a lot of established size at the position. We return much of the OL, though Seth Price is gone.

On the defensive side of the ball, there is much more concern. The only starting secondary player returning is Kyle Flemings, which means four spots are up for grabs. I would have to think that Anthony Gorell and Rod Walker will handle two of the four spots, but the other two are wide open. We'll certainly take some lumps there, especially early. Matt Evans and Alan Buzbee return. At the DL, Randi Vines is back and joins Brian McNally, James Jenkins, Keith Colbert, Cody Muller and Jared Smith on the DL. Jon Murray is no longer listed on the roster, and Steve Young and Lance Mailloux both are gone. I think it's a talented group but doesn't have quite the bulk it used to.

In the end, I think we're in a very similar position as most years. Some question marks, but the chance to be a highly productive (though not terribly high-powered) team. We might be the most geared to win in the playoffs with the offense I project us to have as any UNH team in recent memory, though the D will have to step up for sure to replace Vasso, Souza, Young, etc.

Tuscon
January 26th, 2011, 03:36 PM
Delaware does lose some key defensive players, and that if anything will be what hurts us this coming year. On the offensive front, yes, Devlin was great, but Sasek showed a lot of promise, and there are rumors of another blue chip transfer QB waiting somewhere in the wings. More importantly, Pierce and Hayes are both returning, and with a year of experience under their belts, the run game will be better than ever.

As far as JMU goes, we'll have to see what the fallout is from the fight this week - if football players really were involved, if so which ones, and what happens to them.

ODU wasn't a pushover team this year, and will be even better next. I don't expect them to make a run for the CAA title, but a win over Towson is certainly doable, and opening up against Campbell, GA State, and Hampton sets the state for ODU starting the season 3-0 pretty easily.

I think saying they will beat us "pretty easily" is a little silly. You're on the complete other side of the spectrum as most of us GSU fans. With our team gaining a little maturity we will (hopefully) make far less mistakes than we did against ODU last year and we will be playing at home. It will definitely be quite the battle for us and I believe we are the underdogs, but pretty easily is taking that a bit too far.

Mattymc727
January 26th, 2011, 04:36 PM
I think UNH's offense will evolve next year now that they have a more accurate, higher Football IQ type at QB in Decker. I don't think we'll see some of the spectacular deep throws that Toman made throughout his career, but I think we'll see more sustaining drives and moving the chains, which is something I prefer in the CAA. I think we'll see less INT's, less turnovers and at least similar if not better offensive production. I think at RB, Chris Setian and Dontra Peters form an established 1-2 combo (Peters should get much of the workload, but Setian is a beast). Nico Steriti and Jimmy Owens are a couple of hyped RS FR who could make noise as the 3rd RB. We return Joey Orlando at WR, and both Sean Cullen and Chris Jeannot at TE, but the other WR are real ? Mickey Mangieri is back, but we don't know what kind of player he'll be. Chris Chandler is also back, but he's more of a 4th WR type. Some of the younger players (Manny Asam, R.J. Harris) will have to step up, though we lack a lot of established size at the position. We return much of the OL, though Seth Price is gone.

On the defensive side of the ball, there is much more concern. The only starting secondary player returning is Kyle Flemings, which means four spots are up for grabs. I would have to think that Anthony Gorell and Rod Walker will handle two of the four spots, but the other two are wide open. We'll certainly take some lumps there, especially early. Matt Evans and Alan Buzbee return. At the DL, Randi Vines is back and joins Brian McNally, James Jenkins, Keith Colbert, Cody Muller and Jared Smith on the DL. Jon Murray is no longer listed on the roster, and Steve Young and Lance Mailloux both are gone. I think it's a talented group but doesn't have quite the bulk it used to.

In the end, I think we're in a very similar position as most years. Some question marks, but the chance to be a highly productive (though not terribly high-powered) team. We might be the most geared to win in the playoffs with the offense I project us to have as any UNH team in recent memory, though the D will have to step up for sure to replace Vasso, Souza, Young, etc.

I would think a guy like Jim Giansante will be a huge playmaker next year, he signed late but was recruited heavily and I thought I read that he produced well in the camp.

BlueHenSinfonian
January 26th, 2011, 08:18 PM
I think saying they will beat us "pretty easily" is a little silly. You're on the complete other side of the spectrum as most of us GSU fans. With our team gaining a little maturity we will (hopefully) make far less mistakes than we did against ODU last year and we will be playing at home. It will definitely be quite the battle for us and I believe we are the underdogs, but pretty easily is taking that a bit too far.

Fair enough. I expect both ODU and GA State to improve next year, and I'm with you that I expect ODU to be the favorite for that game, but it won't be the cakewalk that the Campbell and Hampton games will be.

R3TRO
January 26th, 2011, 08:34 PM
I would think a guy like Jim Giansante will be a huge playmaker next year, he signed late but was recruited heavily and I thought I read that he produced well in the camp.

I agree that Giansante will be good but RJ Harris is going to be great.

Tuscon
January 26th, 2011, 09:21 PM
Fair enough. I expect both ODU and GA State to improve next year, and I'm with you that I expect ODU to be the favorite for that game, but it won't be the cakewalk that the Campbell and Hampton games will be.

We'll be kicking off a really hard part of our schedule with ODU at home, then Jacksonville State away and Houston away.

VBR_Productions
January 26th, 2011, 10:51 PM
Drew Little can chuck it. The Panthers' problem against Old Dominion last year (from my amateur perspective) is that the Panthers couldn't establish the run, and they tried multiple reverses that didn't work. The Monarch defenders snuffed out the reverses and prevented big plays. But that was last year. If the Panthers' o-line can generate a running game and Little has even average play-action pass abilities, he'll be effective throwing the long ball. But then there's also the question whether Star Jackson progresses with a full offseason under his belt.

As for the rest of the CAA, I expected W&M to drop off from 2009 because of their losses on defense. They subsequently earned a bye in the playoffs. If Callahan stays healthy at QB with Grimes in the backfield, they'll excel. New Hampshire will be pretty good again as well. At the end of the day the teams will just beat up each other again, so we'll see who survives.

UNH72Plus
January 27th, 2011, 08:53 AM
I think for UNH, a lot depends on keeping players healthy. This year Jeannot was touted as the next great tight end, but missed much of the season, and Seamus O'Neil missed half the season with concussions. WR is a big question mark and I sometimes question Decker's ability to throw the deep passes. Anytime you lose defensive players like Young, Sousa, and Vasso you have to be a bit worried. All that being said, it still looks like we'll be a contender.

Tribe4SF
January 27th, 2011, 09:00 AM
As for the rest of the CAA, I expected W&M to drop off from 2009 because of their losses on defense. They subsequently earned a bye in the playoffs. If Callahan stays healthy at QB with Grimes in the backfield, they'll excel. New Hampshire will be pretty good again as well. At the end of the day the teams will just beat up each other again, so we'll see who survives.

Callahan graduates. Mike Paulus will be the frontrunner at QB, with Brent Caprio and Raphael Ortiz pushing. Paulus showed well against Maine, Villanova and UNC before getting hurt. Tribe will have two very promising rFr RBs backing Grimes. Darnell Laws and Keith McBride both look like future stars. Return all conference picks TE Alex Gottlieb, and WR Ryan Moody among a good receiving corps. Looks like we will have Jake Trantin back at MLB, and LT Jake Marcey (NCAA suspension for 2010/ started in '08 and '09) fills the only hole on the OL. LB and secondary look good. Will need some help from redshirt freshmen on the DL which is the only area where depth could be a concern.

VBR_Productions
January 27th, 2011, 09:03 AM
Callahan graduates. Mike Paulus will be the frontrunner at QB

I meant Paulus - thanks for correcting me. That's what I get for posting late at night.

Saint3333
January 27th, 2011, 09:14 AM
To tell you the truth, im not sure how Nova's gonna look this year. we lost 4 rushers (ball, babarro, whitney, szczur) who could all go for 100yds any given day. The left side of our line is gone, and no one can plug ijalana's hole. Im not even sure who our QB is. Whitney's backup was a walk on because the other freshmen QB was red shirting. However the future is bright for RB Lawerence Dawes and WR Norman White, who had 3TDs in the massacre of SFA
on defense we lose some, but not a staggering as offense

The team should still be decent next year. NC worthy- no, CAA title worthy-no, but possible squeaking into the playoffs

Nova will have a similar season to UR had this year, maybe marginally better. UR lost so much from 2009 to 2010, Nova loses almost as much. Just without Szczur Nova looked like two different teams (with a Semifinal type team wthout a 7-4 or 6-5 team).

For the UR fans that cursed my similar projections before this season where have you been?

GannonFan
January 27th, 2011, 10:42 AM
William and Mary should be the favorite heading into the year, but they're not as strong of a favorite as nova was going into last year and look where nova finished. W&M losing the defensive coordinator and their late season exposure against dedicated running games (JMU, GSU) show some kinks in the armor. They're the favorite, but not overwhlemingly.

UD's biggest problem is replacing the defensive backfield - plenty of talent is there, it's just unproven. Replacing Devlin isn't easy, but the heir apparent, Sasek, has already won at JMU and will be helped by having 4/5 of the OL back and all the RB's, including AP.

nova's decimated, let's be honest. Everyone who mattered last year is gone. I think Talley's done some of his best recruiting these past few years, but there's just too much to replace to be good next year.

JMU just isn't going to be good unless their OL and QB are good, and there's no indication that's going to be any better. Sure Thorpe was the ROY two years ago, but he wasn't good enough to beat out Dudzik and we all saw how good Dudzik was last year. And the OL is still a big question mark.

Richmond could surprise people - getting Corp back healthy helps, and offensively they could be pretty good. Gotta replace some playmakers on defense, but Richmond I think beat a lot of expectations last year after losing so much. Definitely a team to watch out for.

And I'd be wary of Rhode Island. That team played with a lot of intensity last year - something you almost never see from a Rhode Island team. Knocking off UNH, nova, UMass, and hanging with UD in Newark was a pretty good sign for them. They have a lot back this year so I'd be very careful about them.

For me, I go with the following:

Favorite: W&M
Contenders: UD, UNH, Richmond, URI
Middle of the Pack: JMU, Maine,
Long Year: nova, UMass, ODU,
Towson Group: Towson

DNewms43
January 27th, 2011, 10:58 AM
is there any new news on the UMASS to the MAC situation. I heard they might play a provisional FBS schedule this year, so wouldn't they not play all of the CAA teams?

VBR_Productions
January 27th, 2011, 11:18 AM
For me, I go with the following:

Favorite: W&M
Contenders: UD, UNH, Richmond, URI
Middle of the Pack: JMU, Maine,
Long Year: nova, UMass, ODU,
Towson Group: Towson

Thankfully a lot of Old Dominion fans I've talked to are pretty reasonable about their expectations (I'm not referring to those who post on forums). It helps that Coach Wilder was at Maine for years so he understands how difficult the Colonial is. The talent is there but we need more depth to survive a full CAA schedule. So while it might be a long year in terms of W/L in conference, the fact that ODU football exists is good enough for me (for now).

GannonFan
January 27th, 2011, 11:26 AM
Thankfully a lot of Old Dominion fans I've talked to are pretty reasonable about their expectations (I'm not referring to those who post on forums). It helps that Coach Wilder was at Maine for years so he understands how difficult the Colonial is. The talent is there but we need more depth to survive a full CAA schedule. So while it might be a long year in terms of W/L in conference, the fact that ODU football exists is good enough for me (for now).

I don't think you have anything to worry about - ODU's clearly on the right path and I think everyone (well, except JMU folks who are in denial) realizes that ODU is going to be a serious player in the CAA. I wouldn't be shocked if ODU is a legit title contender as early as 2013. And while you'll probably see plenty of L's this year, I don't think you'll be throttled by anyone - I think they'll all be competitive losses with a few wins here and there. Certainly a rosey future for ODU football.

TheDancinMonarch
January 27th, 2011, 01:48 PM
I don't think you have anything to worry about - ODU's clearly on the right path and I think everyone (well, except JMU folks who are in denial) realizes that ODU is going to be a serious player in the CAA. I wouldn't be shocked if ODU is a legit title contender as early as 2013. And while you'll probably see plenty of L's this year, I don't think you'll be throttled by anyone - I think they'll all be competitive losses with a few wins here and there. Certainly a rosey future for ODU football.

As an ODU fan I could not be more thrilled with our first 2 years of football. Things could not have gone better both on the field and off. Next year I have hopes for 1, 2, or 3 conference wins. For 1, I will be happy and satisfied. For 2, I will be ecstatic and will probably become quite obnoxious. For 3, drinks will be on me.

superman7515
January 27th, 2011, 02:01 PM
As an ODU fan I could not be more thrilled with our first 2 years of football. Things could not have gone better both on the field and off. Next year I have hopes for 1, 2, or 3 conference wins. For 1, I will be happy and satisfied. For 2, I will be ecstatic and will probably become quite obnoxious. For 3, drinks will be on me.

Somebody bookmark this just in case.

WMTribe90
January 27th, 2011, 03:07 PM
I think ODU is being undersold. They return all but two starters. They have an all-conference caliber QB with two years of starting experience. They have CAA level talent at every position, if not the depth. Perhaps most importantly, they have more combined game experience returning than any team in the conference.

Their only down side is that they've yet to go through an entire meat-grinder of a CAA season. They will need to learn to play at a high level for four quarters every week.

If they can stay healthy, I see them being in every game and potentially going 4-4 CAA, 7-4 overall.

HailSzczur
January 27th, 2011, 03:26 PM
nova's decimated, let's be honest. Everyone who mattered last year is gone. I think Talley's done some of his best recruiting these past few years, but there's just too much to replace to be good next year.

i wouldnt say decimated. we have some great recruites coming in. the potential to possiblry be playin Big East football by their senior year is bringing in some. While next year will hardly match the last few years, I'm still thinking a solid 7-4 for us next year as a somewhat realistic goal

GannonFan
January 27th, 2011, 04:03 PM
i wouldnt say decimated. we have some great recruites coming in. the potential to possiblry be playin Big East football by their senior year is bringing in some. While next year will hardly match the last few years, I'm still thinking a solid 7-4 for us next year as a somewhat realistic goal

7-4? So you think losing everyone that you lost (Whitney, Szscur, etc), won't result in any change in record (you were 7-4 this year)?

ccd494
January 27th, 2011, 04:32 PM
Chalk this up to me not paying attention, but what is the league format for next season? Back to divisional play?

HailSzczur
January 27th, 2011, 05:00 PM
7-4? So you think losing everyone that you lost (Whitney, Szscur, etc), won't result in any change in record (you were 7-4 this year)?

well Szczur played in 3 or 4 games all season, so its almost as if losing him doesnt factor into the equation. You have to admit with him returning for the post season we were probably one of the best 7-4 teams the CAA has seen in awhile. Also I said the 7-4 would be a goal, aka best case senario.

Dblue
January 27th, 2011, 06:26 PM
I look for ODU to make a big splash in the CAA, capturing an at-large selection to the playoffs. Nova and Delaware with off years, 6 - 5 and 5 - 6, respectively. JMU and William & Mary fall short of next years conference winner...UNH. Towson gets kicked out of the basement by Georgia State, Richmond hovers around .500, Maine a little lower. URI and UMass are in transition, I wish them well.

jstclmet
January 27th, 2011, 11:16 PM

Four years ago Nova was 7-4 just missing the playoffs with 5 unknown freshman starting. Those same freshman who were 7-4 this past season as Seniors. At the Nova FB banquet, coaches discussed the potential of having a number of frosh start in 2011, and if they could equal that 7-4 mark like they did in 2007, that would be considered a success. Only this time, 7-4 gets them in the playoffs. As already has been stated, Nova had a pretty good recruiting season.

Tribe4SF
January 28th, 2011, 12:26 AM
Four years ago Nova was 7-4 just missing the playoffs with 5 unknown freshman starting. Those same freshman who were 7-4 this past season as Seniors. At the Nova FB banquet, coaches discussed the potential of having a number of frosh start in 2011, and if they could equal that 7-4 mark like they did in 2007, that would be considered a success. Only this time, 7-4 gets them in the playoffs. As already has been stated, Nova had a pretty good recruiting season.

As has been the case for awhile, it looks like everyone in the conference is having a pretty good recruiting season. Relying on untested freshmen to carry you through the CAA is more than an iffy proposition. Projecting a number of frosh to start may speak well of coaches opinions of recruits, but it also speaks to a lack of returning depth.

jstclmet
January 28th, 2011, 09:11 AM
As has been the case for awhile, it looks like everyone in the conference is having a pretty good recruiting season. Relying on untested freshmen to carry you through the CAA is more than an iffy proposition. Projecting a number of frosh to start may speak well of coaches opinions of recruits, but it also speaks to a lack of returning depth.

One of the position coaches admitted making some mistakes in the previous couple of years choosing speed over physicality. This next class is intended to correct past mistakes.

GannonFan
January 28th, 2011, 12:30 PM
One of the position coaches admitted making some mistakes in the previous couple of years choosing speed over physicality. This next class is intended to correct past mistakes.

So since the likliehood of playing true freshmen (guys who don't hit campus until August) isn't great or that they'll have huge influence, are you saying that nova's not going to be very physical for the next year or 2? Relying on the upcoming recruiting class to fix past wrongs isn't a quick fix remedy.

jstclmet
January 28th, 2011, 12:49 PM
So since the likliehood of playing true freshmen (guys who don't hit campus until August) isn't great or that they'll have huge influence, are you saying that nova's not going to be very physical for the next year or 2? Relying on the upcoming recruiting class to fix past wrongs isn't a quick fix remedy.

Freshman play at Nova. Nova doesn't have the luxury of depth to red-shirt the majority of their freshman. Whitney was supposed to red-shirt his freshman year. Halfway through, the RS had to be pulled. Ijalana, Clouser, Thomas, and Szczur all started from day 1. Szczur started as a KR that year.

It's too early to put a number of how many frosh will start in 2011, but I wouldn't be surprised to see a similar number start as did in 07.

GannonFan
January 28th, 2011, 01:32 PM
Freshman play at Nova. Nova doesn't have the luxury of depth to red-shirt the majority of their freshman. Whitney was supposed to red-shirt his freshman year. Halfway through, the RS had to be pulled. Ijalana, Clouser, Thomas, and Szczur all started from day 1. Szczur started as a KR that year.

It's too early to put a number of how many frosh will start in 2011, but I wouldn't be surprised to see a similar number start as did in 07.

Freshmen play everywhere - nova is no different in that regard. However, relying on them and, even more so, relying on every freshman class to be as fruitful as your best class ever was back in '07, is not as widespread.

Tribe4SF
January 28th, 2011, 02:15 PM
Hard not to see Nova as facing a tough rebuilding job this year. We all saw what Szczur meant to the team during the year, and what Whitney meant to the team in the EWU game. When he was unable to deliver with his legs, Nova's offense was rendered ineffective. Babbaro and Ball were consistent performers as well. Nova has some good young o-linemen, but Ijalana and Clouser are big losses, and the top two TEs are also gone. I expect the d-line may be better, but losing all three starting LBs, and all three starting safeties leaves a massive chasm in the defense. Some have compared Nova 2011 to Richmond 2010, but Richmond returned their defensive leadership this past year in Parker, McBride and Rogers. Not so for Nova this year.

heath
January 28th, 2011, 08:13 PM
JMU finds a QB,and players stay out of trouble...........gets a new stadium,runs some wild cat and returns to the top.Still think 2-3 loses in conference could win it. ODU will be very competitive,pull of an upset but lose to bottom feeders.Looks like this year all over..........hope 4-5 get in the playoffs

Tribe4SF
January 29th, 2011, 06:09 AM
JMU finds a QB,and players stay out of trouble...........

Well, at least if Cosh works out you'll be batting .500!xnodx

DNewms43
January 29th, 2011, 09:48 AM
Quick question on villanova. I they do say they will move up, what year will they get full BE football membership?