PDA

View Full Version : Appalachian State Feasibility Study Progresses

superman7515
January 22nd, 2011, 08:08 AM
ASU Feasibility Panel Meets For First Time (http://www2.journalnow.com/sports/2011/jan/22/wssport01-asu-feasibility-panel-meets-for-first-ti-ar-715431/)

Appalachian State's athletics feasibility study, which started last September to explore the possibility of the football program's moving from the championship to the bowl subdivision, has moved on to the next step.

A 10-member committee that includes alumni and friends of ASU, some of them current or former members of ASU's board of trustees, met for the first time on Tuesday. The committee will evaluate information gathered by Collegiate Consulting LLC, an outside group that has been gathering data in regard to the feasibility of a potential move.

The panel is co-chaired by G.A. Sywassink, chairman and retired CEO of Standard Holding Corporation, and Larry Stone, president and chief-operating officer of Lowe's Corporation.

Saint3333
January 22nd, 2011, 11:22 AM
Likely the most anticipated decision since Montana's invitation to the WAC. I believe this decision is not only HUGE for ASU, but other like-minded FCS programs over the next couple of years.

Should make for an interesting offseason. Excellent committee put together by Peacock and Cobb.

DFW HOYA
January 22nd, 2011, 01:56 PM
Likely the most anticipated decision since Montana's invitation to the WAC. I believe this decision is not only HUGE for ASU, but other like-minded FCS programs over the next couple of years.

Heed the lesson of Western Kentucky. No one wants to see ASU get overrun in the Sun Belt, which is probably the only realistic I-A option out there.

OL FU
January 22nd, 2011, 02:55 PM
na na na na
na na na na

Hey Hey Hey

Goodbye.

I hope you don't go, but I do understand:(

GSU Eagle
January 22nd, 2011, 03:25 PM
The big problem with App. or GSU for that matter moving up is where would they go. The Sunbelt commissioner is on record as saying the Sunbelt is not looking to add any more football schools. If the Sunbelt is out I don't know what options are left. Going as an independent is really a very poor option.

If there is not some type of major conference upheaval and changes that leaves spots available in CUSA I really don't know where Appalachian would go.

GaSouthern
January 22nd, 2011, 04:31 PM
I agree, where are they going to go without an open conference invite?

The Eagle's Cliff
January 22nd, 2011, 04:43 PM
The big problem with App. or GSU for that matter moving up is where would they go. The Sunbelt commissioner is on record as saying the Sunbelt is not looking to add any more football schools. If the Sunbelt is out I don't know what options are left. Going as an independent is really a very poor option.

If there is not some type of major conference upheaval and changes that leaves spots available in CUSA I really don't know where Appalachian would go.

Pretty ridiculous attitude by the Sun Belt commissioner considering every single team in that conference came from 1-AA.

GSU EAGLES
January 22nd, 2011, 05:45 PM

I agree, where are they going to go without an open conference invite?

They will be prepared to pull the trigger when the inevitable conference changes occur. They will have all their ducks in a row and as soon as the opportunity presents itself which it will, they will be ready. Hats off to App State and their proactive administration. Ga Southern on the other hand needs to get their act together asap and get rid of our buffoon AD Sam Baker.

HailSzczur
January 22nd, 2011, 06:09 PM
If any team has a shot of making it and surviving with the big boys of 1A its app st. They have the stadium, they have a large and loyal enough fanbase, and they have they have the national name recognition with the win @ the big house, 3 NC in a row, and Armanti Edwards.

However from talking to fans they seem quite content with the good situation they have currently.
Should be an intersting offseason for them. I know what the uncertainty is like

bandit
January 22nd, 2011, 08:34 PM
There might be openings in the Sun Belt.

If CUSA loses UCF to the Big East, and possibly Houston as well, and perhaps UTEP to the Mountain West, the Sun Belt might be losing members as CUSA re-stocks its membership.

The Big East and Mountain West are currently considering expansion.

The question would be how appetizing would the Sun Belt be for App State if the Sun Belt loses 3 of it's current (and presumably its best) members to CUSA.

It's hard to imagine App State filling one of those CUSA spots.

The landscape is fluid, but App State is attractive enough that if it makes the move it will probably find opportunities.

MplsBison
January 22nd, 2011, 09:11 PM

It's not a poor option, it's a non-option.

The new rule is that you can not move to FBS unless you get invited by an existing FBS conference.

Unless there are new FBS conferences formed by existing FBS members that need to fill ranks with FCS move-ups, there won't be a ton more FBS teams.

Sly Fox
January 22nd, 2011, 10:04 PM
Sadly it appears the NCAA is supposedly trying to write new regulations that would keep a FCS conference from stepping up together. So the opportunities are going to be tough to find.

I still think the idea of a East Coast division of primarily FCS step-ups could make sense for one of the existing leagues ... especially one desperate for survival. I'm looking at you, WAC.

JSU02
January 22nd, 2011, 10:13 PM
It's not a poor option, it's a non-option.

The new rule is that you can not move to FBS unless you get invited by an existing FBS conference.

Unless there are new FBS conferences formed by existing FBS members that need to fill ranks with FCS move-ups, there won't be a ton more FBS teams.

This is gonna sound crazy but what about the WAC? I know that sounds like a horrible option, but it could be made to work. The media is reporting the MWC is looking at Idaho, San Jose State, and Utah State to expand media markets, replace defections, and get to 12 or more schools to have a champ game. If all 3 are taken, that leaves the WAC with NMSU, La Tech, UTSA, and TxST and would need at least 4 more schools to keep FBS status and there doesn't look to be enough willing teams out west to make it work, but what if they looked east? Lots of school in the east are rumored to be thinking about moving moving to FBS (AppSt, JMU, Liberty, Delaware, ODU, GaSou, GaSt, Jax State plus SHSU and Lamar) If the WAC could set up 2 divisions of 6 or 7 teams and limit inter-divisional play to two games (one home-one away) and hold a champ game it could survive and would give eastern FCS schools a potential FBS home.

Sly Fox
January 22nd, 2011, 10:18 PM
I have been trumpeting that possibility on several boards for weeks. But I have received no indication that the WAC is pursuing that creative of an idea. We have joked that the Alamodome would make a nice neutral site for a league championship game. Personally I think the idea merits consideration. It makes a great deal of sense for football. It would be tougher to pull off in other sports where the costs could skyrocket. But the idea of maintaining some of the regional ties while stepping up to the level where anything could happen is intriguing.

JSU02
January 22nd, 2011, 10:41 PM
I have been trumpeting that possibility on several boards for weeks. But I have received no indication that the WAC is pursuing that creative of an idea. We have joked that the Alamodome would make a nice neutral site for a league championship game. Personally I think the idea merits consideration. It makes a great deal of sense for football. It would be tougher to pull off in other sports where the costs could skyrocket. But the idea of maintaining some of the regional ties while stepping up to the level where anything could happen is intriguing.

You are certainly right about other sports but if you keep getting creative you could probably make it work. Instead of traditional road trips against a set of travel partners, you could have mini tournaments amongst inter-divisional pod groups. Lib, JMU and ODU could fly to San Antonio to play against UTSA, TxSt, and Lamar over a weekend on 3 consecutive days during the regular season. What would have been 2 or 3 flights over two years, would be cut it to 1 every other year, but teams would lose true home games. In this example between these 2 sets of pods, the host school could rotate each year so that over a span of 6 years each school could host the cross-pod mini tournament once. This system would only be used for cross divisional play and standard bus trips would be used for intra-divisional play. Post season conference tournaments could be held at either one centralized location, or be bracketed divisionaly such that only the winner of each bracket would be required to fly to play the other division champ.

JSU02
January 22nd, 2011, 11:48 PM
There could be an even easier solution. Is there a rule that limits the number of football affiliate members a conference can have? If not, all that would need to happen would be for the WAC to round up 7 or 8 schools total out west to in order keep it's auto-bids alive and remain a viable conference (utah valley/seattle type schools) and then just invite the above eastern schools as football only affiliates. The eastern schools could either form there own non-football conference for other sports or just find a non football sponsoring conference to join.

Sly Fox
January 22nd, 2011, 11:57 PM
As a Liberty alum, we've had exposure to the pod concept in the Big South with several sports over the years. It is not the best of situations but could be palatable just to make the football end work out.

BlueHenSinfonian
January 23rd, 2011, 11:00 AM
The eastern schools could either form there own non-football conference for other sports or just find a non football sponsoring conference to join.
As long as we are proposing wild ideas, consider this scenario: 'Nova to the Big East, UMass to the MAC, and URI to the NEC. Then, UD, JMU, Appy, ODU, GA State, GA Southern, Liberty, and maybe UNC Charlotte form the WAC-East for football (maybe the conference could change its name to the PAC for Pan-American Conference). W&M and Richmond move into the SoCon as football affiliates to replace Appy and GaSou and CAA football disolves, leaving all of the WAC (or PAC) East schools with the CAA as the 'all other sports' conference.

MplsBison
January 23rd, 2011, 11:10 AM
As long as we are proposing wild ideas, consider this scenario: 'Nova to the Big East, UMass to the MAC, and URI to the NEC. Then, UD, JMU, Appy, ODU, GA State, GA Southern, Liberty, and maybe UNC Charlotte form the WAC-East for football (maybe the conference could change its name to the PAC for Pan-American Conference). W&M and Richmond move into the SoCon as football affiliates to replace Appy and GaSou and CAA football disolves, leaving all of the WAC (or PAC) East schools with the CAA as the 'all other sports' conference.

If you're going to the lengths of all joining the WAC just to play by the new rules, I think that's a bit ridiculous. If you presented your business case to the FBS, I'm sure you'd have a chance to get a waiver to move up as a new FBS conference. It's as least as likely as joining the WAC.

GSU EAGLES
January 23rd, 2011, 11:16 AM

I like it. I think the conference would quickly pass the MAC and Sunbelt and would have a good shot as a Boise St type team.

DFW HOYA
January 23rd, 2011, 12:23 PM

So that leaves UNH, Maine, Towson and the Patriot League...

OL FU
January 23rd, 2011, 01:20 PM

AS much as I would hate to see GSU and ASU go, it would be good to hate W&M and Richmond again:D

things change but I really don't see the SoCon, even with a departure of our two big schools, taking football affiliates.

JSU02
January 23rd, 2011, 01:32 PM

Charlotte wouldn't be able to join in time to help. Swap them for Jax State and this conference be ready by 2012

gophoenix
January 23rd, 2011, 03:11 PM
AS much as I would hate to see GSU and ASU go, it would be good to hate W&M and Richmond again:D

things change but I really don't see the SoCon, even with a departure of our two big schools, taking football affiliates.

Nor do I see the SoCon falling apart after App and GSU leave like some people think. There's plenty of schools that can come in and fill in the gap just like App, WCU, ETSU and UTC did in the 70s: Namely SC State, Hampton, Coastal Carolina, Towson, Kennesaw State and so on.

I also don't see the CAA taking in 6 or more new members and hanging on to their football schools they are dumping.

AppMan
January 23rd, 2011, 03:42 PM
If things keep progressing within the alignment movement the invitation will come. IMO, simply making the announcement ASU is studying the move to FBS was putting the word out to see who is interested. Everything points to CUSA losing members and that is the opening ASU is looking for.

JSU02
January 23rd, 2011, 04:01 PM
BTW, what media market is ASU in? Tri-Cities? Winston-Salem? Ashville? Charlotte?

Reign of Terrier
January 23rd, 2011, 04:15 PM
Nor do I see the SoCon falling apart after App and GSU leave like some people think. There's plenty of schools that can come in and fill in the gap just like App, WCU, ETSU and UTC did in the 70s: Namely SC State, Hampton, Coastal Carolina, Towson, Kennesaw State and so on.

I also don't see the CAA taking in 6 or more new members and hanging on to their football schools they are dumping.

I see any SoCon with those teams dominated by Wofford. The only 2 i could see one day stepping up to the level of App State or GSU is SC State maybe and CCU maybe. Otherwise the private schools kick tail

smallcollegefbfan
January 23rd, 2011, 04:19 PM
If things keep progressing within the alignment movement the invitation will come. IMO, simply making the announcement ASU is studying the move to FBS was putting the word out to see who is interested. Everything points to CUSA losing members and that is the opening ASU is looking for.

I personally think ASU has their minds made up and will be invited to C-USA. I believe Cobb is going to align himself with ECU and I think it's smart. IMO, ASU won't be FCS in 2 years if Cobb is able to pull off what I think he is trying for and will do by moving up and joining a league with ECU.

Reign of Terrier
January 23rd, 2011, 04:39 PM
I personally think ASU has their minds made up and will be invited to C-USA. I believe Cobb is going to align himself with ECU and I think it's smart. IMO, ASU won't be FCS in 2 years if Cobb is able to pull off what I think he is trying for and will do by moving up and joining a league with ECU.

the only problem i see with this is that what is there $$$ wise with App State? granted I think if given the shot they could compete with anyone within a couple years, but what makes you think that CUSA will want them and not some other team from a bigger media market? Looking at the current CUSA teams, most of them are located in a large media market. Boone isn't really a media market of significance if any at all, I just don't see the money potential there for any conference to want them.

glsjunior
January 23rd, 2011, 05:20 PM
I agree. Conf USA is pretty much made up from schools from large cities. They already have ASU type schools in Marshall and ECU. I could see Ga St in Conf USA, we were almost made for it, we are pretty much the Southeast's version of Houston. App St. and Ga Southern's best fit is in the Sunbelt. The WAC idea is about as whack as you can get.

smallcollegefbfan
January 23rd, 2011, 06:14 PM
the only problem i see with this is that what is there $$$ wise with App State? granted I think if given the shot they could compete with anyone within a couple years, but what makes you think that CUSA will want them and not some other team from a bigger media market? Looking at the current CUSA teams, most of them are located in a large media market. Boone isn't really a media market of significance if any at all, I just don't see the money potential there for any conference to want them.

I have a feeling they want App because they will strengthen the football side of things. App almost beat ECU a couple years ago without AE and ECU was what 1st or 2nd in C-USA that year? App could win 8-10 games in that league after their transition. They have a winning record against Marshall when they were on even levels in I-AA years ago so what makes anyone think App can't beat them at the FBS level?

Reign of Terrier
January 23rd, 2011, 06:26 PM
I have a feeling they want App because they will strengthen the football side of things. App almost beat ECU a couple years ago without AE and ECU was what 1st or 2nd in C-USA that year? App could win 8-10 games in that league after their transition. They have a winning record against Marshall when they were on even levels in I-AA years ago so what makes anyone think App can't beat them at the FBS level?

it's not a matter of what they can do on the football field it's about how much revenue they can provide and I don't know if CUSA wants them because of the lack of money

smallcollegefbfan
January 23rd, 2011, 06:38 PM
it's not a matter of what they can do on the football field it's about how much revenue they can provide and I don't know if CUSA wants them because of the lack of money

App brings in more money than several FBS programs in the MAC and Sun Belt and I think a couple in C-USA already. Revenue will increase with the jump as well and I'm sure they will kill off some of the men's sports they don't need that lose money to save revenue. Your point is well taken but I think C-USA or someone is going to invite them and they will move up. All the signs are there. ASU went up on ticket prices, expanded the stadium, and is looking to expand more. They have better facilities than many FBS programs right now and I think everything they have done and are doing was all with FBS in mind. Regardless of what happens there is no doubt ASU will move up to FBS if the study says the move is okay. If not C-USA someone will invite them. They are too attractive not to be invited.

superman7515
January 23rd, 2011, 06:41 PM

Won't happen.

Reign of Terrier
January 23rd, 2011, 06:55 PM
Won't happen.

I think there is some interest in SC State but not Hampton

glsjunior
January 23rd, 2011, 07:10 PM
App brings in more money than several FBS programs in the MAC and Sun Belt and I think a couple in C-USA already. Revenue will increase with the jump as well and I'm sure they will kill off some of the men's sports they don't need that lose money to save revenue. Your point is well taken but I think C-USA or someone is going to invite them and they will move up. All the signs are there. ASU went up on ticket prices, expanded the stadium, and is looking to expand more. They have better facilities than many FBS programs right now and I think everything they have done and are doing was all with FBS in mind. Regardless of what happens there is no doubt ASU will move up to FBS if the study says the move is okay. If not C-USA someone will invite them. They are too attractive not to be invited.

Where are they going to get the jump in revenue from? They have pretty much maxed out their potential, unless they are going to enroll more students and graduate more alumni. What corporate dollars are they going to get being in Boone? Conf USA isn't going to add anybody that doesn't get them closer to the BCS table. I don't think that App St. is that school.

BlueHenSinfonian
January 23rd, 2011, 07:22 PM

I didn't mean to infer the SoCon would fall apart with the departure of GaSou and App. Richmond and W&M both fit the SoCon mold pretty well, having a lot in common with schools like Elon, Furman, and Wofford (maybe Richmond more so out of the two). I didn't work through all of the details in my mind as it was just spitballing anyway, but Towson could also likely find a home in the SoCon (though the Big South might also be an option for them).

If CAA football were to die there would likely be some shuffling around as far as new all-sports members go. in my scenario the only schools that would need to move would be App, Liberty, GaSou, and either UNC-C or Jax State. That would bring the CAA up to 16 teams for all sports (other than football) which would allow for a nice clean 8/8 division split.

SC State and Hampton are both very unlikely as potential SoCon teams. The HBCUs just don't seem to have any desire to play outside of their own conferences. Even Tenn State as a member of the OVC plays a hybrid OVC/HBCU schedule.

AppMan
January 23rd, 2011, 08:20 PM
Where are they going to get the jump in revenue from? They have pretty much maxed out their potential, unless they are going to enroll more students and graduate more alumni. What corporate dollars are they going to get being in Boone? Conf USA isn't going to add anybody that doesn't get them closer to the BCS table. I don't think that App St. is that school.

This is where you are mistaken. ASU has only begun to tap into the potential pool of donors. Although I do not agree with their position many App alumni will not get deeply involved as long as the Mountaineers are in FCS. While there isn't a large corporate base in Boone proper, ASU has deep ties with many large corporations in western NC who are national in scope. ASU is the largest university west of I-77 and will (if the move is made) the only FBS program west of Winston Salem. CUSA doen't have a shot at the BCS, and while most conferences add members to fuel TV revenues that isn't the case with CUSA. Other conferences already have exposure in all but 3-4 sities CUSA is in and they really don't need it in those (Huntington WV, Greenville, NC, Hattiesburg MS, Tulsa, OK).

Appfan_in_CAAland
January 23rd, 2011, 08:55 PM
BTW, what media market is ASU in? Tri-Cities? Winston-Salem? Ashville? Charlotte?

All of the above, but the official FCC media market is Charlotte (#25). Combined with #46 Greensboro-Winston Salem, which is lower than I would have guessed, its not a shabby market.

I'd imagine App State brings as much financially and athleticly, if not more, to the CUSA than any team in the Sun Belt.

I think, within a decade, an App v. ECU football rivalry played annually on Thanksgiving weekend would become second only to Duke-Carolina basketball in interest and excitement in NC college sports. It would elevate both schools.

GSU EAGLES
January 23rd, 2011, 09:54 PM
I didn't mean to infer the SoCon would fall apart with the departure of GaSou and App. Richmond and W&M both fit the SoCon mold pretty well, having a lot in common with schools like Elon, Furman, and Wofford (maybe Richmond more so out of the two). I didn't work through all of the details in my mind as it was just spitballing anyway, but Towson could also likely find a home in the SoCon (though the Big South might also be an option for them).

If CAA football were to die there would likely be some shuffling around as far as new all-sports members go. in my scenario the only schools that would need to move would be App, Liberty, GaSou, and either UNC-C or Jax State. That would bring the CAA up to 16 teams for all sports (other than football) which would allow for a nice clean 8/8 division split.

SC State and Hampton are both very unlikely as potential SoCon teams. The HBCUs just don't seem to have any desire to play outside of their own conferences. Even Tenn State as a member of the OVC plays a hybrid OVC/HBCU schedule.

Yep. App, Ga Southern and Charlotte need to join the CAA and make a push to move up to FBS. Those that aren't able to move up can easily join other leagues that are a better fit.

seantaylor
January 23rd, 2011, 10:18 PM
ASU can make it in ConfUSA. So could GSU if we had a real athletic director. Schools in big cities mean nothing. Georgia State can't draw for ish. If this was the case, Georgetown and Hofstra would both be in the Big 10 dominating.

gophoenix
January 24th, 2011, 01:11 PM
I think there is some interest in SC State but not Hampton

It depends on the direction of the MEAC. Right now, there are about 3 factions of schools. SC State is a major outlier right now, Hampton isn't far behind. And then there is Delaware State's side of things.

gophoenix
January 24th, 2011, 01:15 PM
All of the above, but the official FCC media market is Charlotte (#25). Combined with #46 Greensboro-Winston Salem, which is lower than I would have guessed, its not a shabby market.

I'd imagine App State brings as much financially and athleticly, if not more, to the CUSA than any team in the Sun Belt.

I think, within a decade, an App v. ECU football rivalry played annually on Thanksgiving weekend would become second only to Duke-Carolina basketball in interest and excitement in NC college sports. It would elevate both schools.

Be careful with market ratings, they are quite misleading. There's too much market bleed-over that knocks Charlotte, Greensboro and Raleigh into weird numbers while knocking Roanoke up.

If you want to look at potential, you look at 700k in Tri-cities, 1.5 million in Triad and 1.9 million in Metrolina

superman7515
January 24th, 2011, 02:17 PM
It depends on the direction of the MEAC. Right now, there are about 3 factions of schools. SC State is a major outlier right now, Hampton isn't far behind. And then there is Delaware State's side of things.

Not sure what you're talking about here. An outlier in what? Spending? DSU has the highest athletic budget of any school in the MEAC. Regardless of the direction, I doubt any school leaves there.

WestCoastAggie
January 24th, 2011, 02:36 PM

Can't say this unless there was a public invite to either of these programs that was turned down. If a Conference is willing to give an invite to these presidents, then we will see.

But I digress...

The Tea Leaves are showing that App. State will be invited to the C-USA. They have many natural rivalries with C-USA teams and would bring in the Triad and Charlotte Markets indirectly. There is a growing interest in NC for App. State Athletics. An invite to the NCAA Basketball Tourney and some Tourney Wins will solidify this interest.

WestCoastAggie
January 24th, 2011, 02:37 PM
Not sure what you're talking about here. An outlier in what? Spending? DSU has the highest athletic budget of any school in the MEAC. Regardless of the direction, I doubt any school leaves there.

And DSU's Administration is looking to further decrease their Athletic Budget to "stay in line with other MEAC Schools."

WestCoastAggie
January 24th, 2011, 02:39 PM

We will never know until the Big South, CAA or Southern issues an invite to a MEAC School and makes it public.

gophoenix
January 24th, 2011, 03:19 PM

What I mean by outlier is that they aren't like a typical SWAC or MEAC schools that are content in what seems like a lack of vision outside of what the HBCU landscape has always been.

DSU wants to drop the budget in line with the rest of the MEAC or they want to go to a conference where spending is in line with other schools. They have been in contact on and off with the Big South for 6 years now. The Big South wants them full time, but Delaware State was pursuing and affiliate membership originally.

Winston-Salem State and Savannah State have had polarizing effects on the fans of some of the other schools.

Hampton and SC State are the two schools who have members of their fans base and administrators comment on the direction of the MEAC and their schools maybe not being in line anymore.

A&T and A&M, if they could get their ducks in a row again, have the most potential to make a bigger jump. In fact, A&M tried it and A&T was about to follow them before it fell apart.

Outside of the above schools, the rest of the MEAC seems content to do what they've always done.

WestCoastAggie is right, until an offer is made (and made public) we won't know what any of them will do. But I guarantee that 2 of the 3 of Hampton, SC State and Delaware state (at minimum) would leave if invited out.

WestCoastAggie
January 24th, 2011, 04:07 PM
What I mean by outlier is that they aren't like a typical SWAC or MEAC schools that are content in what seems like a lack of vision outside of what the HBCU landscape has always been.

DSU wants to drop the budget in line with the rest of the MEAC or they want to go to a conference where spending is in line with other schools. They have been in contact on and off with the Big South for 6 years now. The Big South wants them full time, but Delaware State was pursuing and affiliate membership originally.

Winston-Salem State and Savannah State have had polarizing effects on the fans of some of the other schools.

Hampton and SC State are the two schools who have members of their fans base and administrators comment on the direction of the MEAC and their schools maybe not being in line anymore.

A&T and A&M, if they could get their ducks in a row again, have the most potential to make a bigger jump. In fact, A&M tried it and A&T was about to follow them before it fell apart.

Outside of the above schools, the rest of the MEAC seems content to do what they've always done.

WestCoastAggie is right, until an offer is made (and made public) we won't know what any of them will do. But I guarantee that 2 of the 3 of Hampton, SC State and Delaware state (at minimum) would leave if invited out.

That's interesting to predict. One thing you have to realize is that many of the "old heads" that care and donate to athletics do not want to leave the "comfy confines" of the Mid-Eastern Athletic Conference. This is due to the comfort and history developed playing HBCU's. Also, many fans that attend HBCU games attend for other reasons than the Game itself. Black Bands are a BIG reason why. At most MEAC schools, that can even pack their Stadium, will only pack their stadium ONLY and ONLY IF the the weather is good outside, the other schools is bringing their band and/or it's a long and heated (A&T/NCCU, SU/JSU) rivalry.

So when an Invite is offically made and is public, many of the "old heads" at that particular school will fight this move tooth & nail.

WestCoastAggie
January 24th, 2011, 04:07 PM
SIDENOTE: Who started that rumor that the Southland and FAMU are starting to flirt with one another???

glsjunior
January 24th, 2011, 05:26 PM
ASU can make it in ConfUSA. So could GSU if we had a real athletic director. Schools in big cities mean nothing. Georgia State can't draw for ish. If this was the case, Georgetown and Hofstra would both be in the Big 10 dominating.

Sure it does. 75% of Ga State's graduates stay in Atlanta to work and live. Therefore big city schools have a bigger base from which to grow fans and for advertisers, it provides a synergistic effect for its campaigns in that particular city. How many of ASU's and Ga Southern grads stay in Boone or Statesboro? Obviously this isn't true for all schools since a lot of the power conference schools are located in small towns, however those fanbases and markets have been built in for generations, and they still are supported by whatever big city is the closest to them.

superman7515
January 24th, 2011, 06:15 PM
I think his point was that just being in a "big city" doesn't guarantee anything. More schools than not that are in large cities don't have outstanding attendance/fan bases. UCLA, Boston College, Georgetown, Howard, Florida International/Miami, Georgia Tech, Houston, Pitt, Temple, etc etc etc.

Blueandwhitefightfight
January 24th, 2011, 06:45 PM
More Georgia Southern alumni drive down from Atlanta for GSU games than Ga. St. fans stay in Atlanta for Ga. St. games.

I can't wait for Ga. St. to go full fledge CAA so they can get their a$$es handed to them on a weekly basis. Maybe that will silence them as somehow losing to Lambuth didn't.

gophoenix
January 24th, 2011, 07:36 PM
That's interesting to predict. One thing you have to realize is that many of the "old heads" that care and donate to athletics do not want to leave the "comfy confines" of the Mid-Eastern Athletic Conference. This is due to the comfort and history developed playing HBCU's. Also, many fans that attend HBCU games attend for other reasons than the Game itself. Black Bands are a BIG reason why. At most MEAC schools, that can even pack their Stadium, will only pack their stadium ONLY and ONLY IF the the weather is good outside, the other schools is bringing their band and/or it's a long and heated (A&T/NCCU, SU/JSU) rivalry.

So when an Invite is offically made and is public, many of the "old heads" at that particular school will fight this move tooth & nail.

Yeah, but that hasn't seemed to hurt Tennessee State that much in the OVC. And the younger alumni and kids aren't as tied to that as the older people. Just because a school leaves, doesn't mean the rivalry games are gone. A&T/NCCU have played throughout these years even with NCCU being D-II.

whoanellie
January 24th, 2011, 09:25 PM
ASU can make it in ConfUSA. So could GSU if we had a real athletic director. Schools in big cities mean nothing. Georgia State can't draw for ish. If this was the case, Georgetown and Hofstra would both be in the Big 10 dominating. I have to disagree with you on your point that Big Cities mean nothing... Major Media Markets drive revenue. A Region or State institution that has Mass appeal may already have cornered the Market example the SEC will always dominate the South. ESPN also controls with their "Family" a huge pecking order. When it comes to games and TV exposure the Conf/USA and Mount./West fill those Tuesday & Thursday Midnight madness and also infringe on the high holy times of Friday Night Lights for high Schools. With no one essentially wanting ASU in the SunBelt. Is it worth it to structure another FBS conference with all the newcomers Ga. ST, ODU, So. Ala. From their BIOS I imagine the Blue Ribbon Panel of Appsters all have an interest in local development promotion. A beautiful area with major recreational resources. There is a local alumni fanbase within 100 mile radius. No major airline hub a Television Station or a Major Newspaper. Major Competition from the ACC, SEC, on all sides plus no major interstate highways go through the campus. It will be a hard sell.

Saint3333
January 25th, 2011, 08:48 AM
Major Competition from the ACC, SEC, on all sides plus no major interstate highways go through the campus. It will be a hard sell.

Competition for fans, recruits? Could you clarify? For fans ASU has enough graduates with 100 miles to pull 40K if they got an FBS opponent at home. For recruits they'd be competing vs. Sun Belt and CUSA schools not ACC and SEC schools. Any ASU fan that thinks they are going to automatically rise to that level will be disappointed.

blazrdog#1
January 25th, 2011, 09:57 AM
Natural nearby rivals.

glsjunior
January 25th, 2011, 02:03 PM
More Georgia Southern alumni drive down from Atlanta for GSU games than Ga. St. fans stay in Atlanta for Ga. St. games.

I can't wait for Ga. St. to go full fledge CAA so they can get their a$$es handed to them on a weekly basis. Maybe that will silence them as somehow losing to Lambuth didn't.

It took you 30 years and 6 national championships for you to get the 20 k you draw now. It also doesn't hurt that you are in a town where there is nothing else to do on Sat afternoon. Besides, I guarantee that you don't have 16k people driving 3 hours to Statesboro to watch a game. Ga Southern doesn't even get coverage by any major newspaper. The Savannah Times isn't going to blow you up just because you decided to join the Sunbelt. But hey you will get a full page in the next Athlon xbowx

whoanellie
January 25th, 2011, 02:46 PM
exactly you are in a sweet spot with no competition per se however that is the delima 40k is pushing it but a 50k arena at KBS will still never get a SEC nor ACC school to play you up there and with Conference wanting you to join up. frustrating
Competition for fans, recruits? Could you clarify? For fans ASU has enough graduates with 100 miles to pull 40K if they got an FBS opponent at home. For recruits they'd be competing vs. Sun Belt and CUSA schools not ACC and SEC schools. Any ASU fan that thinks they are going to automatically rise to that level will be disappointed.

Skjellyfetti
January 25th, 2011, 03:09 PM
exactly you are in a sweet spot with no competition per se however that is the delima 40k is pushing it but a 50k arena at KBS will still never get a SEC nor ACC school to play you up there and with Conference wanting you to join up. frustrating

why? defending national champions Alabama played at Duke this year. Duke averaged ~26,000 this year.

AppAlum2003
January 25th, 2011, 03:21 PM
why? defending national champions Alabama played at Duke this year. Duke averaged ~26,000 this year.

Yeah, but the Duke football players agreed to do the Crimson Tides' homework for them. :D

boonedocks
January 25th, 2011, 03:23 PM
Yeah, but the Duke football players agreed to do the Crimson Tides' homework for them. :D

Come on now, you know Alabama football players don't get assigned homework. That would be a breach of their contracts.

Reign of Terrier
January 25th, 2011, 04:50 PM
It took you 30 years and 6 national championships for you to get the 20 k you draw now. It also doesn't hurt that you are in a town where there is nothing else to do on Sat afternoon. Besides, I guarantee that you don't have 16k people driving 3 hours to Statesboro to watch a game. Ga Southern doesn't even get coverage by any major newspaper. The Savannah Times isn't going to blow you up just because you decided to join the Sunbelt. But hey you will get a full page in the next Athlon xbowx

It may be because their AD is incompetent and they haven't expanded their stadium. GSU fills their stadium. glsjunior has no credibility when it comes to evaluating how much teams get exposure. His theory that USC Upstate gets more media coverage than wofford is proof of that .

Saint3333
January 25th, 2011, 05:06 PM

ASU averages more than every Sun Belt school and seven of 12 CUSA teams.

Take a look at some of the Sun Belt and CUSA programs who will play a BCS opponent @ home:

UAB - 2012 Ole Miss. & 2013 Miss. St.
Troy - 2012 - Miss St.
Southern Miss. - 2013 - Nebraska, 2015 - Miss St.
Middle Tenn. - 2015 & 2017 - Vandy
Marshall - 2014 - Louisville & 2017 - Purdue
LA - Monroe - 2013 - Baylor
FIU - Lousiville, Texas A&M, Pittsburgh in the next three years

You still think ASU couldn't get a BCS program to come play in Boone? I'm not saying year one, but by year 5 one of them would be on the schedule.

Nice website for future schedules - http://www.nationalchamps.net/NCAA/future_schedules/

gophoenix
January 26th, 2011, 09:10 AM
ASU averages more than every Sun Belt school and seven of 12 CUSA teams.

Take a look at some of the Sun Belt and CUSA programs who will play a BCS opponent @ home:

UAB - 2012 Ole Miss. & 2013 Miss. St.
Troy - 2012 - Miss St.
Southern Miss. - 2013 - Nebraska, 2015 - Miss St.
Middle Tenn. - 2015 & 2017 - Vandy
Marshall - 2014 - Louisville & 2017 - Purdue
LA - Monroe - 2013 - Baylor
FIU - Lousiville, Texas A&M, Pittsburgh in the next three years

You still think ASU couldn't get a BCS program to come play in Boone? I'm not saying year one, but by year 5 one of them would be on the schedule.

Nice website for future schedules - http://www.nationalchamps.net/NCAA/future_schedules/

They do today. But what happens when two things happen:
1) Jerry Moore retires
2) App starts losing

When you increase the level of competition, number 2 becomes more likely. It might not happen, and if not, great. But it took 30 years of winning to get to where you are now. Fans at App don't know how to lose anymore. And as much as a loss to Elon or Wofford suck for you guys, what happens if you lose to a LA Lafayette or Arkansas State or start having mediocre seasons like ECU or Marshall lately. Will the fans still show up? They left in droves in the playoffs against Villanova. But that's just a question.

Then there is the fact that Jerry Moore is old, gotta be coming close to retirement. What happens if a bad coaching choice is made or someone, who seems good, but at the FBS level maybe is only mediocre?

Both are IFs. You can't hang a decision on an if. But you also can't hang superstar stats now comparing to CUSA when App simply rarely loses at this level. Losing more is going to have an impact on fans, big time, especially fans who aren't used to losing.

But I am with you, big boys will come to Boone. They go anywhere in their division really. But having a big name come isn't going to mean anything for the big name school. It might mean something for the local fans until the novelty of playing and losing to these schools becomes more of the norm.

Saint3333
January 26th, 2011, 09:39 AM
GP there of course is that risk. However will the fanbase grow tired of OOC games vs. Jacksonville, PC, etc. Winning SoCon titles and NCs isn't a given either. There is also various risks in staying including a ceiling at this level which one would argue ASU has hit and the potential exit of other FCS "powers". This is my biggest concern.

ASU football has become more than going to see the boys beat an FCS program. Game days are now an event in which friends gather to tailgate and spend a day or weekend in the mountains in the fall. This will help curb the losses when they occur.

I disagree with the 30 years of winning, it took 3 years of quality leadership. Without Peacock and Cobb, ASU would still be winning 8 or 9 games a year averaging 16K a game. If ASU had leadership that is currently has I'm not sure ASU would have went from 1-A to 1-AA in 1982 or decided to stay in the late 90's.

I couldn't tell you what it feels like to lose to Elon, it hasn't happened in my lifetime ;-).

cmaxwellgsu
January 26th, 2011, 09:45 AM

We've been at the same attendance level for 20 years jackass. Hopefully, we're finally getting a long overdue stadium expansion. Your big city theory is pretty hair-brained too, since your school will be last in line after the Braves, Bulldogs, Falcons, Yellow Jackets, Hawks, Thrashers, concerts, etc. Atlanta has far more proven entertainment options for advertisers, who aren't as big as booster donations in the grand scheme of things. By the way, how has that attendance gone since the big debut?

Rekdiver
January 26th, 2011, 11:12 AM
I've got it...... The American Conference with an East and a West Division. The west will be comprised of the former WAC schools. The East comprised of ASU JMU Charlotte, ECU GSU and a couple of others.... Win your division and have a championship game between East and West... (Basically the WAC decided to expand east)

Waco Kid
January 26th, 2011, 04:14 PM
1) Jerry Moore retires
2) App starts losing

When you increase the level of competition, number 2 becomes more likely. It might not happen, and if not, great. But it took 30 years of winning to get to where you are now. Fans at App don't know how to lose anymore. And as much as a loss to Elon or Wofford suck for you guys, what happens if you lose to a LA Lafayette or Arkansas State or start having mediocre seasons like ECU or Marshall lately. Will the fans still show up? They left in droves in the playoffs against Villanova. But that's just a question.

Then there is the fact that Jerry Moore is old, gotta be coming close to retirement. What happens if a bad coaching choice is made or someone, who seems good, but at the FBS level maybe is only mediocre?

Both are IFs. You can't hang a decision on an if. But you also can't hang superstar stats now comparing to CUSA when App simply rarely loses at this level. Losing more is going to have an impact on fans, big time, especially fans who aren't used to losing.

But I am with you, big boys will come to Boone. They go anywhere in their division really. But having a big name come isn't going to mean anything for the big name school. It might mean something for the local fans until the novelty of playing and losing to these schools becomes more of the norm.

A couple of things GP...

1) ASU was a national player before Jerry Moore ever stepped foot on campus. Two years before he was hired we made it to the Semi-Finals under Sparky Woods. Woods also coached numerous All Americans in his time here at ASU. We've had crowds of 25K dating back to the late 80's so don't act like a packed KBS is something never seen before 2005.

2) If we move up there will be growing pains, but ASU has proven to be a winner in football no matter the level of play. You can go all the way back to the 30's when we had teams going unbeaten and unscored upon. After a few tough years as a start up program in D1 we were not only competetive in the SoCon, but we were beating teams from the ACC. Since the mid 80's we've averaged nearly 9 wins a season, and we've been in the playoffs 18 times. ASU will not be a losing program long term.

Nothing is a given in FCS or FBS. With the Big East talking about expanding without Nova it sounds like UCF could leave CUSA and open up a spot for us. You should be excited to see us go and put an end the yearly beatings we give you.

Accelerati Incredibilus
January 26th, 2011, 07:15 PM
1) Jerry Moore retires
2) App starts losing

You can IF this thing ‘til the cows come home. All those predicting doom and gloom for the Mountaineers if they move up forget to take into consideration ASU will have several years of transition and the opportunity to recruit accordingly. You discredit the ASU fan base by implying they aren’t insightful enough to realize our team will be playing better competition and will flee the program if the Apps do not win 85 to 90% of their games. Most I know will gladly take a “mediocre” season against quality FBS opposition over rolling roughshod through a schedule filled with outmanned and overmatched teams. I also grow tired of the dire predictions App is destined to fail once Jerry Moore hangs it up. The fact is Jerry Moore enjoys a tremendous advantage over most of the teams he faces. ASU has some of (if not the) best facilities, most rabid fans, outstanding funding, incredible administrative support, and relatively easy conference opposition in all of FCS football. He also has one of the top public universities in the South to recruit to. In reality, he has no excuse for NOT pulling many of the best players and winning a big majority of his games. When Jerry Moore retires the applicant pool for the job will be shocking. It is a job which offers everything a motivated and aggressive coach is looking for. I know Dr Peacock’s desire to see ASU athletics succeed is immeasurable. I’m looking forward to the move and see nothing but better days ahead for ASU football.

superman7515
January 26th, 2011, 07:27 PM
and relatively easy conference opposition in all of FCS football.

Uh oh...

eaglewraith
January 26th, 2011, 08:14 PM
You can IF this thing ‘til the cows come home. All those predicting doom and gloom for the Mountaineers if they move up forget to take into consideration ASU will have several years of transition and the opportunity to recruit accordingly. You discredit the ASU fan base by implying they aren’t insightful enough to realize our team will be playing better competition and will flee the program if the Apps do not win 85 to 90% of their games. Most I know will gladly take a “mediocre” season against quality FBS opposition over rolling roughshod through a schedule filled with outmanned and overmatched teams. I also grow tired of the dire predictions App is destined to fail once Jerry Moore hangs it up. The fact is Jerry Moore enjoys a tremendous advantage over most of the teams he faces. ASU has some of (if not the) best facilities, most rabid fans, outstanding funding, incredible administrative support, and relatively easy conference opposition in all of FCS football. He also has one of the top public universities in the South to recruit to. In reality, he has no excuse for NOT pulling many of the best players and winning a big majority of his games. When Jerry Moore retires the applicant pool for the job will be shocking. It is a job which offers everything a motivated and aggressive coach is looking for. I know Dr Peacock’s desire to see ASU athletics succeed is immeasurable. I’m looking forward to the move and see nothing but better days ahead for ASU football.

Uh huh.

What did the scoreboard say again this year?

cmaxwellgsu
January 26th, 2011, 09:05 PM

I wish we could get a competent AD so we could both make the jump. Our fan base felt the same way around 2000, and good ol' Sammy decided to destroy the program rather than grow it. We really felt the same way about our competition at that time, as Paulson looked like a ghost town come half time. Luckily, we now have a sports fan as president rather than an elitist who resented athletics. I hope that this rivalry continues in FBS.

Appfan_in_CAAland
January 26th, 2011, 09:10 PM
1) Jerry Moore retires
2) App starts losing

Appalachian State has a history of winning that pre-dates Moore by 60 years, ASU is the 22nd winningest active program in D-I (not counting ODU's 2nd yr program which will probably drop when they join the CAA). http://www.texasfan7.greatnow.com/Alltime/Rankings.htm There is no reason to say "when" the second thing on this list happens. "If" maybe, but not "when."

GSU EAGLES
January 26th, 2011, 09:17 PM
Appalachian State has a history of winning that pre-dates Moore by 60 years, ASU is the 22nd winningest active program in D-I (not counting ODU's 2nd yr program which will probably drop when they join the CAA). http://www.texasfan7.greatnow.com/Alltime/Rankings.htm There is no reason to say "when" the second thing on this list happens. "If" maybe, but not "when."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_winningest_college_football_teams

Check out #3 "teams ranked by winning percentage for all divisions" .724

Accelerati Incredibilus
January 26th, 2011, 09:20 PM
"rolling roughshod through a schedule filled with outmanned and overmatched teams."
"relatively easy conference opposition in all of FCS football."

The numbers do not lie. ASU's winning percentage in the SoCon over the past five years is 92%, and 83% over the past ten. In all 1-AA games the last five years ASU has won 85% and 82% over the past ten. I believe those figures support the statements pretty well.

Uh huh. What did the scoreboard say again this year?

What do you mean by "again"? Do I need to remind you the 2010 Eagle win was only their second over ASU in the past 6 years.

Accelerati Incredibilus
January 26th, 2011, 09:23 PM
I wish we could get a competent AD so we could both make the jump. Our fan base felt the same way around 2000, and good ol' Sammy decided to destroy the program rather than grow it. We really felt the same way about our competition at that time, as Paulson looked like a ghost town come half time. Luckily, we now have a sports fan as president rather than an elitist who resented athletics. I hope that this rivalry continues in FBS.

So do I. Since the demise of Furman's program the GSU game is the only game I get excited to play. Uh oh! Guess I upset the Elon guys with that statement. But you know, it is hard to get excited about playing a team that hasn't beaten you since the 1960's.

Appfan_in_CAAland
January 26th, 2011, 09:24 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...football_teams

Check out #3 "teams ranked by winning percentage for all divisions" .724

That's a dead link, but #3 on the link I added is ODU which is why I added "not counting ODU" because they won't be there next year.

Apphole
January 26th, 2011, 09:32 PM
Uh huh.

What did the scoreboard say again this year?

I'll take a 6th straight conference championship over a fluke upset any day. We'll show you at home this year. 34k for sure with the new seats.

GSU EAGLES
January 26th, 2011, 09:32 PM
That's a dead link, but #3 on the link I added is ODU which is why I added "not counting ODU" because they won't be there next year.

Appfan_in_CAAland
January 26th, 2011, 09:46 PM
Cool list, thanks for the link. But the info is at best incomplete.

My link has Georgia Southern's all-time record at 328-108-10 for .624 - good enough for 20th all-time. I'm, in general, skeptical of info from wikipedia.

glsjunior
January 26th, 2011, 09:50 PM
We've been at the same attendance level for 20 years jackass. Hopefully, we're finally getting a long overdue stadium expansion. Your big city theory is pretty hair-brained too, since your school will be last in line after the Braves, Bulldogs, Falcons, Yellow Jackets, Hawks, Thrashers, concerts, etc. Atlanta has far more proven entertainment options for advertisers, who aren't as big as booster donations in the grand scheme of things. By the way, how has that attendance gone since the big debut?

You can't expand your stadium because you don't have the cash. We graduate more CEO's than you do, we have more alumni than you do. Our position in a city of 5 million people allows us to charge more for advertising than Southern can. The Georgia Dome offers more opportunity for signage, luxury seating, and merchanding than Paulson can no matter how many seats you put on that dirt hill. This is just a list of our gameday sponsors. (http://www.georgiastatesports.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=12700&ATCLID=205036251) It is a list that will grow as our program grows. Unless Georgia Southern gets an invite to the SEC, your program will be on the endangered list, just like your mascot. We already punked you on the name GSU, your administration doesn't even want to use it. http://www.ajc.com/sports/georgia-state/georgia-state-or-georgia-611233.html

cmaxwellgsu
January 26th, 2011, 10:05 PM
You can't expand your stadium because you don't have the cash. We graduate more CEO's than you do, we have more alumni than you do. Our position in a city of 5 million people allows us to charge more for advertising than Southern can. The Georgia Dome offers more opportunity for signage, luxury seating, and merchanding than Paulson can no matter how many seats you put on that dirt hill. This is just a list of our gameday sponsors. (http://www.georgiastatesports.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=12700&ATCLID=205036251) It is a list that will grow as our program grows. Unless Georgia Southern gets an invite to the SEC, your program will be on the endangered list, just like your mascot. We already punked you on the name GSU, your administration doesn't even want to use it. http://www.ajc.com/sports/georgia-state/georgia-state-or-georgia-611233.html

As shown by the logo put in use around 2000, we use our name more than the GSU initials. By the way, the list of scores on that AJC show the stink you put on those initials. Our football program is doing great; call us if you want to come visit Statesboro when you actually have an FCS team. It sounds like your folks were worried of using it because of being in our shadows from your article. As far as growth opportunity, good luck getting into the signage if Arthur Blank's Falcons actually give you the permission to use it. The bigshots who own the boxes probably don't want some pissant commuter school fans in it the day before. Again, the city of 5 million has far better entertainment options than your JUCO team. We have built a tradition that will grow as our university does, and will continue to fill an expanded Paulson. Maybe you can put some of the bums in your parking deck in the Dome to make it look less empty.

BlueHenSinfonian
January 26th, 2011, 10:13 PM

GA State was until recently very heavily weighted towards being a commuter school, and even now still has a majority of the student body which doesn't live 'on campus' (at least according to wikipedia based on the total amount of dorm space they have listed vs. student body size). GA State is a bigger school than GA Southern, but there is a huge difference where it comes to fan loyalty and support when you compare commuter students who happen to live in Atlanta and go to GA State because it's convenient and students and alumni of a school like GA Southern who made the choice to relocate to a campus outside of the beaten path.

Does GA State have to pay for the use of the Georgia Dome? How much of the proceeds from the games go towards paying the rent? When it comes to corporate sponsors, yes, GA State likely has more to work with there, you are after all in the middle of one of the biggest cities in the south. Corporate sponsorship can go both ways though and at some level it's a bit tacky (at least you aren't as bad as Dayton who has ads printed in the end zones...)

Appfan_in_CAAland
January 26th, 2011, 10:22 PM
One issue I think comes into play with commuters schools like Ga State is how many of those students are middle-aged housewives taking night classes part time? There is certainly nothing wrong with that but it is not how you build a loyal fan base; those people don't become athletic donors or season-ticketholders. Georgia Southern, App State, and James Madison have students who come to campus while still young and grow into lifelong fans. Georgia State, UNC Charlotte, and George Mason - maybe not so much.

eaglewraith
January 27th, 2011, 05:26 AM
I'll take a 6th straight conference championship over a fluke upset any day. We'll show you at home this year. 34k for sure with the new seats.

You're just matching what we've already done.

And a fluke upset? Barring 2009 which balances with our beatdown in 2004, how many of those games have been outright pushovers?

eaglewraith
January 27th, 2011, 05:30 AM
"rolling roughshod through a schedule filled with outmanned and overmatched teams."
"relatively easy conference opposition in all of FCS football."

The numbers do not lie. ASU's winning percentage in the SoCon over the past five years is 92%, and 83% over the past ten. In all 1-AA games the last five years ASU has won 85% and 82% over the past ten. I believe those figures support the statements pretty well.

What do you mean by "again"? Do I need to remind you the 2010 Eagle win was only their second over ASU in the past 6 years.

Even in the last 4. You can pull any kind of numbers up you want to make your point, but it doesn't change the fact that you rarely get an easy game against us.

Apphole
January 27th, 2011, 09:02 AM
Even in the last 4. You can pull any kind of numbers up you want to make your point, but it doesn't change the fact that you rarely get an easy game against us.

I'm curious. With our only conference loss in 3 years coming in overtime, how can you argue with the fact? Yeah sure GSU has a rich history, a simi-big/loud stadium and 3/5 the fan support of App, but can you really argue that we haven't dominated this conference in the last decade? I'm glad your school can compete most years, but I'd like more than 2 interesting conference games a year; some that will add a little prestige.

Apphole
January 27th, 2011, 09:14 AM
You're just matching what we've already done.

And a fluke upset? Barring 2009 which balances with our beatdown in 2004, how many of those games have been outright pushovers?

I can't even begin to tell you how irrelevant your dusty old conference trophies are. I sure you know as well as anybody that your ancient success means nothing in terms of tangible advantages. We won the SoCon, the NC or have gone on a deep playoff run for the last 6 years. Not while the US was at war in Vietnam. As far as the fluke upset goes if you don't think it was an upset, you're wrong. We were #1 in the FCS and were deep into one of our usual twenty-something-odd conference win streaks that is tragically broken every three years. Hence all the red-necks on the field after the game. One win in 4 years is a little flukeish to me. Though I suppose it is arguable.

gophoenix
January 27th, 2011, 09:30 AM

Aww, poor little baby got his feelings hurt. See, Saint, who I argue with til blue in the face sometimes, got the point. Yes, I can if the thing. That's what you do in the business world, you weigh the IFs to determine what risk is worth it to make a move.

The truth of the matter is, Moore will leave. And getting in the right coach will make a difference in the program. Hiring someone can wreck a program (ask any other school, look at GSU and look at what happened to their fan base and average over the past 4 seasons compared to 2010). To think that App is immune to this is fooling yourself.

And, plenty of App fans might be willing to take mediocre seasons. But, the stadium isn't filled with those types of people. The stadium is filled with fair weather, expect to win, expect good weather fans. Those, not you guys here, are the ones not used to losing and those are the ones that any team is at risk of losing if things go south either on a coaching front or a winning front. Those are the types who, after a few mediocre rebuilding seasons at FBS, are at risk of not coming back until things get better. And then it is the chicken or the egg. I mean, look at how those rabid fans poured out of the stadium in the sleet and snow against a Villanova team. If they can't stay, in typical weather and take a loss against a school that is FBS material too, why in the world would it be any better with a 5-5 season losing to BCS foes and beat Sun Belt type foes?

I'll ignore the other smack items from your little tantrum.

glsjunior
January 27th, 2011, 10:31 AM
GA State was until recently very heavily weighted towards being a commuter school, and even now still has a majority of the student body which doesn't live 'on campus' (at least according to wikipedia based on the total amount of dorm space they have listed vs. student body size). GA State is a bigger school than GA Southern, but there is a huge difference where it comes to fan loyalty and support when you compare commuter students who happen to live in Atlanta and go to GA State because it's convenient and students and alumni of a school like GA Southern who made the choice to relocate to a campus outside of the beaten path.

Does GA State have to pay for the use of the Georgia Dome? How much of the proceeds from the games go towards paying the rent? When it comes to corporate sponsors, yes, GA State likely has more to work with there, you are after all in the middle of one of the biggest cities in the south. Corporate sponsorship can go both ways though and at some level it's a bit tacky (at least you aren't as bad as Dayton who has ads printed in the end zones...)

While we will always be a mostly commuter school (most big city schools are) over the last year we have built freshman dorms, greek housing and have taken over 2 downtown hotels (http://www.11alive.com/rss/rss_story.aspx?storyid=150743). Our on campus housing will be about 9k in the next 2 years. We are also slated to have around 50k students by 2014. It cost us 900k to rent the dome last season but we ended the season with a profit. http://www.ajc.com/sports/georgia-state/georgia-state-attendance-excellent-724597.html

We have a football budget of around 5 million and it will only go up as attendance goes up as we play a more identifiable schedule in the CAA and we qualify for postseason play.

gophoenix
January 27th, 2011, 11:02 AM
While we will always be a mostly commuter school (most big city schools are) over the last year we have built freshman dorms, greek housing and have taken over 2 downtown hotels. Our on campus housing will be about 9k in the next 2 years. We are also slated to have around 50k students by 2014. It cost us 900k to rent the dome last season but we ended the season with a profit. http://www.ajc.com/sports/georgia-state/georgia-state-attendance-excellent-724597.html

That is most definitely false. Most "big city" schools are not dominated by commuters. Only schools who focus on those types of students and secondary teaching.

We have a football budget of around 5 million and it will only go up as attendance goes up as we play a more identifiable schedule in the CAA and we qualify for postseason play.

That's not necessarily true on any front.

Saint3333
January 27th, 2011, 11:18 AM
Keeping a good coach whether ASU stays FCS or goes FBS will be a struggle going forward.

glsjunior
January 27th, 2011, 11:20 AM
That is most definitely false. Most "big city" schools are not dominated by commuters. Only schools who focus on those types of students and secondary teaching.

That's not necessarily true on any front.

Most big city schools are commuter because it is often cheaper to rent an off campus apartment than it is to live on on campus housing. You also don't have to deal with the rules of on campus housing. And by big city I mean those with a million or more people, so Elon, North Carolina doesn't count.

gophoenix
January 27th, 2011, 11:57 AM
Most big city schools are commuter because it is often cheaper to rent an off campus apartment than it is to live on on campus housing. You also don't have to deal with the rules of on campus housing. And by big city I mean those with a million or more people, so Elon, North Carolina doesn't count.

You dictated that Atlanta was 5 million people. So, seeing that Atlanta is only 550,000 people then I will assume you mean the metro area which is closer to 6 million people now, being #10. By that definition, Elon is part of the Triad. The Triad is 1.6 million people and 31st in the metro areas. According to the Census Bureau, that is a big city. You need to figure out how you want to measure things rather than changing it in the argument then getting bent out of shape. So, Elon, NC does not have 1 million people. Neither does the city of Atlanta, GA.

Now, back to your assessment. Do you seriously not understand the difference between a commuter student and part time student vs a full time student and a full time student that moved off campus? Are you telling me that Elon is now a commuter school, and Appalachian, because the juniors and seniors life in off campus housing? Are you seriously trying to spin it that way? Would you like to re-think your tactic rather than making this way to easy to argue against you?

Apphole
January 27th, 2011, 12:05 PM
Aww, poor little baby got his feelings hurt. See, Saint, who I argue with til blue in the face sometimes, got the point. Yes, I can if the thing. That's what you do in the business world, you weigh the IFs to determine what risk is worth it to make a move.

The truth of the matter is, Moore will leave. And getting in the right coach will make a difference in the program. Hiring someone can wreck a program (ask any other school, look at GSU and look at what happened to their fan base and average over the past 4 seasons compared to 2010). To think that App is immune to this is fooling yourself.

And, plenty of App fans might be willing to take mediocre seasons. But, the stadium isn't filled with those types of people. The stadium is filled with fair weather, expect to win, expect good weather fans. Those, not you guys here, are the ones not used to losing and those are the ones that any team is at risk of losing if things go south either on a coaching front or a winning front. Those are the types who, after a few mediocre rebuilding seasons at FBS, are at risk of not coming back until things get better. And then it is the chicken or the egg. I mean, look at how those rabid fans poured out of the stadium in the sleet and snow against a Villanova team. If they can't stay, in typical weather and take a loss against a school that is FBS material too, why in the world would it be any better with a 5-5 season losing to BCS foes and beat Sun Belt type foes?

I'll ignore the other smack items from your little tantrum.

You have obviously never been to The Rock. The 30K there are some of the most devoted people you will ever meet. Playoff attendance is an irrelevant issue that WILL NOT affect us in the FBS. We're used to winning/get upset when we lose only because our league is such a joke over all. A loss to a C-USA conference mate wouldn't be near the tragedy of losing to a team like the Stink. I didn't even have to look at your name to figure you for an Elon fan. Save the constructive criticism for a team that you've beaten in the last 40 years. Those "fair weather" fans managed to out number Elon fans when we played you at your place last time.

Apphole
January 27th, 2011, 12:10 PM
You dictated that Atlanta was 5 million people. So, seeing that Atlanta is only 550,000 people then I will assume you mean the metro area which is closer to 6 million people now, being #10. By that definition, Elon is part of the Triad. The Triad is 1.6 million people and 31st in the metro areas. According to the Census Bureau, that is a big city. You need to figure out how you want to measure things rather than changing it in the argument then getting bent out of shape. So, Elon, NC does not have 1 million people. Neither does the city of Atlanta, GA.

Now, back to your assessment. Do you seriously not understand the difference between a commuter student and part time student vs a full time student and a full time student that moved off campus? Are you telling me that Elon is now a commuter school, and Appalachian, because the juniors and seniors life in off campus housing? Are you seriously trying to spin it that way? Would you like to re-think your tactic rather than making this way to easy to argue against you?

Elon can't be a commuter school. It takes a whole day to drive from New York to North Carolina.

gophoenix
January 27th, 2011, 12:22 PM
You have obviously never been to The Rock. The 30K there are some of the most devoted people you will ever meet. Playoff attendance is an irrelevant issue that WILL NOT affect us in the FBS. We're used to winning/get upset when we lose only because our league is such a joke over all. A loss to a C-USA conference mate wouldn't be near the tragedy of losing to a team like the Stink. I didn't even have to look at your name to figure you for an Elon fan. Save the constructive criticism for a team that you've beaten in the last 40 years. Those "fair weather" fans managed to out number Elon fans when we played you at your place last time.

I've been to the rock more times that's you've posted on this board. I have been for Elon games. I've been for games in the 90s with my friends that went there. I've been to a few regular season and other games. The results are the same for the most part. If you guys are losing, your fans pour out just like at any school.

But I love it, App fans love to comment on everyone else's business. As soon as it pours into your business, all hell breaks loose.

And no, App fans have never outnumbered Elon fans at Elon. But thanks for spinning that, again. Like that one isn't said enough. But hey, if you guys propagate a lie enough times, you start believing it.

Apphole
January 27th, 2011, 01:12 PM
Sigh, there are so many pictures to disprove this. But hey, smack it all you want, lie all you want if you want to make yourself feel big and better.

Just watched it on DVD last night actually. Half and half. Plenty of fans for both teams there. It's too bad Elon's team didn't show up.

Accelerati Incredibilus
January 27th, 2011, 02:22 PM
If you guys are losing, your fans pour out just like at any school.

Considering it has only happened 7 times during the last 70 games we don't have people leaving for those reasons. Most of the time it is because we're usually beating the crap out of the opponent and the game is boring.

But I love it, App fans love to comment on everyone else's business.

Are you telling me the Elon people never have anything to say about ASU?

And no, App fans have never outnumbered Elon fans at Elon.

Is that before half time or after? Half way through the third quarter of the ASU games the home side is mostly empty. We got great seats over there after halftime every game. Beats being crammed in those tiny visitor's stands or sitting on that darn hill.

Umpire
January 27th, 2011, 04:33 PM
All right, chill with the attacks and pot shots. Infractions have been handed out already.

Cat79
January 27th, 2011, 05:10 PM
We have been discussing adding eastern universities to the WAC. There are a couple of threads going . The new NCAA rules require an FBS conference to sponsor a team in order to move up. Texas State is counted as FCS in 2011 and become FBS transitional in 2012 and count as a FBS opponent for WAC teams. We will become bowl eligible in 2013.

Reign of Terrier
January 27th, 2011, 07:46 PM
We were #1 in the FCS and were deep into one of our usual twenty-something-odd conference win streaks that is tragically broken every three years. Hence all the red-necks on the field after the game. One win in 4 years is a little flukeish to me. Though I suppose it is arguable.
wrong. App has never won 20something straight SoCon games in a row before the current streak, at least not more than the last time and 1 time before if that even ever happened, in which case it doesn't count as "frequent," heck the longest SoCon win streak they had on their 3-peat run was 12.

I'm calling BS. App State has a great following, but I hear too many of their own fans complaining about the fair weather fans. And yes I know I'm a Wofford fan and I shouldn't be telling any fanbase how to attend football games, but I'm calling you out on your own BS, so spare me the smack talk about how bad my fanbase is because I acknowledge it. You're just another fair weather fan and hopefully you're not the idiot who showed up on terrierfans this season (and was banned thankfully for having 2 usernames I think)

Mountaineer
January 27th, 2011, 08:34 PM
wrong. App has never won 20something straight SoCon games in a row, at least not more than the last time and 1 time before if that even ever happened, in which case it doesn't count as "frequent," heck the longest SoCon win streak they had on their 3-peat run was 12.

xscanx

ASU had a 26 game SoCon winning streak that ended the past year against Georgia Southern. The second longest all-time, only to West Virginia's 30 game streak from 1952-59.

Reign of Terrier
January 27th, 2011, 08:40 PM
xscanx

ASU had a 26 game SoCon winning streak that ended the past year against Georgia Southern. The second longest all-time, only to West Virginia's 30 game streak from 1952-59.

typo, I meant before the current streak

eaglewraith
January 27th, 2011, 08:42 PM
I'm curious. With our only conference loss in 3 years coming in overtime, how can you argue with the fact? Yeah sure GSU has a rich history, a simi-big/loud stadium and 3/5 the fan support of App, but can you really argue that we haven't dominated this conference in the last decade? I'm glad your school can compete most years, but I'd like more than 2 interesting conference games a year; some that will add a little prestige.

Dude...I said you rarely got an easy game against us. On the average, most games with us are a battle.

Let's go back to the beginning of the last decade, since you don't like "ancient" history and it's the same time frame you used in another post.

Year Score Winner
2001 27-18 GSU
2001 38-24 GSU
2002 36-20 GSU
2003 28-21 ASU
2004 54-7 GSU
2005 24-7 ASU
2006 27-20 ASU (2OT)
2007 38-35 GSU
2008 37-36 ASU
2009 52-16 ASU
2010 21-14 GSU (OT)

GSU point total: 314 Points/game: 28.5
ASU point total: 286 Points/game: 26

Decade record: 6-5 in favor of GSU

So yea....really run roughshod over us. That's "being able to compete?" My point is right, you rarely get an easy game against us. We should know all about domination, we've been there and done more than you have. It should also be pretty obvious that you can't stay on the top forever, that it does go away. Recently App hasn't looked like its 2005-2007 self at all. Could it be that there's just been a series of flukes? Or could it be that whatever made App dominating then either doesn't work to the same effect anymore or just is no longer there?

In short, don't go thinking that App State is God's gift to football. The sun doesn't shine on the same dog's *** forever.

Mountaineer
January 27th, 2011, 08:47 PM
Dude...I said you rarely got an easy game against us.

I believe his original point, before it was twisted into the current ASU/GSU pissing match, is that historically ASU has done extremely well against SoCon competition. The series against GSU is around .500 and the Apps are still a few games under .500 against Furman, but we've handled the rest of the conference pretty easily over time.

In 39 SoCon seasons, ASU has a 188-79-5 all-time record. A .700 winning percentage.

Jerry Moore has been even better against the conference with a 132–36 record. Good for a .786 winning percentage.

The records speak for themselves.

smallcollegefbfan
January 29th, 2011, 10:33 AM

ASU announced not long ago they are going to gradually expand up to 20,000 students I heard.

Not sure C-USA can do anything to get them closer to the BCS table and App is a better program than a few already in C-USA now such as SMU, UAB, Tulsa, and Memphis. ASU gives ECU an instant in-state rival that could even be played at Bank of America Stadium and would easily get a crowd of 50-60k. I'm not saying ASU is ever going to be a BCS program playing for a NC but if they can beat Michigan, almost beat ECU and NC State, Wake Forest, etc. playing in FCS with 22 less scholarships and a much smaller recruiting territory you don't think adding 22 more, expanding the recruiting territory, and added students to generate more revenue can make them a serious contender? They would finish top 5 in C-USA right now and you put them on an even playing field they will contend for the C-USA title 3 out of 5 years easily. Of course you have to give them about 4-5 years as they transition gradually adding scholarships and the new staff gets their feet wet. People can say what they want if ASU does make this move Jerry Moore will leave. He is at the point he doesn't want to do anymore than he is now and is happy being a big fish in a little pond. The only concern I have for ASU is making the right choice for HC. Heard on the street Cobb is close with Mike O'Cain and I think that would be a huge mistake. They need to look at some former coaches who could win for sure like Stacy Searls, Tim Horton, etc.

T-Dog
January 29th, 2011, 03:11 PM
People can say what they want if ASU does make this move Jerry Moore will leave. He is at the point he doesn't want to do anymore than he is now and is happy being a big fish in a little pond. The only concern I have for ASU is making the right choice for HC. Heard on the street Cobb is close with Mike O'Cain and I think that would be a huge mistake. They need to look at some former coaches who could win for sure like Stacy Searls, Tim Horton, etc.

This is all true. Jerry has repeatedly said he has no interest in coaching FBS plus more importantly, his wife is ready for him to step away.

Many App fans are hoping Satterfield will be the next coach. I've also heard Bryan Stinespring's name pop up.

AppMan
January 29th, 2011, 03:36 PM
This is all true. Jerry has repeatedly said he has no interest in coaching FBS plus more importantly, his wife is ready for him to step away.

Many App fans are hoping Satterfield will be the next coach. I've also heard Bryan Stinespring's name pop up.

Nothing against Scott, but I'm not convinced a year as QB coach at Toledo and a few years as OC at FIU has prepared him to be a head coach. With the move to Texas Stacy is probably out of our league from a salary standpoint. Tim Horton has a lot of experience at some major schools. He is in his 4th year as RB coach at Arkansas and he spent a year at Kansas State before returning to AF as OC after being RB coach there for several years. He is extermely respected by the high school coaches NC and is an excellent speaker and recruiter. He also serves as recruitng coordinator at Arkansas.

JDC325
February 1st, 2011, 02:24 PM
Heed the lesson of Western Kentucky. No one wants to see ASU get overrun in the Sun Belt, which is probably the only realistic I-A option out there.

App is way more prepared than WKU.

Skjellyfetti
February 2nd, 2011, 12:15 AM
Appalachian State is a great school, but they are not in a desirable market. This is not a Boise State, nor is Appalachian State capable of copying Boise State's success. Boise State is able to feed its success being located in the third-largest market in the Greater Northwest (Washington, Oregon, and Idaho), so people continued to attend games at Boise knowing that the school could not nor would not play for a national title.

Boise State is successful because they have a great football coach. Period.

They are not in a desirable market and they average ~32,000 fans per home game. That's not very far off Appalachian's attendance. It's certainly in reach if we move to FBS. What makes you think Boise State has such great support that Appalachian could never match?

I'm not saying Appalachian will be playing in BCS bowls anytime soon if they move up. We'd have to luck out by hiring an incredibly talented coach after Jerry retires. But, I don't see Boise as having that much more support than Appalachian does. We can match them from a support level without much effort.

Saint3333
February 2nd, 2011, 07:43 AM
I don't think ASU would be the next Boise St. by any means. But comparing populations within a two hour driving distance from Boone and Boise isn't even close, ASU has access to as many or maybe even more fans.

When will people stop labeling that Michigan team as average, get your facts straight.

Skjellyfetti
February 2nd, 2011, 10:12 AM
Do you REALLY want to compare the population of the state capital of Idaho with Boone, North Carolina? Boise has over a half a million residents. Boise State pretty much monopolizes the Idaho fanbase like $EC and ACC schools do in the Southeast. Their attendance is always good, but that doesn't equate to dollars for the athletic program.

Why do they only average ~32,000 fans? With all you list it seems like they would be able to draw a lot more fans than a hillbilly I-AA school in the middle of nowhere. Hmmmmmm.

Boise State is capitalizing its success also on the contributing alumni which help to finance the program. Appalachian State is surrounded by Duke, NC State, Tennessee, UNC-Chapel Hill, Wake Forest, and East Carolina to name a few. This is stiff competition for recruiting and for following. Boise State doesn't have that kind of in-state competition.

Boise State doesn't have that much in-state competition. But, there's also nothing in Idaho. Population of Idaho = 1.5 million. Population of North Carolina = 9.4 million. Idaho population to FBS ratio = 750,000 people for every FBS program. North Carolina has 1,880,000 people for every FBS program (greater than the population of Idaho).

I'm sure Appalachian can match the support, but I don't believe Appalachian State can match the immediate success.

This is EXACTLY what I was saying. I never said we would be matching their success. That will be largely dependent on whoever replaces Moore. I said we could match their support. And it looks like you agree with me.

cmaxwellgsu
February 2nd, 2011, 02:37 PM
The point I refuted was by a Georgia Southern fan that said Appalachian state WOULD have the capabilities of being the next Boise State. That leaves the average college football fan to imply that Appalachian is able to match the noteriety and fame (built on success) like Boise State in the same fashion as Boise State.

You are overlooking a couple of things. First, Boone is a ski resort area so it has alot of appeal to folks who don't mind driving. You and the Ga State fans are the only people who think the only way you get great support is in right there in town. Most GSU alumni are in Atlanta, but they drive on down the three hours for game day. Second, college football rivals the big pro sports in the South. That type of priority is going to make the necessary support much easier to find. I would think App actually has a location advantage over Boise.

Skjellyfetti
February 2nd, 2011, 03:19 PM
By the end of the season, Michigan proved to be more below average than the Top 25 team they were at the beginning of the season.

What are you talking about? You know Michigan finished in the Top 25 with a beating of Tim Tebow and Florida in the Gator Bowl, right?

After playing a lights out at practically perfect health for one game, Appalachian was able to the rest of the regular season on cruise control.

Cruise control? Really? You know we lost 2 conference games in 2007, right?

Saint3333
February 2nd, 2011, 03:39 PM
By the end of the season, Michigan proved to be more below average than the Top 25 team they were at the beginning of the season. 9-4 is a really good season. I'll give that it's slightly above average, but not by much especially by the Big Ten's standards. Remember, Appalachian's first game and only FBS opponent in 2007 was that Michigan team. After playing a lights out at practically perfect health for one game, Appalachian was able to the rest of the regular season on cruise control.

You don't have a clue about that how that season played out do you? That Michigan team beat the 2007 UF Gators with all everything Tebow (you know the team that one the 2008 national title) in the Capital One bowl that year. ASU wasn't able to go on cruise control either, they lost two conference games that year. You'd think with access to the internet someone could do some research before posting.

edit didn't see sk's post, just piling on now.

FCS Go!
February 2nd, 2011, 06:01 PM
... just piling on now.

Warranted.

Saint3333
February 2nd, 2011, 06:51 PM
Is this guy seriously trying to educate me on ASU football, what a joke. The only people claiming ASU will or will not be the next Boise are people not affliated with ASU.

So now ASU couldn't beat an "average" Michigan team that year if they played again, you are talking out of both sides of your mouth. We don't have to consider if ASU would beat them again, they did it. Hell do you think the Seahawks would beat the Saints again? The better question, does it matter.

Why are you so concerned, clearly ASU can't be anything at the next level. Time for you to move on and let people that follow the program and understand the landscape of football in the south discuss this.

JDC325
February 2nd, 2011, 07:55 PM
Western Kentucky won't be down forever. This was only their second season in the Football Bowl Subdivision. There is much more that goes into being FBS than playing a game with your current coaching staff and players against FBS school coaching staff and players. Meeting the minimum requirements for FBS requires the FCS school to compromise some of what it has now.

Appalachian State is a great school, but they are not in a desirable market. This is not a Boise State, nor is Appalachian State capable of copying Boise State's success. Boise State is able to feed its success being located in the third-largest market in the Greater Northwest (Washington, Oregon, and Idaho), so people continued to attend games at Boise knowing that the school could not nor would not play for a national title.

The BC$ even makes it that much more impossible for non-AQ schools to play for a national title. Appalachian State's inability to compete for a national title in FBS football (unlike its current status in FCS football) will require a different recruiting approach as it has for Troy, Central Florida, Middle Tennessee State, and Louisiana Tech before them. That approach won't always guarantee unimaginable success.

Now if Appalachian State were located in a large metropolitan city in an area of the country deprived of FBS level football, then I think they could copy Boise State's success.

That is great and all but App is still light years more prepared that WKU was when they jumped regardless of what WKU is doing now or will do in the future. There is no correlation to a campuses location and level of sucess either. Actually regional talent available is the most important and is why SEC is far and away the most dominant conference from top to bottom and is why southern schools making the jump have a much brighter future in the FBS. If GSU ever moves up we would never have to buy a plane ticket to recruit for any posistion. The population shift to the South has changed the landscape and is why the Mid West and Rust Belt states, even Ohio and Penn do not have but a handful of ESPN top 150 recruits.

SoCon48
February 2nd, 2011, 09:39 PM
I am aware of that. College Football Datawarehouse is an excellent source. ASU's loss of two conference games was likely due to the fact that they DID take their FCS competition lightly or at least moreso than Michigan. Look, it happens. Do you really think Appalachian State would've beaten Michigan again in the same season? I don't think they would have. Appalachian State played one FBS team. Would Appalachian's momentum continued if they had to follow up Michigan with another AQ school like say USC, or Florida, or Oklahoma? And then what if Appalachian had to follow up that game with another FBS school? And then another?

I'm just saying, I do not see how Appalachian State can absolutely copy to a tee Boise State's success. I do not care about 2007. I do not care that they beat Michigan. Like you said. They also lost to a couple of FCS schools.

Furthermore, I have been to Boone, North Carolina, and I have been to Appalachian's campus. It's a nice, quaint town, but I don't see this school mowing over Utah or BYU or Fresno State in Year 1 of the membership at the FBS level. In fact, Boise did actually have trouble starting off. They went 2-10 in their first year of 1-A. Second year was a 5-6 record. They didn't start producing really good until Year #4, and by that time Boise State was dominating the WAC.

Appalachian has much more competition in the southeast than Boise did or does in WAC over here in the West.

Quaint town. You're lying about having gone to Boone. It's far from quaint. Small but not quaint.

Skjellyfetti
February 3rd, 2011, 02:32 AM
Who is this guy?

75 posts and 95% of them are bashing teams considering the move to FBS.

You're annoying as ****.

tractorapp
February 3rd, 2011, 07:06 AM
We actively recruit NC, SC, GA, FL, and to a lesser degree VA and TN. Occasionally we will pull a recruit from TX, NJ, PA, OH. That is a pretty good recruiting base. We don't go head to head with ACC and SEC schools on the 4 and 5 star kids, but we do compete with them now for some 2 and 3 stars and we get several of them.

Regarding fan support, we have over 80,000 living alumini, 16,000 current students and we're heading toward 20,000. Less than 2 hours away are the cities of Charlotte, Asheville, Winston-Salem, Bristol/Kingsort/Johnson City and Greensboro. Another hour away, add Greenville/Spartanburg and the triad. There is no reason why attendence and support can't match Conference USA schools like ECU and Marshall. A cometitive team and a quality game day environment will draw support.

AppAlum2003
February 3rd, 2011, 07:17 AM
We actively recruit NC, SC, GA, FL, and to a lesser degree VA and TN. Occasionally we will pull a recruit from TX, NJ, PA, OH. That is a pretty good recruiting base. We don't go head to head with ACC and SEC schools on the 4 and 5 star kids, but we do compete with them now for some 2 and 3 stars and we get several of them.

Regarding fan support, we have over 80,000 living alumini, 16,000 current students and we're heading toward 20,000. Less than 2 hours away are the cities of Charlotte, Asheville, Winston-Salem, Bristol/Kingsort/Johnson City and Greensboro. Another hour away, add Greenville/Spartanburg and the triad. There is no reason why attendence and support can't match Conference USA schools like ECU and Marshall. A cometitive team and a quality game day environment will draw support.

Just have to figure out that whole "Blowing Rock Bottleneck" situation, first. :)

Rekdiver
February 3rd, 2011, 10:19 AM
Listen, anyone who has a Bible verse as part of their signature.......is about as objective and informed as Keith Oberman.....

So It takes tall buildings to avoid "quaint".......? Peddle your bicycle while wearing your short sleeve shirt and black tie somewhere else.....

WUTNDITWAA
February 3rd, 2011, 10:21 AM
I love it when people who know nothing about Appalachian talk like they know Appalachian. We may go FBS, and we may not, but the decision will be made by people who are familiar with the school and its future. Keep talking TNboy, you prove to be more and more ignorant of our situation with each post.

Rekdiver
February 3rd, 2011, 10:23 AM
My bad..."Y" is just trying to complete his mission trip........I've got one for you...."Behold, I do not condemn you; go your ways and sin no more." sic leave us alone please?

WUTNDITWAA
February 3rd, 2011, 10:24 AM
Listen, anyone who has a Bible verse as part of their signature.......is about as objective and informed as Keith Oberman.....

So It takes tall buildings to avoid "quaint".......? Peddle your bicycle while wearing your short sleeve shirt and black tie somewhere else.....

I don't want to turn this into a battle of religious views, but Doctrine & Covenants isn't a book in The Bible. It's in the Book of Mormon.

Rekdiver
February 3rd, 2011, 10:45 AM
Yeah, should have looked first.........

Waco Kid
February 3rd, 2011, 10:51 AM
I am aware of that. College Football Datawarehouse is an excellent source. ASU's loss of two conference games was likely due to the fact that they DID take their FCS competition lightly or at least moreso than Michigan. Look, it happens. Do you really think Appalachian State would've beaten Michigan again in the same season? I don't think they would have. Appalachian State played one FBS team. Would Appalachian's momentum continued if they had to follow up Michigan with another AQ school like say USC, or Florida, or Oklahoma? And then what if Appalachian had to follow up that game with another FBS school? And then another?

I'm just saying, I do not see how Appalachian State can absolutely copy to a tee Boise State's success. I do not care about 2007. I do not care that they beat Michigan. Like you said. They also lost to a couple of FCS schools.

Furthermore, I have been to Boone, North Carolina, and I have been to Appalachian's campus. It's a nice, quaint town, but I don't see this school mowing over Utah or BYU or Fresno State in Year 1 of the membership at the FBS level. In fact, Boise did actually have trouble starting off. They went 2-10 in their first year of 1-A. Second year was a 5-6 record. They didn't start producing really good until Year #4, and by that time Boise State was dominating the WAC.

Appalachian has much more competition in the southeast than Boise did or does in WAC over here in the West.

I don't know a single fan at ASU who feels like we are going to move up and go to a bowl the first year. That goes for folks that want to move up or want to stay. Everyone knows there will be growing pains if we move. Even Boise had a several seasons with 2 or 3 wins before they got rolling.

bigCasu
February 3rd, 2011, 01:11 PM
It was the summer time at the end of June. It was quaint, and it was quiet. You aren't going to find tall buildings that touch the sky in Boone no matter how high up the Blue Ridge Mountains the town may be located.

Of course its quiet in Boone at the end of June. The first summer school session is over and people head to the beaches and lakes for the July 4th weekend. It is always quiet in Boone that time of year. Believe me, I have been to Boone. xnodx

App-a-latch-un
February 3rd, 2011, 05:26 PM
Just have to figure out that whole "Blowing Rock Bottleneck" situation, first. :)

They are moving ahead and widening 321 through Blowing rock to 4 lanes. Many houses and businesses along the route have sold and moved and are sitting there vacant.

As far as Boone being quiant, who cares if someone considers Boone quaint. Somebody who lives in any major city probably do consider Boone quaint, no subway, no major airport, locally owned and operated business, 1 movie theatre WITHOUT stadium seating.....yea it's quaint.

Reign of Terrier
February 3rd, 2011, 05:30 PM
I think App could eventually compete with anybody. I just don't think they are in a good enough media market to be invited to a big time conference

Skjellyfetti
February 3rd, 2011, 07:11 PM
If Appalachian State is to be extremely successful at the FBS level, they will have to go about it another way than how Boise State did it. The schools are not the same.

Again, Boise State is successful because of their coaching. There's nothing inherent about Boise as a school or town that makes it a great football program. It's the leadership. There's nothing inherent about Appalachian State as school or Boone as a town that makes us incapable of succeeding at the next level.

If we decide to move up, our success or failure will hinge on who we decide to hire to replace Jerry Moore.

Skjellyfetti
February 3rd, 2011, 07:18 PM
I just don't think they are in a good enough media market to be invited to a big time conference

Charlotte designated media market (DMA). 24th largest in the country. 1,147,910 homes in 2010. By far the largest media market in the country without an FBS program.

http://www.truckads.com/images/affiliate_map1.gif
http://www.truckads.com/Affiliate/images/charlotte_dma_map.gif
http://www.truckads.com/affiliate/Charlotte.htm#map
http://blog.nielsen.com/nielsenwire/wp-content/uploads/2009/08/2009-2010-dma-ranks.pdf

Appfan_in_CAAland
February 3rd, 2011, 08:06 PM
Charlotte designated media market (DMA). 24th largest in the country. 1,147,910 homes in 2010. By far the largest media market in the country without an FBS program.

http://blog.nielsen.com/nielsenwire/wp-content/uploads/2009/08/2009-2010-dma-ranks.pdf

Not to nit-pick because I think your point is correct, but what FBS school in in #20 Sacramento? I don't know, I think Charlotte is #2. Either way, any reasonably intelligent person familiar with western North Carolina should recognize App as a part of the Charlotte market. And a large market it is.

Reign of Terrier
February 3rd, 2011, 08:45 PM
I lived in that media market area, and App State just isn't a big turn on for people around there.

Skjellyfetti
February 3rd, 2011, 09:11 PM
I lived in that media market area, and App State just isn't a big turn on for people around there.

I don't think you understand how this all works.

The Big East wasn't interested in TCU because they're in DFW and therefore have a HUGE fanbase or HUGE interest in DFW. They're probably the 4th or 5th biggest draw in DFW (at best). The Big East wanted TCU because it opens up the DFW media market to Big East programming. When the Big East Network renews their contract and bargains with ESPN for the rights to broadcast their games... they now have an extra bargaining chip... "We just opened up the 5th largest media market. We want more money." It doesn't matter that TCU isn't anywhere close to the dominant team in DFW, they open up DFW to the Big East. The Big East doesn't get paid based on ratings. They get paid based on their negotiations with ESPN. Opening up a huge media market increases their contract with ESPN.

Any conference that adds Appalachian opens up the Charlotte media market to their conference. Adding the 24th largest media market would be enticing to Conference USA or other similar conferences to increase television revenue.

Now, the obvious thing here is UNC-Charlotte. If they get the jump on App, they could completely dismantle that whole argument. I think that's why there's so much focus being placed on App's future now. We're in the best position to move up we've ever been in, but the window is closing fast. If we decide not to and UNCC beats us to the punch, we'll probably never move up.

Reign of Terrier
February 3rd, 2011, 09:33 PM
I don't think you understand how this all works.

The Big East wasn't interested in TCU because they're in DFW and therefore have a HUGE fanbase or HUGE interest in DFW. They're probably the 4th or 5th biggest draw in DFW (at best). The Big East wanted TCU because it opens up the DFW media market to Big East programming. When the Big East Network renews their contract and bargains with ESPN for the rights to broadcast their games... they now have an extra bargaining chip... "We just opened up the 5th largest media market. We want more money." It doesn't matter that TCU isn't anywhere close to the dominant team in DFW, they open up DFW to the Big East. The Big East doesn't get paid based on ratings. They get paid based on their negotiations with ESPN. Opening up a huge media market increases their contract with ESPN.

Any conference that adds Appalachian opens up the Charlotte media market to their conference. Adding the 24th largest media market would be enticing to Conference USA or other similar conferences to increase television revenue.

Now, the obvious thing here is UNC-Charlotte. If they get the jump on App, they could completely dismantle that whole argument. I think that's why there's so much focus being placed on App's future now. We're in the best position to move up we've ever been in, but the window is closing fast. If we decide not to and UNCC beats us to the punch, we'll probably never move up.

I'm pretty well versed at how this stuff works, CUSA is the only shot App has presently as the ACC already has North Carolina locked up and The Big East would rather take Houston, Memphis, UCF, or maybe even SMU before App. The only way I could see App getting an invite from CUSA is if the Big East calls one of the above mentioned teams, but currently they don't need them as a "bargaining chip," when they have Houston, SMU (DFW?), UTEP (el Paso), Memphis, UCF (Orlando), and maybe even UAB (though I'm not sure how big the Birmingham market is). Despite the access to the large media markets these schools have, CUSA isn't really dominating the contracts or the ratings with ESPN or any network for that matter.xcoffeexxcoffeex

Skjellyfetti
February 3rd, 2011, 10:30 PM
CUSA is the only shot App has presently as the ACC already has North Carolina locked up and The Big East would rather take Houston, Memphis, UCF, or maybe even SMU before App.

And I agree with you... and I haven't read anyone saying differently. Nobody is saying App is heading to the ACC or Big East.

Despite the access to the large media markets these schools have, CUSA isn't really dominating the contracts or the ratings with ESPN or any network for that matter.

They aren't dominating any network... and I haven't claimed as much. They do have a very good deal with Fox Sports and adding the 24th largest media market would increase that contract. Do you disagree?

Redhawk2010
February 4th, 2011, 02:01 AM
The coaching is one piece of Boise's success, but to say that the coaching is the ONLY reason why Boise is successful is a bit much. As far as I know, they are the only former FCS school to win multiple conference titles and a national title at the previous level before stepping up. There is more to success than just coaching, though.

Yeah, it's the SMURF TURF! :)

Reign of Terrier
February 4th, 2011, 06:16 AM
And I agree with you... and I haven't read anyone saying differently. Nobody is saying App is heading to the ACC or Big East.

They aren't dominating any network... and I haven't claimed as much. They do have a very good deal with Fox Sports and adding the 24th largest media market would increase that contract. Do you disagree?

sure it would, but they already have bigger markets in conference, they should already have plenty of "bargaining chips" to have a good contract as is.

Skjellyfetti
February 4th, 2011, 12:12 PM
sure it would, but they already have bigger markets in conference, they should already have plenty of "bargaining chips" to have a good contract as is.

Ugh. You're just not getting it. Adding another large market allows them to expand their contract. I think the conventional wisdom is that expanding media presence to generate larger television contracts is a prime mover for conference shifts and expansion. No?

But, you're probably right. Conferences have no interest in expanding their media reach. xrolleyesx Oh wait. That would totally contradict your original point that started this back and forth. "I don't think they're in a big enough media market." xlolx So... which is it? Conferences want to expand their media reach... and App isn't in a big enough market? Or conferences are content with their media reach and have no interest in expanding? xeyebrowx

superman7515
February 4th, 2011, 01:23 PM
Marketing. Wonder how much money Taco Bell gives Boise State for naming rights to their basketball arena? Marketing is huge in success. Wasn't Appalachian State the school whose marketing campaign would never allow us to forget that they were "HOT! HOT! HOT!"?

But only 35% of the money that Taco Bell gives Boise State is real money. Taco Bell Lawsuit (http://consumerist.com/2011/01/lawsuit-says-taco-bell-ground-beef-is-really-just-taco-meat-filling.html) The rest is filler like isolated oat product, water, autolyzed yeast extract, and modified corn starch among others. xnodx

SoCon48
February 4th, 2011, 02:58 PM
Marketing. Wonder how much money Taco Bell gives Boise State for naming rights to their basketball arena? Marketing is huge in success. Wasn't Appalachian State the school whose marketing campaign would never allow us to forget that they were "HOT! HOT! HOT!"?

We turned out to be just that!

whoanellie
February 4th, 2011, 03:04 PM
"Hot-Hot-Hot"[ weren't too cool!!!
QUOTE=TennesseeBoyintheRockies;1610356]Marketing. Wonder how much money Taco Bell gives Boise State for naming rights to their basketball arena? Marketing is huge in success. Wasn't Appalachian State the school whose marketing campaign would never allow us to forget that they were "HOT! HOT! HOT!"?[/QUOTE]

Reign of Terrier
February 4th, 2011, 05:22 PM
Ugh. You're just not getting it. Adding another large market allows them to expand their contract. I think the conventional wisdom is that expanding media presence to generate larger television contracts is a prime mover for conference shifts and expansion. No?

But, you're probably right. Conferences have no interest in expanding their media reach. xrolleyesx Oh wait. That would totally contradict your original point that started this back and forth. "I don't think they're in a big enough media market." xlolx So... which is it? Conferences want to expand their media reach... and App isn't in a big enough market? Or conferences are content with their media reach and have no interest in expanding? xeyebrowx
Yes, conferences wish to expand their media market, but under your logic CUSA should have already had enough bargaining chips to dominate the ratings, seeing as they have such a large reach....and they don't, they have more money and media markets than the Mountain west and WAC but they don't have any big contract with ESPN or anybody so I see more WAC and MWC games here on the east coast, media markets may be a big thing for contract negotiations but if CUSA can't negotiate a good contract with ESPN when they have the 5th, 10th, and 19th media markets(that top 3 is better than the top 3 of the SEC). So yes, you corrected my incorrect statement that Boone has a bad media market, but really I don't see CUSA going after App State unless one of the listed schools leave.

I'm unconvinced that App's media market will give them much attention when the Big East (better options ahead of app) and ACC don't need them (they have NC locked down). CUSA would be the logical fit but I don't see it happening as most conferences are comfortable with 12 teams and CUSA hasn't really tried that hard to use their "bargaining chips" as you say to get a better deal. Not to mention there are already a bunch of ECU fans in the Charlotte media market. I lived in York county, there is no big deal about App state and with the bargaining chip option being refuted I don't see how it will happen without some other conference shift influencing it

SoCon48
February 5th, 2011, 08:13 PM
"Hot-Hot-Hot"[ weren't too cool!!!
QUOTE=TennesseeBoyintheRockies;1610356]Marketing. Wonder how much money Taco Bell gives Boise State for naming rights to their basketball arena? Marketing is huge in success. Wasn't Appalachian State the school whose marketing campaign would never allow us to forget that they were "HOT! HOT! HOT!"?[/QUOTE]

Actually kicking the FeeNicks asses every year is what makes us hard to forget. Plus 6 straight SoCon championships, 3 National Championships and a win over Michigan in front of 105K fans is what makes us memorable. What makes Elon hard to forget? Riddle on his *** 4 times and 3 interceptions? Riddle slapping a linemen up side the head? Thumping his chest at the injured App QB lying on the bench? Pick one.

Hot Hot Hot...is that all you got?

Skjellyfetti
February 5th, 2011, 08:38 PM
they have more money and media markets than the Mountain west and WAC but they don't have any big contract with ESPN or anybody so I see more WAC and MWC games here on the east coast, media markets may be a big thing for contract negotiations but if CUSA can't negotiate a good contract with ESPN when they have the 5th, 10th, and 19th media markets(that top 3 is better than the top 3 of the SEC).

xeyebrowx

Come on, YT. Do some research before you post. Conference USA DOES have bigger television contracts than either the Mountain West or the WAC. The WAC is the only one of the three conferences with a contract with ESPN... and their's is FAR lower than CUSA's or MWC's.

Conference USA = contract with Fox Sports and CBS Sports worth 14 million annually.
http://www.nola.com/tulane/index.ssf/2011/01/conference_usa_inks_a_new_tele.html

Mountain West = contract with Versus, CBS Sports, and Comcast Sports worth 12 million annually.
http://www.coloradoan.com/article/20110126/SPORTS/101260348/MWC-puts-expansion-on-hold-

WAC = contract with ESPN worth 4.5 million annually.
http://www.staradvertiser.com/news/20100612_WAC_cracked.html

Reign of Terrier
February 5th, 2011, 10:01 PM
xeyebrowx

Come on, YT. Do some research before you post. Conference USA DOES have bigger television contracts than either the Mountain West or the WAC. The WAC is the only one of the three conferences with a contract with ESPN... and their's is FAR lower than CUSA's or MWC's.

Conference USA = contract with Fox Sports and CBS Sports worth 14 million annually.
http://www.nola.com/tulane/index.ssf/2011/01/conference_usa_inks_a_new_tele.html

Mountain West = contract with Versus, CBS Sports, and Comcast Sports worth 12 million annually.
http://www.coloradoan.com/article/20110126/SPORTS/101260348/MWC-puts-expansion-on-hold-

WAC = contract with ESPN worth 4.5 million annually.
http://www.staradvertiser.com/news/20100612_WAC_cracked.html

and?

Skjellyfetti
February 16th, 2011, 01:16 PM
2nd feasibility committee meeting held last Monday:

Appalachian State University’s athletics feasibility study committee convened for the second time on Monday, Feb. 14 at the Appalachian Athletics Center.

During Monday’s meeting, committee members received reports from three forums held with select focus groups on Friday, Feb. 11. The initial focus groups, which met with representatives from Collegiate Consulting LLC and ASU athletics, were comprised of campus and community leaders, student leaders and the Yosef Club Advisory Board.

The purpose of forming focus groups is to inform key ASU athletics stakeholders about the data being collected and receive feedback from those constituents to share with the committee. Additional focus groups will be assembled as the study moves forward in the coming months.

Subcommittees also met on Monday and shared updates with the entire committee. Five subcommittees have been formed to delve deeper into the issues most critical to the athletics feasibility study — revenue, expenses, facilities, NCAA matters and effects and desires of the ASU family.

“Monday’s meeting was a productive one and I feel like we are making great progress in collecting and analyzing data to make the best recommendation possible to Chancellor Peacock,” committee co-chairman G.A. Sywassink said.

“It was especially valuable to hear reports from the focus groups and receive their feedback,” Sywassink continued. “A primary concern of members of the focus groups was the notion that financial investments in athletics can negatively affect the University as a whole. No matter what the final recommendation of this committee is, it is critical that stakeholders understand that athletics receives no state funding. We look forward to hearing reports from additional focus groups in the future and continue to address the concerns of the Appalachian family during this critical junction in the history of the University.”

Appalachian’s athletics feasibility study committee convened for the first time on January 18 and is charged with analyzing data collected by Collegiate Consulting LLC (formerly NACDA Consulting), developing a final report based on the analysis and making a recommendation to ASU Chancellor Dr. Kenneth E. Peacock. The recommendation is expected to be presented to Chancellor Peacock this summer. The Chancellor will then make his own recommendation to ASU’s Board of Trustees, who must approve any change in Appalachian’s conference or football subdivision affiliations.

A member of NCAA Division I since 1971, the Mountaineers currently participate the Southern Conference. In football, ASU and the SoCon compete in the NCAA Division I Football Championship Subdivision (FCS — formerly Division I-AA).

The feasibility study committee is co-chaired by Sywassink, Chairman and retired CEO of Standard Holding Corporation, and Larry Stone, President and COO of Lowe’s Corporation. Other members include John Blackburn (President, Linville Resorts, Inc.), Mark Harrill (President, Foscoe Companies), Jay Howard (President, JHE Production Group), Derek Jenkins (Senior Vice President, Target Stores), Doug Johnson (CEO, Blue Ridge Electric Membership Corporation), Jeffrey A. Shepard (Retired CEO, Footstar), Tommy Sofield (CEO, U.S. Buildings) and Brad Wilson (CEO, Blue Cross & Blue Shield of North Carolina).
http://www.goasu.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_LANG=C&ATCLID=205097150&DB_OEM_ID=21500

AppMan
February 18th, 2011, 07:43 AM

Mostly due to who we play.

OL FU
February 18th, 2011, 08:01 AM
Mostly due to who we play.

You guys left yet?

Saint3333
February 18th, 2011, 08:10 AM

That's interesting, so do I, and I think outside of ACC teams ASU gets as much air time as anyone. Just this morning on 730 AM in Charlotte they discussed ASU's potential move to the FBS for about 20 minutes.

AppMan
February 19th, 2011, 05:39 AM
You guys left yet?

Probably another year or two before we can make a complete transition. I'd think the rest of the SoCon should be happy we're leaving. You guys will have a shot at the championship again! :>)

tarmac
February 19th, 2011, 06:41 AM
http://www2.journalnow.com/sports/2011/feb/17/wssport02-asus-committee-hopes-to-make-recommendat-ar-790615/

sportssports
hopes to make recommendation in May
By Tommy Bowman
Published: February 17, 2011
» 0 Comments | Post a Comment
Appalachian State's feasibility-study committee, exploring the possibility of having the football program move from the championship to the bowl subdivision, is moving toward a recommendation, with a target date in May.

Co-chairman G.A. Sywassink said that the 10-member committee has continued to evaluate information from a consulting group about the feasibility of a move and from five sub-committees formed to explore specific components. The committee also has had three forums with campus and community representatives to answer questions and provide information about the study.

Sywassink said that the committee, which is scheduled to meet again in about a month, will continue working toward a May date to make its recommendation to Chancellor Ken Peacock, who will then make his recommendation to ASU's board of trustees, probably in June.

Sywassink, chairman and retired chief executive officer of Standard Holding Corporation, said that the committee has not decided whether to recommend a move to the higher-profile FBS, which allows 85 scholarships, compared to 63 in the FCS.

"And the decision that is to be made has to be the best one for the strategic direction of the university for many years to come and has to satisfy academics and athletics as well," Sywassink said.

He said that committee members talked recently with ASU's football staff.

"We have made the determination in talking to some of the football people, that they feel that if we did this, and if we had the scholarships available and the money available, that we could in fact compete at a level that our people would accept, that our fans would accept," Sywassink said.

"And now we have to determine if that's the right thing to do for Appalachian State and, if so, is everything in place for us to do that and is the timing right."

Charlie Cobb, ASU's athletics director, said that the purpose of the consulting group and study committee is to determine if a move is in ASU's best interest.

"I think the great thing is that one of the first things we've learned in this process is it's not a matter of could we make the move — because financially we can make the move — the question is should we make the move?" Cobb said.

Sywassink said: "We're still trying to verify revenue numbers, but it appears as if it is possible, and we just have to make sure that it is the right thing for the university.

"We have to make sure that we are making a decision that is good for the university 10 and 20 years out, not just next year or two years from now, not just the short term. Part of that is we have to make some assumption of what we think the configuration of the NCAA will look like in the next five, 15, 20 years."

Cobb said it's imperative to reach a conclusion so that ASU will be in position if an opportunity arises in a bowl-division conference. He said he wants to know conclusively whether a move to the FBS would be a sound decision, and to have that question answered first in order to explore FBS options.

If the decision is to move, the next question is to which conference would ASU go?

Cobb said that question hasn't been answered, and that no overtures to or from any conferences have been made.

Sywassink said that the study committee is exploring possible FBS conference options in the event that the recommendation is for ASU to move to the bowl division.

"We are doing some very preliminary research and the consultant has done some preliminary research," he said.

"First of all, we would have to have an invitation. If we were to get an invitation, we would have to make sure that invitation would make sense for us as far as allowing us future rivalries to build, and that it makes geographic sense."

GaSouthern
February 19th, 2011, 12:53 PM
GSU fans have long rumored that they would join ASU in the jump to FBS and it looks like it will NOT happen. This is extremely sad news for me. I really don't want to see the rivalry broken.

Mikeyosef
February 19th, 2011, 05:25 PM
I agree. I hate the thought of not being able to play GS. You guys need to get on the stick and make the jump as well......assuming ASU makes the move. Not a done deal as much as most seem to think. Also, I don't think we need to make the jump before you guys or some other strong SOCON team wins the conference championship. App winning the conference this coming year is definitely not a foregone conclusion.

See you in the Fall at the Rock.....it's going to be a revenge cage match buddy!

Accelerati Incredibilus
February 19th, 2011, 08:37 PM
There are none so blind as those who will not see. Too many positive vibes out there. Nothing negative being said by anyone. It's a done deal.

UNH Fanboi
February 20th, 2011, 07:34 AM
There are none so blind as those who will not see. Too many positive vibes out there. Nothing negative being said by anyone. It's a done deal.

It seems like there are a lot of positive vibes from ASU, but they need an invite before this is a done deal.

GreatAppSt
February 20th, 2011, 07:52 AM

xsmiley_wix Ssssh

Accelerati Incredibilus
February 20th, 2011, 08:05 AM
It seems like there are a lot of positive vibes from ASU, but they need an invite before this is a done deal.

Pay attention. It IS a done deal.

Cocky
February 20th, 2011, 09:42 AM
MoSt would be surprised at the conference options available to FCS moveups. ASU like most others truly looking to move up will have options.

Waco Kid
February 21st, 2011, 11:02 AM

Reports from two sources this morning said Charlie Cobb is meeting with CUSA officials in Texas. Confirms what I was told last week about an upcoming meeting for Cobb. Yea nothing going on here, move along....

ASUMountaineer
February 23rd, 2011, 09:16 AM
Reports from two sources this morning said Charlie Cobb is meeting with CUSA officials in Texas. Confirms what I was told last week about an upcoming meeting for Cobb. Yea nothing going on here, move along....

This has been one of the more interesting rumors as it has actually been questioned. According to the MMB, some say it is completely false. It does seem there is some smoke with the ASU to CUSA rumors, time will tell. My thoughts are it shaking down something like this (assuming the rumors are true):

CUSA rumors:

May - ASU announces it can and should move up to FBS. ASU wil hold a joint press-conference with CUSA to announce it will be moving into CUSA.
June 1 - files with NCAA to move up and will begin play in CUSA in 2013.

Rekdiver
February 23rd, 2011, 11:23 AM
It would be incredible to renew rivalries with ECU and Marshall. It's going to hurt for a while too. Looking at some lackluster seasons untill we get 3 classes of new recruits in and we are stareing at a coaching transition in the near future. Jerry Moore belongs in the Hall of Fame.

Saint3333
February 23rd, 2011, 12:53 PM
I think ASU can compete with CUSA teams (win 5 games a year) with the current talent level, we just need to add depth with the additional 22 scholarships.

Now we just need a patient fanbase.

The Eagle's Cliff
February 23rd, 2011, 01:10 PM

It'll be interesting to see how the "new" (2005-) App fans might respond to a few mediocre seasons. I bet they'll be more tolerant in CUSA than they would be if it happened in the SoCon.

ElonPride
February 23rd, 2011, 01:26 PM
I think ASU can compete with CUSA teams (win 5 games a year) with the current talent level, we just need to add depth with the additional 22 scholarships.

No doubt about that one......

How do you think your other programs will fair in CUSA?

I'm a baseball fan, and even though CUSA was only 4 places higher in the RPI (SoCon 9th, CUSA 4th), the talent level with some of those teams generally is killer. Traditionally speaking, I think that only GSU, WCU, Elon, El Cid and CoC could be able to keep up on a consistent basis playing the likes of ECU, Southern Miss & Rice. Over the past 15 years, Rice's worst record occurred last season at 40-23.....not too mention CWS appearances and a national title during that span.

I'm not trying to stir the pot here.....just curious.

appstate38
February 23rd, 2011, 02:04 PM
It'll be interesting to see how the "new" (2005-) App fans might respond to a few mediocre seasons. I bet they'll be more tolerant in CUSA than they would be if it happened in the SoCon.

That is my biggest concern, especially when I see some of our fans leaving at halftime of games instead of staying & supporting the team. Our fans are way too fickle to be as patient as necessary to complete this transition. IMO

Waco Kid
February 23rd, 2011, 03:01 PM
That is my biggest concern, especially when I see some of our fans leaving at halftime of games instead of staying & supporting the team. Our fans are way too fickle to be as patient as necessary to complete this transition. IMO

Hopefully if we were playing teams like ECU, Marshall, USM, and Memphis our fans would be more excited about the game. I've heard students say they left early becuase they knew we were going to win, and that the games aren't interesting since we usually win.

Saint3333
February 23rd, 2011, 03:02 PM
No doubt about that one......

How do you think your other programs will fair in CUSA?

I'm a baseball fan, and even though CUSA was only 4 places higher in the RPI (SoCon 9th, CUSA 4th), the talent level with some of those teams generally is killer. Traditionally speaking, I think that only GSU, WCU, Elon, El Cid and CoC could be able to keep up on a consistent basis playing the likes of ECU, Southern Miss & Rice. Over the past 15 years, Rice's worst record occurred last season at 40-23.....not too mention CWS appearances and a national title during that span.

I'm not trying to stir the pot here.....just curious.

With Pollard as the coach I think ASU would likely finish about in CUSA about were it does in the SoCon, in the middle. ASU had an RPI of 56 last year in baseball which I believe would have been 3rd.

For basketball last year's RPI would have put ASU 8th in CUSA with an RPI of 108, which isn't too bad. For the current year ASU would have finished 10th in bball with an RPI of 192. The caliber of player ASU will get in basketball would actually be the biggest jump of any sport SoCon to CUSA. I'd say after two years ASU could be in the top half and have an RPI under 100.

ASU's Women's basketball would likely be 2nd based on results this year.

ASU will be able to compete favorably in T&F as well. Soccer would be about the same as the SoCon is a pretty good soccer conference. The SoCon from an olympic sports standpoint is solid, it is just football and basketball where they are weaker compared to FBS conferences.

The only areas where I see ASU really struggling would be golf and tennis, which we struggle with now in the SoCon.

ElonPride
February 23rd, 2011, 03:33 PM
ASU had an RPI of 56 last year in baseball which I believe would have been 3rd.

Actually, that's a little misleading. While App did go 38-18 on the season and finished with a strong RPI, BUT half of the wins came against teams 200+ and only 1 win came against the top 50....one huge reason why App didn't make the regionals via an at large bid. Conversely, 25% of CoC's and Elon's wins came against the the top 50 with CoC at 12-8 and Elon at 10-10. CUSA didn't have a single team finish below 119 in the RPI, and this was seemingly an off year for the conference. Your record versus the top 100 was 7-14-1.

I do think TF will fair well...and both basketball teams will grow tremendously. Heck Elon is one of the better teams in the SoCon in women's b-ball and App took us to the house by 33 in the 6th game of the season. Looking at your talent in men's basketball, you should seemingly be better. I'm not sure that Jason Capel is the right man to have at the helm, but then again, this is his first year.

Again, none of this is just meant to be smack, just looking for opinions!

Best of luck in the move!

Skjellyfetti
February 23rd, 2011, 07:46 PM
There were definitely higher expectations for this year in men's basketball... but, Butt's being out for the year really, really hurt. We barely have any inside game whatsoever. Most of the year we've had to play 4 guards. I give Capel a pass.

AppMan
February 23rd, 2011, 09:03 PM
Actually, that's a little misleading. While App did go 38-18 on the season and finished with a strong RPI, BUT half of the wins came against teams 200+ and only 1 win came against the top 50....one huge reason why App didn't make the regionals via an at large bid. Conversely, 25% of CoC's and Elon's wins came against the the top 50 with CoC at 12-8 and Elon at 10-10. CUSA didn't have a single team finish below 119 in the RPI, and this was seemingly an off year for the conference. Your record versus the top 100 was 7-14-1.

I do think TF will fair well...and both basketball teams will grow tremendously. Heck Elon is one of the better teams in the SoCon in women's b-ball and App took us to the house by 33 in the 6th game of the season. Looking at your talent in men's basketball, you should seemingly be better. I'm not sure that Jason Capel is the right man to have at the helm, but then again, this is his first year.

Again, none of this is just meant to be smack, just looking for opinions!

Best of luck in the move!

The new stadium, going into it's 3rd season, is starting to pay off in recruiting. This year will be ASU's most talented team yet under Chris Pollard and a move to CUSA would open doors to more highly rated players. Chris has doen a masterful job and able to lure players away from some highly rated programs the past two years. His 2011 class will be outstanding if the draft doesn't hit it too hard.

Appfan_in_CAAland
February 23rd, 2011, 09:27 PM
The only areas where I see ASU really struggling would be golf and tennis, which we struggle with now in the SoCon.

As those two men's team will die to pay for the additional football schollies, how they would fair is a moot point.

ElonPride
February 24th, 2011, 09:12 AM
His 2011 class will be outstanding if the draft doesn't hit it too hard.

That's the toughest part recruiting college baseball.......with a draft of dozens of rounds, you'd better expect some of your recruits will attempt to jump college all together. Some coaches in the SoCon have been able to work around this very well.

I will say that your baseball team has made tremendous strides over the past 5 years, but don't think that you'll turn into an ECU overnight in CUSA! It takes quite some time to build a regional power.

Top 5 programs in NC since 2000:

1. North Carolina 501-212-1
2. East Carolina 453-234-2
3. North Carolina State 401-268
4. Elon 396-259-2
5. UNC Wilmington 369-229-1

Do you have a link to pics of your new baseball stadium?

superman7515
February 24th, 2011, 09:50 AM

4. Elon 396-259-2

So actually it should be:

1. North Carolina 501-212-1 .702
2. East Carolina 453-234-2 .659
3. UNC Wilmington 369-229-1 .617
4. Elon 396-259-2 .604
5. North Carolina State 401-268 .599

91Niner
February 24th, 2011, 12:03 PM
That's the toughest part recruiting college baseball.......with a draft of dozens of rounds, you'd better expect some of your recruits will attempt to jump college all together. Some coaches in the SoCon have been able to work around this very well.

I will say that your baseball team has made tremendous strides over the past 5 years, but don't think that you'll turn into an ECU overnight in CUSA! It takes quite some time to build a regional power.

4. Elon 396-259-2

Do you have a link to pics of your new baseball stadium?

Charlotte has to be close to those records. If you go back only 5 years I bet Charlotte is top 5 (winning pct.) in the state.

Edit: Charlotte 346-261 since 2000......6th best in NC I guess.
Charlotte 199-87 last 5 years.....not sure, but has to be top 5.

ElonPride
February 24th, 2011, 04:36 PM

You don't think simply playing bigger names at the Rock would help stop that hemorrhage?

If I still lived in the Triad, I would make it over to games like App/ECU, App/Southern Miss & App/Houston.....and I'm pretty sure that would bring out plenty in the community.

ChattTown Mountaineer
February 24th, 2011, 11:00 PM
Hopefully if we were playing teams like ECU, Marshall, USM, and Memphis our fans would be more excited about the game. I've heard students say they left early becuase they knew we were going to win, and that the games aren't interesting since we usually win.

This issue's been discussed for a while around here, but it's almost a tradition. Leaving after halftime was the norm among students when I was at App in the 90s. Not saying it's a good tradition. Just sayin. I left sometimes because I was a poor football fan at the time, not because of the team.

I'm not pumped about App possibly leaving the SoCon. I love my SoCon. I grew up in an ACC where half the schools were less than two hours from my house. I struggle to be enthusiastic with the conference sprawl that's become common today. I know it's the way of the NCAA today, but I just want to whine about it a little. Waaaahhh. Waaaaahhh.

superman7515
February 25th, 2011, 01:19 PM
So App leaves and the SoCon adds a school. Who do they add? If they add a Big South school, then the Big South is teetering on the edge with just enough for a conference and Stony Brook always a risk to leave, not to mention f the PFL is still fighting for an AQ...

Thoughts?

whoanellie
February 25th, 2011, 02:07 PM
So App leaves and the SoCon adds a school. Who do they add? If they add a Big South school, then the Big South is teetering on the edge with just enough for a conference and Stony Brook always a risk to leave, not to mention f the PFL is still fighting for an AQ...

Thoughts? this deserves is an entirely new thread...

Sly Fox
February 25th, 2011, 02:09 PM
The Big South will be fine if CCU bolts. Now if both the Flames & Chants are gone it could get interesting.

asucrutch23
February 25th, 2011, 02:44 PM

Thoughts?

Will Kennesaw State's program be ready by 2013? Other than raiding the Big South, that's an option that comes to mind. If recent history tells us anything about what type of school the SoCon likes to add, it'll be Presbyterian, but if they want to take a public I like Kennesaw. The other question is does the SoCon want a startup?

superman7515
February 25th, 2011, 04:30 PM
The Big South will be fine if CCU bolts. Now if both the Flames & Chants are gone it could get interesting.

I don't think they would be fine. They already complain about the difficulties in scheduling because of having such a small conference. Add to that the fact if they fall below 6 they won't have an AQ and Stony Brook is certainly an outlier for the rest of the conference and I would think the situation would be anything but stable.

superman7515
February 25th, 2011, 04:33 PM
Will Kennesaw State's program be ready by 2013? Other than raiding the Big South, that's an option that comes to mind. If recent history tells us anything about what type of school the SoCon likes to add, it'll be Presbyterian, but if they want to take a public I like Kennesaw. The other question is does the SoCon want a startup?

I don't believe Kennesaw is supposed to start until 2014 and then you've got two seasons a-la Old Dominion and Georgia State before they would actually join up in conference play.

Umpire
February 25th, 2011, 06:37 PM
Alright. Deleted all the posts that delved off into comparing baseball records which denigrated into smack. Try to stay on topic.

Skjellyfetti
February 25th, 2011, 06:50 PM
OUR CYCLING TEAM IS BETTER THAN YOURS

Mr. C
February 25th, 2011, 08:33 PM
OUR CYCLING TEAM IS BETTER THAN YOURS

I crossed paths with a female member of the Mountaineer equestrian team today at the mall.

ElonPride
February 25th, 2011, 08:36 PM
Alright. Deleted all the posts that delved off into comparing baseball records which denigrated into smack. Try to stay on topic.

That was my bad.....my apologies.

eaglesrthe1
February 26th, 2011, 07:42 PM
All of these ads that hijack your computer screen are certainly off topic. Why not delete those? I can understand clickable adds, but the popups suck bigtime.xnonono2x

AGS OWNER
February 26th, 2011, 08:51 PM
All of these ads that hijack your computer screen are certainly off topic. Why not delete those? I can understand clickable adds, but the popups suck bigtime.xnonono2x

Gotta pay the bills dude, At least I don't constantly schlep off the membership for donations.xnottalkingx

Cocky
February 26th, 2011, 10:55 PM
Just please do the same for all threads that get hijacked.

appstatejwh
May 25th, 2011, 11:22 AM

Coming from someone who has worked in Appalachians athletics department. They are taking into consideration a couple key things

1. How they can continue earning revenue?
- They make a good amount of money just from being in the FCS. They are looking into improving the stadium even more seating wise and are replacing the turf and the track.
2. Can they work to attract a larger market of fans?
- For example, Marshall made the jump up and was doing horrible in attendance, they were televising games with less than 400 people in their stadium which is somewhat embarrassing.
3. They are also very concerned with travel expenses which would be considerably higher if they were to enter into a conference such as C-USA or WAC.

I think the right think to do is to make the move up. They clearly aren't being challenged by SOCON teams. The move up would put them in a place to compete and be challenged. The problem is that the Chancellor of the school has openly expressed how he is not for jumping up which would change the nature of Appalachian.

I'm looking forward to hearing what the board has to say.....

appstatejwh
May 25th, 2011, 11:28 AM
The major airline hub is a huge factor. As well as the interstate issue. This does make moving to a bigger market difficult when so isoloated

tarmac
May 25th, 2011, 11:52 AM
"The problem is that the Chancellor of the school has openly expressed how he is not for jumping up which would change the nature of Appalachian."

really, I have never heard that.

appstatejwh
May 25th, 2011, 01:04 PM
Maybe I exaggerated that a bit, however the chancellor has been quite adamant about how Appalachian is a close knit "family" so to speak and has expressed concern over how the school would change if we were to grow into a bigger school (which would come with going D-1). He has expressed concerns over the rising cost to the student population and being able to accomodate these students amongst the campus. I have been told that he is not for going D-1 by people in the athletics department because of the growth that would be associated with it.

Sorry to jump the gun on that last post!

Appattk
May 25th, 2011, 01:07 PM
"The problem is that the Chancellor of the school has openly expressed how he is not for jumping up which would change the nature of Appalachian."

Cobb has historically been on the fence about this issue..... He's a smart guy.. he'll wait to hear from his advisors, that way he can take the credit when it works, and put the blame on others if it fails! :)

tarmac
May 25th, 2011, 01:50 PM
news flash we already D1

StorminASU
May 25th, 2011, 02:16 PM
news flash we already D1

I was waiting on that post. You'd think he would have said that since we're on an FCS forum, but sadly this is what the majority of people think about FCS football (not saying he does, I'm sure it was an oversight).

appstatejwh
May 25th, 2011, 02:39 PM
news flash we already D1

My mistake, I am perfectly aware that we are DI. Should have specified.

appstatejwh
May 25th, 2011, 02:42 PM
True, I'm sure the athletic consulting firm will be giving us concrete results and recommendations. I think everyone is excited to see their findings. Ultimately the decision will be passed down to Chancellor Peacock as well as the Alumni Advisory board and they will have the ultimate say.

appstatejwh
May 25th, 2011, 04:12 PM
This has been one of the more interesting rumors as it has actually been questioned. According to the MMB, some say it is completely false. It does seem there is some smoke with the ASU to CUSA rumors, time will tell. My thoughts are it shaking down something like this (assuming the rumors are true):

CUSA rumors:

May - ASU announces it can and should move up to FBS. ASU wil hold a joint press-conference with CUSA to announce it will be moving into CUSA.
June 1 - files with NCAA to move up and will begin play in CUSA in 2013.

Has anyone been able to confirm this meeting with Cobb and CUSA officials? Are they obligated to make a decision even by June 1st? I feel like they are stalling waiting to hear back from conference's as to who would like to have them join. I think this process might last a bit longer than June.

State Line Liquors
May 25th, 2011, 04:13 PM
I'm sure the athletic consulting firm will be giving us concrete results and recommendations.

How sure are you about the 'concrete-ness'?

SoCon48
May 26th, 2011, 11:25 PM
How sure are you about the 'concrete-ness'?

EXACTLY.

ASUMountaineer
May 27th, 2011, 08:06 AM
Has anyone been able to confirm this meeting with Cobb and CUSA officials? Are they obligated to make a decision even by June 1st? I feel like they are stalling waiting to hear back from conference's as to who would like to have them join. I think this process might last a bit longer than June.

Yeah, my post you're quoting was written on February 23rd. The CUSA rumors have died down since then when they were rampant.

I don't think it's ever been confirmed (possible denied) that Cobb met with CUSA officials. ASU would only be obligated to make a decision by June 1st if it planned to start the transition this year. However, it's clear that it will go past June. I think you're right in that they're waiting to get an invite from a conference...and the Big East possibly putting off expansion could be a big factor in our "taking more time" to make a decision. I still believe the ASU administration's thinking is "CUSA or bust," and with no movement the CUSA doesn't need to expand right away. Just my thoughts, I have no "inside sources."

AppMan
May 27th, 2011, 08:38 AM
Maybe I exaggerated that a bit, however the chancellor has been quite adamant about how Appalachian is a close knit "family" so to speak and has expressed concern over how the school would change if we were to grow into a bigger school (which would come with going D-1). He has expressed concerns over the rising cost to the student population and being able to accomodate these students amongst the campus. I have been told that he is not for going D-1 by people in the athletics department because of the growth that would be associated with it.

Sorry to jump the gun on that last post!

If those people actually believe that, it may be more wishful thinking than anything else. After the 2nd NC I asked Ken ... err Chancellor Peacock, what he wanted for ASU's football future and his reply was quick and direct. "I'd like to see us play in the Sugar Bowl one day." I know the man pretty well and I can tell you he was dead serious. Ken Peacock is a visionary and a man who has big dreams for ASU academically and athletically. Now that the nursing school up and running, don't be shocked to see him make a run at a med school in the near future. There isn't one west of I-77.

ninerID
May 27th, 2011, 09:19 AM
Now that the nursing school up and running, don't be shocked to see him make a run at a med school in the near future. There isn't one west of I-77.
The "mothership" will never allow it.

Ask Charlotte.

49RFootballNow
May 27th, 2011, 04:24 PM
The "mothership" will never allow it.

Ask Charlotte.

Yeah, that App St med school isn't happening in our lifetimes.

http://blogs.newsobserver.com/campusnotes/unc-med-school-expanding-into-charlotte-asheville

Welcome to the UNC System. 15 schools obeying the graduates of just 1.xthumbsdownx

SoCon48
May 28th, 2011, 09:11 PM
With several large hospitals nearby, UNCC would be the next likely candidate.

SoCon48
May 28th, 2011, 09:14 PM
If those people actually believe that, it may be more wishful thinking than anything else. After the 2nd NC I asked Ken ... err Chancellor Peacock, what he wanted for ASU's football future and his reply was quick and direct. "I'd like to see us play in the Sugar Bowl one day." I know the man pretty well and I can tell you he was dead serious. Ken Peacock is a visionary and a man who has big dreams for ASU academically and athletically. Now that the nursing school up and running, don't be shocked to see him make a run at a med school in the near future. There isn't one west of I-77.

"Now that the nursing school up and running, don't be shocked to see him make a run at a med school in the near future. There isn't one west of I-77."

1. WCU has had a nursing school for many years before us and they don't have one yet.
2. Too, we don't have a large hospital nearby.
3. UNC-C has several large hospitals and a metro area. They would be next ahead of us.

SoCon48
May 28th, 2011, 09:15 PM
Yeah, that App St med school isn't happening in our lifetimes.

http://blogs.newsobserver.com/campusnotes/unc-med-school-expanding-into-charlotte-asheville

Welcome to the UNC System. 15 schools obeying the graduates of just 1.xthumbsdownx

With several large hospitals nearby, UNCC would be the next likely candidate

WUTNDITWAA
May 28th, 2011, 11:02 PM
Why did all three of your posts say the same thing?

AlphaSigMD
May 28th, 2011, 11:40 PM
Yeah, a medical school at ASU is pipe dream right now.

I have never seen a University (or even a University System) that has such a fragile ego (and a disproportionally inflated sense of self-worth) as the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill.

Even in light of a crippling MD shortage in the U.S. right now, North Carolina refuses to open additional medical schools because it would be a blow to the collective ego of UNC, Duke and Wake. ECU had to fight like hell 30 years ago to get their school.

North Carolina only has spots for about 510 total med students a year(Duke/Wake/UNC/ECU). Ohio has 7 medical schools and roughly 1200 per year.

As a result, North Carolina is arguably the most difficult state in the country in which to gain admission to medical school.

UNC's solution to the shortage is to farm out satellite locations under the UNC banner with 10 or 12 students apiece. This will add to their prestige, but ultimately deprive the state of the adequate number of physicians as we advance further into the 21st century.

The only way the Boone (or even Charlotte) gets a medical school if an uber-rich philanthropist decides to open one privately.

SoCon48
May 29th, 2011, 10:20 AM
Why did all three of your posts say the same thing?
Because I was posting to 3 diff posters.

SoCon48
May 29th, 2011, 10:22 AM

I have never seen a University (or even a University System) that has such a fragile ego (and a disproportionally inflated sense of self-worth) as the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill.

Even in light of a crippling MD shortage in the U.S. right now, North Carolina refuses to open additional medical schools because it would be a blow to the collective ego of UNC, Duke and Wake. ECU had to fight like hell 30 years ago to get their school.

North Carolina only has spots for about 510 total med students a year(Duke/Wake/UNC/ECU). Ohio has 7 medical schools and roughly 1200 per year.

As a result, North Carolina is arguably the most difficult state in the country in which to gain admission to medical school.

UNC's solution to the shortage is to farm out satellite locations under the UNC banner with 10 or 12 students apiece. This will add to their prestige, but ultimately deprive the state of the adequate number of physicians as we advance further into the 21st century.

The only way the Boone (or even Charlotte) gets a medical school if an uber-rich philanthropist decides to open one privately.

FTR. Duke and Wake have had medical schools much longer than 30 years.

Accelerati Incredibilus
May 29th, 2011, 07:36 PM
Chancellor Peacock has accomplished a lot of incredible things since he has been at the helm. ASU is the largest institution in the unc system which does not offer a professional degree like medicine, architecture, engineering, ect. I realize Charlotte has a lot of big hospitals, but the formation of the Appalachian Regional Healthcare Syatem (Watauga Medical Center, Blowing Rock Hospital and Cannon Hospital in Banner Elk) was a first step. The second step came with little fanfare this past March when Wake Forest School of Medicine entered into a collaboration with Appalachian's new College of Health Sciences. The interesting thing is WFSM contacted ASU about the partnership. This is a huge step for the ASU program which is in its infancy.

3/25/2011
WINSTON-SALEM, N.C. – March 25, 2011 – The Wake Forest School of Medicine (WFSM) announces collaboration with Appalachian State University's College of Health Sciences.

The intention of this collaboration is to provide students with an opportunity to have learning experiences outside the traditional classroom environment through high-tech laboratories, clinical sites, internships, research with faculty and study abroad programs.

This represents a complimentary and synergistic relationship between the School of Medicine and the College of Health Sciences. “We each offer unique health professional training programs that together represent the full spectrum of health care," said Reamer Bushardt, Pharm.D., PA-C, professor and chair of Physician Assistant Studies at Wake Forest School of Medicine.

“This partnership will provide learning experiences from both universities and provide our graduates a unique competitive advantage. Public and private partnerships such as this are key to our college advancing our mission to enhance the health and quality of life of North Carolina citizens and to meet the health care needs of our region,” said Fred Whitt, Ph.D., founding dean of Appalachian’s College of Health Sciences.

Some of the early steps in this collaboration will be focused on educational efforts with attention to projects that will increase access to care for members of our community, said Bushardt.

WFSM currently enrolls 477 medical students, 323 graduate students, 106 PA students, 107 allied health students and 45 nurse anesthesia students. Appalachian's new College of Health Sciences currently offers 16 majors, including; nursing, social work, communication sciences, nutrition, exercise science and health care management.

boonegoon
May 30th, 2011, 10:22 AM
"Now that the nursing school up and running, don't be shocked to see him make a run at a med school in the near future. There isn't one west of I-77."

1. WCU has had a nursing school for many years before us and they don't have one yet.
2. Too, we don't have a large hospital nearby.
3. UNC-C has several large hospitals and a metro area. They would be next ahead of us.

There is one west of I 77. It's called East Tennessee State University. If you live in a border county you can get in-state tuition.

Milktruck74
May 30th, 2011, 11:14 AM
I could see a Doctor of Osteopathy school. DO schools are gaining popularity since they don't take near the resources to get up and running as a MD school. In the past DOs were considered lesser doctors, kind of a glorified APRN or PA, but now they are specializing. I see DO, cardiologist, DO surgeons, I even know a Neuro Surgeon that is a DO. Just because they don't meet MD criteria, doesn't rule out a "MED School".

appstatejwh
May 30th, 2011, 11:18 AM
Does Appalachian have to make a decision by June 1st in order to go FBS by the 2013 season? I want to hear more results from them. They have been in the research process for a while. Would have thought that they would had more information for media and us die hard fans........

SoCon48
May 30th, 2011, 12:50 PM
There is one west of I 77. It's called East Tennessee State University. If you live in a border county you can get in-state tuition.

I don't think the board of regents would think too highly of us using anout of state hospital especially that distance.

WUTNDITWAA
May 30th, 2011, 10:42 PM
Because I was posting to 3 diff posters.

One post would suffice.

SoCon48
May 31st, 2011, 07:04 AM
No sh--. Are you the moderator?

WUTNDITWAA
May 31st, 2011, 12:26 PM
Be glad I'm not. You didn't even reference a poster in post 223, which was your first post. It's safe to assume that you were talking to everyone there.

ASUMountaineer
May 31st, 2011, 01:56 PM
FTR. Duke and Wake have had medical schools much longer than 30 years.

FTR. I don't think he was saying that Duke and Wake have only had medical schools for 30 years. He said that "ECU had to fight like hell 30 years ago to get their school."

ASUMountaineer
May 31st, 2011, 01:57 PM

Holy **** Dr. T-bag, you are alive!

Smitty
May 31st, 2011, 02:07 PM
I don't know about a Medical school in our future any time soon, but I do know that they started construction on a new health sciences building.

Stanford expects the facility to open in January 2012, housing about 80 faculty members and serving more than 1,000 students in graduate and undergraduate programs, including nursing, social work, physical therapy, athletic training, environmental health, health information administration, nutrition and dietetics, emergency medical care, recreational therapy, and communication sciences and disorders.

The building will have 13 classrooms, 20 program-specific laboratories, five research laboratories, specialized outpatient health and rehabilitation clinics, offices, gathering spaces and a coffeehouse restaurant. Among unique features of the building are extensive videoconferencing and telemedicine capabilities, a pool for teaching and performing aquatic therapy and a video production studio. Faculty members will be able to view live video feeds of interaction between patients and students, and host guest speakers who are off-site.

Linkage (http://thereporter.wcu.edu/2009/08/site-preparation-under-way-for-46-million-health-and-human-sciences-building-to-anchor-first-millennial-initiative-neighborhood/)

theasushow
May 31st, 2011, 09:08 PM
I linked a prominent medical school forum for those who are interested...

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/

AlphaSigMD
June 1st, 2011, 05:44 PM
FTR. I don't think he was saying that Duke and Wake have only had medical schools for 30 years. He said that "ECU had to fight like hell 30 years ago to get their school."

Correct. I was stating that Brody(ECU) has only been around for about 30 years. They also had to jump through more than a decade of hoops that were largely imposed by the big 3 medical schools in the state. UNC also engaged in some shenanigans during that process where all of the Brody students had to go to UNC at some point in time in order to receive additional teaching/training/approval.

Yeah, I only recently was able to extricate myself from residency/studying long enough to engage in AGS festivities. xreadxxthumbsupx

SoCon48
June 1st, 2011, 08:31 PM
And especially the AMA who maintained that ECU's general academics were deficient which they were and are still not up to the standards most schools have which offer the MD degrees.

UNH Fanboi
June 5th, 2012, 09:55 PM
Pay attention. It IS a done deal.

http://i.ytimg.com/vi/amg5oDtLWDw/0.jpg

asu3peat
June 6th, 2012, 07:49 AM
Yeah, a medical school at ASU is pipe dream right now...

By your estimates, how much would it cost to privately fund a medical school? With the fundraising for the $200mm campaign well under way, something of this magnitude could be the next big fundraiser. If ASU was somehow to privately fund a small medical school, would they then be able to procure funds from the state in order to operate? Would it be easier to start with say a veterinarian and/or dentistry school?

MplsBison
June 6th, 2012, 08:26 AM
How many public medical schools does a state need?

If UNC has one, that should be enough unless another would be filling a very niche purpose in the state, like say supporting rural physicians in western NC or something to that effect.

Sir William
June 6th, 2012, 08:41 AM
Medical Schools in NC:

UNC-Chapel Hill School of Medicine
Duke University School of Medicine
Bowman Gray (Wake Forest University) School of Medicine
East Carolina University School of Medicine

Not sure if there are any others.

MplsBison
June 6th, 2012, 08:50 AM
Public, I said.

Didn't know ECU had one, but perhaps they're filling the niche out in the rural part of East NC. Again, as I said.

WH49er
June 6th, 2012, 09:02 AM
http://www.levinechildrenshospital.org/body.cfm?id=1219

This ticks me off to the highest degree.

fc97
June 6th, 2012, 09:26 AM
not sure why you guys are surprised, theres a definite pecking order to the state schools with associated politicians

look at who was allowed pharmacy schools and who was allowed nursing schools too

AshevilleApp2
June 6th, 2012, 09:42 AM
http://www.levinechildrenshospital.org/body.cfm?id=1219

This ticks me off to the highest degree.

Good deal!

Apphole
June 6th, 2012, 09:52 AM
not sure why you guys are surprised, theres a definite pecking order to the state schools with associated politicians

look at who was allowed pharmacy schools and who was allowed nursing schools too

Everyone is crushed beneath the Tar Hole boot heal. One MORE reason to add App to CUSA. Three in state schools/rivals could really put up a strong fight against transient Tar Hole fans, assuming Charlotte can get serious with football fast.

MplsBison
June 6th, 2012, 10:03 AM
I'm more interested to see what's going to happen to the ACC after Florida St and Clemson join the Big XII.

I guess VT could theoretically be picked by the selection committee for the 4-team playoff...ever 10 years or so.