PDA

View Full Version : WCU Asst HC Lands at Temple

TexasTerror
February 23rd, 2006, 05:01 PM
Is this really a good move for Matt Rhule? Leaving WCU where he was the #2 man (asst HC) to be the D-Line coach at Temple. Definitely not the place where I'd wanna head, but Al Golden loves those Penn State folks on his staff...

PHILADELPHIA - Matt Rhule, who spent the past four seasons as an assistant coach at Western Carolina, including three as assistant head coach, has been named defensive line coach at Temple University by Al Golden. Rhule, who played four seasons at Penn State from 1994-97, arrives in Owl Country with eight seasons of collegiate coaching experience.

“Matt Rhule is second only to Coach DeLeone on the staff in the number of positions he has coached and sheer knowledge of the game,” said Golden. “Matt is young, energetic and unselfish. Matt has lived and recruited in Pennsylvania so he satisfies a particular recruiting need for us here in the commonwealth. Matt is the only defensive line coach in the MAC who has also coached the offensive line. This will prove to be a tremendous advantage for both our staff and players as we prepare for our opponents. Coach Rhule brings with him over a decade of excellence in scholarship, professionalism and leadership to North Broad Street. Lastly, I know he and his wife, who is a Williamsport native, are excited about returning to the Keystone State.”

http://www.owlsports.com/sports/football/releases/release.asp?RELEASE_ID=16839

blukeys
February 23rd, 2006, 06:23 PM
The short answer is NO.

I don't know what the long answer is.

Delaware has hired a 49 year old Temple assistant to be secondary coach. It appears that the move was a lateral transfer which suggests that to move from Temple to Delaware is a move up.

If the guy works hard and does well he has a chance to be on the UD staff in 3 or 4 years.

If this is his goal then he definitely made the right move. UD has a ton of PA. assistants on their staff.

catamount man
February 23rd, 2006, 08:03 PM
Matt is entering a situation that's a total win-win for him. Temple University is 2 hours away from his parents and his inlaws, a substantial pay raise and a head coach with a 5 year contract. Kent Briggs, our present head coach, is heading into his last year of a 5 year contract. In reality, it's a step up. And believe me, Cullowhee will miss Matt Rhule and his family-BIG TIME! He will always be loved and cherished by the WCU family. All the best Matt!

GO CATAMOUNTS!!!

WCU LawCat
February 24th, 2006, 09:47 AM
Matt was a good assistant head coach and we all loved him at WCU. Hated to see him leave. You will see him in the I-AA head coaching ranks eventually and he will make someone a good head coach.

We are currently thrilled with our newest hire Don Powers. He returns to WCU with a wealth of coaching and HEAD COACHING experience. He should make an instant impact.

GannonFan
February 24th, 2006, 10:47 AM
Although it's not a good place to be a head coach, being an assistant coach at Temple is not the touch of death. Temple actually does a fairly good job of moving assistant coaches through the ranks - UD actually has two former Temple assistants (offensive line coach and aforementioned d-back coach) and both look extremely capable. I wouldn't expect him to be at Temple long and maybe he's using this to catapult somewhere else. In college football sometimes you have to keep moving - a lot of coaches who stay put for too long at one spot find they can't go anywhere else.

njhoya
February 24th, 2006, 12:55 PM
Temple may be ready to start improving. New coach and a MUCH more favorable schedule playing in the new conference. Last year's schedule might have been the most brutal in the country.

catamount man
February 24th, 2006, 05:32 PM
Temple may be ready to start improving. New coach and a MUCH more favorable schedule playing in the new conference. Last year's schedule might have been the most brutal in the country.

No doubt. Al Golden may just be the shot in the arm they need. Temple hasn't posted a winning record since going 7-4 in 1990. Matt Rhule is young (my age actually) and is just a pleasure to be around. He WILL get those kids at Temple to sell their ass for him on every play at full speed. Temple got a winner, and Western Carolina lost a good one, but as Lawcat stated, Don Powers back at DC in the 'whee is nothing BUT good! GO CATAMOUNTS!!!