PDA

View Full Version : Melvin Spears Named New Coach at Alcorn State

GeauxLions94
January 20th, 2011, 05:54 PM
Alcorn grad who played for Marino Casem returns to the Reservation after serving as offensive coordinator at Alabama State. Wonder what happened to the last guy (see below)???

Spears succeeds Earnest Collins, who resigned to accept another opportunity on Dec. 30, 2010, after two seasons as head coach at The Reservation with an 8-12 (.666) record, including a 5-6 mark in 2010.

Story (http://alcornsports.com/news/2011/1/19/FB_0119112342.aspx)

TSUalum05
January 20th, 2011, 08:19 PM
Not sure if you know but Ernest Collins took the job at Northern Colorado as the head coach.

GeauxLions94
January 20th, 2011, 09:36 PM
I did know that Collins went to UNC (didn't know originally he was an alum of UNC until I read the release) ... was just making light of the part where it said Collins "resigned to accept another opportunity."

Good hire of Spears for Alcorn. Could be pretty exciting in Lorman in 2011.

3rd Coast Tiger
January 21st, 2011, 08:27 AM
"Boss" Spears xsmileyclapx

mikebigg
January 23rd, 2011, 02:47 AM
"Boss" Spears xsmileyclapx

I wonder if I'll ever get "credit" for giving him that nickname? Prolly not! (lol)

TexasTerror
January 23rd, 2011, 07:25 AM
mikebigg - have the most successful SWAC coaches of late (last five years or so) been guys that have come in from the outside? Or are they guys who have been in the league awhile?

mikebigg
January 23rd, 2011, 11:17 AM
mikebigg - have the most successful SWAC coaches of late (last five years or so) been guys that have come in from the outside? Or are they guys who have been in the league awhile?

It varies... Since the 2000's, Grambling has won the most SWAC football championships. 3 with Doug Williams (GSU grad), 1 with Melvin Spears (Alcorn) and 1 with Rod Broadway (North Carolina). Comegy (JSU), Charlie Coe (Bama State), Pete Richardson (SU), Henry Frazier (PVU) are from outside the conference (in terms of their undergrad colleges) but their staffs had heavy SWAC connections. The past year, was Johnny Cole (TxSU ) winning one for his alma mater against Barlow (ASU) who was coaching at his alma mater.

What is the situation with the SLC?

TexasTerror
January 24th, 2011, 06:46 AM
[QUOTE=mikebigg;1608791What is the situation with the SLC?[/QUOTE]

Most of the guys have either been alums at the schools or had quite a bit of experience as coordinators, before becoming HCs. We have not seen guys go from head coach of one school within the SLC footprint to another as a head coach.

Of note, former Nicholls HC Jay Thomas is at NWST, former NWST HC Scott Stoker is at SHSU, as is former SWT HC Bob DeBeese as well. All as coordinators at some level or another. That was relatively new trend started by Stoker.