PDA

View Full Version : Port City Classic - Shreveport, La.

mikebigg
January 18th, 2011, 08:38 AM
http://www.gsutigers.com/news/2010/2/23/FB_0223100504.aspx?path=football

Curious... Would your fanbase be interested in seeing your team participate in this "neutral" site matchup versus Grambling?

DG Cowboy
January 18th, 2011, 11:31 AM
If this is a shared revenue game, it would be possible. If a team has to give up their half of a home-and-home, I don't know if they can afford to not have that home game the second year. McNeese would have at least 16,000+ for a Grambling game, based on the one we played. That's a lot of revenue over a 2-year deal. I think the home-and-home we played was good for both schools. If one game was in LC and the other in S'port as a Grambling home game, that would be fine as well.

mikebigg
January 18th, 2011, 11:49 AM
It's not giving up a share of a home and home...it's more of a neutral site classic arrangement that would be (as was with La Tech) a revenue sharing deal. Don't know what the split/details would be, but that could be worked out between the two Athletic Directors after crunching the numbers and (of course) getting with your coaching staff. Some McNeese fans might feel that it's a Grambling home game due to proximity.

DG Cowboy
January 18th, 2011, 12:56 PM
The shared revenue deal would work. It would give McNeese an opportunity to increase a recruiting presence in the NW LA area. We have gotten some good players (such as Bob Howell) from Shreveport. Not as many lately.

TexasTerror
January 18th, 2011, 02:14 PM
Has Grambling announced its opponent for 2011?

Seems most of the 'neighboring' schools in the Southland are pretty set as far as scheduling is concerned. Would love to see some of the La. schools in the SLC trade a FBS game for a winnable FCS game. Helps our league's chances at getting multiple teams in the playoffs.

mikebigg
January 18th, 2011, 02:19 PM
Has Grambling announced its opponent for 2011?

Seems most of the 'neighboring' schools in the Southland are pretty set as far as scheduling is concerned. Would love to see some of the La. schools in the SLC trade a FBS game for a winnable FCS game. Helps our league's chances at getting multiple teams in the playoffs.

I also feel playing other regional FCS opponents makes it a winnable game - make a nice payday - create new rivalries.

DG Cowboy
January 18th, 2011, 03:09 PM
McNeese gets $400,000 for the Kansas game. How much would the Port City Classic be worth to give up an FBS payday for a winnable FCS game? I understand McNeese would be partly responsible for bringing fans to fill the seats.

mikebigg
January 18th, 2011, 04:02 PM
McNeese gets $400,000 for the Kansas game. How much would the Port City Classic be worth to give up an FBS payday for a winnable FCS game? I understand McNeese would be partly responsible for bringing fans to fill the seats.

The deal with La Tech was driven by attendance... I think the agreement was 50/50 of the first $400k tickets sold and an agreed upon percentage of total sales in excess of that amount. So the more fans in attendance (regardless of school) the more $ to be made. I'm there are other revenue opportunities, but the thing that made it attractive was the low overhead (security, stadium rental, etc) for the two schools as it was picked up by the City of Shreveport.

If you guys are looking for the EXACT details, I can't help you there... All I know is both schools made $ as the attendance was 34k plus. A good crowd but disappointing since attendance greatly impacted revenue. Unfortunately, it bothered some Tech fans that the game wasn't on their campus and that Grambling was designated as the Home team (after all, we worked out and contracted the deal with the City) with Tech as the visiting partner. As with all things in La, sometimes egos get in the way of making money!