PDA

View Full Version : Who is your big time rival.

griz&beer
February 23rd, 2006, 01:24 AM
I just want to get a better feel for the big rivals in 1-AA. So who do you and your team HATE ???

LeopardFan04
February 23rd, 2006, 02:06 AM
Easy enough. Lehigh. I'd want to beat them badly even if it was only in Tic-Tac-Toe.

CatFan22
February 23rd, 2006, 02:13 AM
Do I have to say it?

SochorField
February 23rd, 2006, 02:59 AM
Sac State --"Causeway Classic"

Cal Poly --"Battle for the Golden Horseshoe"

Lionsrking
February 23rd, 2006, 03:33 AM
I just want to get a better feel for the big rivals in 1-AA. So who do you and your team HATE ???

For Southeastern La. we've only had football back for three years but Nicholls State is our natural rival. McNeese seems to be brewing into one as well.

GAD
February 23rd, 2006, 05:16 AM
That's easy the Tigers Jackson State & Grambling.

FU97
February 23rd, 2006, 06:20 AM
Depends on how old the Furman grad is. If you are under 40, its GSU. If you are over 40, its ****adel.

Personally, though I'm under 40, I still consider the ****adel our biggest rival. The GSU game in football is obviously a more important game (becasue the ****adel has sucked for so long now), but that in and of itself doesn't mean its a bigger rivalry.

catamount man
February 23rd, 2006, 06:30 AM
The boys from Boone. Respect 'em? Hell yes. Like 'em? Hell no!

GO CATAMOUNTS!!!

HENJOHN
February 23rd, 2006, 06:40 AM
V-I-L-L-A-N-O-V-A

and JMU coming on fast.

TexasTerror
February 23rd, 2006, 06:51 AM
The Kats top two rivals include Stephen F Austin in the "Battle of the Piney Woods". We're two hours away from each other. It's the highest-rated SLC TV game in football each year and there's been some huge games across the board between ranked I-AA foes and even the 'battle for the first-ever NCAA BKB bid' in 2003 where the Kats beat the Jacks 69-66 in OT.

Also, Texas St - San Marcos is becoming a bit of a rivalry. The online avenue is really getting things fired up on that front, that's for sure...

ngineer
February 23rd, 2006, 07:00 AM
Easy enough. Lehigh. I'd want to beat them badly even if it was only in Tic-Tac-Toe.

The feeling is mutual.:D Lehigh and Lafayette 'go at it' in everything, mens or womens, regardless of sport. This is one rivalry where a win over the other can still be salve on a bad season. Many a coach with a losing season has salvaged his job by beating the other to 'save the season'. Since I see you are a 'newbie' I'll also note, though many on this board have heard it ad nauseum, that the Lehigh-Lafayette rivalry in football is the most played football rivalry in the country in any division. This coming November 18 will be the 142nd Game.

bluehenbillk
February 23rd, 2006, 07:07 AM
stinkin' 'Nova & their drunken priests

OL FU
February 23rd, 2006, 07:11 AM
Depends on how old the Furman grad is. If you are under 40, its GSU. If you are over 40, its ****adel.

Personally, though I'm under 40, I still consider the ****adel our biggest rival. The GSU game in football is obviously a more important game (becasue the ****adel has sucked for so long now), but that in and of itself doesn't mean its a bigger rivalry.

Correct analysis of our rivalries.

Unfortunately the Citadel rivalry is just not what it used to be. It used to be........ Nasty. I think it may have less to do with the Citadel being bad than Furman competing in the playoffs most years. As ngineer stated above, a good rivalry victory can save a season. However, with Furman's sucess in the playoffs over the last 20 plus years, the Citadel game no longer falls into that category.

Eaglegus2
February 23rd, 2006, 07:22 AM
Our rival is Furman, we hate App State.

AppGuy04
February 23rd, 2006, 07:25 AM
Western Carolina(Old Mountain Jug), Furman, Ga Southern

McNeese72
February 23rd, 2006, 07:38 AM
For Southeastern La. we've only had football back for three years but Nicholls State is our natural rival. McNeese seems to be brewing into one as well.

For us old McNeese fans, nobody will ever replace USL (now Louisiana-Lafayette) at the top of the list even though we haven't played them in years. I still have some "Go to Hell, U.S.L., Go to Hell" T-shirts in a drawer somewhere.

Doc

Cocky
February 23rd, 2006, 07:44 AM
Old Rival-Troy State
Present Rival-Samford
Future Rival-EKU

colgate13
February 23rd, 2006, 07:49 AM
Colgate/Cornell in everything

Colgate/Lehigh has some nice intensity too when it comes to football.

Colgate/Syracuse from yesteryear...

Linehawg
February 23rd, 2006, 07:53 AM
The Citadel - "Military Classic of the South" Goes back to 1929 with Citadel holding an oh-so tenuous 32-30-2 lead at the moment over VMI...but the next few years will change that.

MYTAPPY
February 23rd, 2006, 08:25 AM
No question.............the "cats" of Western Carolina.
FU and Georgia Southern are always good games, but
there is nothing that competes with the "old mountain jug"

UNH_ORACLE
UNH vs MAINE BATTLE OF THE BRICE-COWELL MUSKETT

JaxSinfonian
I don't think any team will ever be hated in Jacksonville like Troy was (is?). Certainly not Samford. They'll have to find a way to win some from the Gamecocks before that's a possibility.

Current students and recent grads haven't a clue, but "Whup Troy!" will always be a rallying cry for many Jax State fans.

boozeANDammo
February 23rd, 2006, 08:35 AM
William and Mary (absolute terrific series of games the last few years) and Richmond (the usual suspect)... with the Blue Chicks of Delaware coming on fast.

GannonFan
February 23rd, 2006, 08:37 AM
Stinkin' nova - and if Temple ever had the guts to schedule us again they'd be right up there too.

NoCoDanny
February 23rd, 2006, 08:44 AM
It's been a problem for UNC that we've never had that true natural rival to boost interest and attendance. 40 years ago we played the small Colorado schools like Mines, Western, etc, but left those behind for the NCC. There we were considered the outpost in the conference and not a natural rival of anyone. Now we are in a similar boat.

Anyone not have a rival and need one? Anyone?

TxState_GO_CATS!
February 23rd, 2006, 08:48 AM
Nicholls State (battle for the paddle) and SHSU-Huntsville

Fordham
February 23rd, 2006, 08:48 AM
Good question for Fordham fans (we had a thread on our board debating this during this past season). After dropping football for so long and then being club and then DIII prior to making the late 80's jump to I-AA, we don't have that constant thread that's been running from the beginning.

The consensus of the thread is that it's either Holy Cross or Georgetown, though, both due to the history between the us and the Jesuit link. I think most in the end (myself included) felt it was G-town for no other reason than their football history most mirrors ours and I believe they are our most played rival overall.

Good question.

OL FU
February 23rd, 2006, 09:23 AM
I'll make a prediction for the future which some of my Furman compadres might smirk at (and I realize this is not the subject) but at some time in the future, it will be Wofford. Wofford people might pick Furman now but historically, for Furman fans, Wofford was NAIA and D -II ( I think) for way to long to rise to that level presently.

The longer Wofford and Furman play in the same division and conference the more the rivalry will heat up. The schools are very similar. Small, private, very good academics, 25 miles apart. Greenville versus Spartanburg (even though FU is realy not in Greenville any more). It just makes sense especially if GSU and ASU move on up.

AppGuy04
February 23rd, 2006, 09:25 AM
especially if GSU and ASU move on up.
we all know this is just talk, believe it when it happens

sorry, i digress

FU97
February 23rd, 2006, 09:26 AM
I'll make a prediction for the future which some of my Furman compadres might smirk at (and I realize this is not the subject) but at some time in the future, it will be Wofford. Wofford people might pick Furman now but historically, for Furman fans, Wofford was NAIA and D -II ( I think) for way to long to rise to that level presently.

The longer Wofford and Furman play in the same division and conference the more the rivalry will heat up. The schools are very similar. Small, private, very good academics, 25 miles apart. Greenville versus Spartanburg (even though FU is realy not in Greenville any more). It just makes sense especially if GSU and ASU move on up.

While I can see the theory, that's a long way off. I think Citadel would move back to the forefront before Wofford did.

AppGuy04
February 23rd, 2006, 09:29 AM
While I can see the theory, that's a long way off. I think Citadel would move back to the forefront before Wofford did.
not if El Cid sucks a big one every year

OL FU
February 23rd, 2006, 09:33 AM

Yeah, I am not predicting when just sometime. I also think we will have to wait and see what Wofford does post-Ayers. How long has he been there?
If they can't keep the program up after Ayers then all bets are off :D

arranger101
February 23rd, 2006, 09:49 AM
S.C. State vs N.C. A&T in Charlotte, N.C.

This an old grundgy rivalry. When mention Bulldogs and Aggies(a female bulldog) in the same sentence, there is bound to be an arguement. I haven't seen too many on here, but REALLY hate it when we call them ...

(F)aggies!!!: flamemad

PLUS YOU HAVE......

"MARCHING '101' BAND" vs "Blue and Gold Marching Machine"

JMU2K_DukeDawg
February 23rd, 2006, 11:05 AM
For JMU things have changed over the years.

I used to think it was UR when they were playing basketball in the CAA, but since they moved out, they have been simply annoying like their silly Spider mascot.

I personally, have always felt a great in-state rivalry with W&M. We tend to play tough, close games every year and there is always a good amount of student support for this game, even from W&M these days...

If we can somehow knock off UD at home one of these years, that will continue what is starting to become a rival in many sports, including football. But we have to get over that hump, hopefully by beating them at home this year and at the TUB next year. That will brew a little frustration in the hen house.

JMU2K_DukeDawg
February 23rd, 2006, 11:06 AM
Clarification - "beat UD at their home"

DUPFLFan
February 23rd, 2006, 11:18 AM
Drake's rivals:

#1 Dayton
#2 San Diego

Kabooom
February 23rd, 2006, 11:40 AM
Everyone knows it's the Montana State Ag College Cats. Has been...always will. BUT BRING BAAACK THE BOISE ST BRONCOS, AND THE IDAHO VANDALS!

catbob
February 23rd, 2006, 11:48 AM
I hate Cal Poly, but I'm sure they love us to death.

EWU has a nice little rivarly going the last few years or so.

I was hoping that we would renew a rivarly with NDSU, but they were left off the schedule this year. I had a great time last year!

griz&beer
February 23rd, 2006, 11:55 AM
I have a bad taste in my mouth from Boise the last time they played us they won, and took out Super Dave (1994). Idaho is different. We have owned them the last 5 times or so we played them, but I know it was not the case back in the day.

ngineer
February 23rd, 2006, 11:57 AM
Good question for Fordham fans (we had a thread on our board debating this during this past season). After dropping football for so long and then being club and then DIII prior to making the late 80's jump to I-AA, we don't have that constant thread that's been running from the beginning.

The consensus of the thread is that it's either Holy Cross or Georgetown, though, both due to the history between the us and the Jesuit link. I think most in the end (myself included) felt it was G-town for no other reason than their football history most mirrors ours and I believe they are our most played rival overall.

Good question.

Too bad St. Mary's of California dropped football. If I remember correctly from my history, (as opposed to first hand witness), Fordham and St. Mary's had tremendous rivalry football games back in the 1920's into the 1950's. When FU reinstituted football, I thought they might try and reinstitute that rivalry. I'm surprised due to the lack if much I-AA presence on the West Coast that St. Mary's was not able to build a program.

eagle1
February 23rd, 2006, 12:10 PM
Used to be Idaho but now it is Montana. Montana is only 3 hours away so it is a natural rival for EWU.

tsutiger
February 23rd, 2006, 12:39 PM
1 Florida A&M

http://tennessean.com/galleries/2005/sports/tsujohnmerritt/images/johnmerritt20.jpg

Getting their 'Rattler Sticks" all ready for Florida A&M's Rattlers are Tennessee State player Dave Coleman, left, Coach John Merritt, cheerleader Elisabeth Bates, and player Sylvester Jarrett. Staff photo by Dale Ernsberger (The Tennessean) 10/17/1979

2. Jackson State

UNH_Alum_In_CT
February 23rd, 2006, 12:43 PM
UNH vs MAINE BATTLE OF THE BRICE-COWELL MUSKETT

Oracle,

I know that Maine is now the season ending game, the biggest ice hockey rival and a member of UNH's all sports league. But I can't let go of UMass being the #1 rival. I think you'll find many "old timers" who share the same opinion.

Back during the Ice Age when I was in school, Maine was a traditional Homecoming opponent along with Vermont ( :eek: ) while UMass was the season ending game. Looking at some UNH History, it appears UMass-UNH finished the season starting in 1953 and other than in 1954 did so through the 1993 season. After that the YanCon/A-10 started juggling schedules. During the mid 70's there were three consecutive games with the Yankee Conference Crown and auto-bid to the eight team D-II Tournament on the line. The feeling always was that the conference crown and playoff bids had to be won against UMass.

Personally, I wasn't on board for all 40 years of those season ending battles, only 25 years! :p But those 25 years have instilled a feeling that UMass was UNH's biggest football rival. It's going to take a few epic battles with Maine with A-10 crowns and playoff bids on the line in that last game to win over the old timers.

A few years ago I wandered into a gathering with alumni, family, faculty, administration, etc. after UNH had upset UMass. IIRC, UNH was under .500 even with the win, but you should have seen the happiness in that room. I don't think I've ever seen the same degree of celebration for a win over Maine. Maybe because Maine and UNH football tend to run in opposite cycles? But I think it stems from more of these people having ties back to the days when Southeastern NH was much, much more rural and having more similarity with the other parts of NH than it does today. Back then, "big brother" to the South was known as Taxachusetts and the land of uncontrolled spending. The Granite Staters took great pride in being the anti-Taxachusetts and savored every moment they could tweak Big Brother's nose!

I'd be interested in views from the UMass folks because maybe they didn't see the UNH game as big a rivalry game as the Granite Staters did. I'm guessing that back in those old days, you did Homecoming with URI and UConn. And IIRC you might have even played Holy Cross or Boston College after UNH. And Holy Cross in those days was a very different program then today, much higher level of play. Warning: Don't ever broach the subject around any HC old timers!!

ASU Kep
February 23rd, 2006, 12:49 PM
We just generally hate anybody purple.

colgate13
February 23rd, 2006, 01:39 PM
1 Florida A&M

http://tennessean.com/galleries/2005/sports/tsujohnmerritt/images/johnmerritt20.jpg

LOVE the Spot-Bilt (saucony) shoes and those old foam arm protectors that went to the elbow! Now THAT'S some old school stuff right there...

For some reason, those spot-bilt shoes bring back some great memories of childhood!

DTSpider
February 23rd, 2006, 01:40 PM
For Richmond things have died down a little due to some recent on-field problems (although corrected in 2005). Unfortunately things have changed since the all-conference move to the A10. Current students don't really have a rivalry. W&M is the big game for most folks. The JMU series has its moments, although both teams haven't been consistently good recently, although how can we forget the pudding incident. If UR can consistently put a good product on the field these two rivalries will heat back up. I expect JMU to get more interesting as this year there were some recruits both ways who backed out of verbals to sign with the other.

Pard4Life
February 23rd, 2006, 01:42 PM
Duh, those South Mountain folks. : retard :

I used to stare out my 4th floor South window towards the forboding mountain prepetually shrouded in darkness and glum. With regularity we must trek over there and vanquish the enemy scum with impunity!

Yes that's how close Lafayette-Lehigh are to each other.. you look from the highest floor on campus (4th floor.. we aren't very tall) and see Lehigh on the other side of the valley.

After the hawks, I'd say
2. Princeton (don't know why, guess because we never win)
3. Colgate (same, good games too)
4. Bucknell
5. Penn maybe?

Bison05
February 23rd, 2006, 02:05 PM
I was hoping that we would renew a rivarly with NDSU, but they were left off the schedule this year. I had a great time last year!

Gobison.com is reporting that we will play you in '07 in Fargo, so there's still hope for renewing the rivalry.:nod:

walliver
February 23rd, 2006, 02:07 PM
Wofford biggest rivals are Furman and the Citadel.

Unfortunately we haven't beaten Furman enough lately.

We hated the Citadel a lot more in the 1980's and 90's when we played every year in Charleston and usually lost, but the Citadel hasn't had much success on the football field lately, and people don't get as excited abouth that game.

Most fans hated App State in the 1970's for stealing Jim Brakefield and Fisher DeBerry, but we've gotten over that.

Davidson was also a big rival until they wimped out and dropped scholarship football.

Fortunately (or unfortunately depending on how you look at it), I don't think anybody looks at us as their big rival. A lot of the older rivalries died off when Division I-AA was formed and most I-AA schools stopped playing home-and-home series with NAIA schools. We haven't played our biggest D-2 rival Presbyterian since our first year in I-AA (I suspect the reason is that we won't travel to Clinton).

EASports NCAA Football 2005 lists Furman and Elon as our "rivalry games", but I don't think many fans get excited about Elon.

DuckDuckGriz
February 23rd, 2006, 02:09 PM
I have a bad taste in my mouth from Boise the last time they played us they won, and took out Super Dave (1994). Idaho is different. We have owned them the last 5 times or so we played them, but I know it was not the case back in the day.

Come on now everyone knows the last time we played Boise, Super Dave lit em up during homecoming in Washington-Grizzly Stadium (this is the year after they went to the NC) and stomped their azzes 54-28!

This was 1995. Boise's last year in I-AA. I think if anyone should have the bad taste in their mouth....its the Broncos :rotateh:

Bear Fan 101
February 23rd, 2006, 02:10 PM
Ok since UCA is new to the whole 1-AA scene and we now officially have zero true rivals. I am thinking of starting an auction on e-BAY. How it would work would be that any fan from a particular school could come and bid. Obviously at the end of the time highest bidder gets to be our new rival...any takers?

If not, UCA may just have to start fights with someone until they create one. Either way, we're left out for now. One of only a couple of bad options in the move up.

biobengal
February 23rd, 2006, 02:22 PM
Idaho State used to have Boise State (short 3 hour drive) and Idaho (short 10 hour drive), but we all know what happened there.

ISU has tryed to manufacture a rivalry with Weber State over the years, but it hasn't taken, mostly because of lop-sided outcomes and the institutions are radically different.

The two that I think have potential include Montana State and Utah State, I've always thought ISU and MSU could create a nice rivalry and we had a short football rivalry going with I-A Utah State.

NSUDemon98
February 23rd, 2006, 03:41 PM
Idaho State used to have Boise State (short 3 hour drive) and Idaho (short 10 hour drive), but we all know what happened there.

ISU has tryed to manufacture a rivalry with Weber State over the years, but it hasn't taken, mostly because of lop-sided outcomes and the institutions are radically different.

The two that I think have potential include Montana State and Utah State, I've always thought ISU and MSU could create a nice rivalry and we had a short football rivalry going with I-A Utah State.

NSU really doesn't have any strong rivalries. LaTech use to be huge and would draw 40,000 to the anual State Fair Games at Independence Stadium. They are too good for us now and we have since moved on but our rivalries have never been the same or as heated.

After LaTech jumped to I-A it become ULM(Northeast Louisiana), then they jumped to I-A and we have never had as big a rivalry since.

SFA is "so so", but it is a manufactured rivalry b/c of "Chief Caddo" and the how many years we go back. Besides, SFA really hates Sam Houston St. anyway.
McNeese has the potential to be a huge rivalry if NSU could get something consistent going on a yearly basis. It was getting pretty good and then NSU had a sub-par season, the next year McNeese had a sub-par season.
Nicholls-Just b/c they try to use "NSU" but have no real credibility.

NSU has never really had a big fan following or interest ever since LaTech and ULM(NLU) left. Not that we have ever had high att. numbers anyway.

McNeese is the logical answer for a pretty heated rivalry but I doubt it will ever grow more than what it is.

It seems in the SLC the rivalries are Nicholls-SLU, SHSU-SFA, TxStUnivSan Marcos-SHSU. McNeese-NSU would be the obvious choice but it just hasn't materialized.

Stang Fever
February 23rd, 2006, 03:44 PM
Cant stand Davis.......i mean you cant even get your team picture up if you dont beat davis.....we have 4 goals every year and you better believe that Davis is number two on the list

WIn the opener
Beat Davis
etc.

As for the Montana State thing......yeah we love you guys....cause we beat the crap out of you just about every year.....kind of mad that there is no game this coming season

Killtoppers90
February 23rd, 2006, 04:04 PM
In conference: Western Ill or Illinois State (although Youngstown would beg to differ on that)

Out of conference: EKU

SU Jag
February 23rd, 2006, 04:14 PM
Jackson State
Grambling

slostang
February 23rd, 2006, 04:32 PM
I hate Cal Poly, but I'm sure they love us to death.

EWU has a nice little rivarly going the last few years or so.

I would think that you would at least have a healthy amount of respect for Cal Poly to go along with your hate after 7 straight losses to Cal Poly.

It took Cal Poly 11 times to pick up a win against MSU biggest rival Montana, and I have nothing but respect for Montana.

As far as Cal Poly's biggest rival, it would have to be Cal State Davis. No better feeling than beating Cal State Davis and no worse feeling than than losing to them.

Go...gate
February 23rd, 2006, 04:33 PM
Prior to WWII, Cornell-Syracuse-Colgate was also known as the "Upstate New York Big Three". Since then, with Syracuse's growth into a major power in many sports, that three-way rivalry has declined.

Post WWII through the late-80's, Rutgers and Holy Cross were very big rivals of Colgate. The Colgate-Lehigh rivalry has really developed since the PL was formed, though it seems to be the "friendliest" rival of all.

Bottom line - the most enduring rival in the greatest number of sports is Cornell.

I'd like to say we have a rivalry with Delaware, but we have to win a game against them first....:bawling:

blukeys
February 23rd, 2006, 06:47 PM
Prior to WWII, Cornell-Syracuse-Colgate was also known as the "Upstate New York Big Three". Since then, with Syracuse's growth into a major power in many sports, that three-way rivalry has declined.

Post WWII through the late-80's, Rutgers and Holy Cross were very big rivals of Colgate. The Colgate-Lehigh rivalry has really developed since the PL was formed, though it seems to be the "friendliest" rival of all.

Bottom line - the most enduring rival in the greatest number of sports is Cornell.

I'd like to say we have a rivalry with Delaware, but we have to win a game against them first....:bawling:

No Problem. No one at UD considers Colgate a rival other than Tubby Raymond. The Tubster is still pissed that Colgate wanted to use the UD Field House for their 1977 Victory Celebration (Dave Nelson was tottally incensed but he is dead now). Tubby never wastes an opportunity to dump on Colgate even more so than Nova!!! (Tubby and Talley have just played to much golf together for my taste!!!)

Tubby has been on the record that Colgate is a bunch of snot nosed overratted blowhards. While they don't warrant a circle in hell lower than Lehigh Valley reporters (Paul Reinhard), they do deserve to lose anytime in the Tubster's opinion!!!:nod: :nod: :nod:

SunCoastBlueHen
February 23rd, 2006, 08:05 PM
No Problem. No one at UD considers Colgate a rival other than Tubby Raymond. The Tubster is still pissed that Colgate wanted to use the UD Field House for their 1977 Victory Celebration (Dave Nelson was tottally incensed but he is dead now). Tubby never wastes an opportunity to dump on Colgate even more so than Nova!!! (Tubby and Talley have just played to much golf together for my taste!!!)

Tubby has been on the record that Colgate is a bunch of snot nosed overratted blowhards. While they don't warrant a circle in hell lower than Lehigh Valley reporters (Paul Reinhard), they do deserve to lose anytime in the Tubster's opinion!!!:nod: :nod: :nod:

Very interesting! I didn't know the Tubster and D.N. had a bone to pick!

Go...gate
February 23rd, 2006, 08:36 PM
This is the first I have ever heard that Colgate made such plans - pretty disappointing and low-rent on our part. Was that Colgate's administration? John Morris was the Interim President then. I can't imagine Fred Dunlap ever being happy with such arrangements.

What is funny is that Colgate had been on the wrong end of that kind of treatment from Rutgers for several years after Frank Burns became their coach in 1973. Burns was insulted to be on the same field with us and, along with his players, shot his mouth off about Colgate not being a worthy opponent.

Our response was give it right back, but on the field, and to beat the sh-t out of Rutgers, which we did - even though they were probably moving ahead of us a bit by the mid to late 1970's. So for us to turn around and disrespect Delaware was really bad. It also sounds like you guys have not forgotten, and no one can blame you for that. Rest assured, however, that you made your point.

I don't think such a pompous attitude reflected the core Colgate fan base. Hell, I was at that game, and knew nothing about any such celebration; many of us knew you guys were damned tough and nothing was taken for granted. We wanted that game very badly and it was a heartbreaking loss.

TheBisonator
February 23rd, 2006, 09:27 PM
For us, it used to be UND, and I'm afraid it will always be UND, regardless if we never play them.

Mountain Panther
February 23rd, 2006, 09:43 PM
It used to be Western Illinois. Now I would say either Southern Illinois or Youngstown State.

JoltinJoe
February 23rd, 2006, 10:57 PM

Good question.

NYU. :doh:

JoltinJoe
February 23rd, 2006, 11:02 PM
Too bad St. Mary's of California dropped football. If I remember correctly from my history, (as opposed to first hand witness), Fordham and St. Mary's had tremendous rivalry football games back in the 1920's into the 1950's. When FU reinstituted football, I thought they might try and reinstitute that rivalry. I'm surprised due to the lack if much I-AA presence on the West Coast that St. Mary's was not able to build a program.

Yes, St. Mary's was a storied rival of ours. Back in the day, Fordham/St. Mary's was huge nationwide. It was one of the few true East Coast/West Coast rivalries going.

We were sorry to see St. Mary's drop football a few years back. Many of us at Fordham wanted to see St. Mary's back on our schedule.

75TH ANNIVERSARY
St. Mary's pulled a stunner in '30 (http://sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2005/11/13/SPG3AFNF9A1.DTL&hw=football+St+Mary+Moraga&sn=001&sc=1000)

89rabbit
February 23rd, 2006, 11:07 PM
For us, it used to be UND, and I'm afraid it will always be UND, regardless if we never play them.

Give it a few more years and the kids in school won't have ever been to a UND vs NDSU game. For us too it was our old in-state foe USD, but the rivalry with NDSU seems to be getting stronger and the current students are leading the way.

leatherneck177
February 23rd, 2006, 11:13 PM
Big Time Rivals Are Probably:

- Illinois State University
- University of Northern Iowa

griz&beer
February 23rd, 2006, 11:18 PM
Come on now everyone knows the last time we played Boise, Super Dave lit em up during homecoming in Washington-Grizzly Stadium (this is the year after they went to the NC) and stomped their azzes 54-28!

This was 1995. Boise's last year in I-AA. I think if anyone should have the bad taste in their mouth....its the Broncos :rotateh:

OK I am wrong, that makes me feel better that we got them. They still took him out the year before, and cost us a NC.

UNH_ORACLE
February 24th, 2006, 07:58 AM
Oracle,

I know that Maine is now the season ending game, the biggest ice hockey rival and a member of UNH's all sports league. But I can't let go of UMass being the #1 rival. I think you'll find many "old timers" who share the same opinion.

Back during the Ice Age when I was in school, Maine was a traditional Homecoming opponent along with Vermont ( :eek: ) while UMass was the season ending game. Looking at some UNH History, it appears UMass-UNH finished the season starting in 1953 and other than in 1954 did so through the 1993 season. After that the YanCon/A-10 started juggling schedules. During the mid 70's there were three consecutive games with the Yankee Conference Crown and auto-bid to the eight team D-II Tournament on the line. The feeling always was that the conference crown and playoff bids had to be won against UMass.

Personally, I wasn't on board for all 40 years of those season ending battles, only 25 years! :p But those 25 years have instilled a feeling that UMass was UNH's biggest football rival. It's going to take a few epic battles with Maine with A-10 crowns and playoff bids on the line in that last game to win over the old timers.

A few years ago I wandered into a gathering with alumni, family, faculty, administration, etc. after UNH had upset UMass. IIRC, UNH was under .500 even with the win, but you should have seen the happiness in that room. I don't think I've ever seen the same degree of celebration for a win over Maine. Maybe because Maine and UNH football tend to run in opposite cycles? But I think it stems from more of these people having ties back to the days when Southeastern NH was much, much more rural and having more similarity with the other parts of NH than it does today. Back then, "big brother" to the South was known as Taxachusetts and the land of uncontrolled spending. The Granite Staters took great pride in being the anti-Taxachusetts and savored every moment they could tweak Big Brother's nose!

I'd be interested in views from the UMass folks because maybe they didn't see the UNH game as big a rivalry game as the Granite Staters did. I'm guessing that back in those old days, you did Homecoming with URI and UConn. And IIRC you might have even played Holy Cross or Boston College after UNH. And Holy Cross in those days was a very different program then today, much higher level of play. Warning: Don't ever broach the subject around any HC old timers!!

I dont know alum, seeing that musket hanging in the locker room everyday was one of the better feelings for me, UMASS is also a great rivalry but MAINE always left us with a bad taste and it is now the traditional final game of the season, making it the rivalry in my eyes.

Ken_Z
February 24th, 2006, 08:45 AM
we don't have a great rival. in my day, we were supposed to say it was lafayette, but it was hard to buy that when lehigh/ lafayette would clearly dwarf any concern they had about us. current administration would like it to be colgate. they were assigned as bucknell's couterpart for basketball rivalry weekend games this year, but you can't dictate a rivalry it has to emerge and take on a life on its own.

colgate13
February 24th, 2006, 08:55 AM
current administration would like it to be colgate.

You've got to get better at football and we've got to get better at basketball before that ever happens.

We are turning into nice rivals in women's swimming though! xlolx

Go...gate
February 24th, 2006, 09:32 AM
Didn't Bucknell have a pretty good rivalry with Gettysburg? I'm thinking '50's and '60's now.

Maroon&White
February 24th, 2006, 09:49 AM

URI is definitely a long-standing rival in most UMass sports, but for football, if UMass has any rival I'd say it's UNH. Nobody get alarmed by me saying 'if UMass has any rival', I meant it as in there's no huge rivalry game like other schools have.

I personally get most excited for the UNH and Maine games. Maybe some people would say UD but that'd be dumb in my opinion. When the series is that lop-sided I can't realistically call it a rivalry. Kind of like UMass/UCon in basketball, they beat UMass so much it's not a rivalry.

Ken_Z
February 24th, 2006, 10:35 AM
You've got to get better at football and we've got to get better at basketball before that ever happens.

We are turning into nice rivals in women's swimming though! xlolx

actually, the pres would probably prefer that it were in the usn&wr rankings.

hopefully we respond to the women's swimming debacle by going scholly in all sports. HC is happy w/ bball schollys, but they may rue the day they started the arms race. they struggle enough in non reveune sports already.

Ken_Z
February 24th, 2006, 10:38 AM
Didn't Bucknell have a pretty good rivalry with Gettysburg? I'm thinking '50's and '60's now.

that's well before my time so i can neither confirm nor deny. seems likely enough though based on what i learned in my ancient history course xlolx

GannonFan
February 24th, 2006, 10:41 AM
Wow, a Bucknell poster. Will wonders never cease? Welcome aboard.

blukeys
February 24th, 2006, 10:48 AM
Very interesting! I didn't know the Tubster and D.N. had a bone to pick!

DN was angry at Colgate in '77. He didn't have a problem with Tubby. Tubby just held the grudge longer. He brought it up on a WDEL show before the '03 NC game.

Ken_Z
February 24th, 2006, 10:50 AM
Wow, a Bucknell poster. Will wonders never cease? Welcome aboard.

thanks, although i've been here before and post occasionally. maybe next year the team will give me reason to post during the season. "Bucknell trounces Colgate in rivalry matchup" sounds like a good 2006 topic to me. :)

carney2
February 24th, 2006, 10:51 AM
After the hawks, I'd say
2. Princeton (don't know why, guess because we never win)
3. Colgate (same, good games too)
4. Bucknell
5. Penn maybe?

In ancient times number two would have been Rutgers. Lafayette, Lehigh and Rutgers were the "Middle Three." (Harvard, Princeton and Yale were the "Big Three," and Amherst, Wesleyan and Williams were the "Little Three.") That was before the memory of anyone posting to this board, however.

I have a hard time agreeing with Mr. 4Life on any of the above. Honestly, Pards, does your blood ever really boil over any animal, warrior, whatever - even a little bit - like it does over those Chickensquawks? Oh yeah, there are year to year "big games" like the last two years vs. Colgate when we were both in the hunt, and wouldn't it be great to see a victory over Princeton before you die, but a rivalry requires some give and take. Three of the four that you mention (Princeton, Colgate and Penn) are so historically one-sided as to be laughable.

blukeys
February 24th, 2006, 11:06 AM
This is the first I have ever heard that Colgate made such plans - pretty disappointing and low-rent on our part. Was that Colgate's administration? John Morris was the Interim President then. I can't imagine Fred Dunlap ever being happy with such arrangements.

What is funny is that Colgate had been on the wrong end of that kind of treatment from Rutgers for several years after Frank Burns became their coach in 1973. Burns was insulted to be on the same field with us and, along with his players, shot his mouth off about Colgate not being a worthy opponent.

Our response was give it right back, but on the field, and to beat the sh-t out of Rutgers, which we did - even though they were probably moving ahead of us a bit by the mid to late 1970's. So for us to turn around and disrespect Delaware was really bad. It also sounds like you guys have not forgotten, and no one can blame you for that. Rest assured, however, that you made your point.

I don't think such a pompous attitude reflected the core Colgate fan base. Hell, I was at that game, and knew nothing about any such celebration; many of us knew you guys were damned tough and nothing was taken for granted. We wanted that game very badly and it was a heartbreaking loss.

It was never clear in the published reports if the request was made by Colgate administration or some group associated with Colgate maybe some boosters.

I'm sure Tubby made the most of the request to get the team fired up.

The only reason I remember it is that I was at the game and remembered the build up including the request by ABC to change the game to a night game with ABC picking up the tab for portable lights.

I don't think UD fans look on Colgate's core fans as pompous. As I said originally the only person I have heard react negatively towards Colgate Was Tubby Raymond and he is the one who brought up the '77 story. I have paraphrased some of his sentiments that I heard on a local radio show from 2003. Tubby does seem to have a long memory and obviously some things he just doesn't forget.

MarkCCU
February 24th, 2006, 11:09 AM
Well after last years game, i'd say a good rival for ole CCU is gonna be CSU. and possibly even SCSU.

RadMann
February 24th, 2006, 11:28 AM
Darn, if you are going back to the 50's and 60's then Delaware and Bucknell were big rivals in those days. UD regularly played Lafayette, Lehigh, Temple, Rutgers, Bucknell and the like back then....

blukeys
February 24th, 2006, 11:47 AM
Darn, if you are going back to the 50's and 60's then Delaware and Bucknell were big rivals in those days. UD regularly played Lafayette, Lehigh, Temple, Rutgers, Bucknell and the like back then....

Correct, the '62 UD - Bucknell game determined the Lambert Cup. The much anticipated rematch in '63 was canceled due to JFK's assassination.

bluehenbillk
February 24th, 2006, 11:58 AM
blukeys-

Actually you got 1/2 of the '77 Colgate game story right. ABC wanted to move the game to a 4pm start & since the Tub didn't have lights back then they wanted UD to play the game at Veterans Stadium, to which UD quickly said thanks but no thanks.

colgate13
February 24th, 2006, 12:17 PM
HC is happy w/ bball schollys, but they may rue the day they started the arms race. they struggle enough in non reveune sports already.

1000% true!

HC already experienced some of it with ice hockey. They wanted in the ECAC and were denied in favour of Quinnipiac because, from what I gather, they didn't want to commit the money for the women's team (it was a men's and women's deal).

Ronbo
February 24th, 2006, 12:28 PM

We played Boise State in 1995 and beat them 54-28, that was our last game with Boise State.

blukeys
February 24th, 2006, 12:41 PM
blukeys-

Actually you got 1/2 of the '77 Colgate game story right. ABC wanted to move the game to a 4pm start & since the Tub didn't have lights back then they wanted UD to play the game at Veterans Stadium, to which UD quickly said thanks but no thanks.

Thanks bhbk, I do remember Nelson's quote that there was no way they were going to take the game off campus.

I do remember a written account saying that portable lights at the Tub were an option. That may have been some writer's speculation or reliance on an uninformed source. Now that we are 29 years away from the event my memories tend to coincide.

HiHiYikas
February 24th, 2006, 03:31 PM
from I-AA.org's Churck Burton:

Rival: The Mountaineers don't have one rivalry for the ages; they have three. Georgia Southern is always a huge game, generally with SoCon titles on the line - not to mention a healthy amount of "championship envy". Furman is an even bigger game, punctuated by crazy finishes and seething Paladin hatred. But beating Western Carolina for the "Old Mountain Jug" is the biggest rivalry of all - best of all for Mountaineer fans, App St. holds a 49-18-1 overall series lead in this rivalry. (With a record like that, isn't that kind of like saying that the Harlem Globetrotters have a "rivalry" with the Washington Generals?)

http://www.i-aa.org/article.asp?articleid=72014

I would like to see the rivalry with Western a little closer than it is, but who really wants fewer wins for his own team?

foghorn
February 24th, 2006, 04:21 PM
Blukeys, my recollection is that ABC wanted the site changed from Del. Stadium to either the Vet or Franklin Field so it could be broadcast live at night, without a schedule conflict. Dave Nelson nixed it because he said our season ticket holders would be upset since they most likely had already made plans for that date and time. ABC was purported to offer to pay each team $500k to broadcast that game. Colgate would not renew the series after the contract ran out a couple years later.
I'd like to see that series renewed. Colgate and Lehigh, to me, represent the best of the Patriot League.

Go...gate
February 24th, 2006, 04:29 PM
Resumption of Colgate-Delaware would be a great idea. I remember the 1979 game in Hamilton (UD won 24-16 on the way to the Division II National Championship). Brunner was absolutely terrific. It was as competitive a game as you would ever want to see.

blackfordpu
February 24th, 2006, 08:48 PM
We just generally hate anybody purple.

Same for the Kats, which means we automatically hate UCA even though we really have no other reason to. SFA is our biggest rivelry right now with Texas State not too far behind.

ekufbfan
February 25th, 2006, 07:45 AM
In conference: Western Ill or Illinois State (although Youngstown would beg to differ on that)

Out of conference: EKU

Yeah, we don't like you either.

*******EDITED FOR SMACK***********************

Keep the smack off the discussion board please.

bonarae
February 26th, 2006, 12:09 AM
Essentially all of them (the Ivy League teams), but YALE is the most storied of all the rivalries that we have.

Big Dawg
February 26th, 2006, 12:33 AM
Personally I'd have the say...

The Big Blue Tigers of Tennessee St. (loved those old scholl pics)
Those Southern University Jaguars;)

and our in-state rivals down at Bethune Cookman(we only "hate" them during that weekend) although some are a little different.

crunifan
February 26th, 2006, 02:08 AM
Iowa and Iowa State, many UNI fans enjoy seeing these two lose even reguardless of who they play.

In conference: SIU

Husky Alum
February 26th, 2006, 08:37 AM
A school with a noticeable lack of FB tradition like NU hasn't been able to develop true rvialries (because the hammer doesn't consider the nail a rival).

Also, local schools have been loathe to play us - for Chrissakes when Boston U had football, the only way we played them was when we FINALLY got in the Yankee Conference. Then once we started playing them again, they ditched football.

We tried to start something with Harvard but they didn't renew the contract after it expired in 2004.

However with L'Affaire Don Brown, most NU fans would claim UMass as the "rivalry" game nowadays.

Maroon&White
February 26th, 2006, 10:56 AM
However with L'Affaire Don Brown, most NU fans would claim UMass as the "rivalry" game nowadays.

Shouldn't the series be competitive for it to be a rivalry? You did put rivalry in quotation though.

AndrewFU21
February 26th, 2006, 05:18 PM
For me, especially having grown up in North Carolina and knowing a lot of people that go there, the most hated is Appalachian State. While they definitely hate Western more than they hate us, and they aren't necessarily our traditional rival like the Citadel is, the Furman/App games over the last five years have been some of the closest and most intense in the country. The semifinal game up in Boone and the interactions I had with some of their fans there really make me want to beat the piss out of them next year.

Killtoppers90
February 27th, 2006, 08:59 AM
Yeah, we don't like you either.

*******EDITED FOR SMACK***********************

Keep the smack off the discussion board please.

Who said ANYTHING about like?

Bub
February 27th, 2006, 10:32 AM
Traditionally Dayton has been Drake's big rival. However as of late San Diego has joined the mix too. I'd put them at #1 & #2 as rivals. Always good, close games. Last two seasons the games were decided by a touchdown or less, often coming down to the final play. We play Dayton there next year, with San Diego coming to "Johnny Bright Field at Drake Stadium".

bcrawf
February 27th, 2006, 03:08 PM
UNI has a traditional rival in SMS or now Missouri State. Bear Week used to be legendary and with the new developments it will be again.

However, Southern Illinois has become more of a rival because they have been decent the past few years unlike Missouri St.

dbackjon
February 27th, 2006, 03:51 PM
NAU really doesn't have a true rival - much like Northern Colorado.

In pre-Big Sky days, it would have been Arizona and Arizona State, but as they grew, and moved up in the world, that has decreased.

If Southern Utah could ever get their act together, they would be a good rival.

Cap'n Cat
February 27th, 2006, 04:40 PM
Like someone said above, it used to be WIU. Now, it's SIU and, more and more, Youngstown.

Sly Fox
February 27th, 2006, 07:08 PM
Back when I was in school we were building a nice rivalry with JMU. But that was years ago and we're not even a blip on their radar these days. But perhaps by the time we renew our rivalry the next few years that will change.

While true rivalries should be 2-way streets, we've been building a nice little dose of animosity with VMI. Obviously they have their history with The Citadel. But we're developing a nice atmosphere surrounding that game.

And to a lesser extent, we have a bit of a budding rivalry with Coastal Carolina. We've only been playing a few years and we're quite a fe wmiles apart. But its becoming more and more of a focus on our schedule each year replacing G-W.

EagleCrusade
February 27th, 2006, 08:48 PM
Elon is always a game in which tensions are high and hostilities are rampant!

JALMOND
February 28th, 2006, 12:14 AM
For Portland State it is good to see our former DII rival, Davis, coming into I-AA. Great games in the past that hopefully can continue in I-AA. So far, the I-AA games have not been disappointing.

As far as in conference, to my fellow posters at NAU and UNC who are looking for a conference rival, I say "Does anyone outside of Montana really like the Grizzlies??!!" The PSU-UM game has become a rivalry out here because of the success of the Grizzlies since our time in I-AA. Also partially due to the success that legendary coach Don Read had at both schools. Judging from the fracas at the basketball game last weekend, this rivalry has now advanced to other conference sports as well.

Of course this is not on par with Cat-Griz, but Montana football is similar to Gonzaga basketball in that other conference foes have no problem getting "up" for the game.

JoltinJoe
February 28th, 2006, 05:44 AM
WANTED: A I-AA rival for Fordham. We're willing to hate you, if you're willing to hate us -- and really mean it.

We had our rivals back in the day.

The St. Mary's game was huge nationwide, but St. Mary's no longer plays football.

NYU was "THE" game every season and it filled Yankee Stadium to capacity. But NYU no longer plays football.

We had solid rivalries with Purdue and Pitt, but they have maintained big-time status while the Jesuits who ran Fordham in the post-war era determined that football was not an intellectual pursuit.

So let me say this to Georgetown, our most-played opponent: You suck, Hoyas.

Interested?

McNeese72
February 28th, 2006, 07:39 AM
McNeese is the logical answer for a pretty heated rivalry but I doubt it will ever grow more than what it is.

It seems in the SLC the rivalries are Nicholls-SLU, SHSU-SFA, TxStUnivSan Marcos-SHSU. McNeese-NSU would be the obvious choice but it just hasn't materialized.

One reason on our end, for the older McNeese fans, nothing can ever replace the McNeese/USL(ULL) rivalry.

blukeys
February 28th, 2006, 08:25 AM
WANTED: A I-AA rival for Fordham. We're willing to hate you, if you're willing to hate us -- and really mean it.

We had our rivals back in the day.

The St. Mary's game was huge nationwide, but St. Mary's no longer plays football.

NYU was "THE" game every season and it filled Yankee Stadium to capacity. But NYU no longer plays football.

We had solid rivalries with Purdue and Pitt, but they have maintained big-time status while the Jesuits who ran Fordham in the post-war era determined that football was not an intellectual pursuit.

So let me say this to Georgetown, our most-played opponent: You suck, Hoyas.

Interested?

Hofstra would appear to be a natural. Are you guys aware that they are there on the Island?:)

colgate13
February 28th, 2006, 09:23 AM
Hofstra would appear to be a natural. Are you guys aware that they are there on the Island?:)

Columbia would be the natural.

Fordham
February 28th, 2006, 09:52 AM
You suck, Hoyas.

I'll confirm that they suck out loud and stink on ice. let's get it on hoyas!

and, re: Hofstra, I agree it's a natural rivalry. That too was discussed on our board and there some comments that prior to joining the A10, Hofstra either wanted or was actually close to getting a PL invite (or both) and were blocked by us. The resulting bad blood has supposedly kept us from playing one another since. Not sure of the validity but it would explain why we haven't played them after they were a fairly consistent opponent of our from the 80's through early 90's. One part of a rivarly, though, is clearly having it be competitive and until we produce much more consistent results (and possibly until the PL goes scholly), I'm not sure that this matchup would fulfill that aspect of a 'rivalry'.

Columbia is interesting too. They're certainly our biggest NY metro area rival right now and we even have the Liberty Cup to fight over. Just not sure that hatred is there, though. Plus, I think we're a little Ivy weary (or maybe it's just me). As much as we want them on our skid (for me personally at least), I'm fed up of trying to be an Ivy wannabe. I'd much prefer to have us fire it up with G-town and chart a new course that is the PL with highly competitive athletics instead of second fiddle by trying to mimick those guys (we'll never do it better than them at the same exact game).

igo4uni
February 28th, 2006, 11:10 PM
Traditionally Dayton has been Drake's big rival. However as of late San Diego has joined the mix too. I'd put them at #1 & #2 as rivals. Always good, close games. Last two seasons the games were decided by a touchdown or less, often coming down to the final play. We play Dayton there next year, with San Diego coming to "Johnny Bright Field at Drake Stadium".

Don't forget who else is coming to Des Moines next year. Perhaps we are not the greatest of rivals in football, but I always like to see Drake win when they don't play UNI.

igo4uni
February 28th, 2006, 11:12 PM
UNI has a traditional rival in SMS or now Missouri State. Bear Week used to be legendary and with the new developments it will be again.

However, Southern Illinois has become more of a rival because they have been decent the past few years unlike Missouri St.

We sure seem to have SIU's number as of late. It will be interesting to see what Terry Allen can do at Missouri State. If they start to develop a good program, an intense rivalry will develop.

Bub
February 28th, 2006, 11:14 PM
Don't forget who else is coming to Des Moines next year. Perhaps we are not the greatest of rivals in football, but I always like to see Drake win when they don't play UNI.

Can't forget the Panthers! That day will be a great event and I hope a huge turnout. Definitely looking forward to it. I pull for the Panthers when Drake isn't the opponent.

SactoHornetFan
March 1st, 2006, 10:00 AM
ucdavis (Causeway Classic)
Cal Poly (The Green and Gold Game)
In conference, I would say that there is bad blood between us and Eastern for football and volleyball, in men's hoops, the games the past four years against Weber State are starting to stoke a huge fire for both schools.

bigchocolate
March 1st, 2006, 03:29 PM
Well after last years game, i'd say a good rival for ole CCU is gonna be CSU. and possibly even SCSU.

Definitely SCSU after that can of whip _ss they will deliver in conway in 2006. Yes, the Bigchocolate is back!

DUPFLFan
March 1st, 2006, 04:40 PM
IGO said

IGO - in order to have a rivalry, there should be competition. If the score is close this year, then we have a rivalry.

If it is like last year, it's a paycheck game...

The Gadfly
March 1st, 2006, 07:35 PM
Citadel vs. Coastal : THE BATTLE FOR THE CARPETBAG

The Gadfly
March 1st, 2006, 07:40 PM
Definitely SCSU after that can of whip _ss they will deliver in conway in 2006. Yes, the Bigchocolate is back!

I thought that was suppose to happen in the O-burg? Now you think it's gonna happen in our house? mmmmmmright. Hope you enjoy yourself. :beerchug:

JoltinJoe
March 1st, 2006, 08:41 PM
I'll confirm that they suck out loud and stink on ice. let's get it on hoyas!

and, re: Hofstra, I agree it's a natural rivalry. That too was discussed on our board and there some comments that prior to joining the A10, Hofstra either wanted or was actually close to getting a PL invite (or both) and were blocked by us. The resulting bad blood has supposedly kept us from playing one another since. Not sure of the validity but it would explain why we haven't played them after they were a fairly consistent opponent of our from the 80's through early 90's. One part of a rivarly, though, is clearly having it be competitive and until we produce much more consistent results (and possibly until the PL goes scholly), I'm not sure that this matchup would fulfill that aspect of a 'rivalry'.

Columbia is interesting too. They're certainly our biggest NY metro area rival right now and we even have the Liberty Cup to fight over. Just not sure that hatred is there, though. Plus, I think we're a little Ivy weary (or maybe it's just me). As much as we want them on our skid (for me personally at least), I'm fed up of trying to be an Ivy wannabe. I'd much prefer to have us fire it up with G-town and chart a new course that is the PL with highly competitive athletics instead of second fiddle by trying to mimick those guys (we'll never do it better than them at the same exact game).

Hofstra is a no go. I doubt we will schedule Hofstra for the foreseeable future. Hofstra gets very little press/attention in the New York media and I doubt we're going to help them out in that regard.

Columbia, well, you just can't get a real rivalry going with an Ivy League team unless you are Ivy League yourself.

Sure, I know you'll say, what about Colgate and Cornell? But as anyone from Colgate will gladly tell you, Cornell just isn't really Ivy League material.

Or as a Colgate grad I work puts its, "The Ivy League is a conference consisting of the seven Ivy League schools .... and Cornell."