PDA

View Full Version : Des Kitchings new OC at Furman

PaladinFan
January 17th, 2011, 02:56 PM
Bruce Fowler annouced the hiring of Former Paladin and All-American Des Kitchings as the new Paladin Offensive Coordinator. Bit of a suprise to me as I was under the impression that Tim Sorells was keeping the job.

Kitchings was a former tightends coach with the Paladins during the Ingle Martin years (when Furman had some great pass catchers) and then went on to be running backs coach and interim OC at Vandy for three years.

Another Vanderbilt assistant back to Furman. It appears that Bobby Johnson's retirement from the Commodores has opened the door for their assistants to make their way back to Furman. Can't say it's bad to have a bunch of guys with SEC experience running both the offense and defense.

magnolialeague
January 17th, 2011, 03:57 PM
Good luck to Fowler. He was an excellent DC at Vanderbilt. On the offensive side, these fellas were in over their head in the SEC. The staff lost a fair amount of OOC games as well, but the defense was not the issue.

PaladinFan
January 17th, 2011, 07:56 PM
Good luck to Fowler. He was an excellent DC at Vanderbilt. On the offensive side, these fellas were in over their head in the SEC. The staff lost a fair amount of OOC games as well, but the defense was not the issue.

You start looking at some of the players Fowler produced at Vandy. Fairly impressive given its Vanderbilt.

insideout08
January 17th, 2011, 08:10 PM
Bruce Fowler annouced the hiring of Former Paladin and All-American Des Kitchings as the new Paladin Offensive Coordinator. Bit of a suprise to me as I was under the impression that Tim Sorells was keeping the job.

Kitchings was a former tightends coach with the Paladins during the Ingle Martin years (when Furman had some great pass catchers) and then went on to be running backs coach and interim OC at Vandy for three years.

Another Vanderbilt assistant back to Furman. It appears that Bobby Johnson's retirement from the Commodores has opened the door for their assistants to make their way back to Furman. Can't say it's bad to have a bunch of guys with SEC experience running both the offense and defense.

You need to head over to uffp2.com for the inside info. I don't think anyone over there thought Coach Sorrells would still be the OC, and Des has been unofficially reported as the guy for a week or so.

I like it - hope he does well and hope we can keep him.

PaladinNation
January 17th, 2011, 09:00 PM
Des, appears to be one of the young coaches on the rise. And this is a great-get by Bruce Fowler. Des was a great receiver but also had some great performances running the ball during his career.

I would look for Des to bring a lot of energy and diversity to the offense, something that's been lacking the last several years.

And based on the early list of commitments hiring Bruce is paying off, and the Atlanta connection appears as strong as ever..

Justin Floyd OL 6-5 290 Cartersville, GA 3 star chose FU over Southern Miss, Memphis, Kentucky
Ira McCune DE 6-2.5 250 Hillgrove, GA 2 star chose FU over Air Force, Illinois State, NC ST
John Mackey DE 6-2 220 Baylor School, TN chose FU over Air Force

PaladinFan
January 18th, 2011, 07:38 AM
Des, appears to be one of the young coaches on the rise. And this is a great-get by Bruce Fowler. Des was a great receiver but also had some great performances running the ball during his career.

I would look for Des to bring a lot of energy and diversity to the offense, something that's been lacking the last several years.

And based on the early list of commitments hiring Bruce is paying off, and the Atlanta connection appears as strong as ever..

Justin Floyd OL 6-5 290 Cartersville, GA 3 star chose FU over Southern Miss, Memphis, Kentucky
Ira McCune DE 6-2.5 250 Hillgrove, GA 2 star chose FU over Air Force, Illinois State, NC ST
John Mackey DE 6-2 220 Baylor School, TN chose FU over Air Force

I disagree with you on one point. I think our offense, if anything, has been too diverse. You go watch a Furman game and you can see virtually every offensive formation the human mind has created. It all struck me as a grand plan to confuse defenses (which it rarely did).

When Kitchings was here, our offense was called "multiple." Recently our offense has been more accurately called "everything." In the mid-2000s Furman had one of the top offenses in the country, and that wasn't solely a product of Ingle Martin. They didn't do all of this "where's the ball?" The lined it up, and ran over you. When you tried to keep them from doing that, they threw it past you. Great backs, possession receivers, mobile quarterbacks, and a cantankerous offensive line. That was Furman football.

I hope to see it again.

PaladinNation
January 18th, 2011, 11:26 AM
Paladin Fan, I agree the Furman offense under BL tried to do too much.

By Multiple I mean the sets that Furman ran under the guidance of Napier, Hill, Martin… those offenses would run you over, hit the corner and the passing game used the damn tight end.