PDA

View Full Version : Stony Brook up to 7 transfers, 1 GIA

Redwyn
January 13th, 2011, 06:43 PM
http://www.goseawolves.org/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/011311aaa.html

Somewhat worried about the transfer emphasis, but we don't lose a whole lot this season. Our offense generally returns intact, so I can understand the emphasis on O and D line in transfers.

Anyone else see this type of heavy influx of 2 year players, or is it indicative of a school's developmental trend (not getting high quality 4 year players, so resorting to transfers as frosh class quality improves based on on field results)?

DFW HOYA
January 13th, 2011, 06:55 PM
Anyone else see this type of heavy influx of 2 year players, or is it indicative of a school's developmental trend (not getting high quality 4 year players, so resorting to transfers as frosh class quality improves based on on field results)?

I think it varies by school and the perception that there is (or is not) an open door for the second chance. You see it in basketball as well. UNC never took a lot of transfers but UNLV always did.

In FB, Georgetown rarely gets transfers and they rarely make an major impact. I can count two, maybe three transfers that have even started in the last 10 years. Either the PL takes a dim view of transfers, players take a dim view of the PL, or they otherwise can't get admitted.

Seawolf97
January 13th, 2011, 08:26 PM
I think we had 10 who will graduate so if my math is right we still have 3 scholarships to give. Not sure how a grant in aid works but several other sports at SBU have been giving them this year also. I would rather see some freshman come in for the long term and develop ovetime.

Lehigh Football Nation
January 13th, 2011, 10:46 PM
Villanova is another program that doesn't get a lot of transfers. Not sure if it's a private/academic thing or no.

danefan
January 14th, 2011, 08:55 AM
JUCOs and Transfers aren't really the same in my eyes. JUCO guys generally needed two years to get their academics right, similar to prep school kids. Albany has always had a pretty solid prep school and JUCO influx with schools like Hudson Valley CC, Valley Forge, Bridgton, etc...

They just don't issue a news release and/or separate them out from the general recruiting class.

Seawolf97
January 15th, 2011, 10:05 AM
Anyone shed any light on the difference between a scholarship athlete and one who receives a grant in aid? I think womens softball just signed a recruit to a GIA as did baseball.

danefan
January 17th, 2011, 02:17 PM
Anyone shed any light on the difference between a scholarship athlete and one who receives a grant in aid? I think womens softball just signed a recruit to a GIA as did baseball.

Its the difference between the Patriot League and the rest of the scholarship FCS.

Grant-in-aids are generally limited to particular financial need parameters.
Schoalrships are purely based on athletics without looking at financial need.

The NCAA sees them both the same for scholarship limits.
Title IX is a different story though. Some schools don't see grant-in-aids in the Title IX equation (e.g. most Patriot League schools).

Franks Tanks
January 17th, 2011, 02:29 PM
Its the difference between the Patriot League and the rest of the scholarship FCS.

Title IX is a different story though. Some schools don't see grant-in-aids in the Title IX equation (e.g. most Patriot League schools).

Sadly that is correct. If our football aid was counted as scholarship dollars most PL schools arent far off for real title IX compliance. One of Lafayette's former trustees and a major athletic donor, especially for womens sports, calculated that it would take only 1.2 million more to give 63 full rides for football and pay for the resulting womens scholarships. Yes, that is still a good chunk of money, but it is a fraction of the college's overall operating budget.

I suspect many schools that offer scholarships in football and basketball have grant in aid packages for other sports like Lacrosse or baseball/softball.

Seawolf97
January 17th, 2011, 09:11 PM

Gotcha thanks !