PDA

View Full Version : Furman announces 2011 Schedule

PaladinFan
January 13th, 2011, 07:47 AM
A lot of the usual suspects. If your team has a tougher last six games of the season, I'd like to see it.

Sept. 3 @ Coastal Carolina
Sept. 10 @ The Citadel*
Sept. 17 Open
Sept. 24 PRESBYTERIAN (Family Weekend), 1:00 p.m.
Oct. 1 @ Western Carolina*
Oct. 8 SAMFORD*
Oct. 15 @ Georgia Southern*
Oct. 22 WOFFORD* (Homecoming), 2:00 p.m.
Oct. 29 @ Chattanooga*
Nov. 5 APPALACHIAN STATE*
Nov. 12 ELON*
Nov. 19 @ Florida

Eaglesrus
January 13th, 2011, 09:08 AM
Just noticed that we play the exact same teams, even OOC, except that y'all end the season at Florida and we end it at Alabama. Good luck to the Paladins, except on October 15th, of course.

T-Dog
January 13th, 2011, 04:06 PM
Fun fact. With Wofford @ Furman on 10/22 and GSU @ Wofford on 11/12, this means for the first time in at least 15+ years, App will not play Wofford/Marshall, GSU and Furman in a row.

EDIT: 1992 was the last time, the year before GSU joined the SoCon.

GeauxLions94
January 13th, 2011, 04:31 PM
A lot of the usual suspects. If your team has a tougher last six games of the season, I'd like to see it.

Sept. 3 @ Coastal Carolina
Sept. 10 @ The Citadel*
Sept. 17 Open
Sept. 24 PRESBYTERIAN (Family Weekend), 1:00 p.m.
Oct. 1 @ Western Carolina*
Oct. 8 SAMFORD*
Oct. 15 @ Georgia Southern*
Oct. 22 WOFFORD* (Homecoming), 2:00 p.m.
Oct. 29 @ Chattanooga*
Nov. 5 APPALACHIAN STATE*
Nov. 12 ELON*
Nov. 19 @ Florida

Hey, that FU/UF game falls on my anniversary ... oh wifey, how about a road trip to Gainesville?

Reign of Terrier
January 13th, 2011, 04:34 PM
not a good idea to have Wofford as your homecoming game :)

T-Dog
January 13th, 2011, 04:46 PM
not a good idea to have Wofford as your homecoming game :)

Halloween game....yes.
Homecoming...no

Reign of Terrier
January 13th, 2011, 04:50 PM
Halloween game....yes.
Homecoming...no

It's Furman not App state :)

whoanellie
January 13th, 2011, 07:09 PM
someone is learning not to schedule Elon for their Homecomings

insideout08
January 13th, 2011, 07:41 PM
I don't think anyone at our level schedules homecoming as an "easy win" anymore. It just has to do with which weekend that the university wants to host the event.

PaladinFan
January 14th, 2011, 07:07 AM
I don't think anyone at our level schedules homecoming as an "easy win" anymore. It just has to do with which weekend that the university wants to host the event.

Usually around the same weekend every year. Furman, maybe unlike other schools, simply doesn't care. Many times homecoming rotates between UTC, Samford, and Elon because those games happen to fall in late October/early November. However, in 2004 #3 Furman played #2 GSU for homecoming. After that, I realized the "schedule an easy win" wasn't really a point of emphasis for the Athletic Department.

AshevilleApp2
January 14th, 2011, 09:05 AM
Brutal schedule. Good luck.

BlueHenSinfonian
January 14th, 2011, 09:13 AM
It's certainly possible to open up 5-0 with that schedule, but wow, that second half is a killer.

GaSouthern
January 14th, 2011, 09:51 AM
Pretty cool that we have the same schedules except for Florida/Alabama.

EDIT:
Also interesting that Florida is playing App/Furman/ GSU after each other. Maybe they wanna join the SoCon again ;)

PaladinFan
January 14th, 2011, 10:29 AM
It's certainly possible to open up 5-0 with that schedule, but wow, that second half is a killer.

Really depends on the other schools and their schedules. It looks brutal at first blush, but may be a little less so after seeing that the other conference teams have similar gauntlets in on their slates.

Fact of the matter is, there aren't really any easy games in the SoCon anymore. It used to be a matter of only needing to show up once or twice a season. While not all of those teams are Top 10 teams, most are plenty good enough to beat you if you come out flat.

While I agree that Furman will be favored throughout the first five games, the Paladins have a long history of struggling to beat the Citadel in Charleston, so I guess it's good to get that one out of the way. If you are going to only have five homegames, we got the five homegames we wanted.

GaSouthern
January 14th, 2011, 04:08 PM
If you are going to only have five homegames, we got the five homegames we wanted.

So you are saying you WANT to play @ Paulson???? ;)

FCS_pwns_FBS
January 15th, 2011, 02:00 PM
The GSU-Furman game in mid-October? That'll feel kind of strange. Might be the warmest game the series has had in a long time.

PaladinFan
January 15th, 2011, 10:08 PM
So you are saying you WANT to play @ Paulson???? ;)

Considering the SoCon doesn't put any of the big three with home games against the other two, I'd rather have App State in Greenville.

It took a while, but Furman has kind of shrugged the "Paulson monkey" off their backs. I don't know the exact records, but I think we've played better down there against the Eagles than we have in Greenville.

seantaylor
January 16th, 2011, 12:19 AM
Considering the SoCon doesn't put any of the big three with home games against the other two, I'd rather have App State in Greenville.

It took a while, but Furman has kind of shrugged the "Paulson monkey" off their backs. I don't know the exact records, but I think we've played better down there against the Eagles than we have in Greenville.

Beating VG and Hatcher means nothing. Those two fools would get beaten by Statesboro High School.

OL FU
January 16th, 2011, 09:31 AM
Glad to see CCU back on the schedule. Other than the score, I enjoyed the last trip to Conway.

OL FU
January 16th, 2011, 11:29 AM
BTW, I see 6-5 and I hope I am wrong in the opposite direction that was wrong in 2010

BossEagle
January 18th, 2011, 09:23 AM
Beating VG and Hatcher means nothing. Those two fools would get beaten by Statesboro High School.

Anyone would They're that good!!!;)

Still though....

PaladinFan
January 18th, 2011, 11:00 AM

Furman shrugged off the Paulson voodoo hex in the semi-finals a number of years ago. The series has been about as even as any in the SoCon over the last 10 or so years.

Again, given the option of playing App State at home and GSU on the road, or App on the road and GSU at home, I take the former every day of the week.

henfan
January 18th, 2011, 11:17 AM
So, what's the buyout on the Coastal game?xlolx

I keed. Looks like a solid schedule.