PDA

View Full Version : Fordham's Masella to UConn as the DC?

Fordham83
January 12th, 2011, 01:01 PM
Mark Whipple looks to be frontrunner for UConn's HC

Fordham's Masella was Whipple's DC at UMass.... also Masella was head coach at Central Conn. and Boston U. so he would have good recruiting inroads in the NE.

http://articles.courant.com/2011-01-11/news/hc-uconn-football-whipple-0112-20110111_1_football-coach-whipple-quarterbacks-coach

dont know what Masella makes as HC at FU. id guess 200-250k.. dont know what pay range on OC or DC in the Big East would get.. random articles from 'net it would seem btwn 400k-700k... so if Whipple did want Masella -seems a jump for him salarywise.

anyone have good candidates if Fordham HC position opens up? .. we play 2 1A games in '11.. Ironically , UConn is opener and Army. we recently, started awarding scholarships class. for those unfamiliar with FU. good academic school, pretty campus -old stone bldgs.. however outside the campus -not a great area.. the one thing we offer that not many 1aa's can.. is NYC and all that it has to offer..

Fordham
January 12th, 2011, 01:43 PM
If something I opens up, I doubt we could get him but I'd be thrilled to hear of us reaching out to Brian White.

http://www.coachurbanmeyer.com/06/18/10/Brian-White/landing.html?blockID=256671&feedID=6492

CFBfan
January 12th, 2011, 01:52 PM
If something I opens up, I doubt we could get him but I'd be thrilled to hear of us reaching out to Brian White.

http://www.coachurbanmeyer.com/06/18/10/Brian-White/landing.html?blockID=256671&feedID=6492

how do Fordham fans feel about losing him if he does go??

Fordham
January 12th, 2011, 02:14 PM
how do Fordham fans feel about losing him if he does go??

I don't like speaking for others - I hope he stays but won't be devastated if he goes as long as it's onto a premium job like this. His efforts in getting administrative support for our move to scholarships has made this a much more attractive job than it would have been otherwise imo. He gets credit for that and it's also why I think there will be a great pool of candidates to choose from. If he gets a nice bump in salary and prestige, then good for him. He's a good guy imo.

The timing does worry me since I'd hate to see recruits waiver due to the change. Nonetheless, this stuff happens.

CFBfan
January 12th, 2011, 02:36 PM
I don't like speaking for others - I hope he stays but won't be devastated if he goes as long as it's onto a premium job like this. His efforts in getting administrative support for our move to scholarships has made this a much more attractive job than it would have been otherwise imo. He gets credit for that and it's also why I think there will be a great pool of candidates to choose from. If he gets a nice bump in salary and prestige, then good for him. He's a good guy imo.

The timing does worry me since I'd hate to see recruits waiver due to the change. Nonetheless, this stuff happens.

good feedback. I've had the opportunity to talk with Tom on several occasions and agree that he is a very good guy. Money aside, I wonder how he would feel about not seeing the fruits of scholarships.
BTW, you could do us GU fans a huge favor and take Kelly off our hands!! I'll even chip in for his salary for you!

umassfan
January 12th, 2011, 05:29 PM
I think his first pick would be Don Brown who is the D Coord at Maryland. Brown was the D coord with Whipp when he first came to UMass and has more of a past with him then Masella.

Fordham
January 12th, 2011, 06:29 PM
xrotatehxxrotatehxxrotatehx
I think his first pick would be Don Brown who is the D Coord at Maryland. Brown was the D coord with Whipp when he first came to UMass and has more of a past with him then Masella. is that a step up for Brown or is Brown now out since Edsall is now likely to take his coordinator with him since he wasn't considered for the UCONN job?

How bout that for a circuitous ripple effect? xrotatehx

umassfan
January 13th, 2011, 02:06 PM
xrotatehxxrotatehxxrotatehx is that a step up for Brown or is Brown now out since Edsall is now likely to take his coordinator with him since he wasn't considered for the UCONN job?

How bout that for a circuitous ripple effect? xrotatehx

Edsall kept Brown but I would think Brown would rather work with Whipple again then Edsall. Just my opinion

Franks Tanks
January 13th, 2011, 02:25 PM
Why would Wipple be dumb enough to hire Masella?

carney2
January 13th, 2011, 02:56 PM
Is there anything beyond the wildest of speculation to make us think that Masella is headed in this direction? To the best of my knowledge Whipple has not even been offered the UConn job. Don't you think this first shoe should fall before any of this wilda$$ talk begins?!!

Lehigh Football Nation
January 13th, 2011, 03:07 PM
Whipple is the leading candidate, I think it may be a done deal already, FWIW.

Fordham
January 13th, 2011, 05:01 PM
... Don't you think this first shoe should fall before any of this wilda$$ talk begins?!! you really want us to cull all wilda$$ talk from this message board? What will we be left with?!?

CFBfan
January 13th, 2011, 05:42 PM
Whipple is the leading candidate, I think it may be a done deal already, FWIW.

looks like it's not Whipple, looks like Paul Pasqualoni former Cuse head coach and current DC for the Dallas Cowboys

ngineer
January 13th, 2011, 06:44 PM
Whipple must have squoze the Charmin'...

umassfan
January 14th, 2011, 01:04 AM
Nah its because of who he wanted to hire as assistants. He wanted a staff full of former head coaches and it would have been too much $$$ for Uconn.