PDA

View Full Version : Delaware State Hornets Head Coaching Search

superman7515
January 8th, 2011, 05:46 PM
The Delaware State Hornets have offered the head coaching position to Mike Drass, head coach of the Wesley Wolverines. Career record 155-45-1 .771 (43-8 in conference .843) with 15 playoff wins since the 2005 season.

1 Gagliardi Trophy Winner
2 Lambert Meadowlands Trophies
2 ECAC Team of the Year Awards
3 Undefeated Regular Seasons
3 NCAA Division III South Region Championships
3 D3football.com South Region Players of the Year
5 Seasons of at least 10 wins
5 Associated Press All-Americans
6 Consecutive NCAA Appearances
6 Consecutive ACFC Championships
6 ECAC Bowl Appearances
7 NCAA Division III Playoff Appearances
7 ACFC Coach of the Year Awards
8 Undefeated ACFC Seasons
9 ACFC Championships
9 AFCA All-Americans
13 School Record for Wins in a season
15 NCAA Postseason wins
16 D3football.com All-Americans
32 Football Gazette All-Americans
40 Atlantic Central Football Conference Victories
63 ECAC All-Stars
143 Career Wins
170 All-ACFC Selections

If he accepts the position he could really turn that program around. Wesley just finished #3 in the nation this season and their only losses the last two years have been to the teams that made it to the National Championship (both UW-Whitewater & Mount Union have made the NC for 6 straight seasons). He already knows how to recruit kids to come to Dover, their roster includes players from DE, NJ, MD, VA, PA, NY, FL, and TX.

Chemhen
January 8th, 2011, 06:03 PM
Wesley's records a little misleading because they carry, what 200+ players on the roster? I think he'd be a good choice for DSU, but the Hornets will only show strides when their admin makes a real commitment to facilities, regardless of who their coach is.

superman7515
January 8th, 2011, 06:26 PM
102 players. UD had 111 on their roster this year.

DFW HOYA
January 8th, 2011, 08:24 PM
Wesley's records a little misleading because they carry, what 200+ players on the roster? I think he'd be a good choice for DSU, but the Hornets will only show strides when their admin makes a real commitment to facilities, regardless of who their coach is.

Unfortunately, sounds familiar.

BlueHenSinfonian
January 8th, 2011, 08:51 PM

I don't know the state of DSU's locker/training/weight/practice facilities, but I think it would be hard to justify expanding or upgrading the stadium until they start to fill it up as it is.

I have to commend DSU for going outside of the typical MEAC box with this hire. Wesley has been a strong DIII program for years, and I look forward to DSU improving as a program. If we are going to have to play them on a regular or semi-regular basis, it would be nice if they were strong enough not to bring our SOS down too much.

bluehenbillk
January 8th, 2011, 08:58 PM
Hmm it'll be interesting to see a white guy coaching in the MEAC...

superman7515
January 8th, 2011, 11:55 PM
Joe Purzycki was head coach at DSU and turned them around before moving on to JMU in 1985. He was white the whole time.

GAD
January 9th, 2011, 06:49 AM
Take a look at Norfolk States head coach

inpsite1919
January 10th, 2011, 05:24 AM
I was about to say the same thing. Pete Adrian at NSU

bluehenbillk
January 10th, 2011, 09:21 AM
Joe Purzycki was head coach at DSU and turned them around before moving on to JMU in 1985. He was white the whole time.

hahaha

Ivytalk
January 10th, 2011, 12:42 PM
Maybe KC Keeler will toss his hat into the ring, now that he's officially "withdrawn" from the UConn race.xcoolxxsmiley_wix