PDA

View Full Version : How much credit goes to Paul Wulff?

MplsBison
January 8th, 2011, 12:16 PM
Honest question because I don't know: how much credit for Eastern Washington's improbably national title goes to EWU's ex-head coach (and current Washington State head coach) Paul Wulff?

Surely Wulff recruited at least some of the contributing play makers for EWU. And would you also say that he could be credited with making EWU a winner? Again, I don't know much about the history of EWU's program. Were they winners in the Big Sky and I-AA generally before he showed up? Or did he change things around?

Just wondering - no smack or flaming intended. I also don't intend to take anything away from the great job the current HC and staff have done.

ATX_EWUGrad
January 8th, 2011, 02:32 PM
ZERO....and look what his brilliance did at WAZZU. It was that jackwagon that was responsible for us almost being banned from the playoffs a couple years ago, until we appealled the decision and had the intial NCAA ruling overturned. We found a gem in Baldwin and hopefully he'll stick around for a while.

MplsBison
January 8th, 2011, 02:33 PM
ZERO....and look what his brilliance did at WAZZU. It was that jackwagon that was responsible for us almost being banned from the playoffs a couple years ago, until we appealled the decision and had the intial NCAA ruling overturned. We found a gem in Baldwin and hopefully he'll stick around for a while.

So none of the playmakers in the game yesterday were recruited by Wulff? Zero?

ATX_EWUGrad
January 8th, 2011, 02:45 PM
So none of the playmakers in the game yesterday were recruited by Wulff? Zero?

Technically speaking, yes....he is responsible for the Senior class as Baldwin is completing his 3rd year here, but if you look up and down the roster, we're not losing many seniors. I think we're returning 18 of 22 starters if I counted correctly. Our biggest lost will be JC Sherritt, and he was an incoming freshman Wulff's last year. And the way I look at it, there was no way of knowing Sherritt would turn out the way he did coming out of HS. I mean there is a reason some of these players come to EWU. EWU ranks 3rd in the state pecking order behind U-Dub and WAZZU. Eastern gets mostly scraps. I hate to put it that way but it's mostly true. Sure we find diamonds in the rough and "projects" and role the dice with them, but we are an FCS school. Not many "blue chips" come here and say, "I wanna play football in Cheney." We specialize in athletes passed by or overlooked by bigger named schools. Sad but true, but it is what it is.

Screamin_Eagle174
January 8th, 2011, 02:48 PM
Some credit goes to Wulff obviously, because he did help recruit the seniors on the team (JC Sherritt), but really the credit belongs to the players, and the current coaches who coached this season. He definitely had his hand in building this program up, but I credit Baldwin for not only keeping it at a high level, but taking it to the top. I really hope that Wulff wins some more games at WSU this next year so they keep him on... I'd love to get a shot at some revenge for the NCAA infractions that he knew of and did nothing about, then bailed, when we play the cougs in 2012.

ATX_EWUGrad
January 8th, 2011, 02:53 PM
Some credit goes to Wulff obviously, because he did help recruit the seniors on the team (JC Sherritt), but really the credit belongs to the players, and the current coaches who coached this season. He definitely had his hand in building this program up, but I credit Baldwin for not only keeping it at a high level, but taking it to the top. I really hope that Wulff wins some more games at WSU this next year so they keep him on... I'd love to get a shot at some revenge for the NCAA infractions that he knew of and did nothing about, then bailed, when we play the cougs in 2012.

Amen Brother to that. I'm sick and tired of the lack of respect EWU gets statewide. U-Dub on September 3rd, and WAZZU in 2012!!!

dudeitsaid
January 8th, 2011, 03:09 PM
I would say from Kramer, to Wulff, to Baldwin, they, and many of the assistants have played a part in EWU's current success. In college football, success rarely happens overnight. Though there were some NCAA violations that took place under Wulff's tenure, though inadvisable, they really didn't give any competitive advantage to EWU, which is part of why the playoff sanctions were overturned. He was a good coach, and a good recruiter. Though the wins don't reflect it yet, he is crafting the Cougers into a more competitive team. I predict 6 wins for them next year. Baldwin has not simply continued their success of his predecessors, but has instilled his own philosophy. That philosophy, combined with the "never say die" attitude of the team, I believe is one of the biggest reasons for this years success. I also hope he stays. Though the Big Sky is continuing to get more competitive, EWU has an opportunity next year to continue it's run. And, with the addition of a Southern Utah team that will be fearsome, and Cal Poly that consistently fields a good to great team, the Big Sky, IMO will be the premier FCS conference (Though I'm sure others from other conferences would disagree.)

I think those three coaches, and the university have really looked at the football program as something of value. Rather than a hobby sports league on the side, they put real effort into recruiting, coaching, and improving the facilities. Though I don't think our facilities are on the high end of FCS schools, they definitely aren't on the low end. The improvements over the years, the red field this year, the fact they aren't done improving the facilities show a commitment on the part of EWU to continue to raise our relevance in the Big Sky and the FCS in general. I think EWU's biggest challenge is winning the Spokane community over. Spokane still has not embrace the Eagles as their team, and instead will drive two hours to go see the Cougers. I hope the NC will play a part in changing that. I haven't looked at the stats, but I would have to estimate that the attendance of the Eagles games are probably some of the lowest of a team with their success (especially over the last 15 years). Being seen is a part of recruiting. If we can continue to make it to the playoffs, that national TV exposure will play a part in our recruiting.

MplsBison
January 8th, 2011, 04:33 PM
I would say from Kramer, to Wulff, to Baldwin, they, and many of the assistants have played a part in EWU's current success. In college football, success rarely happens overnight. Though there were some NCAA violations that took place under Wulff's tenure, though inadvisable, they really didn't give any competitive advantage to EWU, which is part of why the playoff sanctions were overturned. He was a good coach, and a good recruiter. Though the wins don't reflect it yet, he is crafting the Cougers into a more competitive team. I predict 6 wins for them next year. Baldwin has not simply continued their success of his predecessors, but has instilled his own philosophy. That philosophy, combined with the "never say die" attitude of the team, I believe is one of the biggest reasons for this years success. I also hope he stays. Though the Big Sky is continuing to get more competitive, EWU has an opportunity next year to continue it's run. And, with the addition of a Southern Utah team that will be fearsome, and Cal Poly that consistently fields a good to great team, the Big Sky, IMO will be the premier FCS conference (Though I'm sure others from other conferences would disagree.)

I think those three coaches, and the university have really looked at the football program as something of value. Rather than a hobby sports league on the side, they put real effort into recruiting, coaching, and improving the facilities. Though I don't think our facilities are on the high end of FCS schools, they definitely aren't on the low end. The improvements over the years, the red field this year, the fact they aren't done improving the facilities show a commitment on the part of EWU to continue to raise our relevance in the Big Sky and the FCS in general. I think EWU's biggest challenge is winning the Spokane community over. Spokane still has not embrace the Eagles as their team, and instead will drive two hours to go see the Cougers. I hope the NC will play a part in changing that. I haven't looked at the stats, but I would have to estimate that the attendance of the Eagles games are probably some of the lowest of a team with their success (especially over the last 15 years). Being seen is a part of recruiting. If we can continue to make it to the playoffs, that national TV exposure will play a part in our recruiting.

Thanks, this was the type of answer I was looking for.

You, along with the other posters, have indicated that almost none of Wulff's recruits left on the team were significant contributors.

I guess maybe what I was more getting at was did Wulff turn EWU into a nationally competitive program? But anyway, I think you've answered well.

EWU football stadium looks nice, but it's very small. In fact, I would say that EWU and SUU are similar in that sense with nice stadiums but both are small and probably toward the bottom of Big Sky and towards the bottom of the full scholarship FCS schools. Sorry if that sounds harsh. Hopefully success will lead to more improvements.

dudeitsaid
January 8th, 2011, 04:59 PM
It's not harsh at all, especially considering we rarely fill the small capacity it holds in the first place. It is a really nice place to watch a game. But not many reasons to make it bigger at this point.

JC Sherritt was a big contributer, and he was recruited under Wulff, as was Tyler Jolley and a couple of other starting seniors on the NC team. I think Wulff was a good coach at EWU. It's hard to imagine us having this success without the success that preceded it. It's a lot harder to get perpetually celler dwellers to the top of the league than a school already experiencing success.