PDA

View Full Version : KC Keeler to UConn?

superman7515
January 7th, 2011, 10:24 AM
Keeler Would Be A Good Fit For UConn (http://www.courant.com/sports/uconn-football/hc-edsall-replacement-uconn-0107-20110106,0,5074772.story)

It is entirely possible K.C. Keeler will be coaching his last game at Delaware Friday night — the last before he becomes head coach at UConn.

Lehigh Football Nation
January 7th, 2011, 10:55 AM
Boy, there are a LOT of compelling signs that Keeler might be going to UConn.

If UConn doesn't get Keeler, another school will grab this exciting, winning coach.

No matter what happens against EWU, Keeler's body of work has been very good. He is 74-41 at Delaware and 162-62-1 when you add his nine seasons at Division III Rowan.

But here's the thing about Keeler. While it's impossible to know where the search committee is leaning to replace Randy Edsall, there's a good bet they will look Keeler's way. Athletic director Jeff Hathaway, who is making his first major hire, will probably be cool with Keeler.

It is believed UConn wants someone in Edsall's age bracket. Edsall is 52; Keeler, 51. UConn wants a motivator and a person close to the UConn community and the academic community.

A peek at the Blue Hens' roster shows that Keeler recruits in many of the areas UConn farmed under Edsall, mainly much of the Eastern seaboard.

When Keeler was asked about the UConn job by the News Journal in Wilmington, he wouldn't answer the question.

Keeler reportedly makes $310,000 a year. Edsall made $1.55 million this past season and was set make $1.65 million next season.

Keeler, interestingly, is represented by Edsall's former agent, Gary O'Hagan.

I think I've gone from saying "no way Keeler will go to UConn" to saying "holy crap, he's gone, and which coaches and assistant coaches from around FCS Northeast will he take with him?"

GannonFan
January 7th, 2011, 12:15 PM
I'm still not sure he's going to be offered, but yeah, I wouldn't be shocked if he took the job if they offered it to him. $1.5M is a heckuva lot more than the $350k he's pulling in now. Even if he only lasted 2-3 years that would still be more than he could make in more than a decade at UD. And he could be successful. People mock him for taking FBS QB castoffs, but you'd be silly to think that he wouldn't attract them in the first place if he was already coaching an FBS school. This will be the 3rd QB he's had in the past 8 years who will be drafted, so that's not a bad resume to attract quality QB's. He's real good at bringing in coordinators to handle the X's and O's and that wouldn't be any worse at a BCS school. The only thing holding him back is whether his love for UD, UD football, and the history of the program (only 3 coaches before him since WWII, and all 3 are in the college HOF, perhaps 7 NC's, all at the next level down from the big boys, after tonight) would keep him in Newark. His kids are in college so soon that won't be an anchor anyway. It'll be interesting to see, and if he leaves, interesting as to who UD brings in. Maybe another former player and coach at a lower level would be Billy Zwaan at West Chester. Might also depend on who stays - Hofher has plenty of head coaching experience and he could stay. Gregg Perry was the runnerup for the job when Tubby left and he's on the staff. Interesting times indeed, especially with a lot of talent coming back next year for the Hens.

Side Judge
January 7th, 2011, 12:21 PM
I'm still not sure he's going to be offered, but yeah, I wouldn't be shocked if he took the job if they offered it to him. $1.5M is a heckuva lot more than the $350k he's pulling in now. Even if he only lasted 2-3 years that would still be more than he could make in more than a decade at UD. And he could be successful. People mock him for taking FBS QB castoffs, but you'd be silly to think that he wouldn't attract them in the first place if he was already coaching an FBS school. This will be the 3rd QB he's had in the past 8 years who will be drafted, so that's not a bad resume to attract quality QB's. He's real good at bringing in coordinators to handle the X's and O's and that wouldn't be any worse at a BCS school. The only thing holding him back is whether his love for UD, UD football, and the history of the program (only 3 coaches before him since WWII, and all 3 are in the college HOF, perhaps 7 NC's, all at the next level down from the big boys, after tonight) would keep him in Newark. His kids are in college so soon that won't be an anchor anyway. It'll be interesting to see, and if he leaves, interesting as to who UD brings in. Maybe another former player and coach at a lower level would be Billy Zwaan at West Chester. Might also depend on who stays - Hofher has plenty of head coaching experience and he could stay. Gregg Perry was the runnerup for the job when Tubby left and he's on the staff. Interesting times indeed, especially with a lot of talent coming back next year for the Hens.

Or just bring in Fridge to complete the circle (though only if he didn't get any FBS offers, since it would be a healthy pay cut)...

superman7515
January 7th, 2011, 12:22 PM
From FootballScoop.com:

UCONN: A source close to the situation has just informed us that Delaware head coach KC Keeler is the leading candidate at UCONN.

GannonFan
January 7th, 2011, 01:29 PM
From FootballScoop.com:

UCONN: A source close to the situation has just informed us that Delaware head coach KC Keeler is the leading candidate at UCONN.

It's fine to be the leading candidate, but I doubt they've even talked with him yet at this point. He's been a little busy.

Eagle22
January 7th, 2011, 01:42 PM
It's fine to be the leading candidate, but I doubt they've even talked with him yet at this point. He's been a little busy.

Probably just as busy as Paul Johnson was the week he took the Navy job preceding the GSU-Furman game in 2001.

In actuality, Keeler has had MORE time to talk with UCONN ... given the break between the semi's and tonights game.

UncleSam
January 7th, 2011, 01:48 PM
If Keeler is ever going to go this is the time to do it, as I doubt that his reputation or value will any higher in the future than it is right now.

GannonFan
January 7th, 2011, 02:07 PM
Probably just as busy as Paul Johnson was the week he took the Navy job preceding the GSU-Furman game in 2001.

In actuality, Keeler has had MORE time to talk with UCONN ... given the break between the semi's and tonights game.

True dat.

HenZoneNation
January 7th, 2011, 02:13 PM

I would think Zwaan would be a great candidate...I still say he stays...I think UD will offer more money...but in truth... I think if they make the commitment they have danced around for the last 7 years about putting money into the stadium and program...if he sees light at the end of the tunnel, I think he stays. If he's the coach who was able to accomplish this and he ends his career with even just a pair of NC's he leaves a legend and no longer in Tubby Shadow.

LEHIGH61
January 7th, 2011, 04:08 PM
Uconn should hire Mark Whipple, an offensive genius. He was very successful at the University of New Haven, then won the national championship in 1998. He coached "very successfully" at Brown. was Offensive coordinator with the Pittsburg Steelers with Ben R, offensive coordinator at Philadelphia Eagles when they went to the Super Bowl, and most recently Offensive coordinator for the Miami Dolphins. This guy was always very successful and he knows Connecticut. What a resume!!!
He also wants the job. His experience runs rings around Keeler's. Keeler's success is merely the result of bringing in transfer QB's from FBS schools. He is a scumbag recruiter. Uconn is trying to keep their program clean. Go with Whipple and you will see a powerful offense.

LEHIGH61
January 7th, 2011, 04:09 PM
National championship at Umass in 1998.

Chemhen
January 7th, 2011, 04:32 PM
Keeler's success is merely the result of bringing in transfer QB's from FBS schools. He is a scumbag recruiter. Uconn is trying to keep their program clean.

I still don't know why UD gets hit with transfer u so much. GSU and EWU both have transfer QBs; Nova was the only team without one in the semis. As has been pointed out, we don't have any transfers starting on defense, and I believe only had 1 starting in 2003, the last year we had a defense as strong as this one. Oh, and Andrew Pierce, runaway CAA Rookie of the Year; yeah, we were the only school to offer him in D-1.

I don't know how you can call Keeler a scumbag recruiter. When a player commits to UD, that commitment is rock solid; other schools (predominantly FBS) will withdraw the scholarship if a better player comes calling. Sometimes we have to withdraw an offer if we have two players for one spot and someone accepts first, but that's a fact of life. Every program has bad apples, but we don't actively recruit thugs. Please defend your accusation with examples of so-called 'scumbag recruiting.' You want to call him arrogant, fine, he definitely is. You want to call him an a**hole, fine, he probably can be. But please don't attack our players' or our program's reputations.