PDA

View Full Version : UMass cuts AIC from schedule

umassfan
February 21st, 2006, 04:03 PM
UMass replaces DII AIC with I-AA Stony Brook.

http://umassathletics.collegesports.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/022106aab.html

Go...gate
February 21st, 2006, 04:38 PM
Good move. Bruce Laird's alma mater ain't what it used to be in FB.

February 21st, 2006, 05:03 PM
:beerchug:

Ivytalk
February 21st, 2006, 05:11 PM
UMass replaces DII AIC with I-AA Stony Brook.

http://umassathletics.collegesports.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/022106aab.html

Ballsy move by the Minutemen, and heartbreak in Springfield.

Umass74
February 21st, 2006, 06:22 PM
Good move by the Minutemen. Stony Brook was co-champs (http://www.northeastconference.org/sport.asp?path=fball) of the NEC.

They beat CCSU and last year's UMass opponent Albany.

umassfan
February 21st, 2006, 06:58 PM
Ballsy move by the Minutemen, and heartbreak in Springfield.
Why a ballsy move? It was a great move because that win will help toward the playoffs... AIC wouldnt.

UNHWildCats
February 21st, 2006, 07:40 PM
Stony Brook now plays Umass and New Hampshire this season.

foghorn
February 21st, 2006, 08:00 PM
Good move by the Minutemen. Stony Brook was co-champs (http://www.northeastconference.org/sport.asp?path=fball) of the NEC.

They beat CCSU and last year's UMass opponent Albany.

C'mon, let's not make Stony Brook a Penn State or something. It was a good move by UMass because they get a sure win against a D-IAA
instead of a nothing game against a D-II. That's the only reason. I wish UD would wise up and dump West Chester for another I-AA. I, personally, would like Lehigh or Colgate, but I think our prez's nephews are flagboys in West Chester's band. What to do?

saint0917
February 21st, 2006, 08:12 PM
Thank god, I'm not a big fan of playing D2 schools, it would have hurt Umass come playoff time.

Ivytalk
February 21st, 2006, 08:35 PM
Why a ballsy move? It was a great move because that win will help toward the playoffs... AIC wouldnt.

Wake up and smell the latte, umassfan. I'm agreeing with you!xcoffeex

umassfan
February 21st, 2006, 09:29 PM
Wake up and smell the latte, umassfan. I'm agreeing with you!xcoffeex

But I dont get why you said it was a ballsy move...

mainejeff
February 21st, 2006, 09:45 PM
The move makes sense. These schools will be playing in the same league eventually. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to see the New England A-10 schools scheduling more and more of Albany and Stony Brook.

umassfan
February 21st, 2006, 09:51 PM
The move makes sense. These schools will be playing in the same league eventually. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to see the New England A-10 schools scheduling more and more of Albany and Stony Brook.
They schedule them because they are easy I-AA wins not because they will be in the same league... Also because they are in the northeast.

colgate13
February 21st, 2006, 09:55 PM
It was a good move by UMass because they get a sure win against a D-IAA I think this is a great move by UMass and another indication of the growth that the NEC is undergoing. I do though, think days of a 'sure win' against an NEC school are numbered. We (Colgate) learned that lesson last year. UMass could easily overlook the Seawolves and have themselves a game... Congrats to Stony Brook as well for getting good games. This is Priore's first season at the helm, so who knows what is in store?

mainejeff
February 22nd, 2006, 02:03 AM
They schedule them because they are easy I-AA wins not because they will be in the same league... Also because they are in the northeast.

Wrong.

umassfan
February 22nd, 2006, 03:12 AM
Wrong.
No you are wrong... if you think UMass will ever be in a group with Albany, Stony Brook and CCSU... you are mistaken... Maine, maybe but not UMass.

mainejeff
February 22nd, 2006, 03:29 AM
No, not Central Connecticut.

Unless UMass moves to I-A.....you can bet on it.

colgate13
February 22nd, 2006, 08:00 AM
No you are wrong... if you think UMass will ever be in a group with Albany, Stony Brook and CCSU... you are mistaken... Maine, maybe but not UMass.

Never say never... and to the average fan, a conference that Jeff alludes to actually makes great sense once the CAA jettisons affiliates...

GannonFan
February 22nd, 2006, 08:32 AM
Never say never... and to the average fan, a conference that Jeff alludes to actually makes great sense once the CAA jettisons affiliates...

And considering that the CAA is only going to add ODU sometime after 2009 (who knows how long it will take for them to become a full-time playing member - maybe 2012?) that jettison of affiliates you talk about may be a decade or more in happening. After ODU, nobody who doesn't have one is anywhere close to deciding to have a football program, let alone making it happen. If there's going to be a seismic shift in the CAA, it's going to happen from changes to the entire football landscape, not CAA schools adding football.

umassfan
February 22nd, 2006, 08:48 AM

UMass will be in the Big East before it will be in a conference with CCSU, Albany and Stony Brook. Like I said Maine and UNH maybe but not UMass.

bluehenbillk
February 22nd, 2006, 08:59 AM
Seeing the bakery ad at the top of this board & UMass' schedule puts one thought into my head: Cupcake city. They'll be favored in 9 of their 11 games, and back in the playoffs if they don't choke like dogs again.

UNH 40
February 22nd, 2006, 09:06 AM
Great move there is no value in playing a team like that, play a mid major instead.

Umass74
February 22nd, 2006, 09:22 AM
Seeing the bakery ad at the top of this board & UMass' schedule puts one thought into my head: Cupcake city. They'll be favored in 9 of their 11 games, and back in the playoffs if they don't choke like dogs again.

Nice smack post. Everybody has something rational to say except for Delaware fans.

UMass went 3-0 against Richmond, Delaware and JMU last year.

I'll leave it to the fans of Colgate, Towson, W&M, Maine and Hofstra to reply to the "cupcakes" part...

bluehenbillk
February 22nd, 2006, 09:50 AM
Just having some fun, I see UMass going 8-3 & making the playoffs, but ask me again in late September.

Umass74
February 22nd, 2006, 10:06 AM
Apology accepted. 8-3 could be close to what I expect for UMass next year.

I don't see us beating Navy at Annopolis. Johnson has them firing on all cylinders. They crushed Colorodo State in their bowl game last year. That gives us one loss.

The visiting team rarely wins in the Villanova-UMass series. Talley has NEVER won at UMass, but is like 10-2 at home against us. UNH should be a challange, although we beat Santos & Co. in Durham last time.

Hofstra has knocked us out of the playoffs two times in the last four years. They always play us tough. So does Colgate...

Don't really see any games we should win just by showing up. As I said in a previous post the SeaWolves beat our last year NEC opponent Albany and CCSU, who upset Colgate.

Moving our I-A opponent to early in the season helps as does dropping the DII game, but like every year in the A10, it's going to be a dog fight.

bluehenbillk
February 22nd, 2006, 10:25 AM
Cmon 74, don't play possum. If you lose to Stony Brook, pack up shop.

Umass74
February 22nd, 2006, 10:38 AM
Agreed. I did not intend to to say we will loose to Stony Brook.

OTOH, They are not Mars Hill or Johnston C. Smith

colgate13
February 22nd, 2006, 10:58 AM
UMass will be in the Big East before

The Big East will fold before...

GannonFan
February 22nd, 2006, 11:17 AM
Apology accepted. 8-3 could be close to what I expect for UMass next year.

I don't see us beating Navy at Annopolis. Johnson has them firing on all cylinders. They crushed Colorodo State in their bowl game last year. That gives us one loss.

The visiting team rarely wins in the Villanova-UMass series. Talley has NEVER won at UMass, but is like 10-2 at home against us. UNH should be a challange, although we beat Santos & Co. in Durham last time.

Hofstra has knocked us out of the playoffs two times in the last four years. They always play us tough. So does Colgate...

Don't really see any games we should win just by showing up. As I said in a previous post the SeaWolves beat our last year NEC opponent Albany and CCSU, who upset Colgate.

Moving our I-A opponent to early in the season helps as does dropping the DII game, but like every year in the A10, it's going to be a dog fight.

Navy will be very tough - they beat the stuffing out of an Army team that beat you guys last year, and they have you as their second game so they will have some of the kinks out of the way.

UNH will be tough to beat - sure you beat them last time in Durham, but that was something like the 3rd or 4th start ever for Santos - even with an improved defense last year you guys couldn't stop them so I don't see how with the losses on D against a now veteran Santos that that shouldn't be a loss.

After that it's a toss-up. Who knows how good Maine will be with Whitcomb being a senior. Who knows about Hofstra under Cohen as head coach in his first year. Northeastern and URI are gimmes but Colgate, for some reason, gives you guys trouble. At least it's at home this year as I wouldn't bet a dime on you guys in Hamilton. You have two almost guaranteed losses so the question is how do you fare in the other 9 games. 8-3 isn't out of the question at all.

Fordham
February 22nd, 2006, 11:39 AM

It's going to be interesting to see how the next few years play out now that those schools have added scholarships. They obviously closed the gap with PL schools as evidenced by some of the wins (ugh!) and close games this year. If they show they can close the gap with A10 schools over the next few years, it'll be interesting to see how much the perception of those 'mid majors' changes. Perhaps an idea that you bristle about now might be more palatable if they start winning (particularly if they can get into the playoffs and prove themselves competitive)?

Umass74
February 22nd, 2006, 11:40 AM
UNH will be tough to beat - sure you beat them last time in Durham, but that was something like the 3rd or 4th start ever for Santos - even with an improved defense last year you guys couldn't stop them so I don't see how with the losses on D against a now veteran Santos that that shouldn't be a loss.

UNH was by far the best I-AA team I saw last year. I was surprised by their belly-flop in the playoffs last year---but turnovers will do that for you.

I don't agree that UNH is a sure loss for us in 2006. Yes, Santos was a rookie in 2004. But if you them that, you have to give us our QB Coen was making his 6th career start in 2005. Plus we had lost our two starting OT's preseason. Both fifth year seniors, both starters and one a captain.

I think UMass will be significantly better on offense (barring injuries) this year.

UNH is a great team, but if I were them, I would not take UMass for granted...

blukeys
February 22nd, 2006, 12:27 PM
UNH is a great team, but if I were them, I would not take UMass for granted...

If I've learned anything watching the A-10, it is that you should not take any conference team for granted!

henfan
February 22nd, 2006, 12:41 PM
Smart move by UMass with regards to getting more credit towards playoff eligibility, picking up another D-I school in lieu of a D-II. Odd thing is that AIC probably offers about as many equivalancies as SUNYSB. In fact, their reported football expenses are marginally higher. This likely amounts to a competitive wash for UMass.

Since UMass plays Navy isn't that an indication that they'll be joining the Mids as I-A Independent soon?:smiley_wi

GannonFan
February 22nd, 2006, 12:55 PM
I don't agree that UNH is a sure loss for us in 2006. Yes, Santos was a rookie in 2004. But if you them that, you have to give us our QB Coen was making his 6th career start in 2005.

Come on, Santos is going to be a 4 year candidate for the Payton Award, and is easily one of the best 2 or 3 QB's in all of IAA. Coen is a nice player, but the difference is pretty vast, IMO.

mainejeff
February 22nd, 2006, 01:46 PM

The CAA won't be jettisoning anyone......the schools will leave on their own accord.

mainejeff
February 22nd, 2006, 01:48 PM
UMass will be in the Big East before it will be in a conference with CCSU, Albany and Stony Brook. Like I said Maine and UNH maybe but not UMass.

xlolx

As long as UConn is in the Big East, UMass won't be. And like I said, Central Connectict won't be one of the schools.

mainejeff
February 22nd, 2006, 01:50 PM
Nice smack post. Everybody has something rational to say except for Delaware fans.

UMass went 3-0 against Richmond, Delaware and JMU last year.

I'll leave it to the fans of Colgate, Towson, W&M, Maine and Hofstra to reply to the "cupcakes" part...

Huh?

Umass74
February 22nd, 2006, 02:23 PM
Come on, Santos is going to be a 4 year candidate for the Payton Award, and is easily one of the best 2 or 3 QB's in all of IAA. Coen is a nice player, but the difference is pretty vast, IMO.

Don't understand this comment. When we beat UNH in Durham the excuse was Santos was a rookie with only a few starts.

If you give UNH that, then in 2005, our three-time A10 Rookie-of-the-Week had only a few starts in our close loss. How come UNH gets "might-have-beens" and we don't?

I said nothing against Santos. He is a great player.

LUHawker
February 22nd, 2006, 02:25 PM
Northeastern and URI are gimmes but Colgate, for some reason, gives you guys trouble. At least it's at home this year as I wouldn't bet a dime on you guys in Hamilton.

Could it be, just maybe, that Colgate plays very good football? They give more teams than just UMass fits.

Umass74
February 22nd, 2006, 02:27 PM
Huh?

Check the orginal post by blukeys who said UMass played a bunch of cupcakes in '06

Gotta cut this off now. 'Bye till tomorrow.

Go...gate
February 22nd, 2006, 02:31 PM
The arrest and prosecution of Navy's QB Owens will hurt that program very badly, just as Air Force's recent scandals ave hurt that once-vaunted program. I think UMass will face a weaker Navy team then we presently perceive.

What is going on with UMass to the Big East? Is public money/funding still a big problem? I think they are a natural fit for all sports now that BC is gone (but not missed).

GannonFan
February 22nd, 2006, 02:36 PM
Don't understand this comment. When we beat UNH in Durham the excuse was Santos was a rookie with only a few starts.

If you give UNH that, then in 2005, our three-time A10 Rookie-of-the-Week had only a few starts in our close loss. How come UNH gets "might-have-beens" and we don't?

I said nothing against Santos. He is a great player.

I just think there is a difference in quality between Santos and Coen - I don't see Coen anywhere near approaching the type of QB that Santos has become. No knock on Coen, I just don't see him as a Payton type QB.

GannonFan
February 22nd, 2006, 02:40 PM
The arrest and prosecution of Navy's QB Owens will hurt that program very badly, just as Air Force's recent scandals ave hurt that once-vaunted program. I think UMass will face a weaker Navy team then we presently perceive.

What is going on with UMass to the Big East? Is public money/funding still a big problem? I think they are a natural fit for all sports now that BC is gone (but not missed).

The Navy QB was a senior last year and had already used all his athletic eligibility. I don't think this isolated incident with one player will necessarily have any impact on Navy's gridiron fortunes next year. The Air Force issues where much more widespread. Paul Johnson has shown a strong talent for building great teams so I wouldn't think Navy sees any significant, if any, dropoff next year.

As for UMass into the Big East, I don't think the Big East is looking for anybody right now - they're more than filled with the teams they have and if there's any talk it's about splitting the conference up. And the other poster was right, UConn would never let UMass into the Big East anyway so money or no money it's not something that will happen anytime soon.

colgate13
February 22nd, 2006, 03:12 PM
Could it be, just maybe, that Colgate plays very good football? They give more teams than just UMass fits.

Forgive him, he's from Delaware. We've never given them fits! :bawling:

umassfan
February 22nd, 2006, 07:09 PM
xlolx

As long as UConn is in the Big East, UMass won't be. And like I said, Central Connectict won't be one of the schools.
You are again WRONG... Providence and Cuse are the two main reasons UMass currently is not in the big east.

Go...gate
February 22nd, 2006, 07:19 PM
Why would Providence and Syracuse object to UMass's joining the Big East?

aceinthehole
February 22nd, 2006, 07:53 PM
xlolx

MJ, you know you have no info to base that statement. CCSU is very likely to be in future I-AA realignment plans (based on preliminary inquries from AE officials) when and if they happen.

Dane96
February 22nd, 2006, 11:49 PM

Let's just say...no matter what certain UMASS fans say here, I have work(ed) in two very high profile state positions (where we see advanced budgets because of our executive positions) and have a close friend who sits on the UMASS board; UMASS TO IA IS NOT ON THE HORIZON via public money.

The caveat is if they raise all the money privately. Anyone living in this state knows the economics of the area just wont allow for that.

Add on the fact that UCONN WOULD NEVER allow UMASS in the Big EAST, and you have yourself one HELL of an uphill battle.

Dane96
February 22nd, 2006, 11:52 PM
You are again WRONG... Providence and Cuse are the two main reasons UMass currently is not in the big east.

LOL...ok, you keep telling yourself that. Syracuse's recruiting rival has been BC...period. They could give a rats ass about UMASS.

PC...they wont be part of the league when the football schools split. Also, they don't have a football team.

mainejeff
February 22nd, 2006, 11:57 PM
LOL...ok, you keep telling yourself that. Syracuse's recruiting rival has been BC...period. They could give a rats ass about UMASS.

PC...they wont be part of the league when the football schools split. Also, they don't have a football team.

Thanks Dane. Sometimes people just don't understand the basics.

henfan
February 23rd, 2006, 11:38 AM
I'm always amused when people speak in definite terms about future conference alignments. It makes me wonder why they don't use their powers of deduction for more self-serving ends, like predicting Power Ball numbers.:doh:

Fordham
February 23rd, 2006, 11:45 AM
I'm always amused when people speak in definite terms about future conference alignments. It makes me wonder why they don't use their powers of deduction for more self-serving ends, like predicting Power Ball numbers.:doh:
I knew you were going to say that.

Bub
February 23rd, 2006, 11:46 AM
Obviously powers like that can only be used for the greater good and not for personal gain.:rotateh:

Tubby Raymond
February 23rd, 2006, 01:43 PM
Forgive him, he's from Delaware. We've never given them fits! :bawling:

We would relish having you as a part of our schedule, this year and forever.

colgate13
February 23rd, 2006, 01:51 PM
We would relish having you as a part of our schedule, this year and forever.

Given our past history, I'd relish a 'W' every year against a good program as well! :bawling:

Tubby Raymond
February 23rd, 2006, 02:07 PM
Given our past history, I'd relish a 'W' every year against a good program as well! :bawling:

Do you mean 40-0 or ancient history

colgate13
February 23rd, 2006, 02:36 PM
Do you mean 40-0 or ancient history

2003 40-0
1982 20-13
1979 24-16
1978 38-29
1977 21-3

Colgate has never beaten Delaware, and twice it REALLY mattered! I'd LOVE a UD win under Colgate's belt. I think it's probably in my top 5 Colgate athletics wish list!

Go...gate
February 23rd, 2006, 03:05 PM
Actually, three of the Colgate-Delaware games really mattered; our 20-13 loss to them in the 1982 I-AA Quarterfinals at Delaware Stadium was another heartbreaker.

blukeys
February 23rd, 2006, 07:00 PM
As much as our newbies would like to protest, the '77 game was the best as it was totally unexpected with the exception of UD fans who knew the team and were prepared for the best. I was there and the reaction of all but the UD fans was GREAT!!

umassfan
February 23rd, 2006, 07:13 PM
Why would Providence and Syracuse object to UMass's joining the Big East?

Providences president doesnt like UMass... same can be said for Cuse... therefore in order to gain access to the Big East, it goes by a vote. Their votes would keep UMass out of the Big East.

umassfan
February 23rd, 2006, 07:16 PM
Thanks Dane. Sometimes people just don't understand the basics.

Sometimes you dont understand the basics that it is a much bigger picture then sports as a whole... as I said above its all about a couple of people not liking our school. PC will never vote us in and neither would Cuse. UConn is the least of our worries.

mainejeff
February 23rd, 2006, 08:33 PM
Sounds like you're really scr*wed then.

There's always the MAC......

umassfan
February 24th, 2006, 12:21 AM
Sounds like you're really scr*wed then.

There's always the MAC......

Nah not screwed.. just gona stay where we are... unlike Maine... we have more to offere the new CAA.

Tubby Raymond
February 24th, 2006, 08:17 AM
As much as our newbies would like to protest

I'l assume you were referring to my comment, hardly a "newbie", I was in attendance at each of those games.

GannonFan
February 24th, 2006, 10:48 AM
Nah not screwed.. just gona stay where we are... unlike Maine... we have more to offere the new CAA.

You're going to need to stop taking Prop 48's if that's the case - academic requirements in the CAA aren't as lax as the A10.

Dane96
February 24th, 2006, 12:10 PM
You're going to need to stop taking Prop 48's if that's the case - academic requirements in the CAA aren't as lax as the A10.

OH my, thank you Gannonfan. I SO wanted to bring that up but thought otherwise. UMASSFAN...the reason you HAVE NOT gotten a Big East offer isnt becaue the Providence President hates you nor because Syracuse has some grudge, rather your answer is A) What Gannon fan said and B) UCONN.

You actually believe PROVIDENCE HAS THAT MUCH SAY IN THE MATTER?

The facts are, and this has come up in the meetings that we have had on Beacon Hill regarding a leap to IA, UMASS' Prop 48 situation makes them less than enticing to ANY league. Sure, Temple had Prop 48 issues, however the Big East asked (and Temple obliged) them to cut the crap, so to speak.

Come on now....

aceinthehole
February 24th, 2006, 12:45 PM
Sometimes you dont understand the basics that it is a much bigger picture then sports as a whole... as I said above its all about a couple of people not liking our school. PC will never vote us in and neither would Cuse. UConn is the least of our worries.

Whatever roadblocks their are preventing UMass to move to the Big East are of their own doing and are not the result of UConn, PC, or SU. I do not for a second believe any BE school has a specific reason or grudge to veto the Minutemen. I think the bottom line is, especially when considering BE football, UMass brings 0 to the table.

If the BE needed a FB member immediately after the FB/MBB split there are far better options like existing I-A programs. Memphis, East Carolina, and likely Central Florida or even a return of Temple is a better option than UMass. UMass has yet to show it has the funding or commitment required to be an I-A player, and that reason alone is their biggest hurdle.

blukeys
February 24th, 2006, 12:57 PM
I'l assume you were referring to my comment, hardly a "newbie", I was in attendance at each of those games.

Never assume anything. I was referring to recent Hen fans and not anyone on this board. I have met some folks who thought that the NC game was the first time UD played Colgate. If I want to direct a comment to someone typically I quote their post.

saint0917
February 24th, 2006, 01:10 PM
The facts are, and this has come up in the meetings that we have had on Beacon Hill regarding a leap to IA, UMASS' Prop 48 situation makes them less than enticing to ANY league.

I for one would like to see Umass stay I-AA for now. Dane96, do you have a link to these "facts"? If there was a meeting on Beacon Hill someone must have been recording the "minutes". Or are these "Secret Documents" ? Or is this just really your opinion????

Dane96
February 24th, 2006, 01:28 PM
No, they are actually facts. Believe you me, I am in no position to be tossing out a load of crap WITHOUT losing my job. And, this is no secret (regarding Prop 48).

DTSpider
February 24th, 2006, 02:27 PM

Isn't CAA Football is set up the same way A10 football was as a separate entity from the CAA. The CAA has already offerred and every school has accepted that invitation. Actually, every school except Richmond accepted right away. Our loser president (thankfully soon to be ex-president) tried to get in the way...but that's another story. UMass won't have to change anything.

Richmond is as likely to join the SEC as UMass is to join the Big East. Just isn't going to happen anytime soon, if ever. Actually, Richmond probably has a better shot at the Big East than UMass.

Go...gate
February 24th, 2006, 02:30 PM
I did not realize Proposition 48 was still effective.

Tubby Raymond
February 24th, 2006, 02:37 PM
Never assume anything. I was referring to recent Hen fans and not anyone on this board. I have met some folks who thought that the NC game was the first time UD played Colgate. If I want to direct a comment to someone typically I quote their post.

Noted

colgate13
February 24th, 2006, 02:46 PM
I did not realize Proposition 48 was still effective.

Oh why let that little fact get in the way from an argument! :nod:

It's Prop 16 folks...since 1995.

umassfan
February 24th, 2006, 08:28 PM
No, they are actually facts. Believe you me, I am in no position to be tossing out a load of crap WITHOUT losing my job. And, this is no secret (regarding Prop 48).

Okay lets start from the top... You say we wouldnt be in the big east because of prop 48s? In football we have taken just one prop 48 in the past 4+ years. That was Baylark. As for basketball... we do take our share of prop 48s but they also leave UMass with a degree... Tell me the last prop 48 that came to UMass and didnt graduate. I'll be waiting awhile for that answer because you wont have one. Next lets go to UConn... you say UConn would have all this power to keep us out of the big east but yet you say Cuse and PC doesnt have that same power? How can that be... simple as this... you are wrong... but that wouldnt be a first. You come here acting like you have all this conference inside info. It has been publicly said in the past about Cuse and PC. What many people dont realize here is that the state of massachusetts is a big part of why UConn plays in I-A right now. They get their money from foxwoods and Mo Sun. The majority of people going to those casinos are Mass residents. If Casinos were ever passed in Mass, UMass would be on the fast track to I-A, but in the mean time, I am happy where we are and I feel the university is too. I only said we had a better chance of being in the Big East then we would being in a conference with CCSU, Albany, and Stony Brook. Do not take that as me saying we will be in the Big East soon or however you want to read it. The CAA football conference will be together for at least 5-10 years. Anything can happen during that time span. Just remember that!

umassfan
February 24th, 2006, 08:31 PM
Isn't CAA Football is set up the same way A10 football was as a separate entity from the CAA. The CAA has already offerred and every school has accepted that invitation. Actually, every school except Richmond accepted right away. Our loser president (thankfully soon to be ex-president) tried to get in the way...but that's another story. UMass won't have to change anything.

Richmond is as likely to join the SEC as UMass is to join the Big East. Just isn't going to happen anytime soon, if ever. Actually, Richmond probably has a better shot at the Big East than UMass.

Richmond is a small private school... UMass is a large state university. Get a clue... UMass has the Boston market to bring back to the Big East. Richmond has what? the Richmond market? Big difference there.

UNH_Alum_In_CT
February 24th, 2006, 09:52 PM
What many people dont realize here is that the state of massachusetts is a big part of why UConn plays in I-A right now. They get their money from foxwoods and Mo Sun. The majority of people going to those casinos are Mass residents. If Casinos were ever passed in Mass, UMass would be on the fast track to I-A, but in the mean time, I am happy where we are and I feel the university is too.

You can't be serious with that casino stuff!

UConn received a gift of something like 75 acres of land in East Hartford from United Technologies to build a new 40K seat stadium.
UConn got a $93 Million appropriation from the General Assembly to build that stadium as well as practice and training facilities back up in Storrs.
The State of CT only gets $$ from the casinos on the slots, not the table games. The amount of money received is a fraction of what the casinos are raking in. You're making one heck of a quantum leap thinking that money was approved only because taxes from the casinos allowed it. You don't understand UConn Nation.
UConn Nation is large, active and vocal. Once they were told keeping the basketball program a major player was at risk without I-A football then there wasn't enough opposition to stop that appropriation. I don't think there was a politician in the state that had the nuggets to fight Lew Perkins and UConn Nation on this one.
JMHO, but I've never seen any sign of a UMass fan base within the state that wields that type of power.
JMHO, but I've never seen any sign of a cooperative effort in Mass. that could rival what the CT troika of government, industry and the public pulled off.
Therefore IMHO, even with casino money in Mass., I doubt you'd see that type of appropriation passed on Beacon Hill.

mainejeff
February 24th, 2006, 11:10 PM
The CAA football conference will be together for at least 5-10 years.

Wrong. It will not be in its current form in 5 years, nevermind 10.

umassfan
February 24th, 2006, 11:46 PM
Wrong. It will not be in its current form in 5 years, nevermind 10.
Maybe Maine might jump off the ship or URI or UNH but UMass is there to stay unless they move up. We will not take a step back with our program. Sorry jeffy but you are wrong if you think UMass will not be apart of the CAA football conference for 5-10 years

mainejeff
February 25th, 2006, 12:21 AM
Whatever you say bud........

umassfan
February 25th, 2006, 03:04 AM
Whatever you say bud........

You add up the NCs that Maine URI and UNH have and they are still less then UMass.:nod:

saint0917
February 25th, 2006, 06:41 AM
The facts are, and this has come up in the meetings that we have had on Beacon Hill regarding a leap to IA, UMASS' Prop 48 situation makes them less than enticing to ANY league.

It's Prop 16 folks...since 1995.

So you had a meeting on Beacon Hill about something that hasn't been around since 1995, or did this meeting take place before 1995? :eyebrow: As Cap'n Cat would say, "You have been flagged 15 yards" for lack of credibility. Once again please show me some facts that Umass is nothing more than a prop. 48...uh prop.16 school like you imlpy they are. The reason Umass doesn't take the leap to IA is simple, the lack of financial support from the people on Beacon Hill.

rfeng
February 28th, 2006, 10:40 AM
Hello :)
I would like to introduce myself, hope to hear some objective analysis and contribute the same.

I was pleased when Mass dropped AIC from the schedule and would like to see us all play a stronger schedule that is more attractive to the players and the fans. At least 2 OOC games ( ideally in difference conferences) would give our schools more national publicity and recognition.

Before the argument is made we don't play enough games, at one time we only played 10 games per year. I heard on the radio this morning that it was a matter of time before the I-A schools added another game to their schedules. For the I-A teams there is too much money being left on the table. If they increase the number of games they play, we will follow suit.

saint0917
February 28th, 2006, 11:16 AM
Welcome aboard Umass1863 :beerchug: xprost2x

henfan
February 28th, 2006, 11:19 AM
Before the argument is made we don't play enough games, at one time we only played 10 games per year. I heard on the radio this morning that it was a matter of time before the I-A schools added another game to their schedules... If they increase the number of games they play, we will follow suit.

I think you're mistaken (or the report you heard was mistaken.) I-A just added a 12th regular season game in 2005. The NCAA has no plans to add additional games to the schedule for I-A.

Now, I-AA is contemplating adding 12 regular season games to its schedule beginning 2006. That measure will be considered by the NCAA Board of Directors at their April meeting.

rfeng
February 28th, 2006, 11:48 AM
Now, I-AA is contemplating adding 12 regular season games to its schedule beginning 2006. That measure will be considered by the NCAA Board of Directors at their April meeting.When (if) this vote passes, it will give us one additional game that I hope is used for the aforementioned purpose. I would like to see Mass go to other conferences around the country and see how we stack up nationally, on the football field, which is always better than the voting booth. Adding another cupcake to the schedule doesn't help the DII schools or our schools.

rfeng
February 28th, 2006, 11:51 AM
Thank you Saint. I have always considered your posts balanced and objective and look forward to reading them. :beerchug:

blukeys
February 28th, 2006, 01:23 PM
When (if) this vote passes, it will give us one additional game that I hope is used for the aforementioned purpose. I would like to see Mass go to other conferences around the country and see how we stack up nationally, on the football field, which is always better than the voting booth.

We all would like to see that but cost constraints usually get in the way. The Montana AD got into a lot of hot water a couple of years back due to the travel costs in scheduling Maine.

Not only would Umass be able to see where they are nationally, It gives everyone a chance to see relative strength of conferences. Umass though has many local options that would challenge the team and will no doubt explore those first before incurring huge travel costs.

Go...gate
February 28th, 2006, 03:47 PM
12 games. So much for the open date so you can let your game injuries heal and maybe a bit, which, on this level, is still the primary reason you are in school.

GannonFan
March 1st, 2006, 08:55 AM
12 games. So much for the open date so you can let your game injuries heal and maybe a bit, which, on this level, is still the primary reason you are in school.

Not every school had an open date even under an 11 game schedule. If you start a week later than most schools, you would play 11 straight games in 11 weeks. I suppose you could say the first week is then an open week but you don't get to heal like you say. Playing without an open week isn't the huge burden you seem to think it is.