PDA

View Full Version : Frisco, Ticket Sales and the NC Game too far out does anybody still care?

Go Apps
January 6th, 2011, 06:47 AM
Seems like the playoffs ended long ago - and they should have! I believe this long break will not be positive for FCS and I am curious as to how many tickets have been sold thus far?

caribbeanhen
January 6th, 2011, 07:41 AM
Seems like the playoffs ended long ago - and they should have! I believe this long break will not be positive for FCS and I am curious as to how many tickets have been sold thus far?

they did end long ago for Appy.... Go Hens

henfan
January 6th, 2011, 07:52 AM

Just over 10K tix sold as of a few days ago. With the decent weather & warm temps forecasted, there should be a nice walk up crowd.

Not sure how the long break will affect the FCS one way or another, since you didn't explain why you feel that way. I can tell you that the extra time allowed several players on both sides to heal and the two teams to prepare for one another.

On a personal note, I'm glad the game is being held after the holidays or I might not have been able to attend.xthumbsupx

UD77
January 6th, 2011, 08:01 AM
KC Keeler is a fan of having some of a delay between the semi and finals.

danefan
January 6th, 2011, 09:00 AM
KC Keeler is a fan of having some of a delay between the semi and finals.

So is the EWU coach.

Seems to me like all the "complainers" are fans of schools not in the championship.......

NHwildEcat
January 6th, 2011, 09:02 AM
I am fine with the break...I would not have been able to watch this game if it had been played per usual. So I am looking forward to tomorrow night's tilt! GO CAA!

zymergy
January 6th, 2011, 09:11 AM
I think the break is advantageous to both the teams and the fans. Teams get more time to recoup and prepare, and the fans get more time to make travel arrangements. It's easier to get time off work etc. with 3 weeks notice. As far as it being in Frisco I think those fans who travel will follow their team where ever the game is played. FCS will never fill 60k stadium so does tickets sales really mean much? It's all about the the fun and good times of those who choose to make the journey!!

Saint3333
January 6th, 2011, 09:12 AM
The posts per day on this site certainly have decreased. The build up certainly isn't there. I haven't seen one ESPN promo for the game, at least when it was the week following the semis it was fresh in the viewers minds.

danefan
January 6th, 2011, 09:52 AM
The posts per day on this site certainly have decreased. The build up certainly isn't there. I haven't seen one ESPN promo for the game, at least when it was the week following the semis it was fresh in the viewers minds.

There is considerably more action on the CS.com regarding the NC game then here. I noticed that as well.

Lehigh Football Nation
January 6th, 2011, 10:03 AM
I think a lot of this is growing pains around Frisco way. Where Chatty really shined was in their last few years when they made the atmosphere at the game feel like a bowl. Frisco is very new at all of this, and there are a lot of unknowns in regards to cost.

Underestimated in this, too, is the complete lack of involvement of the local paper in ANY way. The Chattanooga TFP had boatloads of stories on the game. The Dallas paper (is there a Frisco paper?) could give a flying turd about the game, and it hurts.

Ivytalk
January 6th, 2011, 10:09 AM
I'll have my lounge chair and wheeled beer cooler on hand on Friday night!xhurrayx

danefan
January 6th, 2011, 10:20 AM
I think a lot of this is growing pains around Frisco way. Where Chatty really shined was in their last few years when they made the atmosphere at the game feel like a bowl. Frisco is very new at all of this, and there are a lot of unknowns in regards to cost.

Underestimated in this, too, is the complete lack of involvement of the local paper in ANY way. The Chattanooga TFP had boatloads of stories on the game. The Dallas paper (is there a Frisco paper?) could give a flying turd about the game, and it hurts.

There have been numerous local news stories on the game. There's a thread over on CS.com with a bunch of news stories from the Plano Times and Dallas Morning News.

GannonFan
January 6th, 2011, 11:11 AM
There have been numerous local news stories on the game. There's a thread over on CS.com with a bunch of news stories from the Plano Times and Dallas Morning News.

Agreed - plenty of news coverage in Dallas. But really, who cares? Outside of today and tomorrow, what fans are really checking the Dallas papers?

Tons of whining by fans of teams not in the game. Too bad - for those of us with a stake in the game, the leadup to the game has been fantastic!!! Can't wait until tomorrow.

McNeese72
January 6th, 2011, 11:30 AM

Huh????? Zem, a McNeese fan and former coach that lives in the DFW area, says there have been numerous articles about the game in the local paper. He also says a hardcopy of this magazine is being delivered or is available around town. There are signs everywhere downtown and a lot of the high schools' electronic messageboards are displaying game info. He says the local electronic media have had stories, also.

http://www.friscostyle.com/index.php/around-town-two

I don't where you are getting that there has been no publicity.

Doc

Lehigh Football Nation
January 6th, 2011, 11:50 AM
Huh????? Zem, a McNeese fan and former coach that lives in the DFW area, says there have been numerous articles about the game in the local paper. He also says a hardcopy of this magazine is being delivered or is available around town. There are signs everywhere downtown and a lot of the high schools' electronic messageboards are displaying game info. He says the local electronic media have had stories, also.

http://www.friscostyle.com/index.php/around-town-two

I don't where you are getting that there has been no publicity.

Doc

If I google "FCS Championship" using their news filter, I get zero articles from the Dallas Morning News.

"Sports Day DFW" has no articles about the championship game on their front page:

http://www.dallasnews.com/sports/

"How Mike Sherman Turned TAMU Around", however, is on the front page.

"Frisco Style" may have some info on the game - please, enlighten me with more links.

danefan
January 6th, 2011, 11:52 AM
If I google "FCS Championship" using their news filter, I get zero articles from the Dallas Morning News.

"Sports Day DFW" has no articles about the championship game on their front page:

"Frisco Style" may have some info on the game - please, enlighten me with more links.

I think you can read this without having an account
http://www.championshipsubdivision.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=21262

I think the Chatty papers did a great job covering the NC game while it was in Chatty. No arguing there.

I don't see the point in continuing to compare news coverage though. For one I don't think it really matters whether there are 1000000 or 10 articles in the local paper. Also, I would suggest hat we wait until the game happens before you pass judgment.

cowboy91
January 6th, 2011, 12:26 PM

Last few years = Appalachian State fans = Southern Conference ownership for the past 20+ years. "Marshall Invitational" anyone?

Not anymore.

AshevilleApp2
January 6th, 2011, 12:34 PM
Last few years = Appalachian State fans = Southern Conference ownership for the past 20+ years. "Marshall Invitational" anyone?

Not anymore.

Did you used to post under a different name? I see your join date is November 2010.

AshevilleApp2
January 6th, 2011, 12:35 PM
Hopefully the game will sell well, if not sell out entirely. Good luck to both teams.

CrazyCat
January 6th, 2011, 12:44 PM
I've been impressed with the amount of coverage given to EWU and the championship game by my local news stations.

SpeedkingATL
January 6th, 2011, 01:44 PM
Yeah, I think FCS fans still care. A couple of my App buddies in ATL and I are getting together to watch the game. I liked to old 16 team format better and if the game were in Chatty we might drive up for it; that said I'm sure the EWU and Delaware fans don't have a problem with the delay or location.

McNeese72
January 6th, 2011, 03:08 PM

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/spt/colleges/tcu/stories/010611dnspofcsbriefs.776605.html

http://shopping.dallasnews.com/ROP/ads.aspx?s=y&advid=1360088&adid=10376785

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/dn/latestnews/stories/010311dnmetfriscobowl.598343.html

http://friscoblog.dallasnews.com/

This is just a few lately.

Doc

McNeese72
January 6th, 2011, 03:31 PM
Local newscast.

http://www.nbcdfw.com/news/sports/True_NCAA_Championship_Game_in_Frisco_Dallas-Fort_Worth-112970499.html?__source=Watch%20This&autoPlay=true

Doc

chattanoogamocs
January 6th, 2011, 04:16 PM
Of course, just about everyone on here still cares...this is the hardcore base of FCS football. The could play it in April and we'd all be excited.

But, I would argue that many of the casual fans from FCS schools have probably almost forgotten about it (I'll admit it, I had almost forgotten).
I always liked how the excited built each week of the playoffs...there is none of that this year.

However, I also feel the same way about FBS/BCS games...Games should end on January 2nd...all the biggies on New Years Day and then the mythical title game on the 2nd. Playing the BCS title game on the 10th is crazy...after New Years, many fans are shifting their focus to basketball (Sept thru Dec is football...Jan thru March is basketball in my family).

And I get that it gives the teams time to heal wounds...but it also gives time for rust to accumulate (as much time as EWU and UD have had off, just think about Auburn and Oregon, they haven't played in over a month...37 days between the SEC championship and the BCS title game).

I don't have a good answer to the problem, but...IMO...it is a problem at least from a continuity standpoint. I guess like anything, it just takes a couple of years to adjust...I never though calling this division FCS would ever catch on either, but with time, it did. Hopefully this will work itself out too.

DFW HOYA
January 6th, 2011, 04:32 PM
Probably about as many people care about Frisco as those who care about the "GoDaddy.com Bowl".

McNeese72
January 6th, 2011, 05:03 PM
Probably about as many people care about Frisco as those who care about the "GoDaddy.com Bowl".

They'll be a few McNeese fans that will probably tune into the GoDaddy.com Bowl. Lance Guidry, the interim coach of Miami (OH) played at McNeese and was an assistant coach at McNeese a couple of times for a few years. I'll tune in to check on Lance. Of course, as a head coach, he will probably have his sideline "enthusiasm" toned down a little. He was always a little "entertaining" for us people on the sidelines at McNeese on good or bad plays. ;)

Doc

JohnStOnge
January 6th, 2011, 07:20 PM
Here's one I happened across today: http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/spt/colleges/topstories/stories/010510dnspofcsdate.3b6dc0.html

Headline is:

"You want playoffs? Just head to Frisco for FCS title game."

It mentions James Madison beating Virginia Tech and Delaware beating James Madison.

UCABEARS75
January 7th, 2011, 08:03 AM
I will be at the game supporting FCS football.

I hope it is a great game and fans from both teams (and others like me) have a great trip and a great time in Frisco.