PDA

View Full Version : SLC's UTSA Begins Football Study

TexasTerror
February 21st, 2006, 08:42 AM
Here we go again. Our SLC rival in San Antonio is looking at football once more. We'll see where this study takes us, but I think UTSA is seriously pushing for football and trying to bank off the quasi-success of the Saints in New Orleans and the desire for football in San Antonio...

Area Colleges: UTSA launches study with football in mind
Web Posted: 02/21/2006 12:00 AM CST

San Antonio Express-News

A feasibility study to help determine if UTSA is prepared to establish a football program is under way, school officials confirmed Monday.

The study will be conducted by Carr Sports Associates Inc. and will cost between $50,000-$57,000 — plus travel expenses — UTSA athletic director Lynn Hickey said.

"With the growth of the university, and the culture of San Antonio, we'll finally have the opportunity to look at (the possibility of football)," Hickey said. "As the study moves forward, it will help tell us the potential for that."

Hickey said the study began last week with the interviewing of several athletic department employees and select student-athletes. She said it would take approximately four months to complete. Upon its completion, a proposal will be submitted to UTSA president Ricardo Romo.

The feasibility study, however, won't be the sole factor in determining the possibility of football at UTSA. It will focus on the athletic department's inner workings, but it won't take into account outside considerations like a potential football stadium.

Hickey said other studies may be needed to explore financial considerations. A marketing study may be necessary, and stadium plans would also need to be discussed, Hickey said.

"This is the first time we've done a study like this," Hickey said. "We're glad to have the opportunity for it to be done."

http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/stories/MYSA022106.3D.local.roundup.d0ae33b.html

wannabegaucho
February 21st, 2006, 09:33 AM
They're the only D1 program in San Antonio area -- is that right? (I know San Marcos is north of San Antonio)

walliver
February 21st, 2006, 10:07 AM
trying to bank off the quasi-success of the Saints in New Orleans and the desire for football in San Antonio

If they are trying to appeal to the San Antonio community, I wonder if they will try to do the FIU/FAU thing and try to go I-A. I-AA football appeals to students, alumni and friends of the schools involved, but unfortunately doesn't have much appeal to the man-on-the-street football fan. Of course Sunbelt football doesn't have much appeal to the average fan either.

TexasTerror
February 21st, 2006, 10:24 AM
They're the only D1 program in San Antonio area -- is that right? (I know San Marcos is north of San Antonio)

Correct. Only Div I program in San Antonio. Closest programs are Texas State - San Marcos in San Marcos and Univ of Texas in Austin...

If they are trying to appeal to the San Antonio community, I wonder if they will try to do the FIU/FAU thing and try to go I-A. I-AA football appeals to students, alumni and friends of the schools involved, but unfortunately doesn't have much appeal to the man-on-the-street football fan. Of course Sunbelt football doesn't have much appeal to the average fan either.

San Antonio is a nice market and UTSA is pretty successful across the board. There's been talks of them being in C-USA for football in a transition similar to what UAB did a few years back where they were I-AA football and then went to I-A football...

Freightliner
February 21st, 2006, 10:55 AM
The study will be conducted by Carr Sports Associates Inc. and will cost between $50,000-$57,000 — plus travel expenses — UTSA athletic director Lynn Hickey said.

Carr Sports Associates was the same company that did Texas State's feasability study for its failed attempt at Div I football.

Bill Carr is the ex-AD at the University of Houston.

Ya think the UT system regents might have something to say about this?

TexasTerror
February 21st, 2006, 10:58 AM
Ya think the UT system regents might have something to say about this?

Of course they do. I think the Horns, whom just spent a pretty penny on their own stadium renovations (due to be ready for 2007) will say UTSA can maintain football, but only at I-AA level...

Freightliner
February 21st, 2006, 11:30 AM
Of course they do. I think the Horns, whom just spent a pretty penny on their own stadium renovations (due to be ready for 2007) will say UTSA can maintain football, but only at I-AA level...

Agreed.

UT is currently working on expanding their press box to incorporate MORE club seating(was over @UT the other day) and as soon as the A&M game is over...the next project begins - taking out the north endzone and building another deck on top of the current one.

IMO Let UTSA play in the Alamodome. It would be one heck of a recruiting tool! Then all they have to build is a football complex/practice fields.

TexasTerror
February 21st, 2006, 11:53 AM
IMO Let UTSA play in the Alamodome. It would be one heck of a recruiting tool! Then all they have to build is a football complex/practice fields.

Alamodome? Really?

Why can't they play at Alamo Stadium? Holds 23,000. Has everything they really need as a I-AA football-playing institution and it won't cost nearly as much as the Alamodome.

Just need to work out a deal to make it happen...

http://www.texasbob.com/football/images/tbhs_AlamoSA.jpg

Bobcat94
February 21st, 2006, 12:18 PM
....... Of course Sunbelt football doesn't have much appeal to the average fan either.

Ha! Good point.

Would I-AA football in SA trigger looking into relocating the national title game to the Alamo Dome? Good football venue, great town to visit. San Marcos is less than 40 minutes away from SA. But I have no problem with UTSA gettin' a team. That's one game I'd make every year no matter which team was home.

I'd agree with TT that Alamo Stadium probably fits better, but I think the Alamo Dome would be the way to go even with a bunch of empty sets at first. I believe, we will be suprised with the attendance they get down there if it happens.

TexasTerror
February 21st, 2006, 12:23 PM
Would I-AA football in SA trigger looking into relocating the national title game to the Alamo Bowl? Good football venue, great town to visit. San Marcos is less than 40 minutes away from SA. But I have no problem with UTSA gettin' a team. That's one game I'd make every year no matter which team was home.

If we get UTSA and A&M-CC to have football, it'd definitely make things great in the SLC because then we could have ten football schools and that would mean nine conference games and make the non-confernce scheduling even better...

UCA
SHSU
TxSt-SM
SFA
SELA
McN
Nich
NW ST

Oh wait, nine-conference games, the "nine-game mandate" that the SWAC has. That wouldn't be so great. I wouldn't mind an eight-game conference slate. Four homes. Four aways.

UCABEARS75
February 21st, 2006, 03:03 PM
I hope they do begin football at the D-Iaa level.

Only would help our conference and reduce the constant searching for OOC games.

Plus, I like San Antonio and would give me one more chance to go down that way every other year.

Bobcat94
February 21st, 2006, 03:28 PM
If we get UTSA and A&M-CC to have football, it'd definitely make things great in the SLC because then we could have ten football schools and that would mean nine conference games and make the non-confernce scheduling even better...

UCA
SHSU
TxSt-SM
SFA
SELA
McN
Nich
NW ST

Oh wait, nine-conference games, the "nine-game mandate" that the SWAC has. That wouldn't be so great. I wouldn't mind an eight-game conference slate. Four homes. Four aways.

I think 10 teams work with five and five on each side of a split conference and rotating schedules for the other division. 7 or 8 games in conference.

What do you think about the Alamo Dome hosting I-AA Championship? I say it's a great fit.

txstatebobcat
February 21st, 2006, 04:13 PM
I think that UTSA could really take off as a football school. The alamo bowl and the saints proved that San antonio is starved for football. I wouldn't be surprised to see UTSA get 15,000+ crowds from the first game on.

Do you guys really think that UT-Austin has that much power to dictate what division UTSA plays in? Especially considering that SA's heavy political hitters are on the CUSA bandwagon. Not that I expect them to jump to UTSA without an Alamo Bowl alliance(Then CUSA would be practically be on hands and knees for UTSA to join them). Don't get me wrong, I wouldn't mind if you guys were right. UTSA could be a major asset to the Southland.

Either way, the roadrunners could be the major rival that TxSt has been looking for since A&M-Kingsville back in our D-II days. It could mean a guaranteed sellout for us and 25-30,000+ at the Alamodome every other year when we go to San Antonio.

DFW HOYA
February 21st, 2006, 08:28 PM
I'm a little more worried that Carr Sports Associates is doing the study rather than what the UT regents up the road are thinking. The Carr estimates skew high and schools get cold feet (see George Mason).

February 21st, 2006, 08:39 PM
... What do you think about the Alamo Dome hosting I-AA Championship? I say it's a great fit.Way too big for a crowd that has only six days notice to get there.

Seating capacity: Football 65,000 (expandable to 72,000)

Time to convert Mark Cuban to I-AA!

Tod
February 21st, 2006, 08:45 PM

UCA
SHSU
TxSt-SM
SFA
SELA
McN
Nich
NW ST

I thought the Southland only had seven current football schools and UCA + UTSA would take it to nine. No?

Tod
February 21st, 2006, 08:50 PM
Way too big for a crowd that has only six days notice to get there.

Seating capacity: Football 65,000 (expandable to 72,000)

Time to convert Mark Cuban to I-AA!

True, Ralph. But with some advertising, wouldn't a Texas town of 1.4 million probably add quite a crowd? It's an assumption, and I don't think for a minute it would get 65,000 (even the Stones didn't sell out when I went in '95, I believe), but I'd think there could be 25-30K there easily.

GeauxLions94
February 21st, 2006, 11:30 PM
[b]If we get UTSA and A&M-CC to have football, it'd definitely make things great in the SLC because then we could have ten football schools[b] and that would mean nine conference games and make the non-confernce scheduling even better...

UCA
SHSU
TxSt-SM
SFA
SELA
McN
Nich
NW ST

And how about getting Lamar and UTA (both with existing facilities) to bring back football as well. A 12-team Southland Conference with an eight-game skeddie (schedule SLC games like the SEC)? That would be nice.

WUTNDITWAA
February 21st, 2006, 11:34 PM
Carr will report whatever the administration wants to hear.

gokats85
February 21st, 2006, 11:36 PM
Alamodome? Really?

Why can't they play at Alamo Stadium? Holds 23,000. Has everything they really need as a I-AA football-playing institution and it won't cost nearly as much as the Alamodome.

Just need to work out a deal to make it happen...

http://www.texasbob.com/football/images/tbhs_AlamoSA.jpg

They would share the stadium with Division III Trinity, and I believe there are a few HS games there too. You guys from San Antone please correct me if I'm wrong.

TexasTerror
February 22nd, 2006, 07:08 AM
I thought the Southland only had seven current football schools and UCA + UTSA would take it to nine. No?

SLC has eight with the addition of UCA. That's SHSU, TxSt, SFA, Nich, NWSt, SELA, McN and UCA. Seven this year, but eight in the following when UCA joins. With UTSA talking football, as well as talks in recent memory at UTA, Lamar (Billy Tubbs mentioned it on his radio show) and A&M-CC (they discussed it when they got offered invite to SLC), who knows what'll happen...

Bobcat94
February 22nd, 2006, 10:28 AM
True, Ralph. But with some advertising, wouldn't a Texas town of 1.4 million probably add quite a crowd? It's an assumption, and I don't think for a minute it would get 65,000 (even the Stones didn't sell out when I went in '95, I believe), but I'd think there could be 25-30K there easily.

I'd agree with the assessment. SA would bring the fans in if it was marketed correctly. It wouldn't sell out, but be well attended. And I think that even more I-AA fans would be interested in a trip to SA with the potential to play golf and visit the riverwalk. SA could put the I-AA chamionship on the map.

Freightliner
February 22nd, 2006, 12:23 PM
They would share the stadium with Division III Trinity, and I believe there are a few HS games there too. You guys from San Antone please correct me if I'm wrong.

Trinity has their own stadium they play in.

It would however conflict with HS games though.

Not only that...the facilities around the stadium are HORRIBLE.