PDA

View Full Version : Why did you attend your FCS School?

Gil Dobie
January 2nd, 2011, 06:59 PM
Was it because of academics, location, family, cost, combination or other.

I went to NDSU because it was in North Dakota, close to home, and my dad went there, and mother took classes over the years as a teacher. Got my Math & Science BS degree there, moved to Omaha to work and added a BS in Computer Science from the University of Nebraska Omaha. Still pulling for Omaha to move to FCS.

psc2445
January 2nd, 2011, 07:55 PM
Pretty Close to home, Had the chance to play with my brother who was 2 years older than me. Overall it was a no brainer. I entertained other options, but the opportunity for us to be in school at the same time and be on the same team just made too much sense. Also allowed the family to be able to attend all the games.

AppStateold299
January 2nd, 2011, 08:02 PM
Close enough to home where I could go home if I wanted, but far enough away that I didn't have too. It had a good football atmosphere, amazing outdoor activities, and fun college atmosphere. The big reason was ski slopes nearby. I know they aren't anything to write home about, but I could go skiing all the time. I joined the ski team and got to travel all up and down the eastern coast to ski against other colleges. By far the most fun I have ever had in my life. To me it was amazing and I wouldn't trade my experiences at Appalachian State for anything in the world.

dungeonjoe
January 2nd, 2011, 08:11 PM
Back in the day, FCS had nothing to do with it. Wofford was an NAIA institution; but that didn't matter, either, since I didnt go to play football. It had good academics and was a comfortable drive from home.

The Eagle's Cliff
January 2nd, 2011, 08:12 PM
Looks like "close to home" is a running theme. I became a "fan" before I became a student and the thought of going anywhere else was never really an issue. I think for undergraduate work, most schools are on the same level anyway.

BEAR
January 2nd, 2011, 08:15 PM
Because one day, years ago, UCA Bear football players came to my elementary school and read books to my class. We were all starstruck. Never looked back. Made the easy choice to go there. Graduated twice from there (bachelors and masters) and now am a rabid supporter! If any of you are players on any of the athletic teams at your FCS school, GO to those elementary schools and read to them, get involved with youth in your area....it created a lifelong love of learning in me, it will them too!

dungeonjoe
January 2nd, 2011, 08:16 PM
Let me clarify: Wofford was three hours plus from home. Not too close for surprise parental visits...

DJOM
January 2nd, 2011, 08:28 PM
Both sons attended FCS schools. Both were heavily recruited by FBS and FCS teams. We choose FCS because of educational and employment opportunities. One son graduated with Finance degree--currently studying for MBA---other will be graduating with degree in Civil Engineering. FBS teams told both that they could only take communications courses. Pretty easy decision.

Reign of Terrier
January 2nd, 2011, 08:30 PM
Let me clarify: Wofford was three hours plus from home. Not too close for surprise parental visits...

I thought you were trying to NOT make me want to go to App State?

Ivytalk
January 2nd, 2011, 08:46 PM
I think I went to Harvard because of the name and the overall reputation. I was tempted to go to Princeton, which had been my first choice until the last minute: I didn't expect to get into Harvard, but I did, and I couldn't say no. My most influential HS teacher gave me the final gentle "push" in the Harvard direction. I never really regretted it, but I've often wondered whether I might have received a better undergraduate education elsewhere.

TTUEagles
January 2nd, 2011, 09:03 PM
Only two 1-a offers and didn't think they were serious. A bunch of D-II offers to play, but, TTU was the only 1-AA to offer me to play football. I was very familiar with 1-AA due to being a fan of another 1-AA school growing up.

BlueHenSinfonian
January 2nd, 2011, 09:13 PM
I grew up in Newark, DE, and after my sophomore year of HS my parents bought a house that was practically on the UD campus, so I was inundated with all things Blue Hen. My HS band director arranged for me to play with the UD pep band during some basketball games, and I fell in love with the atmosphere. In Delaware, UD the the major university, and it has a great academic reputation nationwide, plus one of the most beautiful campuses I've ever been on. The fact that between academic and music scholarships I was able to attend, including room, board, and books, for a couple hundred bucks out of pocket per year certainly didn't hurt.

Redhawk2010
January 2nd, 2011, 10:59 PM
I chose SEMO because the university gave me an academic scholarship and my professional mentor went to SEMO as well. He got me to go there specifically for the athletic training program. It may not have the big name like a big school, but it was the right choice for me. I had the opportunity to work with the football team as well as many other sports. Unlike the big schools, when we work with athletes, we are involved on a daily basis. Injuries happen on the field and our students go out with the staff. That doesn't occur at bigger schools. In addition, I have been given the potential opportunity to make the step up to a Big 12 school for graduate school to pursue my dream..

Green26
January 2nd, 2011, 11:37 PM
I think I went to Harvard because of the name and the overall reputation. I was tempted to go to Princeton, which had been my first choice until the last minute: I didn't expect to get into Harvard, but I did, and I couldn't say no. My most influential HS teacher gave me the final gentle "push" in the Harvard direction. I never really regretted it, but I've often wondered whether I might have received a better undergraduate education elsewhere.

I'm sure you received a terrific education, but you might have had alot more fun at a school like Dartmouth. Former Dartmouth football player John Carney is now your (Delaware) Congressman.

GoAgs72
January 3rd, 2011, 01:10 AM
I wnet to UC Davis because it was the best agricultural college in the country. I knew nothing about its sports. My three kids also go (or went) to Davis partially because they were quite aware of the sports, but still mainly because of the academics. Now, it is by far mostly a non-agricultural school as far as the percent of students and my three kids majored in communications, aerospace engineering and exercise biology.

techstate
January 3rd, 2011, 01:54 AM
I choose Cal Poly because I'm an Oregon Duck fan, and I couldn't afford the out of state cost and also I don't agree with the hippy lifestyle most students have up there. I was looking at other PAC-10 schools but just wouldn't be able to root against the ducks. Also Cal Poly academics are way better, and the FCS level interested me because the chances of us playing the ducks are pretty low but we still have a respectable and competitive program where people actually go to the games and care about the team.

Wildcat80
January 3rd, 2011, 05:27 AM
Football Scholarship.....pure and simple. If not for that could NOT have afforded tuition costs.....probably end up at a D-3 school.

Bam
January 3rd, 2011, 07:18 AM
EKU= the Criminal Justice program is one of the best in the nation.

CFBfan
January 3rd, 2011, 07:23 AM
I'm sure you received a terrific education, but you might have had alot more fun at a school like Dartmouth. Former Dartmouth football player John Carney is now your (Delaware) Congressman.

sure, secluded in the middle of no where NH would cetainly be alot more fun then a nice city like Boston!

ElonPride
January 3rd, 2011, 08:20 AM
At the time, Elon had the best video production/editing equipment of all schools I visited. Production was the career I planned before college, so it was a no brainer. Now I sit having won numerous international awards, and a new shinny Emmy!

Not to mention, Elon has one of the most beautiful campuses I've seen!

AppMan
January 3rd, 2011, 08:31 AM
Loved the mountains and small town atmosphere. App State was not 1-AA when I attended. Our schedule was laced with teams like ECU, South Carolina, Clemson, NC State, Wake Forest, and VPI on a yearly basis. In 1975 we beat USC, ECU and Wake. It appeared we were on our way to the big time. In 1979 we expanded the stadium to 18,000 with another phase to 25,000 announced and on the board. Three years later we were kicked down to 1-AA and all that momentum just went away. It took 25 years to get it back.

Ivytalk
January 3rd, 2011, 08:32 AM

Yes, and I have a good Dartmouth friend at another firm whose FB career overlapped with Carney's. I have been regaled with the story of Carney's famous game-saving tackle of Yale's John Spagnola a number of times!

And I have often wondered whether I might have received a better education at an undergrad-focused school like Dartmouth or Princeton. I know that was one of P'ton's big selling points to kids who were weighing admits from H and P.

semobison
January 3rd, 2011, 09:12 AM
I went to NDSU because there were more women in Fargo than there were in Dickinson ND!

AshevilleApp2
January 3rd, 2011, 09:33 AM
They let me in.

appstate38
January 3rd, 2011, 09:45 AM
Had the opportunity to keep playing football and plus I liked the smaller campus. Only 3 hours from home so no surprise visits from the folks.... Bonus. Downside App started getting more funds from the State to improve the campus AFTER I graduated... Still beautiful campus.

Walkon79
January 3rd, 2011, 10:25 AM
I got a partial ride offer at Montana Tech (NAIA), but then I found out the ratio of guys to girls was 70/30!!

Walked on at MSU and played for two years before I decided that drinking beer and chasing women would be much more enjoyable than getting my head kicked in on scout team every day.

Oh, and mom, dad and all 5 brothers were Cats!!

SpeedkingATL
January 3rd, 2011, 10:32 AM
Loved the mountains and small town atmosphere. App State was not 1-AA when I attended. Our schedule was laced with teams like ECU, South Carolina, Clemson, NC State, Wake Forest, and VPI on a yearly basis. In 1975 we beat USC, ECU and Wake. It appeared we were on our way to the big time. In 1979 we expanded the stadium to 18,000 with another phase to 25,000 announced and on the board. Three years later we were kicked down to 1-AA and all that momentum just went away. It took 25 years to get it back.

I was there during the same time frame and it was a blast. Loved the mountains and it was also a financial decision as App was pretty affordable in those days. Worked for the Intramural Program and was able to graduate with no debt, something most students today can only imagine. I wouldn't change a thing....

bigCasu
January 3rd, 2011, 10:35 AM
My Dad graduated from Appalachian and was a big supporter of ASU football when I was young. He started taking me to football games when I was around 5 years old. Boone was a second home to me then. I applied several places in state, but Appalachian was the only place I wanted to go. Arrived in Boone in August 1999 and havent left since.

biggie
January 3rd, 2011, 10:47 AM
Mostly Academics for me, wanted to persue Accting degree, ASU was the highest rank instate school. Being only an hour from home and cheap didn't hurt the decision. Mtn location also influence over UNC-CH.

EdubAlum
January 3rd, 2011, 10:56 AM
I picked EWU not because of athletics, division 1 athletics was not important to me at the time, now if i were going to pick a school all over again, a D1 school (FBS or FCS) would be critical.

Mostly I liked the medium size (10,000 students), and the small class sizes (average ratio 27:1)....it was a sunny day when i toured campus, and the girls looked pretty hot:)

still glad i went there instead of U of O or Wazzu

Rekdiver
January 3rd, 2011, 11:07 AM
W O M E N and it was 1970 and I didn't want to go to Vietnam.

Green26
January 3rd, 2011, 11:16 AM
Yes, and I have a good Dartmouth friend at another firm whose FB career overlapped with Carney's. I have been regaled with the story of Carney's famous game-saving tackle of Yale's John Spagnola a number of times!

And I have often wondered whether I might have received a better education at an undergrad-focused school like Dartmouth or Princeton. I know that was one of P'ton's big selling points to kids who were weighing admits from H and P.

Who's your Dartmouth friend? Are you a lawyer? My firm has an office in Wilmo. I attended the game in which Carney ran down Spagnola, to save the 3 - 0 victory--or actually I tried to attend. While trying to carry an empty cooler into the game, and help sneak in a bunch of people without tiks, I was arrested, handcuffed, and taken by paddy wagon to New Haven jail. Didn't get myself bailed out until the game was ending (we weren't taught how to bail ourselves out at Davis Polk). The jail people were nice enough to bring me a transistor radio, so I could listen to the game in my cell. When I was hitch-hitching back to the game, one of the jail cops, who had just gotten off duty, stopped to give me a ride back to the stadium. I'm probably one of the few people who has fond memories of the New Haven jail

Rob Iola
January 3rd, 2011, 11:34 AM

Um, forgive me, but didn't you go to Wofford for a divinity degree or something related? What exactly were you worried about wrt surprise parental visits?

Chemhen
January 3rd, 2011, 11:53 AM
Why not?

Seriously though, I grew up in Newark and my parents are on the faculty, so free tuition and then other scholarships made it a free ride. Free vs. $40,000+/yr for a 'big name' school. Great campus, great atmosphere. Having class next to my mom's office was a bit weird, but other than that. Oh, and it let me keep going to UD football games.

bostonspider
January 3rd, 2011, 12:09 PM
I chose Richmond, for its size (2,800), location, campus, beauty, good looking girls, strong academics, good Division I sports...

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4043/5139976019_a030cf9d03_b.jpg

ngineer
January 3rd, 2011, 12:56 PM
I was recruited to play football at Lehigh, Lafayette, Delaware, and Cornell. When I got on Lehigh's campus and met some people it just 'felt' like what I expected college to be. In the end, it came down to Lehigh and Lafayette and I liked both coaches (Dunlap and Gamble). But I also heard that Gamble was likely leaving for Penn (which he did) so being at a school in 'transition' created some doubts in that direction. I also felt like Lehigh offered more options, academically, as a university since I wasn't sure which direction (law or business) I was planning to pursue. Growing up outside of Pottstown, PA, the top three were all about an hour and half drive away. Cornell and Delaware, in my final thinking, were 'too big' for what I figured I wanted, though I had some emotional ties to UD as my uncle played for Nelson from 1951-55.

Ivytalk
January 3rd, 2011, 01:05 PM
Who's your Dartmouth friend? Are you a lawyer? My firm has an office in Wilmo. I attended the game in which Carney ran down Spagnola, to save the 3 - 0 victory--or actually I tried to attend. While trying to carry an empty cooler into the game, and help sneak in a bunch of people without tiks, I was arrested, handcuffed, and taken by paddy wagon to New Haven jail. Didn't get myself bailed out until the game was ending (we weren't taught how to bail ourselves out at Davis Polk). The jail people were nice enough to bring me a transistor radio, so I could listen to the game in my cell. When I was hitch-hitching back to the game, one of the jail cops, who had just gotten off duty, stopped to give me a ride back to the stadium. I'm probably one of the few people who has fond memories of the New Haven jail

Check your PMs.

Redbird Ray
January 3rd, 2011, 01:27 PM
Bizzos

And because I couldn't get into UofI or Northwestern and did not want to pay out of state Big Ten tuition. Illinois State, better party school than NIU and SIU.

RabidRabbit
January 3rd, 2011, 01:29 PM
South Dakota St. - How can you NOT want to attend the College on the Hill, with the Campanille as its trademark symbol? xsmiley_wixxlolx

It was dad's employer, my uncle was a distinguished alum, had the best engineering program in the state, and offered competitive swimming (4-yr swim letterman). Given my background, I still would be going to SDSU if starting over.

Proud to be a Jackrabbit.

dungeonjoe
January 3rd, 2011, 04:44 PM
oh no... I went to Wofford back in the day when Moses wore diapers and floaties and the ministry was nowhere in my mind. I went for the academics and the small school stuff. It was Presbyterian, Furman, or Wofford for me. I was stupid enough then to think my parents would be checking up on me. As i now know as a father of three sons, they (nor I now) have that kind of time.

No divinity degrees given at Wofford anyway.

SideLine Shooter
January 3rd, 2011, 04:55 PM
My Dad graduated from Appalachian and was a big supporter of ASU football when I was young. He started taking me to football games when I was around 5 years old. Boone was a second home to me then. I applied several places in state, but Appalachian was the only place I wanted to go. Arrived in Boone in August 1999 and havent left since.

Are you still a student?

Green26
January 3rd, 2011, 07:32 PM
Check your PMs.

I tried to send you a PM, but I couldn't get it to go through. I know "Pie" quite well.

Ivytalk
January 3rd, 2011, 08:14 PM
I tried to send you a PM, but I couldn't get it to go through. I know "Pie" quite well.

I just cleared out my old messages. Please try again!

Cocky
January 3rd, 2011, 08:45 PM
Women and beer. Did have to go to Auburn to take english because I couldn't pass it at JSU ( got A at Auburn).

UMass922
January 3rd, 2011, 08:46 PM
Grew up in Connecticut but didn't want to go to UConn (or anywhere else in state). A large, out-of-state school, but still relatively close to home, was more or less what I wanted, and UMass (just an hour up the road) fit the bill.

Honestly, I didn't put a whole lot of though into it, but it ended up being a good decision anyway.

TheValleyRaider
January 3rd, 2011, 11:23 PM
Academics, location, just a good "feeling" on the campus

Athletics didn't necessarily play into it (Me? An athlete? xlolx), but I enjoyed and appreciated the way Colgate sold their D-I program as part of a school spirit, test yourself against the best, kind of thing.

ebirToG
January 4th, 2011, 08:40 AM
To spite UD...

Tubby came to speak at my HS award ceremony and told me in person that he "reviewed my films that I had sent and that I was too small and too slow to play at the level of football that UD competes at..."

So William and Mary opened up a walk on spot for me. I earned a scholarship and had multiple 100+ yard receiving games against UD over the next 4 years.

It actually worked out for the best. W&M was an amazing place to go to school and play football.

downbythebeach
January 4th, 2011, 08:50 AM
^^^^^^^^^^^
That's a great story

JoshUCA
January 4th, 2011, 09:18 AM
I went to UCA (Division II) at the time because of their strong undergraduate-only chemistry program. This helped me obtain great hands-on experience and prepare me for graduate school. I also loved the campus, distance from home (the perfect 3 hours), size of the student body (professors knew me by name). I didn't follow UCA sports until I got on campus, but my love for it has grown every year and now I'm obsessed (as my wife says). xlolx

bigCasu
January 4th, 2011, 09:30 AM
Are you still a student? Nah, I guess I should have clarified. I gradauted in 4 years and now call Boone home.

GannonFan
January 4th, 2011, 09:43 AM
Went to UD because they had a great chemical engineering program and Honors program. It was nice that it was close to home without being too close (about an hour) and the campus is gorgeous. The football never entered into it at all, and this from a guy who had been going to UD games since I was in the womb.

SideLine Shooter
January 4th, 2011, 10:08 AM
Nah, I guess I should have clarified. I gradauted in 4 years and now call Boone home.

You are a lucky one.

WestCoastAggie
January 4th, 2011, 10:24 AM
How I ended up at A&T: I wanted to go 2 So. Cal. but that $48,000 price tag scared me away. Was accepted to Cal Poly SLO, SJ State, Fresno St but then got the itch to head to an HBCU. I just wasn't feeling those other schools but Cal Poly would have been my choice. Went up there for a visit and had a great feeling about the place.

I was Accepted to Hampton, Norfolk St, Dillard, Xavier (LA) and a few others. It was between Hampton & A&T and Hampton Scared me away with their big rule book.

Now that I think about it, I think it was meant for me to be an Aggie.

I still wonder to this day how I ended up at Murray State for my Masters but geez this is a good school!

Ironically, Athletics weren't in my reasoning.

R3TRO
January 4th, 2011, 12:49 PM
Went to UNH because a grade 3 concussion ended my hockey career so I decided to stay in state. Pretty good academics and was a top-10 party school.

I-16Bandit
January 4th, 2011, 01:07 PM
Went to UNH because a grade 3 concussion ended my hockey career so I decided to stay in state. Pretty good academics and was a top-10 party school.

You don't necessarily want to brag about the party school thing. It can, and will, stick with your school forever. And that may not be a good thing down the road.

SpeedkingATL
January 4th, 2011, 02:08 PM
W O M E N and it was 1970 and I didn't want to go to Vietnam.

I remember visiting ASU during summer school in 1972 and there were girls sunbathing all over the place. Then found out that the student body was close to 70% female and decided that was a great environment for me to earn a degree. Never regreted the decision.

Hammerhead
January 4th, 2011, 03:03 PM
Money was the biggest reason for me. I payed my own way through college and chose to live at home and attend NDSU or MSU (now MSUM).

My first major was EEE so NDSU was the natural choice between those two. I was already a Bison sports fan in high school so I probably would have chosen NDSU anyway.

cowboy91
January 4th, 2011, 03:08 PM
Nah, I guess I should have clarified. I gradauted in 4 years and now call Boone home.

But when do you graduate?

R3TRO
January 4th, 2011, 04:27 PM
You don't necessarily want to brag about the party school thing. It can, and will, stick with your school forever. And that may not be a good thing down the road.

Lighten up pal.

proasu89
January 4th, 2011, 06:57 PM
It was down to App, NC State, & Elon. NC State was a choice because of a possible textile scholarship and Elon because of a small, very small golf schollie. Eventually chose App because of location, overall cost, and a chance to walk-on and play golf for 3 years. At the time the total cost was under 5K a year. Turned out to be a great decision and the wife and I enjoyed our time @ App so much that we moved back to Boone in 1998. Very glad not to have gone the textile route.

App-a-latch-un
January 4th, 2011, 07:35 PM
Only college in North Carolina I could ski while attending, which was the most important reason of all, and Boone is AWESOME!

Tuscon
January 4th, 2011, 07:56 PM
My school wasn't FCS when I applied. I lived in Atlanta and wanted to stick around, so I looked close to home. I am super excited to get to see this football thing start from the ground up!

MasonJar
January 5th, 2011, 08:13 AM
Honestly, by default.

Grew up in Boone with family on staff at ASU. As much as I loved Boone and Appalachian, I swore I would never stay home and go to college.

Sports were an option (baseball and basketball) but interest was from D-II and even with scholarship dollars the cost was more than full tuition at ASU. After flirting around with the idea of playing somewhere D-II I missed my chance to enrol at UNC or NCState. My mother, God rest her soul, insisted early on that I apply to ASU as a safety net.

Sure enough, I ended up going to ASU and was able to stay on campus my freshman year then an apartment after that. In retrospect, attending ASU is one of the best decisions I have ever made. I received a great education, stumbled into a booming technology field (ended up majoring in something I never dreamed of), made many great friends and contacts and met my wife/soul-mate.

It's Great to be a Mountaineer!

Franks Tanks
January 5th, 2011, 08:56 AM
I was recruited to play football. I would never have attended Lafayette otherwise.

If it wasn't for football I would've went to Penn State like the rest of my family.

DG Cowboy
January 5th, 2011, 09:23 AM
I can truly say at McNeese('68) I had really good teachers, was well-prepared for my career, made life-long friends, and had a hell of a good time. Going in, my choice was based on not wanting to be a number at LSU. Both brothers and one sis-in-law graduated from LSU. Both brothers were in the Army. I guess wanting to do my own thing was why I went to McNeese and later joined the marines.

MSU_77
January 5th, 2011, 11:23 AM
Two words: drinking age. At the time (early 70s) it was 21 in Texas where I grew up and 18 in Louisiana where McNeese was. So, although I had other options, I chose McNeese. However, I never regretted my choice - I got a good education despite all the partying that has served me well.

McNeese72
January 5th, 2011, 12:03 PM
Back then McNeese had the best pre-dental/pre-medical program in the state of Louisiana. Still ranks right up there, today.

caribbeanhen
January 5th, 2011, 12:06 PM
Went to UD because they had a great chemical engineering program and Honors program. It was nice that it was close to home without being too close (about an hour) and the campus is gorgeous. The football never entered into it at all, and this from a guy who had been going to UD games since I was in the womb.

can you help me with my homework GF?

caribbeanhen
January 5th, 2011, 12:12 PM
but I've often wondered whether I might have received a better undergraduate education elsewhere.

really? So all the hype about Harvard is about the same as ASU being a championship team w/o Armantixnodx

boonedocks
January 5th, 2011, 03:10 PM
really? So all the hype about Harvard is about the same as ASU being a championship team w/o Armantixnodx

Probably about the same as that 2005 Championship.

OL FU
January 5th, 2011, 04:08 PM
So I could say FU to all of you and you wouldn't be insultedxnodx

Well you might be but in that case, FUxwhistlex

cmaxwellgsu
January 5th, 2011, 11:31 PM
I had friends at both GSU and UGA, and got to visit both places. I enjoyed Statesboro a lot more than I did Athens. It just seemed to be a better fit, and there were better looking girls. After going to a couple of UGA games while living in Atlanta, I realized Statesboro was a much better gameday environment to me as well.

Tubby Raymond
January 6th, 2011, 04:40 AM
I picked EWU not because of athletics, division 1 athletics was not important to me at the time, now if i were going to pick a school all over again, a D1 school (FBS or FCS) would be critical.

Mostly I liked the medium size (10,000 students), and the small class sizes (average ratio 27:1)....it was a sunny day when i toured campus, and the girls looked pretty hot:)

still glad i went there instead of U of O or Wazzu
I picked EWU because I knew from the paltry fanbase they've always had that when I graduated and got my big boy pants I've have an opportunity to have a real important postion in life: Thats' right the moderator of a message board. And I would take these duties very seriously by banning anyone from the board whose opinion did not 100% give hand service to the mighty Eagles.

parr90
January 6th, 2011, 12:34 PM
What is an FCS school? I know that only football is FCS at Georgia Southern, the rest of sports are 1A. Is this to mean an FCS football schools?

Tuscon
January 6th, 2011, 12:41 PM
What is an FCS school? I know that only football is FCS at Georgia Southern, the rest of sports are 1A. Is this to mean an FCS football schools?

FCS = Football Championship Subdivision.....

WUTNDITWAA
January 6th, 2011, 01:27 PM
Simple. I was always afraid of getting knocked in the head by big falling pine cones. So I went to my high school guidance counsellor and asked her what was the farthest place, in-state, that I could get from those big pine cones. The small ones didn't scare me as much. She told me Western Carolina. I said that she'd have to do better than that, and she came back with Appalachian State. I said that was doable, and the rest is history.

GA St. MBB Fan
January 6th, 2011, 01:56 PM

Yeah I don't get the thread title either. Shouldn't the question be "Why did you attend your school?" Or "Why did you chose to go to college where you did?" Something to that effect.

ST_Lawson
January 6th, 2011, 03:34 PM
Financial and location:
I grew up less than a mile from campus. I could live at home and save quite a bit on room/food/etc. Plus, I've always had a great relationship with my parents, so they were fine with me staying out, sometimes all night, or whatever.
Also, my mother worked for the university, so I was able to get half off of tuition.
I was already very familiar with campus, so it kinda made it an easy decision for me.

ElonPride
January 6th, 2011, 03:36 PM
So I could say FU to all of you and you wouldn't be insultedxnodx

Well you might be but in that case, FUxwhistlex

HA! You guys to have one of the best cheers in college football!

bojeta
January 6th, 2011, 03:49 PM
Plain and simple. Cal Poly is one of the top academic institutions in the US/World. Had the opportunity and seized it. Next to my wife, it was the best decision in my life. My wife also graduated from Poly and just last year my daughter did as well. She is now working on her Ph.D. at another fine FCS school, UC Davis.

JohnStOnge
January 6th, 2011, 07:09 PM
I went to McNeese because that's where I always really wanted to go. I grew up in Lake Charles going with my Dad to McNeese football games. I went to LSU for one semester because that's where my High School counselor recommended I go. Back then LSU students could get into football games with their student ID but I never went to one. When McNeese was playing at home I'd drive back to Lake Charles and watch the Cowboys. After that semester I moved back to Lake Charles and went to McNeese.

AppMAN04
January 6th, 2011, 07:46 PM
Because when I attended ASU it was cheap, close but still far away from home.. Of course the atmosphere, beautiful scenery,GREENERY xnodx Such a laid back place and the coolest people who just love the earth we live on. Great times and I would not change a thing if I could except maybe not partake in as much Greenery as I did at the time.

OL FU
January 7th, 2011, 06:39 AM
HA! You guys to have one of the best cheers in college football!

We need to summon Dr Johns back from the dead so we could hear it a little more often.xnodx

bigCasu
January 7th, 2011, 12:00 PM
I graduated in 2003

tanagriz
January 7th, 2011, 01:41 PM
I went to Montana because it was 2,000 miles from home (after watching my parents "drop" in on my brother on Saturday mornings at Illinois State). They had a top ten journalism program at the time. And I love Montana and the mountains after spending nearly every summer out there as a kid. I also got into Indiana and Northwestern, but couldn't afford to go to either of them without incurring a hell o' a lot of debt. Out of state at Montana tuition is a lot less than in state at University of Illinois!

NHwildEcat
January 7th, 2011, 02:04 PM
I might be the only person responding to this post thus far that didn't go to the school they are a fan of and support. I grew up outside of the UNH campus (about a 15 min. drive) so I had always been to campus for various events and what have youi. My family worked at UNH for a number of years, and two of my Uncl'e have been season ticket holders for hockey for years upon years and my grandfather use to do radio work for football and hockey in the 70's. So as a whole my family has UNH pretty deep out blood.

However, I wanted to get out on my own and experience a different part of the state of NH. So I decided on a school in Manchester, Southern New Hampshire University. Another benefit to SNHU was that I had much smaller class sizes and the business resources were much more plentiful because of the location near down town of the largest city in the state. I was also lucky enough to have met my wife! I don't think I could have made a better decision.

Even while at SNHU I followed all things Wildcats, probably more so because we are a Divison-2 school and the world of D-2 athletics isn't one I am too interested in for the most part.