PDA

View Full Version : Question - Alumni Events at your school

Original_RMC
December 21st, 2010, 08:13 AM
Question for everyone and I'm hoping to gather some ideas.
What do schools out there do in terms of Alumni events/functions to ensure former players & coaches stay involved in the program?
Golf Outing?

I'm hoping to plan a yearly event like perhaps a golf outing but wanted to get an idea of what some more mature programs do. (Robert Morris started football in 1994)

I already put together a large Homecoming event where I pull 60-80 former players a year and we also do an alumni flag football game at Homecoming as well.

Thanks

Eaglesrus
December 21st, 2010, 09:31 AM
I don't know how much of it is individual alumni driven (as opposed to GSU's administration being involved) but there is a group that I believe is called something like the EFAA (Eagle Football Alumni Association). I don't qualify, so someone else like Parr90 could speak to it better than I can, but my understanding is that membership is open to anyone who has been directly involved in Georgia Southern football (players, coaches, trainers, etc.). They do at least one golf tournament a year and also have a dinner and auction each year. What I've heard is that money is used to fund scholarships and to aid those who have been a part of GSU football when in need. They also tailgate together but I don't know if that's every game or just sometimes like homecoming.

TTUEagles
December 21st, 2010, 10:18 AM
We (TTU) have an alumni reunion golf tournament every summer. All of the money goes to a general scholarship fund for football. They've done it for at least 10 years now, and every spot has been filled the last couple of years. They also have been doing (3-4 years now) a football alumni day at one of the home football games (independent of homecoming, but, I always thought that's what homecoming was for-?), but, this hasn't garnered quite as much interest. Only getting about 40-50 (guess) alumni there...

danefan
December 21st, 2010, 10:24 AM
We at Albany have a golf outting the third Saturday in July every year.

We also have a Linked-in group to allow job-networking exclusively amonst football alumni.

superman7515
December 21st, 2010, 10:28 AM
When you're about to have the biggest game of your season in the playoffs against a conference opponent on primetime national tv, have a viewing party 5 miles from the stadium so that folks can go there instead of showing support for the team by going to the game.

Walkon79
December 21st, 2010, 02:15 PM
The Bobcat Club hosts at least a dozen golf outings across the state, culminating with the Sonny Holland Classic in Bozeman, usually around opening weekend.