PDA

View Full Version : Why EWU may win the NC

Nebuta
December 20th, 2010, 02:15 AM
Be interested to hear others points of view. I thought of a couple reasons why EWU may pull off the W in January

1) Turnovers. The ball seems to bounce their ways, call it luck, opportunistic, forcing fumbles or what have you. They get the breaks and take advantage of them.

2) EWU's well balanced offense. Bo Levi is pretty dam good QB, he can make all the throws. The running game is solid, and I heard there is an outside chance for Taiwan Jones to play. Kid is pretty amazing.

cowboy91
December 20th, 2010, 02:34 AM
Bo Levi is pretty dam good QB, he can make all the throws.

To which team?

cowboy91
December 20th, 2010, 02:41 AM
Just to correct your sig, by the way.

CAA Champions: UMass 98, Delaware 03, JMU 04, Richmond 08, Villanova 09.

CAA Runners Up: UMass 06, Delaware 07

The CAA or Appalachian State has won every national championship since 2002 (Western Kentucky) and has been involved in the title game in every year but 2005 (Runner up: Northern Iowa)

superman7515
December 20th, 2010, 06:11 AM
Since you're so concerned with correcting his "sig", there was no CAA in 98, 03, 04, or 06.

EdubAlum
December 20th, 2010, 07:59 AM
I would think there is about a 2% chance of TJ playing, but you never know...

Gil Dobie
December 20th, 2010, 08:48 AM
Because they score more points than Delaware

HenZoneNation
December 20th, 2010, 09:15 AM
They seem mentally tough. That team could have easily folded after that muffed punt...I honestly felt like it was a done deal and that the football Gods had smiled down on NOVA again...but EWU hung tough. The WR's make plays, the defense gets after the QB, and they have one of the most gifted players in the FCS on their roster.

Problem:
1) Jones is hurt and though Brown has some nifty moves, he looks to have some fumble issues and he isn't the same level of player as Jones. Jones is special, Brown, at least right now, isn't. He's good but defenses don't have to spend days figuring out how to stop him. The Jones loss is very similiar to us losing Pat. Can it be overcome? Yes. Will it vs. the best D in the FCS? Probably not. I've heard numerous post that EWU has gone against some very good defenses and I'm sure that's true. This is the best defense in the FCS and you're doing it without your best player.
2) Nobody to date has stopped Pat and if you're without your best player on Offense against a great Defense that doesn't give up many points, then you need to shutdown their best Player. It won't happen. Pat is incredible even when he's slightly off.
3) Bo Levi's arm doesn't have that pop to it that he'll need to throw deep against the UD secondary should he need to. Nova has a great D but their secondary wasn't great...we have a great secondary, best we've ever had. I think as long as EWU keeps to those short slants and screens they will be okay, but if he lofts the ball up in the air like he did Friday...bad news for EWU
4) There's no home field here. We were as good on the road as we were at home so playing at a nuetral site won't be as much of a disadvantage as playing at the Inferno and traveling 3,000 miles to do so. EWU has perfect at home...I wouldn't want to have to travel out to the Inferno. That looks like a very tough place to play.

I can't wait for this game...good luck to both teams...GO HENS

Nebuta
December 20th, 2010, 09:59 AM
Since you're so concerned with correcting his "sig", there was no CAA in 98, 03, 04, or 06.
Yeah, Alantic 10 for the win.

TwoFeathers
December 20th, 2010, 10:04 AM
Eastern Washington is #64 in Scoring Defense - Allow 25.36 pts per game
Delaware is #1 in Scoring Defense (#2 including FBS???) - Allow 11.5 pts per game

Delaware wins.

cowboy91
December 20th, 2010, 10:21 AM

I'm aware. The name changed - the teams in it didn't.

TwoFeathers
December 20th, 2010, 10:27 AM
Why doesn't someone just combine these threads (Why Delaware will win, Why EW will win) ... this is annoying

superman7515
December 20th, 2010, 11:09 AM
I'm aware. The name changed - the teams in it didn't.

UConn was still in the 1AA in 98... so the teams did change.

cowboy91
December 20th, 2010, 11:22 AM
And Towson joined, and two teams dropped their programs. He also has the 03 and 04 title teams listed if it matters that much.

HenZoneNation
December 20th, 2010, 11:57 AM
UConn was still in the 1AA in 98... so the teams did change.

What point are you trying to make? Whether you call in the Atlantic 10 or the CAA it's the toughest conference in football...siting that Uconn, this year's Big East conference champs was part of that conference supports that.

Walkon79
December 20th, 2010, 12:08 PM
Eastern CAN win this game because of Overall team speed and toughness.

And Bo Levi needs to play his best game of the year.

cowboy91
December 20th, 2010, 12:16 PM
Yeah, because Delaware lacks both speed and toughness.

HenZoneNation
December 20th, 2010, 12:24 PM
Cowboy91...do I have to remind you of how fast GSU was? How soon you forget?

I never understood why people on this board don't recognize our speed. We are Big, Strong, and Fast. EWU can win this game but they have to be sound. You can't muff punts deep in your own territory or throw wobbling ducks in the air or you will lose.

EWU has to control the ball and keep our Defense on the field and our Offense off the field. SPECIAL TEAMS, especially on kickoffs is where I'm most worried.

Oldhen
December 20th, 2010, 01:05 PM
And Bo Levi needs to play his best game of the year.

I agree with that 100%.

cowboy91
December 20th, 2010, 01:07 PM
Cowboy91...do I have to remind you of how fast GSU was? How soon you forget?

What's your point - or did you not pick up on the sarcasm?

Walkon79
December 20th, 2010, 01:15 PM
Yeah, because Delaware lacks both speed and toughness.

My point is that Eastern was the fastest team on the field Friday night, and the toughest IMO. They're O and D lines outplayed the vaunted Nova fronts, and if that happens on January 7th, team speed will be the difference.

Lots of talk about a low ranking defense, but Sherritt will be the best player on the field.

I think they've got a great shot to win if Mitchell plays well. That's a big if but he's coming into his own down the stretch.

cowboy91
December 20th, 2010, 01:39 PM
My point is that Eastern was the fastest team on the field Friday night, and the toughest IMO. They're O and D lines outplayed the vaunted Nova fronts, and if that happens on January 7th, team speed will be the difference.

Lots of talk about a low ranking defense, but Sherritt will be the best player on the field.

I think they've got a great shot to win if Mitchell plays well. That's a big if but he's coming into his own down the stretch.

And if Pat Devlin "plays well" Delaware doesn't win? With the top defense in the country? One better than Villanova's.

Yeah, but they're not going to be playing a Delaware team that had flown about 9000 miles the past 3 weeks.

Whoever said that Villanova had "vaunted fronts"?

Delaware isn't a weary Villanova team.

Disagree 200% with your assertion that Sherritt will be the best player on the field. We're all entitled to our opinions - even one that's wrong.

HenZoneNation
December 20th, 2010, 01:42 PM
I was actually agreeing with you and making fun of the UD not having speed arguement...clearly it was poorly done...we are plenty fast...speed won't be the reason we lose.

Screamin_Eagle174
December 20th, 2010, 01:46 PM
Eastern Washington is #64 in Scoring Defense - Allow 25.36 pts per game
Delaware is #1 in Scoring Defense (#2 including FBS???) - Allow 11.5 pts per game

Delaware wins.

That's because EWU plays in a conference with the #10 (MSU), #14 (Sac), #17 (UM), and #34 (NAU) ranked scoring offenses, and also played #29 SUU this year. (EWU is #12, by the way). Delaware played against #22 Nova, #46 UMass, #51 Duquesne, #57 W&M, #80 SDSU, #90 URI, #98 Maine, #101 JMU, #109T Richmond, #109T Towson, and D-II West Chester. Draw your own conclusions.

cowboy91
December 20th, 2010, 01:57 PM
This only proves the point that the CAA plays defense and the Big Sky does not. Even against the good defenses of the CAA, Delaware still averaged about 410 ypg.

HenZoneNation
December 20th, 2010, 02:02 PM
Okay...you need to stop right there...
1) We ruined SDSU year...they were #9 when we played them.
2) Richmond and JMU were ranked in the top ten when we played them. UR when they had their QB was a different team. JMU beat a ranked VT at home.
3) William Mary was a great team this year.
4) Villanova lost their best athlete for 7 weeks.
5) Umass was ranked until we played them?

Which one of those teams, from the CAA, isn't taking MSU, NAU, or SAC through the wood chipper?

You can't compare the Big Sky to the CAA....At least not yet. I will give you mad props for beating Nova...but let's not discount they traveled 10,000 miles in three weeks and were not the same team they were even a week before.

Screamin_Eagle174
December 20th, 2010, 02:08 PM
I don't care what they were ranked in the polls, I simply provided rankings of the scoring offenses of teams each has played, which isn't refutable. Delaware hasn't played an offense as potent as ours yet.... the highest they've faced was #22 Nova with a banged up Szczur, and you still lost to them in OT. EWU is ranked #12 in scoring offense.

Screamin_Eagle174
December 20th, 2010, 02:09 PM
This only proves the point that the CAA plays defense and the Big Sky does not. Even against the good defenses of the CAA, Delaware still averaged about 410 ypg.

No, it only proves that the Big Sky has potent offenses and the CAA does not.

See, I can spin it to my favor too.

cowboy91
December 20th, 2010, 02:10 PM
Let's see, at the time of the ballgame, UD has played #9 South Dakota State, #5 Richmond, #3 *James Madison, #4 William & Mary, #14 Massachusetts, #15 *Villanova, #19 Lehigh, #11 New Hampshire, #20 Georgia Southern.

Oldhen
December 20th, 2010, 02:12 PM
Throw out the 'Nova game. I've seen EWU>VU>UD posted. You use that logic, GSU should have beaten us soundly. Different games, different days.

I'm sure EWU will move the ball and score. What little I've seen from the 'Nova game showed they can hit the home run in the passing game, and our secondary will have a real good test. That's the strength of a pretty good D, and it'll be interesting to watch them throw against us.

In my early stages of looking at this, I think the game will come down to whether EWU's defense can get UD's offense off the field. If they can do that, it'll be an awfully good game.

cowboy91
December 20th, 2010, 02:12 PM

This just in, so does Delaware.

EWU through 14 games has averaged 402 ypg. Delaware 400 (in a stronger conference.)

Using that logic Delaware would average about 500 yards in the Big Sky.

Screamin_Eagle174
December 20th, 2010, 02:13 PM
Throw out the 'Nova game. I've seen EWU>VU>UD posted. You use that logic, GSU should have beaten us soundly. Different games, different days.

I'm sure EWU will move the ball and score. What little I've seen from the 'Nova game showed they can hit the home run in the passing game, and our secondary will have a real good test. That's the strength of a pretty good D, and it'll be interesting to watch them throw against us.

In my early stages of looking at this, I think the game will come down to whether EWU's defense can get UD's offense off the field. If they can do that, it'll be an awfully good game.

Agreed 100%

Screamin_Eagle174
December 20th, 2010, 02:15 PM
This just in, so does Delaware.

EWU through 14 games has averaged 402 ypg. Delaware 400 (in a stronger conference.)

Using that logic Delaware would average about 500 yards in the Big Sky.

EWU has played and beat 5 teams that are ranked higher than Delaware in scoring offense.

cowboy91
December 20th, 2010, 02:18 PM
Yeah, and those teams ALSO had horrible defenses. How many teams did you beat with a defense as good as Delaware's? None.

You're not going to win a national title if you're giving up about 380 ypg.

blukeys
December 20th, 2010, 02:42 PM

Here we go with the team speed BS again. I thought we were only going to hear this last week.

You guys need to know that we beat the fastest team in this quadrant of the Galaxy on Saturday. (just ask their fans)

The team we beat could get to Warp 10 without a change of dilithium crystals. Even Scotty was impressed.

So I think we might just be able to handle your big speed advantage.

Oldhen
December 20th, 2010, 02:44 PM
Here we go with the team speed BS again. .

EWU's receiver ran right past the 'Nova DB's numbers of times.

I thought the rest was a wash.

Walkon79
December 20th, 2010, 02:48 PM

Didn't you notice the helmet? I'm not an Eag fan, but from what I saw Friday night they can hang with any CAA team.

Nebuta
December 20th, 2010, 03:03 PM
Just to correct your sig, by the way.

CAA Champions: UMass 98, Delaware 03, JMU 04, Richmond 08, Villanova 09.

CAA Runners Up: UMass 06, Delaware 07

The CAA or Appalachian State has won every national championship since 2002 (Western Kentucky) and has been involved in the title game in every year but 2005 (Runner up: Northern Iowa)

I am aware UMass title run. But as the sig states. Last 8 playoff appearances NOT the last 13. (4 NC in 8 years with a possible 5th in the works) and I surely wont post runners-ups, semifinalists, or quarterfinalists, for it is all about titles. Anyways. Good luck in Frisco.

cowboy91
December 20th, 2010, 03:04 PM
Didn't you notice the helmet? I'm not an Eag fan, but from what I saw Friday night they can hang with any CAA team.

As long as that CAA team has flown 9000 miles beforehand?

UNH72Plus
December 20th, 2010, 03:13 PM

Let's look at it from another slant, scoring defense: N.Arizona #20, Montana #40, Sacramento St, #58, Montana St #70, Weber St. #94, N. Colorado # 96, Idaho State #101, and Portland state #115. Then take out some of those D-II wins like Montana's 73 points against Western St., Montana State's 59 points against Fort Lewis, and N. Colorado's 54 points against Adams State, and that offensive potency starts to fade. CAA teams scored an average of 29.4 points per games against OOC FCS teams. The Big Sky teams averaged 23.6 points per game in their OOC FCS games.

b_f_c_99
December 20th, 2010, 04:45 PM
Total Yards 230 Villanova 405 EW I guess Villanova is in the Big Sky and EW is in the CAA? Looked like EW played defense to me.

cowboy91
December 20th, 2010, 05:24 PM
Against a team that had their top two offensive players hurt, that's flown over 9000 miles the past 3 weeks, and turned it over 6 times. They "played defense" and still gave up 31 points.

I guess in the Big Sky 31 points allowed is playing defense.

Eastern Washington in the CAA would probably be middle of the road.

HenZoneNation
December 20th, 2010, 06:50 PM
Again...and we had the same arguement about the Socon and their rankings...they are inflated some what because they, nor the Big Sky are playing the same level of competition week in and week out as in the CAA. People have slammed Rhode Island as being a soft team in the CAA...that soft team beat UNH and Nova who made the playoffs, and kept UMass out. Yes Nova was banged up but URI is considered on the weaker end of the spectrum, but not a pushover. Because of this, rankings and stats have to be evaluated as such: the tougher the conference, the more the stats suffer.I hate to sound like East Coast bias and I think EWU is a good team, but the Big Sky ain't the CAA...it's not being arrogant...it's just true.

eagle1
December 20th, 2010, 07:07 PM
I am so glad that we get to decide this on the field. The lack of respect is what motivates this EWU team so nothing new here. Go Eagles!!!

HenZoneNation
December 20th, 2010, 07:12 PM
I really doubt that anything said on this board will motivate anyone playing on the field...if it does they're in trouble. It isn't disrespect at all...doesn't change the facts though.

cowboy91
December 20th, 2010, 07:42 PM
I am so glad that we get to decide this on the field. The lack of respect is what motivates this EWU team so nothing new here. Go Eagles!!!

EWU will get respect when they earn it. It's really that simple.

(I would really hope EWU doesn't care what some fan on a message board thinks about them to get motivated to play for a national title)

blukeys
December 20th, 2010, 08:30 PM

Way to backpedal. xeyebrowx

You stated that EWU's team speed would be the difference. We hear that BS all the time. Now you have lowered the bar to EWU can hang. Well that is certainly a new standard.

cowboy91
December 20th, 2010, 08:51 PM
I do like how just because EWU beat Villanova, and Villanova beat Delaware, well clearly they will beat Delaware.

Where have I seen this before? New Hampshire beat Villanova, who beat Delaware, but Delaware beat New Hampshire. Georgia Southern, who beat William and Mary - who beat Delaware, of course, lost to Delaware.

While we're at it. Eastern Washington lost to Montana State, who beat Drake, who lost to Northern Iowa, who lost to Lehigh, who lost to Villanova who lost to New Hampshire who Delaware beat.

Screamin_Eagle174
December 20th, 2010, 09:58 PM
I do like how just because EWU beat Villanova, and Villanova beat Delaware, well clearly they will beat Delaware.

Where have I seen this before? New Hampshire beat Villanova, who beat Delaware, but Delaware beat New Hampshire. Georgia Southern, who beat William and Mary - who beat Delaware, of course, lost to Delaware.

While we're at it. Eastern Washington lost to Montana State, who beat Drake, who lost to Northern Iowa, who lost to Lehigh, who lost to Villanova who lost to New Hampshire who Delaware beat.

It's almost as compelling an argument that because Delaware is in the CAA that they are guaranteed to beat lowly EWU. xcoffeex

Go Cats
December 20th, 2010, 10:01 PM
This is kinda like since delaware is in the CAA and the eagles are in the big sky they don't have a chance. Its a good thing The eagles are just playing delaware and not the CAA.

cowboy91
December 20th, 2010, 10:04 PM
It's almost as compelling an argument that because Delaware is in the CAA that they are guaranteed to beat lowly EWU. xcoffeex

Nothing is guaranteed, but my belief is that Delaware will beat EWU because they're the better team and will be the better team on the 7th - and no amount of statistics or strength of schedule discussion, etc. will change that. Likewise no discussion of how UD is stronger etc. will change your views.

Screamin_Eagle174
December 20th, 2010, 10:07 PM
This is kinda like since delaware is in the CAA and the eagles are in the big sky they don't have a chance. Its a good thing The eagles are just playing delaware and not the CAA.

Beat ya to it Go Cats. xlolx

Go Cats
December 20th, 2010, 10:10 PM
Beat ya to it Go Cats. xlolx

i was so close

HenZoneNation
December 21st, 2010, 07:43 AM

That isn't the point that we're trying to make...one of the other posters tried to present the arguement at EWU has faced tougher defenses than UD and used glorified statistics to support it. The retort to that is, if you are playing weaker teams in a weaker conference your stats will look better than they actually are. Appy St. is a very good team, GREAT program...they had 3 All-americans on their defense and were ranked #1 for most of this year. Would you say after the Villanova game that they should have 3 All Americans on Defense? Would you say that a team that loses by 20 at home is the number one team in the country? They had a down year but the Socon, aside from GA Southern and Woff were also having a down year...so it didn't show up until they faced a tough Nova squad. Same arguemnet goes in the Big Sky...You guys are clearly it this year. MSU got murdered in the playoffs and clearly aren't as good as advertised, Montana is rebuilding and the rest of the league is okay to bad. Those stats that were posted are misleading.

EWU will get a ton of respect, they are a great team...but you can't, at this point compare the Big Sky to the CAA anymore than you could compare the Yankee Conference to the Big Sky when Boise St. and Nevada roamed the 1-AA west.

caribbeanhen
December 21st, 2010, 10:31 AM
why can EWU win? well, what no Delaware fan will tell you is they did something that Delaware has not been able to do for what... 5 years now. Oh sure, at least a dozen reasons why Nova lost that game but nobody around here was predicting EWU to defeat Nova either, but having said that, I beleive Delaware is the better team and will bring another NC back to Newark

cowboy91
December 21st, 2010, 11:10 AM
Beating Villanova doesn't mean they'll beat Delaware, of course.

Had Delaware beaten Villanova during the year (and yes, at 6-5 they wouldn't have made the playoffs) would that automatically mean Delaware would beat EWU? No.

Side Judge
December 21st, 2010, 11:31 AM

I think the key could very well be who wins the matchup between UD's tackles and EWU's DEs/OLBs - 91 in particular looked like a Dwight Freeney-type end with the kind of speed/moves/strength that could be very disruptive to Devlin reading his progressions.

cowboy91
December 21st, 2010, 11:42 AM
I think the key could very well be who wins the matchup between UD's tackles and EWU's DEs/OLBs - 91 in particular looked like a Dwight Freeney-type end with the kind of speed/moves/strength that could be very disruptive to Devlin reading his progressions.

Well he did do pretty decently against a good UNH defensive line. And GSU's "great" defense.

Oh, and the Lehigh defense full of "crazed LBs"

ASUSMC
December 21st, 2010, 11:50 AM
Beam me up...that was funny!!!
App State had speed demons galore also. Guess what? We lost. To a degree, speed can be contained. It's quite a different story when you're talking SEC (i.e., big time FBS) speed. Huge and fast is becomes problematic, but that doesn't exist in the FCS.

We defeated Michigan in '07 but they weren't fast. Huge yes, but lazy, unprepared and slow. Deleware has the edge. Coach is very good and they appear to work as one complete unit. EW really can rise to the occasion though because Bo Levi Mitchell is a good leader. He looks very confident out there.

I don't predict a blowout. Gonna a be a good one!

Here we go with the team speed BS again. I thought we were only going to hear this last week.

You guys need to know that we beat the fastest team in this quadrant of the Galaxy on Saturday. (just ask their fans)

The team we beat could get to Warp 10 without a change of dilithium crystals. Even Scotty was impressed.

cowboy91
December 21st, 2010, 11:52 AM
Luckily for us Devlin > Bo Levi

Delaware has leadership all over the field, not just at the QB position.

Delaware doesn't have just speed. They will hit you - over and over and over and over.

GannonFan
December 21st, 2010, 11:55 AM
Well he did do pretty decently against a good UNH defensive line. And GSU's "great" defense.

Oh, and the Lehigh defense full of "crazed LBs"

Agreed - everyone has said they have what it takes to beat UD's OL when they pass block but no one's been able to do it - either in the regular season or in the playoffs. It's easy to say get pressure on Devlin and make him make mistakes, but it hasn't happened yet and I don't see it happening in this game either.

If EWU is to win this game, they need to score points on UD's defense. Plenty of teams have put up yards on the Hens - UMass, Lehigh, GSU. The thing is, if those yards don't get converted into TD's then it will be a long day for EWU. Lehigh moved up and down the field but only had 13 points by the time the game was decided. I think UD's going to be able to move the ball just fine and I think they'll even be able to run the ball with Pierce (which some teams, nova and W&M in particular, were able to stop) so EWU needs to score on UD. I think EWU's offense is very much like UMass's offense - good blend of run and pass and a QB that, while error prone, can throw the ball. Can EWU put up the 27 that UMass put up against the Hens, and can they do that while not giving up the 45 UD put up in that game?

CrazyCat
December 21st, 2010, 11:57 AM
Eags by 3 in a classic. Why ? because I said so.

cowboy91
December 21st, 2010, 12:02 PM
Agreed - everyone has said they have what it takes to beat UD's OL when they pass block but no one's been able to do it - either in the regular season or in the playoffs. It's easy to say get pressure on Devlin and make him make mistakes, but it hasn't happened yet and I don't see it happening in this game either.

If EWU is to win this game, they need to score points on UD's defense. Plenty of teams have put up yards on the Hens - UMass, Lehigh, GSU. The thing is, if those yards don't get converted into TD's then it will be a long day for EWU. Lehigh moved up and down the field but only had 13 points by the time the game was decided. I think UD's going to be able to move the ball just fine and I think they'll even be able to run the ball with Pierce (which some teams, nova and W&M in particular, were able to stop) so EWU needs to score on UD. I think EWU's offense is very much like UMass's offense - good blend of run and pass and a QB that, while error prone, can throw the ball. Can EWU put up the 27 that UMass put up against the Hens, and can they do that while not giving up the 45 UD put up in that game?

EWU's offense is very much like Delaware's offense. Their defense, not so much. If the good CAA defenses haven't been able to fully stop Delaware I'm not sure I can buy that EWU can do it. Could they? Sure. Will they? I wouldn't bet on it.

Poly's Brutality
December 22nd, 2010, 03:27 AM
EW seems stronger, faster, more athletic. Jones would be a factor of course, what was he, #2 in USA? If you never saw him, you don't know - but if you did, you do. Was there long enough to help EW beat NDSU, which looks to have been their strongest opponent thus far. Lot to like about Delaware, but EW on a "it's destiny" roll, having luck, good feelings about how they can win, will win. Mario Brown had breakout day, obviously pumped up for playoff time, which helps loss of Jones. EW tried to hurt itself with turnovers, but will focus on retaining possession for 3 weeks. Best chance for Delaware is to keep EW off the board early, take the lead, and snuff out any possible EW momentum with big plays, or turnovers. Turnovers less likely in the warmer weather, however.

Poly's Brutality
December 22nd, 2010, 03:45 AM
Yeah, but they're not going to be playing a Delaware team that had flown about 9000 miles the past 3 weeks.

Delaware isn't a weary Villanova team.

"...but let's not discount they traveled 10,000 miles in three weeks and were not the same team they were even a week before."

Mileage issues affecting team play? Really? Try 5 away games in a row, cross-country on 3 of 'em, see how you do then. FIVE. If that's a factor then me 'Stangs should have been number 1 this year for awhile.... Don't forget 4 hour bus rides to the airport first - before the cross-country flights. "Go cry on somebody else's shoulder."xchinscratchx xwhistlex

Oldhen
December 22nd, 2010, 04:21 AM
I think EWU's offense is very much like UMass's offense - good blend of run and pass and a QB that, while error prone, can throw the ball. Can EWU put up the 27 that UMass put up against the Hens, and can they do that while not giving up the 45 UD put up in that game?

After I finally got the chance to look at EWU last nite, UMass was the first team that came to mind... and, actually, on both sides of the ball. Lots of similarities.

UncleSam
December 22nd, 2010, 07:53 AM
That's because EWU plays in a conference with the #10 (MSU), #14 (Sac), #17 (UM), and #34 (NAU) ranked scoring offenses, and also played #29 SUU this year. (EWU is #12, by the way). Delaware played against #22 Nova, #46 UMass, #51 Duquesne, #57 W&M, #80 SDSU, #90 URI, #98 Maine, #101 JMU, #109T Richmond, #109T Towson, and D-II West Chester. Draw your own conclusions.

The four CAA teams in this year's playoffs averaged 36.5 points per game vs non-CAA schools, Delaware averaged 34.5 vs non-CAA schools, but could only manage 16 vs New Hampshire. Draw your own conclusions.

HenZoneNation
December 22nd, 2010, 08:37 AM
EW seems stronger, faster, more athletic.

You sound like GSU fans before last Saturday. I'd love to see how you came to this conclusion.

clawman
December 22nd, 2010, 09:03 AM

And I would have to wonder if his presence would be more of a distraction for the Eagles or Hens? Too bad that his year has to end this way, but such is the nature of the game.
I am confident the D will continue their bend but not break performance and the O line will be able to give some protection to running backs and Beau, so the primary variable is Beau Levi. If he tries to play like Superman he may end up looking like Gilligan. If he plays within his capabilities, Eagles win!!

HenZoneNation
December 22nd, 2010, 09:27 AM
If he tries to play like Superman he may end up looking like Gilligan. If he plays within his capabilities, Eagles win!!

This is a very good point. The kid looks to me to be a winner who will find anyway to win; pure and simple. Some of his throws though hung up in the air and were just ugly, ugly balls. If he sticks with those quick slants and gets into a rhythm EWU will do fine Offensively. If he tried to do to much and make those long throws he did last week our DB's; two of which are All-Americans, will have a field day. Even that lofting thow that was dropped in the endzone...it just hung up there for forever. Unlike what some of the posters on this board have been suggesting...our D is plenty fast.

cowboy91
December 22nd, 2010, 10:17 AM
EW seems stronger, faster, more athletic.

xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx

UNH72Plus
December 22nd, 2010, 10:28 AM
Gotta go with Delaware. I think the deciding factor is going to be the quarterback play. Devlin is a steady, no frills QB who's content to kill you with short passes over the middle until you step up, then he burns you long. In 350 pass attempts this year he completed 68.3% with only 2 ints. Mitchell completed a very respectable 58.3% of his passes but he had 14 ints. Should be a good game though.

mtbigdog
December 22nd, 2010, 11:26 AM
Ewoo needs to win to earn the respect. Plain and simple, be consistent in conference and national play for a few years. Good luck Eastern,your conference mates support YOU ! Late xmas present. Edub 24.The other guys 21 xrotatehx

b_f_c_99
December 22nd, 2010, 11:30 AM
The four CAA teams in this year's playoffs averaged 36.5 points per game vs non-CAA schools, Delaware averaged 34.5 vs non-CAA schools, but could only manage 16 vs New Hampshire. Draw your own conclusions.

Teams in the same conference tend to play each other pretty tough, just the nature of playing each other every year.

Walkon79
December 22nd, 2010, 11:58 AM
Edub 24.The other guys 21 xrotatehx

Are you Scott Gurnsey (sp).:o:o

cowboy91
December 22nd, 2010, 03:31 PM
Dreamcrushers 31 Cinderella 10

JohnStOnge
December 22nd, 2010, 06:19 PM
All I can say is that when I turned on the semifinal and saw that Taiwan Jones was out I thought EWU had absolutely no shot. You never know what's going to happen.

heath
December 22nd, 2010, 08:11 PM
They will win if DU fumbles their chances away,but highly unlikely since they should be throwing the ball.An EWU win is available...................ASU beat Michigan, Valvano and NC State beat Houston. Well coached teams that believe in themselves can win a title.

clawman
December 22nd, 2010, 10:20 PM
Notice the name of the thread? It is why EWU May win the NC, not why they will not.
But they will because of the overall athleticism on both sides of the line, in the backfield, on the bench and even [U]the cheer squad[U].
Go Eagles!!

mtbigdog
December 22nd, 2010, 11:22 PM
Are you Scott Gurnsey (sp).:o:o

xnodx

srgrizizen
December 29th, 2010, 02:58 PM

Yeah, and Delaware's defensive record only proves that they play in the slow, plodding, unimaginative no-offense CAA. Stupid thing to say? Of course. Just like the quote cited. LMAO

cowboy91
December 30th, 2010, 04:49 AM
Yeah, and Delaware's defensive record only proves that they play in the slow, plodding, unimaginative no-offense CAA. Stupid thing to say? Of course. Just like the quote cited. LMAO

Of course if this were true they would have given up more than 11 points per game on average in the playoffs.

UncleSam
December 30th, 2010, 07:56 AM

Somehow those slow, plodding, unimaginative no-offense CAA playoff teams managed to averaged 38 points per game vs 2010 non-CAA playoff competition.

Screamin_Eagle174
December 30th, 2010, 12:44 PM
Per the title of the thread, because EWU is undefeated all-time vs. the CAA. xcoffeex

UncleSam
December 30th, 2010, 01:30 PM
Per the title of the thread, because EWU is undefeated all-time vs. the CAA. xcoffeex

and also winless all-time vs the CAA, however UD is 2-0 all-time vs the Big Sky.

Screamin_Eagle174
December 30th, 2010, 01:50 PM
and also winless all-time vs the CAA, however UD is 2-0 all-time vs the Big Sky.

Uhhh, hello? EWU is 1-0 over the CAA as of two weeks ago.

srgrizizen
December 30th, 2010, 02:46 PM
Somehow those slow, plodding, unimaginative no-offense CAA playoff teams managed to averaged 38 points per game vs 2010 non-CAA playoff competition.

Jeez, don't you get sarcasm? I said this statement is total nonsense, just like Cowboy's statement that they don't play defense in the Big Sky. For what it's worth, I too think Delaware is a clear favorite and will probably win. Cowboy is so proud of his impervious to evidence, pulled out of thin air opinions I actually think if EWU pulls off the upset he would deny that Delaware lost. I would think most of the many knowlegeable, reasonable Hen fans would be embarrassed by his juvenile musings. There is lots of real analysis about which is the stronger team in the various aspects of the game. To argue that Delaware is stronger on both offense and defense than EWU is reasonable, especially if evidence is cited. To blather w/o any evidence whatsoever that "they don't play defense in the Big Sky" is totally specious. Saying "that's my opinion and nothing will change it" makes me think Cowboy must be an afficionado of Fox News, where evidence is similarly disdained.

cowboy91
December 30th, 2010, 11:13 PM
My opinion really means nothing - but I'm pointing to the numbers as evidence. Or are people under the impression that it's "good" to give up over 330 yards?

Poly's Brutality
December 31st, 2010, 01:26 AM
Jeez, don't you get sarcasm? I said this statement is total nonsense, just like Cowboy's statement that they don't play defense in the Big Sky. For what it's worth, I too think Delaware is a clear favorite and will probably win. Cowboy is so proud of his impervious to evidence, pulled out of thin air opinions I actually think if EWU pulls off the upset he would deny that Delaware lost. .... To blather w/o any evidence whatsoever that "they don't play defense in the Big Sky" is totally specious. Saying "that's my opinion and nothing will change it" makes me think Cowboy must be an afficionado of Fox News, where evidence is similarly disdained.

Wow, too funny, you were doing well with the "he only talks specious conclusions" stuff until you got to this statement, showing you guilty of your own complaint: "...must be an afficionado of Fox News, where evidence is similarly disdained." What?! Let's see YOUR evidence on that one.... - or did you just hear that somewhere and accept it.... I think Raider-lovin' Cowboy had some 'facts' on his "no defense" allegations later in the thread, or somewhere else btw (though mostly wrong in the conclusions therefrom).

cowboy91
December 31st, 2010, 03:07 AM
I think this is what I would classify as "no defense", for the most part. This is my evidence upon which I base my opinion.

TOTAL DEFENSE G Rush Pass Plays Yards Avg/P TD Avg/G
1. Montana 11 1648 1540 778 3188 4.1 25 289.8
2. Northern Arizona 11 1029 2344 705 3373 4.8 27 306.6
3. Sacramento State 11 1236 2438 684 3674 5.4 33 334.0
4. Eastern Washington 14 1897 3369 1056 5266 5.0 37 376.1
5. Montana State 12 1858 2760 845 4618 5.5 40 384.8
6. Northern Colorado 11 1923 2460 764 4383 5.7 39 398.5
7. Idaho State 11 1799 2797 832 4596 5.5 41 417.8
8. Weber State 11 1910 2957 786 4867 6.2 38 442.5
9. Portland State 11 2562 2543 706 5105 7.2 57 464.1

SCORING DEFENSE G TD FG XPT 2XP DXP Saf Points Avg/G
1. Northern Arizona 11 28 8 24 1 0 0 218 19.8
2. Montana 11 31 9 24 1 0 2 243 22.1
3. Sacramento State 11 34 12 32 0 0 0 272 24.7
4. Eastern Washington 14 46 11 44 0 0 1 355 25.4
5. Montana State 12 41 7 35 3 0 1 310 25.8
6. Weber State 11 41 18 40 0 0 1 342 31.1
7. Northern Colorado 11 44 13 40 1 0 0 345 31.4
8. Idaho State 11 45 17 43 0 0 1 366 33.3
9. Portland State 11 59 13 48 1 0 1 445 40.5

RUSHING DEFENSE G Att Yards Avg. TD Yards/G
1. Northern Arizona 11 350 1029 2.9 10 93.5
2. Sacramento State 11 342 1236 3.6 10 112.4
3. Eastern Washington 14 553 1897 3.4 21 135.5
4. Montana 11 486 1648 3.4 15 149.8
5. Montana State 12 435 1858 4.3 21 154.8
6. Idaho State 11 453 1799 4.0 17 163.5
7. Weber State 11 419 1910 4.6 16 173.6
8. Northern Colorado 11 437 1923 4.4 18 174.8
9. Portland State 11 414 2562 6.2 30 232.9

PASS DEFENSE G Comp Att Int Pct. Yards Avg. TD Avg/G
1. Montana 11 148 292 12 50.7 1540 5.3 10 140.0
2. Northern Arizona 11 205 355 10 57.7 2344 6.6 17 213.1
3. Sacramento State 11 189 342 10 55.3 2438 7.1 23 221.6
4. Northern Colorado 11 198 327 9 60.6 2460 7.5 21 223.6
5. Montana State 12 232 410 8 56.6 2760 6.7 19 230.0
6. Portland State 11 160 292 8 54.8 2543 8.7 27 231.2
7. Eastern Washington 14 283 503 25 56.3 3369 6.7 16 240.6
8. Idaho State 11 256 379 10 67.5 2797 7.4 24 254.3
9. Weber State 11 213 367 9 58.0 2957 8.1 22 268.8

Tubby Raymond
January 2nd, 2011, 06:06 PM
What are you his orthopod? xliarx

Go Cats
January 2nd, 2011, 11:11 PM
looking at this you will be playing the fourth ranked big sky defense, good luck! don't forget you are playing a team not a stat book!
I think this is what I would classify as "no defense", for the most part. This is my evidence upon which I base my opinion.

TOTAL DEFENSE G Rush Pass Plays Yards Avg/P TD Avg/G
1. Montana 11 1648 1540 778 3188 4.1 25 289.8
2. Northern Arizona 11 1029 2344 705 3373 4.8 27 306.6
3. Sacramento State 11 1236 2438 684 3674 5.4 33 334.0
4. Eastern Washington 14 1897 3369 1056 5266 5.0 37 376.1
5. Montana State 12 1858 2760 845 4618 5.5 40 384.8
6. Northern Colorado 11 1923 2460 764 4383 5.7 39 398.5
7. Idaho State 11 1799 2797 832 4596 5.5 41 417.8
8. Weber State 11 1910 2957 786 4867 6.2 38 442.5
9. Portland State 11 2562 2543 706 5105 7.2 57 464.1

SCORING DEFENSE G TD FG XPT 2XP DXP Saf Points Avg/G
1. Northern Arizona 11 28 8 24 1 0 0 218 19.8
2. Montana 11 31 9 24 1 0 2 243 22.1
3. Sacramento State 11 34 12 32 0 0 0 272 24.7
4. Eastern Washington 14 46 11 44 0 0 1 355 25.4
5. Montana State 12 41 7 35 3 0 1 310 25.8
6. Weber State 11 41 18 40 0 0 1 342 31.1
7. Northern Colorado 11 44 13 40 1 0 0 345 31.4
8. Idaho State 11 45 17 43 0 0 1 366 33.3
9. Portland State 11 59 13 48 1 0 1 445 40.5

RUSHING DEFENSE G Att Yards Avg. TD Yards/G
1. Northern Arizona 11 350 1029 2.9 10 93.5
2. Sacramento State 11 342 1236 3.6 10 112.4
3. Eastern Washington 14 553 1897 3.4 21 135.5
4. Montana 11 486 1648 3.4 15 149.8
5. Montana State 12 435 1858 4.3 21 154.8
6. Idaho State 11 453 1799 4.0 17 163.5
7. Weber State 11 419 1910 4.6 16 173.6
8. Northern Colorado 11 437 1923 4.4 18 174.8
9. Portland State 11 414 2562 6.2 30 232.9

PASS DEFENSE G Comp Att Int Pct. Yards Avg. TD Avg/G
1. Montana 11 148 292 12 50.7 1540 5.3 10 140.0
2. Northern Arizona 11 205 355 10 57.7 2344 6.6 17 213.1
3. Sacramento State 11 189 342 10 55.3 2438 7.1 23 221.6
4. Northern Colorado 11 198 327 9 60.6 2460 7.5 21 223.6
5. Montana State 12 232 410 8 56.6 2760 6.7 19 230.0
6. Portland State 11 160 292 8 54.8 2543 8.7 27 231.2
7. Eastern Washington 14 283 503 25 56.3 3369 6.7 16 240.6
8. Idaho State 11 256 379 10 67.5 2797 7.4 24 254.3
9. Weber State 11 213 367 9 58.0 2957 8.1 22 268.8

cowboy91
January 3rd, 2011, 02:38 AM
Should people really be bragging about being the 4th best of a conference with no defense? That's like being a tall midget.

In the CAA Eastern Washington would be dead last - maybe even ranked lower than Hofstra and Northeastern.

TOTAL DEFENSE G Rush Pass Plys Yards Avg TD Yds/G
---------------------------------------------------------------
1. Delaware............ 14 1554 2330 871 3884 4.5 17 277.4
2. James Madison....... 11 1391 1765 698 3156 4.5 14 286.9
3. New Hampshire....... 13 1731 2333 880 4064 4.6 26 312.6
4. William and Mary.... 12 1764 2098 797 3862 4.8 24 321.8
5. Villanova........... 14 1394 3145 915 4539 5.0 28 324.2
6. Maine............... 11 1398 2498 756 3896 5.2 29 354.2
7. Massachusetts....... 11 1883 2027 696 3910 5.6 35 355.5
8. Towson.............. 11 1990 1938 741 3928 5.3 43 357.1
9. Richmond............ 11 1843 2168 753 4011 5.3 30 364.6
10.Rhode Island........ 11 1390 2626 760 4016 5.3 34 365.1

Tod
January 3rd, 2011, 07:11 AM
Should people really be bragging about being the 4th best of a conference with no defense? That's like being a tall midget.

In the CAA Eastern Washington would be dead last - maybe even ranked lower than Hofstra and Northeastern.

TOTAL DEFENSE G Rush Pass Plys Yards Avg TD Yds/G
---------------------------------------------------------------
1. Delaware............ 14 1554 2330 871 3884 4.5 17 277.4
2. James Madison....... 11 1391 1765 698 3156 4.5 14 286.9
3. New Hampshire....... 13 1731 2333 880 4064 4.6 26 312.6
4. William and Mary.... 12 1764 2098 797 3862 4.8 24 321.8
5. Villanova........... 14 1394 3145 915 4539 5.0 28 324.2
6. Maine............... 11 1398 2498 756 3896 5.2 29 354.2
7. Massachusetts....... 11 1883 2027 696 3910 5.6 35 355.5
8. Towson.............. 11 1990 1938 741 3928 5.3 43 357.1
9. Richmond............ 11 1843 2168 753 4011 5.3 30 364.6
10.Rhode Island........ 11 1390 2626 760 4016 5.3 34 365.1

But in total offense EWU would be second in the CAA, but is only 3rd in the Big Sky. Our 8th place team would be 4th in the CAA. Idaho State? Distant, distant 9th and last place.

It's hard to really compare the two conferences. Yeah, Big Sky teams give up more yardage, but they gain more yardage, too. Just a different style of football.

bulldog
January 3rd, 2011, 09:34 AM
It's hard to really compare the two conferences. Yeah, Big Sky teams give up more yardage, but they gain more yardage, too.

That's because they play each other, weak defenses.

boonegoon
January 3rd, 2011, 09:40 AM
That's because they play each other, weak defenses.

Perhaps, but EWU rolled up 405 yards on Nova.

Walkon79
January 3rd, 2011, 09:47 AM
This!

cowboy91
January 3rd, 2011, 11:14 AM
Allowing 79 points in 3 playoff games isn't exactly something I'd pull a muscle patting myself on the back over.

Feel free to notice that Villanova's total defense is 5th in the CAA, Delaware's is 1st and 5th NATIONALLY.

cowboy91
January 3rd, 2011, 11:16 AM
Yeah, Big Sky teams give up more yardage, but they gain more yardage, too. Just a different style of football.

If you "give up more yardage" then by default you'd be "gaining" it too. Don't really get your point - it would, if anything, indicate a lack of defense, as opposed to a abundance of offense (by the Delaware, pretty close to EWU's average offense)

Tod
January 3rd, 2011, 02:35 PM
If you "give up more yardage" then by default you'd be "gaining" it too. Don't really get your point - it would, if anything, indicate a lack of defense, as opposed to a abundance of offense (by the Delaware, pretty close to EWU's average offense)

You have absolutely nothing to hang your hat on with that statement. It's your ASSumption.

I suppose then, by your reasoning, if the CAA averaged 50 yards on O and 50 yards on D, scored 3 ppg and gave up 3ppg, that would make the CAA super awesome!!!
xlolxxlolxxlolxxlolx

cowboy91
January 3rd, 2011, 02:41 PM
No defense is no defense, whether or not that's because of "great offense" is irrelevant.

Tod
January 3rd, 2011, 03:07 PM
No defense is no defense, whether or not that's because of "great offense" is irrelevant.

Why? Because you say so?

You think the Big Sky has "no" defense?

Please explain something to me (I'm no football guru); throwing out OOC games, then all CAA/Big Sky conference games would have to have the same amount of yards gained as given up, points scored as given up, correct? So, if these are the averages for each conference:

BSC - 400 yards gained/given up, 32 pts scored/given up
CAA - 300 yards gained/given up, 24 pts scored/given up

How does that show CAA superiority? Just as easily as you say there is no D in the BSC, I can say there's no O in the CAA. See what I mean?

I suppose you're just going to pull out the tired, old "Defense wins championships" line, huh?

cowboy91
January 3rd, 2011, 03:29 PM
It only shows that one conference plays defense while the other doesn't. Not sure why Big Sky fans are trying so hard to convince everyone that they play defense - the numbers suggest otherwise.

Go ahead and say there's no O in the CAA, as you're more than entitled to your opinion - it doesn't bother me. Especially considering my team averaged 400 ypg offensively. Which is right on par with a Big Sky offense.

Tod
January 3rd, 2011, 03:45 PM
It only shows that one conference plays defense while the other doesn't. Not sure why Big Sky fans are trying so hard to convince everyone that they play defense - the numbers suggest otherwise.

Go ahead and say there's no O in the CAA, as you're more than entitled to your opinion - it doesn't bother me. Especially considering my team averaged 400 ypg offensively. Which is right on par with a Big Sky offense.

I'm not saying that, it was just an example. I wanted to see if you could understand my point and explain yours. The answers are maybe and no, btw. Have a nice day.

cowboy91
January 3rd, 2011, 03:51 PM
I understand your points - I just don't care what they are.

Happy New Year.

Tod
January 3rd, 2011, 03:55 PM
I understand your points - I just don't care what they are.

Happy New Year.

Now, if you could just explain your point, I'd be happy to listen/respond/see the light.

Happy MLK Day (a bit early)!

cowboy91
January 3rd, 2011, 04:19 PM
My opinion: The Big Sky as a whole has weak defenses. My evidence: The statistics suggesting that except for the top 3 teams there isn't much defense played.

Opinion and support for that opinion. The fact of the matter is that if you do think that Delaware's defensive numbers are because there's "no offense in the CAA" then okay, except that Delaware is the exception, not the rule.

EWU and UD post basically the same offensive stats - so they seem to be a wash. Then you have to look at the defenses.

Tod
January 3rd, 2011, 04:48 PM
My opinion: The Big Sky as a whole has weak defenses. My evidence: The statistics suggesting that except for the top 3 teams there isn't much defense played.

Opinion and support for that opinion. The fact of the matter is that if you do think that Delaware's defensive numbers are because there's "no offense in the CAA" then okay, except that Delaware is the exception, not the rule.

EWU and UD post basically the same offensive stats - so they seem to be a wash. Then you have to look at the defenses.

OK, that's something to consider, no doubt. Personally, though, I don't think it's quite that easy. I mean, EWU put up 432 yards (and gave up 553) against Boise killing Nevada. Easy to say no D in that one, but if they can hang 432 on Nevada, that can probably do it against Delaware. But can Delaware move the ball on Eastern like Nevada did?

I think you're choosing the top three out of convenience because EWU is #4, but that's just a guess.

We shall see.

We all understand UD is favored, and should be, but don't discount EWU quite so quickly. You never know what could happen.

cowboy91
January 3rd, 2011, 04:56 PM
At the end of the day they can put 500 yards on Delaware - as long as they don't score more points I'm okay with that.

Tod
January 3rd, 2011, 05:13 PM
Exactly! Well, from your perspective, reverse it for mine.

Side Judge
January 3rd, 2011, 08:04 PM
Friday can't get here soon enough...

b_f_c_99
January 3rd, 2011, 08:59 PM
What I find the most interesting is that Delaware is pretty much running the offense that Montana terrorized the big sky with right up to the part where Bobby Hauk was hired. And it seems to work pretty darn well back in CAA land where pretty much all the teams run the same option spread except Delaware. What does this mean? Not much, but its not like teams from the big sky haven't seen this stuff before. And wow Delaware seems to have the top offense in the CAA, maybe those "soft defenses" in the big sky are soft because most of the conference still runs this style of offense and holy smokes its designed to gain yards and score points, not grind out the clock. Not saying eastern will stop it, if you have the right QB and he knows how to run it, any team has their hands full.

cowboy91
January 3rd, 2011, 09:15 PM
Luckily for Delaware they have a (probably/more than likely) draft pick at the position.

I don't think EWU will do anything defensively that we haven't seen before - and I'm not sure how many [potential] NFL draft picks at the quarterback position they have gone up against.

blukeys
January 3rd, 2011, 09:19 PM
What I find the most interesting is that Delaware is pretty much running the offense that Montana terrorized the big sky with right up to the part where Bobby Hauk was hired. And it seems to work pretty darn well back in CAA land where pretty much all the teams run the same option spread except Delaware. What does this mean? Not much, but its not like teams from the big sky haven't seen this stuff before. And wow Delaware seems to have the top offense in the CAA, maybe those "soft defenses" in the big sky are soft because most of the conference still runs this style of offense and holy smokes its designed to gain yards and score points, not grind out the clock. Not saying eastern will stop it, if you have the right QB and he knows how to run it, any team has their hands full.

I am not sure what you are basing this assessment on. Delaware can run the option out of this offense and in 2003 did so with considerable success. They did less of this when Flacco was here and Devlin as well.

The option plays are there and can be run. However when you have QB's with the skills of a Flacco or Devlin, running them on plays where they can take big hits doesn't really make a lot of sense.

The difference for instance between Nova and UD is that Devlin can pick someone apart in the passing game and Whitney's strengh is running the ball. This however does not mean that Devlin can't run and Whitney can't pass.

Keep in mind Devlin broke his wrist in the second game of the season. He was also knocked out of the JMU game on a cheap shot. A lot of options were off the table earlier in the season to keep Devlin healthy. This will not be the case on Friday.

I would not compare Delaware to the pass happy offense of Montana during the late 90's and early in this decade. Delaware likes to run.

If they get a lead you will see a steady diet of running plays. Delaware ran the ball on virtually every play in the 4th quarter against Georgia Southern and this formula was used throughout the season.

cowboy91
January 3rd, 2011, 09:26 PM
Don't underestimate the fact that Sasek could come in and run the ball, which we really haven't seen in weeks.

Screamin_Eagle174
January 3rd, 2011, 11:34 PM
Luckily for Delaware they have a (probably/more than likely) draft pick at the position.

I don't think EWU will do anything defensively that we haven't seen before - and I'm not sure how many [potential] NFL draft picks at the quarterback position they have gone up against.

The BYU transfer Brad Sorensen (6-5, 225lbs) I would say will be a legit NFL draft pick in a couple years. He finished the season ranked 6th in passing efficiency, and he tore us apart through the air. Then again, we picked him off twice (both by Jesse Hoffmann, late in the game on crucial possessions for SUU), which led to another EWU win. We also faced 3 other QBs ranked in the top 12 in passing efficiency; Denarius McGhee (MSU) - 5th, Jeff Fleming (Sac St. - but a transfer from NMSU) - 9th, and Chris Whitney (Nova) - 12th. But yeah, Devlin is a god among mere mortals, I'm sure he'll pass for like 600 yds and 8 TDs on us. xcoffeex

cowboy91
January 3rd, 2011, 11:49 PM
So the answer is actually "none".

Screamin_Eagle174
January 4th, 2011, 12:31 AM
So the answer is "one."

cowboy91
January 4th, 2011, 08:50 AM
I don't see any of those QB's on the AP All American list, of course.

bjtheflamesfan
January 4th, 2011, 12:09 PM
Friday can't get here soon enough...

I concur...

Screamin_Eagle174
January 4th, 2011, 01:32 PM
I don't see any of those QB's on the AP All American list, of course.

WTF does that matter? Being selected to the AP AA list isn't a prerequisite to being a "potential NFL draft pick at the QB position." Just compare their stats from this year (and keep in mind that Sorensen was only a sophomore this year - his first year as a starter).

SORENSEN: 11 GMS, 261/390, 66.9%, 3163 YDS, 21 TDS - 6 INTS, 287.5 AVG
DEVLIN: 13 GMS, 239/350, 68.3%, 2812 YDS, 22 TDS - 2 INTS, 216.3 AVG

I'd say they're pretty comparable.

cowboy91
January 4th, 2011, 02:05 PM
What does it matter? You haven't faced a QB all season with the skills of Devlin.

Of course Devlin doesn't have the luxury of playing against Big Sky defenses, and obviously you don't need to throw in blowout wins. Big Sky stats offense stats are certainly skewed.

Thankfully in a few days EWU should go back to just being "that team with ugly red turf".

Note: It's funny how when it came to Jones, then making it as an All-American "counted".

Screamin_Eagle174
January 4th, 2011, 05:43 PM
What does it matter? You haven't faced a QB all season with the skills of Devlin.

Of course Devlin doesn't have the luxury of playing against Big Sky defenses, and obviously you don't need to throw in blowout wins. Big Sky stats offense stats are certainly skewed.

Thankfully in a few days EWU should go back to just being "that team with ugly red turf".

Note: It's funny how when it came to Jones, then making it as an All-American "counted".

Are you seriously that dense? What it matters is that we HAVE faced a "[potential] future NFL draft pick," and based upon the stats I provided, one who has the same skills as Devlin. And we picked him off twice when it mattered.

cowboy91
January 4th, 2011, 06:10 PM
He has the "same skills" based on....? Your opinion? NFL draft prospectus? Is there one? Great, you played against a good sophomore...that's not playing against a guy that's getting taken in 2011. Should I specify even more for you? How many QB's has EWU played that will be drafted in April?

With the way you're hyping up EWU you would think they were the co-champion of the toughest league in FCS football, with a top 5 defense, the number 1 scoring defense, and a pro QB leading the way.

Similar stats means people are just as good. Uh, wow. Good analysis.

Blazerbird
January 4th, 2011, 06:59 PM
Let him go SE.

cowboy91
January 4th, 2011, 07:06 PM
Not sure I'd be thumping my chest about playing against the kid for Southern Utah when he threw for over 400 yards on my "defense".

Screamin_Eagle174
January 4th, 2011, 07:30 PM
He has the "same skills" based on....? Your opinion? NFL draft prospectus? Is there one? Great, you played against a good sophomore...that's not playing against a guy that's getting taken in 2011. Should I specify even more for you? How many QB's has EWU played that will be drafted in April?

With the way you're hyping up EWU you would think they were the co-champion of the toughest league in FCS football, with a top 5 defense, the number 1 scoring defense, and a pro QB leading the way.

Similar stats means people are just as good. Uh, wow. Good analysis.

Based on his stats... everyone claims Devlin is so good and use his numbers as evidence. Sorensen is just about as good as Devlin, and is only a sophomore and only started one year, which means he's only going to get better, and will likely be better than Devlin. I'm sorry you're so obsessed with Patrick and want to have his children, but facts are facts. You asked if EWU had played against a "[potential] future NFL QB, and the answer is "yes, we have." I'm not bragging about how many yards he put up against us, despite that being a testament to how good he is. He put up those kind of numbers on most everyone he played this year. It's funny how Devlin's numbers means he's this great, all-world QB, but virtually the same numbers for another QB means he doesn't measure up. The point is, yes we have played against an equally talented QB, and we picked him off twice, and beat his team. And we will beat your pathetic little blue henriettas on Friday. Some day you'll come to terms with it. Someday.

Screamin_Eagle174
January 4th, 2011, 07:31 PM
Not sure I'd be thumping my chest about playing against the kid for Southern Utah when he threw for over 400 yards on my "defense".

Not sure I'd be thumping my chest about having the "best" defense when you play in a conference that has no offense.

cowboy91
January 4th, 2011, 08:07 PM
Not sure I'd be thumping my chest about having the "best" defense when you play in a conference that has no offense.

haha @ "conference that has no offense", yet they have played for how many title games in the last 7 or 8 years? Weird how that's happened.

Delaware actually has an offense, try again grasping for straws.

The thing is, I really don't care what EWU fans think of Delaware, but it's apparent there's an inferiority complex with some of the fans out west.

Screamin_Eagle174
January 4th, 2011, 08:12 PM
The thing is, I really care what EWU fans think of Delaware; it's apparent there's an inferiority complex with some of the fans out east.

And that's all you had to say. It'll be okay cowboy, it'll be okay. xthumbsupx

bluehenbillk
January 4th, 2011, 08:15 PM
Guys in all seriousness, you'll see the hard way on Friday night that Devlin is a special QB. Better for the Hens is that its hard to slow UD's offense down. AP has had a monster FR year, just ask GSU among others. Add in the best D in the country - the Hens do it as a team, but have a number of individuals capable of carrying them this year. They're a healthy and a deep team.

cowboy91
January 4th, 2011, 08:21 PM
And that's all you had to say. It'll be okay cowboy, it'll be okay. xthumbsupx

How witty! The way you changed it from west to east. How creative!

I do find it interesting that Sorensen and Devlin have similar stats, even though one plays in a conference with no defense and the other plays in the toughest conference in America.

Advantage: Delaware.

And regarding the notion that EWU has faced potential NFL picks, Sorensen is the 35th in 2013, Devlin is 3rd in 2011.

Advantage: Delaware

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/prospectrankings/TSX/2013_QB

Tod
January 4th, 2011, 09:33 PM
How witty! The way you changed it from west to east. How creative!

I do find it interesting that Sorensen and Devlin have similar stats, even though one plays in a conference with no defense and the other plays in the toughest conference in America.

Advantage: Delaware.

And regarding the notion that EWU has faced potential NFL picks, Sorensen is the 35th in 2013, Devlin is 3rd in 2011.

Advantage: Delaware

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/prospectrankings/TSX/2013_QB

How has having highly ranked QBs worked out for you so far in NC games?

cowboy91
January 4th, 2011, 10:34 PM
How has having highly ranked QBs worked out for you so far in NC games?

Ask me on Friday night.

Tod
January 4th, 2011, 11:00 PM
Ask me on Friday night.

I'm asking you now.

And what's up with the pirate hsit and "cowboy" stuff? If you're a UD fan, why in God's name would you try to hide it so hard? Ready to sink back into oblivion so soon?

cowboy91
January 4th, 2011, 11:30 PM
Thanks, 2001 national champions.

Screamin_Eagle174
January 7th, 2011, 10:54 PM
Ask me on Friday night.

How has having highly ranked QBs worked out for you so far in NC games? :D

Screamin_Eagle174
January 7th, 2011, 11:30 PM
Ask me on Friday night.

Devlin, who had thrown for 15 touchdowns in his previous five games, didn't throw any while completing 22-of-34 passes for 220 yards and one interception.

Tod
January 7th, 2011, 11:49 PM
Thanks, 2001 national champions.

Also, 1995! Oh, and, you're welcome!

Congratulations Eastern Washington University! National Champions, 2010!!!!!

dudeitsaid
January 7th, 2011, 11:58 PM
How has having highly ranked QBs worked out for you so far in NC games? :D

xlolx

Truthfully, he looked every bit like the QB he's been described to be in the first half. His check downs, composure, and accuracy were outstanding. But he didn't seem to be able to adjust to EWU in the second half. 0 points scored in a critical game. It didn't hurt Flacco, hopefully it won't hurt him. But Bo Levi Mitchell was overall the better QB tonight. Especially considering the Eagle recievers had about 5 drops on perfectly thrown passes.

Screamin_Eagle174
January 8th, 2011, 12:28 AM
xlolx

Truthfully, he looked every bit like the QB he's been described to be in the first half. His check downs, composure, and accuracy were outstanding. But he didn't seem to be able to adjust to EWU in the second half. 0 points scored in a critical game. It didn't hurt Flacco, hopefully it won't hurt him. But Bo Levi Mitchell was overall the better QB tonight. Especially considering the Eagle recievers had about 5 drops on perfectly thrown passes.

Devlin looked unstoppable in the first half, and was really pissing me off. Both interceptions (one negated by an EWU offsides) were tipped by the receiver into the arms of an EWU dback. Our receivers dropping well-thrown balls were also pissing me off. Just so happy to pull out the win, especially in the fashion we did. This team never quits. EAGLES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

dudeitsaid
January 8th, 2011, 12:34 AM
This team never quits.

Never!