PDA

View Full Version : Why Delaware will win the NC

Pages : [1] 2

Tubby Raymond
December 19th, 2010, 04:53 PM
CAA folks are regularly accused of being arrogant with the UD fans being the worst of the bunch. Here are the Mr. Spock reasons, non-emotional/sheer logic, UD will be victorious.

1. Mistake free offensive football. Devlin rarely throws an interception. When in the lead, UD reverts to a run game that is not specatcular but plenty talented to keep the other teams offense off the field. Refer to both semi-finals losses for evidence of this assertion.

2. Defensive lock down. In the past 8 quarters of football there has been 1 touchdown scored vs UD against two pretty good football teams. We give up more on the ground than in the air. Pass defense has been outstanding, another reason that if UD gets up early, they will be very hard to beat in a comeback.

3. UD is very healthy & well-rested. The most recent injuries to two of our wide-recievers (Mackey & Crosby) may keep them both from playing in the NC game but the stable of WR's is deep enough to compensate. Throwing to the RB's out of the backfield or in the slot is another compensation for the losses. I'm not aware of anyone else on the two-deep chart that could miss the game.

The more emotional/subjective issues of disparaging the Big Sky, strength of schedule, common opponents etc will largely be irrelevant.

Lots of other henfans are football smarter than I, but I see these three as the primary factors in the NC.

blukeys
December 19th, 2010, 05:03 PM
You might want to edit your title.

blukeys
December 19th, 2010, 05:04 PM
Suggestion:

Why Delaware will win the NC

Cut and Paste.

Tubby Raymond
December 19th, 2010, 05:06 PM
Suggestion:

Why Delaware will win the NC

Cut and Paste.

THX, I f-ed that up twice, yikes

Screamin_Eagle174
December 19th, 2010, 05:13 PM
You write up 3 paragraphs as to why UD will win the NC, yet don't analyze let alone mention your opponent a single time. It's like you're not even playing anyone! Sound logic indeed! http://www.championshipsubdivision.com/forums/images/smilies/rofl.gif

caribbeanhen
December 19th, 2010, 05:32 PM
because Devlin is our QB, makes everyone better
because our D is very good
because we dont beat ourselves

blukeys
December 19th, 2010, 05:37 PM
You write up 3 paragraphs as to why UD will win the NC, yet don't analyze let alone mention your opponent a single time. It's like you're not even playing anyone! Sound logic indeed! http://www.championshipsubdivision.com/forums/images/smilies/rofl.gif

Why not tell us something about your team instead of whining. Personally I would love to learn more.

yorkcountyUNHfan
December 19th, 2010, 05:37 PM
because Devlin is our QB, makes everyone better
because our D is very good
because we dont beat ourselves

which is why you will will

cowboy91
December 19th, 2010, 05:41 PM

Because the opponent doesn't matter to us.

Actually I think it's because nobody knows or cares what EWU can do.

Blue Hen 53
December 19th, 2010, 05:42 PM
Best defense in FCS...best QB in FCS...Hens by 10! Take it to the bank.

Tubby Raymond
December 19th, 2010, 05:53 PM
I am neither trying to talk smack nor be sarcastic when I tell you, it just won't/wouldn't matter. Does that sound condescending or just arrogantxconfusedx

Damn, I was trying to avoid that so early in the threadxlolx

Screamin_Eagle174
December 19th, 2010, 06:02 PM
EWU > Villanova > UD.

Take it to the bank. xcoffeex

cowboy91
December 19th, 2010, 06:24 PM
GSU also thought that because they beat W&M they'd beat UD. In the words of TheFan: How'd that work out?

Your QB is Bo Levi Mitchell. That in itself means advantage Delaware.

Screamin_Eagle174
December 19th, 2010, 06:36 PM
GSU also thought that because they beat W&M they'd beat UD. In the words of TheFan: How'd that work out?

Your QB is Bo Levi Mitchell. That in itself means advantage Delaware.

Who was 27/38 (71%), 292 yards, and 4 TDs against Nova's vaunted D. Everyone also thought that because VU crushed App State and EWU was without TJ, we didn't stand a chance. How'd that work out?

dudeitsaid
December 19th, 2010, 06:42 PM
On paper, game film, SOS, Conference reputation, blah, blah, blah, you're right, Delaware is the better team. As could be said about many, if not most of the teams EWU played this year. Except in a few categories, they are statistically unimpressive, their QB is mistake prone, they will probably be without Taiwan Jones who would singlehandedly score more than 10 points on your D when healthy, and they have barely scraped and clawed their way multiple unlikely victories this season. No, I can't give you the sports analyst's report on why EWU will win the NC.

Whatever you want to say about the Eagles, they find a way to win. Most said they would not only lose, but lose big to Nova. Make all the excuses you want about Villanova to downplay EWU's victory. Doesn't matter to me, because ultimately, the game will be decided on the field, where it always is.

I'm perfectly fine with EWU being the underdog, as I know they are. I just hope Delaware looks themselves the same way you do. Pride comes before a fall.

Can't wait to see them surprise the nation in Frisco!

BlueHenSinfonian
December 19th, 2010, 06:44 PM
Who was 27/38 (71%), 292 yards, and 4 TDs against Nova's vaunted D. Everyone also thought that because VU crushed App State and EWU was without TJ, we didn't stand a chance. How'd that work out?

I'll be the first to admit that EWU surprised the hell out of me Friday night. I expected 'Nova to run away with the game 48 - 3 or something similar. EWU was impressive in their ability to capitalize on Villanova's many, many, mistakes. The game in Frisco will be very different - TJ could easily be healthy by then, but don't expect UD to give away the ball like 'Nova did either. I don't think it will be a blowout after actually getting to see EWU play, but I think UD is the easy favorite going into the game.

Saint3333
December 19th, 2010, 06:53 PM
EWU > Villanova > UD.

Take it to the bank. xcoffeex

EWU didn't play the same Nova team that beat UD. #4 and Whitney were injured.

Just like the semifinals the team that turns the ball over least wins.

superman7515
December 19th, 2010, 06:56 PM
Breaking News on ESPN. This years NC game will not be played on paper or message boards... xnodx

100%GRIZ
December 19th, 2010, 07:05 PM
Breaking News on ESPN. This years NC game will not be played on paper or message boards... xnodx Nor will a computer decide who gets to the National Championship game!

superman7515
December 19th, 2010, 07:06 PM
Nor will a computer decide who gets to the National Championship game!

And Amen for that.

Tubby Raymond
December 19th, 2010, 07:09 PM
On paper, game film, SOS, Conference reputation, blah, blah, blah, you're right, Delaware is the better team. As could be said about many, if not most of the teams EWU played this year. Except in a few categories, they are statistically unimpressive, their QB is mistake prone, they will probably be without Taiwan Jones who would singlehandedly score more than 10 points on your D when healthy, and they have barely scraped and clawed their way multiple unlikely victories this season. No, I can't give you the sports analyst's report on why EWU will win the NC.

Whatever you want to say about the Eagles, they find a way to win. Most said they would not only lose, but lose big to Nova. Make all the excuses you want about Villanova to downplay EWU's victory. Doesn't matter to me, because ultimately, the game will be decided on the field, where it always is.

I'm perfectly fine with EWU being the underdog, as I know they are. I just hope Delaware looks themselves the same way you do. Pride comes before a fall.

Can't wait to see them surprise the nation in Frisco!

TJ definately going to be out?

Give us a review of EWU on the defensive side of the ball. From the conferance stats looks like they are stronger against the rush than the pass, is it so?

cowboy91
December 19th, 2010, 07:11 PM

Villanova doesn't have a secondary nearly as talented as Delaware's. Nobody does.

Taiwan Jones would be a non-factor even if healthy. But I'm sure he would score more on Delaware than entire teams have on average all year.

Prides comes before a fall. Cute little sayings aren't going to help much.

DJOM
December 19th, 2010, 07:16 PM
4) Winged Helmet. Case closed.

cowboy91
December 19th, 2010, 07:18 PM
5) Not playing at a stadium with a field covered by Tabasco.

Eaglesrus
December 19th, 2010, 07:31 PM

You might as well get used to that, you're going to be reading it for three weeks.

UNH Fanboi
December 19th, 2010, 07:31 PM
Wish it
Want it
Do it

Screamin_Eagle174
December 19th, 2010, 07:32 PM
For someone who has no staked interest in this game, you sure seem to be anti-EWU there, Cowboy. Still bitter about the beatdown' we gave you in 2007? :D

Screamin_Eagle174
December 19th, 2010, 07:33 PM
Taiwan Jones would be a non-factor even if healthy.

http://www.championshipsubdivision.com/forums/images/smilies/rofl.gifhttp://www.championshipsubdivision.com/forums/images/smilies/rofl.gifhttp://www.championshipsubdivision.com/forums/images/smilies/rofl.gif

Thanks, that removes all doubt. You're an idiot, and know nothing about EWU.

cowboy91
December 19th, 2010, 07:40 PM
For someone who has no staked interest in this game, you sure seem to be anti-EWU there, Cowboy. Still bitter about the @sswhoopin' we gave you in 2007? :D

I guess I missed the EWU-Delaware game in 2007.

TrueBlueHen
December 19th, 2010, 08:14 PM
You might as well get used to that, you're going to be reading it for three weeks.

How did all the GSU smack talk work out for you guys again???? ;)

cowboy91
December 19th, 2010, 08:30 PM
GSU was so fast I almost didn't see them show up on Saturday.

dudeitsaid
December 19th, 2010, 08:43 PM
TJ definately going to be out?

Give us a review of EWU on the defensive side of the ball. From the conferance stats looks like they are stronger against the rush than the pass, is it so?

They say there is a slight chance he will be back. If it's slight, seems like it's more likely he won't play. Even if he does, it will be with very little practice, full speed running, etc. for a month. It took him a little bit to get back into the groove after his injury against Montana State.

Defensively, they are better against the run then the pass. But they aren't highly rated in either defensive category. I will say, however, that it seems (simply from recollection, so no hard stats here) that many of their takeaways have been after teams have accumulated a good chunk of yards. They make a waste of their opponents offensive work.

Side Judge
December 19th, 2010, 08:58 PM
EWU had no business beating NDSU (after all the turnovers) or Nova.

And yet they did - coming from behind in both games, and overcoming breathtakingly stupid mistakes to boot (such as the muffed punt against Nova late - LET IT GO!)...

They seem to make up for any skill deficit with flat-out hard hitting old-school football, plus in Joe Don Baker or whatever his name is they've got the kind of QB who gives UD fits, like Chris Lum from Lehigh.

That said, if UD plays mistake-free ball it's hard to see them losing. If I'm EWU I'm taking a mighty close look at the JMU game tape for clues on how to stop Devlin...

cowboy91
December 19th, 2010, 09:07 PM

And yet they did - coming from behind in both games, and overcoming breathtakingly stupid mistakes to boot (such as the muffed punt against Nova late - LET IT GO!)...

They seem to make up for any skill deficit with flat-out hard hitting old-school football, plus in Joe Don Baker or whatever his name is they've got the kind of QB who gives UD fits, like Chris Lum from Lehigh.

That said, if UD plays mistake-free ball it's hard to see them losing. If I'm EWU I'm taking a mighty close look at the JMU game tape for clues on how to stop Devlin...

Sling him to the turf after he hands off and hopes he gets a concussion?

Chris Lum gave Delaware fits, really? Or are you only looking at the passing stats from when the game was out of reach?

BlueHenSinfonian
December 19th, 2010, 09:14 PM

Yeah, it doesn't take too much skill to plan for 'hit the QB late from the blind side and make sure he goes down hard enough to knock him out'

Eaglesrus
December 19th, 2010, 09:47 PM
How did all the GSU smack talk work out for you guys again???? ;)

Didn't participate myself. This isn't the smack forum anyway. Of course, I've noticed that you guys don't ever seem to let that get in your way.

ATX_EWUGrad
December 19th, 2010, 09:53 PM
For whatever reason EWU has a knack for being around the ball. They've been on the receiving end of 46 turnovers this season which leads all of FCS. That doesn't happen by accident. EWU forced their fair share of them. They weren't gifts dropped from heaven. Defensively, they play a bend but don't break defensive. They tend to give up a lot of yards between the 20's which skew the stats a little bit but they tend to stiffen up defensively in the red zone.

If Taiwan Jones does play and that's a HUGE if, Delaware will have to take note that he's much quicker in person than he appears on film.

J.C Sherritt, #4 is EWU's big defensive stud LB that always seems to find his way around the ball. He set the school record for tackles with over 400 in his career.

Eastern isn't one dimensional on offense. They can light you up either with the run or pass. They do have a quick strike offense, and have been able to score from anywhere on the field.

EWU typically plays it close with 6 of their victories being 7 points or less, 7 if you don't count the garbage TD on the final play against Montana. And they have plenty of experience playing from behind and being able to come back. They don't crumble if they fall behind early. Bo Levi Mitchell can be forced into mistakes and Delaware would be advised force Mitchell into making boneheaded plays. He's the type of QB that will make you scratch your head one moment and wonder where he pulled that one out of the next.

Will their magic carpet ride end on the turf in Frisco? That remains to be seen, but I wouldn't necessarily bet against them. It should be interesting either way.

gbhmt
December 19th, 2010, 10:01 PM
Villanova doesn't have a secondary nearly as talented as Delaware's. Nobody does.

Taiwan Jones would be a non-factor even if healthy. But I'm sure he would score more on Delaware than entire teams have on average all year.

Prides comes before a fall. Cute little sayings aren't going to help much.

And this is where I stopped listening. TJ is the biggest playmaker on the field in every game he plays in. You can't assume he wouldn't be a factor against a defense who's never defended a back like him.

mtbigdog
December 19th, 2010, 10:10 PM
If both teams play mistake free football to the end,I'd put my money on Delaware by 3. But if Delaware does turn over ball Eastern will light you up and bury you!xthumbsupx Go Ewooo xnodx

Side Judge
December 19th, 2010, 10:12 PM

Chris Lum gave Delaware fits, really? Or are you only looking at the passing stats from when the game was out of reach?

You didn't see Szczur on the field with the game on the line, did you?

cowboy91
December 19th, 2010, 10:42 PM
And this is where I stopped listening. TJ is the biggest playmaker on the field in every game he plays in. You can't assume he wouldn't be a factor against a defense who's never defended a back like him.

And if he plays against Delaware he'd still be the 2nd biggest playmaker on the field, behind Pat Devlin. Just biased opinion - I'm sure you'll disagree and that's just fine.

cowboy91
December 19th, 2010, 10:43 PM
You didn't see Szczur on the field with the game on the line, did you?

Do you have a point?

R3TRO
December 20th, 2010, 12:26 AM
Wish it
Want it
Do it

You forgot.... Will it.

cowboy91
December 20th, 2010, 02:43 AM

He hasn't faced a defense like Delaware's and might not even get the chance.

He's good...against the Big Sky.

Screamin_Eagle174
December 20th, 2010, 04:37 AM

And the OVC, and the MVFC, and given his backup's performance against #7 ranked Run-D VU, against the CAA.

Oldhen
December 20th, 2010, 05:01 AM

From the little I've been able to see of him, he's a quality back. Good speed and very shifty. If he plays, he'll get some yards.

I don't think that'll be the difference in the game though.

I think the biggest question mark is whether EWU can get UD's O off the field. If they can do that, and their D can come up big on third downs, it'll be a very good game.

I think UD's D is playing a a very high level right now, and they'll show up in Frisco.

4th and What?
December 20th, 2010, 05:14 AM
1. Mistake free offensive football. Devlin rarely throws an interception. When in the lead, UD reverts to a run game that is not specatcular but plenty talented to keep the other teams offense off the field. Refer to both semi-finals losses for evidence of this assertion.

Nova had 1 turnover each in the previous 2 games, and 0 against UD in the last game of the regular season (to Delaware's 2). Minus the first two games of the season, Whitney and Devlin both had 2 int's the rest of the way....until EWU.

2. Defensive lock down. In the past 8 quarters of football there has been 1 touchdown scored vs UD against two pretty good football teams. We give up more on the ground than in the air. Pass defense has been outstanding, another reason that if UD gets up early, they will be very hard to beat in a comeback.

Agreed, Delaware's defense has been playing great. They have more total yardage against every opponent they have played since JMU, and only given >400 yards to UMass. Just don't let EWU have the short field, or defensive points, which is what they showed against Villanova.

3. UD is very healthy & well-rested. The most recent injuries to two of our wide-recievers (Mackey & Crosby) may keep them both from playing in the NC game but the stable of WR's is deep enough to compensate. Throwing to the RB's out of the backfield or in the slot is another compensation for the losses. I'm not aware of anyone else on the two-deep chart that could miss the game.

Mackey has not had a big impact this season even when he was healthy. Crosby however has, though didn't do a whole lot against GSU. Devlin can do a great job spreading the football around, but taking away one of the primary weapons can have a huge ripple effect on the rest of the offense.

I'll be pulling for Delaware, and they will certainly be a 8 point+ favorite (just like Villanova). The best thing Delaware has going for it, is that they'll be playing on a green field, at which EWU is 3-2 this season, with only one win coming over a team with a winning record (Weber St). EWU has played every game at home since October.

HenZoneNation
December 20th, 2010, 08:49 AM
The biggest advatage we have that Nova didn't...we don't have to travel 10,000 miles in three weeks. I don't want to take anything away from EWU D...That #5 is a player and I don't think I've cheered so hard for a non-UD school as I did Friday night. But Nova wasn't the same team they were when they came to Newark. The turnovers they had were crazy, mental mistakes they just don't make...especially being such a Senior filled roster like they had.

Pat isn't hobbled like Chris was and to be honest...throws the ball much, much better. Whitney was a big, strong kid...a straight winner...but at even at a 100%, which he wasn't. We have three weeks to rest some of our banged up players. They will heal and be ready. I disagree with other posts, I think Jones is a huge loss. He is there superstar and that's a huge blow. For EWU to have risen to the occation an won shows you the charactre of their team..

But #25 caughed the ball up some...he ha dme worried. Great moves but if I'm UD d I'm going after the ball just like EWU will to to pierce. The qb had a great throw on that touchdown, but if he lofts the ball in the air like he did on some of his throws...you're gonna see a 3+ INT game.

NO home field advantage, no huge travel miles over the last three weeks, and no Jones...UD will win.

TwoFeathers
December 20th, 2010, 09:45 AM

Nothing against Villanova, but who said they had a vaunted D (#34 in total Defense)? Nothing like Delaware's. Eastern Washington was lucky to win that game at home against a banged up Villanova team. Don't think this game will be that close. Eastern Washington will be lucky to score more than Delaware defense's average of 11 pts.

LehighGuy
December 20th, 2010, 09:46 AM
CAA folks are regularly accused of being arrogant with the UD fans being the worst of the bunch. Here are the Mr. Spock reasons, non-emotional/sheer logic, UD will be victorious.

The more emotional/subjective issues of disparaging the Big Sky, strength of schedule, common opponents etc will largely be irrelevant.

Lots of other henfans are football smarter than I, but I see these three as the primary factors in the NC.

I agree with points 1 and 3. But am I the only one who was not impressed with Delaware's pass defense? Cowboy can say, "Lum's stats are from when the game was out of reach." That's just not true. Lum picked the secondary apart in the first half.

That being said, the only thing that really impressed me with EWU was their energy level. Those kids were out there to hit people, makes plays, and their intensity was just unreal. Ultimately, it was their hustle that won that game. There's just no way Nova (banged up, well-traveled, and with 5 turnovers) should have been in that game until the very end.

It pains me to say this, but I think Delaware wins by 14. Please prove me wrong EWU.

TwoFeathers
December 20th, 2010, 09:48 AM
5) Not playing at a stadium with a field covered by Tabasco.

That damned glowing-red field must have had something to do with the turnovers by Villanova. It was like it was causing ball-holding dizziness or something...

Skjellyfetti
December 20th, 2010, 09:55 AM
EWU didn't play the same Nova team that beat UD. #4 and Whitney were injured.

#4 was injured for the Delaware game and only saw minimal time.

3 rushes. 0 receptions. 0 punt returns.

TwoFeathers
December 20th, 2010, 09:55 AM
And if he plays against Delaware he'd still be the 2nd biggest playmaker on the field, behind Pat Devlin. Just biased opinion - I'm sure you'll disagree and that's just fine.

Not so sure about that, coming off a broken foot with a pin in there. If he plays, how could he possibly be 100%???

cowboy91
December 20th, 2010, 10:20 AM
They're taking issue with the fact I said he'd be a non-factor even if he was healthy. I'll still stand by it.

semobison
December 20th, 2010, 10:36 AM
Cowboy, Ill give u this,you say whats on your mind, and dont mind eating crow afterwards! Remember the NDSU Montana State prediction? I thought EWU fans were full of it in there praise for TJ. Early 2nd qtr, when he was pushing 200 yards against NDSU's tough D, I was wondering how we were going to stop this guy? The snow helped, then the injury! He is the best FCS back I have seen in person or on TV this year. There frosh replacement isnt bad either!

cowboy91
December 20th, 2010, 10:48 AM
Well I wasn't sure about ND State's chances, given that they let Robert Morris hang with them for three quarters. I didn't necessarily agree that they would be blown out, however.

Jones might be the best back, but if he's not going to play, or not even be fully healthy, his abilities are really moot when it comes to January 7th.

I freely admit my opinions are just opinions and not facts. If I can't support that opinion I'll say it's because I'm biased, etc. I do not deny my CAA and east-coast bias.

Gil Dobie
December 20th, 2010, 10:58 AM
Delaware wins if they outscore EWU xlolx

TwoFeathers
December 20th, 2010, 10:59 AM
Eastern Washington is #64 in Scoring Defense - Allow 25.36 pts per game
Delaware is #1 in Scoring Defense (#2 including FBS???) - Allow 11.5 pts per game

Delaware wins.

cowboy91
December 20th, 2010, 11:01 AM
It counts even if EWU turns it over though, right?

TwoFeathers
December 20th, 2010, 11:05 AM
It counts even if EWU turns it over though, right?

No, not if they turn the ball over by themselves. Delware has to jump across after the snap, and grab the ball out of the QB's hands for the turnovers to count.

cowboy91
December 20th, 2010, 11:10 AM
No, not if they turn the ball over by themselves. Delware has to jump across after the snap, and grab the ball out of the QB's hands for the turnovers to count.

How about those 27 points they scored? Or those don't count either.

Oh, and Delaware's 6 national titles don't count because only 1 was on the I-AA level.

Interesting how GSU's defense gets away with zero criticism.

Tubby Raymond
December 20th, 2010, 11:12 AM
For whatever reason EWU has a knack for being around the ball. They've been on the receiving end of 46 turnovers this season which leads all of FCS. That doesn't happen by accident. EWU forced their fair share of them. They weren't gifts dropped from heaven. Defensively, they play a bend but don't break defensive. They tend to give up a lot of yards between the 20's which skew the stats a little bit but they tend to stiffen up defensively in the red zone.

If Taiwan Jones does play and that's a HUGE if, Delaware will have to take note that he's much quicker in person than he appears on film.

J.C Sherritt, #4 is EWU's big defensive stud LB that always seems to find his way around the ball. He set the school record for tackles with over 400 in his career.

Eastern isn't one dimensional on offense. They can light you up either with the run or pass. They do have a quick strike offense, and have been able to score from anywhere on the field.

EWU typically plays it close with 6 of their victories being 7 points or less, 7 if you don't count the garbage TD on the final play against Montana. And they have plenty of experience playing from behind and being able to come back. They don't crumble if they fall behind early. Bo Levi Mitchell can be forced into mistakes and Delaware would be advised force Mitchell into making boneheaded plays. He's the type of QB that will make you scratch your head one moment and wonder where he pulled that one out of the next.

Will their magic carpet ride end on the turf in Frisco? That remains to be seen, but I wouldn't necessarily bet against them. It should be interesting either way.
Nice work, THX

TwoFeathers
December 20th, 2010, 11:16 AM
How about those 27 points they scored? Or those don't count either.

Oh, and Delaware's 6 national titles don't count because only 1 was on the I-AA level.

Interesting how GSU's defense gets away with zero criticism.

No, because Ga Southern's average is 27.5 pts per game. Which beats Delawares 27 in that game. So if they didn't beat themselves, they should have scored 27.5, therefore they win.

eagle1
December 20th, 2010, 11:18 AM
Delaware is the favorite going in and the underdog role suites EWU just fine. Everyone keeps disrespecting this team and program and that just fuels the energy that drives this team. Go Eagles!!!

TwoFeathers
December 20th, 2010, 11:22 AM
Delaware is the favorite going in and the underdog role suites EWU just fine. Everyone keeps disrespecting this team and program and that just fuels the energy that drives this team. Go Eagles!!!

I was very impressed with EW in the game against Delaware. That kid Mitchell was on fire. And the defense held Szczur in check. However, Villanova was banged up and somewhat one-dimensional with Szczur. When he's not a factor, they are average. And Villanova defense is nothing special either. Delaware is a completely different team and pretty strong across the board, with no single stand-out (aside from Devlin). Delaware's defense should be the difference in this game, combined with no mistakes on offense.

cowboy91
December 20th, 2010, 11:29 AM

Not sure how it's lack of respect when in the final regular season poll EWU was ranked #1 in the country.

The Sports Network/Fathead.com FCS Top-25 College Football Poll

Team (First-place votes) Record Points Previous Rank
1. Eastern Washington Eagles (64) 9-2 3,096 3
2. Appalachian State Mountaineers (39) 9-2 2,960 2
3. Stephen F. Austin Lumberjacks (6) 9-2 2,798 5
4. William & Mary Tribe (3) 8-3 2,721 6
5. Delaware Blue Hens (4) 9-2 2,656 1

ATX_EWUGrad
December 20th, 2010, 11:50 AM
Not sure how it's lack of respect when in the final regular season poll EWU was ranked #1 in the country.

The Sports Network/Fathead.com FCS Top-25 College Football Poll

Team (First-place votes) Record Points Previous Rank
1. Eastern Washington Eagles (64) 9-2 3,096 3
2. Appalachian State Mountaineers (39) 9-2 2,960 2
3. Stephen F. Austin Lumberjacks (6) 9-2 2,798 5
4. William & Mary Tribe (3) 8-3 2,721 6
5. Delaware Blue Hens (4) 9-2 2,656 1

This is just me but the whole lack of respect comes from being ranked #1 in both polls at seasons end and have it not equate into being seeded #1 when the playoff brackets were released. Now I completely understand why they weren't seeded 1st as they lost the tie-breaker to MSU and were only the Co-Champs of the BSC. But many took it as a slight and a sign of disrespect that they weren't seeded higher. If that puts a chip on EWU's shoulder and they use it as motivatation more power to them. Another thing that pi$$es people off in the region and the lack of respect, believed or imagined is the lack of respect shown by The Spokesman-Review, the local paper. It pi$$es people off that that paper in particular fawns over a *****ty a$$ Washington State Cougars team located 90 miles away and hasn't won anything since the days of Ryan Leaf, while a team 15 miles away can't get any coverage and takes making the national semi-final for the paper to finally come on-board. But EWU will get there chance for vindication in 2012 when the get to travel to Pullman and face the Cougars to earn their respect.

BTGriz
December 20th, 2010, 11:54 AM

You implying the Big sky is not very good?
Here are a few stats from the last 20 years and 10 years.
Last 20 years Championship appearances, won in ():
Southern 13 (8), Big Sky 10 (2), CAA 8 (5), Missouri Valley 7 (4), Southland 2 (0), Gateway 1 (1), Patriot 1 (0)
Last 10 years:
CAA 7 (4), Big Sky 6 (1), Southern 5 (4), Gateway 1 (1), Patriot, Missouri Valley, and Southland 1 (0)

Don't count EWU out just yet, should be a good game, and with that layoff anything can happen.

cowboy91
December 20th, 2010, 12:03 PM
I am not implying anything - the Big Sky has soft defenses.

blukeys
December 20th, 2010, 01:50 PM

I get it the Georgia Southern rule.

Screamin_Eagle174
December 20th, 2010, 02:05 PM

That's because our offenses are so good. Delawares D is so good because the CAA has soft offenses.

Screamin_Eagle174
December 20th, 2010, 02:11 PM
Nothing against Villanova, but who said they had a vaunted D (#34 in total Defense)? Nothing like Delaware's. Eastern Washington was lucky to win that game at home against a banged up Villanova team. Don't think this game will be that close. Eastern Washington will be lucky to score more than Delaware defense's average of 11 pts.

http://www.championshipsubdivision.com/forums/images/smilies/rofl.gif

b_f_c_99
December 20th, 2010, 02:13 PM
Your all over thinking this, if ANY team can get there defensive lineman in the backfield constantly, without blitzing, the other team has its hands full. EW pushed Villanovas O line all over the place. Whitney is truly more of a fullback than a QB, and you could see he was rattled. Either EW hurt Szur early but I suspect that he has been dinged up for a while and after he got whacked a few times he just wasn't the same.

Also all the poor us we had to travel a long ways, well welcome to the Big Sky teams here travel all over the place all the time. Nobody was shedding a tear for Montana a couple of years ago when they had to go to James Madison, then back home, then to the championship game.

But in the end the line play will decide how this is going to go.

cowboy91
December 20th, 2010, 02:23 PM
That's because our offenses are so good. Delawares D is so good because the CAA has soft offenses.

Ask GSU about our "soft" CAA offense.

Oldhen
December 20th, 2010, 02:24 PM
But in the end the line play will decide how this is going to go.

I think that's probably true. If EWU's DL can play on our side of the LOS, it'll be a long day for us. EWU's D appears to have playmakers at all three levels, and if they can get UD's O off the field, they're in very good shape.

cowboy91
December 20th, 2010, 02:29 PM
I think that's probably true. If EWU's DL can play on our side of the LOS, it'll be a long day for us. EWU's D appears to have playmakers at all three levels, and if they can get UD's O off the field, they're in very good shape.

And if they do, Devlin will pick them apart with quick hitters.

You did see how many yards in the air they're giving up, right?

Oh wait, the Big Sky all has these unstoppable offenses. Nevermind.

cowboy91
December 20th, 2010, 03:05 PM
And the Big Sky is also 0-2 in those games.

b_f_c_99
December 20th, 2010, 03:50 PM
Biggest reason Montana didn't beat Nova last year was that Coach Hauk is more interested in showing everyone how physical and tough he is by extension of his football team. Montana absolutely killed Nova in the first half throwing the ball. The second half he was going to show everyone that he could be as physical as Nova, completely stupid, even after Nova proved to him that they were more physical he refused to stack the box and stop Szur, probably as badly coached game as I have ever seen. Notice how EW just kept on doing what they do. They made mistakes Nova made some turn overs they wouldn't normally make, but the Nova QB spent a good chunk of the night with his center stuffed in his face.

I notice that powerful running teams that normally don't fumble tend to say they gave the game away when 'all of a sudden, for no reason our guys fumbled'
Thats the risk you take with option stuff like Novas stick the ball in some guys belly and then both run at the line, or Georgia Southerns lets pitch the ball around in the backfield, now and then a team disrupts that comfort zone and mistakes happen. Same thing with passing teams that suddenly throw picks, something normally has to disrupt the flow and comfort. EW picked Nova apart with short throws.

Comparing how Eastern Played against Nova, or how Delaware matches up with Nova is pointless, they have different personnel.

For example Delaware is obviously very well designed to bust up an option running attack. So was Montana in 1995 when they crushed option teams by 50 points a game. Marshall was a different story and Montana managed to win 22-20. Just comparing the leagues and who does what style of offense and defense means nothing. The individual athletes at their positions and how they match up against each other is what matters.

cowboy91
December 20th, 2010, 03:55 PM
Delaware wins simply because of numbers.

Just look at the date of the game. 1/7/11.

Delaware will be going for program title 7.

Delaware's captains. #1, #17, and #11.

Further, in the semifinal back in 03, Delaware had a back run for 186 yards after 3 home playoff games. On Saturday, Delaware, in their 3rd home playoff game, had a back run for 186 yards.

It's clearly a sign.

b_f_c_99
December 20th, 2010, 04:14 PM
I guess EW would say they are a team of destiny what with the "cool" red field........yikes!

I wish they were playing next week like normal, yeah dinged up players get to heal up but Nova was clearly hurt at key positions. That mean they should have waited for 2 weeks so they could get back to normal? In 2008 JMU and Montana beat the crap out of each other in the semis Then Montana flew home (a long ways) and then back the the championship game the next week (a long ways) nobody was crying the blues for Montana and all the travel they had to do. JMU clearly softened up the griz for Richmond and they looked it in that game.

b_f_c_99
December 20th, 2010, 04:42 PM
I'm not really arguing Oldhen, I didn't think EW would beat Nova, and It appears that your team is very talented and solid in all phases, I expect them to win actually. I'm just pointing out that different teams matchup very differently with each other. So predicting who will win off of who you have played and who
they have played really never works, although really not any better way to make a prediction, or conversation.

cowboy91
December 20th, 2010, 06:07 PM
Not buying it, TheFan.

HenZoneNation
December 20th, 2010, 06:29 PM
Biggest reason Montana didn't beat Nova last year was that Coach Hauk is more interested in showing everyone how physical and tough he is by extension of his football team. Montana absolutely killed Nova in the first half throwing the ball. The second half he was going to show everyone that he could be as physical as Nova, completely stupid, even after Nova proved to him that they were more physical he refused to stack the box and stop Szur, probably as badly coached game as I have ever seen. Notice how EW just kept on doing what they do. They made mistakes Nova made some turn overs they wouldn't normally make, but the Nova QB spent a good chunk of the night with his center stuffed in his face.

I notice that powerful running teams that normally don't fumble tend to say they gave the game away when 'all of a sudden, for no reason our guys fumbled'
Thats the risk you take with option stuff like Novas stick the ball in some guys belly and then both run at the line, or Georgia Southerns lets pitch the ball around in the backfield, now and then a team disrupts that comfort zone and mistakes happen. Same thing with passing teams that suddenly throw picks, something normally has to disrupt the flow and comfort. EW picked Nova apart with short throws.

Comparing how Eastern Played against Nova, or how Delaware matches up with Nova is pointless, they have different personnel.

For example Delaware is obviously very well designed to bust up an option running attack. So was Montana in 1995 when they crushed option teams by 50 points a game. Marshall was a different story and Montana managed to win 22-20. Just comparing the leagues and who does what style of offense and defense means nothing. The individual athletes at their positions and how they match up against each other is what matters.

I remember Montana fans *****ing about Hauk...of course after this season with your new coach behind the healm things didn't really work out.

Chemhen
December 20th, 2010, 06:40 PM

Uh, they did that for the last fumble (ok, intercepted a pitch, but its basically the same thing). GSU was fumble prone, but, apart from the botched snap, I believe the other fumbles were all forced. They didn't occur in a vacuum. Delaware led the CAA in the regular season in turnover differential by a wide margin (+11, I think?). Its a strength of the team and shouldn't be discounted.

b_f_c_99
December 20th, 2010, 07:54 PM
I remember Montana fans *****ing about Hauk...of course after this season with your new coach behind the healm things didn't really work out.

Completely new offensive and defensive styles with kids recruited for a different style of ball. Alot of injuries as well as one of the largest graduating senior classes. I guess you would call that rebuilding.

dudeitsaid
December 20th, 2010, 08:08 PM

As does FBS Nevada, right? It is true that Delaware has a great rush defense. But Sac State, and Southern Utah (Great West) are almost the same statistically in rush defense as Deleware. And we also played the OVC and MVC. Yet, TJ ran for over 140 yards in every one of those games.

Unfortunately, we won't see Taiwan Jones at 100% against Delaware. If we did, maybe Delaware would be the one team that would effectively game plan for him (except of MSU's strategy of injury, which is the only way I've seen to stop him). Sorry, but Delaware's defense is not as good as Nevada's. In my opinion, since that is all we can wrestle over, Delaware would be frustrated by their lack of ability to stop him, just like everyone else.

BTW, funny how easy it is to pump up a Delaware team and CAA conference that is SOOOO much better than the BSC. Yet, in the past 3 years, when they've met in the playoffs, the CAA is 3-2 against the Big Sky. And the NC with Montana and Nova seemed to be a closely matched game. So, I would agree, the opinion about the superiority of the CAA is more bias than fact. Deleware is an AMAZING team! That's why they are in the NC. I just hope they think it will be as easy a game as so many others do.

Tubby Raymond
December 20th, 2010, 08:19 PM
BTW, funny how easy it is to pump up a Delaware team and CAA conference that is SOOOO much better than the BSC.

I think most of us are talking about this team and this year. EWU has earned it, no question. The odds makers seem to have it about right, we are a 7 point favorite. Lots of 7 point favorite bite the dust, I just don't happen to think we will be one of them.

cowboy91
December 20th, 2010, 08:43 PM
Of course you happen to leave out that Sac State gives up a total of 334 ypg and Southern Utah gives up about 310 ypg.

Delaware can actually stop the run and the pass. Can EWU?

rumple
December 20th, 2010, 10:18 PM
I think most of us are talking about this team and this year. EWU has earned it, no question. The odds makers seem to have it about right, we are a 7 point favorite. Lots of 7 point favorite bite the dust, I just don't happen to think we will be one of them.

Delaware money coming in already, up to -8.

Skjellyfetti
December 20th, 2010, 10:44 PM
Delaware can actually stop the run and the pass. Can EWU?

I've only seen EWU once this year... but, I was VERY impressed with their defensive performance in that game (Villanova).
Allowed only 95 yards passing and 130 yards rushing. 230 total yards.

For comparison... Delaware gave up 150 passing and 141 rushing. 291 total yards.

cowboy91
December 20th, 2010, 10:49 PM
The fact that Whitney was playing on one leg had no impact?

If people think because EWU beat a hobbled and hurt Villanova, and Villanova beat Delaware, they're in for a rude, rude, rude awakening.

dudeitsaid
December 21st, 2010, 12:48 AM
I personally don't think one equals the other, and can see why Delaware would be the favorite. But I don't think EWU has no chance of winning this game. I drank the CAA koolaid and thought Nova would kill us, but that didn't happen. Assign to that whatever excuses you want. I was at the game, and EWU came out with the same attitude the have for just about every game. And that is, they believe they can win, and they will never, ever, ever give up until the game is over. They will never except that the game is over no matter how far they get down, what the momentum seems to be, what everyone else thinks about them, etc. They just keep fricken playing. They are a team you can never leave the stadium early on. It almost seems like they like to leave the game in doubt till the last moments, just so they can "snatch the victory from the jaws of defeat" as Larry Wier says, and leave the field as their frustated opponents jaws are on the ground, saying "What just happened!"

TwoFeathers
December 21st, 2010, 07:40 AM
What do they say about defense and championships??? EWU gives up 25+ points per game, Delaware...11.

HenZoneNation
December 21st, 2010, 09:08 AM
That might be Jones's kool aid you're drinking...did it smell like bitter almonds and make your toes numb?

cowboy91
December 21st, 2010, 10:11 AM
I personally don't think one equals the other, and can see why Delaware would be the favorite. But I don't think EWU has no chance of winning this game. I drank the CAA koolaid and thought Nova would kill us, but that didn't happen. Assign to that whatever excuses you want. I was at the game, and EWU came out with the same attitude the have for just about every game. And that is, they believe they can win, and they will never, ever, ever give up until the game is over. They will never except that the game is over no matter how far they get down, what the momentum seems to be, what everyone else thinks about them, etc. They just keep fricken playing. They are a team you can never leave the stadium early on. It almost seems like they like to leave the game in doubt till the last moments, just so they can "snatch the victory from the jaws of defeat" as Larry Wier says, and leave the field as their frustated opponents jaws are on the ground, saying "What just happened!"

You do realize that Villanova was a team that finished the year at 7-4 and finished about 4th in the CAA and Delaware was a co-champion?

People don't seem to realize that Delaware is not William and Mary and they're not Villanova.

I guess the fact that Delaware is literally about 2 snaps away from being 14-0 means nothing, but, hey, they beat Nova and they all have GREAT offense.

b_f_c_99
December 21st, 2010, 12:29 PM
Cowboy 91 is correct. In fact what they should do is just cancel this game and give them the trophy. And then everyone will realize the awesomeness of the east coast CAA. Then the NCAA can kick Oregon out of that 'other' game since really Oregon is out west and we all know they suck. And we can all revel as Delaware kicks the piss out of Auburn. Wow so simple. Then again, virtually every team can find instances where just a couple of things went wrong that cost them 2 or 3 games...........................Go Hens!

cowboy91
December 21st, 2010, 12:42 PM
It's kind of funny how much CAA hate there is. I guess we'll see what happens in a few weeks.

HenZoneNation
December 21st, 2010, 12:47 PM
Cowboy 91 is correct. In fact what they should do is just cancel this game and give them the trophy. And then everyone will realize the awesomeness of the east coast CAA.

That's the spirit...I think for all the talk of East Coast bias, there is just as much West Coast envy. I think EWU is a very good team. I think Delaware is better. There have been arguements made on both sides. They will be settled on the field but getting bent out of shape about it is silly. It's a message board. What's Cowboy gonna say...you're better than us? It isn't true. The Big Sky is a tougher Conference? Has been a shred of proof to support that. It's all good...in the end none of us will impact the game....the GAME that UD will win....(Insert eveil East Coast Laughter) BAHHHHHHHHHHHHH!

b_f_c_99
December 21st, 2010, 12:54 PM
It's kind of funny how much CAA hate there is. I guess we'll see what happens in a few weeks.

Actually I think the CAA is good...REAL good, and top to bottom the best league, it will be a shame if it gets dismantled or the top teams leave. That being said its really hard to compare the leagues if your not playing all the teams in the each year. Division rivalrys tend to figure out how each other work and then even the bad teams can play the good teams pretty tough.

And henzone what I see is more of a well Eastern may be a good team but the Big Sky sucks, really? App State is a good team but what about the rest? Pretty easy to go down that road.

cowboy91
December 21st, 2010, 01:14 PM
I would only say EWU was better than Delaware if I believed it. I don't. If they win, then they will prove otherwise.

HenZoneNation
December 21st, 2010, 01:14 PM
And henzone what I see is more of a well Eastern may be a good team but the Big Sky sucks, really? App State is a good team but what about the rest? Pretty easy to go down that road.

I have...with a couple of those guys. I don't think the Big Sky sucks or the Socon sucks...in my opinion (and lets take it for what it's worth) there are four major conferences that year in and year out have viable teams that show up in the playoffs. MVC, Big Sky, SoCon, and the CAA. There are exceptions but by and by those are it. I was floored that they gave MEAC two teams this year. That's a joke.

b_f_c_99
December 21st, 2010, 01:29 PM
I think the biggest trick to having success for teams in the post season is just getting there often enough. Then you get to see what the travel is like, play teams and styles that you are unfamiliar with. Do this enough and the program gets better.

Walkon79
December 21st, 2010, 01:49 PM
I think the biggest trick to having success for teams in the post season is just getting there often enough. Then you get to see what the travel is like, play teams and styles that you are unfamiliar with. Do this enough and the program gets better.

That's my hope for the coming years. We obviously were not ready for playoff football this year.

Oldhen
December 21st, 2010, 01:52 PM
The top teams in the MVC, Big Sky, SoCon, and the CAA all give each other good games. That's why this NC will be a good game.

What's suspect is that MVC, Big Sky, and SoCon really seem to have two, roughly-equivalent-sized tiers of teams with a big difference between the quality of play between them. In the CAA, that gap has narrowed AMAZINGLY in the past ten years (and even more just this year).... like the team that finished eighth in the CAA beat #12 Virginia Tech. We only have one bad team now after attrition.

What's the point of saying this?

It's just very hard to make an apples-to-apples comparison of season stats and strengths of schedules. I don't think that you can go too far wrong with Sagarin's end-of-season conference ratings (or team ratings). They won't make you rich on Saturday - just too many other variables... but they WILL take all the guesswork over who-beat-who , pre-game comparisons. All that works done for you by their computer model, and there's no better system.

Blazerbird
December 21st, 2010, 01:59 PM
In my mind, geography plays a huge factor in a Big Sky win/loss record and statistics. First, you've got travel. It's a long way from Flagstaff or Greely to most other conference cities. Speaking of Flagstaff, it's at 7000'. Secondly, you could be playing in a monsoon in Portland, a blizzard in Missoula, Bozeman, or Greely, or on concrete in Pocatello. If you play an OOC game on the road, you're in for a long flight or drive. This year's 6th "home" game for the Eagles was 300 miles away in Seattle. I'm sure Delaware has it's own issues.
I'm not saying that records or statistics aren't valuable, I'm just saying that there are good reasons why they only tell half the story. Anyone who claims they know what's going to happen in the title game is really just guessing.

b_f_c_99
December 21st, 2010, 02:00 PM
That's my hope for the coming years. We obviously were not ready for playoff football this year.

That and you might stop playing the team that Montana played the week before, EVERY week. But I'm glad the Cats are getting better.

bleedblue
December 21st, 2010, 02:03 PM
I think, I said think, UD wins but not by a lot. I say UD wins by 7 but it will be a game late in the 4th.

Walkon79
December 21st, 2010, 02:09 PM
That and you might stop playing the team that Montana played the week before, EVERY week. But I'm glad the Cats are getting better.

Not that "Griz Hangover" Crap again xsmiley_wixxsmiley_wix

srgrizizen
December 21st, 2010, 02:15 PM
They're taking issue with the fact I said he'd be a non-factor even if he was healthy. I'll still stand by it.

Which doubly earns you the award for the dumbest post in this thread. You obviously have never seen him and have no clue about Taiwan Jones and are just pulling this out of your biased a**. Delaware might well win even with a healthy TJ, it's all idle speculation. So I'll just assert you would have seen TJ disappearing toward your goal at about twice the speed of anybody on your team. As to the "injuries" to Szczur and Whitney in the last game, it looked to me like they were mostly inflicted by great tooth-jarring hits by the "big fluffy sky" champs. Also, I wonder why losers always call their turnovers "mistakes" whereas when their team gets them, turnovers are always "forced."

Walkon79
December 21st, 2010, 02:30 PM
Which doubly earns you the award for the dumbest post in this thread. You obviously have never seen him and have no clue about Taiwan Jones and are just pulling this out of your biased a**. Delaware might well win even with a healthy TJ, it's all idle speculation. So I'll just assert you would have seen TJ disappearing toward your goal at about twice the speed of anybody on your team. As to the "injuries" to Szczur and Whitney in the last game, it looked to me like they were mostly inflicted by great tooth-jarring hits by the "big fluffy sky" champs. Also, I wonder why losers always call their turnovers "mistakes" whereas when their team gets them, turnovers are always "forced."

Great Post!! xnodxxnodxxnodx

Must be Christmas as I'm agreeing with a Griz Fan 100%!!

HenZoneNation
December 21st, 2010, 02:46 PM

Clearly the volume on your TV was too low...Whitney was told by doctors well before the EWU game that his football days were over the second after his last college snap...the dude was straight beat up..two bulging disks a bumb knee and god know what else...Ceasar got a concussion and by the looks of it was pretty pissed not to be allowed out...That was not a very good post.

As far as Turnovers go...I'm with you. We have a long line of GSU fans that seem to think that fumbles are simply caused by bad luck and not defense. EWU played a great defensive game cause a handful of turnovers. Some of those though were unforced turnovers and un-NOVA like. I think you'd agree that travelling 10,000 miles in three weeks might equate to that.

Losers...where you at? Has Hauk?

b_f_c_99
December 21st, 2010, 02:59 PM
Yeah Whitney was beat up, but when your offense consists of taking the shotgun, then sticking the ball in some guys gut while you both run at the line your going to take a beating over the course of 2 or 3 years. Which is why NFL teams don't do that stuff.

cowboy91
December 21st, 2010, 04:50 PM

I like how somehow I'm pulling an assertion about Jones "out of my ***" yet there's this assumption that if he was healthy he would be twice as fast as anyone on our team.

So Taiwan Jones looks great in a conference that plays zero defense. Nothing will change my opinion (which you're entitled to disagree with - it's on you if you want to sound ignorant refuting it)

I think Dayton went 11-0 in the regular season in the Pioneer, should they have made the playoffs while we're at it?

The only way to settle it is if Taiwan Jones plays against Delaware. Since the health of the Villanova players didn't matter then neither will his.

semobison
December 21st, 2010, 06:05 PM
That Big Sky defense held Nova, the defending champs to 235 yards! In NDSU's game against EWU, I was suprised by the speed and physical play of the Eagles! That being said, I think Delaware has a great defense! The kind that wins championships! If Delaware can pressure Mitchell like NDSU did (until the last 2 minutes of the game) I like the Hens. If not, I give the Eagles a punchers chance!

HenZoneNation
December 21st, 2010, 06:08 PM
Yeah Whitney was beat up, but when your offense consists of taking the shotgun, then sticking the ball in some guys gut while you both run at the line your going to take a beating over the course of 2 or 3 years. Which is why NFL teams don't do that stuff.

Okay...what does this have to do with your statement that EWU beat the crap out of Whitney and Szczur? The type of offense we run is not in question. If you want to bring up offenses then I suggest you slam the Triple Option, The Pistol, and most college offenses. What colleges run and what the pros run don't always go hand in hand. I seem to recall the knock on Flacco was that he took most of his snaps from the shotgun...seems pretty popular now with such teams as the Giants, Colts, Ravens, Falcons, Patriots, etc. All those teams have some pretty effective passers. Pat will be just fine as well.

Dude, it's hard, I get it. Your team is coming up on 10 years without a NC, your program took a major step backwards, and you're struggling. It hurts. But at least stay on topic and make some sense.

HenZoneNation
December 21st, 2010, 06:12 PM
Lets not get ahead of our selves about the holding Nova to anything. They still scored 31 points after turning the ball over 6 times...Yards are yrads...points are points. EWU caused some of those turnovers...no doubt...but some were just plain mental mistakes from traveling 10,000 miles in 3 weeks.

cowboy91
December 21st, 2010, 07:04 PM
That Big Sky defense held Nova, the defending champs to 235 yards! In NDSU's game against EWU, I was suprised by the speed and physical play of the Eagles! That being said, I think Delaware has a great defense! The kind that wins championships! If Delaware can pressure Mitchell like NDSU did (until the last 2 minutes of the game) I like the Hens. If not, I give the Eagles a punchers chance!

But that same Big Sky defense held the 4TH best CAA team to a mere 31 points, too.

Sure, EWU has a chance.

semobison
December 21st, 2010, 07:32 PM
So does traveling 3000 miles sap your strength too? EWU knocked Nova around last week? 180 more yards of offense then that 4th place CAA team that happened to beat Delaware! They dominated Nova at the line of scrimmage. I wouldnt bet on Delaware to lose, but there is no doubt about the fact that EWU kicked Nova's ***! I guess giving credit where credit is due isnt the CAA way!

cowboy91
December 21st, 2010, 07:55 PM
Sounds like it with the 15% 3rd down conversions from EWU's offense.

Georgia Southern beat William & Mary - who beat Delaware. How'd that work out for Georgia Southern?

Screamin_Eagle174
December 21st, 2010, 08:28 PM
I like how somehow I'm pulling an assertion about Jones "out of my ***" yet there's this assumption that if he was healthy he would be twice as fast as anyone on our team.

So Taiwan Jones looks great in a conference that plays zero defense. Nothing will change my opinion (which you're entitled to disagree with - it's on you if you want to sound ignorant refuting it)

I think Dayton went 11-0 in the regular season in the Pioneer, should they have made the playoffs while we're at it?

The only way to settle it is if Taiwan Jones plays against Delaware. Since the health of the Villanova players didn't matter then neither will his.

Taiwan's backup, who isn't nearly as fast or as talented, got over 100 yards on Nova's 7th ranked Run-D. Delaware's Run-D is ranked 15th. I think it's pretty fair to say that TJ would run wild on Delaware if healthy.

cowboy91
December 21st, 2010, 08:33 PM
Taiwan's backup, who isn't nearly as fast or as talented, got over 100 yards on Nova's 7th ranked Run-D. Delaware's Run-D is ranked 15th. I think it's pretty fair to say that TJ would run wild on Delaware if healthy. You're entitled to your opinions, but you only sound like an idiot supporting them.

Taiwan Jones still put those stats up against soft Big Sky defenses - and that's not going to change.

That's not opinion - it's fact.

semobison
December 21st, 2010, 08:39 PM
Cowboy, did you miss the part where the FROSH BACKUP ran for over 100 against CAA Nova! Or dont you read the whole post! THATS A FACT!

Screamin_Eagle174
December 21st, 2010, 08:44 PM
Taiwan Jones still put those stats up against soft Big Sky defenses - and that's not going to change.

That's not opinion - it's fact.

NAU's run D is ranked 5th, Sac State's 16th, and SUU's 21st. That's not opinion, it's fact. xcoffeex

b_f_c_99
Okay...what does this have to do with your statement that EWU beat the crap out of Whitney and Szczur? The type of offense we run is not in question. If you want to bring up offenses then I suggest you slam the Triple Option, The Pistol, and most college offenses. What colleges run and what the pros run don't always go hand in hand. I seem to recall the knock on Flacco was that he took most of his snaps from the shotgun...seems pretty popular now with such teams as the Giants, Colts, Ravens, Falcons, Patriots, etc. All those teams have some pretty effective passers. Pat will be just fine as well.

Dude, it's hard, I get it. Your team is coming up on 10 years without a NC, your program took a major step backwards, and you're struggling. It hurts. But at least stay on topic and make some sense.

What are you talking about? I never said EW beat up Villanova, It was obvious that they were hurting going in, my point was that if your QB runs alot and get hits alot, an accurate statement of what Villanova runs, eventually you will get dinged up. And that only relates to the NFL in the fact that they pay QB's ALOT and they don't want to trash them. Now RB's in the NFL are pretty much throw away, get one slam him into the line until he wears out, get another one.

cowboy91
But they're not playing Villanova, they're playing Delaware.

Screamin_Eagle174
December 21st, 2010, 08:47 PM
But they're not playing Villanova, they're playing Delaware.

Exactly, who has a lower-rated run-D.

cowboy91
December 21st, 2010, 08:51 PM
NAU's run D is ranked 5th, Sac State's 16th, and SUU's 21st. That's not opinion, it's fact. xcoffeex

Of course both of those teams had about 100 less rush attempts against them then the rest of the Big Sky. He only had like 48 yards against NAU - so you might want to leave that one out.

Screamin_Eagle174
December 21st, 2010, 08:56 PM
Of course both of those teams had about 100 less rush attempts against them then the rest of the Big Sky. He only had like 48 yards against NAU - so you might want to leave that one out.

Perhaps the reason those teams had about 100 less rush attempts against them is because their opponents weren't finding any success doing so... xcoffeex

He was injured still in the NAU game, and only played one half. Against the other two, he put up a combined 300+ yards and 2 TDs.

cowboy91
December 21st, 2010, 08:59 PM
He was injured still in that game, and only played one half.

But things like injuries don't matter - considering you beat Villanova with their two best offensive players healthy.

Oldhen
December 21st, 2010, 09:00 PM
Finally got a chance to look at the EWU/Nova game, and at least some of the EWU/NDSU game. I'll let them settle and go back to them in a few days and post any further thoughts I have.... but what I saw thus far makes me think a few things...

-I really haven't seen much to make me think either UD or EWU has any material advantage in the match-ups along the lines, if 'Nova is a good comparison base. EWU rushes the passer pretty well, and may get a few sacks if we go to routes that take a little while to develop. I was impressed with their big DT #98, and am glad he'll probably match up against #56. I think EWU's OL had an early advantage in the running game against a three man front, but Nova seemed to adjust.

-I expect EWU to be able to run some, but not run wild. I expect Jones to be out or limited, but Brown showed some stuff against Nova. He's got quick feet, good balance, and accelerates well. Jitterbug with some speed, not a power guy. He gets a step or two, he could be off to the races.

-In the passing game, Mitchell averages a yard less per attempt than Devlin, and an efficiency rating 20 points less... but the guy has thrown THIRTY-FOUR TD passes (against 14 picks). That's a lot (of both). Against 'Nova, I got some glimmerings about that. I think EWU WR's had a real advantage in speed and athleticism over 'Nova, and EWU was regularly able to get favorable match-ups... and Mitchell was able to recognize it and go to the right receiver. He got Edwards in the slot matched up against a LB...TD. He got Kaufman in single coverage outside (and in what looked like a pre-arranged audible/automatic) hit him in stride with a three step gap for a 76 yard TD. These guys were behind 'Nova's secondary every bit as regularly as the goal posts. They just ran right by 'em.... and I think that was - at least partially - because 'Nova was leaning in to stop the short passing game, and Mitchell just double-pumped receivers right past coverage.

-EWU's D likes to keep everything in front of them. Devlin's short passing game will oblige them. He'll take those 5-7 yards on quick-hitters all day and night, and EWU is going to have to adjust to try to take that away. I've said all along, I think the trick for EWU is going to be getting UD off the field on third down. Playing soft in the secondary against a 70% passer favoring quick-developing, short routes won't git 'er done, and I'm going to be interested in seeing how EWU adjusts because I think they're going to have to.. EWU's back seven is quite quick.... although neither NDSU or 'Nova seemed to give me much of a look at their straight-ahead speed.

-Right at the moment, I think the match-up of the game is going to be EWU's receivers against UD's secondary. If their game against 'Nova is anything to judge them by, they're the best receiver group we've seen all year. Fitting, I guess, that handling them will be up to the strength of a very, very good defense... our senior secondary, who (I think) have been the gold standard for FCS secondaries all year.

-If i had to pick a second key to the game right now, it'll be Devlin against the EWU secondary. As I said before, I can't see them being able to play soft all game if Devlin goes to his quick-hitting, underneath-coverage, ball-control passing game. They will just have to adjust something to deal with that; I have no idea what they'll do do adjust, and that will have much to do with the success of UD's passing game.

... be back with more thoughts later.

00bluehen
December 21st, 2010, 09:05 PM
Oldhen, I've noticed a few of your posts on CS and GoHens about how you've stockpiled some of EWU's games. How did you do that? Gameplan? ESPN3? For the semifinal, I understand that you likely just DVR'd ESPN2...but was wondering how you got some of their regular season games (I think I might've seen that you had either the UM or MSU game somewhere).

Oldhen
December 21st, 2010, 09:08 PM
Exactly, who has a lower-rated run-D.

You gotta put that in perspective... folks preferred to run against us (vs. Nova) because we were so much harder to throw against. That skews the stats.

cowboy91
December 21st, 2010, 09:12 PM
If I'm EWU I'd worry much more about my defense than I would about Delaware.

I'll take Devlin over Bo Levi Mitchell 10 times out of 10. Remember Old Hen, 34 TDs...most of which coming against the Big Sky who has soft pass defenses.

Oldhen
December 21st, 2010, 09:16 PM
Oldhen, I've noticed a few of your posts on CS and GoHens about how you've stockpiled some of EWU's games. How did you do that? Gameplan? ESPN3? For the semifinal, I understand that you likely just DVR'd ESPN2...but was wondering how you got some of their regular season games (I think I might've seen that you had either the UM or MSU game somewhere).

Only have seen two of their games this year... TiVo'd 'Nova and NDSU game... but have nothing from the regular season

cowboy91
December 21st, 2010, 09:19 PM
How reliable are either one of those going to be? Villanova was a team that was gassed and ND State was in a snowstorm against a dome team. That's not really EWU's problem but I think both are factors. Villanova looked like a team that was spent after playing at Appalachian State. I think EWU has had a little tougher time in the playoffs than we have - I think. We have played, at this point, 9 ranked teams.

It's true, Delaware will do absolutely nothing to jump out at you statistically. But that doesn't really matter at this point. Andy Hall never did anything spectacular on a stats sheet, but he was just a winner.

cowboy91
December 21st, 2010, 09:43 PM
http://www.footballscoop.com/coaching-awards/2010-coaches-of-the-year/2010-div-1-aa-coordinator

1st Nationally - Scoring Defense (11.5 PPG)
4th Nationally - Opp. TD % in red zone (43%)
5th Nationally - Total Defense (277 YPG)
6th Nationally - Third down defense (29%)
6th Nationally - Turnovers Gained (31)
15th Nationally - Rushing Defense (111 YPG)

Screamin_Eagle174
December 21st, 2010, 10:21 PM
http://sportsnetwork.com/merge/tsnform.aspx?c=sportsnetwork&page=cfoot2/misc/TSN-DIV-1AA-POLL.htm

1st Nationally.

dudeitsaid
December 21st, 2010, 10:44 PM

The assumption is not that he would be twice as fast as anyone. The assertion is that when healthy, he has had success against every defense he has faced. Youtube him and watch him run through Nevada, and other defenses.

You're assertions you are pulling out of your *** has left you with no credibility. Sometimes even great players get shut down (Szczur, who is without question a stud). But, based on past history, I would bet TJ would break 100 yds rushing against a great Delaware D. And not just simply because he is fast, but because his superpower is making people miss, no matter how fast they are.

The way you talk makes me wonder if you've never even seen him play. So, check him out on youtube, and if you won't give the Big Sky, Great West, OVC, MVC any defensive credit at all, hopefully his rushing against a Nevada team that most certainly has a stronger D than Delaware will. If not, you are just simply trying to irritate people.

cowboy91
December 21st, 2010, 10:45 PM
79 points allowed in the playoffs. Ouch.

That's not playing like a #1 ranked team.

cowboy91
December 21st, 2010, 10:54 PM
The assumption is not that he would be twice as fast as anyone. The assertion is that when healthy, he has had success against every defense he has faced. Youtube him and watch him run through Nevada, and other defenses.

You're assertions you are pulling out of your *** has left you with no credibility. Sometimes even great players get shut down (Szczur, who is without question a stud). But, based on past history, I would bet TJ would break 100 yds rushing against a great Delaware D. And not just simply because he is fast, but because his superpower is making people miss, no matter how fast they are.

The way you talk makes me wonder if you've never even seen him play. So, check him out on youtube, and if you won't give the Big Sky, Great West, OVC, MVC any defensive credit at all, hopefully his rushing against a Nevada team that most certainly has a stronger D than Delaware will. If not, you are just simply trying to irritate people.

The only thing in those clips of Jones absolutely horrendous tackling by slow, soft Big Sky defenses.

Frankly talking about a guy that probably won't even play, and even if he does he won't be healthy is kind of pointless. It's just my opinion, and insulting it won't change my opinion. Inferiority complex much? Does it really matter that I'm not impressed by your running back? You shouldn't care. If Jones does play - healthy or not, but Delaware wins, does it really matter? It shouldn't.

Honestly I couldn't care less about statistics, Villanova, Matt Szczur, Bo Levi Mitchell, the soft Big Sky Conference, Taiwan Jones, his backup, your red turf, or whether I have credibility with EWU fans. The only thing that matters is winning the 7th national championship in program history.

HenZoneNation
December 22nd, 2010, 12:17 AM
What are you talking about? I never said EW beat up Villanova, It was obvious that they were hurting going in, my point was that if your QB runs alot and get hits alot, an accurate statement of what Villanova runs, eventually you will get dinged up. And that only relates to the NFL in the fact that they pay QB's ALOT and they don't want to trash them. Now RB's in the NFL are pretty much throw away, get one slam him into the line until he wears out, get another one.

My apologies...I confused you with this statement made by another Montana fan..As to the "injuries" to Szczur and Whitney in the last game, it looked to me like they were mostly inflicted by great tooth-jarring hits by the "big fluffy sky" champs.. Clearly he wasn't paying attention...

dudeitsaid
December 22nd, 2010, 12:33 AM
The only thing in those clips of Jones absolutely horrendous tackling by slow, soft Big Sky defenses.

Frankly talking about a guy that probably won't even play, and even if he does he won't be healthy is kind of pointless. It's just my opinion, and insulting it won't change my opinion. Inferiority complex much? Does it really matter that I'm not impressed by your running back? You shouldn't care. If Jones does play - healthy or not, but Delaware wins, does it really matter? It shouldn't.

Honestly I couldn't care less about statistics, Villanova, Matt Szczur, Bo Levi Mitchell, the soft Big Sky Conference, Taiwan Jones, his backup, your red turf, or whether I have credibility with EWU fans. The only thing that matters is winning the 7th national championship in program history.

That is funny coming from the guy who said he'd be a nonfactor in the first place. You've been talking about it, and are still talking about it. Thankfully, he doesn't need your respect. He's gotten it from everyone who voted him all-american, all Big Sky, OPOTY, and every defense he's run against.

In regards to what this post is supposed to be about, Delaware looks like the favorite from just about every angle. I don't know if the Eagles will win. But, they definitely have a chance.

BTW, everyone keeps talking about Szczur being injured. Was he playing injured before the game started? I know he was taken out a while into the 2nd half. Is that the injury being referred to? If it is, I don't know how that excuses the lack of performance he had up till that point. If he was playing with an injury sustained in the App State game, then I'm sure it played a part. He looked healthy to me in the first half. It just seemed EWU game planned effectively for him.

HenZoneNation
December 22nd, 2010, 06:13 AM

You're not wrong about their offense...there is something to be said about an offense that won an NC and came within a game of playing for another. I certainly don't want Pat taking many hits and I hold my breath everytime there's a keeper...

UncleSam
December 22nd, 2010, 07:59 AM
Delaware will win because they are the better team, on both sides of the ball.

b_f_c_99
December 22nd, 2010, 10:12 AM
My apologies...I confused you with this statement made by another Montana fan..As to the "injuries" to Szczur and Whitney in the last game, it looked to me like they were mostly inflicted by great tooth-jarring hits by the "big fluffy sky" champs.. Clearly he wasn't paying attention...

We're good henzone. :)

cowboy91
December 22nd, 2010, 10:13 AM
That is funny coming from the guy who said he'd be a nonfactor in the first place. You've been talking about it, and are still talking about it. Thankfully, he doesn't need your respect. He's gotten it from everyone who voted him all-american, all Big Sky, OPOTY, and every defense he's run against.

In regards to what this post is supposed to be about, Delaware looks like the favorite from just about every angle. I don't know if the Eagles will win. But, they definitely have a chance.

BTW, everyone keeps talking about Szczur being injured. Was he playing injured before the game started? I know he was taken out a while into the 2nd half. Is that the injury being referred to? If it is, I don't know how that excuses the lack of performance he had up till that point. If he was playing with an injury sustained in the App State game, then I'm sure it played a part. He looked healthy to me in the first half. It just seemed EWU game planned effectively for him.

Nearly every defense he's run against is still a soft Big Sky defense. All Big Sky proves what exactly? That he is great - against bad defenses. Oh, by the way, is he a top 3 finalist for the Payton Award? Since he's such an outstanding back he should be a top 3 finalist.

Szczur missed about 6 games during the year with an ankle injury and looked to be banged up in the App State game, and then suffered the concussion. Whitney on the other hand had a foot injury and numerous other injuries coming into the game, and also got banged up during the EWU game. Can't play the "what if" game, but both of Villanova's offensive stars were hurt in the game, and they turned it over 6 times and EWU still gave up 31 points to them. Whitney being injured had more to do with them losing then anything else.

b_f_c_99
December 22nd, 2010, 10:41 AM
You're not wrong about their offense...there is something to be said about an offense that won an NC and came within a game of playing for another. I certainly don't want Pat taking many hits and I hold my breath everytime there's a keeper...

Its just what I noticed watching them, and it seems that several teams from the CAA run that same sort of scheme, it's brilliant in its simplicity and design. You almost never lose yards or go down in the backfield. It has the same effect as the other forms of option football making it into more of 8 man football. The QB serves the function as the Fullback from a traditional type option plus you don't have the danger of pitching the ball around. The negative: your QB gets hit ALOT.

What I noticed in the EW game was Whintey was hobbled, but also EW had the ability to just shove the Nova O line into the backfield. And that really will be the key thing to the Delaware EW game. Both teams have good receivers QB's running backs, but if either team can put pressure with just their D-Line and not much blitzing ANY team has problems. I'm certain both QB's can shred either secondary if they get to stand around look it over for 5 seconds. But if your center gets shoved into the pocket play after play you have problems. This really should be a great game!

ALSO, since I'm not really familiar with what Delaware is running for offense now, I remember the Wing T from the lat 80's but it seems like they switched to more of a passing attack after Montana won the 1995 championship that looked alot like what MT did then. This is why I'm not really making statements about who should do what, where and why. I freely admit I don't know much about what Delaware does, I didn't get to see the game against GSU so I'm intrigued about them. I'm just stating obvious football stuff D line putting pressure by themselves ect. Post some utube links or something!

cowboy91
December 22nd, 2010, 11:22 AM
The thing about Delaware is that they generally don't blitz and are content with their back 7 playing a straight up vanilla defense. They'll probably be more than content to sit back and let Mitchell make a poor decision. They have one of the best secondaries in the country.

Delaware does nothing "exotic" defensively, and not a lot of tricks offensively. They just will out physical you with sound, disciplined, fundamental football.

We've heard week after week after week how everyone will put pressure on and rattle Devlin. Sure, there have been times where he's taken a sack, and a few breakdowns here and there, but, after 2 years I'm still waiting to see him "rattled".

b_f_c_99
December 22nd, 2010, 11:37 AM
The thing about Delaware is that they generally don't blitz and are content with their back 7 playing a straight up vanilla defense. They'll probably be more than content to sit back and let Mitchell make a poor decision. They have one of the best secondaries in the country.

Delaware does nothing "exotic" defensively, and not a lot of tricks offensively. They just will out physical you with sound, disciplined, fundamental football.

We've heard week after week after week how everyone will put pressure on and rattle Devlin. Sure, there have been times where he's taken a sack, and a few breakdowns here and there, but, after 2 years I'm still waiting to see him "rattled".

He really sounds like one of those really special players, that just mess up the other team and refuses to lose. Those guys are tough, especially when they have the ball in their hands every play. I look forward to watching him. I found a clip of the UMASS highlights, he looked very good. Nice blend of spread option, run and shoot and heck even pro style sets, will be nice to watch something with diversity.

cowboy91
December 22nd, 2010, 12:57 PM
Again, EWU guys, it's just my OPINION on Jones. You don't have to agree with me, I'm not trying to get you to do so. Just opinion.

Further, the opinion got people riled up and that was the entire point.

cowboy91
December 22nd, 2010, 12:59 PM
He really sounds like one of those really special players, that just mess up the other team and refuses to lose. Those guys are tough, especially when they have the ball in their hands every play. I look forward to watching him. I found a clip of the UMASS highlights, he looked very good. Nice blend of spread option, run and shoot and heck even pro style sets, will be nice to watch something with diversity.

He's not going to blow you away with his stats. He missed basically two entire games, and Delaware has had leads on teams so there hasn't been a need to throw the football.

A lot of comparison is made to Joe Flacco, but Devlin doesn't have the arm Flacco did. He does, however, make very solid decisions, he has good footwork, and the most important thing he has is a very very quick release.

Looking at him being a 3rd rounder.

HenZoneNation
December 22nd, 2010, 01:25 PM
He runs an offense and reads a defense better than Joe. He has a very good arm...just not a cannon Like Joe...but who does. You will see a considerable differnce between his throws and Mitchells. It's not a know on Mitchell, it's the truth. I think the stats that ought to jump out at you is the INT'S, or lack there of, and complition percentage. At this time in 07 Joe was predicted to be 4-5th round pick. I believe Pat's draft status after the all-star games and the Combine will rise from the 3rd round he's projected now. There are a lot of teams who need QB's.

cowboy91
December 22nd, 2010, 03:41 PM
Pat has looked a lot more fluid and comfortable in 2010, but here's some clips from 2009.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d4SBu8S3IFI

b_f_c_99
December 22nd, 2010, 04:52 PM
[QUOTE=cowboy91;1603637]Pat has looked a lot more fluid and comfortable in 2010, but here's some clips from 2009.

Yup, looks alot like what Montana ran with Coach Don Read that got them the 1995 National Championship. His goal was to deliver the ball to receivers that were basically converted running backs on the perimeter. Only way to stop a quality QB and receivers that do this is to get pressure without blitzing. Easier said than done. EW will have their hands full.

dudeitsaid
December 22nd, 2010, 05:05 PM
Devlin is no doubt the better QB. Mitchell has been pretty inconsistent this year (Just compare the NDSU playoff game with the Nova game). If Mitchell plays well, like he did against the Wildcats, I think it will be a good game, and Eagles MIGHT win. If Mitchell has a bad game, it's hard to see them overcoming it against Delaware. However, I've learned my lesson about counting the Eagles out. I've done it several times this year, and they just have an uncanny knack for finding a way to win. They have something intangible that isn't measured in stats. They have played some miserable looking football, yet have found a way, often in the end, to get it done. It's that intangible, never give up, fighting spirit that they have that has me refusing to count them out at this point.

cowboy91
December 22nd, 2010, 06:19 PM
Not saying the Eagles can't win, but it's obviously hard to think at this point Delaware won't. But I'm a Delaware fan and that's obviously what I'm going to think.

At the very least there's a coach and [some of the] team with national title game experience. That advantage goes to UD. That might be a pretty big intangible that's not going to show up in the stat category.

blukeys
December 22nd, 2010, 09:26 PM
Devlin will be Devlin, Efficient, mistake adverse, and accurate.

Why everyone is ignoring a really solid run game by Delaware is beyond me.

This time off gives our OL the recovery time they need. AP will be ready (Ask SDSU what that is like or GSU .)

Should UD get a lead, expect a steady diet of AP, Hays, and Jackson.

BlueHenSinfonian
December 22nd, 2010, 09:51 PM
Devlin will be Devlin, Efficient, mistake adverse, and accurate.

Why everyone is ignoring a really solid run game by Delaware is beyond me.

This time off gives our OL the recovery time they need. AP will be ready (Ask SDSU what that is like or GSU .)

Should UD get a lead, expect a steady diet of AP, Hays, and Jackson.

I agree, Devlin is great, but our run game seems to get overlooked by everyone. AP might be young, and might not have the size to power over defenders, but time and time again it's been shown that Keeler will keep calling to get him the ball, and eventually he starts finding the holes and breaking for some big yards. Hayes has started impressing me more and more as well, and with Pierce as a Freshman, and Hayes as a Sophomore, their 1 - 2 running punch is just going to improve and become a bigger part of the UD game over the next couple years.

HenZoneNation
December 23rd, 2010, 07:09 AM
Two players each from Delaware and Delaware State, including UD true freshman tailback Andrew Pierce, have been named to the Sports Network Division I-AA (FCS) All-American third team.

Pierce made third Team All-American...I'm glad he's getting some rest with the break...he looked worn down at the tail end of the regular season.

elon77
December 23rd, 2010, 08:30 AM
I'm not trying to break the train of thought on this thread, but I know there must be a few OLD Delaware fans on here and I have a question that I would like answered. Can someone tell me what the Delaware Wing T is? The high school where my youngest daughter goes to school just hired a football coach that is famous for the Delaware Wing T. Sorry to stick my nose in on this conversation, but I just know someone on here is an expert on this offense. Send the answer private if you would like and I will be out of the business at hand, a national championship. Good luck to both teams, and go Phoenix :).

Oldhen
December 23rd, 2010, 08:58 AM
Can someone tell me what the Delaware Wing T is? .

It's an option offense based on formations that include a QB, wing back, halfback, and a fullback. All are considered ball carriers, and most plays have several fakes. Much like the GSU TO, the basics include a belly series of inside handoffs to the fullback and outside options to the HB, QB, or wingback. Big on reverses and misdirection, and several basic plays have more than one handoff (inside double reverse was my favorite). Basic passing play as first designed was the 'waggle' option, where motion went one way, and the QB with the ball went the other, led by at least one pulling lineman, with several throwing options as well as running options. Biggest difference from current option offenses is the blocking schemes, which can be extremely complex, but focus on screening, pulling, and trapping. When you watched a good wing T OL, it was like ballet. You'd see OL's pulling in different directions with the misdirection fake, almost always at least one trap block based on a pull, and the defense trying to figure out where the ball was. Often used by teams that don't have the beef or speed for straight up pro or I sets, because the complexity of the blocking and use of misdirection equalized things.

elon77
December 23rd, 2010, 09:30 AM
It's an option offense based on formations that include a QB, wing back, halfback, and a fullback. All are considered ball carriers, and most plays have several fakes. Much like the GSU TO, the basics include a belly series of inside handoffs to the fullback and outside options to the HB, QB, or wingback. Big on reverses and misdirection, and several basic plays have more than one handoff (inside double reverse was my favorite). Basic passing play as first designed was the 'waggle' option, where motion went one way, and the QB with the ball went the other, led by at least one pulling lineman, with several throwing options as well as running options. Biggest difference from current option offenses is the blocking schemes, which can be extremely complex, but focus on screening, pulling, and trapping. When you watched a good wing T OL, it was like ballet. You'd see OL's pulling in different directions with the misdirection fake, almost always at least one trap block based on a pull, and the defense trying to figure out where the ball was. Often used by teams that don't have the beef or speed for straight up pro or I sets, because the complexity of the blocking and use of misdirection equalized things.

I knew there would be some old guy on here who would know the answer, and thank you. I hate the triple option, but it looks like now I could be a fan. Thanks for the reply.

blukeys
December 23rd, 2010, 11:08 AM
elon 77 there are plenty of excellent websites devoted to the Delaware Wing - T

Here is one http://www.bucksweep.com

There are sites with videos as well. Just google Delaware wing T.

b_f_c_99
December 23rd, 2010, 11:19 AM
The thing that messes up the option attacks is D Linemen just blasting into the backfield, that and you need good side to side speed and solid one on one tackling. Mostly the goal of the option stuff is to stick some 'receivers' out on the side and keep the corners and safeties occupied even though the plan isn't to throw to them. This makes it effectively 8 man football and alot of times can trap very good athletes on defense having to cover members of the band just in case.............

On a side note, in the 90's there were alot of teams running this stuff. Georgia Southern won a lot of national championships with it. But as teams got better, and they realized that every year in the playoffs you were going to see it, they started recruiting athletes and defensive schemes that pretty much snuffed it out. So teams changed to other things, spread passing attacks, run and guns ect. Lately the spread option thing Villanova runs has been very successful, but now that half the country runs it, people are starting to defend it. I think GSU's success this year is mostly because the triple option stuff is 'new' again. But if lots of teams start running it the pattern will repeat.

NC Aggie
December 23rd, 2010, 12:17 PM

Have to suppress a laugh with that statement. Normally one thinks of a playmaker with some wheels.

GannonFan
December 23rd, 2010, 03:14 PM
Have to suppress a laugh with that statement. Normally one thinks of a playmaker with some wheels.

Really? I think there are plenty of example of QB's who are considered playmakers who are so because of their arm. It kinda goes along with the position.

superman7515
December 23rd, 2010, 03:34 PM
Really? I think there are plenty of example of QB's who are considered playmakers who are so because of their arm. It kinda goes along with the position.

Clearly not on the same level, but Dan Marino rushed for 87 yards TOTAL in 17 years. Joe Montana, Troy Aikman, and Jim Kelly all averaged around 100 yards a season. Tom Brady is averaging around 66 yards a season. I don't see where a quarterback needs to run to be a playmaker.

b_f_c_99
December 23rd, 2010, 04:07 PM
Heck, I'd say if your QB is to eager to run and unless he is super talented at not getting hit. (Armanti Edwards was pretty dinged up, Michael Vick has been knocked out, you get the idea) Its an invitation for the defense to just turn him into road kill.

TwoFeathers
December 23rd, 2010, 07:50 PM
http://www.footballscoop.com/coaching-awards/2010-coaches-of-the-year/2010-div-1-aa-coordinator

1st Nationally - Scoring Defense (11.5 PPG)
4th Nationally - Opp. TD % in red zone (43%)
5th Nationally - Total Defense (277 YPG)
6th Nationally - Third down defense (29%)
6th Nationally - Turnovers Gained (31)
15th Nationally - Rushing Defense (111 YPG)

= Delaware wins

TwoFeathers
December 23rd, 2010, 07:51 PM
http://sportsnetwork.com/merge/tsnform.aspx?c=sportsnetwork&page=cfoot2/misc/TSN-DIV-1AA-POLL.htm

1st Nationally.

Top 4 is more like it.

TwoFeathers
December 23rd, 2010, 07:51 PM

= Delaware wins

TwoFeathers
December 23rd, 2010, 07:53 PM
Cowboy, did you miss the part where the FROSH BACKUP ran for over 100 against CAA Nova! Or dont you read the whole post! THATS A FACT!

Villanova D ranked #34
Delaware D is ranked #1

Very different teams.

TwoFeathers
December 23rd, 2010, 07:54 PM

Not sure if #16 and #21 run D is anything to brag about... just my opinion.

TwoFeathers
December 23rd, 2010, 07:56 PM
But things like injuries don't matter - considering you beat Villanova with their two best offensive players healthy.

And Villanova was still in it until the 4th quarter... I'd say EWU squeeked by a weakened Villanova team at home. Not a convincing win.

TwoFeathers
December 23rd, 2010, 08:02 PM

Villanova was in that game until the end. I don't think I would be pounding my chest about escaping a ridiculously beat-up Villanova team who suffered a bunch of turnovers and still scored 31 points. I mean, Whitney could barely walk, and he was still running over the EWU D. What was up with that?

TwoFeathers
December 23rd, 2010, 08:04 PM
Sounds like it with the 15% 3rd down conversions from EWU's offense.

Georgia Southern beat William & Mary - who beat Delaware. How'd that work out for Georgia Southern?

So are you saying W&M should be in the finals instead of Delaware??? I'll take it!!! ;)

Screamin_Eagle174
December 23rd, 2010, 08:52 PM
Not sure if #16 and #21 run D is anything to brag about... just my opinion.

Delaware's Run D is ranked 15th... I wasn't bragging, I was relating the strength of run-D's we've already played against and put up big yardage.

Screamin_Eagle174
December 23rd, 2010, 08:59 PM
Villanova D ranked #34
Delaware D is ranked #1

Very different teams.

Villanova Run-D ranked #7.

EDIT: and you got your numbers wrong. Delaware is the #1 ranked scoring D, but 5th total D. Nova is 34th in total D, but scoring D is ranked 19th (they dropped after we put up 41 on them).

Screamin_Eagle174
December 23rd, 2010, 09:02 PM

How many points we've allowed doesn't really matter as long as we keep getting wins. Undefeated in the playoffs this year (just like Delaware), and winners of 10 straight. This team knows how to win.

Screamin_Eagle174
December 23rd, 2010, 09:07 PM
And Villanova was still in it until the 4th quarter... I'd say EWU squeeked by a weakened Villanova team at home. Not a convincing win.

That same weakened Nova team beat Delaware in their house. xcoffeex And Szczur was pretty healthy coming into Cheney; we shut him down, then took him out of the game late.

BlueHenSinfonian
December 23rd, 2010, 09:46 PM
That same weakened Nova team beat Delaware in their house. xcoffeex And Szczur was pretty healthy coming into Cheney; we shut him down, then took him out of the game late.

The 'Nova team that played Delaware wasn't the same one that you saw in Washington. The 'Nova team that came into Newark was fairly fresh from only a 45 minute bus drive, with a home game the week before, going into one of the most bitter rivalries at the FCS level, and needing a win to make the playoffs. If 'Nova had come out against EWU like they did against us, we'd be looking at an all CAA championship game in Frisco.

cowboy91
December 23rd, 2010, 09:57 PM

He was "pretty healthy"? News to me. How about the health of the QB? How about the fact the game wasn't decided, even after 6 turnovers, until about 1 minute to play?

I guess if Taiwan Jones doesn't play or due to health is a non-factor, we can claim we "shut him down".

Sweet!

You would think people would learn that the whole "we beat the team that beat you" thing really doesn't hold much water. Again, how did that work out for Georgia Southern? They beat W&M - a team that beat Delaware - but then lost to Delaware. How about New Hampshire? A team that beat Villanova - a team that beat Delaware - but then, shockingly, LOST to Delaware.

I'm not saying EWU can't win, but Delaware has something EWU DOESN'T - National championship experience.

JBB
December 23rd, 2010, 11:02 PM
<<<<<<FOR RELEASE TO ALL INTERNET NODES>>>>>>>>>>>>

We have a couple weeks till game time. Its going to be fun studying, updating and presenting the quantitative and qualitative analysis of this game.

http://bisonsports.net/3.3.07/viewtopic.php?f=1&p=26856#p26856
>>>>>>>>cut and past as necessary publishing rights granted>>>>>>>>>

dudeitsaid
December 24th, 2010, 12:13 AM
Hey Cowboy, not that this will change your opinion...But Phil Steele not only picked Taiwan Jones as a 1st team All American, but actually picked him as the Offensive POY for all of FCS.

Like you say, it's your opinion. It's just nice to see it's an opinion that is going against a serious wave of more educated understanding.

BTW, since EWU's win over Villanova obviously isn't legit because the Nova team we played wasn't the same one that played Delaware or App, IF EWU does win (which will require the best FB Eastern has played all year IMO) will you and others rob the Eagles of the victory in your minds by making excuses for Delaware? Maybe Eastern fans should make excuses for why the score wasn't higher. For example, if our best offensive weapon was playing, we would have won by four scores. Woe are we, because we did not field our best team, and were at a disadvantage. Oh wait...I guess excuses only belong to the mighty CAA when they lose to anyone out of their conference. Because, logically, nobody is better than a CAA team but another CAA team.

Home field is the advantage Eastern won fair and square. The adversity Villanova faced for not getting HF themselves is on them. It's part of the game. There is no doubt there are a multitude of factors that come into every game, such as the benefits Nova had of being fresh, close to home, in a must win situation, against a rival, etc. when they played Delaware, but that's the game. I guess the regular season is important, and can come back to haunt teams in the post season. All in all, there will never be a situation where all things are equal. That's why there are winners and losers, and why it's so exciting to watch.

Anyways, you all have a very merry Christmas!!! Can't wait for Jan 7!

caribbeanhen
December 24th, 2010, 08:31 AM
You EWU/West coast guys are hard to pick a fight withxlolx, to darn rational, no bravado and way to laid back to be any fun for the Delaware/CAA fans leading up to game day..

cowboy91
December 24th, 2010, 12:58 PM
Hey Cowboy, not that this will change your opinion...But Phil Steele not only picked Taiwan Jones as a 1st team All American, but actually picked him as the Offensive POY for all of FCS.

Like you say, it's your opinion. It's just nice to see it's an opinion that is going against a serious wave of more educated understanding.

BTW, since EWU's win over Villanova obviously isn't legit because the Nova team we played wasn't the same one that played Delaware or App, IF EWU does win (which will require the best FB Eastern has played all year IMO) will you and others rob the Eagles of the victory in your minds by making excuses for Delaware? Maybe Eastern fans should make excuses for why the score wasn't higher. For example, if our best offensive weapon was playing, we would have won by four scores. Woe are we, because we did not field our best team, and were at a disadvantage. Oh wait...I guess excuses only belong to the mighty CAA when they lose to anyone out of their conference. Because, logically, nobody is better than a CAA team but another CAA team.

Home field is the advantage Eastern won fair and square. The adversity Villanova faced for not getting HF themselves is on them. It's part of the game. There is no doubt there are a multitude of factors that come into every game, such as the benefits Nova had of being fresh, close to home, in a must win situation, against a rival, etc. when they played Delaware, but that's the game. I guess the regular season is important, and can come back to haunt teams in the post season. All in all, there will never be a situation where all things are equal. That's why there are winners and losers, and why it's so exciting to watch.

Anyways, you all have a very merry Christmas!!! Can't wait for Jan 7!

Who is Phil Steele? Again, it's opinion and nothing more.

I'm happy EWU is in the title game, because I think (hope) it's an easier path to the title for Delaware.

I'm just saying that just because you beat Villanova (a team that did beat Delaware - before it traveled and had their QB hurt to the point of barely being able to walk - not EWU's problem) it doesn't mean you'll beat Delaware. That is illogical, but it's just opinion on your part and you're entitled to your opinion.

The fact that Villanova had injuries doesn't take away EWU's win, the same way a Delaware title wouldn't be taken away if Jones is out on the 7th.

If EWU fans because they beat Villanova, and therefore will automatically beat Delaware - they're in for a rude awakening.

ngineer
December 24th, 2010, 02:31 PM
I'm picking Delaware by 10. They are a solid team and do not rely on the 'big play', although they have enough weapons to make them. As with all games, the team that makes the least mistakes usually wins and UD has shown to be a pretty consistent team, especially with their QB. EWU cetainly has some playmakers--especially at QB and RB, but overall, I see a better balanced team as Delaware. EWU will make it interesting, but if they can pull it off , I call it an upset.

Delaware 34
Eastern Washington 24

Red & Black
December 24th, 2010, 07:44 PM

The only time EWU ever trailed in that game was after Nova returned the opening kick off. After that the closest Nova ever got was 3. Not sure how we had no business winning that game.

Red & Black
December 24th, 2010, 07:48 PM
If EWU fans because they beat Villanova, and therefore will automatically beat Delaware - they're in for a rude awakening.

And so are you if you think (judging from your posts) that EWU is just going to roll over. xnodx

cowboy91
December 24th, 2010, 08:23 PM
And so are you if you think (judging from your posts) that EWU is just going to roll over. xnodx

Roll over? No. Beaten into submission? Hopefully so (as you can understand).

Proud Griz Man
December 25th, 2010, 08:01 PM
CAA folks are regularly accused of being arrogant.

http://t0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcThf6ezumziaJo2AFvh6l19pHs9UHRa-zTJIo40tQ-EdIH6_Xp6

Arrogant, and misunderstood.

cowboy91
December 25th, 2010, 08:28 PM
Would never happen but would love to see a home-home series with Montana.

Ivytalk
December 25th, 2010, 08:45 PM
Because they're simply better!xnodxxthumbsupxxbowxxhurrayxxxmasx

clawman
December 27th, 2010, 04:46 PM

I'm happy EWU is in the title game, because I think (hope) it's an easier path to the title for Delaware.

I'm just saying that just because you beat Villanova (a team that did beat Delaware - before it traveled and had their QB hurt to the point of barely being able to walk - not EWU's problem) it doesn't mean you'll beat Delaware. That is illogical, but it's just opinion on your part and you're entitled to your opinion.

The fact that Villanova had injuries doesn't take away EWU's win, the same way a Delaware title wouldn't be taken away if Jones is out on the 7th.

LOL, this is the same kind of bravado we heard from the NDSU and NOVA fans

cowboy91
December 28th, 2010, 03:21 AM
Not entirely sure how it's "bravado" by saying that Delaware is a different team than Villanova.

Henny
December 28th, 2010, 06:33 PM
Looking forward to this matchup. Yes EWU beat Villanova, just not sure the comparison between a well rested UD team against a road weary 'nova team applies. Rest assured, UD WILL try to establish the run, the defense WILL bend and KC will make the most CONSERVATIVE decisions possible.

Best of luck Red Eagles...

Obzerver
December 28th, 2010, 07:17 PM
I'm not sure Villanova was a road weary team, I really don't know, guess if you asked the players they may admit they were a road weary team or perhaps they wouldn't. What I do know is that Villanova is/was a seasoned team with seasoned vets that have been playoff tested. Heck, Villanova game into the EWU game as the defending National Champions...

cowboy91
December 28th, 2010, 10:17 PM
I would assume that having to fly to Texas, then fly home to Villanova, then to Boone NC, then back to Villanova, then out to Cheney - 9000 miles in total eventually caught up with them.

All I know is that Delaware has a few things on their side.

1) Jones is either going to be out, or under 100% as he has not played in about 5 weeks.
2) Delaware has the experience from 2007 under their belt. EWU does not have the same playoff experience.
3) I think most people would take Pat Devlin over Bo Levin Mitchell.
4) Stronger level of competition. - opinion.
5) Delaware has a considerably better defense. Can EWU stop Delaware? I like Delaware's chances to at least contain EWU's offense.

VUCats02
December 30th, 2010, 12:52 PM
It's going to be a close game for sure. You can look at matchups from every position all you want. All I know is that I'd take Devlin over any other FCS QB, and for that reason I'll give Delaware the edge. If Delaware doesn't have the best FCS QB, I'd pick EWU, but Devlin is just too tough to stop, especially in beautiful Texas weather. By the way, I picked EWU to beat Nova so this is in no way a CAA homer pick.

Screamin_Eagle174
December 30th, 2010, 01:02 PM
I would assume that having to fly to Texas, then fly home to Villanova, then to Boone NC, then back to Villanova, then out to Cheney - 9000 miles in total eventually caught up with them.

All I know is that Delaware has a few things on their side.

1) Jones is either going to be out, or under 100% as he has not played in about 5 weeks.
2) Delaware has the experience from 2007 under their belt. EWU does not have the same playoff experience.
3) I think most people would take Pat Devlin over Bo Levin Mitchell.
4) Stronger level of competition. - opinion.
5) Delaware has a considerably better defense. Can EWU stop Delaware? I like Delaware's chances to at least contain EWU's offense.

2) The experience of getting to the title game and getting crushed. Our players don't have that stigma, and nor will they. Advantage EWU.

Ud1Hens
December 30th, 2010, 01:24 PM
Better to have love and lost than to never have loved at all...I would rather have my players have been in the game and lost which only has them more focused than experiencing everything for a first time. In 2007, UD had just beaten the #1 and #4 teams in the nation and it was almost a relief to be at the final stage. Getting to the game was the true victory. Now, since they have been there, it's all business for the coaching staff and players that return.

bluehenbillk
December 30th, 2010, 02:28 PM
I've gone over this game a lot in the last 2 weeks, harder game to get a hold of than the GSU game was where you knew that a one-dimensional offense just wasn't going to beat Delaware. EWU is tougher, the toughest playoff test we've had to date, because they've shown they can both run & pass the ball well, it's not like you can say "just take this away" and you win. Even with Taiwan out EWU proved vs 'Nova they can run the ball. EWU likes to go more vertical than any team UD has face this year, that I think is a good thing for UD because it goes to the best part of UD's defense which is the secondary, which is amazingly quick. Teams that have had any success throwing against UD have thrown relatively shorter crossing patterns or dead spots underneath in zone. Find too many of them & UD adjusts with more man coverage. Against VU, EWU really did a good job of shutting down VU's run game, even the Szczur wildcat & forced them to throw which isn't their (VU's) game. UD is different that they can hury you in any way - 2 good young backs & maybe the best QB in FCS. UD faced better DL's in UNH & GSU than they will in EWU and did a great job in terms of pass protection. It's a pick your poison approach.

Injuries with the exception of EWU's star RB don't factor in much with the 3-week layoff. I see EWU having more offensive success against UD than other playoff opponents because they have more & better weapons than most teams. Mitchell can be a really good QB but apparently has consistency issues. UD doesn't rack up a lot of sacks but certainly does pressure QB's quite a bit. Not having anyone open to throw to adds to that. EWU will get some points against the vaunted UD defense but in the end I think UD's offensive battle vs the EWU defense will prevail.

Final Score Pick: Delaware 30 - E Washington 20

Screamin_Eagle174
December 30th, 2010, 03:07 PM
I've gone over this game a lot in the last 2 weeks, harder game to get a hold of than the GSU game was where you knew that a one-dimensional offense just wasn't going to beat Delaware. EWU is tougher, the toughest playoff test we've had to date, because they've shown they can both run & pass the ball well, it's not like you can say "just take this away" and you win. Even with Taiwan out EWU proved vs 'Nova they can run the ball. EWU likes to go more vertical than any team UD has face this year, that I think is a good thing for UD because it goes to the best part of UD's defense which is the secondary, which is amazingly quick. Teams that have had any success throwing against UD have thrown relatively shorter crossing patterns or dead spots underneath in zone. Find too many of them & UD adjusts with more man coverage. Against VU, EWU really did a good job of shutting down VU's run game, even the Szczur wildcat & forced them to throw which isn't their (VU's) game. UD is different that they can hury you in any way - 2 good young backs & maybe the best QB in FCS. UD faced better DL's in UNH & GSU than they will in EWU and did a great job in terms of pass protection. It's a pick your poison approach.

Injuries with the exception of EWU's star RB don't factor in much with the 3-week layoff. I see EWU having more offensive success against UD than other playoff opponents because they have more & better weapons than most teams. Mitchell can be a really good QB but apparently has consistency issues. UD doesn't rack up a lot of sacks but certainly does pressure QB's quite a bit. Not having anyone open to throw to adds to that. EWU will get some points against the vaunted UD defense but in the end I think UD's offensive battle vs the EWU defense will prevail.

Final Score Pick: Delaware 30 - E Washington 20

I don't disagree with most of your assessment, but I think you're in for a surprise regarding our D-Line. Nova supposedly has one of the best if not the best O-line in FCS this year, and Whitney was running for his life all game long. Even with double-teams, Renard Williams hasn't really been stopped in the playoffs... he's quick off the line, powers through his man, and gets after the QB. I almost think the most intriguing matchup will be EWU's D against Devlin's passing game. We may give up a lot of yards, but when it comes down to it we create turnovers and limit TDs in the redzone (if I'm not mistaken, EWU is in the top 5 or 10 in the nation in red zone D), and we lead the nation with 25 INTs, led by SS Matt Johnson with 5.

bluehenbillk
December 30th, 2010, 03:30 PM
I don't disagree with most of your assessment, but I think you're in for a surprise regarding our D-Line. Nova supposedly has one of the best if not the best O-line in FCS this year, and Whitney was running for his life all game long. Even with double-teams, Renard Williams hasn't really been stopped in the playoffs... he's quick off the line, powers through his man, and gets after the QB. I almost think the most intriguing matchup will be EWU's D against Devlin's passing game. We may give up a lot of yards, but when it comes down to it we create turnovers and limit TDs in the redzone (if I'm not mistaken, EWU is in the top 5 or 10 in the nation in red zone D), and we lead the nation with 25 INTs, led by SS Matt Johnson with 5.

Well I'll agree red-zone defense (3 pts vs 7 pts) is important. In regards to turnovers, UD doesn't do it often but if/when they do it's likely a fumble. Devlin has thrown a total of 2 picks in the 12+ games he's played this year. One ball was tipped & the other was a non-call defensive PI. Two of the things he does very well is make decisions & throws an accurate ball. VU has a great OL but even their few fans will tell you they're not a dropback pass team, which is what EWU reduced them to, at least more than they wanted to do.

cowboy91
December 30th, 2010, 11:15 PM
2) The experience of getting to the title game and getting crushed. Our players don't have that stigma, and nor will they. Advantage EWU.

That of course makes them hungrier for redemption. Advantage Delaware.

Tubby Raymond
December 31st, 2010, 01:33 PM
I'm not sure Villanova was a road weary team, I really don't know.
Really, you don't know? Are you playing dumb or does the obvious always escape you?

Think 9000 miles of traveling in that short time frame is a neutral variable?

Screamin_Eagle174
December 31st, 2010, 04:00 PM
Really, you don't know? Are you playing dumb or does the obvious always escape you?

Think 9000 miles of traveling in that short time frame is a neutral variable?

Apparently it was to CAA fans when Montana did the same thing back in 2008, or when any West-coast team has to travel cross-country to the East-coast. xcoffeex

cowboy91
December 31st, 2010, 04:12 PM
Of course Montana did it twice - not three times - after four consecutive home games.

Reign of Terrier
December 31st, 2010, 04:19 PM
Of course Montana did it twice - not three times - after four consecutive home games.

in '08 they had to go to James Madison in the semis

jmufan999
December 31st, 2010, 09:26 PM
in '08 they had to go to James Madison in the semis

he meant the last two games of the regular season and the first two in the playoffs in Missoula. he was pointing out that they obviously weren't "road weary".

Houndawg
January 2nd, 2011, 06:06 AM
Well I'll agree red-zone defense (3 pts vs 7 pts) is important. In regards to turnovers, UD doesn't do it often but if/when they do it's likely a fumble. Devlin has thrown a total of 2 picks in the 12+ games he's played this year. One ball was tipped & the other was a non-call defensive PI. Two of the things he does very well is make decisions & throws an accurate ball. VU has a great OL but even their few fans will tell you they're not a dropback pass team, which is what EWU reduced them to, at least more than they wanted to do.

xnonox If their o line was that great they wouldn't have been reduced to a drop back pass team.

On paper it looks like the Hens with out much strain, but on paper EWU shouldn't have made it this far. The long layoff will be a negative for everybody.

cowboy91
January 2nd, 2011, 01:23 PM
Not sure if Delaware can handle that "impressive" (Kent Schmidt) 86th ranked defense of EWU.

Screamin_Eagle174
January 2nd, 2011, 02:30 PM
Not sure if Delaware can handle that "impressive" (Kent Schmidt) 86th ranked defense of EWU.

Eastern Washington is tied for second in the 20-team playoff field in scoring offense at 38.7 points per game. Delaware is fifth at 28.3.

Eastern Washington leads the 20-team field in total defense with an average of 271.3 yards per game. Delaware is fourth at 312.7

Obzerver
January 2nd, 2011, 06:03 PM
Hey Tubby you mentioned, Originally Posted by Obzerver

This is what's dumb...pulling up a quote on someones post and changing it(by putting a period instead of leaving the comma)and not putting up the whole quote which was questioning whether the players from Villanova would say the reason they lost was due to travel(not sure they'd use that as an excuse). This is what I said fyi..."I'm not sure Villanova was a road weary team, I really don't know, guess if you asked the players they may admit they were a road weary team or perhaps they wouldn't. What I do know is that Villanova is/was a seasoned team with seasoned vets that have been playoff tested. Heck, Villanova game into the EWU game as the defending National Champions..."

cowboy91
January 2nd, 2011, 06:57 PM
Eastern Washington is tied for second in the 20-team playoff field in scoring offense at 38.7 points per game. Delaware is fifth at 28.3.

Eastern Washington leads the 20-team field in total defense with an average of 271.3 yards per game. Delaware is fourth at 312.7

That same 20 team field "has" to have teams from the Big South, Patriot, and Northeast Conference, of course.

Keep grasping for straws.

Tubby Raymond
January 2nd, 2011, 08:39 PM

This is what's dumb...pulling up a quote on someones post and changing it(by putting a period instead of leaving the comma)and not putting up the whole quote which was questioning whether the players from Villanova would say the reason they lost was due to travel(not sure they'd use that as an excuse). This is what I said fyi..."I'm not sure Villanova was a road weary team, I really don't know, guess if you asked the players they may admit they were a road weary team or perhaps they wouldn't. What I do know is that Villanova is/was a seasoned team with seasoned vets that have been playoff tested. Heck, Villanova game into the EWU game as the defending National Champions..."

How could you not be sure? 9000 miles traveled is piece of pie right?xnottalkingx

Team wouldn't admit it but that doesn't mean it wouldn't be true.

Hope the other EWU fans are bit sharper

bulldog
January 2nd, 2011, 08:45 PM
Delaware has not only survived, but thrived, in the gauntlet called the CAA, which is the undisputed #1 conference in FCS. The Big Sky is rated #4, and there is a HUGE difference in between. Playing a banged-up, travel-weary 'Nova (#4 CAA finisher) on your home "tomato patch" is just not the same as what you will see Friday night.

Delaware has an awesome D, an early-round draft pick under center (ranked in the top five QBs by many pundits), a very capable O line, and a true frosh RB who can light it up if you don't key on him, and if you do, look out overhead. I think Pierce could have a huge game.

If turnovers are even, I will be surprised if Delaware doesn't win by 14+. No disrespect to EWU intended. As someone mentioned earlier, the CAA's EIGHTH place team beat #12 Virginia Tech, the ACC champ, who is playing #4 Stanford in the Orange Bowl tomorrow night.

So you can talk about Singapore Jones and this and that all you want, but the bottom line is EWU is where it is because they have had a home-field run because they play in a weak conference (compared to the CAA).

Go Chickens! Take care of the ball and the golden egg (pun intended) is yours. We may be mortal enemies September through November, but we're brothers today. Bring it home!

BlueHenSinfonian
January 2nd, 2011, 09:18 PM

During the EWU/'Nova game one of the announcers on ESPN made the comment that due to the travel schedule and exams 'Nova had only been able to practice for one day that week, and that some of the key players had taken exams either the day of or the day before the game. 'Nova had playoff and travel experience coming into the game, but I doubt anyone could seriously argue that the amount of travel 'Nova had been subjected to, combined with their exam schedule and lack of practice time, didn't hurt their play on the field during that game.

SonuvaHenx2
January 2nd, 2011, 09:41 PM
During the EWU/'Nova game one of the announcers on ESPN made the comment that due to the travel schedule and exams 'Nova had only been able to practice for one day that week, and that some of the key players had taken exams either the day of or the day before the game. 'Nova had playoff and travel experience coming into the game, but I doubt anyone could seriously argue that the amount of travel 'Nova had been subjected to, combined with their exam schedule and lack of practice time, didn't hurt their play on the field during that game.

Agreed, but it is what it is. EWU won. The reasons don't matter. 'Nova has the excuse that they were tired. EWU could be in their position and claiming that Jones would have made the difference. That game is over. EWU is playing in the championship game.

Also, what does the 'Nova exam schedule have to do with UD having a chance at winning the championship game? I was under the impression that was what this thread was about...

[/Threadjacking]

BlueHenSinfonian
January 2nd, 2011, 09:54 PM
Agreed, but it is what it is. EWU won. The reasons don't matter. 'Nova has the excuse that they were tired. EWU could be in their position and claiming that Jones would have made the difference. That game is over. EWU is playing in the championship game.

Also, what does the 'Nova exam schedule have to do with UD having a chance at winning the championship game? I was under the impression that was what this thread was about...

[/Threadjacking]

Just that anyone trying to extrapolate UD's potential performance vs. EWU based on 'Nova as a common opponent is going to be in for a big surprise.

dudeitsaid
January 3rd, 2011, 12:44 AM
Sounds like the thought that EWU will win Delaware because they beat Nova is thrown around by a lot more CAA people than EWU people. I haven't heard much of that from my end. If people are making that assertion, it has about as much validity as people saying Delaware will win because EWU plays in a weak conference (which is absolute baloney. It was ranked in the top 3 most of the season, often at number 1. And of course, the people who put together any type of ranking system of that type are all-knowing, and that's why the same conference was number 1 the whole season, right?)

The way people talk about the CAA, the worst team from that conference on their worst day would beat the best team from any other conference on their best day. Based on the stats, Szczur being back, seeing them on film, I was sure the Wildcats would roll over the Eagles, and repeat as National Champs. But that didn't happen. There were lots of reasons for that. The Eagles had more advantages than Nova, and they used them. That's the benefit of being a seed. No doubt, Delaware experienced similar advantages because they got to play all of their playoff games at home. On the neutral site, many of the advantages for either team will be neutralized. Not sure what disadvantages Delaware is facing, but EWU not having their best offensive weapon at 100% if at all is a huge factor. If TJ was playing, I put the chances of EWU winning at 40%. Without him, 20%. But I certainly don't count them out. They found a way to beat Nova. Nova didn't just lay down. They got beat.

EWU can win if Mitchell has a game like he did against Nova, the running game is established, and our defensive stars continue to disrupt the way they have. I don't care how many yards a team gets against the Eagle D. They just step up and make things happen when they have to. Go Eagles!

bulldog
January 3rd, 2011, 01:38 AM
Nova didn't just lay down. They got beat.

Yeah, Nova has had this terrible problem for a while now - they play in the CAA.... and get the crap beat out of them week in and week out by other CAA teams and wind up barely making the "at large" field with a string of away playoff games, while teams like EWU cruise to a "home field throughout" playoff schedule because they have been playing the University of Marshmallow all season.

cowboy91
January 3rd, 2011, 02:48 AM
Sounds like the thought that EWU will win Delaware because they beat Nova is thrown around by a lot more CAA people than EWU people. I haven't heard much of that from my end. If people are making that assertion, it has about as much validity as people saying Delaware will win because EWU plays in a weak conference (which is absolute baloney. It was ranked in the top 3 most of the season, often at number 1. And of course, the people who put together any type of ranking system of that type are all-knowing, and that's why the same conference was number 1 the whole season, right?)

The way people talk about the CAA, the worst team from that conference on their worst day would beat the best team from any other conference on their best day. Based on the stats, Szczur being back, seeing them on film, I was sure the Wildcats would roll over the Eagles, and repeat as National Champs. But that didn't happen. There were lots of reasons for that. The Eagles had more advantages than Nova, and they used them. That's the benefit of being a seed. No doubt, Delaware experienced similar advantages because they got to play all of their playoff games at home. On the neutral site, many of the advantages for either team will be neutralized. Not sure what disadvantages Delaware is facing, but EWU not having their best offensive weapon at 100% if at all is a huge factor. If TJ was playing, I put the chances of EWU winning at 40%. Without him, 20%. But I certainly don't count them out. They found a way to beat Nova. Nova didn't just lay down. They got beat.

EWU can win if Mitchell has a game like he did against Nova, the running game is established, and our defensive stars continue to disrupt the way they have. I don't care how many yards a team gets against the Eagle D. They just step up and make things happen when they have to. Go Eagles!

Yet with Whitney (the QB) banged up and 6 turnovers, EWU still didn't have the game won until the last minute. That sure is getting "beat" [sic] and "impressive".

If anything you should be thanking the CAA, Stephen F. Austin, and Appalachian State for softening Villanova up for you.

srgrizizen
January 3rd, 2011, 02:28 PM
I got to thinking the other day about the claim that they don't play defense in the Big Sky. Instead of dismissing it, I decided to investigate it by interviewing a Big Sky coach. Here's a summary of what I found, with the source left anonymous for obvious reasons.

SG: Coach, is it true that you don't play defense in the Big Sky?

Coach: Well, yes it is, in a way. I mean, we send 11 guys out on the field when the other team has the ball, but you really couldn't say they play defense.

SG: I don't understand. Aren't they recruited and coached to play defense?

Coach: No, when the other team is on offense, we use only walk ons. Some of them have played a little H.S. ball, but we just let them play wherever and however they like. It's all on a voluntary basis.

SG: Why would you do that?

Coach: Well, it's partly philosophical, but there are also financial concerns. This is a poor conference, and we save a ton of money by not having a single position coach for defense. Furthermore we can concentrate all of our energy and recruiting on the offensive side of the ball.

SG: Do recruits find that attractive?.

Coach: Oh yeah. I mean, now and then we'll look at a fantastic athlete who has played his whole career on defense, and we have to tell him that if he plays for us, he'll have to switch to the offensive side. Sometimes they object, but we can usually bring them around. And when you take a recruit like Taiwan Jones, for example, all you have to do is ask him: "Would you like to play for us where you'll put up unheard of numbers and barely get touched or go play in some league where they'll knock the snot out of you?"

SG: But how can you win any games?

Coach: You have to remember that everybody in the league follows the same philosophy, so we do have a little trouble with out of conference games. But most of the time we're running up the score on each other. You know, basketball on grass. The fans love it.

SG: But what if somebody in the league started to actually play real defense?

Coach: Well, that actually happened a few years back with Boise State, so we had to ask them to move up out of the conference.

SG: OK, coach. I see now. I guess that's also why you try to play as many patsies as possible on your out-of-conference schedule.

Coach: You got it.

cowboy91
January 3rd, 2011, 02:50 PM
I guess you guys are right, you all play wonderful defense as the numbers would suggest. Even though it suggests the exact opposite.

I'm clearly convinced now that they play defense in the Big Sky.

dudeitsaid
January 4th, 2011, 02:31 PM
Even though EWU are the obvious underdogs in this game, I actually do think they will rise up and be the statistical anomaly this game. They will do what they've been doing all season, and will fulfill the unlikely. Question is, if they win, will all the CAA elitists give them their due? Or will they continue to make excuses for the performance of their teams.

As far as I can tell, Nova wasn't the only team to lose in the playoffs to a non CAA team. William and Mary got handled against Georgia Southern. So touted was that win, many people expected GSU to take the whole thing. Delaware is the team that is left in the CAA, one of two that made it to the semi's, which is quite an accomplishment for the conference. CAA has a lot of great teams. Maybe even more than the other conferences. But ultimately, every team stands on it's own merits. GSU was a dang good team. And Delaware game planned, and executed very well against them. Delaware deserves to be in the NC. They've played a great season, losing only to two conference opponents who were both playoff teams. (EWU's losses were to bowl team Nevada, and 4 seed MSU, not bad losses either).

I don't think anyone is trying to take away Delaware's due. But EWU is in this game for a reason. They won games. Whatever played a factor in those wins, such as tired teams, weak defenses, whatever the haters want to claim, fact is they are there. And anything can happen. If they lose, I'm still pumped. They've never made it this far. I'll be disappointed if they lose. But it's not like they are the heavy favorites. I'd say it will be a heck of a lot more disappointing to the Hens fans if Delaware loses, because they expect them to walk all over the Eagles. What's awesome is that Eastern has made a habit this season of doing the unexpected. So, though I admit their chances are slim, I think those slim chances are going to come out as a victory for the Eagles. Of course, if they do, I'm sure it will only be because some key player gets injured, or the coach has the flue, or the officials take the game away. Cause I'm sure all things being equal, a CAA team would never lose to a non-CAA team. Whatever. I'm just glad the conversation is even taking place. Go Eagles!

cowboy91
January 4th, 2011, 02:37 PM
If they win, sure. If they keep it close, sure. It's no small thing to make it to the national championship game.

dudeitsaid
January 4th, 2011, 10:23 PM
That's how I felt about the Nova game. As an Eagle fan, just want to see them play well on the national stage. I'd much rather see a close, intense, emotional game than a blowout either way. The Nova game was one of the most exciting EWU games I've gone to.

UD77
January 5th, 2011, 08:48 AM
Even though EWU are the obvious underdogs in this game, I actually do think they will rise up and be the statistical anomaly this game. They will do what they've been doing all season, and will fulfill the unlikely. Question is, if they win, will all the CAA elitists give them their due? Or will they continue to make excuses for the performance of their teams.

As far as I can tell, Nova wasn't the only team to lose in the playoffs to a non CAA team. William and Mary got handled against Georgia Southern. So touted was that win, many people expected GSU to take the whole thing. Delaware is the team that is left in the CAA, one of two that made it to the semi's, which is quite an accomplishment for the conference. CAA has a lot of great teams. Maybe even more than the other conferences. But ultimately, every team stands on it's own merits. GSU was a dang good team. And Delaware game planned, and executed very well against them. Delaware deserves to be in the NC. They've played a great season, losing only to two conference opponents who were both playoff teams. (EWU's losses were to bowl team Nevada, and 4 seed MSU, not bad losses either).

I don't think anyone is trying to take away Delaware's due. But EWU is in this game for a reason. They won games. Whatever played a factor in those wins, such as tired teams, weak defenses, whatever the haters want to claim, fact is they are there. And anything can happen. If they lose, I'm still pumped. They've never made it this far. I'll be disappointed if they lose. But it's not like they are the heavy favorites. I'd say it will be a heck of a lot more disappointing to the Hens fans if Delaware loses, because they expect them to walk all over the Eagles. What's awesome is that Eastern has made a habit this season of doing the unexpected. So, though I admit their chances are slim, I think those slim chances are going to come out as a victory for the Eagles. Of course, if they do, I'm sure it will only be because some key player gets injured, or the coach has the flue, or the officials take the game away. Cause I'm sure all things being equal, a CAA team would never lose to a non-CAA team. Whatever. I'm just glad the conversation is even taking place. Go Eagles!

Very good comments. I think UD will win this game. Why - because I hope they will. All the stats are nice but they don't really mean a thing. EWU had all home games in the play-offs UD had all home games in the play-offs, both should be rested and ready to go. Both teams seem to be very balanced so I don't think you can count on shuting down anyone part of the offense. I really don't know what to expect from EWS. It is a shame that your best player may not be able to play. I think UD pretty much has all of our players ready to go.

Can't wait until Friday so all the stats this and stats that will stop. Of course there will most likely be the comment about how one team "gave" the game away because of turn-overs (such as the Nova / EWU game and the UD / GSU game). At least we are not TCU looking through the window at the party and not being invited in.

HenZoneNation
January 5th, 2011, 11:58 AM
I got to thinking the other day about the claim that they don't play defense in the Big Sky. Instead of dismissing it, I decided to investigate it by interviewing a Big Sky coach. Here's a summary of what I found, with the source left anonymous for obvious reasons.

SG: Coach, is it true that you don't play defense in the Big Sky?

Coach: Well, yes it is, in a way. I mean, we send 11 guys out on the field when the other team has the ball, but you really couldn't say they play defense.

SG: I don't understand. Aren't they recruited and coached to play defense?

Coach: No, when the other team is on offense, we use only walk ons. Some of them have played a little H.S. ball, but we just let them play wherever and however they like. It's all on a voluntary basis.

SG: Why would you do that?

Coach: Well, it's partly philosophical, but there are also financial concerns. This is a poor conference, and we save a ton of money by not having a single position coach for defense. Furthermore we can concentrate all of our energy and recruiting on the offensive side of the ball.

SG: Do recruits find that attractive?.

Coach: Oh yeah. I mean, now and then we'll look at a fantastic athlete who has played his whole career on defense, and we have to tell him that if he plays for us, he'll have to switch to the offensive side. Sometimes they object, but we can usually bring them around. And when you take a recruit like Taiwan Jones, for example, all you have to do is ask him: "Would you like to play for us where you'll put up unheard of numbers and barely get touched or go play in some league where they'll knock the snot out of you?"

SG: But how can you win any games?

Coach: You have to remember that everybody in the league follows the same philosophy, so we do have a little trouble with out of conference games. But most of the time we're running up the score on each other. You know, basketball on grass. The fans love it.

SG: But what if somebody in the league started to actually play real defense?

Coach: Well, that actually happened a few years back with Boise State, so we had to ask them to move up out of the conference.

SG: OK, coach. I see now. I guess that's also why you try to play as many patsies as possible on your out-of-conference schedule.

Coach: You got it.

I get you're point...I just think if you're gonna be funny...make sure it's funny...maybe hire a comedian or someone to check it? Nice attempt.

I think Big Sky members are very sensitive about this topic and focus on just the CAA fans who slam them. I've read many posts by many CAA fans that think this game will be a great one. I think EWU is a great team...I'm nervous...I think UD will win for three reasons...none of which has anything to do with East Coast Bias or hating on the Big Sky:
1) EWU biggest strength now that Jones is done is their QB and under most circumstances their QB would be better than the other team's...In this case he isn't. Pat Devlin is the best FCS QB in the Nation. People can poke fun and yell all they want about that statement...it's true.
2) We have the BEST defense in the FCS. I don't think anybody can argue that. EWU coach called it correct when he said that they are going against the best secondary he's seen all year. Our defense takes a lot of pressure off the the Offense to put up points right away.
3) We have 8-10 guys who've been to an NC and felt what the pressure is like...and more importantly how it felt to lose in an NC. They are hungry, mean, and fast.

Looking forward to Friday.

dudeitsaid
January 6th, 2011, 12:56 AM
Hey Cowboy,

Not that I'm trying to keep this drum beating that hasn't for a while. Just thought this quote from the HC of Delaware was pretty telling. Dang, I wish Jones was playing in this game to see how he would do against such an outstanding defense. It would definitely have been one of his toughest challenges. Regardless, see below from The Sports Network website.

"Their starter, (Jones), is just a different creature," said Keeler. "I mean he is the best running back in the country, bar none. But I thought the freshman came in and did a really nice job against Villanova. It's not like they aren't gonna lose something, because, again, (Jones) was different, but if the freshman plays like he played against Villanova, then their running game will be fine."

Keeper
January 6th, 2011, 01:15 AM
Hey Cowboy,

Not that I'm trying to keep this drum beating that hasn't for a while. Just thought this quote from the HC of Delaware was pretty telling. Dang, I wish Jones was playing in this game to see how he would do against such an outstanding defense. It would definitely have been one of his toughest challenges. Regardless, see below from The Sports Network website.

"Their starter, (Jones), is just a different creature," said Keeler. "I mean he is the best running back in the country, bar none. But I thought the freshman came in and did a really nice job against Villanova. It's not like they aren't gonna lose something, because, again, (Jones) was different, but if the freshman plays like he played against Villanova, then their running game will be fine."

a huge IF indeed

Bo better bring it!

cowboy91
January 6th, 2011, 02:28 AM
Hey Cowboy,

Do you think he would say anything but that? Even if he thought he couldn't start at Delaware he wouldn't say it.

Screamin_Eagle174
January 6th, 2011, 03:30 AM
a huge IF indeed

Bo better bring it!

The thing is, in the two games BLM has known he was going to be without the service of TJ, he has thrown for 629 yards, 8 touchdowns, 1 pick, and has a 68% completion percentage. xnodx

Oldhen
January 6th, 2011, 04:24 AM
The thing is, in the two games BLM has known he was going to be without the service of TJ, he has thrown for 629 yards, 8 touchdowns, 1 pick, and has a 68% completion percentage.

If there are two keys for EWU, the first is going to be getting UD off the field on third down, and EWU will need to modify their scheme to do that. They play to keep everything in front of them, they will not get off the field enough. The second key is Mitchell's play. He's going against a very good defense, and an excellent secondary. Forget about the last game. Everybody throws on 'Nova, their secondary is their weak link (Devlin's thrown for over 700 yards against them the past two years.) Mitchell doesn't have much room for error against UD. He's going to need to have just about a career game. EWU has success in both places, it'll be a close, competitive game, and probably decided late. This time of year, you go with the best combination of defense and quarterbacking. I think UD's got an obvious edge both places, and EWU will need to elevate their play in both of those areas to even it out.

dudeitsaid
January 6th, 2011, 08:10 PM
Do you think he would say anything but that? Even if he thought he couldn't start at Delaware he wouldn't say it.

Actually...yes. He could've said a myriad of other things that would have been very respectful. He could've called TJ EWU's best offensive weapon, the best RB in the Big Sky, one of the best runners in the country, etc, etc, etc. But to say he is "bar none" the best RB in the country is more than just adding fluff to the media.

I don't know Keeler from Adam, but he seems like a man who puts more value in his words than to just say things he doesn't mean for convenience. Regardless, I'll take his words at face value and hope like heck the rumors of TJ going into the draft this year are false. He put up gaudy numbers in a pass happy offense. It's not like we were run first, or run only like many FCS offenses. He is truly a special player that will do incredible things next year.

Till then, Go EAGS, and Congrats to JC Sherritt for winning the Buchanon Award. That's one Payton winner, and two Buchanon winners for EWU since 05!

Screamin_Eagle174
January 7th, 2011, 10:49 PM

Apparently they couldn't. xcoffeex

I-16Bandit
January 7th, 2011, 10:50 PM
Apparently they couldn't. xcoffeex

Bahahaha! Give it to 'em!

Screamin_Eagle174
January 7th, 2011, 10:51 PM

You awake? :D

Screamin_Eagle174
January 7th, 2011, 10:52 PM
= Delaware wins

Or not.

dudeitsaid
January 8th, 2011, 12:14 AM
Great game from both teams in the National Championship. Congrats to the Eastern Eagles, who against the majority of opinion and odds prevailed in the same style they have played all season. Like I said, if they were to win, it would be in an unlikely fashion. Few people would have expected the Eagles down 19 to zip to score 20 straight in under two quarters against the top defense in the FCS.

The CAA is obviously a very strong conference in FCS football. But tonight proves there are teams out there that are just as strong and better than the strongest of CAA teams. 3 CAA teams in the playoffs got beaten by non CAA teams. And the championship that had been virtually awarded to Delaware, almost solely on the merits of their performance in the CAA for the last three weeks on these blogs, and in the words of the announcers on ESPN ("Delaware is 30 minutes away from the National Championship: with not qualifications given) was found to belong to Eastern. The championship belongs not to any conference. Whether more teams make it from one conference or another is almost completely irrelevant. Every eligable team has it's opportunity from the beginning of the season. And the championship will always ultimately be settled on the field. It's an interesting fact and figure that so many CAA teams have been in the NC over the past eight years. But I find it more impressive to see the achievements of a single team who establishes a culture, reputation, recruiting, facilities, and philosophies to win, and to be in the conversation on a regular basis. Delaware is definitely one of those universities. Appalachian is definitely one of those storied programs. And I would say Montana is as well, as they have made noise for a long time, and no doubt will rise again to high levels of FCS football. EWU seems to be starting something of the sort. They have been in the playoffs a good bit over the past few years, and now experienced the highest level of success. Hopefully it keeps going and only gets better. Looking forward to next year with the return of so many of the components of this years championship team in Kaufman, the Johnson twins, Taiwan Jones, Bo Levi Mitchell (Who saved his best football for last), Renard Williams, and others. Congrats Eagles, what an incredible season and amazing victory!!!

Screamin_Eagle174
January 8th, 2011, 12:24 AM
Great game from both teams in the National Championship. Congrats to the Eastern Eagles, who against the majority of opinion and odds prevailed in the same style they have played all season. Like I said, if they were to win, it would be in an unlikely fashion. Few people would have expected the Eagles down 19 to zip to score 20 straight in under two quarters against the top defense in the FCS.

The CAA is obviously a very strong conference in FCS football. But tonight proves there are teams out there that are just as strong and better than the strongest of CAA teams. 3 CAA teams in the playoffs got beaten by non CAA teams. And the championship that had been virtually awarded to Delaware, almost solely on the merits of their performance in the CAA for the last three weeks on these blogs, and in the words of the announcers on ESPN ("Delaware is 30 minutes away from the National Championship: with not qualifications given) was found to belong to Eastern. The championship belongs not to any conference. Whether more teams make it from one conference or another is almost completely irrelevant. Every eligable team has it's opportunity from the beginning of the season. And the championship will always ultimately be settled on the field. It's an interesting fact and figure that so many CAA teams have been in the NC over the past eight years. But I find it more impressive to see the achievements of a single team who establishes a culture, reputation, recruiting, facilities, and philosophies to win, and to be in the conversation on a regular basis. Delaware is definitely one of those universities. Appalachian is definitely one of those storied programs. And I would say Montana is as well, as they have made noise for a long time, and no doubt will rise again to high levels of FCS football. EWU seems to be starting something of the sort. They have been in the playoffs a good bit over the past few years, and now experienced the highest level of success. Hopefully it keeps going and only gets better. Looking forward to next year with the return of so many of the components of this years championship team in Kaufman, the Johnson twins, Taiwan Jones, Bo Levi Mitchell (Who saved his best football for last), Renard Williams, and others. Congrats Eagles, what an incredible season and amazing victory!!!

xthumbsupx

clawman
January 8th, 2011, 06:57 AM
LOL, this is the same kind of bravado we heard from the NDSU and NOVA fans

As I was saying!!

ThompsonThe
January 8th, 2011, 08:08 AM
Congrats to all Eastern Washington fans, alums and their team!

Not just in winning the national championship but in how it was done. Seems like even the announcers were declaring Delaware the NC by halftime. The score being 19-6 with a little over 8 minutes to go in the game, the faces of the worried Hens fans, then the score to bring it to 19-13, then the additional pain in the Blue Hen fans faces, and finally the one point lead, plenty of time left for UD, but then just short. Priceless.

Delaware, you have a good team. I know it must really hurt to lose the last two national championship games you have played. I am sure that your CAA breathren will figure out something about how it was better for you to lose than win

Rekdiver
January 8th, 2011, 08:14 AM
Seein Joe Bidens face was priceless.

caribbeanhen
January 8th, 2011, 08:55 AM
Congrats to all Eastern Washington fans, alums and their team!

Not just in winning the national championship but in how it was done. Seems like even the announcers were declaring Delaware the NC by halftime. The score being 19-6 with a little over 8 minutes to go in the game, the faces of the worried Hens fans, then the score to bring it to 19-13, then the additional pain in the Blue Hen fans faces, and finally the one point lead, plenty of time left for UD, but then just short. Priceless.

Delaware, you have a good team. I know it must really hurt to lose the last two national championship games you have played. I am sure that your CAA breathren will figure out something about how it was better for you to lose than win

after the first EWU TD to Kauffman ( a stud by the way) the writing was on the wall, but Id rather lose a heartbreaker in the final game than be eliminated by Nova at home a month ago...

srgrizizen
January 8th, 2011, 10:01 AM
Yes, HZN, Delaware has one of the best programs in the FCS and some of the best, knowledgfeable fans. But then you also have Cowboy91, whose moronic generalizations about an entire league drove me to the attempt at satire. If ever Karma was at work, it targeted him last night. I noticed the vaunted Delaware defense looked helpless in the fourth quarter, largely due to an extremely weak pass rush. And EWU stuffed your offense, what was it, four straight possessions when it counted. Pretty good for a league that doesn't play defense.
But Delaware looked great at times and clearly belonged in the NC.

I notice we haven't seen Cowboy91 showing up here to enhjoy his heaping portion of crow, and I don't expect we will either. Congrats to EWU, it was great to see them do what the Griz couldn't quite accomplish. Looks like we'll be chasing them in the BSC for awhile. There may even be a temporary lull in the all the derogatory shots directed at the BSC, but probably not for long.

GaSouthern
January 8th, 2011, 12:16 PM
This thread is hilarious

bojeta
January 8th, 2011, 12:34 PM
Seein Joe Bidens face was priceless.

I was just gonna say!!! lol... OMG! My brother and I were saying to each other... "Can you imagine the look on Biden's face??"... and then the camera cut to him!! LMAO all night long!!!!!

bojeta
January 8th, 2011, 01:39 PM
This says it all:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v455/bojeta/Graphics%20Projects/Biden-before-after.jpg